Gravity

7.8

1. Oct 4, 2013
    Everyone knows that both Sandra Bullock and George Clooney played their rolls beautifully. But one thing I want to mention that blew me away was the unsung hero of sound design. HOLY HELL it was spectacularly done. For a setting that has no sound and to make it seem that way is a feet that is out of this world (sorry for the pun). It may sound easy just to remove the Atmos effects butEveryone knows that both Sandra Bullock and George Clooney played their rolls beautifully. But one thing I want to mention that blew me away was the unsung hero of sound design. HOLY HELL it was spectacularly done. For a setting that has no sound and to make it seem that way is a feet that is out of this world (sorry for the pun). It may sound easy just to remove the Atmos effects but really, having done sound for TV myself it is very difficult to cover up. This is a film I will take notes from in the future. Expand
  2. Oct 4, 2013
    Intense and gripping! This movie was shot as a simple survival story in space... but I connected to it even more at a much deeper level. The way that the cinematography was shot, I felt I was in space floating with Sandra Bullock's character, Dr. Ryan Stone... that was a technical achievement in itself... But I was also able to feel what it was like to be in the mind of her character.Intense and gripping! This movie was shot as a simple survival story in space... but I connected to it even more at a much deeper level. The way that the cinematography was shot, I felt I was in space floating with Sandra Bullock's character, Dr. Ryan Stone... that was a technical achievement in itself... But I was also able to feel what it was like to be in the mind of her character. I feared with her, struggled to survive with her, felt the hopelessness of life and accepted death with her, and then, found air, found new life, and was born again with her. Sandra Bullock has put on an Oscar worthy performance, and it sure did help with Alfonso Cuaron being at the helm to guide this film. What a genius. It's been awhile since I've been deeply absorbed into the thoughts and feelings of a character on screen. This movie was truly a journey and an experience into the mind and soul of Dr. Ryan Stone's character. Wow, such an amazing film. An unforgettable experience! Must see in theaters with the biggest screen you can find. Expand
  3. Oct 4, 2013
    Wow! I rarely enthuse about any film these days, but this is something very special. Gravity is not only intense, devastating and ultimately life affirming, but has single handedly changed my opinion of Sandra Bullock, an actress who I normally have no time for. Full marks.
  4. Oct 4, 2013
    Utterly breathtaking. Gravity is a terrifying, realistic, beautiful and amazing thrill ride filled with non-stop suspense and incredible tension along with fantastic visuals and score. This is definitely a must see film and can definitely qualify as one of the best films of the year.
  5. Oct 4, 2013
    In a year where some movies pass off as cheap entertainment, this movie delivers and shows the wonders and thrills of cinema. It's absolutely breathtaking while showing both the beauty and the horrors of space. The acting, visuals, cinematography, everything is about this movie is just flawless. Overall, this is truly one of the best movies ever made. It's freaking awesome! Be sure toIn a year where some movies pass off as cheap entertainment, this movie delivers and shows the wonders and thrills of cinema. It's absolutely breathtaking while showing both the beauty and the horrors of space. The acting, visuals, cinematography, everything is about this movie is just flawless. Overall, this is truly one of the best movies ever made. It's freaking awesome! Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies! Expand
  6. Oct 12, 2013
    It was Bullock's Cast Away. 90 minutes of ho-hum, I'm floating in space from one station to another, until I finally parachute down to a remote lake. We saw it in 3-D, but each of us fell asleep several times. When we woke up, more of the same...Sandra frantically pushing buttons in Russian and then Mandarin, hoping that she pushed the right one. When she was floating in space, sheIt was Bullock's Cast Away. 90 minutes of ho-hum, I'm floating in space from one station to another, until I finally parachute down to a remote lake. We saw it in 3-D, but each of us fell asleep several times. When we woke up, more of the same...Sandra frantically pushing buttons in Russian and then Mandarin, hoping that she pushed the right one. When she was floating in space, she desperately reached for parts of the three space stations, and fortunately was able to grab something at the last minute. Big surprise.
    There was about 10 minutes of interaction with Clooney, but the rest of it was her mumbling to herself. Waaayyyy overrated.
  7. Oct 9, 2013
    Its Diablo 3 and the latest Sim City only this time on the big screen. Ie looks great but quickly gets boring and leaves you feeling like youve been had.
  8. Oct 7, 2013
    It is difficult, if not impossible, to convey how utterly dreadful "Gravity" is without a viewer having at least a small taste of experiencing it yourself. Given the overthrowing praise the film is receiving, countless thousands will waste 90 minutes of their life wading through this oddly lifeless film. The tedious screenplay evokes the worst of James Cameron but adds hundreds of SandraIt is difficult, if not impossible, to convey how utterly dreadful "Gravity" is without a viewer having at least a small taste of experiencing it yourself. Given the overthrowing praise the film is receiving, countless thousands will waste 90 minutes of their life wading through this oddly lifeless film. The tedious screenplay evokes the worst of James Cameron but adds hundreds of Sandra Bullock "Aaaaahs." Water boarding couldn't be this painful. By the 30 minutes mark you will be begging that a massive asteroid pulverize any survivors on screen; by the 60 minute mark you will beg for the 3D effects to deliver an asteroid to your own skull. They shoot horses, don't they? Expand
  9. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie has been so hyped that people are afriad to say they don't like it. I didn't like it. I was bored, Bullock didn't act she just hyperventilated through the movie. Clooney was only comic relief. Explosion scenes were unrealistic. In a "gripping" movie, when the hero lives, the audience applauds. NO applause here. Only comments of disappointment were heard on the way out. IThis movie has been so hyped that people are afriad to say they don't like it. I didn't like it. I was bored, Bullock didn't act she just hyperventilated through the movie. Clooney was only comic relief. Explosion scenes were unrealistic. In a "gripping" movie, when the hero lives, the audience applauds. NO applause here. Only comments of disappointment were heard on the way out. I wanted to like this movie as I did Apollo 13. I would not recommend this movie to anyone, even on Redbox! Expand
  10. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What? Was this a joke? Is there some sort of conspiracy to give this amazing reviews?

