6.5

1. Aug 11, 2010
    Paul Greengrass up until around 2001 no one knew whom this Irish up and coming director was that is until he directed the second of the three Bourne films "The Bourne Supremacy"(2004) that became the highest grossing film for the series at that point. one of Greengrass' most critically acclaimed films following on the heels of his universally acclaimed "Bloody Sunday"(2002). Three yearsPaul Greengrass up until around 2001 no one knew whom this Irish up and coming director was that is until he directed the second of the three Bourne films "The Bourne Supremacy"(2004) that became the highest grossing film for the series at that point. one of Greengrass' most critically acclaimed films following on the heels of his universally acclaimed "Bloody Sunday"(2002). Three years later Greengrass directed one of the last decades most acclaimed and most controversial films "United 93"(2006) based on the true story of the heroism of the passengers and there tragic death when they forced the plane into a nose dive causing it to crash near Shanksville, Pennsylvania. The film was a massive critical success but meet with extreme criticism form audiences alike over its touchy source material. The year after Greengrass and actor Matt Damon re-teamed to star and direct the third(and possibly final installment) of the hugely successful Bourne series with the "Bourne Ultimatum"(2007) which proved to be the highest grossing and biggest critically acclaimed hit of the series bringing a crashing final close to the saga of Jason Bourne. For nearly three years Greengrass was working on a new project that while may lack the enthusiasm of his early works is no less thought provoking or thrilling as his earlier works. This film is one of his best and a film that not only gives you the views of why we go to war but if the reasons we do go to war are really for the right reasons. When I first heard of Paul Greengrass' "Green Zone" back in late 2009 I can say that I was extremely excited to see Greengrass and Damon back together again making a big action picture again I could almost picture how this film would have played out in my head(no thanks to my limitless imagination). I saw Damon playing a solider fighting against another Government conspiracy involving some sort of political assassination or cover up that he exposed. I was eager with anticipation however, when I found out the release date of this film my anticipation dwindled. It dwindled not because I found out the film might not be as good as it appears but it dwindled because I would have to wait three months into 2010 to see one of my most anticipated films of 2010. After nearly two months of waiting I finally was able to see Paul Greengrass' "Green Zoneâ Expand
  2. JohnP
    Mar 16, 2010
    Great movie. lol@ James F. We did not win, we have not won, we cannot win if we continue to lie and mislead. Why should the truth be considered liberal, unless of course anything spoken by a conservative is lies, lies and more lies.
  3. Nov 22, 2012
    That was one good movie. It kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Matt Damon is one heck of an actor. By the way, does anybody know what happened to all the WMD ? Even if nobody seems to care anymore, I would like to know where they are...
  4. Nov 15, 2012
    Not a war movie, no. But an elegant, perfectly paced thriller? Yes. Paul Greengrass has accomplished something here that he couldn't with the Bourne films, because the audience can believe everything he's telling them.
  5. DevonC
    Mar 12, 2010
    Green Zone is another Matt Damon/Paul Greengrass camera-shaking actioner. Although this one lacks originality, it still gets the job done. It is exciting, pulse-pounding, and great popcorn fun.
  6. JeremyC
    Mar 22, 2010
    A thrilling film that should serve as a reminder to all of us.
  7. RobC.
    Mar 12, 2010
    Moves along very well, the 'idealistic message' is nicely balanced with 'real politics', believable, makes its point while not lecturing. Plus: guns, explosions, martial technology, and large Hollywood names willing to risk reflection concerning 'how this mess all came about'.
  8. J.R.H
    Mar 12, 2010
    Gotta give it a ten because it's political. Some critics compare it unfavorably to Hurt Locker for that reason Hurt Locker let us know that there is still room for the Good Cowboy -- out there in the wilds of Iraq -- inscrutable, deep, superior competence with things that hurt and kill, solitary like Shane and Hondo, misunderstood by lesser men, killer of faceless, bad by definition, Gotta give it a ten because it's political. Some critics compare it unfavorably to Hurt Locker for that reason Hurt Locker let us know that there is still room for the Good Cowboy -- out there in the wilds of Iraq -- inscrutable, deep, superior competence with things that hurt and kill, solitary like Shane and Hondo, misunderstood by lesser men, killer of faceless, bad by definition, Natives, moved to affection, compassion and honor by young boys, seems in some deep way to know why the Wild West and the Desert Sands are ours. If we have a man like that there, how can it be Bad? So clearly, Hurt Locker was not political. Green Zone's politics are its MacGuffin. That we were lied to is unfortunately old news, but the action is fast, the lines are not bad -- Damon's a very good soldier. Expand
  9. vargv
    Mar 12, 2010
    This movie was fantastic. The story builds a what-if scenario about why we didn't find WMD's and runs with it to make a great thriller. I don't think this film was made to get the Bush administration incarcerated. So ignore all the negative reviews bashing it as liberal propaganda. Sure its got very critical interpretation of the way the war was handled, but demonizing the This movie was fantastic. The story builds a what-if scenario about why we didn't find WMD's and runs with it to make a great thriller. I don't think this film was made to get the Bush administration incarcerated. So ignore all the negative reviews bashing it as liberal propaganda. Sure its got very critical interpretation of the way the war was handled, but demonizing the U.S. government makes for much better than a bunch of Iraqis. That would be a cowboys and indians movie, and those are boring. Expand
  10. KevinD
    Mar 12, 2010
    Wow, was I surprised. This movie is not what you think it is. "Green Zone" is one of the best pictures of the year and has fundementally changed the actioner archetype. It's the best.
