Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: October 4, 2013
Generally favorable reviews based on 3012 Ratings
2,372
WATCH NOW
FuturedirectorMar 20, 2016
Gravity shows exactly how a good film should be: with a talented cast, a skilled direction, thrilling storytelling, cool visual effects, gripping and undeniably smart.
reviewfrom19842Jan 24, 2017
Gravity has good acting and good writing. I really did feel like I was in space with these people .
BrandonBonaseraDec 31, 2016
Gravity is a terrifying, utterly breathtaking, beautiful and amazing thrill ride filled with incredible tension along with fantastic visuals and score.
DemonDan13Dec 27, 2016
Safe summer blockbuster. The premise and happenings of the movie are completely ludicrous. If I wasn't subjected to Sandra Bullock's annoying whiny voice I may have rated it a six.
gOct 8, 2016
The cinematography and the soundtrack is suited well for a film like this but I think the story takes place in one place and that is out of space, which stories that deserves respect is apart of the beauty and the evolution of cinema.
Muskrat147Aug 19, 2016
Taking on the title of not only a technical achievement, but a masterpiece, Gravity soars off of the screen with its dazzling cinematography, exceptional performances, and stellar visual effects.
CinemaphileJul 29, 2016
In Space, no one can hear the marketing. Viral or big dollar.

In Space, no one can hear the marketing. Viral or big dollar.

That aside, Gravity does deliver, on a technical and personal level, but not on the "best film ever made" level. Director/screenwriter Cuaron does deliver, with the assistance of his brother and an army of CG artists, an emotional and technical triumph, but Gravity falls back on the tradtional Hollywood action formula. Granted, Cuaron weaves an subtle umbilical motif throughout the film, but he has to also rely on plot devices to take Bullock from lifeboat to lifeboat necessary to drive the narrative. Gravity is a similar film to Castaway, relying on characterization to buoy a simple story, but unlike Castaway, Gravity often eschews reason to adhere to its extended metaphor - a forgivable flaw.

Much is to be admired about Gravity, though. Cuaron isn't afraid to digitally paint grant vistas with long, ponderously beautiful shots that last for three days. Gravity also is the first film to use 3D effectively, using it to create depth and perspective unattained in any other 3D motion picture. That perspective, in many scenes emphasizes the smallness of humanity in comparison with the vastness of space, a technique missing from a pantheon of epic skiffy flicks with ginourmous armadas of ginourmous space ships. However, that doesn't stop Cuaron from making numerous nods to those same epics. Yes, if you look and listen, you'll see and hear snippets of 2001 A Space Odyssey, Star Wars and Alien.

At best, Gravity is a personal space odyssey that could encourage a new generation of astronauts, and at worst a top 50 Blu Ray in your movie collection.

Gravity is worth a full price ticket and best viewed in 3D IMAX. Apollo 13 it is not, but it is still an E ticket ride, at least for those who remember what that is, or that at one time the US had a manned space program.
RobertStraussJun 11, 2016
”You have to see this movie on the big screen otherwise it’s boring and non-satisfying!”
In my opinion that’s just nonsense. Of course the experience is better but even though I didn’t get the chance to see it in theater I was still stunned when I saw it at home for the first time.
First of all let’s get to the overall plot: A team of astronauts are out in space to repair the Hubble telescope when a Russian satellite is getting hit by a rocket and now wreckage of this satellite is about to collide with them. After that the only goal of everyone who survived this accident is to get back to earth alive.
Gravity isn’t a Science Fiction movie, it’s more of a nerve-racking thriller. The main characters are played by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney who both do an excellent job but this flick isn’t outstanding because of the great acting or the story, it’s the superior technical level this movie is on. Whether you talk about sound, which of course isn’t always around as you are in space, so the most of the time you just listen to the powerful soundtrack, the impressive visuals when thousands of pieces of metal fly by you, or just the camera movement by Emmanuel Lubezki who won several Oscars for a good reason.
In the first few minutes you get to see a very long shot which really involves you into the catastrophic events. Even when you are just at home lying on your couch you feel sick in the stomach when crewmembers are tumbling around. It’s really rare that I can feel for the characters that much as in Gravity, which gets supported by POV (point of view) shots here and there. That’s why I don’t get why a lot of people are complaining about this movie being boring, as he doesn’t let you breathe a lot during the short runtime of 91 minutes.
The only concern I got with the film is a very cliché turning point within the movie, but I don’t want to spoil things here so I’ll just leave you with that. This aspect gets easily dubbed by all the other great things I mentioned.
In the end Gravity isn’t just a movie, it’s more of an experience you should witness. Don’t get turned off by people complaining about watching the movie at home although a big TV and some good headphones or a surround system are recommendable. Overall it’s not perfect but definitely worth a watch!
FabriccioJun 3, 2016
I'm giving 3 just because of the music and the special effects but man the story and dialogues are indescribable horrible, what was this guy thinking when he wrote this? besides several silly plot holes on the sci-fi, I wouldn't recommendI'm giving 3 just because of the music and the special effects but man the story and dialogues are indescribable horrible, what was this guy thinking when he wrote this? besides several silly plot holes on the sci-fi, I wouldn't recommend anyone to watch this plain waste of time. Expand
bfoore90Mar 24, 2016
A well made film to say the least that displays a story that is terrifying, realistic, beautiful and amazing thrill ride filled with non-stop suspense and an incredible tension that makes it well worth of its critical acclaim
RomanKirbyMar 5, 2016
A film that looks fantastic on Blu-ray and a great TV but without both of them the film looks bad. It's an amazing film but the best bit is how it looks.
JarodyFeb 20, 2016
Gravity is the best picture nominated space film directed by Oscar winner Alfonso Cuaron. Firstly the acting in this movie is fantastic, and the characters are quite likable too. The film is amazingly shot, because it really feels like theGravity is the best picture nominated space film directed by Oscar winner Alfonso Cuaron. Firstly the acting in this movie is fantastic, and the characters are quite likable too. The film is amazingly shot, because it really feels like the characters are floating in space. It does a great job of making a film that has only two cast members really in it and the realism in the film is incredible. However the movie can get quite boring, and it feels quite repetitive because they are in the same setting throughout the movie. And if you watch the film on anything other than a big TV and the cinema it is quite disappointing. After reviewing all these points I came to the conclusion that gravity is a fantastically shot film and a good movie, but it isn't as fantastic as people say. Expand
EpicLadySpongeFeb 4, 2016
Stay floating, my friends, as we join in the Epic Space Adventure of 2013 named Gravity! Gravity will not leave you behind, but it'll keep you floating until the movie's over.
siskakudoFeb 1, 2016
Drama is a semi-fiction which tells about an in-depth character development and interaction. A dramatic film shows the emotional stories among the characters in a serious situation.
“My Sister’s Keeper” is an American and dramatic movie
“My Sister’s Keeper” is an American and dramatic movie which is directed by Nick Cassavetes. It was released in 2009 and was based on the novel written by Jodi Picoult. “My Sister’s Keeper” had won several awards such as Teen Choice Award (2009) in the category of Choice Summer Movie Drama, ALMA Awards (2009) in the category of Outstanding Actress in Motion Picture, won by Cameron Diaz, and Young Artist Award in two categories: Best Performance in a Feature Film-Leading Young Actress, won by Abigail Breslin, and Best Performance in a Feature Film-Supporting Actress, won by Sofia Vassilieva.
Anna Fitzgerald (Abigail Breslin) was born by genetically engineered to save her sister, Kate Fitzgerald (Sofia Vassilieva), who suffered from acute promyelocytic leukemia when she was still a kid. To let Kate keep alive, her mother, Sara Fitzgerald (Cameron Diaz) gave up of her career as a lawyer and be a full time housewife to take care of Kate. But when Kate turned fifteen, she had renal failure. So this time, Anna was then forced by her mother to donate to Kate one of her kidney, but Anna did not agree to it because her future would be affected. Then she decided to sue her parents to seek medical emancipation and after many of her internal organs, tissues, and blood cells were donated to Kate. So, this ends the synopsis.
There are some aspects that I like and dislike from the movie. I like the acting of the characters because they seem to act really good especially the main characters. Kate’s family shows unconditional love towards her. Their sadness is simply so touching. About the editing aspect, I most like the flashback scenes. These scenes help the audience to get more understood where a problem actually comes from. The costume design is quite simple, but what matters is the movie inspires.
To my opinion, I dislike the visual effects. They are too ordinary and plain, and not fascinating. These have made me feel no patience and I cannot wait to watch the ending of the movie. Also for the editing, some dialogues are muted. The muted dialogues let the audience to guess and will be unsure to what the characters are talking about. There are few inaudible dialogues when Sara is communicating with the doctors and the nurses. “My Sister’s Keeper” actually prefers to have narrations instead of playing the background music. Therefore, the background music is only played for once or twice.
My overall reaction is, I like the beginning of the story. I find it ethical and good to watch although it is less humorous and not entertain. Nevertheless, it is fine to try to watch for at least once. I think you should prepare some tissue paper to dry your tears because the story is really sad. Plus, this is a parental guidance movie so it is better to take your whole family along. For the ratings, then I can rate that “My Sister’s Keeper” gets 7.9 out of 10 scores.
BarneyOnMTJan 23, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: This film is a unique experience. It makes you feel in awe, tense, excited and confused - somehow it absorbs you in the world (or rather out of it!) to the point where you forget about anything else. It's just so real. This isWHAT I LIKED: This film is a unique experience. It makes you feel in awe, tense, excited and confused - somehow it absorbs you in the world (or rather out of it!) to the point where you forget about anything else. It's just so real. This is because not only are the visuals stunning and awe-inspiring, but there's a suprisingly excllent performance from Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, who manage make it personal and play these roles with conviction, and the changing emotions you might expect.
This movie constantly flits moods and emotions, which is why it doesn't drag or bore (when it easily could have) and just when you think 's okay, something always happens to catch you off guard, maintaining the tension perfectly. 'Gravity' is bloody amazing
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The sheer tension and bleakness does take away some of the potential for emotion - you don't neccessarily feel sympathy towards the characters, more for the situation itself, but this is still thanks to great acting
VERDICT: It's nothing sort of bloody amazing. Gravity is a bleak, scary, brilliant space adventure like no other. Just wow.
GuillermoBMJan 20, 2016
Summary: Gravity is stressful, well-acted and consistently frightening, despite its thin plot. 94/100 [A-]

