7.8

1. Oct 5, 2013
    Wonderful. Delivers that sense of grandeur only one or two movies a year can muster. Alfonso Cuaron is a brilliant filmmaker. The long tracking shot at the beginning is...for lack of better words...absolutely friggin' insane. What an amazing experience.
  2. Oct 15, 2013
    The cinematography and effects were astounding, and Sandra Bullock does a great job in her role. The more action-like scenes were gripping, and you just can't help but feel fear for the character's that you just met. The director did a great job not forcing suspense, but creating it quite naturally.
  3. Oct 4, 2013
    Alfonso Cuaron’s new feature film, “Gravity,” a movie about an astronaut is on graveness space in his spectacular 3D experience. Mr. Cuaron has done previous films that I enjoy so much including “Y’Tu Mama Tambien,” “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,” and “Children of Men,” now he decides to make his latest space adventure about two astronauts were on the mission to repair theAlfonso Cuaron’s new feature film, “Gravity,” a movie about an astronaut is on graveness space in his spectacular 3D experience. Mr. Cuaron has done previous films that I enjoy so much including “Y’Tu Mama Tambien,” “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,” and “Children of Men,” now he decides to make his latest space adventure about two astronauts were on the mission to repair the satellite in outer space. Then, a probe pollution appears from nowhere and damages the satellite; however, the two astronauts split away in a dark gravity of space. One space scientist, Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock), is on the loose and she has no way out to save herself in space. Dr. Stone decided to take care of herself and she needs to find a way to be safe, so she can come back home from earth. Mr. Cuaron makes a wonderful experiences to travel deep in outer space to see a beautiful atmosphere and an epic suspense for one the best films I ever seen.. Expand
  4. Nov 4, 2013
    This movie is every bit as good as it's hyped to be. It was even better than expected. A real thrill ride. I was expecting a very low-key movie with lots of philosophical dialogue...what I got was non-stop suspense and action. After the first few minutes, it has you on the edge of your seat right until the end. Your heart won't stop pounding for 80 straight minutes.
  5. Oct 15, 2013
    I personally wish the sci-fi genre were the dominant genre of hollywood. Unfortunately, it's not. However, this film makes up for the lack of SF films and the crappy ones that do come out. It's an 11/10 for all the reasons other user reviews have said. People would be insane to dislike this film. Two of the best actors in the game at the top of it. Must see.
  6. Nov 26, 2013
    I absolutely loved this film. Its the first 3D film I've seen that really makes good use of the technology and adds to the enjoyment of the film rather than being a gimmicky distraction. Some of the negative reviews say there's no character development and dull performances I don't think there needs to be any over the top performances or typical Hollywood tropes. This film was somethingI absolutely loved this film. Its the first 3D film I've seen that really makes good use of the technology and adds to the enjoyment of the film rather than being a gimmicky distraction. Some of the negative reviews say there's no character development and dull performances I don't think there needs to be any over the top performances or typical Hollywood tropes. This film was something different the visuals, sound, special effects, lighting, the story and the drama were the main aspects of the film and the characters were supposed to be ordinary people in a very unusual situation. There are enough films with over the top characters and I thought the performances of George Clooney and Sandra Bullock were fitting with the story.

This film is definitely best watched in a cinema in 3D.
  7. Oct 13, 2013
    Simply stunning. Technically brilliant film making puts you in space as and wonderful writing and acting have you holding your breath along with the characters. An astonishing achievement absolutely not to be missed and should be seen in 3D, which meaningfully adds to the experience.
  8. Oct 8, 2013
    Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are 2 astronauts who struggle for their lives when their space walk is shattered. The cast is small and the plot is simple, but this film packs a colossal wallop. The groundbreaking effects are truly spectacular (in every sense of the word). Director Alfonso Cuarón has created a dazzling cinematic masterpiece with gripping suspense that never lets up. EvenSandra Bullock and George Clooney are 2 astronauts who struggle for their lives when their space walk is shattered. The cast is small and the plot is simple, but this film packs a colossal wallop. The groundbreaking effects are truly spectacular (in every sense of the word). Director Alfonso Cuarón has created a dazzling cinematic masterpiece with gripping suspense that never lets up. Even with the amazing spectacle of outer space, he and Bullock create an intimate, emotional roller coaster ride. This is a filmmaking at its best. Don't miss it! Expand
  9. Oct 9, 2013
    Lived up to and exceeded my expectations. I am in utter awe of the cinematography and visual effects on this one. Immersive and innovative. A career-best from Sandra Bullock. This was a project of intellect, craftsmanship and dare I say spiritually coming together perfectly as one. I cannot imagine anything topping this for me. I have never seen anything like this, and I'll even soundLived up to and exceeded my expectations. I am in utter awe of the cinematography and visual effects on this one. Immersive and innovative. A career-best from Sandra Bullock. This was a project of intellect, craftsmanship and dare I say spiritually coming together perfectly as one. I cannot imagine anything topping this for me. I have never seen anything like this, and I'll even sound hyperbolic and say that this will be one of the films that defines our generation. A triumph. 10/10. Expand
  10. Nov 9, 2013
    There is a reason this movie is averaging 96 in Critic Scores and 8.3 in User Scores; It's is a cinematic masterpiece.

I will accept any scores in the range of 7-10 as being reasonable, anything in the green basically, but anyone that is scoring this film lower than a 7 and especially those people giving it 0, 1, 2, 3 etc are just being ridiculous and really shouldn't be allowed to post reviews and ratings in my opinion.

Trust me; this is a film that everyone who enjoys cinema should go and see and if it turns out you don't enjoy this film then trust me, you probably need to have a serious think about how you look at the world and interpret things in it because your take on reality is seriously distorted.

It's not "perfect" but I can't really find any genuinely good reason I'd drop it a full point that I'd feel right about, and certainly not just to appease those types of people who think "no film is 'perfect' so no film should score a 10" or whatever, so I might as well give it 10 because to me in this case I think it's basically earned it and to be totally honest, I'd also like to see that average User Score just a little higher too.

This film is brilliant and thank God the majority of people are smart enough to actually understand why and acknowledge it's greatness.
  11. Oct 5, 2013
    An outstanding film, I felt as if I were tumbling through space with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. Amazing cinematography, visual effects and a moving storyline, along with strong performances, coalesced into a well-told tale.
  12. Oct 5, 2013
    A movie that is both beautiful and terrifying at the same time. It has everything cinematography, visual effects, acting, screenplay, music and brilliant direction. This is the best film of 2013 for me.
  13. Oct 5, 2013
    Breathtaking, beautiful, and captivating. This is the best space movie I've ever seen. Stop reading these reviews and go see this movie already. The 3D is incredible, make sure to see it in IMAX.
  14. May 17, 2014
    Gravity is instantaneously one of the best SF films ever made. It's wonderfully acted, with a backbone of raw emotion running through it. And it's exciting. Truly, deeply exciting. I can't remember the last time I was biting my nails like I was during this film. From it's groundbreaking direction to it's unparallelled SFX, Gravity is an absolute masterpiece.
  15. Oct 6, 2013
    10/10 this movie is phenomenal. I do love space in general, taking me on a ride to actual space was breathe taking I was on the edge of my seat the whole movie. The ambient music put me in the best mood, it was funny at times, it was so emotional as well. Though this is a space simulation it still has a plot and a story that leaves you going home and just thinking really how it is in space10/10 this movie is phenomenal. I do love space in general, taking me on a ride to actual space was breathe taking I was on the edge of my seat the whole movie. The ambient music put me in the best mood, it was funny at times, it was so emotional as well. Though this is a space simulation it still has a plot and a story that leaves you going home and just thinking really how it is in space and you get a glimpse in this movie to see how it really is. The 18 people that just really dont get it well not every movie is for everyone but this really is fantastic movie and I will rewatch this movie over and over and over again. Expand
  16. Mar 6, 2014
    Intense and gripping in every way possible! It's truly one of the best science fiction films in recent years, and Sandra Bullock and George Clooney have done an amazing job in their acting! Simply a masterpiece!
  17. Nov 9, 2013
    Touching, funny, involving, human, simple, direct. This is perfect cinema. Utterly convincing, almost to the extent of making me queasy, though I soon got my space legs, Gravity makes maximum use of sound and vision.