Incredible visuals, amazing technology. Otherwise, I am pretty sure the script was written in about 40 minutes, after drinking a case of bud light lime. SPOILER: The plot is just a never ending sequence of barely surviving tragedy. The only thing that could have made it more absurd would have been if a shark attacked her after she escaped from the pod at the end.
  11. Oct 8, 2013
    Visually stunning, but preposterous. Within 15 minutes, I said this is ridiculous. Not even superman could have as many lives as Sandra Bullock. The dialogue is also lame. There is some emotion, but you really don;t care. There is no comparison to 2001, except that both movies take place in space.
  12. Oct 5, 2013
    I was very disappointed with this movie. I was expecting much better, but this was by no standards a terrible movie. It just could have been much better. Two things I loved in this movie were the cinematography as a whole and the action sequences. The effects were good and the camera angles/shots were fantastic, and the action sequences were well-produced. However, this does not make upI was very disappointed with this movie. I was expecting much better, but this was by no standards a terrible movie. It just could have been much better. Two things I loved in this movie were the cinematography as a whole and the action sequences. The effects were good and the camera angles/shots were fantastic, and the action sequences were well-produced. However, this does not make up for this movie's mediocre plot. The story was extremely repetitive, very simple, and somewhat boring. Along with the underachieving plot, I thought that Clooney's acting was uninspired and lazy, Bullock over-acted to the point that she got very annoying and unconvincing, there was minimal character development, and I did not feel any sympathy for the characters. While this movie had some of the best cinematography I have seen in a while, the rest of it was poorly done. This movie is not worthy of any oscars other than cinematography, and truly is not worth your time. Expand
  13. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are some beautiful visuals, but like the rest of the movie, they are repeated and repeated ad nauseum. If not for them, though, the movie would have no redeeming features. Too much of it takes place inside spacecraft that isn't functioning properly, and Bullock's hapless, rather unlikable character had me drumming my fingers, wanting to just doze off, and wondering how long we would be subjected to her suffering and fiddling futilely about. Her tedious character is in most scenes; Clooney has more life, but disappears early on, and returns only briefly. Might be worth seeing for the occasional beauty of it, if you don't expect anything in the way of story or character development. Expand
  14. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie is the JAWS of this generation. Gravity is a silly action movie, where the ignorant audience believes they are watching a real event happening in space. There are so many flaws in the science, I lost my disbelief. Yet, the visuals were stunning. But visuals alone, don't make a good movie. The story of Gravity was also bad, filled with clinches and up to the last minute escapes.This movie is the JAWS of this generation. Gravity is a silly action movie, where the ignorant audience believes they are watching a real event happening in space. There are so many flaws in the science, I lost my disbelief. Yet, the visuals were stunning. But visuals alone, don't make a good movie. The story of Gravity was also bad, filled with clinches and up to the last minute escapes.

The critics got this movie way wrong. A very big disappointment for me, when I thought I was going to see a serious science fiction movie. But all I got was a space circus drama.
  15. Oct 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I expected bad, and wow did I find it. I'm all for suspending disbelief, but this.. was so in your face about what an idiot you had to be to enjoy it.
    She checks her watch and has 7 minutes and 30 seconds before another round of space junk, then.. just puts on a space suit.. and still has over 2 minutes left.
    Let's not even go down the "he let her go because" road.
    Or the "wow, it's sure convenient to have all the space stations so close"
    Or finding a drifting Sandra after How Long?
    Or maintaining an impossible radio connection for how long?
    Or the whole "stuff got destroyed" and now it's amazingly fast and going to eat you!
    Or the whole "chain reaction" in the first place?
    AND BIG FREAKING DEAL with the 17 minute opening shot! It's not like it was all filmed in real time, it's just a long CGI scene.
    Space danger was the key, and when it's so horribly unreal I couldn't buy in. Like a supposed Dracula with pink blood running down his fangs.
    Terrible.
  16. Oct 8, 2013
    "Oscar-worthy" BS is put out there by publicists and PR folks; sorry, it was PAINFUL. Unbelievable, far-fetched, and so badly acted. A vanity project to end all vanity projects. Tom Hanks had cast away. This is her BS. Sorry, you're not that interesting. Your character is unbelievable. Your acting stinks.
  17. Oct 4, 2013
    Watched this movied in 3D. It is as beautifull as it is boring and predictable. The camera shots, the 3D, the spectacular views and special effects all this is very well done. Actually the 3D is probably the best 3D i've seen in a movie. Also, I can't name any other movie that would be about Space, but not about aliens or a catastrophic end of the world (the end of Facebook in thisWatched this movied in 3D. It is as beautifull as it is boring and predictable. The camera shots, the 3D, the spectacular views and special effects all this is very well done. Actually the 3D is probably the best 3D i've seen in a movie. Also, I can't name any other movie that would be about Space, but not about aliens or a catastrophic end of the world (the end of Facebook in this picture probably does not count). They took an interesting idea and made a cliche movie out of it. That is why I can only give it a 5, maybe a 5.5 due to the fact that they managed to make it with only two and a half actors.The movie is not bad, it's just not very interesting and very cliche in the details of the plot. I would give it a 7 or 8 if they removed all the psychological crap you see in teenage movies about "being unable to move on". Expand
  18. Oct 7, 2013
    WTF...This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I am scratching my head thinking what if anything I can see good about this movie. Oh Oh! I found one. I like the main two characters but not in this crap bag of a movie. I would like to ask them why the even accepted being in the movie. I'm not going to say anymore or I will piss people off. Go waste your money. You were warned.
  19. Oct 9, 2013
    I honestly don't know what to say about this film. Special effects were amazing, the film was an absolute technological marvel on par with Avatar and Lord of the Rings. The action and all aspects of this film were very artistic and beautiful. The acting was hard to judge because of the space helmets, but the voice acting that you could hear through the com was realistic and helped add toI honestly don't know what to say about this film. Special effects were amazing, the film was an absolute technological marvel on par with Avatar and Lord of the Rings. The action and all aspects of this film were very artistic and beautiful. The acting was hard to judge because of the space helmets, but the voice acting that you could hear through the com was realistic and helped add to the suspense and emotions of the film. The problem with this film is that you don't really care about the characters. They seem like amazing people walking around in space, and you get to know a little bit about their home lives, but it just wasn't enough. Really the story was all premise, which I find rather boring and aggravating in a film. 2 people floating around above the earth trying to get back home. That really is all there is to the story, so it gets pretty boring. Add to that the complete lack of an interesting compelling script, and you get a movie the was pretty pointless. If all you need is good visuals, then you will love this film, if you need something a bit more sophisticated, then you will hate it. I would have rated this film higher for the visuals and technology, but seeing as it is already extremely overrated I will just give it a zero. Expand
  20. Oct 4, 2013
    Overrated. The effects of course are amazing and the cinematography, I will say, is phenomonal... everything from the pre-production to the filming to the post must have been mind numbing for the filmmakers, but to me, a movie has to have the following to be good;
    1. characters you care about... not in this one.
    Starting the film in space was not smart. I don't know if they were trying
    1. characters you care about... not in this one.
    Starting the film in space was not smart. I don't know if they were trying to set some sort of record of having the smallest cast, which it already doesn't, if you've seen 'Buried' you will know what I am talking about. Well maybe there were 2 people in that I'm not sure. Anyways, you never really felt for the main characters... you don't care if these people go off into space... I mean I guess unless you care about Sandra Bullock and George Clooney personally...
    2. Morals. Yes, it did have a very obvious moral; never give up. But it didn't change my outlook on anything really... Just a simple pretty basic message.
    3. a great story with a creative way of telling it, along with brilliant individual scenes. You should be able to leave the theater asking your fellow movie goers which part they liked best. In this you can say "when she's breathing a lot" or "when she almost dies by the inconvenient debris which never ever happens but for some reason has happened to 3 different shuttles in the past hour"
    4. Music that connects you with the characters, and with the moment, and how you should be feeling... you need a GREAT composer if you want a great movie.

