5.6

1. Jun 19, 2011
    I came into the movie expecting it to be bad but reasonable summer movie entertainment. Being an avid metacritic reader, I was fully aware of score of 40 and the bashing the critics gave this movie. What drove me to what the movie was the trailer (which seemed reasonable) and the fact that the user score was 6.7, suggesting that this movie is full of mindless but fun action.

And how I was
    wrong. Really Really wrong.

This movie lacks action. For a movie about a lantern who's powers were only limited by ones imagination; a fittingly ironic plot considering the lack of imagination in the writing, storytelling, acting and CGI found in this movie. I counted only 3 action scenes of 30 secs each in this whole movie, all of them nicely summarized in the trailer. On might thing me shallow and argue that a focus on character development could be interesting, like in Ironman. This would be possible if not for the terrible writing AND acting in the story. None of the characters were believable if you are over the age of 6. I guess knowledge of the characters prior to the movie might help fill in the backstory which was never really explored in the movie. It seems mos of the people who enjoyed the movie were fans that grew up with GL. Unfortunately for me I do not fit this category . Honestly, 10 minutes into the movie I was already bored. The actors were all cliches and none of them were even convincing. The same plot lines were repeated around 30 times and again and again. I honestly felt like walking out of the cinema because it was that bad. Overall, stay far far away from Green Garbage and watch Xmen again if you have to.

I feel bad for contributing to the revenue of this movie. For those who enjoyed this comic, watch it and feel free to disregard what I say.
  2. Jun 17, 2011
    The movie started off well enough and seemed to introduce some interesting concepts but the movie felt rushed. It really felt like whole scenes were missing. It was almost like they edited two movies into one and chopped it down, the end result is like someone trying to smash puzzle pieces that don't fit together. Some parts didn't make sense but it was...enjoyable, I guess? I didn't leave fully disappointed, just slightly disappointed but I wasn't expecting very much to begin with. Stiff acting at times and hammy performances at others, they special effects were actually way better than I expected. I liked the ring on ring action sequences the best but the ending monster battle just sucked. Expand
  3. Jun 17, 2011
    What can I say, I'm a sucker for comic book movies. If you're going into this expecting "one of the most brilliant films of our time", you might want to just go get your money back, but if you're looking for an eye-popping, action-packed, good time, then you picked the right movie. You may not enjoy this film as much as I did, unless you're like me and grew up on the Green Lantern comics and cartoons, but I do think you will enjoy Martin Campbell's marvelous take on the world of the Lanterns, and the Lanterns themselves. Expand
  4. Jun 17, 2011
    Don't believe the haters. If you like superhero movies, you will like Green Lantern. If you don't like superhero movies, then you won't like Green Latern. It's a good movie....maybe not GREAT....but a good movie.
  5. Jun 18, 2011
    Everyone sounds so stupid on this page. "OMG Why would anyone like this movie? They should've seen *insert less successful movie here* instead!" Its summer, its a comic book superhero movie, it had a bazillion dollar budget just for advertising... you're right that pretty much adds up to "lame movie" however, they aren't even attempting to make genre changing, Oscar winning gold, they are trying to sell some tickets to a movie that costs a **** to produce. Its fun, its entertaining, and the changes made from the comic book were necessary for time constraints. If you have read the Green Lantern run that has been written by Geoff Johns the past few years this movie would satisfy your craving to see these epic space battles in live-action rather than on the page or in a usually bland reinterpretation on animated DVD. This movie is easily one of the most entertaining superhero movies made and it sticks to the spirit of the book more than most superheroes even try to pretend they do. Loved it. Expand
  6. Jun 19, 2011
    Don't believe the critics. This film is a lot of fun! Its got great action fun locations and a list of great characters as long as my arm. Going to a comic book film should be a fun experience at all times, it should be light and fun. This is that movie! Its only rival would be X-Men: First Class which is another great comic movie. Green Lantern starts off with some great adventure and will keep you entertained until the end. The special effects are a lot of fun to look at, and the 3D conversion looks fantastic. Its a must see for comic fans and fans of fun summer movies, because when it comes to summer movies this is head and shoulders above the rest! Expand
  7. Sep 10, 2011
    Equipped with poor CGI, decent performance from Ryan Reynolds, and a story that cannot hold itself in one whole piece, "Green Lantern" acknowledges me of DC's prominent failure to move its loved superhero into the big screen.
  8. Jun 26, 2011
    Half way thru the movie I was completely bored and didn't really care much whats gonna happen next, besides that main characters were presenting zero chemistry, only reason that made me stay all the way till the end was group of friends.
  9. Jun 17, 2011
    A very good movie for a first run at this particular hero! R.R was the right choice. A good balance of action both in the suit and out. I look forward to number two!
  10. Jun 18, 2011
    Thoroughly enjoyable movie and shouldn't that be what movies are! Great action scenes, not enough main bad guy for my liking.... and not enough Sinistro either! Roll on Green Lantern 2...
  11. Jun 17, 2011
    Don't expect this to be a movie that actually moves you or makes you think, like fellow DC comic book blockbuster The Dark Knight. Instead, bring a bag to barf in when the words fear and/or willpower are mentioned three hundred times in a blurred montage of vague green colors, poorly written dialogue, and Ryan Reynolds' ass. Go with friends for a cheap laugh.
  12. Jun 18, 2011
    Yeah! DC rules! Or so I said at the end of the movie, which I thoroughly enjoyed. What a welcome respite from the loathsomely puerile likes of "Thor" and "X-Men: First Class". Was it high art? Hell no. Was it great fun. Hell yes. I might even see it again, and I don't often do that.
  13. Jun 18, 2011
    Its good to see dc going in the same direction as marvel, this movie is what its supposed to be fun..a good popcorn flick worth seeing and worth buying when it comes out..
  14. Jun 18, 2011
    This movie is a horrid, wretched, and miserable experience. The movie is full of superhero movie cliches, it contains a bland writing, Ryan Renolds (an overall decent actor) looked totally oblivious to what was going on in this movie, the supporting cast, with the exception of Sinestro, is basically nonessential to everything going on, the special effects range from average to outdated, and the production as a whole is sloppy. The movie acts as if it doesn't care so why should we? Expand
  15. Jun 17, 2011
    Going into this movie with an extensive knowledge of Green Lantern comics history and characters, and having followed previews and reviews of the film, I had been quite concerned. Initial trailers and previews had looked uniformly uninspiring at best. Also, the choices of Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively for the film were areas of some concern to many fans of the original comic source material, who doubted whether either performer would be capable of projecting the level of depth and gravity that appeals to modern comic fans familiar with the revised and modernized source material largely created by the film's Co-Producer, Geoff Johns. Finally seeing the film in 3D at my local theater, I was pleased to see that many of my concerns were either unfounded or overwrought. Reynolds and Lively both delivered adequate performances, though at times both suffered from a bad case of "I'm reading my script now, and it says to say this line with emotion!"-itis. The film's computer generated graphics were largely competent, with a few stop-motion style artifacts in some scenes that were likely exaggerated by the 3D process. As fans had actually suspected from early in the process, Mark Strong's performance as Corps member Sinestro was a particularly bright spot in a film that needed them. On the other end of the spectrum, Peter Saarsgard does his best to channel John Malkovich, turning in a performance just so over-the-top as to fit in right at home in a movie based on comic books. Unfortunately, it's difficult to tell whether the problem with Saarsgard's Hector Hammond is with his portrayal, or the writing his character endures. Angela Bassett turns in an excellent performance as Amanda Waller, who seems to be given a far smaller role than the history and depth of her character's comic incarnation but almost seems to be there in order to offer a way to tie in further characters and background with other possible sequels or connected films.