Just remember to breathe!
  18. Jan 3, 2014
    The dialogue in this film is often wryly generic. Not only is this the only potential criticism of Gravity, it's actually (for me at any rate) another subtle positive. Cuaron recognises that his film revolves around a very simple premise: space collisions cause woman and man to hop between frying-pan and fire. If this were staged on Earth (in a boat, in a desert) it'd be predictable andThe dialogue in this film is often wryly generic. Not only is this the only potential criticism of Gravity, it's actually (for me at any rate) another subtle positive. Cuaron recognises that his film revolves around a very simple premise: space collisions cause woman and man to hop between frying-pan and fire. If this were staged on Earth (in a boat, in a desert) it'd be predictable and only casually enjoyable. Instead Cuaron takes this simplistic framework and fills it with relentless physical tension, humbling cosmic scenery, and (most importantly, and most overlooked) a dread-inducing score. The sensation of watching a film that is so visceral yet so filled with physical nothingness is unrelentingly haunting. Clooney and Bullock are on form, but it hardly matters. The symphonic mastery of the action by itself makes this easily the best new film I've seen in months, maybe years. Proof that great movies are really only about entertainment. Expand
  19. Oct 11, 2013
    If you are seeing this movie, you MUST see it in IMAX 3D if possible. This is one of the handful of movies that must be seen in 3D.

When I first saw a previews for this movie, I was so sure it would be bad. I have never been more wrong about a film in my life. Everything about this movie is phenomenal. The acting is Oscar worthy, the sound design is flawless, and the visuals are spectacular. Gravity has a fairly simple story, but that is clearly by design. The character that Sandra Bullock plays appears relatively shallow, but in reality is so deep, SHE is the story. Especially in 3D, the movie pulls the viewer into the character, almost literally, and never lets go. You feel every emotion the character feels, including the absolute dread when you know something bad is going to happen. Your heart and mind alike race when the terrifying situations come about. I have to warn though, that if you suffer from any sort of anxiety, you might want to think twice about seeing this movie. I saw this with my wife, who has anxiety, and while she absolutely loved the movie, it was too much to handle at some points. This is not a film for the feint of heart. Either way, this movie will definitely be getting Oscar nominations. This is a must see film. Do yourself a favor though, and splurge on the IMAX 3D. You won't regret it.
  20. Orw
    Oct 13, 2013
    Saw it yesterday in 3D. It is trully one the most wonderful movies i've seen in my life. And not only because of its astonishing visual landscapes, but also because it has a moving story and two great performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. It was a trip, and only the best kind of movies give you that feeling. Congratulations to Alfonso Cuaron and his co-writers. Gravity is Brilliant.
  21. Oct 4, 2013
    Utterly breathtaking. Gravity is a terrifying, realistic, beautiful and amazing thrill ride filled with non-stop suspense and incredible tension along with fantastic visuals and score. This is definitely a must see film and can definitely qualify as one of the best films of the year.
  22. Jan 3, 2014
    The best movie of the year. Gives the most exciting experience. Performances are extraordinary. The movie that brings you into space where there is no sound and no oxygen.
  23. Apr 9, 2014
    The negative reviews tend to be from dullards who want to make themselves interesting by criticizing a movie that has been so widely praised, or people who want to critics the movie for not attempting to be what they want it to be.

Instead of criticizing it for what its not though we should enjoy what it is, a 90 minute roller coaster of a sci-fi movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. I wouldn't change a single thing about it and haven't met anyone in real life who has truly disliked it.
  24. Oct 4, 2013
    When I entered the cinema, I didn't expect to see a triumph in cinematography. Gravity is hands down the best movie of this year; it is fascinating, majestic and thoroughly dreadful at the same time. The visual is years ahead from the flock as the screenplay are probably the smoothest use of continuous shots I've ever seen. Acting from the talented Sandra Bullock and George Clooney isWhen I entered the cinema, I didn't expect to see a triumph in cinematography. Gravity is hands down the best movie of this year; it is fascinating, majestic and thoroughly dreadful at the same time. The visual is years ahead from the flock as the screenplay are probably the smoothest use of continuous shots I've ever seen. Acting from the talented Sandra Bullock and George Clooney is incredibly beautiful, the simple concept of characters in dire predicament has been crafted so masterfully, it's nigh impossible not to be drawn into this highly inspiring tale.

The visual is undeniably breathtaking. It flows stunningly from scene to scene, the camera shows just the right angle while explosion of color in dark space erupts. The occasional switches to first person view looks very natural, emphasizing the intense solitude, almost in frightening yet utterly captivating way. Graphical effect is clearly one of the best, not only in movie but in all medium; it is gloriously magnificent to witness such stellar value. It takes its time to build up the suspense and it focuses comprehensibly on the extraordinary moments while giving the audience a chance to savor them entirely. I truly admire Alfonso Cuarón from his work in Children of Men, he's a visionary and now he's perfected his craft with excellent editing and screenplay.

Screenplay does a marvelous job of trailing the characters in the gripping struggle for survival. Credits goes to the short list of cast; George Clooney who is charmingly dependable and especially Sandra Bullock who deliver a chilling intimate performance that can freeze the entire theater. She's nothing less than remarkable, she seems a bit withdrawn at first but as she fights through the ordeal, she gradually opens up and ultimately exhibits strengths beyond despair. This is one of rare occasions where a movie almost exclusively relies on an individual's acting, and Sandra Bullock delivers, many times over, taking the audience along in her personal journey. A truly inspiring performance.

The music is harrowingly gripping, almost to the extent of merging with the sound effect. It gives enchanting suspense and even more emotionally engaging at most points. When the visual, music and acting combine together, it reaches a pinnacle of how passionately powerful a movie could be. Its simple yet brilliant concept of living can be universally acceptable to everyone; it speaks to viewers across age, gender or race.

There may come movies that stand above the rest, movies that can restore wonder upon watching them as if you are experience watching big screen for the first time, they may not come often, but Gravity is clearly one such movie. With such elegant visual choreograph and splendid acting, it's a near magical experience.
  25. Feb 21, 2014
    Great movie and one of the best space survival i have ever see. I think is the best movie Sandra bullock have done and was an excellent performance from her. Gz for this great film you have create guys!
  26. Nov 10, 2013
    Completely blown away, best movie of the year in my opinion.

Technically flawless with masterful pacing and perfect performances, not to mention haunting sound editing, it's all there and more. For 90 minutes, which felt like a lifetime because of intense and packed the movie was, you feel like you're in space, struggling for survival against all odds. How often does a movie achieve
    Completely blown away, best movie of the year in my opinion.