  11. BillK
    Mar 12, 2010
    Unbelievable stunts and great action. It is mesmerizing and stunning from start to finish.
  12. TylerH
    Mar 13, 2010
    Fantastic action movie that ties its political message in very well without forcing it or over doing it. Whether you agree with it or not, its still a very well done movie. Obviously James F. below must be one of the people who will blindly follow orders because thinking hurts. I have several friends in the military and have no ill will against the men/women who serve, I thank them for Fantastic action movie that ties its political message in very well without forcing it or over doing it. Whether you agree with it or not, its still a very well done movie. Obviously James F. below must be one of the people who will blindly follow orders because thinking hurts. I have several friends in the military and have no ill will against the men/women who serve, I thank them for there service and intentions, but to say we won is a joke. Tell me, what did we win? What do we have to show for it? The government throwing around the lives of are citizens for there own agenda must stop... and this movie portrayed it extremely well. Matt Damon was perfect for this role. As it was said in the movie, "The reasons we go to war always matter". Expand
  13. GarrathB
    Mar 13, 2010
    Slick Bourne style action set in an Iraqi War Background with the focus on the myth of WMD's. Excellent film, but it helps to know a bit more about the war.
  14. AdamH
    Mar 14, 2010
    Very Good movie....Fast paced thriller with a bold story to the Iraq war.....and to James F who said: "Sily hype liberal BS. Newsflash folks, we won." what exactly did we win? A war based on false pretense? To quote...." it's not up to you to decide what goes on here(Iraq)."
  15. SamS
    Mar 14, 2010
    I gave it a nine as it was a respectable film a Matt Played His Rolw Well Great Film.
  16. TracyE
    Mar 15, 2010
    This movie was great! My husband and I havent been out on a date since our 2 year old son was born. We went to see this movie last night and we had our doubts but this movie was awesome. I don't favor action movies but this movie i could see over and over again! Matt Damon always brings great things to the table. Green Zone has a great plot and wonderful actors. You never know what This movie was great! My husband and I havent been out on a date since our 2 year old son was born. We went to see this movie last night and we had our doubts but this movie was awesome. I don't favor action movies but this movie i could see over and over again! Matt Damon always brings great things to the table. Green Zone has a great plot and wonderful actors. You never know what will happen next, and it keeps you wanting more even at the end. Expand
  17. LeeS
    Mar 16, 2010
    Top film, great action good political commentary. It's not left wing it's true.
  18. billt
    Apr 2, 2010
    Simply the best movie of the year. The best war/ political thriller of the decade.
  19. iainm.
    Apr 3, 2010
    A very powerful and thrilling film.
  20. TylerW.
    Jun 25, 2010
    Very well done. What this film offers is a fictional accounting of the true cynicism and naiveté the Neocons used to prosecute the Iraq War.
    Mar 12, 2010
    Kick ass thriller that has brains when it comes to the action.
  22. JonB.
    Mar 17, 2010
    This movie was incredible. It keeps you guessing all the way through.
  23. BryanF
    Mar 19, 2010
    Anyone giving this a low score because they try to throw political bs in the mix should be reminded that they went to go see an action movie, not a bias documentary. Entertainment is much differentthnqn politics, and this movie is clearly (and very effectively, might I add) entertaining. Great acting, a suspenseful story, and chaotic action sequences all pull together to make a hell of an Anyone giving this a low score because they try to throw political bs in the mix should be reminded that they went to go see an action movie, not a bias documentary. Entertainment is much differentthnqn politics, and this movie is clearly (and very effectively, might I add) entertaining. Great acting, a suspenseful story, and chaotic action sequences all pull together to make a hell of an action-drama. Please do not compare to The Hurt Locker, because it is NOT the same topics and clearly not the same type of cinematography. Expand
  24. LindaP.
    Mar 21, 2010
    Intensely patriotic film keeps the viewer captivated.
  25. JudeH.
    Mar 21, 2010
    This film illustrates the absence of honesty that occurs in too many of those with power.
  26. Jul 3, 2011
    A superb film on many accounts: realism, ethics, exposure, acting, environment, photography. I gave it a 9 instead of a 10, because at times it resembles more a journalistic expose rather than a directed script/scenario. But overall "right, riveting, good".

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Dec 14, 2010
    An expensive flop and the latest Iraq movie to be shunned by the mass audience, Green Zone was still the year's most visceral, thrilling entertainment.
    Miller's wake-up call is meant to be ours. Too little and too late? Maybe. But even in this Bourne Zone, Damon and Greengrass haven't shirked their duty to enlighten and entertain.
  3. For a while Green Zone generates genuine excitement, as well as plenty of provocation--a fatuous surrogate for Ahmed Chalabi, a pervasive scorn for American planning--but then goes off its own reservation into a won't-fly zone of awkward preachments and hapless absurdities.