The film takes you into a suffocating atmosphere and plays with your mind at times. The visual effects are mind blowing and it does not matter if you watch it on 3D or 2D, the experience is great. It does not have the greatest plot ever, but it is quite curious that a movie does not need to be rich in storyline to be great. Gravity has enough visuals and superb performances to succeed. I watched it with very high expectations and it did not disappoint me. This film definitely deserves its high ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic (96/100 and 97% respectively). It was worth the hype. I could not breath during the whole movie and my heart was racing. I almost had a heart attack watching this.

Gravity is undoubtedly the most thrilling film of 2013. The movie kept me on the edge of my seat all along. I am calling it now one of the best movies of the year. It did not need a complex storyline or a brainy script to be a good movie. The plot was quite easy to follow and understandable to me. I felt connected with the characters. They are not boring scientists, they are humans, and the dialog between them felt very genuine to me. Moving on, it does not matter if you watch Gravity on a small TV or on your laptop the experience is still great. Damn, I could watch this film like a hundred times and never get bored. I also want to add that the musical score is astonishingly masterful.

On the upside, Gravity is highly entertaining, scary and unforgettable. It has top-notch visual effects, and its final act is neat. Watch it if you have high expectations or if you are a fan of the horror genre, also if you liked some other films from this amazing Mexican director. I am pretty sure that fans from the writer-director Alfonso Cuarón will not be disappointed. On the downside, the plot may seem short for some people, but as I said above, it does not need a vast plot to be an excellent film. In conclusion, Gravity is a terrific piece of work that boasts: the best CGI I have seen in a film, a heartbreaking performance by Sandra Bullock, and an impeccable direction by Cuarón. [A-]
MrDaxter25Jan 9, 2016
Gravity ist einer der besten Filme seines Genres. Er überzeugt nicht nur durch durch seine Schauspieler, sondern auch durch einen ungewöhnlich hohen Grad an Realismus. Die Story ist extrem packend und die Situation wird durch Sandra BullockGravity ist einer der besten Filme seines Genres. Er überzeugt nicht nur durch durch seine Schauspieler, sondern auch durch einen ungewöhnlich hohen Grad an Realismus. Die Story ist extrem packend und die Situation wird durch Sandra Bullock extrem gut dargestellt und die zwei Stunden vergehen wie im Flug. Allerdings werden die agierenden Personen Charaktäre nicht sehr gut ausgeleuchtet und die Protagonisten bleiben blass. Alles in allem sehr gute 8 von 10 Punkten Expand
audreythomas25Dec 24, 2015
One of the greatest man-versus-nature movies in cinematic history.

Watch this movie online http://www.watchfree.to/watch-2a17d4-Gravity-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
PendraDec 18, 2015
The visuals are kinda nice, but the content is ridiculous. I don't know who wrote this, but he had clearly no freakin idea about space, orbit, physics or gravity for that matter. Nothing in this movie makes the slightest sense.
CineAutoctonoDec 2, 2015
That movie eh !, I have never felt so much suspense in my life with this great movie , which survive in space is a matter of fear, but of luck. Too bad we did not win the Oscar for Best Picture. but I am aware that is magnified.
nirvanafreakNov 7, 2015
.....boring. i hate everyone for making me think it'd be good to watch. seriously **** all of you. I'm never gonna watch this piece of **** again.....
galactafunkNov 2, 2015
Brilliant and brave this film has an unorthodox narrative and framework but tells a beautiful story. The two lead actors are phenomenal and the direction is visionary. A different type of movie than the usual fodder. Highly recommended.
FilmQueenOct 30, 2015
This movie is extremely overrated considering how much praise it gets and how badly it sucks!!
The only good thing about this film is that it looks good , but that's it. Basically if I wanted to see this I could have watched a documentary about space and I would have seen the same, except in that case I would also have learnt some facts. This film has no plot, nothing happens, Sandra Bullock floats in space, pushes buttons and talks to herself. Her character is an utterly incompetent astronaut, in fact she is also an incompetent human being because she does not have survival instinct. She is totally unrealistic. George Clooney's character has even less survival instinct, in fact he is probably the most ridiculously unrealistic character I have ever seen in a movie. (At least as far as I can remember.)
This movie is terribly boring, its 90 minutes felt more like 180 minutes. Don't watch this! I can't possibly recommend it to anyone.

[SPOILER:]

I really hoped that some wild animal eats her in the end, like a crocodile in the water or something. It would have been so hilarious and ironic. She survived space but now surprise.. dies on Earth because she has landed at an unfortunate location in the wild. That would have been so nice! LMAO
StatlerWaldorfOct 27, 2015
I put off watching Gravity because someone told me it was a really good film about a dying astronaut and I pictured something like Ray Bradbury’s Kaleidoscope, which has, in my mind, always been itching to be a really slow, understated,I put off watching Gravity because someone told me it was a really good film about a dying astronaut and I pictured something like Ray Bradbury’s Kaleidoscope, which has, in my mind, always been itching to be a really slow, understated, Oscar-bait-port-to-film. My imaginary version of Gravity is a better meditation on death but it’s also way the **** boring as compared to the real Gravity. Alfonso Cuarón perfected some of the best longshots in film history with Children of Men and he brings the same choreographic talent to 0 G—shut up Neil Tyson, stop texting during the goddamn movie—sorry. Anyway, it’s beautiful and real enough to be a non-stop human vs. space thrill. An internal subplot about Sandra Bullock’s daughter and some heavy-handed symbolism kind of stilt the action through the second and third trimester (wink) though. It’s frustrating because in a very spare film these sorts of additions stand in high relief, which is great if you’re trying to say something, but just confusing if you have nothing to say. I don’t think Gravity actually has anything to say about death, birth, or evolution, but I liked it enough as a space thriller that if someone can convince me that there is something to its reference of those three concepts in a way that does not make you sound like a stoned college freshman then I will call it an 8. Expand
Regn752Oct 24, 2015
As a person who has a strong interest in the Sciences, this movie was too "hollywoodish" for me to enjoy and therefore my opinion is very biased. The movie sacrifices realism for as much action and suspense as possible and not recommended forAs a person who has a strong interest in the Sciences, this movie was too "hollywoodish" for me to enjoy and therefore my opinion is very biased. The movie sacrifices realism for as much action and suspense as possible and not recommended for space enthusiasts.