For 90 minutes, which felt like a lifetime because of intense and packed the movie was, you feel like you're in space, struggling for survival against all odds. How often does a movie achieve something like that?
  27. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie was AMAZING!!!! I was able to watch it on IMAX and I was just blown away! The thrills start right away and watching Dr. Ryan Stone swirl around in space made me feel light-headed, which is a very good thing since few movies can really do that. The special effects are some of the best I've ever seen!! One scene, in particular, where we see one of the space shuttles get destroyedThis movie was AMAZING!!!! I was able to watch it on IMAX and I was just blown away! The thrills start right away and watching Dr. Ryan Stone swirl around in space made me feel light-headed, which is a very good thing since few movies can really do that. The special effects are some of the best I've ever seen!! One scene, in particular, where we see one of the space shuttles get destroyed by debris in the middle of the film, was nothing short of breathtaking. I also love the acting: George Clooney gives a light-hearted performance sure to get a few chuckles out of you, but this is Sandra Bullock's show, and she gives, probably, the best performance of her career. She's a character to root for since she has very strong character development. However, there are times when the dialogue gets a little sappy,but the actors give it their all, especially Bullock. Overall, with a mastery of special effects and a strong emotional core shown through great performances, Gravity is one of the best thrillers I have ever seen and will definitely blow you away as well! Expand
  28. Oct 4, 2013
    Easily one of the best space film I've ever seen and ever. Gravity offer high level of tension add with beautiful visual design and strong acting. This is masterpiece of movie. Watch it in 3D if possible. :D
  29. Sep 1, 2014
    One of the most breathtaking films I have ever seen in my entire life. The Academy should revoke Sandra's Oscar for The Blind Side and give her the statue for Gravity. She gives her greatest performance and one of the best performances this year. The technology at hand is spectacular on all fronts--no doubt an example of filmmaking in the years to come.
  30. Oct 6, 2013
    Brilliantly executed and acted all wrapped in outstanding special effects. I was on the edge of my seat for 99% of the film and had my hand covering my mouth for half of the movie (which often doesn't happen, even when I am watching horror films). A tour de force of a masterpiece by Alfonso Cuarón that will be in your head long after you've left the theatre. I foresee a few OscarBrilliantly executed and acted all wrapped in outstanding special effects. I was on the edge of my seat for 99% of the film and had my hand covering my mouth for half of the movie (which often doesn't happen, even when I am watching horror films). A tour de force of a masterpiece by Alfonso Cuarón that will be in your head long after you've left the theatre. I foresee a few Oscar nominations and wins for this one. Go see this. Now. Expand
  31. Jan 18, 2014
    Gravity is the best movie in years with its brilliant cinematography, terrific score and an ending that is one of a kind. No movie since Avatar has created astonishing visuals that transform a movie into a stunning work of art. Alonso Cuaron has created a cinematic masterpiece that sets a new standard in visual effects.
  32. Feb 14, 2014
    Gravity is pure cinematic brilliance. Hugely ambiguous and flawlessly executed. Sandra Bullock carries the film beautifully in what is surely the performance of her career.
  33. Mar 8, 2014
    "Gravity" is perhaps one of the most accurate representations of space. It's powerfully acted, has really excellent visuals, and you just really feel alone. I mean, when you see the shuttles destroyed by the debris and there's no sound, it's really freaky and effective. It's just absolutely brilliant.
  34. Nov 14, 2013
    Gravity is by far the best movie I have seen in years. The special effects ate awesome, the suspense is killer, and the action leaves you stunned. Gravity will earn several Oscars, at least in special effects. And if you do see it, make sure it's in 3D, otherwise you won't enjoy it nearly as much.
  35. Oct 18, 2013
    It will pull you in, even if you aren't the type to typically get 'in' to movies. A huge part of it is the amazing sound design/music (they run together to form a single audio singularity), which is filled with a lot less 'tell me how to feel' and a lot more primal sounds that more directly influence your feelings. Go. And see it in 3D!
  36. Oct 12, 2013
    The only thing more unbelievable than the scope and quality of this film is how some people seem to be completely unaffected by it. Poetic. That's the word that I couldn't keep out of my brain throughout the duration of this film. Gravity accomplishes the enormous feat of capturing great terror, beauty, and emotion (often simultaneously) by using no more than a single shot or sound. IThe only thing more unbelievable than the scope and quality of this film is how some people seem to be completely unaffected by it. Poetic. That's the word that I couldn't keep out of my brain throughout the duration of this film. Gravity accomplishes the enormous feat of capturing great terror, beauty, and emotion (often simultaneously) by using no more than a single shot or sound. I found this to be such a profound and captivating experience that several times I caught myself tearing up, even when the scene was devoid of any particularly moving dialogue. What the cast and crew have achieved here is at the very least incredibly impressive, and for viewers like me, simply astonishing. It quickly became very clear that the people behind this film have such a deep admiration for life and the universe, and like all great artists, they not only saw what many others did not, but they knew exactly how to get you to see it too. 10/10 Expand
  37. Oct 9, 2013
    Gravity is like a roller-coaster ride once on your heart starts to accelerate faster and faster your blood starts to boil your skin starts to crawl your palms start to sweat over and over until the final moment when the ride ends and then after the rush of adrenaline all you wanna do is get back on enjoy the thrill again. Gravity is an amazing film its so beautiful and tense through outGravity is like a roller-coaster ride once on your heart starts to accelerate faster and faster your blood starts to boil your skin starts to crawl your palms start to sweat over and over until the final moment when the ride ends and then after the rush of adrenaline all you wanna do is get back on enjoy the thrill again. Gravity is an amazing film its so beautiful and tense through out the whole film i was stuck to the set my eyes wide open i felt as if i was been punched in the head repetitively over and over again as conflict and more conflict blasted on to the screen, Gravity is a masterpiece their was no dull moments the film just blew me away i was truly amazed. 10/10 would bang, ohh and also the acting was really good besides the main character who in my opinion seemed to be rather board with her acting, this is what it looked like to me anyway, overall it was more the fact that i felt as if i was in space and was truly being challenged to survive it was such a great atmosphere. Expand
  38. Dec 16, 2013
    Cuarón has made what I thought was impossible. Gravity has become one of my best movies of all time. This was by far the best of Sandra bullocks career! Sheer brilliance!
  39. Oct 26, 2013
    this movie is so beautifully awesome, simple and touching... one of the best ever!
    Alfonso has given us the non ordinary suspense about an astronaut trying to survive and go back to earth...
    on the other hand, the visual is stunning, the acting is awesome and mostly, this movie is a WOW!
  40. Oct 6, 2013
    Intense and keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. This movie is pinned as just a survival story that takes place in space, but it connects on a much deeper level with the undertones and themes of loneliness, separation, and love. Beautiful and breathtaking visual effects, along with stuffing and emotional acting from Bullock. This is a must see movie to me 10/10
  41. Oct 4, 2013
    Wow! I rarely enthuse about any film these days, but this is something very special. Gravity is not only intense, devastating and ultimately life affirming, but has single handedly changed my opinion of Sandra Bullock, an actress who I normally have no time for. Full marks.
  42. Oct 4, 2013
    Everyone knows that both Sandra Bullock and George Clooney played their rolls beautifully. But one thing I want to mention that blew me away was the unsung hero of sound design. HOLY HELL it was spectacularly done. For a setting that has no sound and to make it seem that way is a feet that is out of this world (sorry for the pun). It may sound easy just to remove the Atmos effects butEveryone knows that both Sandra Bullock and George Clooney played their rolls beautifully. But one thing I want to mention that blew me away was the unsung hero of sound design. HOLY HELL it was spectacularly done. For a setting that has no sound and to make it seem that way is a feet that is out of this world (sorry for the pun). It may sound easy just to remove the Atmos effects but really, having done sound for TV myself it is very difficult to cover up. This is a film I will take notes from in the future. Expand
  43. Nov 16, 2013
    Brilliant movie! Visually stunning, with a storyline that has only two characters, and takes us on a roller coaster ride of suspense for the full length of the running time gets my vote for best movie of the year. Some minor problems with dialogue and character studies, but when I am so fully engaged in the movie that I feel like I am there with the actors, allows me to be forgiving ofBrilliant movie! Visually stunning, with a storyline that has only two characters, and takes us on a roller coaster ride of suspense for the full length of the running time gets my vote for best movie of the year. Some minor problems with dialogue and character studies, but when I am so fully engaged in the movie that I feel like I am there with the actors, allows me to be forgiving of the flaws.

After I left the theater and drove home I could not put on music or talk radio, I needed let the movie stay in my thoughts, uninterrupted, for a while. Another sign of a great movie.
  44. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie is a perfect 10

The visuals,the audio detail, the acting, the story, and execution were perfect. I have nothing bad to say about it

Great score

Sandra really proved herself in this movie and I think its a good role for her and a good move

I knew I wouldnt be disappointed by a movie with Alfonso's name on it
  45. Dec 13, 2013
    Hands down the best movie of 2013. Gravity is a creative and gripping survival film in space, featuring excellent cinematography, intense emotion, scenes that will leave you on the edge of your seat, and well-acting that should get noticed. People, if there's one movie that should sweep the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards, it's Gravity.
  46. Jan 29, 2014
    Gravity is one of those few films that attempt to portray the dynamics of outer space as best as it could be. At a running time of only an hour and a half, most of the film concerned the difficulty of the characters to move toward places they needed to be in order to survive. With no friction, the slightest push could set one off on a course taking them far from the home planet.

Sandra

Sandra Bullock delivers a strong performance as a newbie in the field, unaccustomed and uncomfortable with her environment, and she does well. Her every movement is clumsy and awkward. She feels sick, disorientated and panicked. The way she portrayed the character develop from this fearful bereaving person to the strong woman who finally faces reality and understands that while she has been dealt a cruel hand by fate on and off the earth, there's really nothing to do about it than just accept it and then fight for her life with every ounce of strength she has in her body.

George Clooney plays Matt, who is on his last mission. He is a jolly figure who engages in humorous and distracting monologues with Houston. But the strength of his character becomes apparent the moment the apocalypse of that world arrives at their doorstep.

The space-crafts shown are the International Space Station, Hubble Telescope and Chinese Tiangong. The majority of the action takes place around Hubble, where the characters are stationed. As always, the Russians mess up when they blow up a satellite of their own. The debris starts an accidental chain reaction which destroys every other spacecraft in its orbit, returning every ninety minutes to do more damage. The characters have to use this window to make their way without panicking as that consumes more oxygen. Alfonso Cuarón does well in weaving the entire environment in working to kill the characters.

