7.7

1. May 16, 2014
    one of the bad ass director Rodriguez and Tarentino Present their films Planet terror and death proof into grind house . so far Robert Rodriguez has done it again made one of the grusesome , thrilling , epic zombie film i have ever seen ". He did it again with Machete and Sin City . Grade A+
  2. Mar 27, 2014
    I bought Grindhouse, and I thanked myself for it. Grindhouse is a true 80's exploitation film, both packing humor and gore in a 4 hour package. PLANET TERROR: 8/10- There is no doubt that Rodriguez's kick ass film Planet Terror is awesome. Rose McGowan is awesome, her acting is a blend of terror and mischief, while other A listers, which include- Josh Brolin, Bruce Willis and TarantinoI bought Grindhouse, and I thanked myself for it. Grindhouse is a true 80's exploitation film, both packing humor and gore in a 4 hour package. PLANET TERROR: 8/10- There is no doubt that Rodriguez's kick ass film Planet Terror is awesome. Rose McGowan is awesome, her acting is a blend of terror and mischief, while other A listers, which include- Josh Brolin, Bruce Willis and Tarantino himself are pretty good as well. Planet Terror is a 2 hour film- which is pretty long for something that is like a SNL sketch, the comic timing was funny and the gore was over the top. Seems like Rodriguez watched a lot of B movies lately. Undoubtedly, Planet Terror is a slow but a crazy, fun, over the top and sexy ride that can be enjoyed by a lot of action junkies. DEATH PROOF: 6/10- The second entry is by Quentin Tarantino. Surprised? Well, I sure was when I heard Death Proof was included in the package. But Death Proof is not the type of movie that looks like it has been made by Tarantino. I mean, that guy made Pulp Fiction! A grand tour de force of filmmaking! What happened here?!! Kurt Russell CAN ACT. And in Death Proof, his acting is top notch, and so is Zoe Bell and Rosario Dawson. But the dialogue- well, I kinda hate myself to say this but, it's very long and boring. I love Tarantino's dialogues- they make the movie even better. But here it's a different case. Car chases are pretty impressive and the songs are good too. But the cheap writing and story don't help and add misery to your experience. Overall, Death Proof is a one time watch by any means and not a great entry in Grindhouse. Well, Grindhouse is very fun and cheesy. This most fun you will have at the movies. Oh, and the fake trailers are super funny. :) Expand
  3. Jan 22, 2014
    Two excellent films shown back to back. The better being Tarantino's 'Death Proof' as he proves Kurt Russell still has the chops. Rodriguez's 'Planet Terror' gives Rose McGowan the starring role she's always deserved.
  4. Dec 31, 2013
    Grindhouse is a trip down memory lane for the 70's and 80's moviegoers. The great thing is that both movies could stand alone. Planet Terror is okay, but Tarantino's Death Proof takes the cake. Planet Terror is more pulpy while Death Proof is more gory. Definitely not Tarantino's best movie (and in that right, it's probably his least best), but still fun to watch.
  5. May 25, 2013
    As of yet I haven't seen Planet Terror so can't comment as to its quality. As for Death Proof, it features the usual entertaining dialogue, stunts and bursts of violence you'd expect from a Tarantino movie but just lacks the flair that made films like Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill into cult classics.
  6. May 15, 2013
    Tribute to zombie movies a nifty produced by Robert Rodriguez, but gets to be a bit weird and super disgusting, yet guarantees fun with ridiculously bizarre scenes funnier. good movie
  7. Mar 16, 2013
    Drugs, sex and a hell of a lot of violence, what else do you need in a film? A story would have gone amiss though. Grindhouse is a modern day...Grindhouse film, it brings together the amazing writing skills of Trantino and the not very talented at anything Rodriguez to make two films and put them in the same box.
    Planet Terror, directed by Rodriguez, is the more violent of the two films.
    Planet Terror, directed by Rodriguez, is the more violent of the two films. It is a family friendly horror film that you can sit down, watch, then forget about in 10 minutes because there was no plot, bad actors and some pretty special effects...but then again it wouldn't be Grindhouse if it didn't have these attributes. Very fun if you are drunk, a bit of a bore if you aren't.
    Deathproof is Tarantino's baby. Now you will only like Deathproof if you like Tarantino, take that as a warning. The film is already about 50 minutes in before anything exciting happens and then there is only one other action sequence after that, but it does provide some very good quotes for you and your buddies to bust out, just like Pulp Fiction did (lets face it, who doesn't quote Pulp Fiction).
    Personally I prefer Deathproof, but that's because I like Tarantino and I dont like Rodriguez. But both films are worth it for a reasonable price, nothing over £10 for the Blu-Ray though.
    P.S: Deathproof is also better because of Mary Elizabeth Winstead wearing a cheerleader costume...dat body
  8. Mar 9, 2013
    Directed and Written spectaculary, Grindhouse is on all levels one of the best horror films ever not because of its pleasing terror and gorey sickening violence but because of its set-up as an old cinematic horror setting in which movie trailers were provided making the plot so much better.
  9. Feb 10, 2013
    Planet Terror was ok, I give it a 5. Ending was poor and I hated how it skipped a huge sequence near the end of the film (they arrive at the bar and then it skips to it being being set on fire after a huge fight). Still entertaining, Although in a stupid sort of way. I liked Death Proof but it was too long imo, It could have been a lot shorter. Also, The ending absolutely ruined the filmPlanet Terror was ok, I give it a 5. Ending was poor and I hated how it skipped a huge sequence near the end of the film (they arrive at the bar and then it skips to it being being set on fire after a huge fight). Still entertaining, Although in a stupid sort of way. I liked Death Proof but it was too long imo, It could have been a lot shorter. Also, The ending absolutely ruined the film imo, It was terrible and was a huge slap to the face after sitting through the near 2 hour run time. Overall, I went into it with no expectations so I wasn't greatly disapointed but I was disapointed none the less. Expand
  10. Nov 26, 2012
    1 great film, 1 pretty good one. Planet Terror is just awesome - an absolute masterclass in B-film making! It simply takes all the things which we love about those movies and throws them all into one cheesy, gore-laden flick. End of. Death Proof is good, but can drag at times with a bit too much dialogue in some scenes and a slightly stretched finale. Kurt Russell plays the charming, yet1 great film, 1 pretty good one. Planet Terror is just awesome - an absolute masterclass in B-film making! It simply takes all the things which we love about those movies and throws them all into one cheesy, gore-laden flick. End of. Death Proof is good, but can drag at times with a bit too much dialogue in some scenes and a slightly stretched finale. Kurt Russell plays the charming, yet dark stuntman, absolutely superbly though and adds some real quality moments to it. Worth buying for Planet Terror alone, but Death Proof makes a nice bonus film. Expand
  11. Jun 21, 2012
    This film proves Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez are in need of a therapist , which one should realize means nothing bad about this exploitation film jewel. Both movie in this feature are worth watching if you like violence and girls.