Fans of the comics will have a whole host of characters and story elements to find in the backdrop and scenery, particularly on the Guardian planet Oa. Newcomers to the Green Lantern mythos might feel somewhat overwhelmed at those moments, but fortunately the filmmakers seem to sense that as a possible problem and move the story, and action, forward without much delay. Fundamentally, Green Lantern provides through pacing and a solid if largely genre traditional script, what could have been derailed by a few small but easily spotted flaws of the variety critics seem to love to hate. For a comic movie to have a script with so few plotholes is quite praiseworthy, but it does fall victim to a problem more often seen in sequels where one villain would likely suffice but two are offered instead.

In all, Green Lantern presents itself as a fun, well-paced story with a few flaws in the production that either result from a relatively short production schedule or moments where it appears scenes may have been cut to reduce the running time. The pacing and action sequences make it a good popcorn flick, and one that will probably spawn an entertaining Blu-Ray release with added scenes and special features.
  16. Jun 30, 2011
    I thought the movie was very good. The pacing as great as it seemed like there was never a dull moment. There was excellent balance between action scenes and story development, humor and seriousness, as well as internal and external conflicts. I think it's a shame the movie seems to be getting the low scores it's getting. I thought this was not only a good super hero movie, but a pretty good science fiction movie as well. It is definitely worth seeing for yourself. Expand
  17. Jun 17, 2011
    Seeing the boyish image of Ryan as Hal Jordan was the major influence not to see the light of the lantern. However, even though Ryan brings to life Kyle Rayner, in my opinion, Green means a must go in my book! I'm more into the way a movie conveys a message. Especially in a comic book movie, we want to know how to be the hero of the day. Have some courage and check this movie out!
  18. Jun 18, 2011
    As I've said many times before, it's all about expectations. I didn't expect a ton from the movie, especially after many of the critics panned it, so I was pleasantly surprised by it. No, it's not high art - it's a comic book movie. But I felt more emotionally engaged in than I did with Thor and many other films of this genre. Reynolds is solid, and the relationship between him and his scientist "nemesis" is much more tangible and human than many comic book conflicts. There are sympathetic feelings going both ways before things get perverted. What's more, while it's a little cheesy, the will vs. fear conflict is very Romantic. The physical manifestation of the human feelings is something that Nathaniel Hawthorne likely would have found interesting. I enjoyed it. Blake Lively wasn't as bad as many in my theater would argue, but there wasn't enough chemistry between her and Reynolds. Yes, they are exes and mere colleagues now; However, there is more heat between cop partners on TV procedurals than there is here. So for me, it's better than Thor, Spider-man, the new Superman, and the Hulks, but not as good as either new Batman film - though that's a high bar. Expand
  19. Jun 19, 2011
    I really don't get all the negativity. This was a fun movie that introduced me to the Green Lantern universe. Did I have complaints? Yes. First of all, the actress playing Carol was horrible. Second, while not completely terrible, the pacing definitely needed some work. But these complaints are only minor compared to the fun I had watching this movie.
  20. Jun 27, 2011
    I liked this movie for what it was, a superhero movie. It won't win academy awards but it was fun to watch. Just make sure it's what your looking for before you see it.
  21. Jun 20, 2011
    Not the greatest hero flick I've ever seen, but it's enjoyable. I thought Ryan Reynolds did a good job as Hal, and Peter Sarsgard's perfomance as Hector Hammond was great. I also couldn't get over the scenes on the beautiful planet Oa. Hopefully the sequel (yes, there will be a sequel; if you sit through the credits for a little while, you'll learn this) will be a little better.
  22. Aug 12, 2012
    Disappointing. While the cast does a generally good job with what they are given, and the visual effects are pretty good, the dialogue is poorly written, the pacing sometimes suffers, and the movie tries to do too much in too short of time.
  23. Jun 19, 2011
    Excellent movie... and 3D made it all the better. It was the best 3D effects I've ever seen. I really hope there will be a sequel. The end of the movie (after the credits) left room for one.
  24. Jun 17, 2011
    Green Lantern is simply disappointing.
    Just about a month ago, there was the amazing mythological story for the greek god Thor and then a couple of weeks later came the dream-team cast for X-men: First Class (a start off from the X-men trilogy). Yes, Summer is pretty much packed with superhero movies and eye-popping special effects. Then comes the Green Lantern...a very disappointing
    film.
    The special effects are...lets just say, its very green. I'm pretty sure the crew didn't have a huge problem with mistakes, mainly because they use a lot of green screen but I didn't care for any of the effects. It all looked fake and sitting on a seat for an hr and 45 mins watching different creatures wearing tight green suits, it just wasn't my thing. The only reason why I bother to watch this movie was because I remember reading about this lantern when I was about 7-8 years old and it was cool reading it on a comic book but on screen, it was an epic fail. Hal Jordon played by Ryan Reynolds: fail. You never really took him seriously and his facial expression (in my opinion) seems fit only for a comedy role. I found myself cracking up whenever he delievered all those scripted wisdom and besides he already has a role as the swordsman in X-men (Sorry, I forgot). Although the jokes fall bland especially if you've seen the beginning part of the trailer, there are some action extravaganza that covers for some hits and misses. Story/Plot: It explains itself and then it goes into details and infos and then at the end, turns out all that leads to nothing new or big.
    4 The only thing that kept my attention was the human interaction between Blake Lively's character and Mr. Ryan Reynolds. (Hey he's a good actor but as a hero, he comes off flat
    Pretty sure most won't agree but who gives a sh!t
    -nuff said.
  25. Jun 17, 2011
    I am pleasantly surprised, after reading numerous critical reviews that trashed this film, to walk out of it feeling as if it was a pretty good way to spend about 2 hours of my life. This film isn't going to win any groundbreaking Oscars, such as Best Movie, but it sure did entertain me and left me with a pretty good feeling. Sure, there were some moments that felt off but all-in-all, a solid collection of performances and some intriguing special effects kept this film from falling into the "Worst Super Hero Movie" category. It had a whimsical charm to it and there was a decent amount of tension as well. Ryan Reynolds did a fantastic job with the role he was given and Blake Lively did not disappoint as his love interest, mainly because she was not the damsel-in-distress type... well, sort of. The other world was cool but most of the fun stuff happens on Earth. Actually, this film kind of reminded me of Thor in how the different worlds are presented (theirs more colorful compared to our earthy pallet). Its villain (Peter Sarsgaard) was a little underused which is a shame because his performance was quite creepy. Angela Basset was good but criminally underused while tim Robins was snarky and suave. The script could have used some tweaking as that was perhaps the weakest link in the film but it wasn't horrid enough for me to think "this is total crap". It kept me entertained. In this regard, Green Lantern did its job. Expand
  26. Jun 17, 2011
    Bursting onto the screen with a winning combination of action and dazzling effects DC Comicsâ
  27. Jul 5, 2011
    Putting aside all of the wonderful superhero movies that came out this year. Green Lantern isn't actually that bad. I was expecting it to be worst, but I guess only Daredevil will only dare to go down that level.

I was really hoping that the movie was longer, so that we can see the development of the characters more. I believe that they really edited this baby. It feels as if the whole
    story was forced to us in 1 hour and 40 minutes. It would have been good if they focused on the childhood of Hal Jordan, before he became Green Lantern.

While it does have good visuals, it over saturates you to the point of its overwhelming to see all these images all at once.

The acting was okay, it wasn't as bad as I had imagined it, before I saw it. There really was no chemistry between Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds. The supporting cast did a good job, Mark Strong and Peter Sarsgaard (But the screaming was too much to handle :p)

Over-all I think that if you give this movie a chance you might find something in it to like. It gives you good visuals and scenery of the different planets.