It did have very impressive visuals however, the ships exploding and the debris everywhere was very impressive.
SaxifragaOct 17, 2015
Another stupid film for the stupid masses. Everybody who has seen the real 3D Imax film about the last Hubble service knows what I am talking about. This film is trash from the first minute. No Astronaut is driving his jetpack around theAnother stupid film for the stupid masses. Everybody who has seen the real 3D Imax film about the last Hubble service knows what I am talking about. This film is trash from the first minute. No Astronaut is driving his jetpack around the Space Shuttle like G. Clowny. WTF!? Who came up with that trash and why do people like this trash? Humans are such a disapointment. :( Expand
Movie_StuffOct 15, 2015
This movie was a fairly good movie, containing amazing acting and stunning special effects, although the plot was a little far-fetched. It forced me to suspend my disbelief a little more than I would like to.
TheDude-Oct 15, 2015
Gravity is a fantastic film with visuals that your eyes will feast upon, special effects never seen so good in a film and has some of the most tension filled moments in film my only problem with the film is that sandra bullocks character feltGravity is a fantastic film with visuals that your eyes will feast upon, special effects never seen so good in a film and has some of the most tension filled moments in film my only problem with the film is that sandra bullocks character felt so "movie" if that makes any sense her entire backstory is so cheesy and cliche its hard to take seriously. Expand
QuelhasOct 10, 2015
I find it very hard to describe the feeling I had watching this movie. A combination of boredom and unpleasant feelings, and the worst part is that the majority of it takes place in vacuum space, with Sandra Bullock character in agony. GreatI find it very hard to describe the feeling I had watching this movie. A combination of boredom and unpleasant feelings, and the worst part is that the majority of it takes place in vacuum space, with Sandra Bullock character in agony. Great role she played, yes, but this is a painful movie in many levels. Have you ever watched films directed or produced by so-called intellectuals, that are rolled in just one room the entire time, or with just one actor? This is an example of it, with the difference of not being intellectual at all. Expand
sinadoomOct 3, 2015
Possibly the most boring movie ever created. Literally has no plot, no acting, no character development whatsoever. It's mind-boggling to think that anyone can like a film where nothing happens.
RobertBroganOct 1, 2015
Gravity is an effects extravaganza with near miss after near miss. The action is almost continual, of the "out of the frying pan, into the fire" variety. If the trailer piques your interest, you are unlikely to be disappointed. SandraGravity is an effects extravaganza with near miss after near miss. The action is almost continual, of the "out of the frying pan, into the fire" variety. If the trailer piques your interest, you are unlikely to be disappointed. Sandra Bullock's performance is solid. Gravity's main drawback is lack of pacing and lack of dramatic tension. There are no flashbacks and many sequences are long shot after long shot to the point where it goes from impressive to showing off. Still, I'd have to say Gravity is what it is supposed to be: action-packed and thrilling. Expand
PielstickSep 11, 2015
Amazing visual effects are not enough to save this movie from the awful script and wooden acting.

Sandra Bullock's portrayal of a NASA astronaut does the real life article a disservice.
43in2014Aug 1, 2015
Prior to watching this: I was considering watching the film in 3D. Didn't do it. Left wondering if I should have.

Pros: 1. Great action and CGI. 2. Great cinematography. Cons: 1. Very little story. It was as if the characters were

Pros:
1. Great action and CGI.
2. Great cinematography.

Cons:
1. Very little story. It was as if the characters were desperately trying to tell their backstory and they fail. Left me feeling unfullfilled at the end due to the lack of story.
2. There are many plot holes and many (astro)physical errors.
3. Definitely does not deserve full points and definitely not best film of that year.

Score: 4/5 (no half scores). It's worth paying to watch it in the cinema and in 3D.
TrilobiteGJul 10, 2015
A decent suspenseful adventure that falls flat in sequences that admire space in an attempt to say: 'HEY!! LOOK! SPECIAL EFFECTS!!!!'. It was unnecessary and there were many opportunities to admire the special effects anyway in the actionA decent suspenseful adventure that falls flat in sequences that admire space in an attempt to say: 'HEY!! LOOK! SPECIAL EFFECTS!!!!'. It was unnecessary and there were many opportunities to admire the special effects anyway in the action sequences, just boring and time filling. This being said, still enjoyable due to the 5 minute sections of incredibly shot action and distress. Expand
minhthuannJun 12, 2015
This movie has a boring storyline, Sandra Bullock's acting was not close to good and the score was overrated. The only thing I liked about this movie was its director - Alfonso Cuaron, who indeed deserves the Oscar; and its cinematography andThis movie has a boring storyline, Sandra Bullock's acting was not close to good and the score was overrated. The only thing I liked about this movie was its director - Alfonso Cuaron, who indeed deserves the Oscar; and its cinematography and filming. However the film is way too overrated. I was surprised that it receives so much critical acclaim. Expand
PeterAlexanderJun 10, 2015
Terrifying. Truly terrifying. Alfonso Cuaron successfully turns a ninety minute film about a woman floating in space, into one of the most terrifyingly amazing films ever made. The eerily beautiful score by Steven Price combines with stunningTerrifying. Truly terrifying. Alfonso Cuaron successfully turns a ninety minute film about a woman floating in space, into one of the most terrifyingly amazing films ever made. The eerily beautiful score by Steven Price combines with stunning visuals, heartfelt moments and gripping sequences to create the best film of 2013. Expand
Epik_NinnjaMay 23, 2015
A fantastic spectacle in terms of intense scenes full of top-notch CGI. The acting, despite the minimal dialogue, is clearly good and the story is very simplistic but entertaining. It's absolutely worth at least one watch, as it's a qualityA fantastic spectacle in terms of intense scenes full of top-notch CGI. The acting, despite the minimal dialogue, is clearly good and the story is very simplistic but entertaining. It's absolutely worth at least one watch, as it's a quality adventure from the all-is-normal beginning to the been-through-hell ending. It isn't a masterpiece, though. I don't feel it deserves a score of 96 but it's still at least an 8/10, if not an 8.5/10. However, it doesn't quite have the same effect on blu-ray as it did in the theater. I recommend you watch it on as large a TV as possible. Expand
ghashmogMay 20, 2015
I found this film very boring, it does almost nothing happens and it's very long, it's without interest, it's very very annoying and I don't recomanded this movie
ryangoslingApr 25, 2015
The movie looks great. The first 40 minutes are just breathtaking. I'm not exactly a Sandra Bullock fan, but in this film she does a great job. The same goes for George Clooney. My only complaint is the end of the movie which, to me, was justThe movie looks great. The first 40 minutes are just breathtaking. I'm not exactly a Sandra Bullock fan, but in this film she does a great job. The same goes for George Clooney. My only complaint is the end of the movie which, to me, was just not believable enough. The move should have ended 15 mins before it actually did. Expand
skellys_pal_matApr 18, 2015
I enjoyed Gravity, but I don't think it *quite* lived up to all the initial hype. The visuals were certainly impressive (even more so in IMAX 3-D, as I saw it), and I was never bored or anything, but there seemed to be a lot more spectacleI enjoyed Gravity, but I don't think it *quite* lived up to all the initial hype. The visuals were certainly impressive (even more so in IMAX 3-D, as I saw it), and I was never bored or anything, but there seemed to be a lot more spectacle than plot or character development. An enjoyable watch that one time in the theater -- but I don't think it would be nearly as impressive re-watching on home video, and I for one will probably not feel the need to see it again anytime soon, if ever. Expand
Le__XenomorphApr 13, 2015
This movie is insane...Just insane. The effects and the acting are the best part of the movie. I mean, Sandra Bullock did get nominated for best actress for this, and rightly so as you can really feel her sense of distress and terror.This movie is insane...Just insane. The effects and the acting are the best part of the movie. I mean, Sandra Bullock did get nominated for best actress for this, and rightly so as you can really feel her sense of distress and terror. Although the writing isn't that strong, Sandra Bullock does great with what she is given and the effects are mind-blowing, especially in IMAX. 8/10 (Great) Expand
teddylukeApr 8, 2015
gravity is amazing it is breathing how amazing this film I looks amazing . gravity does a lot of things right the charters are great the acting is great is just a great film.
VinceRocks123Apr 5, 2015
An amazing speed arch down into oblivion, Gravity shatters our imagination with lots of intensive and thematic elements throughout almost the entire film, that by the end I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

The film was

The film was chillingly spectacular, though some effects weren't realistic I kind of enjoyed the original IMAX format more than ever, with a superb directing by Alfonso Cuaron and volunteering performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, this is probably will be the first of a new kind of disaster film in a dimension where there is no air to breathe.