  12. May 18, 2012
    Death proof is a very well-paced film with some quite amazing action sequences, and has a very satisfying ending of female empowerment. Planet terror on the other hand is just plain bloody, disguisting, and gory fun.
  13. Dec 1, 2011
    How in Holy hell is this at 7.4???
    Watched Death Proof. Women talking for the vast majority of the film with the single dumbest **** ending ever.
    Anyone that says this is good would gladly get on their knees and let Tarantino spunk in their mouth.
    **** hell...
  14. Sep 29, 2011
    So far I have seen only "Planet Terror" for this movie, but its just bloody and gruesome. What is the point of remaking a 80's exploitation film? I definitely gave up watching "Death Proof" after the end of the film. I just can't.
  15. Aug 30, 2011
    Brilliant. That's all I can say about this beautiful collage of gore, guns, and girls. Grindhouse is a brutally violent double feature that plays like one of the old school double feature exploitation films. The first half, Planet Terror is an old school zombie movie. Directed, written, edited, and (surprise) composed by Robert Rodriguez, it's a definite recommendation. In between theBrilliant. That's all I can say about this beautiful collage of gore, guns, and girls. Grindhouse is a brutally violent double feature that plays like one of the old school double feature exploitation films. The first half, Planet Terror is an old school zombie movie. Directed, written, edited, and (surprise) composed by Robert Rodriguez, it's a definite recommendation. In between the first and second half are fake trailers (two of which, Machete and Hobo with a Shotgun, have been turned into real movies which I saw and loved.). After that segment and a few other things (I think one of them is Let's All Go To The Lobby), we dive into Tarantino's segment, Death Proof. Death Proof is a joyride, in true Tarantino style, and it's basically a slasher movie...with cars. Yes, it's as awesome as it sounds. Anyway, I'm running out of room so, WATCH THIS **** MOVIE! Expand
  16. Aug 22, 2011
    No one asked for this. Why would we want to go back in time and make crap movies. And meta please remove Edgar Wrights name as director. He did a same fake trailer not these useless movies. You disgrace his name and the fine work he does by attaching him to this trash.
  17. Apr 7, 2011
    Review On Grindhouse Planet Terror-

Rose McGowan Does A Great Job In This Segment, As Well As The Whole Cast... Never A Dull Moment.. Although Once In A While It Seemed Like To Much Gore But That's Ok.. If I Just Had To Score The Planet Terror Segment It Would Be A 10.. But Overall That Is NOT Going To Happen. Review On Grindhouse Death Proof- Almost All The Way Through.. This Movie
    Review On Grindhouse Planet Terror-

Review On Grindhouse Death Proof-
    Almost All The Way Through.. This Movie Seemed Unoriginal And Boring.. There Are Thrills But Not Much.. The Cast Is Ok... The Story Line Seemed To Expanded.... Almost Everything Was Bad About This Segment.. If I Just Had To Score Death Proof It Would Be A 3..
  18. Feb 21, 2011
    -Planet Terror: 5/5
    -Death Proof: 4/5
    -Planet Terror: 5/5
    -Death Proof: 4/5

In the UK, they were released separately, so Im going to review them separately. Planet Terror: one of the bloodiest & most action packed zombie movies ever. Really funny & gory. Full of guns, babes, zombies & gore... what more could you want? Death Proof: A murderer on the roads, the best of the kind since 'Joy Ride'. A fairly tense movie with plenty of excitement to keep you on the edge of your seat. Congrats to both Tarantino & Rodriguez, you made my life great again!
  19. Nov 1, 2010
    Planet terror was everything i expected it to be which was a cheasy, fun zombie romp, but death proof which i didnt think was terrible was let down by too much boring dialogue between the central female charachters, kurt russell was very good though, and the way the tables are turned near the end almost makes up for all the boring stuff!
  20. Sep 4, 2010
    oh my god... it is so crazy and funny and gory and all at the same time, keeping cool and witty. Tarentino and Rodrigez... bravo jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
  21. Sep 3, 2010
    Death Proof - Quentin Tarantino pays homage to 70's B Movies.
    Great dialogue as you would expect from QT & Kurt Russell is superb as Stuntman Mike. The car chases & stunts are top notch but the whole thing just seems a bit pointless. Oh & Vanessa Ferlito, wow!! Planet Terror - Robert Rodriguez's take on the B-Movie genre.
    Plenty of cheesyness & over the top gore & also very watchable. Some
    Death Proof - Quentin Tarantino pays homage to 70's B Movies.
    Plenty of cheesyness & over the top gore & also very watchable. Some genuine laugh out loud moments in it.Much better than Death Proof in my opinion.
  22. Aug 13, 2010
    Ok I've never seen these movies, but I saw that it says that Grindhouse was directed by Edgar Wright, which isn't true. It was obviously directed by Rodriguez and Tarantino. Fix this Metacritic.
  23. JamesO
    Sep 16, 2008
    I saw both of these movies through Netflix on separate occasions. I thought Planet Terror was awesome, but Death Proof was completely awful. Seriously, what's so great about a movie where 75 minutes of the film is dialogue between a bunch of women who talk about absolutely nothing (e.g. their daily lives, their occupations, their boyfriends, etc.)?! I don't get it. Planet I saw both of these movies through Netflix on separate occasions. I thought Planet Terror was awesome, but Death Proof was completely awful. Seriously, what's so great about a movie where 75 minutes of the film is dialogue between a bunch of women who talk about absolutely nothing (e.g. their daily lives, their occupations, their boyfriends, etc.)?! I don't get it. Planet Terror, on the other hand, was radical in every respect and didn't try and pretend to be something it wasn't: that is, a balls to the wall zombie/action movie. Tarantino is a highly regarded director by both critics and the public, but with this one he just fails miserably. I'd give Planet Terror an 8 and Death Proof a 0. So, using the power of averages, the overall score for Grindhouse comes out to a 4. Expand
  24. f308gt
    Aug 26, 2008
    The best bits = Rose McGowan and especially the soundtrack of Planet Terror. The worst bits = Tracie Thoms and the fact she lived (unforgivable) Planet Terror. Rose McGowan and especially the soundtrack were the best bits of a sexy, witty and enjoyable film. The timing of the dodgy movie craft missing reels etc. was spot on
  25. TK
    Jul 30, 2008
    Great movies from 2 great directors, Rodriguez and Tarantino have their own, imo cool styles in story. Good actors, and a film thats actually senseless, but still so cool to watch. and the cars in death proof are like dreams of my sleepless nights. Actors are great, too!