This movie doesn't really stack up to this years hit superhero movies. But it's not a bad movie.
  28. Jun 17, 2011
    No one was anticipating this movie like I was - I've been a GL fan for forever. It was a complete and epic letdown. Though it looked very much like everything I had ever envisioned a GL movie to be, it never elicited any emotion from me other than embarrassment for the squandered actors delivering some of the worst dialogue imaginable. But that dialogue is extremely forgivable however, considering the genre. Flash Gordon has some of the worst dialogue in movie history, and it is head and shoulders above, in terms of forgiveness. It's the complete lack of any solid action that damns this adaptation to a place where some of the worst of comics-to-movies go to die. I thought at the very least, Martin Campbell would take me to the edge of my seat with action sequences like he did with Bond. I was lulled to genuine boredom by them. The only thing this movie managed to do was dull some of the pain away from my previously-huge disappointing memories of The Phantom Menace and G.I. Joe. Expand
  29. Jun 19, 2011
    I liked it. Adventure with a side of humour. Ryan Reynolds was great. Clancy Brown is a great voice for Parallax. Peter Sarsgaard is a great villain (Hector Hammond) . I'll probably see it again!
  30. Jun 17, 2011
    This movie is trying to make it a better DC comic book film that brings the awesome The Dark Knight and Superman, but I'll admit that this movie is more less than the other superhero films that doesn't get hype that too much. Green Lantern is okay and decent, but this movie is a lot of fun to see in summer and we can see it in 2D instead of wearing in 3D. The background is pretty awesome to look at, the action is so cool, the effects are pretty damn good (I love it when the Green Lantern is using his powers to fight with cool techniques that transform into anything), the cast is okay, and the story was a bit strange, but it works for a comic book movie. Expand
  31. Jun 17, 2011
    I honestly have no idea what the reviews are talking about, Green Lantern was amazing!

I loved every thing about it. The fights were awesome, Oa looked fantastic, Hector was creepy as hell, Ryan was wonderful, the CGI was great, the pacing was near-perfect and the jokes were spot on! Sure it wasn't 100% faithful to the comics, but what movie is? GL was very fun and exciting. And all of
    this is coming from a big GL fan.

I went in expected to be disappointed, but I came out with a huge smile on my face. I can't wait to go see it again!
  32. Jun 18, 2011
    Definitely not as horrible as critics believe. The story was poorly presented at times and you can't help but feel that Jordan's fellow Lanterns were not present enough. Sinestro was definitely not used enough although I think Mark Strong did a great job with the script he was given. There could have been more action and fight scenes felt stunted when they were on screen. However, solid acting with the given script and good effects, I would definitely recommend this to a fan of comics. Expand
  33. Jun 22, 2011
    This movie could have been so much better. There was to much talking, not enough action. I got bored. Go watch '' X-Men : First class '' instead, it's a way better superhero movie. At first, I didn't really think that Ryan Reynolds was a good choice for the role. After seeing the film, I finally thought he's okay as Hal Jordan. I expected more from '' Green Lantern ". It wasn't good has I thought it will be, but not as bad either. It's a mediocre movie that almost touch the '' failure '' zone, in other words, the red zone. I wouldn't consider seeing it again, like never. I wanted to see Hal using the ring more often. Speaking of rings, I would have also enjoyed seeing the other Green lanterns using their ring as well. All they do is point it in the sky and shooting green laser or whatever. I don't have much to say about the movie, expect the fact that it's a disappointing, boring and forgettable movie. Expand
  34. Jun 17, 2011
    I actually really enjoyed Green Lantern and I might have to put that down to that I love comic book movies or the surprise of liking it even after reading bad reviews. I had no knowledge of Green Lantern history going in so maybe it helped coming in fresh. I was really impressed by the 3D and SFX. The fact that the lanterns can create anything just by thinking about it is so kick arse cool. Hal Jordan (a surprisingly good Ryan Reynolds) is likeable and I stuck with him.

Now thats not to say that there are not bad points. Its all so predictable and the two enimies are really cheesy. To even think that this came from the same studio that gave us the truely epic Batman movies that are so in a different league. Think taking a Ferrari (Dark Knight) out for a spin on a racetrack and then a Lada (Green Lantern). The Ferrari you will always remember but hairing around in a Lada would be fun when it lasted. If you just want a good popcorn Friday night and some light hearted fun this is worth seeing.
  35. Jun 17, 2011
    This is nothing special, hell, mediocre at times. However, I left entertained enough to like it, if even a little. If only for the charm of it all, especially lead actor Ryan Reynolds, who manages, while of overall less quality, to dominate the film like Kenneth (last name here) did in Thor.
  36. Jun 19, 2011
    This movie was trash. The fact that the actors in the movie are big names they still messed it up. The movie was worse then Batman and robin or Spiderman 3. IMO. A trash movie. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY.
  37. Jul 3, 2011
    I may not be a huge Green Lantern comic book fan, but Ryan Reynolds delivered in his role as Hal Jordan. I'm not quite sure why the critics have been bashing this movie, because it's a pretty solid popcorn movie. If you're expecting Citizen Kane from Green Lantern, then you've only got yourself to blame. A solid superhero movie and pure escapism!
  38. Jun 17, 2011
    Although the cheese factor takes away from the story at times (not surprising given the lead actor) it was refreshing to see a superhero movie that is proud to be just that. Green Lantern isn't afraid of its spandex, or colorful alien backdrops. When Hollywood attempts to make larger than life icons more realistic for the average audience (such as turning the X-Men into a biker gang, Galactus into a large ominous cloud or beefing up the Batman by sporting him in armor) they only seem to succeed in producing a less believable action flick instead of what we wanted to see: a silver screen adaptation of the well-rounded comic book crime fighters we love Expand
  39. Jun 18, 2011
    First thing I need to say is this is not a thinking movie. It's a superhero flick. So if your intention is to watch a movie that'll make you feel warm and fuzzy, or make you cry, or make you ponder the nature of life, don't see this. What this movie is, is an exceptional representation of an iconic superhero, which is a rarity today. I had initial concerns about Ryan Reynolds playing Hal Jordan as he's a very quirky actor, but he pulled it off well. Carol Ferris wasn't as well played, but she was still passable. What really struck me about this movie was how it really stayed true to the origin of the green lantern and yet at the same time dumbed it down for casual audiences. As a for instance, those of you who have read the comics know that Parallax's backstory is long and complicated and one can't really understand it without understanding the war of light, but the movie makes a few minor changes and makes him an acceptable villain to someone who hasn't followed the comics. This is getting a little long-winded, but what it boils down to is Green Lantern is DC's Iron Man: A healthy amount of action, true to the origin, accessible by both long-term fans and casual viewers, and not too much cheesy crap. Expand
  40. Jun 18, 2011
    As someone who has been reading comic books since I was 12, I have to say that GL was great. After watching Superman Returns and the last three X-men movies I had almost given up hope that any superhero screenplay would be anywhere close to the source material (Superman having a son? Jean Grey killing Cyclops? blasphemy!) GL, and the Dark Knight before it, renewed hope that Hollywood can make a comic movie without completely rewriting 50 years of character development. Other than the presence of Paralax, 90% of the Hal Jordan origin story reflects what you find in GL: Secret Origin (by Geoff Johns), which keeps this from becoming just another cringe worthy attempt to cash in on the wave of superhero films since the late 90's. That being said it isn't Shakespeare, so if you're looking for a heady drama you're not going to find it here. Overall it was a great summer adventure that keeps you entertained for an hour and a half, which is just what it is supposed to do. The Pros - True to the source material
    - Ryan Reynolds plays Hal like he is supposed to be: flawed, but working to overcome his shortcomings
    - Amazing character design for the other GLs (Sinestro, Killowog, Tomar)
    - Enough (but not too much) humor to prevent it from being dark and dreary. GL isn't Batman, and isn't supposed to be.
    - Didn't feel like it was overloaded with visual fx, but they still looked awesome
    - Good dialog overall. no "are you an angel" (to quote phantom menace) lines in this to make you wonder what the writer's IQ is