The visual effects were the most believable that I've seen in a long time. The constant was the rim of the Earth, which was a welcoming sight in the wake of the chaos taking place. Tiny water droplets, explosions and debris from destroyed spacecraft were created with painstaking detail and enriched the picture. The effects did not overwhelm everything else and aided in the development of the story. The set design was exquisite, showing the interior of space-crafts, their controls, space suits, floating and drifting spacecraft.

There may be a few inaccuracies but they are quite forgiveable in contrast to the spectacle that Cuarón has created. The script was strong, so was the production design and visual effects. The direction managed to capture the sense of fear and confusion of the characters with some very poignant moments. The vast emptiness of space was constantly reminding everyone by its presence to its claim of being the main antagonist of the film.

Already being compared to 2001: A Space Odyssey, I can only concur that Gravity rivals that only in the departments of entertainment value, visual effects and its ability to affect mood using imagery and music. The former had a more interesting story while the plot of the latter was conceived to suit the demands of the effects, which isn't actually a bad thing but isn't enough to get the movie in the same league as the classics.

9.5
  47. Oct 11, 2013
    This is literally the best movie I have ever seen. There is so much to love. I have never left a theater speechless before. But I did that night, and I could not speak for at least half an hour afterwards.
  48. Dec 15, 2013
    Gravity is for me, the best film i have ever seen. It is so intense, so emotional, so breathtaking, and so beautiful. I don't know in what world Sandra Bullock dosen't win Best Actress. all the haters
  49. Oct 4, 2013
    It takes more than just visual effects to hold a film together and Sandra Bullock is the pull in “Gravity.” For the majority of the film, Bullock is alone, and while acting in general is no easy feat, acting solo is an actor’s most challenging role and Bullock is effortlessly sensational. Her roller coaster of emotions from the start of the film to its final frame are riveting. TheIt takes more than just visual effects to hold a film together and Sandra Bullock is the pull in “Gravity.” For the majority of the film, Bullock is alone, and while acting in general is no easy feat, acting solo is an actor’s most challenging role and Bullock is effortlessly sensational. Her roller coaster of emotions from the start of the film to its final frame are riveting. The suspense in this film would be null without Bullock’s wonderful and relatable connection. The Cuaróns’ makes Ryan an "everyman," so watching her struggle to save and be saved is like having a sinking feeling of watching one’s self go through this traumatic ordeal. Bullock wasn’t the first choice to play Ryan, but Cuarón should count himself lucky that he landed a powerful, often beautiful, performance in the end. While “Gravity” gives audiences a sensational and unparalleled fictional view of the final frontier, Bullock says it best as her dread sets in: “I hate space.” For those who have always dreamed of becoming an astronaut or visiting the stars, this incredibly tense film might change your mind. Going in to the film knowing disaster will strike just makes the tension that much greater and when Cuarón unleashes hell upon Ryan and Kowalski, the suspense is relentless and exhausting. “Gravity” deserves the IMAX treatment more than most films. An already immersive experience is incredibly heightened by the big screen format. Check out on IMAX if possible. It will be worth the extra coin. It remains to be seen if “Gravity” will have a long shelf-life once every new science fiction movie hereafter copies everything from its realism to its naturalistic effects to Steven Price’s hypnotic and vertigo-inducing score. “Gravity” is definitely an experience an event and whether or not that lasts, as of right now, there’s just nothing else like it. And that is a rare treat at the movies. Expand
  50. Jan 15, 2014
    Believe the hype this is an amazing film. It truly is. You may have seen survival films before but not like this. Go see it now.

Unlike many films set in space this focuses on realism. You'll find no aliens in this film, no laser guns and no space battles. Instead this shows us a snap shot of how astronauts working in space, notably the difficulty in operating in a completely hostile environment.

Many people will watch this film and love this visuals especially if seen in 3D. Whilst I agree it looks great in 3D seeing this in 2D would still be impressive. But even if the visuals weren't impressive this would still be a very memorable film.

I was mostly impressed with how space is presented; not as a beautiful, magical area with endless wonder, exploration and potential for adventure (like sailing the seven seas). But instead space is shown to be an environment where the slightest thing changing or going wrong results in death or the threat of death. Even with high degrees of safety and training we cannot control this environment. And the physics which applies to space I've had a concept of but never seen just how different it is to Earth is shown to be a danger itself. WOW.

Onto the characters. There is only two of them. And both do a great job with George Clooney easily portraying the calm, experienced astronaut; Sandra Bullock portraying the technical proficient and capable yet flawed and inexperienced astronaut. Well done to both of them for giving a very memorable performance.

Lastly I want to praise the running time of the film. Too often I see movies which run long because it is seen as best practice. The result is a drawn out story which can loose audience interest and therefore fail to entertain us. At 91 minutes long it absolutely captives you from start to finish. I would rather see a very concisely told story that is only 1.5 hours long than sit through a so-called 3 hour epic which is uninteresting, unnecessarily long and not entertaining in segments (e.g. The Hobbit).

Go see the film of 2013 today.
  51. Oct 12, 2013
    Amazing action movie. Displays zero-g physics better than any sci-fi movie I've seen (even if not entirely perfectly), which makes for a really unusual environment. Also, it is a space movie, and it is not sci-fi. Which is a shock right there. There's not much "interaction" and "character development", and thank God for that, we have that in literally every movie except this one already,Amazing action movie. Displays zero-g physics better than any sci-fi movie I've seen (even if not entirely perfectly), which makes for a really unusual environment. Also, it is a space movie, and it is not sci-fi. Which is a shock right there. There's not much "interaction" and "character development", and thank God for that, we have that in literally every movie except this one already, and in large amounts. There is however a psychological drama about getting over yourself and doing much more than you ever thought you were able to, not giving up until the very end. Also did I mention awesome action in zero-g? Expand
  52. Oct 20, 2013
    Space... the final frontier... of near death and thrilling situations.
    That summs the movie up. If we left out the jaw dropping ambiance,
    scenery and cinematography. When the first cut in this movie happened I clapped. Wanna know why? Because it doesn't happen till 3 minutes into the movie when the satellite debry starts cutting through dudes faces. That is masterpiece editing done by
    Space... the final frontier... of near death and thrilling situations.
    That summs the movie up. If we left out the jaw dropping ambiance,
    scenery and cinematography. When the first cut in this movie happened I
    clapped. Wanna know why? Because it doesn't happen till 3 minutes into
    the movie when the satellite debry starts cutting through dudes faces.
    That is masterpiece editing done by the proud Mexican (I'm Mexican)
    Alfonso Cuarón. The flowing of every scene is smooth but tense at the
    same time. You gasp for air and control when you are put in Bullock's
    point of view while she spins into the nothingness of space. And those
    scenes last... and are absolutely beautifully choreographed. The tense
    atmosphere that Cuarón achieves doesn't let go of you until the last
    second of the movie for you to realize how sweaty you are. The script
    and dialogue aren't something to be amazed about, but the acting makes
    up for it. The charm and charisma of Clooney are entertaining and you
    really believe some of the scenes done by Sandra Bullock who plays this
    really unlucky (but at the same time lucky?) astronaut. Cuarón achieves
    greatness with eye popping visuals and a surprisingly low (for the
    things you experience in the movie) budget and that is something you
    don't see that often. I can really see some Oscar statues in Cuaron's
    pocket in 2014.
  53. Oct 15, 2013
    "Gravity" is not only a beautiful, visual and science-fiction film, it's more than that. Alfonso Cuarón has created pure 7th art. It has emotiional weight, life toil and spiritual philosophy Sandra Bullock is great, I think that Ryan Stone is her best role in her filmography. George Clooney is a cool Jiminy Cricket in this film. It's curious, this film is now but already is classic.
  54. Oct 4, 2013
    In a year where some movies pass off as cheap entertainment, this movie delivers and shows the wonders and thrills of cinema. It's absolutely breathtaking while showing both the beauty and the horrors of space. The acting, visuals, cinematography, everything is about this movie is just flawless. Overall, this is truly one of the best movies ever made. It's freaking awesome! Be sure toIn a year where some movies pass off as cheap entertainment, this movie delivers and shows the wonders and thrills of cinema. It's absolutely breathtaking while showing both the beauty and the horrors of space. The acting, visuals, cinematography, everything is about this movie is just flawless. Overall, this is truly one of the best movies ever made. It's freaking awesome! Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies! Expand
  55. Oct 12, 2013
    Awesome, damn incredible! Special effects are fantastic, when I watched this movie in 3d I always shuddered when scrap was flying to the screen. I strongly reccoment anyone to watch thisd in IMAX theatre you will forget where you are, you will feel yourself in space with brave astronauts. Views of Earth are breathtaking. This movie is not only about how beautiful Earth is, but also aboutAwesome, damn incredible! Special effects are fantastic, when I watched this movie in 3d I always shuddered when scrap was flying to the screen. I strongly reccoment anyone to watch thisd in IMAX theatre you will forget where you are, you will feel yourself in space with brave astronauts. Views of Earth are breathtaking. This movie is not only about how beautiful Earth is, but also about value of life, about force of will, to fight for your life, so please avoid your "hysterical woman" comments. 10 from 10 Expand
  56. Jan 17, 2014
    Gravity is a visceral, dark and horrifying experience. But it is also one of the most hopeful and inspirational films I have ever seen.