  26. John
    Jul 28, 2008
    Trailers were great. I was really excited to see this. But it was just not good. I loved Pulp Fiction. But people talking in cars for 90 minutes. Why wasn't I warned? The king has no clothes metacritics. You are usually reliable. Put this with Titanic and Independence Day as movies that were just bad, but no one wants to look uncool so they say they are edgy. I love edgy, this was Trailers were great. I was really excited to see this. But it was just not good. I loved Pulp Fiction. But people talking in cars for 90 minutes. Why wasn't I warned? The king has no clothes metacritics. You are usually reliable. Put this with Titanic and Independence Day as movies that were just bad, but no one wants to look uncool so they say they are edgy. I love edgy, this was just a snooze. Made for TV at best. Expand
  27. johnf
    Jul 3, 2008
    I don't think what people realize is that these movies are supposed to be bad reliving the old days of an actual grindhouse movie. Planet Terror was one of the greatest zombie movies I've ever seen and the car chase's and buildup to Death Proof was phenomenal. It might've been 3 and a half hours long but I could watch this over and over again. Every trailer had the I don't think what people realize is that these movies are supposed to be bad reliving the old days of an actual grindhouse movie. Planet Terror was one of the greatest zombie movies I've ever seen and the car chase's and buildup to Death Proof was phenomenal. It might've been 3 and a half hours long but I could watch this over and over again. Every trailer had the theatre laughing with the most frightened looks on their faces, (watch Don't and Thanksgiving and you'll see why). The point of the movies are the mindless violence and exploitation so if people are saying that the movie was bad because of this then it had succeeded because thats what it was looking for. I was on the edge of my seat the entire night either scared as all hell or laughing as hard as I can. Expand
  28. RandyM.
    Jun 28, 2008
    A fascinating homage to exploitation movies. "Death Proof" was particularly fun to watch.
  29. thedude
    Apr 17, 2008
    Great movie. You can watch it as it was shown in theatres (both movies together, with fake trailers) on Starz On Demand.
  30. MikeC.
    Mar 31, 2008
    garbage, absolute rubbish. tarintino needs to go back to the drawing board and realise what was good about pulp fiction, jackie brown, resovoir dogs and the like was the fact that they were more than just mindless violence. hes trying to hard to be retro and harking bk to old horror flicks but failing miserably
  31. fsafasfafdgdfgfger3
    Mar 23, 2008
    This double feature was overall pretty poor. The best parts, with out doubt, were the trailers. I loved 'Machete' and everything about that two minute clip was gold. "Planet Terror" took a little while to heat up and for the first half I was seriously contemplating leaving as I was that bored. However after a sex scene stops abruptly due to 'lost footage', the movie This double feature was overall pretty poor. The best parts, with out doubt, were the trailers. I loved 'Machete' and everything about that two minute clip was gold. "Planet Terror" took a little while to heat up and for the first half I was seriously contemplating leaving as I was that bored. However after a sex scene stops abruptly due to 'lost footage', the movie becomes an entertaining and over the top gory horror comedy. Even the terribly cliche characters and intentionally bad dialogue works well in both mimicking the zombie - genre films and in achieving laughs from the audience. The film carries Robert Rodriguez's trade mark of over the top gore, wacky and comedic violence and pretty outrageous and funny characters. Quentin Tarantino's 'Death Proof' starts mundane and ends pretty much the same way. A poor attempt of trying to mimick the the slasher / thriller genre. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were clearly Tarantino's pinnacle in script writing, as they were packed with cleverly well written dialogue. Jackie Brown was a bit long winded and Kill Bill Vol.1 and 2 were pretty much a waste of time, with some fun action but poor and unlikeable characters and useless and drawn-out banter. Death Proof marks Tarantino's fall as a great script writer. More or less the movie focuses on two seperate groups of 4 girls girls. The first four girls hang around a bar and just talk endlessly about scoring weed, their boyfriends, lapdances and their opinion of the movie's antagonist , Mike the Stuntsman, who is hanging around the bar. The dialogue is completely unintelligent and pointless and the characters poorly developed. The second half focuses on a completely unrelated group of girls and their attempts of trying to convince a man in allowing them to test - ride his car. Overall there's maybe around 10 minutes worth of action in Death Proof and it's atrociously bad, mainly involving the antagonist purposely crashing his car into victims or knock them off the road. It takes absolutely no inspiration from similiar and much better movies, such as Spielberg's 'Dual'. This is without doubt the most boring thriller / slasher movie ever made and overall 'Death Proof' truly deserves its total score of 0 (the score of 4 was given to Planet Terror only, while Death Proof doesn't deserve anything). Both movies were also plagued by Tarantino's presence, as he played semi - leads. In Terror Planet he played a zombie with a lot of dialogue, but his voice is far too soft and feminine to play this badass, touchy and aggresive character. In Death Proof he played a bar owner and clearly demonstrated his poor acting ability. Overall Rodriguez's Planet Terror get's 4 / 5, as it was a bit slow to begin with but overall was more satisfying and fun than most zombie movies preceding it. Death Proof gets 0 as it was one of the worst movies I've seen in years, a thriller that doesn't even fulfill the basic criteria of it's genre - lots of action and not too much discussion. Even then the level of dialogue would have been fine if it was interesting, but it wasn't, instead maintaining a continuous monotonous boring drawl. Expand
  32. HelenaI
    Mar 14, 2008
    I can only talk about 'death proof'. Forget the first story and enjoy the second.
  33. LizzyS.
    Jan 19, 2008
    Trash!!!its not worth my time,and my money! Completely useless!very indecent!full of exploitation,violence,not worth seeing, I'm sorry,but that's what i think of this movie.