The Cons - needed a bit more action, if they make a sequel they should find a villain who's main ability isn't that he's a "thinker not a doer"
    - not enough character development for the supporting cast. other than Carol the average audience wont really be able to tell you anything about Tom, Killowog, Tomar, etc. and if you haven't read the comics you really won't know why Hals older brother is an ass

bottom line: not a bad job for GL's first time on the silver screen. I'd give it an 8.5 if they'd let me
  41. Dec 13, 2011
    This movie won't make you think however it has a solid story and solid acting. If you are a fan of the comic book this is a must see, for the general public overall its not a bad movie.
  42. Jun 18, 2011
    I saw Green Lantern with a number of friends, one new to the character. We all agreed it was a fun movie and good story. Basically the reviewers got it wrong, not even sure the reviewers watched the same movie as we did. Overall a good time.
  43. Jun 18, 2011
    I enjoyed Green Lantern. So the pacing was all over the place, they overloaded on exposition and they stuffed too much into one movie. I still really liked it. It was a shame it wasn't closer to the original mythology, because I think that the story suffered where they strayed from the comics, and there was really no reason to. Hopefully the relatively negative response from critics won't discouraging DC from putting some more second and third tier characters on the big screen. In the end, I found the movie pretty enjoyable. Expand
  44. Jun 19, 2011
    It does a disservice to contentious comic fans, moviegoers and the Green Lantern brand itself. It attempted to do far too much with far too little time. Three different tangential story-lines that never really flesh themselves out, action sequences that are all-too few and far too short, and a horribly cliched by-the-numbers comic book movie script ('Eh, slap it together, we'll get some CGI to cover-up all the inadequacies'). All due to far, FAR too many Blake-Lively-dramatic-pause-faces. Put it on a t-shirt, you know you love that phrase. The most disheartening thing for me is that it probably won't inspire people to pick up any of the canon of Green Lantern comics, an infinitely more enjoyable and rewarding experience. Expand
  45. Jun 20, 2011
    im not a massive dc fan. being a big fan of marvel. so i probably enjoyed this more than a dc fan. sure it wont win an oscar. but its an enjoyable film to watch an everyone i went with enjoyed it, so ignore all the critics an just go watch it. an decide for your self
  46. Jun 24, 2011
    This movie does not deserve the critic reviews that it has received so far. It almost seems that the reviews are paid by Marvel studios! Special effects were excellent! The 3D was arguably the best executed since Avatar. Even Thor looked fuzzy and out of focus compared to this movie. The story could have been better and the pacing was off and that means this movie will not win an oscar but i never tried to. This movie is meant to be family fun while managing to give GL fans many of the things we wanted to see. This movie does not bastardize the concept or the story that was developed over so many years in print. I give this movie a 10 to make a point. It does not deserve a 10 not does it deserve the current critic score of 39. IMDB has it right. These ratings just go to reduce my trust in metacritic and rottentomatoes reviews. Go and Enjoy the film. Expand
  47. Jun 27, 2011
    I thought it was much better than what the critics thought, I would recommend it. I thought the special effects were good and tha Ryan Reynolds was excellent in his role. Remember they had to spend time with the background of the story,
  48. KCB
    Jun 27, 2011
    My husband & I really enjoyed Green Lantern alot!!! We thought Ryan Reynolds was great and the special effects were very good. We think the critics were way wrong - Green Lantern was so very much better than Thor the bore, Hope they do a sequel wirh more romance between Reynolds & Lively
  49. Jul 4, 2011
    The movie was really entertaining. Critics got this wrong. Yes, the movie was a little short and a bit rushed. It should have been 15 minutes longer. However, aside from that, the special effects were pretty good and the origin story was pretty close to the comic. I hope they still make a sequel with Sinestro as the villian.
  50. Jun 24, 2011
    I'm an admitted comic book fan, but not a rabid Green Lantern fan, and I fully understand that some liberties have to be taken in order to translate a comic character into a live-action movie. Still, I found myself utterly disappointed with the mess that was Green Lantern. While the movie did stick reasonably close to the comic book lore, it didn't do it in a way that drew me in and kept me on the edge of my seat. At times, Ryan Reynolds just seemed bored and like he was reciting his lines. Parallax was more dull than scary, Hector Hammond was not nearly as creepy of a villain as he could have been, and the buildup to Sinestro's turn to the dark side seemed more like an afterthought than a logical progression for the character. Sadly, this just movie just ended up being another in a line of disappointing movies starting DC Comics characters. Expand
  51. Jun 27, 2011
    Wat a pile of crud. And now the studio wants to give us a sequel! the trailer was good, but that was the only thing that was. Honestly wanted y money back.
  52. Jun 17, 2011
    What were the critics thinking? I loved this movie. I liked the story, acting, special effects, I really loved this movie. I went to see Super 8 last week and didn't think it was near as good as this movie. It was just like the comics that I grew up reading. All I can say is if you read the Green Lantern back in the 70ies like I did, then you are going to love this movie. The guy playing Senestro looked just like him! Don't listen to those stupid critics, go see this movie. Expand
  53. Jun 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a really good movie. I didn't read any reviews before I saw it so my expectations were unaffected. I was hoping for a good eye popping visual feast with a cast that didn't disappoint. Well it was a good as I hoped. The acting avoided the cheesiness that sometimes plagues films like this. I was pleasantly surprised that during the relatively lighthearted moments (read: not dark like Batman) it still maintained seriousness and the characters never crossed the line on believability with overacting. By comparison this movie was better than THOR in my opinion. The only thing I can critique is that it was a little short. They could have added about 20 minutes to flesh out the character development a bit more, but overall it still worked pretty well. I thought Ryan Reynolds did a good job. His character seemed like an unassuming approachable guy that got chucked into this role of responsibility, but had the raw potential to be a hero under the right circumstances. It was believable in a similar way as Peter Parker in Spiderman, but more so because Hal wasn't a dork to start ou with. Heck in costume Reynolds even looks like Lantern in the comics. I think he was a good choice ultimately. I can't wait for the sequel. If you were lucky enough and stayed for the closing credits you had a chance to see Sinestro put that yellow ring of fear on and bask in it's evil. Smells like sequel materiL to me. Can't wait.. Expand
  54. Jun 23, 2011
    I was expecting an absolutely terrible, painfully cheesy comic book movie, and I ended up genuinely enjoying it. What makes this movie is the visuals - if you have any interest in incredible 3D and special effects work, then you will definitely get your money's worth. However, be warned that every single romantic scene, as well as a handful of others, are PAINFULLY CHEESY. Let the cheese do its thing, let the visuals blow your mind, and I bet you'll enjoy it too. Expand
  55. Jun 25, 2011
    The movie was fun. Acting was well executed. Especially mark strong as sinestro, it's not his fault the writers dropped the ball with his character. But the problems with his character could be fixed with a sequel. The rest was fine compared to the comics.
  56. Jun 25, 2011
    I've never really been a Green Lantern fan, so I wasn't expecting much...and there wasn't. The film just seemed boring and nothing likable except a couple of scenes.
  57. Jun 19, 2011
    Yeah critics shame on you. I really liked this movie. Critic's are fools and trolls and shouldn't be trusted. Make up your own mind and support a good movie. I mean i thought Thor was awesome, but i still think Green Lantern deserves way more credit. I saw no problems with the plot at all other than changes that they made from the comics which is always expected from Hollywood. Ryan Reynolds acting was good had a good story and he wasn't annoying like as Deadpool in Xmen. Expand
  58. Jun 17, 2011
    Even though the film tries it's hardest to be serious, it's not. The amount of CGI a low fueling plot lines make this film a dumbed down pointless mesh of superhero nerdiness. The acting is great but the story or lack of make this film unbearable for some.
  59. Jun 17, 2011
    Books often don't translate well to film. A good writer can make it work. The acting in the film is fair, but no actor can transform a bad script into a good film. Those who chose the script should be hit with the bill for failed sales at the box office. Their opinion of the public verges on contempt and therefore the public shows its contempt by ignoring this trite effort at cinema.
  60. Jun 17, 2011
    While I can see why many critics disliked it, Green Lantern is NOT deserving of the bashing it's been getting.