I put this in my best sci-fi films list, and will be remembering (and probably also traumatized) the experience I had watching this in my downtown cinema!!
Mario_LuigiMar 31, 2015
Very boring. Most of time you hear awful breathing. Sandra in outer space - a very doubtful decision. while watching you wait something interesting, but this movie doesn't show something worth watching.
MrMovieBuffMar 17, 2015
'Gravity' is the sci-fi thriller directed by Alfonso Cuaron, best known for directing 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban' (2004) and 'Children of Men' (2006). Here, he shows off some of his best directing skills just like how Ang Lee'Gravity' is the sci-fi thriller directed by Alfonso Cuaron, best known for directing 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban' (2004) and 'Children of Men' (2006). Here, he shows off some of his best directing skills just like how Ang Lee did that with 'Life of Pi' (2012) the year before. The only unfortunate thing is; do not watch this film on a small screen with amateur quality.

Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are the two main stars, they play astronauts who are caught up in a situation in space. Bullock's character clearly isn't prepared for anything when it comes to space, Clooney does his best to calm her down and takes her through the situation in a slow and structured manner.

A lot of the movie is filmed with long, continuous shots and it is a technical marvel, a feast for the eyes.

Bullock gives one of her best performances to date, an actress I am not a huge fan of simply because she is better known for films such as; 'Miss Congeniality' (2000) and 'Two Weeks Notice' (2002), I didn't see the appeal of these two films. But she has proven herself in this movie just like she did in 'Speed' (1994), okay...I am a guy and I do like "guy movies", but there are some "girly movies" as well that are great like...ahem 'Mean Girls' (2004), unfortunately Bullock wasn't in this.

Overall, 'Gravity' is absolutely intense, beautifully filmed and full of great performances from its likeable actors.
homer4presidentMar 11, 2015
The story is refreshing and original and I found the special effects and action sequences to be spectacular. Sandra Bullocks does a superb job of acting and the fear which grips her is palpable. However, some of the character interactionsThe story is refreshing and original and I found the special effects and action sequences to be spectacular. Sandra Bullocks does a superb job of acting and the fear which grips her is palpable. However, some of the character interactions seem odd and unconvincing, much in part due to George Clooney's rigid and stale performance. He seems completely and oddly immune to the circumstances in which the astronauts find themselves. Expand
tjman09Mar 10, 2015
I just don't understand the love of this film. The visuals are stunning and the tone is great, but I'm sorry, Gravity's a decent film in my opinion, not as great as it's been made out to be. I found this film boring, it's the first film I'veI just don't understand the love of this film. The visuals are stunning and the tone is great, but I'm sorry, Gravity's a decent film in my opinion, not as great as it's been made out to be. I found this film boring, it's the first film I've fallen asleep while watching in a long time. The film bends scientific facts to keep certain characters alive, despite trying to be realistic. The tension of the film never feels real to me, because the film constantly bends it's own rules to keep a character alive. Then 37 minutes into an approximately 90 minute movie, the film takes an unexpected turn that renders the rest of the film moot, and completely destroys any potential tension any viewer who is paying attention would have felt. Plus the dialogue, is dry and bland, and the film tries to confuse us to think there's some tension, but only confuses, with flashbacks. All of this leads me to say I didn't really like this film, and somehow it has everybody raving, I just don't know. Expand
emlugo123Mar 9, 2015
Visuals were STUNNING! Space felt so real, I felt like I was right there with Sandra. Great special effects! The plot was good, not groundbreaking but this movie has a very good message to it.
OzyMar 2, 2015
There really wasn't much of a 'movie' here. This was more like dot points to what will happen if certain events took place in space whilst you were space walking. If it were based on a true story i wouldn't have expected anything more thanThere really wasn't much of a 'movie' here. This was more like dot points to what will happen if certain events took place in space whilst you were space walking. If it were based on a true story i wouldn't have expected anything more than what it was, in fact i would have scored a lot higher. But it wasn't, it was made up. And that is my problem, there could have been a little more story telling more feeling maybe some romance etc. I loved the visual aspect and thought the acting was great. In fact i thought it was made really well, just needed more story telling, it felt bland. Expand
MarianaHJaimesFeb 25, 2015
I saw nothing special about this film, if I admit that the effects are great but the plot is very limited and that end is very simple, I cannot see what all they commented on it.
tjosephubertFeb 19, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, so, obviously, there are a lot of people that did not like the movie. While they're entitled to their own opinions, I think the biggest reason for their disappointment are these two reasons: the plot, and the actual "science" of the film

First, we'll start off with the plot. Really, the entire basis of the plot is that, during a space walk, a large debris field is created that threatens the lives of all the people that are on the United Sates' Explorer (a rocket). That's it. But, if you look a little deeper, you'll see that there's more to it than that. You see, the story is really character driven. You're supposed to care for Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt Kowalski (George Clooney). The story is entirely about Stone. It is about her learning to live life instead of just "driving," or in other words, just living. After she lost her daughter, she never fully coped. In fact, she just went as life went. Job, space, whatever. They were just things to her. Nothing was really important other than her job. But when she is in space, her problems become clearer, and she is able to deal with them. My favorite part of the movie is actually when, after being untethered from her companion, she falls asleep in the fetal position. In this scene, the tether is seen in the background, giving the appearance of a fetus; it's symbolism of her being reborn. Now, to me, there were really two separate plots, the first, the debris cloud, was very weak; however, the second, the story of her coming to grips with her daughter's death, was very strong. In fact, it is the strongest part of the film, and it is the reason that critics fell in love with it. I think that the people who don't like the movie either missed this plot, or they could not connect with it. I was someone who could connect with it, and very easily so.

Now, the second complaint about the movie is the "science" part of it. Firstly, there are many errors that were made mostly with the physics. Actually, the whole premise of the space debris cloud is impossible. The locations of the Chinese and Russian stations are also changed to match the plot. What I don't understand about this complaint is the fact that this movie is "science fiction." Because it is fiction, as a movie writer, they changed facts. Actually, the definition of science fiction means that it is based off of a future (unless it is in the present) that has imagined scientific advancements and technologies. Now, technically speaking, a movie can change the facts of life. If someone wanted to make a movie where the was absolutely no gravity on earth, they could do that. If they wanted to make a movie where water was really soda, they could do that as well. Just because they made many changes from actual reality does not make this a bad film. Sure, you can easily spot what they got wrong, but if you do that, you'll miss all of the things that they got right!

Now, for my actual review. This movie is beautiful. I mean, it contains some of the most beautiful images ever captured on film. Earth viewed by from space is a stunning back drop. Actually, space itself is beautiful in this movie. However, what I thought they did very well was that they took something beautiful (the stillness and awe inspiring aspects of earth and space) and they showed us that it is equally as dangerous as it is beautiful. That, despite us being able to go to space, with out the things we've created, there is no possible way to stay alive there. That it is dangerous. That it is an endless wall of black, and that when untethered, we will float endlessly to our deaths in it.

Other than the beauty, what I thought was best about this movie was the drama. Sure, the special effects are great, but the depth of the characters were amazing. We only got to see the shell of Ryan Stone until the very end of the movie. The biggest thing that stuck out to me was that by the end, she still didn't care whether she lived or died. But the reasons for that changed. She didn't care because she knew she was trying, and she knew that she was fighting, and because of those two reasons, she knew that she was living. She'd finally dealt with her problems and she was at ease. She knew that it didn't matter anymore because her life had been well lived: she had had a daughter, she had gone to space, she had survived for as long as she had, and if she died, at least she'd be doing it while feeling alive.