  34. RaynaS.
    Jan 19, 2008
    I don't like this movie,in fact i hate it!!!!! i dont see why the other users gave it 8,9 or 10?what is so fantastic about this movie?Zombie's eating flesh?!!!wow.that's really awesome!!! i personally gave it a 0 mark because for me its a trash!!! ok,its a horror,but can't we have a decent horror movie?(yuck!!!)the acting,the dialogue etc!what is it the others I don't like this movie,in fact i hate it!!!!! i dont see why the other users gave it 8,9 or 10?what is so fantastic about this movie?Zombie's eating flesh?!!!wow.that's really awesome!!! i personally gave it a 0 mark because for me its a trash!!! ok,its a horror,but can't we have a decent horror movie?(yuck!!!)the acting,the dialogue etc!what is it the others comment?funny and great?it surely was!!! Expand
  35. SomeGuy
    Dec 26, 2007
    Unlike most Australians, I got to see the full Grindhouse double feature in a special screening. My question is, why didn't the Weinsteins just release the film as it was intended, when it was intended (April 30)? The cinema was packed on the second last day of screening so clearly I'm not the only person who wanted to see this film. Personally, I loved the double feature, I Unlike most Australians, I got to see the full Grindhouse double feature in a special screening. My question is, why didn't the Weinsteins just release the film as it was intended, when it was intended (April 30)? The cinema was packed on the second last day of screening so clearly I'm not the only person who wanted to see this film. Personally, I loved the double feature, I thought it was just pure fun and a great night out. Planet Terror was the best part of the package, a ridiculously fun, over-the-top action film with a decent plot and a wonderfully realised visual style. Cherry was a great character too, I just wanted to reach out and give her a hug. The fake trailers were fantastic, they set the mood perfectly and had me in stitches (though the Werewolf Women one was a bit too random). Death Proof was pretty much a sucky film with a couple of good lines. Sure, it was a tribute to a time period where many films were 3/4 talking and 1/4 action, but the film didn't look degraded like PT (it was mostly shown in perfect picture quality) which killed the feeling of watching a film from the 70s (which was really the only thing that could have saved it). It's like Tarantino half-assed the visual style and half-assed the film (and I am a big Tarantino fan), whereas Rodriguez nailed the visual style while making a tight film that I think could be enjoyed on it's own. I feel sorry for fellow Aussies like Douglas B who only got to see DP on it's own, that must have sucked. It's not so bad when watched as part of the package, but without PT and the fake trailers it just seems like a boring load of nothing. If the Weinsteins wanted to make money back on this film, why did they wait until all the hype had died down, and then release only the worst part of the feature seemingly out of nowhere? Yeah, that'll bring people to the cinema in droves! If they weren't going to release the double feature, they should have at least shown the seperate films (BOTH of them, not just DP) in June or July while everyone was still talking about them and hyped up for them. And I bet Planet Terror would have made way more money than Death Proof, yet it's not scheduled to be be released here at all! Expand
  36. JB
    Dec 24, 2007
    Plain out genius.
  37. AlecB.
    Nov 21, 2007
    OK first off the 8 points are towards Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror movie because that was the only movie that was entertaining and funny...Death proof just plain out freakn sucked. To long and no voilence untill the very end.. If anything go rent Planet Terror its a fun movie for a saturday night you wont be dissapointed.. but dont rent Death proof b/c youll fall asleep 40 OK first off the 8 points are towards Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror movie because that was the only movie that was entertaining and funny...Death proof just plain out freakn sucked. To long and no voilence untill the very end.. If anything go rent Planet Terror its a fun movie for a saturday night you wont be dissapointed.. but dont rent Death proof b/c youll fall asleep 40 minutes into the movie Expand
  38. EricS.
    Nov 20, 2007
    I'm not gonna lie, I was super-pumped to see this movie. I thought it was going to be amazingly fun as the PR had me believe. Christ, was I wrong. PLANET TERROR was the first half, the better half, and essentially consisted of B-movie zombie gore and occasional biting (no pun intended) humor. Ok, not bad, nice job Rodriguez. The pseudo-trailers were entertaining, and wonderfully I'm not gonna lie, I was super-pumped to see this movie. I thought it was going to be amazingly fun as the PR had me believe. Christ, was I wrong. PLANET TERROR was the first half, the better half, and essentially consisted of B-movie zombie gore and occasional biting (no pun intended) humor. Ok, not bad, nice job Rodriguez. The pseudo-trailers were entertaining, and wonderfully over-the-top. At this point I should have left--had I, I would have walked out nodding my head thinking that Grindhouse was actually decent. Unfortunately that wasn't that case. DEATH PROOF was garbage. Complete and utter garbage. What happened Tarantino? PULP FICTION (among others) was phenomenal! And now nonsense about girls driving around angrily spewing pointless and inane dialogue chasing after Kurt Russell? Honesly My level of respect for Quentin just dropped a good dozen notches. My advice to anyone intent on watching Grindhouse: enjoy the first (enjoyable/disgusting) half, stay for the previews, skip the second half. PLANET TERROR: 6. DEATH PROOF: 0. Don't blow your time on this--toss it in the junk heap and go watch Reservoir Dogs. Expand
  39. GeoffB.
    Nov 15, 2007
    The extended version is worth seeing, with the development and conversatinal payoffs that the theatrical realease lacked.
  40. A.Nonymous
    Nov 15, 2007
    I've only seen Deathproof, but it pains me to see that so many delusional people never understood Grindhouse. It's a homage to Grindhouse movies, and as such it is shot in that deliberate style. Deathproof may not be the most action-packed, fast-paced race-em-up this side of NASCAR, but it's an enjoyably slow ride. The characters develop, the villain degrades and the I've only seen Deathproof, but it pains me to see that so many delusional people never understood Grindhouse. It's a homage to Grindhouse movies, and as such it is shot in that deliberate style. Deathproof may not be the most action-packed, fast-paced race-em-up this side of NASCAR, but it's an enjoyably slow ride. The characters develop, the villain degrades and the tension builds until it explodes into a car chase. Intensely atmosphere, incredibly brilliant. It's nice to know that atleast some directors like Tarantino and Rodriguez have the balls to swim upwater. Expand
  41. HumbertoB
    Nov 14, 2007
    I was recently watching an interview with Tarantino where he compared his dialogue with Shakespeare. Is that some kind of sick joke? There's Twelfth Night and then there's four girls screaming "I'M A KICK ASS BLACK CHICK! WHOOOOO!" the entire film and a stoned Eli Roth in the background chuckling at the dialogue he probably wrote and Tarantino stole. Tarantino and Rodriguez I was recently watching an interview with Tarantino where he compared his dialogue with Shakespeare. Is that some kind of sick joke? There's Twelfth Night and then there's four girls screaming "I'M A KICK ASS BLACK CHICK! WHOOOOO!" the entire film and a stoned Eli Roth in the background chuckling at the dialogue he probably wrote and Tarantino stole. Tarantino and Rodriguez think that by using a camera more expensive than all of Hal Hartley's movies combined they can hide their Nashville-playground hillbilly dialogue but they can't. But they've shown us one thing they can do, pay off the critics. Expand
  42. FrancoisL.
    Nov 12, 2007
    Both movie lacks pretty much everything except it has its moments...Planet Terror had about 2 funny moments and the rest of the movie was a pointless massacre, no story and quite boring. As far as Deathproof goes, the famous car chase was pretty awesome, other than that it had its moments but the dialogues are really long. Even though the actors are really good in both movies, Planet Both movie lacks pretty much everything except it has its moments...Planet Terror had about 2 funny moments and the rest of the movie was a pointless massacre, no story and quite boring. As far as Deathproof goes, the famous car chase was pretty awesome, other than that it had its moments but the dialogues are really long. Even though the actors are really good in both movies, Planet Terror is still horrible while Deathproof is somewhat very good except for some long dialogues. Anyway, I do not recommend Planet Terror to anyone. Expand
  43. JosephD.
    Nov 10, 2007
    the characters arent as strong ,compared to his pryor movies, with the exception exception of the dark skinned girl in the second part,she was great. kurt russell was decent.