The superpower of being able to create anything you could imagine through willpower has, in my opinion, always been unbeatable in terms of HOW COOL IS THAT? I knew going into the theatre that although it probably wouldn't be executed as well as I would have liked, a story like
    Green Lantern couldn't possibly fall into the "been there, done that" list of superhero movies. I've took notice when I first began reading comics that DC characters tend to be more fantastic and space-bound than Marvel, which tends to focus on internal issues. So far, DC hasn't had as many shots as Marvel in films outside of their Batman/Superman franchises, so I was really hoping Green Lantern would be new and exciting.

It was disappointing, yes, but it's definitely not a borefest to the average moviegoer with no invested interest in the comics or characters. It's action-packed, funny, very cool powers with very cool effects, romantic, and certainly fresh in the sense that I can't recall any other superhero movie that's been released that had a place like Oa be a major part of the storyline. I also want to mention that as a female comic book fan, I tend to take notice of how the female leads are treated throughout the movies. In the past few decades, I've never really been all that impressed by the love interests outside of Lois Lane. Before the movie was even announced, I had already known that the only iconic characters that would be able to hold a candle to Lois would be from DC. I had high hopes for Carol Ferris, and while she wasn't executed all that well, she's still impressive to me. There wasn't much focus on it, but I think more people should consider that she's a pilot and is business savvy. Having seen films like Spider-Man accurately portray Mary-Jane Watson and keep her as a plot tool lead the way to comic book movie formulas, for me, the fact that Carol saved Hal from death counts for something.

I'll hold off on saying I loved the Carol in the movie, but the writing made her recognizable as Carol Ferris, and simply because there haven't been many women in comic book movies that have impressed me, I'm going to give Carol Ferris the credit I would never give to characters like Mary-Jane Watson, Pepper Potts, Betty Ross, or Jane Foster etc. The DC women I feel I can respect and look up to, and I'm very glad to add Carol Ferris onto that list with Lois Lane. I expect the same for Catwoman in the next Batman installment. Overall, the movie is very what much what you expect from the trailers. Yes, it probably could have been the next Star Wars and is one of the only comic book franchises with that type of potential, but it wasn't. However, just because of that, it doesn't mean that this film should be bashed because Thor or X-Men: First Class handled themselves better, in my opinion. Green Lantern at it's best would blow everything else out of the water. At it's mediocre, it's on par with the rest of them.

This is, of course, speaking in the context of what I was looking for when I went to see it.
  61. Jun 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was surprised how good this film was. First, you have the "professional critics" saying that it's a bust and then, the users? I walked into the theater expecting Fantastic Four! It was legitimately well done and brilliantly written! The weak points were the score (I couldn't hum a single line from the film if you asked me to right now. It's very forgettable.), one line delivered by Hal's friend ("But doesn't the hero always get the girl?" The audience just sat there, confused. It was completely out of context and made NO sense.), and the apathy the audience is supposed to feel for the Dr. He may have wanted the girl, but I'm not sure I believed that. Also, his dead was a little underwhelming. The movie gets very "real" in a couple of parts...and they are both believable. Reynolds has always been a phenomenal actor, but he really shines here. These people tearing the film apart were in a bad mood. They had to be. Of course...these are the same people who told me Thor was a good film. Ha. You will enjoy it. I can almost guarantee it. Expand
  62. Jun 20, 2011
    I was looking forward to this moving for a long time, then I started seeing the critic reviews rolling in and my balloon began to burst and I was not sure if I was even going to spend my money to see it. Obviously I did, and mainly because critics, the majority of them, suck. They are too full of themselves to enjoy a good movie. This movie was fun. It was a great superhero flick, and I am glad I went to see it. There was no bad acting, nothing to speak of takes you out of the fiction of the movie. Go see it in 3D if you can. Expand
  63. Jun 20, 2011
    There is a fine line between a good movie and a great one â
  64. Jun 20, 2011
    If u r a complete bore with no friends or sense of humor DON'T go see this movie as no one wants to read your post crying like a baby about how "Your" version of the movie wasn't met! This flick was an awesome roller coaster ride that was never a dull moment and had some of the most gorgeous visuals of late. I love all the comic book movies that have come out and this one has made me a fan of the Green Lantern. Go support the studios! Expand
  65. Jun 21, 2011
    The Guardians! The Parallax! Ryan Reynolds lost Scarlett Johannson for this mess! I certainly hope Ryan cashed a hefty paycheck and was, in fact, fooling around with Blake Lively. Blake, by the way, is the best part of this movie. Ryan also has another problem. He has a baby face and a feminine voice, definitely not super hero material. The special effects are fine but if you have a choice (I didn't at my theater) skip the 3D, it's not worth the extra 3 bucks. The plot is disjointed and really bad even by super hero standards where we tolerate a lot. Some decent actors (e.g. Peter Sarsgarrd and Tim Robbins) also give lackluster performances and I am still trying to figure out why the Dr. Hector/Senator Hammond subplot was even inserted into this movie. The age old adage "If you buy the premise, you buy the bit" just doesn't work here and half way through this movie I was looking at my watch trying to figure out when the 105 minute running time would let me out of this cinematic mistake. Save your money and cross your fingers that Captain America does a better job with the super hero genre. Expand
  66. Jun 21, 2011
    Green lantern was a wonderful comic book movie come to life after all these years. it was brilliant & bold to use the cgi effects to give an Epic action sequence, including the costumes. Hectors mutated head was very realistic, and Parallax even more deadlier than the comics. This is an all entertaining movie for everyone.
  67. Jun 21, 2011
    After all the critic reviews I thought the movie would really suck but I found myself thoroughly entertained. The plot is not the strongest ever, but the visuals are amazing and the movie was fun. Go in with a light attitude and you will probably enjoy it.
  68. Jun 22, 2011
    I may be one of a select few people, but I don't listen to reviewers to decide what I watch. In fact I HAD to create an account just so I could further prove why I'm glad I don't. Everywhere the critics have it voted worse then I have ever seen a movie rated. Yes it had some minor flaws, but I still don't believe it deserved HALF of the brash words it received.

Let me start off by saying
    that I am an AVID green lantern fan, in fact I was going into this movie EXPECTING to be disappointed. Just because I felt that it could never convey what I believed the Lantern Universe deserved on the big screen.
    I was still looking forward to it, even with my negative expectations.

I truly believe from the bottom of my 'comic book guy' level of 'fan-dom' that it could not have portrayed Hal Jordan and the lantern Universe any better.

Yes, There were some issues with the plot, and I truly thought that the Hector Hammond story arc, could have been saved for a later movie. I also felt that there were things that did NOT stick to the comics but overall it was close enough to stay ballpark accurate for the fans and coherent enough for the newcomers.

Now, while I did think there were minor flaws, the one flaw that bothers me most is everyone keeps comparing it to something IT IS NOT.

It is not The Dark Knight, it is not Iron Man, nor is it by any means trying to be either one of them.
    While I love them both the problem with those movies is the dark and sombre tone to them, and the lack of connection to the characters themselves. Think about it, Batman can only do what he does because he is a billionaire, same with Stark. While that is a nice setting, Green Lantern does away with that altogether and basically says: "No." No you can not join us, no matter how smart you are, no matter how rich you are, you have to be CHOSEN.
    There is absolutly nothing else like it, maybe that is why the critics hate it, they don't really know how to review it.

In today's dark, gritty, and all around perverted style of comic book movies, Green Lantern actually does us a favor and tries to be different.
    Instead of gritty caves, murderers and terrorists it gives us a place we can escape from the human concerns and tragedies that surround us.

Every scene that had both Hal as a lantern, as well as the other members of the corps left me wanting more. Every scene where he was just plain ol' Hal gave me more insight to what was going on in his head, and yes the script was corney at times, but it was SUPPOSED TO BE! That is actually Hal's character. The part of Sinestro was amasing as well, often times I forgot he was an actor.