So, at the end of the movie, when she finally takes her last steps, she knows that she made it. That she gets a second chance to live her life. That she's no longer going to be "just riding." And that is her greatest triumph as she takes her first steps on earth. The promise of her new life that could have only been achieved by going through the travesty of surviving her ordeal in space. And those final steps, paired with the emotional score, are the most triumphant final steps taken from any movie. And if you can see that, you'll enjoy it as well.
kurt963Feb 16, 2015
boring movie, good looking if not enough, if i want see earth from space without history, i can see nasa channel. anyway,this movie is worth see it, just for the awesome images from space. you can put mute.
SuperficialityFeb 7, 2015
Critic reviews are way too high. I admit, the effects are very real and interesting but the concept is so boring. The girl is a great actor, but the thrills of imminent death just aren't enough to make up for the emptiness of space and theCritic reviews are way too high. I admit, the effects are very real and interesting but the concept is so boring. The girl is a great actor, but the thrills of imminent death just aren't enough to make up for the emptiness of space and the movie itself. Expand
borderlinefilmsFeb 5, 2015
Earth to Sandra B

Earth to Sandra B

All the praise for Gravity is pretty much warranted. It's a refreshing and original, almost real-time, almost science-factual, not-too-outer- space thriller. But not enough credit has been given to Sandra Bullock. I've never been a big fan of Ms B. I passed her off as a light-weight Rom-Com ditz with a pretty face. She recently won a Best Actor Oscar for a film I have no intention of ever watching. She's just a tad too airy and fluffy for my taste. But she manages to weigh in with gravitas in Gravity and pull off a harrowing yet seemingly effortless performance. She's in frame for most of the 90 minutes and we never tire of watching her. Above all, and the true mark of a great performance, you can't imagine anyone else playing the role. The part was originally slated for the overrated Angelina Jolie, but i can't imagine Jolie giving it much credibility. Bullock's performance is delicate and well-balanced here, very physical in her desperate attempts for survival, yet intimate and understated, considering the circumstances. I was surprised by the way she carried the movie, alone for the most part (accompanied by Emmanuel Lubezki's glorious weightless and wandering camera floating in and out of close ups and stalking and twirling around her obsessively), talking to herself, trying to hang on to her sanity and maintain her wits to keep alive to return to earth, mind and body intact. She could have pulled it off alone without GQ Clooney altogether. The only other person I can imagine in this role is Jessica Chastain, who has a distinctive edge about her. But Bullock never rubs us the wrong way. She may not convince anyone that she's a brilliant scientist, but she won me over by evoking life's instinctual resolve, and convincing us how precious and precarious life can be. She's nearly 50, a movie actress for more than 2 decades, and still as cute as a button. To her credit, she never attempts to do more than she's capable of. That is, she isn't pretentious or over-reaching. She's sensitive yet comfortable with herself. Assertive yet vulnerable. I'm a Bullock fan now. I look forward to seeing more of her. I trust she will only improve with age. Bravo Sandra!
HSPLazerzJan 30, 2015
Quite frankly, yes, it was an alright movie. It was a great thrill ride, but nothing else. I didn't feel any emotion, care about any characters, nothing, it was just a thrill ride, and that's fine, but the amount of praise the movie gets forQuite frankly, yes, it was an alright movie. It was a great thrill ride, but nothing else. I didn't feel any emotion, care about any characters, nothing, it was just a thrill ride, and that's fine, but the amount of praise the movie gets for it is just absolutely **** insane! That's the reason I'm giving it a zero, which is unfair, yes, but god dammit, why would a movie like this recieve so much praise? Great visuals? Cool, but that doesn't equal a good movie. Creepy soundtrack that sets the mood? Fair enough, great, but that doesn't equal a good movie. Great cinematography? Yes! I love that, but none of any of that matters in the end if I feel no care or affection for anything about or in the movie. Another well made thrill ride that deserves max a like, 6 or 7/10. Expand
googolendtimesJan 28, 2015
Visually, "Gravity" is a work of art. It is serene, eerie, and captivating. As a storytelling piece, however, it is serene, eerie, and captivating only for the first half-hour. After that point, it becomes a series of repetitive set piecesVisually, "Gravity" is a work of art. It is serene, eerie, and captivating. As a storytelling piece, however, it is serene, eerie, and captivating only for the first half-hour. After that point, it becomes a series of repetitive set pieces drifting towards a predictable outcome that simply isn't exciting and lacks enough substance to anchor the spectacle, despite Sandra Bullock's best efforts. My first viewing, I had a much higher opinion of this film, swept up in the hype surrounding it and blinded by its technical accomplishment. My second viewing, issues with the story (or lack of) were magnified and severely detracted from the film. Expand
AkashVijayJan 21, 2015
Visually Impressive but really that's all there is to it. Alfonso Cuaron's space opus is 90 mins of Sandra Bullock explaining the plot to herself. The film is literally devoid of ideas.
aaronbartuskaJan 12, 2015
Though the screenplay is nothing noteworthy and by the third act the repetitive story line begins to seem tedious (even at a mere 90 minutes), the visuals are an outstanding accomplishment on the technical side of film-making.
oDjentoJan 4, 2015
This film in IMAX in 3D is easily a 9, but when downgrading to dvd which most people will get now or even Bluray it has to come down to a 7. The story is very simple but then again it is meant to be a disaster movie. The acting is great byThis film in IMAX in 3D is easily a 9, but when downgrading to dvd which most people will get now or even Bluray it has to come down to a 7. The story is very simple but then again it is meant to be a disaster movie. The acting is great by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney and both hold the film with no other character really needed. The exposition to some characters back storiea are a little forced and dull but nothing too majorly wrong with that. The visuals are BEAUTIFUL, best part of the film easily! Additionally, Alfonso Cuaron uses his trademark long tracking shots which look awesome in this film by the way, but i still see his best work as Children of Men. Lastly, the ending and what it was meant to be symbolising was so obvious that i must admit it is kinda painful to watch, but i can see where they were going with it. Expand
JohnMasterLJan 4, 2015
Una obra visual, una excelente película de ciencia ficción, se une a la lista de las mejores pelicular de todos los tiempos. Alfonso Cuaron a hecho el mejor trabajo de su carrera, visualmente (hablando de la cámara, el chivo es un maestro yUna obra visual, una excelente película de ciencia ficción, se une a la lista de las mejores pelicular de todos los tiempos. Alfonso Cuaron a hecho el mejor trabajo de su carrera, visualmente (hablando de la cámara, el chivo es un maestro y por supuesto de los efectos) Gravedad es de las mejores películas del 2013, de las mejores películas de todos los tiempos y de las que debes de ver antes de morir. Expand
DudeUnknownJan 1, 2015
WAY overrated. For a thriller, this was actually very good. The suspense almost... made it feel like the air became more dense. But the problem was the lack of storyline. It was quite short and just delayed parts of the story with too longWAY overrated. For a thriller, this was actually very good. The suspense almost... made it feel like the air became more dense. But the problem was the lack of storyline. It was quite short and just delayed parts of the story with too long suspense. Overall, a pretty good movie. Expand
TomMillerDec 26, 2014
I really have to say this is one of the very worst movies I have ever seen. I really did not expect a mind blowing sci-fi movie but this movie was honestly so boring and so senseless.. there is no comparison. I try very hard to find oneI really have to say this is one of the very worst movies I have ever seen. I really did not expect a mind blowing sci-fi movie but this movie was honestly so boring and so senseless.. there is no comparison. I try very hard to find one positive thing about the movie but I cant. Even the effects and the sound are far from being excellent or mind blowing. This movie is just a very big fail and waste of time. Rating this movie with more than 0 proves bad taste. I dont see any reason to give more than a 0 rating to this movie, maybe somebody can enlighten me Expand
JohnKristoferDec 22, 2014
Gravity teaches kids not to be astronauts,Ahhaha Joke.Gravity Is just stunning especially 3D !The Movie is terrifying in some ways is because you feel you're they're struggling to survive!!
Potarto72Dec 21, 2014
I apologize, but this movie seems to be made for stupid people.
I apologize, but this movie seems to be made for stupid people.
The only praise anybody ever gives this film is how "visually stunning" it is. It seems as if plenty of intelligent people have mentally devolved after seeing Gravity, because apparently substance no longer matters, and visuals are enough to make a good movie.
The characters in Gravity don't need to be there. I might as well have watched a movie about pieces of metal floating in space. Oh wait, they have that! It's called "Space Junk"! You know, I heard that was the original working title for this movie, too!
The story sucks, to put it plainly. Sandra Bullock's story is completely generic and uninteresting, and pretty much occupies the entire film after the rather intense opening. Let me be clear, I don't want to dispute that the movie is breathtaking on a technical level, but without any interesting motives or characters, and absolutely zero valuable ideas or concepts expressed, who cares? Apparently everyone. Go watch Transformers, you mouth breathers.
Graphics don't make the game good, pretty colors don't make the painting good, and being catchy doesn't make a song good. Visuals don't make a movie good. Sometimes, they make it awful. Gravity is awful.
andrebarrosoDec 19, 2014
This is what I was thirsty to watch on the big screen. James Cameron was right when he said that "Gravity" is the best space-thematic movie ever.
Director Alfonso Cuarón brings us a striking story, with Sandra Bullock as the main character.
This might be the next "Avatar", in terms of production, cinematography, production design, visual effects, sound effects and score. Everything in this movie is revolutionary. Trully, Cuarón might just have revolutionized the way of shooting a movie with huge amount of CGI. That guy deserves my respect.
diogomendesDec 9, 2014
Visually stunning and impeccably filmed, "Gravity" is an entertainingly thoughtful science fiction thriller that can be either masterfully directed and smartly plotted.
maxpohanDec 3, 2014
Sorry, I dont like this movie and disappointing. It doesnt work for me and my wife. Sandra act was copying her personal style and characteristic in whatever movie she is in. An astronaut or whatever you call it, is not a commoner like womanSorry, I dont like this movie and disappointing. It doesnt work for me and my wife. Sandra act was copying her personal style and characteristic in whatever movie she is in. An astronaut or whatever you call it, is not a commoner like woman driver in "Speed". She is so fragile, and not as an astronaut we imagine she should be. I hate her communication with Anqanna (?) and the song, and the dog voice, the baby's voice. It is irritatting my human sense. I hate the role of Clooney and his long boring words. Expand
debbbi-arDec 1, 2014
What a boring and predictable movie! Don't waste your time! The only good thing about this movie is the cinematography and the special effects... Way overrated!
setterDec 1, 2014
Resisted watching the flick for a while, because personally biased against both main actors. As expected, both the script and acting were really poor - any high school drama club would have done much better job.
And what a load of clichés
And what a load of clichés and cheap thrill unloaded to top it off!