  44. UncleDougBigelow
    Nov 9, 2007
    Trash. Both of them. I'm so sick of Tarantino and all of his overrated/shallow "films". Rodriguez is starting to piss me off too. Anything's better than this.
  45. DouglasB.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Death Proof is simply terrible, to top it of, you folks in America got it as part of a double feature called "Grindhouse" here in Australia we got it as a separate film entirely, which is probably why it seems even worse. I can't believe it, so much useless dialog, no back story, no story in general, just 2 action sequences that are separated by 14 months and a long prelude of dialog Death Proof is simply terrible, to top it of, you folks in America got it as part of a double feature called "Grindhouse" here in Australia we got it as a separate film entirely, which is probably why it seems even worse. I can't believe it, so much useless dialog, no back story, no story in general, just 2 action sequences that are separated by 14 months and a long prelude of dialog before each one, between 2 separate groups of women. When the ending suddenly came, i felt robbed of my time and money. I'm even more pissed with the trailer for the movie, the way it was edited, it made the film look like a full throttle action movie. I can't believe this is the work of the same guy who made Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill Vol. 1 & Vol. 2. movie structure: Part 1: Group of girls - lots of useless talking Random action moment Part 2 14 months later New group of girls - lots of talking (even more than the first time round) Random action sequence no back story, no story in general. terrible, you've been warned, screw what the critics are saying. Expand
  46. NotbrainwashedB.
    Oct 28, 2007
    To anyone not brainwashed by the pr around these two egomaniacal directors who surround themselves only with sycophants who won't tell them their this is garbage: we all know that these two "films" are worthless. Saying, "that's the point!" is no excuse. From the standpoint of fundamental storytelling, these films are garbage. The dialogue and directing/cinematography take a To anyone not brainwashed by the pr around these two egomaniacal directors who surround themselves only with sycophants who won't tell them their this is garbage: we all know that these two "films" are worthless. Saying, "that's the point!" is no excuse. From the standpoint of fundamental storytelling, these films are garbage. The dialogue and directing/cinematography take a creators' SELF-INDULGENCE to sinful, shameful levels. Shame on Tarantino and Rodriguez and all who sweat them while blinded to their masturbatory film-making. It's like these two tools who never got a girl until their careers took off are behind their cameras saying, "YEAH, LOOK HOW COOL THIS SHOT IS!!!" Who wants to watch reams of footage of some homely chicks (no, being on camera does not automatically make you attractive) babbling about inane topics? Tarantino's dialogue scenes are not "slices of real life," they are self-indulgent tangents that bore and drag and do not advance a story at all. They do not make us know or like the characters at all. Having a full conversation while hanging out a speeding car windshield? And PLANET TERROR? What kind of lowbrow gore toilet-bowl flick was that? Just think about it: a machine gun for a leg. Any 12 yr old boy can hatch an idea like that. Not every 12 yr old boy has agents and an enabling system of jockers. The fact these flicks made relatively no money shows at least the masses weren't too fooled. Quentin's produced Nathan since Pulp (which he cowrote) and Rodriguez should stick to kid flicks as he's never made a tight joint in his life. Sin City? Please. Incoherent drivel. Try King of New York or Warriors or French Connection or Pan's Labyrinth if you want to see a movie, just off the cuff. Toss these, Kill Bill, Jackie Brown, and Sin City in the boring and incoherent bin. Expand
  47. MelissaW.
    Oct 24, 2007
    Death Proof was such a surprise treat. Tarantino had some fantastic dialogue and amazing action. The car chase was amazing -- kudos to Zoe Bell -- she is incredible.
  48. BradR
    Oct 21, 2007
    Death Proof was Awful. The only saving grace was the action scenes of which there were two, Kurt Russell lines were genius. The second half of the movie is what killed it. The movie goes on forever with a group of girls talking about nothing interesting the whole time I was waiting for kurt russel to kill all of them. Tracie Thomas' character was extremely annoying. It was a blatant Death Proof was Awful. The only saving grace was the action scenes of which there were two, Kurt Russell lines were genius. The second half of the movie is what killed it. The movie goes on forever with a group of girls talking about nothing interesting the whole time I was waiting for kurt russel to kill all of them. Tracie Thomas' character was extremely annoying. It was a blatant attempt to recreate a female version samuel jackson from pulp fiction, and it failed horribly. Expand
  49. ZackS.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Awful. Tarantino, already the most self indulgent, ego stroking filmmaker, takes it up a notch. It consists of girls talking for the entire movie with two action scenes. If only he were clever, or talented, or produce anything worth watching. Easily the most overrated talent of his generation proves again that critics don't know what they are talking about.
  50. AlanS.
    Oct 15, 2007
    Loved the double feature!!!
  51. Danny
    Oct 11, 2007
    Deathproof flipped my mind i absolutely loved it, a great, for the most part understated flick apart from the couple of 'grindhouse' moments. Planet Terror on the other hand was such a snooze. and friends disagree with me but there was nothing inspiring about it at all, Tarantinos was sweaty, slow and poetic where Rodriguez was all done before in some other way, tongue-in-cheek Deathproof flipped my mind i absolutely loved it, a great, for the most part understated flick apart from the couple of 'grindhouse' moments. Planet Terror on the other hand was such a snooze. and friends disagree with me but there was nothing inspiring about it at all, Tarantinos was sweaty, slow and poetic where Rodriguez was all done before in some other way, tongue-in-cheek zombie rubbish with jokes that go nowhere at all and sets that look hastily fabricated. Tarantino's started off terribly actually with the girls in the car but reveals itself as this wonderful twisted stoner piece of art that ends with a cheer! yay loved it! the 10 is for Quentin. Expand
  52. MorganG.
    Oct 9, 2007
    Overall, it's a fantastically brilliant film. I'd say Death Proof was rubbish, but it really wasn't. It was okay. It just seems rubbish right after watching the brilliance of Planet Terror. If they'd have put Deaht Proof first, then Planet Terror, it would have been loads better. It's still the best film ever made though.
  53. Travis
    Oct 9, 2007
    Better than I expected but not great Tarantino is master with his soundtracks and provided an entertaining movie.