I'm tired of all these films coming out that are so critically acclaimed, but for what? Where are the films where you leave the theater just thinking about it over and over, where the film really sticks with you? Where are the films that you can leave thinking to yourself, "wow, that will be a classic?" I mean maybe in past generations, all the films they saw they just said "eh" and now we think they are classics... but if not then I'm just disappointed. Maybe I'm not as deep of a thinker as the critics, but all I can say about this film is it probably took a very very long time to get these special effects down... but honestly... I've seen more visually stunning things at OMSI, and Disneyland, and most rides at Universal Studios. I don't know why people are saying this is a once in a generation movie... It is certainly not one I will remember too well.
  21. Oct 5, 2013
    Dull performances and paper thin characters populate this mercifully brief film. Despite impressive visuals, the film never really comes alive. Bullock sets feminism back 50 years by portraying a hysterical, incapable astronaut while the most basic rules of science and space travel are all but ignored. Those looking for genuine sci-fi should avoid this film at all costs.
  22. Oct 9, 2013
    Sure it looks great but thats not what movies should only be about. Not to mention casting two celebrities who pretty much make the film not work because they are too famous. Both are overrated and are only there to make profit. Children of Men was brilliant but this? Give me a break.. Should have hired Sigourney Weaver..Ripley would have pulled herself outta that mess.
  23. Oct 6, 2013
    I offer you five re-imagined film review synopses of Gravity: An IMAX 3-D Experience:

In the great farcical tradition of Jacques Tati, this madcap caricature of modern alienation and space age technology playfully follows its heroine through an improbable labyrinth of ineptitudes, follies, and physical gaffes. A heart-wrenching portrayal of a mother’s search for human contact after

A heart-wrenching portrayal of a mother’s search for human contact after the meaningless death of her daughter.

This reboot of Méliès’s Voyage dans la lune harkens back to the golden age of silent cinema, when action, set design, and camera tricks took precedence.

A futuristic spin on the classic road trip movie, Gravity is the story of two people who find themselves helplessly drawn together by a natural force beyond their control—friendship.

À la Godard and Tarantino, Caurón dishes out his share of cinéphile fodder, with nods and winks to the Cold War Red Scare camp of such classics as Red Dawn.
  24. Nov 20, 2013
    In all my years of being an avid film-goer, I have never been so captivated by 90 minutes of cinema. Gravity is a paragon of art, that displays that there are no technical boundaries with regards to special effects. Do not think that this film, being a survival film set in space, will trudge through its entire length with no intense moments. It promises to deliver, and after the first 5In all my years of being an avid film-goer, I have never been so captivated by 90 minutes of cinema. Gravity is a paragon of art, that displays that there are no technical boundaries with regards to special effects. Do not think that this film, being a survival film set in space, will trudge through its entire length with no intense moments. It promises to deliver, and after the first 5 minutes you are catapulted into an adventure filled with exquisite beauty and moments that will have you holding your breath. Expand
  25. Nov 17, 2013
    A movie that shows to the public, how a small story can be at same time a big story. Afonso shows us where the human can go and how can go. You have to watch at less 3 times to really understand what Gravity is. Surprised me 9/10.
  26. Nov 19, 2013
    GRAVITY Don't Let This Go!
    It's a Visual Paradise. The film transports you to space in every cinematic way possible.
    Sandra Bullock was good, the premise was amazing and your heart will be racing through the whole experience!
    Camera and Direction was innovative
    3Dfx and vfx were breathtaking
    Sound Effects AWESOME!!