The reason why I did watch and why I wanted to write the review is the undue praise by science community. This flick is NOT sound scientifically at all. There are multiple mistakes and flaws in logic. To list a few:
- The GPS satellites could not be taken down by the same event (they are at a lot higher altitude).
- The sound does not conduct in vacuum, which they stated, but for some reason could not resist putting in the movie.
- There is a huge misunderstanding of momentum of motion. And after boosters are activated in the Russian pod. Both the pod and Bullock travel at the same speed - there is no way for her to slow down with a little canister of fire extinguisher (to say nothing about the fact that activating booster would not be controllable and landing at Chinese station is virtually impossible).
- The astronauts do not wizz by around the station and would not be able to float from station to station.
- In general, there are a lot of childish scenes about the space stations: they can't chat via the microphone after station is destroyed (they are not on cell phones in there). Stoned Sandra would not be able to hack into Russian capsule computer to fool it... or activate Chinese satellite for that matter.

I will give a couple stars for cinematography and for an attempt to stay true to science, but instead of praising this meek stab at sci-fi, people who can think should discard it as a worthless Hollywood fluff.
SoulinNov 30, 2014
Visually, this movie is truly amazing. However, everything else is mediocre at the best (ok, Sandra is still a beautiful woman and quite good actress).

The worst problem however is that we (me and my wife) were bored while watching this movie - in a scifi drama like this, it shouldn't happen.
jotaesecheNov 27, 2014
Few ever films have showed that little and have expressed that much in that short amount of time. This is far beyond stars and universe... in its simplicity we can find grandeur, excellency. This movie is transcendental.
johnnymnecNov 24, 2014
Gravity proves that science fiction can still be very interesting without warp speed, teleporters or spacecrafts fighting. Based on the impossibility of life in space, movie presents modern day space technology with excellent visuals, goodGravity proves that science fiction can still be very interesting without warp speed, teleporters or spacecrafts fighting. Based on the impossibility of life in space, movie presents modern day space technology with excellent visuals, good acting and somewhat gripping story. Quiet soundtrack also adds to the great atmosphere. Although not a classic, it is easily a must watch. Expand
EnnaNov 23, 2014
HOLY CRAP. This is one of the most tense, awe-filled experiences I've ever had! Cuaron is a MASTER and he knows how to sketch characters you quickly attach yourself to, a story that is both filled with tenderness and terror, and cinematicHOLY CRAP. This is one of the most tense, awe-filled experiences I've ever had! Cuaron is a MASTER and he knows how to sketch characters you quickly attach yourself to, a story that is both filled with tenderness and terror, and cinematic techniques that so very brilliantly disorient the viewer, it feels as if you're wheeling through space. AMAZING. Expand
CherryxldNov 23, 2014
Gravity es una película que aunque contiene unos muy buenos efectos visuales a lo largo de la historia que abarca el film, contiene algunos fallos (no me refiero a lo técnico).

Este largometraje empieza bien, y continúa así hasta los

Este largometraje empieza bien, y continúa así hasta los primeros 15 minutos, luego de eso ya la película empieza a buscar soluciones para encajar bien las piezas del final, pero, esas soluciones hacen que la película se torne aburrida, simplona y fastidiosa hasta que llegan los últimos 15 minutos.

Así que, en general, Gravity es una película fastidiosa en donde si no has visto la película, solo basta con ver los primeros 15 minutos y los últimos 15 para entenderla bien.
elvisheimerNov 18, 2014
Wow. This movie is quite simply unbearable to watch. While the visuals are compelling and groundbreaking, the script is so horribly mundane, cliche, and unbelievable that the film comes off as unintentionally comic material. George ClooneyWow. This movie is quite simply unbearable to watch. While the visuals are compelling and groundbreaking, the script is so horribly mundane, cliche, and unbelievable that the film comes off as unintentionally comic material. George Clooney does the best with what he is given; however, his character's arc is so brief it leaves you wanting more than just Sandra Bullock in a tight tank top. Furthermore, not only is the entire film's premise a stretch of basic space science, the ending is extremely unrewarding and empty. Please, save yourself some brain cells and some time, and choose something else to watch. Expand
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"Gravity" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"Gravity" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: The word "stunning" is usually over-used when describing visuals, but it fits here. The visuals in this film were absolutely stunning. Despite the buzz, I wasn't really looking forward to this movie, but it was better than I thought it would be. Sandra Bullock does a decent job and Clooney was overlooked for Best Supporting Actor awards.

The Bad: It is still about a solitary woman floating through space and that is only so interesting. The Murphy's Law got a little old too as everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. That got a little ridiculous. Bullock was decent, but I don't understand all the Best Actress buzz. She didn't do anything phenomenal. Lastly, without trying to spoil the outcome, the end was sort of anti-climactic and I never really felt like the antagonist was in any real danger ... which is odd since she's floating in space with everything going to Hell around her.
vikesh2206Nov 10, 2014
With strong acting coupled up with an eerie soundtrack, top-notch directing, a focused narrative and great visuals, it is entertaining, tense and astonishing at the same time. Gravity's huge ambition pays off as a modern classic.
DannyGNov 8, 2014
Tame and Lame! You Have Got To Be Kidding Me! Where's the Rest of the Story? When Gravity ended my friend and I looked at each other and said simultaneously: "That's It?" We both thought the movie was far from over! It's the first time inTame and Lame! You Have Got To Be Kidding Me! Where's the Rest of the Story? When Gravity ended my friend and I looked at each other and said simultaneously: "That's It?" We both thought the movie was far from over! It's the first time in years I had to literally apologize for picking such a lousy movie for a friend to see!

Sandra Bullock's acting was terrible and unconvincing. And, she looked like she was constipated most of the time. George Clooney came across just too perfect for such a life and death situation. He was too much like a saint in outer space!

I also felt mightily deceived by both the film's movie trailer and by the official news media critics that fawned all over this pitiful movie! Gravity is so tame and lame you could take a child to see it without a second thought! It certainly won't offend a soul on planet earth!

But worst of all, was the ending! After you a watch a film you want to feel like there was a beginning, middle and end. In Gravity your jaw is left hanging because there's was no satisfying ending. My friend and I both felt like we were in the the middle of the story when the film ended! BORING!
drlowdonNov 3, 2014
After being struck by a debris field astronauts Stone (Bullock) and Kowalski (Clooney) find themselves adrift in space and, with no chance of rescue, they have to somehow find a way back to Earth.