People now-a-days complaining about 'Obvious CG' need to remember one bloody thing.
    "The original Star Wars/Star Trek movies/series USED MODELS ON STRINGS!"
    WHO CARES?! Frankly I didn't notice anything obsurd about the CG, nor did it ever feel out of place. In fact I felt that it was the most stunning CG I have EVER seen. When we were on OA it felt how OA should feel, magestic yet completly alien. When we saw the other lanterns it was the same.

I am finished with this review but I leave you with one final and important thought.
    I went to see this movie with my fiancée and my best friend.
    Neither of them had an understanding of the comics yet, when all three of us walked out of that theater after the credits had finished rolling and the screen turned off.
    We all asked the same question:
    "When is the next showing?"
  69. Jun 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Definitely worth watching if you're a fan of Green Lantern, but they tried way to hard to cram as much Green Lantern fan service as possible. The whole sequence with Kilowog and Sinestro training Hal prove this. Kilowog shows up, calls him a Poozer, punches him in the face, then leaves. Sinestro calls him weak, humiliates him, then leaves. They should've either went all the way with the training, or had it in the next movie. The actual plot was pretty straight forward. Nothing fancy, but it worked. Expand
  70. Jun 22, 2011
    Fact: Green Lantern has a history spanning over four decades and DC tried to cram a lot of it into a 2 hour flick. Is it any wonder then that the content seems a bit rushed or compressed? I think not, yet consider it a foundation movie. Okay, many DC Hal Jordan fans will probably not appreciate some of Hal's ring constructs. Hal never used complicated machinery like mini-guns or Anti Aircraft guns, but at least they kept to the more contemporary treatment of overcoming fear rather than the original fearless concept, definitely more believable! The more missing bits for me were more the camaraderie of the Corps, they have always been something like the Musketeers, all for one and one for all. Still they did come save Hal from burning up in the sun, too little too late for me personally. If you are not a rigid fan of the comics you can appreciate the struggles of the Hal Jordan that suddenly and very unexpectedly is handed over such power. You can even root for him as an underdog against the somewhat condescending alien species who look down on the young emotional humans. But they got one thing right, though often doubting, Hal never gives up and fights for his friends, the world, and yes also the universe. Sinestro, Kilowog, Tomar Re, and Abin Sur were well portrayed and most comic book fans would appreciate that but have wanted to see more. The final scene was classic Sinestro and well positions the sequel in what could become a great franchise if they don't try to cover so much in the next movie. 53 million the opening weekend may make the sequel a reality and if so they need to have a stronger plot, more Corps camaraderie and more character interaction between Corp members that somehow manage to unite in purpose despite such diversity. Expand
  71. Jun 24, 2011
    To telll the truth, after reading some truly savage reviews by some of the critics I have learned to trust, I intended to skip this film. But as a kid I loved Green Lantern more than Superman, Batman and Supergirl combined. After Wonder Woman GL was my fave.

Now I'll tell you right off, this IS the film to leave the deepest part of your brain home. Don't expect deep thought or,
    y'know, ideas. This is a comic book. Come to life. That's all.

That said, its a whiz-bang, crazy wild ride. Whether you're riding in the **** of a fighter jet with an experimental robot plane hot on your exhaust or you've encountered a dying, handsome purple alien who has just given you the mother of all crackerjack prizes--and a free charger to boot--if you're Blake Lively's title character Hal Jordan you've got just the right aw, gee-ness to carry it off.

Lively's Hal isn't a great brain, but he's a brave guy and a s**t hot seat-of-the-pants pilot. And the flying scenes in and out of vehicles make me want a power ring of my own. All the necessary plot points are here, the plucky girlfriend, the staunch buddy and the evilest evil since Sauron. And then there's the Green Lantern Corps. Not since Luke Skywalker strolled into the cantina have such an amazing array of alien life forms been gathered together. And here Hal makes some friends. I won't tell you about them lest I spoil the fun.

If you want intellectualism, check out anything by Lars von Trier. If you want a rollicking good time to go with your popcorn--see Green Lantern.
  72. Jun 25, 2011
    I don't think the story is interesting , so the movie is about blah blah blah you suddenly gain power and oh **** your only a human and you cant fight god damn aliens than suddenly big scary final boss which looked like very powerful and strong and than the big scary strong boss is killed under 10 **** MINUTES. This god damn movie spent too much time on talking about love and boring things....Boring!
    You know what the 2 score for? It's for the air fight at the beginning which is quite nice for me.
  73. Jul 5, 2011
    I saw this movie (in 3D) with two friends of mine... et we loved it ! I say there are a few flaws in the script, but it's not that important. And... It's what "I" wanted to see in the fist place. Great action, great fun !!! I can't wait to see what they will with Sinestro in the second movie... LOVED the whole thing ! G-R-E-A-T !
    P.-S. This movie make me want to join... the Grenn Lantern
    Corp. LOL. :-) Expand
  74. Jul 22, 2011
    How there can be such huge fans of Harry Putter and say this movie wasn't great is beyond me. Funny, action pact, awesome special effects, great message that wasn't environmental. Great movie for the whole family. Thank goodness for finally a great comic book movie since Iron Man 1!!
  75. Jul 31, 2011
    There are plenty of bad movies been released this year, but i will draw my attention to the biggest disapointment of the year. Green lantern looked AMAZING in the trailer and it really does portray an epic tale of good vs evil , Will vs Fear. Me being an avid green lantern fan and a follower of DC comics i was looking forward to DC's 3rd major movie release other than batman and superman. With the huge depth of super heroes from DC unvierse to make movies on i thought that this movie would be one of the best movies out there this year. Oh how wrong was I. Even for me a true fan of the GL, this movie is utter rubbish. Its really boring, takes forever to get going and when it does it ends. It feels more like a setup for a second movie (at the end you will see why) but given how much it has flopped unless they know the 2nd movie will be a million times better than this, no one would go near it with a barge pole. The acting is okay in my opinon, Ryan Reynolds does a good job as the GL but his supporting cast look like they couldnt care less. The Special effects are good when you get to see some action but its not enough. If you are not gonna have action scenes then at least replace them with an engaging story, Unfortnately it dosent, stay away from this title its very, very poor. Expand
  76. Jun 17, 2011
    I might be overly complimentary giving it this rating. I love Ryan Reynolds. I'm excited about him being Deadpool. But the combination of he and Blake Lively who are clearly here for eye candy, along with dialogue that makes the Fantastic Four series seem like Citizen Kane, cannot sustain the brilliant effects and perfect representation of the Green Lantern Corps and backstory. As a comic fan, they did a GREAT job with the Green Lantern aspect. But Ryan and Blake + awful writing = MEH. Expand
  77. Jun 19, 2011
    I'm a big fan of the superhero movie genre. I grew up on comic books. I don't expect movies to directly channel the comic books; there has to be some allowances for the different medium. I thought Daredevil and X3 were decent movie fare.

Green Lantern is easily one of the worst big-budget superhero movies I've seen. The story was boring. The pacing was boring. The dialogue was boring. The
    chemistry between Reynolds and his female romantic lead? Boring. The villain was boring. The Corps was so amateurish that a noobie like Hal Jordan easily shows them up in the boss fight.