  54. Eldon
    Oct 2, 2007
    I give it a 2 for the first 10 minutes alone. And, as as been finely noted, what the hell happened to the rest of the movie?! Sheesh! And I have to say that in the end, it IS NOT worth it. I don't want to feel that way, but I did and do. And how can you, when choosing to cast Zoe Bell, give her all that dialogue?? My god she sucked the life right out of all the dialogue. I guess that I give it a 2 for the first 10 minutes alone. And, as as been finely noted, what the hell happened to the rest of the movie?! Sheesh! And I have to say that in the end, it IS NOT worth it. I don't want to feel that way, but I did and do. And how can you, when choosing to cast Zoe Bell, give her all that dialogue?? My god she sucked the life right out of all the dialogue. I guess that may have been the "intention" of Tarantino, to have it be bad acting. But next to say, Dawson, she truly stinks up the place and I could just see the veil dropping over and over again until I was out of it all together. That is not doing your job as a director... it doesn't work man, it just doesn't. Lame. Expand
  55. RippedOff
    Oct 1, 2007
    I am growing tired of Tarantino's self indulgent attempts to recapture the magic of Pulp Fiction...with clever dialogue between edgy buddies! I have time to watch one movie a week...and just wasted it on this crap!!!!
  56. MojoPiN
    Sep 28, 2007
    It's a simple flick, and it's an all around good time. Nothing more to it than that but at the end of the day it's what counts.
  57. TylerDrainville
    Sep 27, 2007
    Pretty enjoyable movie. Not amazing, but it was very entertaining. Props to Quinten for the final scene being kick-ass. Literally.
  58. NopieT.
    Sep 27, 2007
    Seems like Tarantino really polarizes audiences. I've loved all of Tarantino's previous movies but lots of my friends dislike them all intensely. "Death Proof" is probably my least favorite Tarantino film but, for me, it's still a lot more fun than most of the product out there. Kurt Russell was truly excellent, and watching Zoe Bell really do all those stunts was cool. The Seems like Tarantino really polarizes audiences. I've loved all of Tarantino's previous movies but lots of my friends dislike them all intensely. "Death Proof" is probably my least favorite Tarantino film but, for me, it's still a lot more fun than most of the product out there. Kurt Russell was truly excellent, and watching Zoe Bell really do all those stunts was cool. The film reminded me very much of "Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill!" but with big butts rather than big boobs. As Robert Forster said in "Jackie Brown", "Ain't nothing wrong with that." Expand
  59. SamK.
    Sep 27, 2007
    I agree with what Joey said. The movie was a complete waste of money, and I only rented it. For all the hype about Tarantino's 70's-esque direction and arty-stylish production, the dialogue is painfully boring, the plot non-sensical and the end result the destruction of two perfectly good Mopar muscle cars. And all for what? Is it trendy to watch a Tarantino movie?? Absolutely. I agree with what Joey said. The movie was a complete waste of money, and I only rented it. For all the hype about Tarantino's 70's-esque direction and arty-stylish production, the dialogue is painfully boring, the plot non-sensical and the end result the destruction of two perfectly good Mopar muscle cars. And all for what? Is it trendy to watch a Tarantino movie?? Absolutely. Will this movie have a cult following because it's a Tarantino movie? For sure. Was it any good? No, it sucked huge balls. Kill Bill and Jackie Brown were way better if you're looking for a girl-power movie, which this tried to be. I think Tarantino's been smoking too many banana leaves... Expand
  60. NathanielD.
    Sep 24, 2007
    I also rented Deathproof and high hopes - but the first disappoint was that post-theater consumers were going to have to rent both movies individually. I knew going into it that the pacing was going to be very slow, but I thought it would all be worth it in the end. It wasn't. If you're someone who's convinced you're going to like this no matter what and just know I also rented Deathproof and high hopes - but the first disappoint was that post-theater consumers were going to have to rent both movies individually. I knew going into it that the pacing was going to be very slow, but I thought it would all be worth it in the end. It wasn't. If you're someone who's convinced you're going to like this no matter what and just know it's going to be a 'masterpiece' in cinema, you'll probably like it. But for those who are on the fence or unsure, prepare for a bore. I didn't think the action scenes in Death Proof were disturbing at all, and the whole film is mostly a girl-power thrill ride, complete with what must be over an hour of high-school slumber party dialogue. I also feel that Tarantino completely missed the mark in getting the film to have that classic cheesy feel and pay proper tribute. It looked more like they tried to make what was supposed to be a bad movie good, and the results didn't satisfy. Hopefully Planet Terror will be more fun. Expand
  61. LR.
    Sep 24, 2007
    I was going to tell you how i feel about this movie but joey summed it up the only thing i can add is you can skip chapters till you see cars driving. if you do this you will enjoy this movie all 15 minutes of it.
  62. FrankD.
    Sep 24, 2007
    Have only seen "Death Proof,"but it far exceeded my expectations. I'm not not a die-hard Tarantino fan -- LOVE "Jackie Brown" and "Pulp Fiction," but dislike "Kill Bill." This one pays campy homage, but is a movie that also stands on its own as great entertainment. the casting is perfect, and an AMAZING performance from Kurt Russell. Every element comes together to produce a winning Have only seen "Death Proof,"but it far exceeded my expectations. I'm not not a die-hard Tarantino fan -- LOVE "Jackie Brown" and "Pulp Fiction," but dislike "Kill Bill." This one pays campy homage, but is a movie that also stands on its own as great entertainment. the casting is perfect, and an AMAZING performance from Kurt Russell. Every element comes together to produce a winning (and winking) cinematic experience. BRAVO! Expand
  63. NilsK.
    Sep 23, 2007
    Well in order to enjoy this movie you'll have to belong to a very limited group of people. I read the reviews about this movie, witch described it as a superb movie. Well let's just say I was VERY disappointed after watching this movie. The movie has no story line whatsoever, basicly you see a group of people talking about random things and experiencing random ( uninteresting ) Well in order to enjoy this movie you'll have to belong to a very limited group of people. I read the reviews about this movie, witch described it as a superb movie. Well let's just say I was VERY disappointed after watching this movie. The movie has no story line whatsoever, basicly you see a group of people talking about random things and experiencing random ( uninteresting ) things, and then they get killed. Then you see another group of people again talking about random things and again experiencing random things, the psycho tries to kill them too but fails, and then gets chased by these girls in an over the top ridiculously stupid catchphrase. Thats it. The whole story in 3 seconds. There's nothing more to it, the whole movie is made out of 1:15 hours of random chitchat and 15 minutes of ridiculously over the top action. I advise you to not even give this a rent. The masterly director that Quentin is ( or at least was ) shows nowhere and I mean nowhere in this movie. I expect the only reason why this movie gets such good reviews is because it was directed by Tarantino and we wouldn't dare to diss him would we now, nah this movie sucks donkey dick. Collapse
  64. ShawnF.
    Sep 22, 2007
    Best movie ever made ever its got gore, muscle cars and hot chicks like i said best movie ever made ever.