Go watch it An experience you won't forget!
  27. Nov 23, 2013
    A spectacle to say the least; Gravity is a beautifully executed anxiety attack with no intention of letting up. A film well worth its universal acclaim.
  28. Nov 23, 2013
    This is a gripping and thrilling film that kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. The graphics were AMAZING! I actually thought they filmed this in space because it was SO realistic. George Clooney was great and funny even in the most serious parts of the film, and Sandra Bullock made it so realistic! It totally attacked my emotions and I felt physically and mentally exhaustedThis is a gripping and thrilling film that kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. The graphics were AMAZING! I actually thought they filmed this in space because it was SO realistic. George Clooney was great and funny even in the most serious parts of the film, and Sandra Bullock made it so realistic! It totally attacked my emotions and I felt physically and mentally exhausted afterwards. I recommend this to everyone and it may sound like a boring old space movie but it will blow you away!!! I highly recommend this so go watch it NOW!! Expand
  29. Jul 14, 2014
    Beautiful. Gripping. Stellar. Riveting. An artful masterpiece of a film; the best space film of all-time; will become a timeless classic. This film IS Sandra Bullock.
  30. Jul 12, 2014
    Rating this a 10 just to balance out the negative reviews from the people who just don't get it. If any movie warrants this kind of fandom loyalty which I usually don't care for, its this movie.
  31. Sep 2, 2014
    "Gravity" is one of the most mind-blowing and breathtaking films I have ever seen. The cinematography is some of the best, if not, THE best cinematography in a movie, and the acting from Sandra Bullock and George Clooney is great as always. The movie is rather short, a measily 91 minutes, but that's all it needs to be a very intense experience.
  32. Sep 5, 2014
    Gravity is a mind blowing looking movie about two astronauts trying to get back to earth after an unfortunate incident.With outstanding visuals and great performances, Alfonso Cuarón succeeds in entertaining you with this fantastic claustrophobic thriller.
  33. Oct 31, 2014
    The film that won 7 oscars and has critical acclaim, is it really one of the best movies ever. The 2013 motion picture directed by Alfonso Cuarón and written by the director and his son Jonás cuaròn with music by upcoming British composer Steven Price and cinematography by Emmanuel Lubezki. The story centres around two main characters which are Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt kowalskiThe film that won 7 oscars and has critical acclaim, is it really one of the best movies ever. The 2013 motion picture directed by Alfonso Cuarón and written by the director and his son Jonás cuaròn with music by upcoming British composer Steven Price and cinematography by Emmanuel Lubezki. The story centres around two main characters which are Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt kowalski (George Clooney) while they are in space putting in the new hobble scope which was designed by Ryan Stone. While on their mission a Russian satellite breaks down and the debris hits their craft and form then it is a survival journey where Ryan Stone Matt Kowalski must try and survive in space. This is one of the bet motion pictures in history and especially if you watched it in IMAX 3D because the 3D was superb and the visual effects were amazing and that's why it won the Oscar for best visual effects. They social score is out of this world and gives you a sense isolation. The cinematography was the best I have ever seen because the first 12 minutes of this film is just one long take which is breath taking. The acting all round is good and the backstory to each character is good. George Clooneys whitty humour and Sandra Bullocks insecurity was brilliant. The film is an experience of a life time. This film definitely gets a 10/10 for me. Expand
  34. Jun 10, 2015
    Terrifying. Truly terrifying. Alfonso Cuaron successfully turns a ninety minute film about a woman floating in space, into one of the most terrifyingly amazing films ever made. The eerily beautiful score by Steven Price combines with stunning visuals, heartfelt moments and gripping sequences to create the best film of 2013.
  35. Apr 14, 2014
    The visuals alone are so stunning and gorgeous (10 out of 10) and they make me give the film an 8. I don´t even know how they made it. It´s real, it´s tense and it´s a crazy journey that should be epic in all fronts. But on the other hand I have some problems with it. The script/story is weak. There´s not much more to enjoy than the visuals. Let´s just say the story itself is average. TheThe visuals alone are so stunning and gorgeous (10 out of 10) and they make me give the film an 8. I don´t even know how they made it. It´s real, it´s tense and it´s a crazy journey that should be epic in all fronts. But on the other hand I have some problems with it. The script/story is weak. There´s not much more to enjoy than the visuals. Let´s just say the story itself is average. The most important thing in a film will always be the script , character development and the acting. No matter how good the rest of the things are, a film can´t get a 9 or 10 if it lacks (even if it´s on purpose, like probably in this case) a great script. That´s why I "only" give it an 8. The acting from Sandra Bullock surprised me. I have never appreciated her work, I don´t consider her one of the best actresses at all. But I have to admit she was very solid, great performance. Despite everything, it is a must see and it´s not long. You won´t regret watching it. It´s a fantastic adventure. Expand
  36. Nov 12, 2013
    I'll begin with the positives (mainly because I have very few criticisms): The most notable and favourable aspect of the film are the visual effects. It's obvious that the majority of the film's $105,000,000 budget went on them as they are pure state-of-the-art and probably the best I've seen in a film to date; they create an amazing atmosphere (no pun intended) and I've never seen theI'll begin with the positives (mainly because I have very few criticisms): The most notable and favourable aspect of the film are the visual effects. It's obvious that the majority of the film's $105,000,000 budget went on them as they are pure state-of-the-art and probably the best I've seen in a film to date; they create an amazing atmosphere (no pun intended) and I've never seen the Earth look so gorgeous. Secondly, the acting. The (more or less) two man cast brings a sense of loneliness and makes the vast spacescape look even bigger. Bullock and Clooney are perfect choices for the parts and they do their job well with Bullock switching it up a little with gender roles. Thirdly; the cinematography. The camera angles are absolutely brilliant and they really give the film a realistic feel. Fourthly; the realism. The film keeps very close to realism when it comes to the physics; a notable part would be the soundless destruction of the space stations. The films 90 minute run-time may seem quite short for a sci-fi thriller but this serves plenty and leaves a lasting effect on the viewer. I'd recommend Gravity for anyone; you don't have to be a sci-fi movie buff to enjoy this visual masterpiece. I have hardly any criticisms apart from the films storyline didn't quite go in my favour but that doesn't douse its brilliance. All I can say now is, See you at the Academy Awards Gravity! Expand
  37. Nov 16, 2013
    A must see in theaters. Very glad I didn't just wait for this on Bluray! Intense graphics alone are worth the price of admission. Now I'll admit this was a little thin on story but if you want some eye candy go see it.
  38. Nov 21, 2013
    Amazing! The effects are absolutely beautiful and for once the 3D actually feels important. The film is a well acted thrill ride through an insane array of difficulties. At times I almost felt too caught up in the film and afterwards I was kind of exhausted after 90 minutes of having a very high pulse.
  39. Mar 30, 2014
    The visual experience is tremendous. Awe-inspiring. Something that deserves to be seen on a large screen and in 3D. The soundtrack is an equally chilling accompaniment.

The plot itself blends many realistic elements with bits of fantasy. The hurtling space junk is scary enough that most viewers won't stop to ask why a medical doctor is flying in space and repairing a satellite, or why in the vastness of the Earth's orbit everything is so close together. The central narrative is a classic survival narrative of a blip of humanity up against the vastness of nature. It approaches greatness, save for an unnecessary intrusion of sentimentality that creeps in towards the end.

Still, a finely crafted and enjoyable film.
  40. Sep 3, 2014
    gravity is a pioneer in the technical film industry .with breathtaking visuals.an amazing performance from sandra bulluck and amazing 3D that makes you feel like your really in space. it deserved all 7 oscer's it won and is one of the greatest movies of all time.
  41. Nov 20, 2013
    Gravity may have been one of my favorite and Greatest movies of all time, however, it does have it's faults. My biggest problem with this movie was the soundtrack (not sound effects), the soundtrack in this just felt like a cheap way of raising tension without really having any substance... The sound effects on the other hand were dazzling, when something bad was happening, it was clearGravity may have been one of my favorite and Greatest movies of all time, however, it does have it's faults. My biggest problem with this movie was the soundtrack (not sound effects), the soundtrack in this just felt like a cheap way of raising tension without really having any substance... The sound effects on the other hand were dazzling, when something bad was happening, it was clear through the absolutely superb sound design. One of the most impressive things about this movie is the way it was shot, Alfonso Cuaron is known for his extra-long takes which play right into the ballpark of Gravity. Throughout the entire movie, the shots that lingered for a while, never felt like they had overstayed there welcome, every shot had a purpose and intrigued a certain emotion. All in all, this was an exceptional movie that is worth anyone's time (best to watch in 3D)!