The film is far more enjoyable the less you know before going into it, but from the trailers you have already seen that it is about two astronauts caught in a tidal wave of chaos as they are thrown into certain doom in outer space. The simplicity of

The simplicity of its plot benefits the film and reinforces it's core architectural foundations. It is a film that wants you to experience everything it's two characters are experiencing. All these feelings that are passed onto us as the viewer and are emphasized via the use of some amazingly placed POV shots, sound and subliminal imagery.
    The result of all this, is a film that only gave me a couple of occasions in which I could release my firm grip form the arms of my chair, and breathe again. And I bloody loved it.

The imagery that I spoke of earlier is something that cannot be talked about in any kind of detail with possibly detracting from what makes it so special. The concepts of loss, denial acceptance and rebirth are the most prominent, but there are also various nods at the journey of mankind and our downfall.

In the day and age where special effects are in just about every film, Gravity delivers a marvel of visual effects that are some of the most amazing I have ever seen.
    From gorgeous shots spanning the earth from outer space, to space stations tearing themselves apart throwing millions of particles across the screen all at once. The film does not do anything that is out of character. These effects, could be real. And if you let go of whatever else is going on in your life for just a short while, you may get dragged in, and lost. And that is the experience that is well worth the price of admission.

I cannot emphasize enough how astonishing Gravity is. In truth, it may be one of the most successfully realized films I have ever seen. One of the many thoughts that lingered with me long after I left my chair in the theatres was "How bloody long am I going to have to wait until this is out on Blu-ray?"

A 10.

Jack Valentine
  57. Oct 13, 2013
    Congratulations, Mr. Cuaron and his marketing team successfully extracted US $123 mio in 2 weeks from United States of Americans. By the way your movie sucked gravity! Life of Pi was much better than this movie which didn't have any story. The most funniest part was when Kowalski comes in Stone's dream and says did you try that button or this one, come on you got to get home.
  58. Oct 23, 2013
    This film could be summed up in one sentence "The Power of Simplicity", because the script is so simple that if another director surely spoil the movie, but the form is so beautiful Cuaron directed and acted in and takes only ones in the first person what makes the movie very tense but also very entertaining, this sure Sandra Bulock the Bullet film acting in one of his best performancesThis film could be summed up in one sentence "The Power of Simplicity", because the script is so simple that if another director surely spoil the movie, but the form is so beautiful Cuaron directed and acted in and takes only ones in the first person what makes the movie very tense but also very entertaining, this sure Sandra Bulock the Bullet film acting in one of his best performances and possible Oscar nominee, but the best scenes are the ones that George Clooney appears with his ironic way and firm Expand
  59. Oct 20, 2013
    Gravity permeates into my mind as an evitable experience. It stays with me for days--now it's almost a week. I guess no other space-thrillers (in the near future) can defy Gravity's terrifying demonstration. Though the plot is quite simple, the directing by Alfonso Cuaron overshadows that--and it should stay that way. If you have not seen it yet, go to the nearest theater right now andGravity permeates into my mind as an evitable experience. It stays with me for days--now it's almost a week. I guess no other space-thrillers (in the near future) can defy Gravity's terrifying demonstration. Though the plot is quite simple, the directing by Alfonso Cuaron overshadows that--and it should stay that way. If you have not seen it yet, go to the nearest theater right now and watch it! If it is not the best space-thriller ever made, it is the best film I have seen this year. Expand
  60. Nov 11, 2013
    I saw this film several weeks ago but looking back I find it quite possibly the best new film I saw all year (so far). Of course, presumably there are a number of great foreign-language films from 2013 yet to be released in the USA, as well as any number of your usual end-of-year Oscar bait releases on the way. But rarely have I seen a film as deeply engaging and enjoyable as GRAVITY. MyI saw this film several weeks ago but looking back I find it quite possibly the best new film I saw all year (so far). Of course, presumably there are a number of great foreign-language films from 2013 yet to be released in the USA, as well as any number of your usual end-of-year Oscar bait releases on the way. But rarely have I seen a film as deeply engaging and enjoyable as GRAVITY. My only quibble was that Sandra Bullock's performance sometimes reminded me too much of her character in SPEED. All in all, though, GRAVITY is a truly extraordinary and quite possibly classic achievement in cinematic art. Expand
  61. Oct 16, 2013
    One of the best movies I've ever seen! Non stop intensity throughout the whole film! With 3D it felt like I was actually there with them. The visual effects and cinematography are some of the best I've seen. Will be really upset if this doesn't win some awards at the Oscars this upcoming year.
  62. Oct 4, 2013
    Just saw it in IMAX & gotta say this movie perfect for IMAX experience!! Sense of place, atmosphere, emotions ALL is just incredible!!! Probably, effect will be somewhat lost on smaller screen. Catch it now, you won't be disapointed!!!
  63. Nov 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The negative reviews here are baffling. Truly baffling. A lot of them are saying "there's no plot". Well what exactly are we looking for here? Debris from a destroyed satellite impacts upon a small-scale mission above Earth and we then follow in near real-time an attempt by the survivors to return to Earth. So we spend about 90 minutes in that situation and what happens is what happens. How much of a character arc can we really expect?

Other comments are like this :
    "Bad acting". Utter drivel.
    "Sets feminism back with a female character who just panics and hyperventilates". WTF?

I think I'd panic, too. A lot.

Clooney's character was calm because this wasn't his first rodeo. Bullock's Ryan was on her first trip out. She's set adrift in space without a way to take control and that caused her to panic. A lot. Seems reasonable. It had nothing to do with her gender. Nothing in this film is concerned with gender. It's absolutely ludicrous to try and make an argument that this film is diminishing feminism.

One of the '0' reviews I read said that people who are raving about the film are too embarrassed to say they don't like it because they've bought into the hype. Honestly, I'd say it was the other way around. These reviewers are determined not to like this film.

It's clear that I'm very much in favour of this film.
    You should see it for yourself.
    When you do, remind yourself of the strongly negative opinions and try and relate them to what you've just seen. You should logically conclude that the negative reviews are, as I said, baffling.