  65. JoeyD.
    Sep 20, 2007
    Rented Deathproof. Starts off with some cool 70's stylishness, but then slowly...slowly...ever so slowly turns into a complete bore. This is by far the most dull movies I've ever seen. If you rent this, save yourself some time by just fast forwarding through the tedious dialog. You won't miss a thing. Just get to the action scenes. All in all, there's only about 15 Rented Deathproof. Starts off with some cool 70's stylishness, but then slowly...slowly...ever so slowly turns into a complete bore. This is by far the most dull movies I've ever seen. If you rent this, save yourself some time by just fast forwarding through the tedious dialog. You won't miss a thing. Just get to the action scenes. All in all, there's only about 15 minutes of action and entertainment in the entire film. Expand
  66. RossC.
    Sep 20, 2007
    Most overrated piece of crap movie I have ever seen. The dialog is terrible, the characters are annoying, and this is not a Grindhouse horror flick.
  67. ZekeC.
    Sep 17, 2007
    This movie was alright but I was very disappointed. With the status of great cult movies like Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill I expected this to be a new classic from a master film maker-instead what I saw was an hour and a half of meaningless girl talk with two half exiting parts. I would say this is a rent and nothing more.
  68. GabeG.
    Jul 4, 2007
    This is by far the greatest movie experience imaginable. If you didn't have a chance to view it in theatres at least watch it on dvd with the lights low and try to mimic the theatre experience, this is the only way to even coming close to getting the experience that those who watched in theatres got. I warn you to brace yourself for the greatest cinematic adventure fathomable.
  69. Phill
    Jun 23, 2007
    I really enjoyed the none-stop thrilling action of the first, the wonderful previews through both, and the super awesome car scene second. Sure, not for the faint of heart; but a great movie none-the-less.
  70. JoelC.
    Jun 21, 2007
    Wow once again, Tarantino and ... Rodriguez? did it. I hope they work together in the future. No need to rate this movie, I just hope it gets the positive criticism it deserves. Kick asphalt movie. Just see it and, relax (two movies in one) grab a snack, and enjoy some "original" b-movie movies.
  71. OlegM.
    Jun 14, 2007
    It's the enjoyable experience despite of poorly thoutht out intermissions. But the project was so much fun for the organizers, they couldn't - I guess - contain themselves. Overall, surely worth the money and time... Enjoy.
  72. ATRISKTEEN
    May 31, 2007
    Purely indulgent junk, sounding the death knell on two once-promising filmmakers now becoming smug, self-parodic shells of their former selves. Tarantino has become embalmed in his alleged cool cache & his dialogue gets more interminably precious with each new film. Worthless.
  73. BryanE.
    May 20, 2007
    This movie was so over-the top, nothing can prepare you for this movie but I loved every minute of it. I don't understand how people can say it was boring with all that they showed, zombies, blood and gore, awesome car chases. Rodriguez and Tarantino have done it again and I hope they continue to work together in the future.
  74. KenG.
    May 17, 2007
    There seems to be a lot of disagreement among the critics and others as to who made the better movie, Rodriguez or Tarantino, but the fact is, neither one did a good job. Rodriguez got so carried away with the idea of making a "bad" movie, that he actually wound up with a bad movie, rather than a clever, funny imitation of that type of "bad" movie. His movie is a mess, and the fact that There seems to be a lot of disagreement among the critics and others as to who made the better movie, Rodriguez or Tarantino, but the fact is, neither one did a good job. Rodriguez got so carried away with the idea of making a "bad" movie, that he actually wound up with a bad movie, rather than a clever, funny imitation of that type of "bad" movie. His movie is a mess, and the fact that it was an intentional mess, is not enough to make it work. On the other hand Tarantino really didn't seem that interested in this project. He seemed much more interested in doing his version of a chick flick, with all the non-stop gab (much of it uninteresting, no matter how much the critics drool over it) that seems to go on forever. The action just seems to be tacked on to fullfill his obligation to the project. Between the 2, I'd say Rodriguez did the better job, simply because he was more into the spirit of the project. But the only thing in the movie that was done well, well the previews. I also wasn't impressed with the intentionally shabby feel of the films, for 2 reasons. One is that I gotta think it's not hard to capture that feel. The other reason is that much of the charm of the old shabbily done films they are copying is that those films weren't done shabbily on purpose. By being shabby on purpose they are cutting the charm out of it. They are trying to capture an effect that you really can't, at least not intentionally. Expand
  75. BrianS.
    May 13, 2007
    My wife and I both loved this movie! To try to review this movie would be stupid. It' s just pure non-sensical fun, a throwback to when people did stunts and footage of one explosion was used multiple times to save money. Not like today where everything is computer animated. Go see it without expectations and an open mind - you'll like it alot.
  76. StevenS.
    May 11, 2007
    I'm disappointed in everyone who has insulted these movies. Most of the bad reviews, I've noticed, have come from people who DON'T GET IT. Planet Terror - Brilliant in every way and plays off every cliche in Grindhouse films with an astoundingly ferocious brilliance. It's not a parody - it's a loving homage to the wonderful cult classic Grindhouse films of the I'm disappointed in everyone who has insulted these movies. Most of the bad reviews, I've noticed, have come from people who DON'T GET IT. Planet Terror - Brilliant in every way and plays off every cliche in Grindhouse films with an astoundingly ferocious brilliance. It's not a parody - it's a loving homage to the wonderful cult classic Grindhouse films of the past. Death Proof - Not only does Tarantino manage to create a genre all by his freaking self but he makes it seem like it too is a loving homage to the non-existant genre that he has created. The dialogue is his best work since Pulp Fiction. All in all, this was the most entertained I've ever been at a theatre. Expand
  77. BenW
    May 11, 2007
    People who give this a bad review are really missing the point. Anyone who's seen the films this is spoofing should love this. Both sections are pure gold.
  78. DarrenL.
    May 11, 2007
    Just an outstanding movie experience. All of the fake trailers were very good, except for Rob Zombie's, which just wasn't up to par. The first film, Planet Terror is funny and entertaining, but Death Proof is just plain outstanding.