First and foremost Gravity is an

First and foremost Gravity is an incredible technical achievement setting a new benchmark for visuals in cinema. From start to finish it is full of staggering shots and special effects making it impossible to take your eyes from the screen. The script, despite strong performances from Clooney and Bullock, can't quite match the visuals and occasionally becomes a bit too 'Hollywood' but that is only a minor criticism of what is a must see movie.
SonnyhudsOct 31, 2014
The film that won 7 oscars and has critical acclaim, is it really one of the best movies ever. The 2013 motion picture directed by Alfonso Cuarón and written by the director and his son Jonás cuaròn with music by upcoming British composerThe film that won 7 oscars and has critical acclaim, is it really one of the best movies ever. The 2013 motion picture directed by Alfonso Cuarón and written by the director and his son Jonás cuaròn with music by upcoming British composer Steven Price and cinematography by Emmanuel Lubezki. The story centres around two main characters which are Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt kowalski (George Clooney) while they are in space putting in the new hobble scope which was designed by Ryan Stone. While on their mission a Russian satellite breaks down and the debris hits their craft and form then it is a survival journey where Ryan Stone Matt Kowalski must try and survive in space. This is one of the bet motion pictures in history and especially if you watched it in IMAX 3D because the 3D was superb and the visual effects were amazing and that's why it won the Oscar for best visual effects. They social score is out of this world and gives you a sense isolation. The cinematography was the best I have ever seen because the first 12 minutes of this film is just one long take which is breath taking. The acting all round is good and the backstory to each character is good. George Clooneys whitty humour and Sandra Bullocks insecurity was brilliant. The film is an experience of a life time. This film definitely gets a 10/10 for me. Expand
Dusty_HayesOct 6, 2014
Gravity is a surprisingly good science fiction, and is very tense and realistic thriller. Sandra Bullock's top notch performance as the protagonist Dr Ryan Stone and George Clooney's solid supporting performance as Lieutenant Matt Kowalski,Gravity is a surprisingly good science fiction, and is very tense and realistic thriller. Sandra Bullock's top notch performance as the protagonist Dr Ryan Stone and George Clooney's solid supporting performance as Lieutenant Matt Kowalski, sucks you in to this technical achievement,for the ride, feeling both despair and hope with Dr Stone all the way through as she tries to save her self from certain death. Expand
shaolinPWNstyleOct 1, 2014
The graphics were amazing, and that's about it. You should save yourself some time and go to NASA's website to view pictures of the Earth and space instead.

This movie having a 96 average is appalling. In fact, it ruins the credibility of every movie critic that gave it a positive score. The plot was as pointless and uninteresting as having a staring contest with a cat. Speaking of cats, I'm sure some fat cats in Hollywood paid off the reviewers for this garbage.

If you want to watch a more enjoyable Sci-fi movie where people go somewhere and come back, check out RocketMan. At least it's funny.
brehio11Sep 22, 2014
This is literally the WORST movie I have ever been made to watch in my life. In my opinion it is just a really really bad version of Apollo 13. It takes her 10 freaking minutes to grab a wrench!.....3 times!!!!!! You already know exactly whatThis is literally the WORST movie I have ever been made to watch in my life. In my opinion it is just a really really bad version of Apollo 13. It takes her 10 freaking minutes to grab a wrench!.....3 times!!!!!! You already know exactly what s going to happen before it happens. Extremely predictable. Then, the worst part, after suffering though 3 hours of terrible-ness, it doesnt even give a legitimate ending! She would have died when she hit Earth and then all of a sudden she walks onto a tropical island Expand
ArchonMagazineSep 20, 2014
Medical engineer Ryan Stone works feverishly to repair her shuttle hundreds of miles from the Earth’s atmosphere after a catastrophic collision with orbiting debris damages her likelihood of reentry and survival in Gravity.

Watching this

Watching this movie you want to use terms like cool and awesome because, technically speaking, this movie is magnificent and awe-inspiring to watch. The purely computer generated images of the vast abyss of space, a cusp of Earth’s surface and a gleaming sun astronomically farther away in the background is spectacularly beautiful. With limited knowledge of space and aeronautics, this is about as real as I can imagine, though I know experts disagree – I’m looking at you Neil deGrasse Tyson. Beyond the aesthetically pleasing set design, I find little else in this picture remarkable.

While beautiful, its artistry in scenery makes the film detached and voyeuristic. Gravity starts almost immediately with the collision and has very minimal character development initially. These factors led me to be unable to suspend disbelief and truly immerse myself in the story nor become invested in the main character’s survival. Further, the plot is tired and worn out. Several movies of a similar plot precede Gravity - which is basically a disaster survival story in space (most notably 2001: A Space Odyssey and Apollo 13, among others).

I can’t help but imagine the executives at Warner Bros. and how this film came to be:

We need a hit film, a huge money maker, but something new, fresh!

CGI, its all about that CGI, that’s what sells movies…we’ve just got to take it to the next level!

Yeah, but we’ve done just about everything on earth…

That’s the problem! On Earth…space! Brilliant, and we will make it in Imax, get even more money for the tickets.

Yeah, but we have to get actors that get a huge draw in the box office.

Who is hot right now?

Robert Downey Jr.? Angelina Jolie?

Nah, Jolie has something scheduled already. Downey probably won’t want to do it, he’s too improvisational, won’t be his style.

We could get Clooney? Everybody loves George.

But what about the girl? Who won best actress last year? Jennifer Lawrence? Too young. Meryl Streep? Too old. Natalie Portman? Not likeable enough. How ’bout Sandra Bullock? Sandy will probably do it.

But who is going to take the risk of making this movie? It could tank. Well, he will have to be a relative unknown, but made a hit before, international, so hungry to break into mainstream Hollywood. Alfonso Cuarón? I think he wanted to be an astronaut when he grew up. Isn’t he shopping a script set in space?

And the rest is history…

In all seriousness, the movie never connected with me, while visually brilliant, it is lacking in all other regards. If you are into special effects and the sheer technical breadth of the undertaking of that crew, whom I commend, then I suggest this movie.