If you find yourself agreeing with the bizarre negativity, then re-read this and know that now I'm complaining about you. Yes, you. You baffle me.
  64. Oct 4, 2013
    Finally! A space movie that does not involve aliens, supernatural events, or even psychological events. It is just you and sandra bullock in space, experiencing events in space that could most definitely happen. It's gripping, intense, and most of all the soundtrack and sound effects are by far some of the best that I have ever heard. One thing though, don't take your children to go seeFinally! A space movie that does not involve aliens, supernatural events, or even psychological events. It is just you and sandra bullock in space, experiencing events in space that could most definitely happen. It's gripping, intense, and most of all the soundtrack and sound effects are by far some of the best that I have ever heard. One thing though, don't take your children to go see their movies. All of their dreams to be astronauts will be crushed by experiencing the true horrific nature of space and most of all....Gravity. Expand
  65. Oct 6, 2013
    I was a bit skeptical about this movie. When I went to go see it I realized how good this movie really is. O was amazed by the effects and sound. It had very intense moments that will have you at the edge of your seat. The ending was so intense and made me feel like is she going to make it. This is probably the best movie of this year. WATCH IN 3D. trust me 3d makes it so much better
  66. Nov 12, 2013
    You may have heard some hype floating around about this “little” movie and its big achievement… believe it! ‘Gravity’ is one of the best films to hit the big screen all year and, through staggering technical accomplishment, it quite easily made its mark as a vital contributor to the visual language of cinema. The screenplay may not be an elaborate piece of work, but it gets the job done.You may have heard some hype floating around about this “little” movie and its big achievement… believe it! ‘Gravity’ is one of the best films to hit the big screen all year and, through staggering technical accomplishment, it quite easily made its mark as a vital contributor to the visual language of cinema. The screenplay may not be an elaborate piece of work, but it gets the job done. Through Alfonso Cuaron’s accomplished direction the ideas come into fruition and the simplicity of the script is given a grand, new life. Cuaron crafts a staggering tale of survival against seemingly impossible odds, and splices it with spiritual motifs and nods to some classic science fiction films. When a space shuttle is destroyed by debris from a decimated Russian Satellite, the last two survivors of the disaster become stranded in space and are forced to use their wit and will to live in order to return to mother Earth. Sandra Bullock delivers her career best turn as rookie astronaut, Ryan Stone, who faces the brunt of Space’s fury. Her arc as a hero placed in repetitive danger may (or may not) have been a shortcoming of the script, but that question was put to rest by Bullock’s convincing lead presence. Her attempts to overcome one near-death obstacle after another never got boring. George Clooney turns up the charm, and gives his best George Clooney impersonation, as the veteran astronaut who guides our imperiled heroine along the way. This was such a beautifully made film. What Cuaron did to bring this space spectacle to the screen is beyond my understanding; and I’m quite happy just marveling at its wonder. The visual effects are obviously groundbreaking stuff, and if Emmanuel Lubezki doesn’t finally win that elusive Oscar for his arresting cinematography I will lose all hope in humanity. That 20 minute single shot opening scene is enough to earn him the award. Just as elegant as the visuals were the sound designs, sparse musical score and that excellent sound mix that strives for realism. That’s what I appreciated most about this film, Alfonso Cuaron’s attempt at creating a realistic space experience; I was actually caught in the illusion of weightlessness and silence that is definitive of space. In the process he not only created a realistic space experience, but also an astonishing cinematic one. Expand
  67. Oct 22, 2013
    This is no transformers or any action packed blockbuster, but is a gripping, intense film that will keep you at the edge of your seat throughout. A refreshing and emotional thrill ride for those riddled with action blockbuster fatigue, you will leave the theatre feeling that it had been worth every cent.

Stand out points of this film include the visual effects, cinematography, and

Stand out points of this film include the visual effects, cinematography, and Sandra Bullocks. It's still in theatres so I definitely recommend watching, in 3D for that extra wow factor.
  68. Oct 5, 2013
    So far, Gravity is the best film I have seen this year. Really, I'd be lying if I didn't say it was one of the best films of this year. The story is probably one of the most original and terrifying stories I've seen in a long time. Not only is it something different in the film industry for once, but it gives me the chills that horror games wish they could replicate. It's better hereSo far, Gravity is the best film I have seen this year. Really, I'd be lying if I didn't say it was one of the best films of this year. The story is probably one of the most original and terrifying stories I've seen in a long time. Not only is it something different in the film industry for once, but it gives me the chills that horror games wish they could replicate. It's better here because the fear of being detached in space is real, and it really pulls this off well. The visuals and effects are by far the best part of this film. I'd even go as far to say it's this decade's Jurassic Park in terms of special effects. The film also has excellent performances from Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. The both actors do a fine job at acting and expressing emotion in this film. In the end, my only problem is the use of music. The music, while beautifully composed, is used using the formula of getting very loud and suddenly cutting off. it gets really annoying at times, but thankfully this happens only a handful of times. Even if another film surpasses this as my favorite of the year, I still cannot deny that Gravity is a legendary film, one of the best I have ever seen. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good flick. Expand
  69. Dec 11, 2013
    Perfect. This was one of the best movies i have seen in my life. the movie had a great story, great plot, and amazing special effects. This movie is a good message for NASA to explain how to survive in space and how to now how it feels most importantly. This movie will take you on an epic journey and right now this has got to be a 10 out of 10. There is no other movie that can top this film.
  70. Oct 5, 2013
    Gravity is an enveloping, enthralling, gripping, and unique film. This movie has astounding visuals, but also has a fully realized story and great performances from the two leads. Cuaron's ambition pays off big here, and I hope that this film sets a new higher standard for Hollywood productions.
  71. Oct 17, 2013
    The most incredible cinematic experience of my 39 years alive, by leaps and bounds. As far as I'm concerned this film was flawless. I would like to respond to another reviewer who criticized Sandra Bullock's portrayal of a "hysterical, incapable astronaut". The character she played was not a career astronaut, she was a scientist who trained for basic astronaut aptitude in order to goThe most incredible cinematic experience of my 39 years alive, by leaps and bounds. As far as I'm concerned this film was flawless. I would like to respond to another reviewer who criticized Sandra Bullock's portrayal of a "hysterical, incapable astronaut". The character she played was not a career astronaut, she was a scientist who trained for basic astronaut aptitude in order to go into space for a particular mission and this was her first time in space, engaging in a space walk no less. Regardless, she certainly proved her mettle by the end, didn't she? Sir Edmund Hillary, the first person to ascend Mt. Everest said, "It is not the mountain that we conquer, but ourselves." Sandra's character conquered herself and there is no greater achievement for any human being, in spite of the personality and emotional type they are born with and develop through life. Expand
  72. Oct 16, 2013
    Gravity is a first rate, charming but gripping complex drama, although claustrophobic, it is deep and absorbing, with dazzling effects, breathtaking performances, all in all, a fascinating, one of a kind ride, that you will stay with you for a long time. This film has real soul attached to it, you can feel the passionate making behind this film, the visuals are astonishing and look veryGravity is a first rate, charming but gripping complex drama, although claustrophobic, it is deep and absorbing, with dazzling effects, breathtaking performances, all in all, a fascinating, one of a kind ride, that you will stay with you for a long time. This film has real soul attached to it, you can feel the passionate making behind this film, the visuals are astonishing and look very real. The sequences are intense and gripping.You can easily connect with the film, because of the powerful performances and the gripping sequences, it is a legendary achievement. The cinematography is spellbinding, the soundtrack is fascinating, the visuals are dazzling, the performances are powerful yet complicated and thought provoking, the direction is masterful, I think that Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity is a remarkable Hollywood invention, a gripping and intense thriller, a masterful arty direction and a film that has a real soul. This is a type of a film that doesn't come every year. Expand
  73. Oct 5, 2013
    I had low expectations for this movie but after watching the film, I made a decision to never go to space. Space is a silent and dangerous place to go, that was what I learned after watching Gravity. The movie did an excellent execution of showing the dangers that space holds for it's visitors. The acting of Sandra Bullock was outstanding, the way she would say her lines and the way sheI had low expectations for this movie but after watching the film, I made a decision to never go to space. Space is a silent and dangerous place to go, that was what I learned after watching Gravity. The movie did an excellent execution of showing the dangers that space holds for it's visitors. The acting of Sandra Bullock was outstanding, the way she would say her lines and the way she acts, was such a joy to watch. George Clooney was excellent as well, his like perfect for an astronaut role. He knows that in situations like these, you have to be calm or else your going to die. The visual effects were like out of this world, scenes were ships are being destroyed by asteroids were one of the highlights of the film, because everyone in theatre had their jaws dropped. The movie showed us that giving up is not an option even if your trapped in a situation where escape is impossible and if you do succeed, your considered as an underdog. Gravity was such a good movie and it deserves a very high score. Gravity gets a 10/10 from Jetstar. Expand
  74. Nov 25, 2013
    An visually gorgeous thrill ride. Gravity provides a breathtaking view of the heavens that no other film has been able to provide in decades. Not only is this film a visual showcase, but it's an emotionally draining drama that delivers flawless performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, the script was beautifully written as well. The film's script has been criticized for someAn visually gorgeous thrill ride. Gravity provides a breathtaking view of the heavens that no other film has been able to provide in decades. Not only is this film a visual showcase, but it's an emotionally draining drama that delivers flawless performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, the script was beautifully written as well. The film's script has been criticized for some "cheesy lines," yet, the film Titanic carries some extremely cheesy lines, and that film's script has been hailed as one of the best scripts ever written. This film carries deeper meaning that only those who think about it after seeing it will truly understand. Gravity is an absolute masterpiece, this film will be nominated, if not, win for best picture. If not best picture, then best actress: Sandra Bullock. If not best actress, best special effects. Its a must see. Expand
  75. Oct 5, 2013
    WoW!!!!! Absolutely loved it. I was so stressed in the cinema that sometime I closed my eyes because I couldn't see S.Bullock suffering so much. Very good movie, with a lot of suspense and action. In addition, it's very dramatic. Go see it!!!
  76. Feb 6, 2014
    I very rarely watch movies at IMAX theaters. Between the hassle of finding compatible theaters, reserving seats, and covering the exorbitant ticket prices, often times the inconveniences of the IMAX experience simply outweigh any of its redeeming qualities. In fact, I only watched one film in IMAX this year. And I am so thankful that film was Alfonso Cuarón’s celestial drama Gravity.I very rarely watch movies at IMAX theaters. Between the hassle of finding compatible theaters, reserving seats, and covering the exorbitant ticket prices, often times the inconveniences of the IMAX experience simply outweigh any of its redeeming qualities. In fact, I only watched one film in IMAX this year. And I am so thankful that film was Alfonso Cuarón’s celestial drama Gravity.
    Let’s talk first about the visuals. Earth when viewed from high above the atmosphere, however spectacular, strategically appears like a dirty marble when compared to the glistening metals and soft whites that glow like diamonds against the pitch black space backdrop. Thus, in scenes where Sandra Bullock is drifting away from a wrecked satellite, her coruscating white suit set against the blackness of outer space masterfully emphasizes her isolation, eliciting powerful emotions of fear and solitude. The painstaking effort to render every detail of the satellites not only captures the beauty of the set, but also glorifies the devastation that ensues; tons of satellite debris ricocheting at the speed of a bullet reduce space stations to floating rubble in a manner so remarkably grand and cinematic, all we can do is sit petrified and look on with rapt eyes.
    These special effects are spellbinding but, as is true with all movies, they are useless without the right cinematography to give them depth and relevance. By combining drawn-out shots of slow zero-gravity movement with rapid vertiginous action shots reminiscent of falling in a dream, director of photography Emmanuel Lubezki (The Tree of Life, Children of Men) uses a myriad of perspectives to create an environment with a feel so multidimensional, it simply cannot be achieved with 3D glasses alone. This spaciousness does not invite us into outer space, but instead shoves us right into it. For ninety minutes, we’re truly alone in space, and it is heart stopping.
    I was shocked to discover the film only cost roughly $100 million to make (compare to $237 million Avatar). However, this may be due in large to the fact that it had only two actors (and a handful of voices). Sandra Bullock and George Clooney essentially carried the film’s entire weight. Although both gave wonderful performances, I have to tip my hat to Bullock. While Clooney’s performance evoked comfortable, Bullock’s Oscar-worthy performance evoked deep, genuine, distressful fear. Every expression was executed with emotive strength; every line was uttered with confident awareness. She truly was the star of the film (pun intended).
    The screenplay, written by Alfonso and his 30-year old son Jonas, approaches science fiction and suspense in an unorthodox fashion, much like 2001: A Space Odyssey did. Rife with symbolism and introspective dialogue, Cuarón’s screenplay manages to avoid such science-fiction pitfalls as clichéd vapid characterizations and contrived plot twists. Profound themes, such as the extended metaphor of rebirth, never compete for priority with more superficial themes, such as survival and solitude. For this reason, the film functions as a popcorn-munching blockbuster as well as a thinking and feeling piece of art better than any other blockbuster or art film this year. The way Cuarón handles both ends of the film spectrum with such apparent ease and perpetual attentiveness merits some serious laud (and maybe even an Oscar).
    In the end, Gravity proves to be an experience everyone will enjoy – science aficionados, visual effects buffs, art-house hunters – as long as it is watched in 3D (trust me, the extra seven dollars have never been so worth it).