This is a terrible movie.
  78. Jul 9, 2011
    If you loved the comic book series, then you will totally get this film. All others, just go find something else to watch. The 3D version of this film was actually a worthwhile endeavor as opposed to being a distraction like so many other movies with the word 3D tacked onto them. Not destined to take in as much as most Marvel efforts, this DC Comics movie still does the Green Lantern mythos proud. I'd rate this as a strong contender for your matinee dollars and a reserved recommendation for your evening greenbacks. Enjoy and let darkness fear your might. Expand
  79. Jun 20, 2011
    Being a Ryan Reynolds fan, I was determined to see the film no matter the poor reviews. Maybe it's because my expectations were low, but I was entertained. It isn't perfect. Some of the dialogue is clunky, and it follows the standard superhero formula, but it has some humor and great special effects. Strange to me that the critics loved the Spiderman movies but don't like this one. Spiderman was also formulaic, but I think Ryan Reynolds makes a better super hero than Tobey Maguire. All super hero movies follow the same formula, just like all romantic comedies follow the same formula, so I think critics are starting to get bored at super hero movies. I get that. I'm also hoping they come up with something original for the inevitable sequel, but this film was passable. Expand
  80. Sep 23, 2011
    This was not a well conceived film. So much has already been said about how this that I'm not going to pile more on. Instead I'm writing this as a request to future superhero filmmakers. Please try a little harder to take into consideration the age of the mythology. Green Lantern has been around since 1940. That's a full 70 years before anyone thought to put the story on film. That means that if his first fans are still alive, they're in their 80's. Have a little more respect for people's memories. Spend some time on the writing, put aside the egos and let the writers who have talent and are fans of the subject weave the reasons for that love into the story. There are thousands of superhero stories out there and most of them are rightfully forgotten, so the few that stand the test of time have something that has been speaking to people for generations. Find that truth and make it the foundation of every thing the story communicates. And THEN make it look really cool. Also, yes there is subtext, but these are also comics not Shakespeare, so you don't have to bury that too deep. Story first, then merchandising opportunities or whatever else the suits are making you squeeze into it. This film was clearly made for junior high kids, and that's about money, we get it. But throw us 30, 40, 50, and 60 year olds a bone. We want to be transported too. Expand
  81. Jul 7, 2011
    This movie is a lot better than what many critics are trying to make it out to be. I am a fan of the Green Lantern super-hero idea (and not just because my favorite color IS Green) but because of the fact that the powers of a Green Lantern is that while a chosen one wears the green ring, he and/or she and/or it can create virtually anything they can think up of in their mind. The character designs, C.G.I. and special effects were all amazing, and the actors/actresses' who made up this movie all played their parts to perfection! Comic book fanatics will be especially pleased, as this movie explores in great detail, the origin of one of the greatest Green Lanterns (some would even argue the BEST Green Lantern ever) known as Hal Jordan. If you want to see action, romance, and humor in a comic book superhero movie, than this is a great movie to see! :D And a sequel is definitely not out of the question, I recommend checking it out to see what I mean. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I highly recommend it! :idea: Enough said! ;) Expand
  82. Jun 30, 2011
    O.k. Hal's transition into Green Lantern is a bit,unrealistic,Yes, I know it's a "Movie" about a "comic book superhero",but I believe the purpose of the theater is to turn fantasy into reality...so at least allow the characters to be a bit grounded towards reality. However on a whole, the movie was awesome and yes I would recommend it......
  83. Oct 3, 2011
    Green Lantern is so much better than so many other films that have been released recently I expected schlock from all of the negative reviews but I found it to be fun, visually engaging, and the characters interesting,and likeable. This is NOT A BAD MOVIE. It is not perfect but it doesn't insult your intelligence and isn't ultra violent like most. I seriously don't understand the bad reviews it didn't deserve it. This was way better than Transformers- all of them. Also better than the Jar Jar Binks Star Wars atrocities. Expand
  84. Jun 19, 2011
    I was kinda disappointed by this film. I thought that it would be as awesome as films like Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk but this movie never turns into anything more than a visually exciting movie. The villain is portrayed very good by Peter Sarsgard. Martin Campbell has made many better films like Casino Royale and The Mask of Zorro
  85. Jun 17, 2011
    I normally dont agree with the critics at all but i have to say they are spot on with this movie. I give it a 4 because these types of comics are very hard to make into a film. It seemed cheesy to me. Ryan reynolds isnt the best actor in the world which i think we all know but he was funny and he fit the role of hal jordan/green lantern well. He has that **** attitude like hal and he has the body frame for the green lantern. The movie just felt short and rushed. I felt as though you saw the entire movie in the trailer. I actuallyy fell asleep a couple of times during this movie, although i was tired and i saw the midnight showing, but the movie was pretty boring at times. If they do make a sequel i suggest they make it more epic like every comic book film should be. Create a stronger story, more action and certainly make the climax extended and epic, because the ending to this film as well with the whole movie, was awfully rushed. Overall the acting was sub par, not nearlyenough action, whole film was rushed but i give it a 4 because the comedy was definite,y there and Blake Lively is super hot in this movie. 4/10 Expand
  86. Jul 31, 2011
    Comparing this movie to other superhero movies its BAD. Bad Dialogue, just bad. Good scenery though i'll give them credit for that. This movie is so bad I can't even write a bad review. Read another bad review and that is how I feel lol.
  87. Jul 1, 2011
    i think some of the criticism was very harsh indeed. Ok it is no masterpiece but it's very entertaining and has decent humour. I think the problem was with the plot and the lack of real enemy. Also the whole idea that ou can create any weapon you like it's too easy and maybe not too interesting on the big screen. Regardless I would like to see a sequel.
  88. Jun 18, 2011
    Green Lantern proves an entertaining, but poorly thought-out film. The movie contains visually captivating scenes and some humorous segments, but the film is afflicted by a slow-moving plot and conspicuous plot holes. Green Lantern kept me well entertained, and I do not regret paying the ticket price to see it; however, the quality of the movie is undoubtedly poor and it could have been a much better movie had the writers decided to present a story that did not constantly skip around and make little sense. Moviegoers expecting a top-notch Green Lantern film adaptation will be disappointed; those seeking an entertaining movie containing superheroes and fighting sequences will most likely enjoy it. Expand
  89. Jun 19, 2011
    After the bar has been raised for superhero movies in the past few years, Green Lantern just doesn't measure up. The fimmakers made no attempt to rise above rank mediocrity. At every level, this movie feels like it was phoned in.
  90. Jun 25, 2011
    Many people have given it bad reviews but what i feel is that it is a good film which lacks action but got every other element a superhero movie should have. it has a good humorous moments which is new for a super hero film and is interesting. if you like the visual effects in avatar then this film provides u that. the only n important factor this film lacks is good action which they showed it but was found short to be considered a action film. so overall it is good film not great but everyone should watch it at least ONCE. i think the ending was amazing if u liked the ending of usual suspects then u will love it. so HOPEFULLY the sequel to it will be better. Expand
  91. Nov 11, 2011
    This is a great example of a non-Nolan DC film, it stinks and its quite horrid. Superman Returns also joins this list. So therefore, the High Council of Film should pass legislation that Christopher Nolan should do all the films for DC Comics, even as a producer, because he'd still have power over the film. These are just my comments, but below is the review.

It nearly induced me into a
    deep sleep. I don't know why. Oh I know! It was very bland, it had a weak, formulaic script, overacting (yes, Ryan Reynolds growls like Batman on one part), convulted direction, and some very crappy CGI. I didn't watch this in 3D, but I was probably smart not to.

Pretty much, this was a terrible movie that was rushed and just was released at the wrong time. I say, they should have put more emphasis on the script than the CGI.