I give this movie an 8.5!
  42. Jan 1, 2015
    WAY overrated. For a thriller, this was actually very good. The suspense almost... made it feel like the air became more dense. But the problem was the lack of storyline. It was quite short and just delayed parts of the story with too long suspense. Overall, a pretty good movie.
  43. May 23, 2015
    A fantastic spectacle in terms of intense scenes full of top-notch CGI. The acting, despite the minimal dialogue, is clearly good and the story is very simplistic but entertaining. It's absolutely worth at least one watch, as it's a quality adventure from the all-is-normal beginning to the been-through-hell ending. It isn't a masterpiece, though. I don't feel it deserves a score of 96 butA fantastic spectacle in terms of intense scenes full of top-notch CGI. The acting, despite the minimal dialogue, is clearly good and the story is very simplistic but entertaining. It's absolutely worth at least one watch, as it's a quality adventure from the all-is-normal beginning to the been-through-hell ending. It isn't a masterpiece, though. I don't feel it deserves a score of 96 but it's still at least an 8/10, if not an 8.5/10. However, it doesn't quite have the same effect on blu-ray as it did in the theater. I recommend you watch it on as large a TV as possible. Expand
  44. Dec 9, 2014
    Visually stunning and impeccably filmed, "Gravity" is an entertainingly thoughtful science fiction thriller that can be either masterfully directed and smartly plotted.
  45. Jan 4, 2015
    Una obra visual, una excelente película de ciencia ficción, se une a la lista de las mejores pelicular de todos los tiempos. Alfonso Cuaron a hecho el mejor trabajo de su carrera, visualmente (hablando de la cámara, el chivo es un maestro y por supuesto de los efectos) Gravedad es de las mejores películas del 2013, de las mejores películas de todos los tiempos y de las que debes de verUna obra visual, una excelente película de ciencia ficción, se une a la lista de las mejores pelicular de todos los tiempos. Alfonso Cuaron a hecho el mejor trabajo de su carrera, visualmente (hablando de la cámara, el chivo es un maestro y por supuesto de los efectos) Gravedad es de las mejores películas del 2013, de las mejores películas de todos los tiempos y de las que debes de ver antes de morir. Expand
  46. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How can people that live as movie critics give average 96 ?
    Its a good movie and the meaning of it is really nice.
    But its not that good at all, i don't see anything worthy a 96 score in this movie, nothing.
    Its a really nice story about her daughter and that but i mean, a masterpiece 96 score? No.
  47. Oct 13, 2013
    Gravity is something else. It redefines cinema, it redefines entertainment. For an actual film maker like myself, this has changed the way I think about film. It's perfect and you need to see it
  48. Dec 28, 2013
    Alfonso Cuaron (aided by the masterful cameraman Emmanuel Lubezki and an astonishing, Oscar-worthy performance by Sandra Bullock) have creating a stunning, genre-defining work that ranks as one of the year's best.
  49. Dec 28, 2013
    This si a great film that has several stars but Sandra Bullock takes the cake. This has much futurism with great reality, the filming is great, an the 3D effect is subtle yet adds much to the enjoyment of the film. Being tossed out is space left to see what will happen is a fear in some way shape or form we all have. The digital filming if right on top. This will be nominated for severalThis si a great film that has several stars but Sandra Bullock takes the cake. This has much futurism with great reality, the filming is great, an the 3D effect is subtle yet adds much to the enjoyment of the film. Being tossed out is space left to see what will happen is a fear in some way shape or form we all have. The digital filming if right on top. This will be nominated for several awards. See it, sit back, and enjoy it. Expand
  50. Jan 16, 2014
    I saw this in 4DX , the 3d was the best i ve ever seen amazing but feeling it with moving seats. HOLY ****!!!! The work was brilliant.. No air , no sound no nothing unly the breathing and the tension was too much to handle at the beginning, even i felt dizzy at times. nice script nice idea. very very impressive!
  51. Jan 16, 2014
    This movie is great, it is perfect, a masterpiece, the movie made me feel like I was in space, the 3D was actually pretty good in fact it's the best I've seen ever, Sandra Bullock, and Alfonso Cuaròn deserve an Oscar for doing their best work, so this is my favorite movie of 2013, It is an 10/10 it is just perfect.
  52. Apr 28, 2014
    With the perfect acting, simplicity of the storyline and most picturesque graffics, this is the greatest, most human suspensed and emotional sci-fi wonder of all time, so enjoy it while you can
  53. Mar 5, 2014
    gravity is a sci fi adventure . alfsonso did a amazing job on this . Sandra bullock did a amazing and so did george clooney . so thank you alfsonso your are number 1 director
  54. Mar 3, 2014
    The only bad thing thing I can say about this film is , is there such a thing over character development ?Because i nominate Gravity that Oscar as well
  55. Mar 13, 2014
    An excellent movie in 3D that kept you on the edge of your seat. Sandra Bullock was awesome. I struggled at times to eliminate her feelings of helplessness. Recommend for the strong willed. Excellent cinematography.
  56. Mar 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is really great. The way that the movie represent the feelings and that small moments of the situation is amazing. I was really feeling that moment, fear, thinking of the last moments when it was "this is it. It's over. I'm gonna die". All and all it was pretty amazing. Expand
  57. Mar 20, 2014
    This film is a masterpiece! Accurately shows that the films are made. Are an illusion, an art that can be interpreted in different ways, one could feel that he was in space. 3D is glorious, the soundtrack is superb and the direction of Alfonso Cuaron's beautiful. Actually I have to add more?
  58. Mar 28, 2014
    Alfonso Cuarón with David Heyman have made a visionary movie, have used technology and music in the best way. Sandra Bullock is incredible and true. An really good and pleasant movie. It was a long time since I had not had that feeling of real pleasure in cinema.
  59. Apr 2, 2014
    A movie that exploits the fear of being lost and thinking there's no way out. For me, a real thrillride with some of the best visuals ever made. A must watch for everyone who's thinking about watching it. This isn't a movie anymore, it's a piece of art, DO NOT LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE SAYING IT ISN'T WORTH IT CAUSE YOU'LL BE MISSING OUT, watch it and form an opinion for yourselves, it's worth it!
  60. May 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing, original and beautiful. A movie that the cinema was needing, Gravity is intense, terrific and moving (most of all). The brilliant direction of Alfonso Cuarón, as well your intense edition with your brother Jonas; fantastic cinematography with Emmanuel Lubezki's signature, a inspiring Sandra Bullock and the impeccable and pretty score composed by Steven Price make Gravity one of the greatest and prettiest movies ever made. Simply Perfect. Expand
  61. May 7, 2014
    The best and most obvious feature of this movie is the visuals and cinematography. It provided a truly unique experience for film. More than any other film I've seen it immerses the audience in it's settings/ The plot, although thin, was suspenseful enough to be more than serviceable. Sandra Bullock's wonderful acting in the film more than makes up for George Clooney's rather dull performance.
  62. Nov 23, 2014
    HOLY CRAP. This is one of the most tense, awe-filled experiences I've ever had! Cuaron is a MASTER and he knows how to sketch characters you quickly attach yourself to, a story that is both filled with tenderness and terror, and cinematic techniques that so very brilliantly disorient the viewer, it feels as if you're wheeling through space. AMAZING.
  63. Apr 13, 2015
    This movie is insane...Just insane. The effects and the acting are the best part of the movie. I mean, Sandra Bullock did get nominated for best actress for this, and rightly so as you can really feel her sense of distress and terror. Although the writing isn't that strong, Sandra Bullock does great with what she is given and the effects are mind-blowing, especially in IMAX. 8/10 (Great)
  64. Dec 19, 2014
    This is what I was thirsty to watch on the big screen. James Cameron was right when he said that "Gravity" is the best space-thematic movie ever.
    Director Alfonso Cuarón brings us a striking story, with Sandra Bullock as the main character.
    This might be the next "Avatar", in terms of production, cinematography, production design, visual effects, sound effects and score. Everything in this movie is revolutionary. Trully, Cuarón might just have revolutionized the way of shooting a movie with huge amount of CGI. That guy deserves my respect.
  65. Feb 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, so, obviously, there are a lot of people that did not like the movie. While they're entitled to their own opinions, I think the biggest reason for their disappointment are these two reasons: the plot, and the actual "science" of the film

First, we'll start off with the plot. Really, the entire basis of the plot is that, during a space walk, a large debris field is created that threatens the lives of all the people that are on the United Sates' Explorer (a rocket). That's it. But, if you look a little deeper, you'll see that there's more to it than that. You see, the story is really character driven. You're supposed to care for Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt Kowalski (George Clooney). The story is entirely about Stone. It is about her learning to live life instead of just "driving," or in other words, just living. After she lost her daughter, she never fully coped. In fact, she just went as life went. Job, space, whatever. They were just things to her. Nothing was really important other than her job. But when she is in space, her problems become clearer, and she is able to deal with them. My favorite part of the movie is actually when, after being untethered from her companion, she falls asleep in the fetal position. In this scene, the tether is seen in the background, giving the appearance of a fetus; it's symbolism of her being reborn. Now, to me, there were really two separate plots, the first, the debris cloud, was very weak; however, the second, the story of her coming to grips with her daughter's death, was very strong. In fact, it is the strongest part of the film, and it is the reason that critics fell in love with it. I think that the people who don't like the movie either missed this plot, or they could not connect with it. I was someone who could connect with it, and very easily so.