FINAL SCORE: 100 (perfect)
  77. Oct 5, 2013
    OH MY GOSH! this movie was so intense,damn! i was so nervous my heart was pumping like crazy oh god i don't know how to explain what the movie makes u feel,there were so many feeling,emotions just PERFECT!
  78. Jan 13, 2014
    Gravity is the definition of a perfect movie. It might be boring if you were expecting an action or Sci-Fi movie, but I personally had no idea of what I was going to watch the moment I bought my tickets, then, when I came out from the cinema, I was delighted.
  79. Oct 26, 2013
    If there was 20 out of 10, this would be my rating!
    Is it a good movie? I've seen it twice so far, I am planning to buy it, this is how good it is, I don't normally buy movies, this is a collector's item!!!
    Please see the movie it is well worth the money, pure art, pure genious
    Thank you Mr Alfonso Caurion! You have brightened up my life.
    God Bless you
  80. Oct 6, 2013
    This movie is a cinematic masterpiece. I dont want to say more because going in with no expectation beyond something happens in space is the best way. Also see it in 3d it really uses this well not as a gimmick.
  81. Oct 19, 2013
    Maybe it's one of the best films i've ever seen, it's an incredible experience. This tense movie give us a chance for the future of cinema, it's innovative, it's emotional,it's beautiful. Yes the script is a little dull but the incredible scenes are an opportunity to ignore that. The set it's an advance for the future technology and Cuaron give us a prove of how be a legendary directorMaybe it's one of the best films i've ever seen, it's an incredible experience. This tense movie give us a chance for the future of cinema, it's innovative, it's emotional,it's beautiful. Yes the script is a little dull but the incredible scenes are an opportunity to ignore that. The set it's an advance for the future technology and Cuaron give us a prove of how be a legendary director maybe i exaggerate but the time will say everything. The scenes ,all the scenes have that incredible silence connected with the music is something unique i never feel that with another movie, and the cinematography yes it's Lubezki, he has a great achievement in the beautiful scenes of our home. Gravity it's the second best film based in space, behind 2001 A Space Odyssey; but in the future the two masterpieces maybe will become a legend. It's the best film of the year. Expand
  82. May 25, 2014
    "I wake up go to work and i just drive"

Gravity is by far the best movie of the year so far beating out both Before Midnight and Mud. I had Chills from start to finish the movie felt more like a ride and it left me on the edge of my set the whole time. Though the movie is only 90 minutes it feels more like a two hour movie the way it paces itself. Alfonso Cuarón has done some great
    "I wake up go to work and i just drive"

Alfonso Cuarón has done some great movies in the past with Children of Men and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. This film is by far the best he has done everything from the Actors to the CGI was perfect. Watching this in IMAX format was definitely worth the hour drive in the rain and the $20 dollars for the ticket.

Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are amazing actors i love them both but Sandra Bullock was on another level in this film. Sure The Blind Side was a good movie but i think if she won Best Actress for that movie then then she should definitely win for Gravity it's a WAY WAY! better movie if she doesn't ill be pretty upset. George Clooney is an amazing actor and he proves it again in this with his performance. His dialog really hits you in the heart especially there at the end.

The CGI was on just amazing beating out everything i watched at the theaters this year it feels like you are there in space. The realism was on another level also beating out Europa Report which was another film that was high on realism. The moment when i seen the Airglow in the film i felt Bliss hit my body.

Overall i give it a Perfect 10 Truly an amazing film i knew this was going to AMAZING and i CAN'T WAIT for the blu-ray. I'm just in love with space and this movie was just another one i will add to my collection now onto the next great sci-fi Interstellar.
  83. Nov 8, 2013
    Like Kubrick's '2001: Space Odyssey', this movie is about space. But instead of psychologically challenging you, it challenges your body. I was shaking in my chair because of the thrill the movie provided and after leaving the theatre I was constantly looking at the sky and thinking about the movie. It's a movie experience you will hardly leave to die, because it's so unique. Few moviesLike Kubrick's '2001: Space Odyssey', this movie is about space. But instead of psychologically challenging you, it challenges your body. I was shaking in my chair because of the thrill the movie provided and after leaving the theatre I was constantly looking at the sky and thinking about the movie. It's a movie experience you will hardly leave to die, because it's so unique. Few movies can impact on a person such as this does, so I recommend you too will experience it. Expand
  84. Oct 25, 2013
    Stunning realism to the science of space, along with extraordinary cinematography and special effects, brilliant, entertaining acting by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, give this sci-fi it's interesting cataclysmic plot, and it's essence of a dramatic-thriller Mexican film-making [of Alfonso Cuaron] proves both entertaining and sophisticated.
  85. Nov 10, 2013
    A cinematic achievement of this generation! In every aspect Gravity seemed to blow me away. With the amazing visual effects, intense story with many heartfelt scenes and finally that 3D. I wish more movies would capture you in the atmosphere of being in space. I especially loved the first person camera at times when you felt as if you were Sandra Bullock scared in space.
    One movie you
    One movie you must see within the decade! This could be starting point in which other movies will make you feel so captivated within the movie! One of the best movies this year!
  86. Oct 13, 2013
    Gravity is something else. It redefines cinema, it redefines entertainment. For an actual film maker like myself, this has changed the way I think about film. It's perfect and you need to see it
  87. Mar 13, 2014
    This is one of the best visually enchanting movies ever made . Meticulously choreographed and greatly acted by Sandra which for me is the best female performance of 2013. Yes the story is simple but is very effective and intense. This is a whole visceral experience . I was with her facing existential dread. This is pure masterpiece .
  88. Oct 20, 2013
    There is no other film experience on Earth like Gravity. Which makes sense, keeping in mind the whole movie was located in space, with only the ending scene being on Earth.