It was pretty funny though how Tim Robbins' character looked almost like Glenn Beck.
  92. Jul 2, 2011
    I don't know what to say, this movie is so bad, all i'm going to do is give it a zero ratting and urge you not to waste your time.
  93. Jul 8, 2011
    bad script and bad acting makes it a failure...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  94. Aug 17, 2011
    The Green Lantern is my favorite DC comic book hero, so you can imagine my excitement as I sat down in the theater. Superhero movies always have a lot of potential, The Green Lantern included, needless to say, I was disappointed. Ryan Reynolds delivered an expressionless, boring character and was not fit for the role at all. Not just Ryan Reynolds though, all the actors do a depressing job at portraying any sort of emotion at all and most perform terribly at their roles. A cliche superhero plot is to be expected, but, unlike some films, this movie had no twists or surprises, and overall failed to impress. The special effects could have been much better, but were satisfactory. The action scenes never reach extreme excitement or explosive fun, but are still good enough to keep you interested. Everything felt rushed; some actually good scenes were cut off too quickly, the final battle came far too fast, and the whole movie I was hoping that one character would stand out and become defined, but alas, they never did. A disappointing superhero movie to say the least. For a superhero movie, this one is rushed, boring and sub-par. Expand
  95. Nov 18, 2011
    This movie is very watchable and entertaining for a superhero movie. The special effects look expensive and the acting (esp Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively) is decent. It makes for an excellent eye-candy piece, especially if you buy it on blu-ray. However, as a faithful interpretation of the Green Lantern lore, I found the movie to be merely okay. The director obviously knew where the characters are generally going to end up. The teaser at the end is very accurate of the character's (Sinestro) fate. However, the movie focuses too much on the character of Hal Jordan and not enough on any of the other green lantern corps members. We never truly get into Sinestro's head or realize what a brute badass Kilowog really is. Overall, I thought Green Lantern First Flight was a far more enjoyable origin story for Green Lantern, even though it is animated. I think 10-20 years down the line when they make a new Green Lantern, (assuming this one does not receive a sequel) this version will be the equivalent to tim burton's Batman being compared to chis nolan's Batman Begins. Expand
  96. May 12, 2012
    Ryan Reynolds dons a green energy suit and defends Earth from outer space giant alien heads and a crazy scientist? Okay. Not perfect. But its fun all the same, and what superhero movie isn't?
  97. Jul 1, 2013
    We can work with this. Don't do it again. There is no reason to reboot it. There is a decent world created, as long as the script and effects aren't as shoddy, then everything will be fine. No more floating poo monsters next time please.
  98. Jul 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The future of mankind depends on the joystick doings of a college-bound kid who lives in a trailer park. It's 1984, and Alex Rogan is going for the Starfighter record, blasting spaceships on a coin-operated video game in pursuit of a million points before a live audience. When he crosses the threshold, you know the record is legitimate because Alex breaks the mark on a sanctioned machine, which makes all the difference in the world, according to Billy Mitchell, who discredits the world record-breaking Donkey Kong score posted by Washington resident Steve Wiebe in "The King of Kong", the 2007 documentary about the subculture of competitive gaming. 874,300 and 1,006,600 are meaningless numbers, relevant only to an insular group of eighties refugees, but in "The Last Starfighter", the score matters; it's actually a world record, tied with other players, extra-terrestrials from distant galaxies who presumably are all smarter than Alex, which proves Twin Galaxies referee Walter Day right with his claim that first generation arcade games require "comprehensive thinking". Whereas Wiebe, a middle-school science teacher, drives cross-country to New Hampshire for a winner-take-all showdown with Mitchell, a chicken wing hot sauce tycoon, Alex's journey takes him to the stars, as he's transported across the universe by Centauri, an interplanetary recruiter for Rylos, the planet where Alex, a jack-of-all-trades(including plumber, just like Mario), is expected to defend the Kodan Armada from Xur. It's the video game's premise come to life; it's a ten-year-old kid's wet dream, but Alex's brother is too busy ogling centerfolds from his Playboy stash. Early on, "The Last Starfighter" recognized the potential for arrested development in video game-playing males. Exhibit A: the "boys" at Fun Spot whose lives are centered around a Donkey Kong champion, twenty-three years after the film last played in theaters. This should be Louis' adventure. Released one year after Dragon's Lair(the first role-playing coin-op), the "Star Wars" knockoff demonstrates how anything could be an avatar, be it an interstellar fighter pilot or an Italian-American plumber-turned-"Average Joe" superhero, and more importantly, shows how the movies would someday resemble video games, in which "The Green Lantern" is just one more spectacle-laden example. In essence, Hal Jordan flies his plane like a gamer, breaking the rules of engagement like Maverick in "Top Gun", but Cruise managed to be human, unlike the superhero, who is clearly a cipher. The ring chooses Hal by default, since earth just happens to be the planet that Abin Sur crashes on. Earth has no affiliation with the Green Lantern Corps., whose leader deems the human species worthy only of his contempt. Alex, likewise, is considered to be a fluke. Centauri explains how the machine was originally headed for Vegas, but inexplicably, it turned up at a "fleaspeck trailer park", completely incongruous to its natural surroundings, an arcade, just like how the monolith in "2001: A Space Odyssey" winds up in the African desert, causing a disturbance among the apes(Donkey Kong, a gorilla, is a kind of ape). Earth isn't even a part of the league. Humans are comparably stupid. However, similar to how the monolith instilled that first ape with the intelligence to use the bone as a weapon, the machine makes Alex smarter, bringing him up to speed in order to make him competitive with the higher-evolved recruits. Like "The Last Starfighter", this latest DC Comics adaptation features a loss of narrative momentum, in which both protagonists return home when earth doesn't seem to be in any imminent danger. "Save the whales, but not the universe," observes Alex's replicant when the humanoid first sees the conscientious objector. Like the would-be starfighter, Hal is also an isolationist; he doesn't see how the Parallax's rampage against the planets of his Green Lantern brethren affects earth. Cowards at heart, nevertheless, self-preservation keeps both Hal and Alex alive and enables them to save their home when it comes under attack. At Alex's orientation for the Rylan Star League, the "death or victory" chant that comes at the end of the speaker's closing statements recall the Japanese mentality during WWII, turning the starfighter recruits into something akin to kamikaze pilots. Alex, being American, is impervious to the brainwashing. Similarly, the Parallax possesses the same quintessential war period Japanese characteristic of fearlessness, as embodied by the fear essence's "yellow" energy. It's Hal's humanity; his admission of being afraid to die which makes him successful against the Parallax and Hector, whose bulbous head, a result of exposure to radiation, could be interpreted as a reference to the atomic bombs that leveled Japan. Donkey Kong is suicide too. Most games "don't last a minute". It's suicide, manufactured by Nintendo. Expand
  99. Oct 23, 2012
    A guilty pleasure. This was the most disappointing comic book movie I ever saw at the movies, that and Spiderman 3. How could they do this to Green Lantern? They have a superhero who travels into space all the time and is practically Star Wars material. WHAT DO THEY DO?!?!?!?! MAKE A MEDIOCRE MOVIE OUT OF AN AWESOME CHARACTER!!!! .... What did you expect? For it to be good?

This movie
    is a so-bad-it's-good movie. I was hoping for a "Dark Knight in space" epic, but what we got was an over-produced, poorly written and terribly acted piece of $200 million dollars that went straight down the box office toilet. What a shame.

Now the guilty pleasures of this movie:

Well this is Green Lantern's motion-picture debut, just not a great one. Some of the scenes are entertaining but HEctor Hammond is so bloody annoying you want to staple his mouth shut for the rest of the movie. His screaming is unbelievably annoying. It's like listening to a podcast of a baby crying 24/7 and never stopping once. So pointless.

As for the plot, the whole thing is a mess and it messes with Green Lantern's mythological background quite a bit. Parallax was never an entity trapped in the ring. Instead he was a corrupted Guardian who wanted to use the power for himself.

Hell, if that wasn't enough, the imagination that Hal uses for the ring is just as limited as the writer's abilities to write awkward dialogue let alone stronger plot and character development.

Thankfully we got The Dark Knight Rises from Warner Brothers and DC Entertainment so we can forgive them for Green Lantern.
  100. May 16, 2012
    While all the happenings in space is visually jaw-dropping and exciting, Hal Jordan's life on Earth is slow, unfunny and uninteresting. Main characters lack development and vital plot points are practically breezed over. This is a fault of the movie's short length, bearing under two hours long. Not bad, but you could spend your time on better stuff out right now.

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Jun 23, 2011
    It's a helluva comic book, to be sure, but it's a godawful mess of a movie.
    Apart from having no particular reason to exist onscreen, especially at these prices, it's not half bad.
  3. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 17, 2011
    The film splinters into three near-discrete storylines that don't play all that well together.