Now, the second complaint about the movie is the "science" part of it. Firstly, there are many errors that were made mostly with the physics. Actually, the whole premise of the space debris cloud is impossible. The locations of the Chinese and Russian stations are also changed to match the plot. What I don't understand about this complaint is the fact that this movie is "science fiction." Because it is fiction, as a movie writer, they changed facts. Actually, the definition of science fiction means that it is based off of a future (unless it is in the present) that has imagined scientific advancements and technologies. Now, technically speaking, a movie can change the facts of life. If someone wanted to make a movie where the was absolutely no gravity on earth, they could do that. If they wanted to make a movie where water was really soda, they could do that as well. Just because they made many changes from actual reality does not make this a bad film. Sure, you can easily spot what they got wrong, but if you do that, you'll miss all of the things that they got right!

Now, for my actual review. This movie is beautiful. I mean, it contains some of the most beautiful images ever captured on film. Earth viewed by from space is a stunning back drop. Actually, space itself is beautiful in this movie. However, what I thought they did very well was that they took something beautiful (the stillness and awe inspiring aspects of earth and space) and they showed us that it is equally as dangerous as it is beautiful. That, despite us being able to go to space, with out the things we've created, there is no possible way to stay alive there. That it is dangerous. That it is an endless wall of black, and that when untethered, we will float endlessly to our deaths in it.

Other than the beauty, what I thought was best about this movie was the drama. Sure, the special effects are great, but the depth of the characters were amazing. We only got to see the shell of Ryan Stone until the very end of the movie. The biggest thing that stuck out to me was that by the end, she still didn't care whether she lived or died. But the reasons for that changed. She didn't care because she knew she was trying, and she knew that she was fighting, and because of those two reasons, she knew that she was living. She'd finally dealt with her problems and she was at ease. She knew that it didn't matter anymore because her life had been well lived: she had had a daughter, she had gone to space, she had survived for as long as she had, and if she died, at least she'd be doing it while feeling alive.

So, at the end of the movie, when she finally takes her last steps, she knows that she made it. That she gets a second chance to live her life. That she's no longer going to be "just riding." And that is her greatest triumph as she takes her first steps on earth. The promise of her new life that could have only been achieved by going through the travesty of surviving her ordeal in space. And those final steps, paired with the emotional score, are the most triumphant final steps taken from any movie. And if you can see that, you'll enjoy it as well.
  66. Mar 9, 2015
    Visuals were STUNNING! Space felt so real, I felt like I was right there with Sandra. Great special effects! The plot was good, not groundbreaking but this movie has a very good message to it.
  67. Mar 29, 2014
    This heart racing movie, is great for viewers interested in action and romance as there is a lot of this throughout the movie ! The cinematography effects is very well and I viewed a video recently showing me the techniques used to make the viewers feel like they're 'floating' .
  68. Mar 17, 2015
    'Gravity' is the sci-fi thriller directed by Alfonso Cuaron, best known for directing 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban' (2004) and 'Children of Men' (2006). Here, he shows off some of his best directing skills just like how Ang Lee did that with 'Life of Pi' (2012) the year before. The only unfortunate thing is; do not watch this film on a small screen with amateur quality.'Gravity' is the sci-fi thriller directed by Alfonso Cuaron, best known for directing 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban' (2004) and 'Children of Men' (2006). Here, he shows off some of his best directing skills just like how Ang Lee did that with 'Life of Pi' (2012) the year before. The only unfortunate thing is; do not watch this film on a small screen with amateur quality.

Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are the two main stars, they play astronauts who are caught up in a situation in space. Bullock's character clearly isn't prepared for anything when it comes to space, Clooney does his best to calm her down and takes her through the situation in a slow and structured manner.

A lot of the movie is filmed with long, continuous shots and it is a technical marvel, a feast for the eyes.

Bullock gives one of her best performances to date, an actress I am not a huge fan of simply because she is better known for films such as; 'Miss Congeniality' (2000) and 'Two Weeks Notice' (2002), I didn't see the appeal of these two films. But she has proven herself in this movie just like she did in 'Speed' (1994), okay...I am a guy and I do like "guy movies", but there are some "girly movies" as well that are great like...ahem 'Mean Girls' (2004), unfortunately Bullock wasn't in this.

Overall, 'Gravity' is absolutely intense, beautifully filmed and full of great performances from its likeable actors.
  69. Apr 8, 2015
    gravity is amazing it is breathing how amazing this film I looks amazing . gravity does a lot of things right the charters are great the acting is great is just a great film.
  70. Dec 2, 2015
    That movie eh !, I have never felt so much suspense in my life with this great movie , which survive in space is a matter of fear, but of luck. Too bad we did not win the Oscar for Best Picture. but I am aware that is magnified.
  71. Feb 3, 2014
    这是一部很美很简单的电影,从画面到情节都很简单,布洛克的独角戏演得不错,配乐不错很渲染气氛。
    但是,这部电影的价值只能在IMAX3D中才可以被释放,只有在那里才可以感受到它的震撼,不然就没什么意思了。
  72. Oct 7, 2013
    I don't understand the hype on this movie. The cinematography is absolutely stunning for sure, and some pretty great acting, but nothing else. Pacing becomes irritating, not enough characterization to care about the ONLY characters we interact with and the back story to the vent occurring isn't strong enough to make us feel the tension.
    Good film, but not the greatest thing ever made like
    Good film, but not the greatest thing ever made like everybody is saying.
  73. Jun 17, 2014
    A thrilling roller coaster ride made out of diamonds; a gorgeously detailed disaster/survival movie. Stoic themes: learn to detach, let go, etc. Superior acting performance from Bullock as the mission specialist. A few improbabilities and cliches buried underneath literal awesomeness, an awe that feels grounded in an ocean of reality.
  74. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had high hopes on this movie, i thought it would be more intense, the whole time, like in the beginning of the movie when she was spinning without control and later alone in the space, amazing. Awesome graphics, but after george clooney died its like a Friday the 13th for sandra bullock and the only way that she can realize how to get back to earth is to have a trip thinking like George Clooney's character. In despite of that it was really entertaining Expand
  75. Nov 24, 2014
    Gravity proves that science fiction can still be very interesting without warp speed, teleporters or spacecrafts fighting. Based on the impossibility of life in space, movie presents modern day space technology with excellent visuals, good acting and somewhat gripping story. Quiet soundtrack also adds to the great atmosphere. Although not a classic, it is easily a must watch.
  76. Dec 28, 2013
    When I was watching it I thought it is going to be a movie about the beautiful pictures and stuff. Didn't expect a great storyline, intresting characters. But I was WRONG! This movie wasn't just beautiful and stunning, but I was sooo excited through the whole movie. The only problem with it was Sandras breathtaking, it was really loud, but seemed realistic.
  77. Dec 30, 2013
    İzlediğim en iyi gerilim filmlerinden bir tanesiydi. Özellikle uzaydaki o meteor parçaların uzay istasyonuna çarpınca kalbim yerinden çıkacak gibi oluyordu...
  78. Dec 31, 2013
    I believe it's a bit overrated, but I still enjoyed it a lot. It's one of the most awe inspiring visual achievements of all time, so it's a shame that the story and emotional content cannot live up to the visual content. It's too thin and the movie feels too short. The characters, when they are in the movie, are for the most part dull. However, the visuals are brilliant, and should beI believe it's a bit overrated, but I still enjoyed it a lot. It's one of the most awe inspiring visual achievements of all time, so it's a shame that the story and emotional content cannot live up to the visual content. It's too thin and the movie feels too short. The characters, when they are in the movie, are for the most part dull. However, the visuals are brilliant, and should be enough to keep most people amazed, IF they can understand well enough how to appreciate it.