Alfonso Cuaron has struck gold with his masterpiece Gravity. It explores the silence of space where all you can hear are your breaths and your thoughts as you spin around aimlessly. This is usually harmless until a crisis like debris comes into play. From then on, Sandra Bullock puts on an amazing performance which will definitely give her an Oscar nod, and George Clooney is his usual affable self.

One thing that really defined this movie's greatness was its careful attention to being realistic. From the tears slipping down Sandra Bullock's cheeks actually floating off her face, to the oxygen in her suit depleting at a steady rate, this movie doesn't look over any detail or flaw. Instead, it uses simplicity and directness to flow the movie along. Nothing was that unbelievable in this movie.

Even though sound was a luxury in this movie, the emotional side of the film was not. Confined to tight spaces, Bullock couldn't really do anything to hide her emotions. She couldn't run anywhere to hide, or walk into a different room. Instead, we all saw and felt what she was going through, and actually cared about what happening to her character.

Another thing this movie did that was great was switch perspectives of the camera. We went from seeing what was happening from the character's eyes, to a third person view, to a wide camera angle, all in a few seconds. And the best part is, the camera was so fluent and coherent that we didn't even notice that the perspectives were changing until it actually happened. Genius filmmaking.

I could go on about this things this movie did right, because to be honest I can't think of anything I didn't like in the movie, which is extremely rare. Overall, this is a new kind of cinema experience that cannot be replicated again. (Yes, that was a challenge, directors!) Everyone in the target audience and beyond should see this movie because of its realistic sense of things and its careful attention to detail. The cinematography is beautiful, and the views and perspectives this movie gives are to die for. The emotional core, themes, and moral lessons this movie offers should be soaked up with ease. And the way it draws you into the story and what's happening is truly an amazing feat.
  89. Oct 13, 2013
    Just...terrific, one of the best movies i ever seen, incredible acting, score, and directed...Most beautiful film ever, must watch...cant breath until now
  90. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Action moments, Amazing quality and Writing. Must watch more than 2 times. Charecters and and a little comedy everything is in right place its 3-D is also worth the price Expand
  91. Nov 29, 2013
    I went to see this movie with a group of friends, and my original thought was that it was going to be bad. But when I got there and saw it in 3D, my afterwards reaction was that it was amazing. It had perfect graphics and a great acting scale. It also kept you isolated from Earth the entire movie, which made it more intense. The music was a bit loud, but I thought it was fine for a movieI went to see this movie with a group of friends, and my original thought was that it was going to be bad. But when I got there and saw it in 3D, my afterwards reaction was that it was amazing. It had perfect graphics and a great acting scale. It also kept you isolated from Earth the entire movie, which made it more intense. The music was a bit loud, but I thought it was fine for a movie of that scale. Expand
  92. Nov 8, 2013
    Edgy and ground breaking We felt this film delivered much more than initially thought possible from 2 actors and a basic concept. The movie keeps you connected and on the edge of your seat for pretty much the whole experience. Top notch work by everyone involved!
  93. Oct 4, 2013
    Intense and gripping! This movie was shot as a simple survival story in space... but I connected to it even more at a much deeper level. The way that the cinematography was shot, I felt I was in space floating with Sandra Bullock's character, Dr. Ryan Stone... that was a technical achievement in itself... But I was also able to feel what it was like to be in the mind of her character.Intense and gripping! This movie was shot as a simple survival story in space... but I connected to it even more at a much deeper level. The way that the cinematography was shot, I felt I was in space floating with Sandra Bullock's character, Dr. Ryan Stone... that was a technical achievement in itself... But I was also able to feel what it was like to be in the mind of her character. I feared with her, struggled to survive with her, felt the hopelessness of life and accepted death with her, and then, found air, found new life, and was born again with her. Sandra Bullock has put on an Oscar worthy performance, and it sure did help with Alfonso Cuaron being at the helm to guide this film. What a genius. It's been awhile since I've been deeply absorbed into the thoughts and feelings of a character on screen. This movie was truly a journey and an experience into the mind and soul of Dr. Ryan Stone's character. Wow, such an amazing film. An unforgettable experience! Must see in theaters with the biggest screen you can find. Expand
  94. Oct 4, 2013
    Honestly, this was the best movie I've seen in a very very long time. Gravity is easily the most beautiful and realistically terrifying movie out there. From the very beginning until a few minutes after the credits began to roll, I found my self on the edge of my seat clinging desperately to my chair as if I were holding on for dear life. The film making was superb, the acting wasHonestly, this was the best movie I've seen in a very very long time. Gravity is easily the most beautiful and realistically terrifying movie out there. From the very beginning until a few minutes after the credits began to roll, I found my self on the edge of my seat clinging desperately to my chair as if I were holding on for dear life. The film making was superb, the acting was brilliant, and the visuals were every bit out of this world. Gravity is a masterpiece, plain and simple. Expand
  95. Oct 8, 2013
    Best space film I've ever seen with it's stunning and realistic visuals. Gravity takes us and gives us the experience of outer space; the eerie vacuum silence and the feel of claustrophobia while spiraling into unknown with uncertain chance of survival. This is not just a film. This is epic.
  96. Oct 5, 2013
    I had the privilege of seeing the new movie Gravity in 3D on its opening night staring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. I ended up sitting in a perfectly positioned center seat! (Thank you God!) The movie invited me very tenderly... gently into its initial scene, immersing me into deep space with the most beautiful, captivating view of earth I have ever witnessed in my entire life! ItI had the privilege of seeing the new movie Gravity in 3D on its opening night staring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. I ended up sitting in a perfectly positioned center seat! (Thank you God!) The movie invited me very tenderly... gently into its initial scene, immersing me into deep space with the most beautiful, captivating view of earth I have ever witnessed in my entire life! It was simply breathtaking! I truly felt I was in my own space suite working weightlessly side by side other astronauts in this strangely beautiful environment with the space shuttle directly at my feet. What happens next? Oh my goodness!!! You've got to see for yourself! If you have motion sickness, bring your pills... if you like roller coasters with nonstop twists and turns... you have a seat waiting for you! A masterpiece of a movie filled with spectacular cutting edge special effects, incredibly superb acting, a story line that will make you laugh, cry, and even hold your breath! I have one word to help summarize this new film... Wow!!! Expand
  97. Oct 5, 2013
    this is an amazing movie, one of the best movies I have seen in 3D, a different story and incredible, the performances are very good, it has very good visual effects undoubtedly one of the best films of 2013.
  98. Oct 5, 2013
    This the best film i see ever because is a no stop of things happening a long the film and when is finish you estay there to think about the thinghs that happend in the film
  99. Oct 5, 2013
    a beautiful and enjoyable film with great visual beauty over outer space. great performances from Sandra Bullock And George Clooney. the best space film I've seen in my life
  100. Oct 5, 2013
    Cuarón has already proven himself to be as supremely talented a cinematic stylist as Michael Bay, David Fincher and James Cameron but with "Gravity" he does his peers one better by using his visuals devices in service of telling his story as opposing to straining against it. By subtlety shifting from a third-person to a first-person perspective and filling the screen with verisimilitudicCuarón has already proven himself to be as supremely talented a cinematic stylist as Michael Bay, David Fincher and James Cameron but with "Gravity" he does his peers one better by using his visuals devices in service of telling his story as opposing to straining against it. By subtlety shifting from a third-person to a first-person perspective and filling the screen with verisimilitudic detail, Cuarón and his brilliant cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki slowly take the viewer from uninvolved observer to active participant. With every frozen tear drop and fogged up helmet, Cuarón makes his world a real place to the extent that when a bunch of satellite debris came rushing at Stone, I wasn't worried about her being chopped in half, I was terrifying of shrapnel tearing into my own flesh. Mexican and proud! Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.