More reviews of recent releases can be found at our website.
robohannonSep 10, 2014
We watched “Gravity” last night – 90 minutes of drek. Beyond the special effects, which weren’t that special, the movie was clichéd and flawed from beginning to end. It is a testament to how bad Hollowwood (spelling error intentional) hasWe watched “Gravity” last night – 90 minutes of drek. Beyond the special effects, which weren’t that special, the movie was clichéd and flawed from beginning to end. It is a testament to how bad Hollowwood (spelling error intentional) has become at making movies that have some meaning and relevance.
First cliché, right of the 50s, was NASA’s choice of sending a neurotic female scientist into space. If NASA was hoping that this would help revive interest in supporting space travel, I think they should reexamine their public relations procedures. There was nothing likeable about Sandra Bullock’s character, even after the movie “treated” us to a gratuitous strip tease as she slowly sunk into a near catatonic state (either in sympathy with the audience, or because she was struck with the realization of what she would do to make her career relevant again.)
And then we have George Clooney as a retiring astronaut on his last mission. To call this a cliché would be cliché. To borrow from South Park, it was hard to see him, even in space; through the dense cloud of smug he seems to bring to every role. His character has seen it all, done it all, knows it all, knows how attractive he is, has something to say about everything- the man is not acting in this role, the man is just having an average George Clooney day.
Even if you were able to accept that the Russians would be somehow stupid enough to send a missile to destroy a satellite, knocking out all communication satellites (even their own) and destroying the space station they invested billions of rubles in, how can you accept that every other manned vehicle in orbit was somehow able to warn their crews in time and get them down safely except for the most maneuverable one of all – the space shuttle? Again, not a great promotional piece for NASA is the Russians and Chinese could send out the “ABANDON SHIP! “signal before NASA’s vaunted tracking stations should.
It only gets worse as Clooney drags Bullock to the wreck of their shuttle, so we can see lovely floating shots of dead people we never meet (it might have been a nice idea to do a few establishing shots in the shuttle), but who I felt more sympathy toward than the two nut cases floating in space.
Then Clooney drags her off to the space stations. On the way Bullock’s neurotic character manages to waste all her oxygen – even Clooney’s smug can’t stop that from happening. When they get to the station she manages to get herself in a tangle, but not enough of a tangle to save Clooney, who “gallantly” (read foolishly) unclips himself.
A pity they didn’t learn from being bounced around, and watching things bounce around, and from the fact that in space all you need is a sight force to move things, that a light tug on their tether would have sent Clooney right into her arms.
The rest of the movie is predictable. She overcomes the odds, displays her great ability to brood, and makes it to the Chinese escape pod (are you paying attention NASA?). She despairs as there is no fuel to start the engine, and decides to die. The Ghost-of-Clooneys Past comes to visit her, and gives her the solution.
We are treated to a reentry screen that has all the technical flair of the final scene in “This Island Earth” where the flying saucer comes to a flaming end, without the sympathy for the character that that movie engenders. Bullock’s character survives the watery landing, but is bound and determined to do one more stupid thing, and does it by blowing the side escape hatch off the side of the pod rather than using the one she used to enter the pod on top.
The results are predictable. The pod sinks. She, weighed down by her suit, has to take it off (there sound track should have at this point should have had strip tease music.) She struggles to shore. The movie at this point should have ended there, but we are “treated” to another soft-core moment of Bullock writhing in the mud.
She finally manages to struggle to her feet, and toddles off down the beach toward… the sunset, or something, well we don’t know. But the ending did reflect perfectly how I felt about the movie – it just toddled along toward…well, we don’t know. Between the cloud of Clooney smug, the bollocks of Sandra’s performance, and the 1950s B-movie feel dressed up in high tech effects, this movie, like gravity, sucks. Hollowwood should be ashamed of how many awards this stinker won.
TheDarkElfSep 7, 2014
Not only is this movie incredibly boring, it is incredibly inaccurate. I can't believe I actually watched the whole thing. The movie is called gravity, yet the way everything works in relation to gravity or a lack thereof is just plain wrong.Not only is this movie incredibly boring, it is incredibly inaccurate. I can't believe I actually watched the whole thing. The movie is called gravity, yet the way everything works in relation to gravity or a lack thereof is just plain wrong. How did Sandra Bullock's character become an astronaut? She seems very under-qualified. Also, none of the characters are explored enough to become likable. I know it has great ratings and reviews everywhere, but you don't need to waste your time. Expand
DenisManuSep 5, 2014
Gravity is a mind blowing looking movie about two astronauts trying to get back to earth after an unfortunate incident.With outstanding visuals and great performances, Alfonso Cuarón succeeds in entertaining you with this fantasticGravity is a mind blowing looking movie about two astronauts trying to get back to earth after an unfortunate incident.With outstanding visuals and great performances, Alfonso Cuarón succeeds in entertaining you with this fantastic claustrophobic thriller. Expand
Jeroen15Sep 3, 2014
gravity is a pioneer in the technical film industry .with breathtaking visuals.an amazing performance from sandra bulluck and amazing 3D that makes you feel like your really in space. it deserved all 7 oscer's it won and is one of thegravity is a pioneer in the technical film industry .with breathtaking visuals.an amazing performance from sandra bulluck and amazing 3D that makes you feel like your really in space. it deserved all 7 oscer's it won and is one of the greatest movies of all time. Expand
horcrux2007Sep 2, 2014
"Gravity" is one of the most mind-blowing and breathtaking films I have ever seen. The cinematography is some of the best, if not, THE best cinematography in a movie, and the acting from Sandra Bullock and George Clooney is great as always."Gravity" is one of the most mind-blowing and breathtaking films I have ever seen. The cinematography is some of the best, if not, THE best cinematography in a movie, and the acting from Sandra Bullock and George Clooney is great as always. The movie is rather short, a measily 91 minutes, but that's all it needs to be a very intense experience. Expand
beingryanjudeSep 1, 2014
One of the most breathtaking films I have ever seen in my entire life. The Academy should revoke Sandra's Oscar for The Blind Side and give her the statue for Gravity. She gives her greatest performance and one of the best performances thisOne of the most breathtaking films I have ever seen in my entire life. The Academy should revoke Sandra's Oscar for The Blind Side and give her the statue for Gravity. She gives her greatest performance and one of the best performances this year. The technology at hand is spectacular on all fronts--no doubt an example of filmmaking in the years to come. Expand
Tessara_VejganAug 23, 2014
It was an ok movie, very average. Some parts were boring and some were great. The 3d and visual effects were great. Both main actors are veterans so no complaints there.
KristianBKAug 13, 2014
Not the best story and acting, but futuristic, innovative and perfect directing of Cuaron make this movie worth watching. There are a lot of modern movies that use the safe way of film making, imitating classics and not trying something new.Not the best story and acting, but futuristic, innovative and perfect directing of Cuaron make this movie worth watching. There are a lot of modern movies that use the safe way of film making, imitating classics and not trying something new. But this movie is not one of them. It's a modern landmark in film making, it tried and succeeded. Expand
jools123Aug 4, 2014
I like this movie, not just because of the plot twists and turns, but also because it delivers a fine Sandra Bullok performance. It lacked character backgrounds though.
oblique15Jul 28, 2014
Gravity will have you reaching for anything you can grab, so you don`t float into space. I went in thinking this movie would be boring, but the found a way to keep it interesting until the very end. Made me feel like I was there,and wishingGravity will have you reaching for anything you can grab, so you don`t float into space. I went in thinking this movie would be boring, but the found a way to keep it interesting until the very end. Made me feel like I was there,and wishing to be back on Earth.It also has a good message about life in the middle of the chaos. Expand
kasperlovborgJul 26, 2014
One HELL of an adventure! I was positively enthralled by every electrifying second of it. My immersion in the intense action scenes made my palms start sweating profusely. Lubezki once again proves that he's the cherry on top of the cream ofOne HELL of an adventure! I was positively enthralled by every electrifying second of it. My immersion in the intense action scenes made my palms start sweating profusely. Lubezki once again proves that he's the cherry on top of the cream of the crop of cinematographers. I blinked rarely and only reluctantly during his long takes. A masterpiece of staging and technical innovation, 'Gravity' is nothing short of sublime. And, luckily, *plot spoiler* Sandra Bullock only imitates a dog in one scene. Expand
ThomasSmithsonJul 21, 2014
Hollywood's two most benign actors (Clooney, Bullock) carry no weight and from the outset I so wished the main characters would be sucked into the vacuum of space and obliterated by the black hole that so richly represents their talent.Hollywood's two most benign actors (Clooney, Bullock) carry no weight and from the outset I so wished the main characters would be sucked into the vacuum of space and obliterated by the black hole that so richly represents their talent.

The infinite depths of space as a back drop to the limited range of the actors and the simpleton script makes for great irony ....Television's 'Lost In Space' opening credit sequence had more to say.
clayscottbrownJul 21, 2014
Hollywood Back on The Bandwagon?

Hollywood Back on The Bandwagon?

No alien in this one, this time we’re getting a somewhat Realistic look at things going wrong for space fearing Astronauts. I was a bit surprised to see Hollywood getting out to space, in this manner. Hollywood sort of gave up on the Science Fiction, long time ago, as Special Effects got way too costly. Have you seen anything new in SFX lately, chances are no. Hollywood’s love affair with Space is a cost conscious one.
Wouldn’t want to take a slash out of those Worldwide Box Office Figs, now would we!

This movie is alright, but the banter is not very professional, this feels like some famous people popping up all of a sudden and wondering if they can handle a movie in space. Two Fabs are on hand, Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, the look of the film is good, and the ending fine, but I was surprised that Gravity had suddenly ended, then I looked and saw that it was only one half hour.

Concise, was the play this time.

The Science Fiction is in the Books, that’s the Only place to find it.

--------------

First Published at STUFF (April 16, 2014) STUFF #310: Gravity
elsylorenaJul 19, 2014
Aunque posee efectos visuales y sonoros fantásticos, es una película fastidiosa, solo llaman la atención los primeros 15 y los últimos 15 minutos, el resto es solo relleno, pero aun así hay una buena interpretación gracias a Bullock y unaAunque posee efectos visuales y sonoros fantásticos, es una película fastidiosa, solo llaman la atención los primeros 15 y los últimos 15 minutos, el resto es solo relleno, pero aun así hay una buena interpretación gracias a Bullock y una buena dirección de Cuarón. Expand
mrniceJul 15, 2014
Of course it's well made, but one of the great triumphs of Gravity is that it is a non-violent, scientific and enlightening action drama. I challenge you to find an equally exciting, bombastic movie with as much love for humanity's abilities.
Timbo4567Jul 15, 2014
As a space travel enthusiast I found this movie to not be correct at all. The likelyhood of the events happening in the movie is completely impossible. The odds of the space station that broke apart being just a few miles away from theAs a space travel enthusiast I found this movie to not be correct at all. The likelyhood of the events happening in the movie is completely impossible. The odds of the space station that broke apart being just a few miles away from the I.S.S is completely improbable. Sandra Bullock also used up almost all of her oxygen in a minuted and was left with just 3% of it left and you expect me to believe that she survived for another hour in space before she got to the International Space Station on just that. I think not. The script writers should have payed more attention to the facts before writing these impossible ways Sandra could have survived. Expand