Gravity gets 8.4/10
  79. Jan 2, 2014
    Very good Alfonso Cuaron, you did it right, with just one stage, and two experimented actors you made an amazing suspense sci-fi movie. But why the story and the dialogue has to be so limited? I think you could done something better.
    Anyway, Gravity is the perfect movie for someone who loves visual effects and intense scenes of drama.
  80. Jan 27, 2014
    The movie`s visual and sound effects are outstanding, but the lack of characters on the story makes it suprisingly boring at some parts, thats probably why the short duration of the movie.
  81. Feb 23, 2014
    Great movie. Is difficult, in this years, to find a good movie that has been realized very well. However, i think that it was just a new "2001: odissey in space" by Stanley Kubrick, but without the connection human-machine and the others infinite meanings of this masterpiece. "Gravity" remain a brilliant vision of space and a movie that you should watch rather of "The Hangover" or similar.
  82. Mar 4, 2014
    Good movie for sure but mostly due to the stunning special effects which make up for the rather mediocre storyline. The movie is a bit hyped IMHO and you will probably roll your eyes a few times if you know a little bit about EVA, orbit's, etc. It's still worth watching, tho.
  83. Mar 6, 2014
    Gravity equals Innovation

Gravity equals Innovation

Gravity is a masterpiece of modern cinema in technology and innovation, the movie is mainly the hard work of one person Alfonso Cuarón, without his work this movie would not have been the same. The editing, direction, cinematography and sound are the things that defined Gravity. In my perspective the biggest problem of gravity ot´s the screenplay, the screenplay is not a masterpiece, it´s not a good screenplay, and I don´t even know if it´s a regular screenplay. It´s a good movie and nothing else,.
  84. May 1, 2014
    Well made, Well acted, stunning visuals, but there's something that just doesn't work to make this a wonderful journey to space, maybe is the tedious plot at several parts of the film, but still is a watchable film.
  85. Mar 14, 2014
    O filme tem ótimos efeitos especiais, porem, a história é muito ruim e totalmente chata, sem muita emoção, uma coisa mal feita, mas como eu já disse, os efeitos especiais deixaram o filme muito foda, fazer uns efeitos no espaço não é tão simples e conseguiram deixar simplesmente excelente, só faltou bons escritores para o filme ficar perfeito.
  86. Mar 24, 2014
    he is a very tiresome film that gives sleep but script, story, cast and I in my opinion sandra bullock is a great actress, the film a miss .... I do not know one ...... something else, and why I rate 8 to one fime not as expected also reach a large audience.
  87. May 29, 2014
    What we have here is a movie with beautiful visuals; however, the plot attempts to be profound similar to Kubric's films and just cannot hold up.

I still find myself trying to figure out how this movie has won critical acclaim when there are so many holes in the plot line, that it is distracting to think logically while watching the film. This is especially true for science buffs. To sum it up, the movie offers cool visuals while functioning on the level of self-importance. If you truly want to see a great space movie, turn to Kubric's Space Odyssey; it is breathtaking.
  88. Aug 1, 2015
    Prior to watching this: I was considering watching the film in 3D. Didn't do it. Left wondering if I should have.

Pros: 1. Great action and CGI. 2. Great cinematography. Cons: 1. Very little story. It was as if the characters were desperately trying to tell their backstory and they fail. Left me feeling unfullfilled at the end due to the lack of story. 2. There are many plot

Pros:
    1. Great action and CGI.
    2. Great cinematography.

Cons:
    2. There are many plot holes and many (astro)physical errors.
    3. Definitely does not deserve full points and definitely not best film of that year.

Score: 4/5 (no half scores). It's worth paying to watch it in the cinema and in 3D.
  89. Aug 4, 2014
    I like this movie, not just because of the plot twists and turns, but also because it delivers a fine Sandra Bullok performance. It lacked character backgrounds though.
  90. Mar 11, 2015
    The story is refreshing and original and I found the special effects and action sequences to be spectacular. Sandra Bullocks does a superb job of acting and the fear which grips her is palpable. However, some of the character interactions seem odd and unconvincing, much in part due to George Clooney's rigid and stale performance. He seems completely and oddly immune to the circumstances inThe story is refreshing and original and I found the special effects and action sequences to be spectacular. Sandra Bullocks does a superb job of acting and the fear which grips her is palpable. However, some of the character interactions seem odd and unconvincing, much in part due to George Clooney's rigid and stale performance. He seems completely and oddly immune to the circumstances in which the astronauts find themselves. Expand
  91. Apr 25, 2015
    The movie looks great. The first 40 minutes are just breathtaking. I'm not exactly a Sandra Bullock fan, but in this film she does a great job. The same goes for George Clooney. My only complaint is the end of the movie which, to me, was just not believable enough. The move should have ended 15 mins before it actually did.
  92. Dec 24, 2015
    One of the greatest man-versus-nature movies in cinematic history.

Watch this movie online http://www.watchfree.to/watch-2a17d4-Gravity-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  93. Nov 8, 2013
    Like Kubrick's '2001: Space Odyssey', this movie is about space. But instead of psychologically challenging you, it challenges your body. I was shaking in my chair because of the thrill the movie provided and after leaving the theatre I was constantly looking at the sky and thinking about the movie. It's a movie experience you will hardly leave to die, because it's so unique. Few moviesLike Kubrick's '2001: Space Odyssey', this movie is about space. But instead of psychologically challenging you, it challenges your body. I was shaking in my chair because of the thrill the movie provided and after leaving the theatre I was constantly looking at the sky and thinking about the movie. It's a movie experience you will hardly leave to die, because it's so unique. Few movies can impact on a person such as this does, so I recommend you too will experience it. Expand
  94. Oct 25, 2013
    Stunning realism to the science of space, along with extraordinary cinematography and special effects, brilliant, entertaining acting by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, give this sci-fi it's interesting cataclysmic plot, and it's essence of a dramatic-thriller Mexican film-making [of Alfonso Cuaron] proves both entertaining and sophisticated.
  95. Oct 13, 2013
    It is a cinematic masterpiece thanks to its technical prowess. Have never seen anything like this. Exhilarating Stuff. It is a story of Life, Death, Loneliness, Fear, Courage and Life. It is a story of Infinite and Finite. Story of Air, Water and Vacuum.Of Distance and Destiny. Of Silence. Of Energy. Of Motion, Of Gravity.
    You will not forget the weight of this movie for a long long time to come
  96. Oct 27, 2013
    An intense, beautifully crafted film. For the entirety of the movie, I was holding my breath and on the edge of my seat, quite literally in fact. A relatively short runtime gives the feeling of length without exhaustion, and the acting, visual effects, sound effects, and soundtrack, are so incredibly engrossing, that after the film ended, I felt like I had to check in with myself that iAn intense, beautifully crafted film. For the entirety of the movie, I was holding my breath and on the edge of my seat, quite literally in fact. A relatively short runtime gives the feeling of length without exhaustion, and the acting, visual effects, sound effects, and soundtrack, are so incredibly engrossing, that after the film ended, I felt like I had to check in with myself that i was sitting in a theater. Absolutely something to put on anyone's must watch list. Expand
  97. Oct 9, 2013
    Excellent movie with great visuals and atmosphere. Even with some boredom when we have to sit through with the characters mental breakdown and psychological struggle to stay calm and get through the occurring mess in open space, the movie is a great experience that makes you worship the ground you are standing on.
  98. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Alfonso Cuarón’s intense space thriller Gravity chronicles the struggle of two astronauts to return home when their shuttle is damaged beyond repair by an unprecedented cascade of destructive space debris.

Though undeniably engaging and action-packed, there is an understated atmosphere that comes from the focus on a small cast and their isolation. It’s not pure science-fiction, though fiction allows it to circumnavigate the criticism it has received for scientific inaccuracies. In the absence of any vast treatise on the destiny of humanity, Gravity becomes a contemporary space adventure that is both modern thriller and character drama.

The term ‘shot’ is used loosely here, because the real stars are the stunning visual effects, created in London. What the production team have created is a live action film that is almost entirely and inconspicuously computer generated. Our heroes are inserted into the immersing void above a stunning blue pearl, as they navigate speeding debris, collapsing spacecraft and vast leagues of emptiness.

Cuarón strays into tried and tested Hollywood characterisation with his two leads, the newbie and the veteran. Similarly, the action settles itself in the typical action movie camp, demanding suspension of disbelief from the audience. It’s easy to lose count of the times someone miraculously grabs the very last railing before hurtling off to their doom, but for every time this happens, cinematic karma provides another situation when luck runs out, and their fate appears sealed.

George Clooney appears as Lt. Matt Kowalski, an old space dog enjoying his last spacewalk as he pipes country music through his suit. Clooney’s got the experience: this isn’t his first voyage to the stars, or the first time his ship’s gone down. However, the story really belongs to Bullock, who inhabits her character Dr. Ryan Stone (“my dad wanted a boy”) with emotional intensity.

Stone has none of Kowalski’s confidence, and is terrified when things go awry. We learn she has lost a young daughter, and since then retreated into her research. Cuarón revisits themes of futility explored in Children of Men as Stone must decide whether to resign herself to fate and be reunited with her daughter, or fight desperately for life. With little desire for self preservation, she teeters on the verge of accepting the former more than once.

The tool of her absolution is a symbolic rebirth, explicitly visualised when she removes her bulky spacesuit for the first time and drifts in a foetal position, the cable that tethered her to the ill-fated shuttle floating past as a suggestive umbilical cord. Dressed simply, her vulnerability at this point is reminiscent of Sigourney Weaver’s Ripley in Alien (1979).

Gravity is the latest exploration of how far visual technology has come since the pioneering Avatar (2009). While that film basked in the visual candy of alien flora and fauna, Gravity’s portrayal of the vacuum of space, and the perceived lack of a certain fundamental interaction, invites comparisons with other masterpieces of space on film.

Themes of rebirth and the use of long, uninterrupted shots owe a debt to 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), which is ultimately wider in scope. Though elegance remains in Kubrick’s classically scored wide shots of docking spacecraft, Gravity ups the ante by dynamically moving the camera through these long sequences, swooping around characters and spacecraft to fully exploit the versatile digital environment. Composer Steven Price’s score meanwhile is haunting silence highlighted by thunderous crescendo. Long shots are interspersed with the view from Bullock’s perspective, emphasising disorientation as she spins out of control.

It’s hard to believe 2001 was released 45 years ago when its effects, created sans computer, still appear so realistic. Kubrick achieved weightlessness with strings, while cameras filming from unconventional directions turned the pendulum-like swing into weightless drifting in another axis. The iconic floating pen was achieved by fixing it to a transparent sheet of rotating plastic. It’s a mark of how far effects have come that multiple pens, along with a plethora of other equipment, frequently spin past Bullock as she clambers through space station interiors.

Apollo 13 (1995) eschewed special effects for the real thing, filming aboard NASA’s astronaut training aircraft, the famous “Vomit Comet” which completed hundreds of descents to give the film makers enough time to shoot. Incidentally, another link between the films sees (or hears) Apollo 13’s mission controller Ed Harris reprises his role as the voice of Houston at the start of Gravity. Notably absent in Gravity are the Earth-based back stories and cutaways to Houston’s desperate attempts at rescue exactly the kind of narrative that padded out Apollo 13. When communications go down early in the film, they are completely on their own.
  99. Oct 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I found this movie a little too hyped.

The visuals, directing, sound & music design, science, immersiveness deserves a huge amount of praise, especially because it's a new style never explored before which makes it even more difficult for Alfonso Cuarón to get them right.

However I felt like the script was a letdown. It was too cliche to be revolutionary. They need a twist? Debris flying in your direction! Or fuel conveniently runs out. Also felt a little too draggy at a few points. I also felt that they could have expanded on the 'Russia blowing up their satellites and somehow taking out half of US' satellites causing nationwide comms blackout'. That was such a good plot to expand on.

Still would strongly recommend everyone to watch this though.
  100. Oct 23, 2013
    Meh, it's ok, (relatively) short and predictable. Shots/special effects are _very good, but there are several dull/slow moments that really don't fit; George Clooney's performance is very limited. Overall, I was expecting much more.

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.