  79. JoelM.
    May 8, 2007
    This movie is so much fun to watch, it's gory, it's hilarious, it's plotless, it's brilliant. This is totally a guy's movie, the guy flick of the year, SO much better than 300. I thought the zombie movie was good but Death Proof is awesome, Tarantino's film is hilarious. Really a collective effort that is just a lot of fun to watch. Walk in with an open mind, This movie is so much fun to watch, it's gory, it's hilarious, it's plotless, it's brilliant. This is totally a guy's movie, the guy flick of the year, SO much better than 300. I thought the zombie movie was good but Death Proof is awesome, Tarantino's film is hilarious. Really a collective effort that is just a lot of fun to watch. Walk in with an open mind, and you will love it. Expand
  80. PatrickC.
    May 7, 2007
    The best thing about Grindhouse is the fake trailers, which are farely cool. Planet Terror is the better of the two but still a poor version of Dawn of the Dead. Death Proof is just bad. The whole movie feels rushed and over done. Quentin Tarantino has finally missed the mark. A mark which he has hit several times with Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and my personal favorite, Reservoir Dogs. The best thing about Grindhouse is the fake trailers, which are farely cool. Planet Terror is the better of the two but still a poor version of Dawn of the Dead. Death Proof is just bad. The whole movie feels rushed and over done. Quentin Tarantino has finally missed the mark. A mark which he has hit several times with Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and my personal favorite, Reservoir Dogs. Please don't waste your time and money and go see this movie in theaters. All this movie deserves is space thirteen on your Netflix Quota. Expand
  81. BillW.
    May 6, 2007
    Planet Terror was 20 minutes too long. Death Proof was about an hour too long. Granted, I watched it during a matinee, so there were only 5 others when the movie started, but I was the only one left when it was over. Planet Terror is a sometimes funny zombie gore-fest, but you can only be entertained by that for so long before it starts to get dull. Death Proof just drags and drags. Planet Terror was 20 minutes too long. Death Proof was about an hour too long. Granted, I watched it during a matinee, so there were only 5 others when the movie started, but I was the only one left when it was over. Planet Terror is a sometimes funny zombie gore-fest, but you can only be entertained by that for so long before it starts to get dull. Death Proof just drags and drags. Tarantino trys to get by with his great dialogue again, but it's just not there this time and the first hour of the movie is just puttering along trying to set up but the big car chase scene at the end. No car chase is worth sitting through an hour of absolutely nothing happening. Expand
  82. PG.
    May 2, 2007
    This was the most entertaining 3 hours ever spent in a movie theatre. Finally someone is making movies and having some fun! Freddy R. is awesome in it and he should get more lead roles. Go see it if you enjoy something funny and bad-azz.
  83. Tyleru
    May 1, 2007
    planet terror was alright. death proof sucked though
  84. Boanc
    May 1, 2007
    Jeez! Having to suffer thru that lame zombie movie was the worst. Very unoriginal gorefest, and mediocre in every way. Boring, boring, boring. Deathproof much better, but still not great. I knew I had made a mistake when I found myself to be one of TWO people in the theater. But I doggedly persevered, thus piling on wasting my time to wasting my money.
  85. Moo
    Apr 29, 2007
    I really liked those Tarantino's and Rodriguez' in the 90ies. They were charming, funny, intelligent and very gory. There was a lot of reference to those trashy 70ies movies. But with all that reference in mind they still had fresh ideas like "From Dusk Till Dawn". Nowadays they pay respect to those crappy zombie/killer movies no one wanted to watch in the 70ies and 80ies. And I really liked those Tarantino's and Rodriguez' in the 90ies. They were charming, funny, intelligent and very gory. There was a lot of reference to those trashy 70ies movies. But with all that reference in mind they still had fresh ideas like "From Dusk Till Dawn". Nowadays they pay respect to those crappy zombie/killer movies no one wanted to watch in the 70ies and 80ies. And believe me, there are a lot of good ones no one has seen yet. But what's the use of paying respect to movies no one wanted to watch then? ...it seems they wanna watch it now and think it's fun... Go ahead and have fun! But i didn't laugh at any scene in any of those two features... The trailers were fun! They should have made movies like those instead!!!!! I hope the future holds a little more to come for both directors... Something with more... sense. Expand
  86. MrPug
    Apr 27, 2007
    Tarantino will have to come up with something new for his next film as his pretty much dried out the whole retro old film fad. Some of the dialogue for this film was awful.. it was as if tarantino and his buddies were sitting around the table getting high and thinking..wouldn't this be cool .. lets do this.. take these wacky ideas and make it into a movie.
  87. JonathanF.
    Apr 27, 2007
    Hilarious. Crazy exciting. One of the best movie-going experiences I've had in years.
  88. StedmonW
    Apr 26, 2007
    Tarantino delivers some of the worst dialogue this side of The Marine starring John Cena. It took Rodriguez two movies to get away from his faded mexican in the desert trademark and now he's better than ever. When will Tarantino finally grow up and do something else besides write such long-winded and uninspired crap? Leave after Planet Terror is over and you'll get your moneys worth
  89. JH
    Apr 24, 2007
    Fans of outlandish and gory horror flicks will probably love this movie, especially Planet Terror. My wife and I enjoyed Death Proof more because it wasn't as "over the top" as Planet Terror, and girls kicking ass are cool. I wish we had waited for DVD on this one.
  90. ChrisK
    Apr 23, 2007
    Unbelievably fun. Very, very, very worth the 3+ hours and price of admission. I never wanted it to end.
  91. AlexH.
    Apr 22, 2007
    It's a shame to me that more people aren't checking this movie out. Sure it's long and yeah I can see how some people may tire of the lady dialogue in tarantinos flick but these guys had balls to make this and it ends up being a real unique movie experience. Pros: originality, death proof 's score, planet terrors characters, mock previews, Kurt Russell, awesome car It's a shame to me that more people aren't checking this movie out. Sure it's long and yeah I can see how some people may tire of the lady dialogue in tarantinos flick but these guys had balls to make this and it ends up being a real unique movie experience. Pros: originality, death proof 's score, planet terrors characters, mock previews, Kurt Russell, awesome car chases Cons: tarentino's acting, cinematography, some of the actresses in death proof weren't interesting enough for me sans Dawson, but overall it's a great movie experience and I bet it'll be a cult classic. See it in the theaters while you can. Expand
  92. SamM.
    Apr 22, 2007
    Not much to add that hasn't been said before - the fake trailers were brilliant. Planet Terror is the superior film - Rodgriguez has become the superior technical filmmaker. He still doesn't have the flair for dialogue that Tarantino has, but... Then comes Death Proof which we've taken to calling "Quentin makes up chicks who talk and act exactly the way his dream woman Not much to add that hasn't been said before - the fake trailers were brilliant. Planet Terror is the superior film - Rodgriguez has become the superior technical filmmaker. He still doesn't have the flair for dialogue that Tarantino has, but... Then comes Death Proof which we've taken to calling "Quentin makes up chicks who talk and act exactly the way his dream woman would be." Tarantino's flair for dialogue was an obvious crutch for this film. I got the distinct feeling that he wasn't all that interested in his half of the movie beyond outlining "hot chicks...Stuntman...Car Chases...reference car films that are not 'The French Connection' to show knowledge of the genre..." The Weinstein Brothers need to reel Quentin instead of letting him be this self-indulgent brat. He has good ideas, but much like "Kill Bill 1 & 2," he has developed a nasty habit of trying to cram a 100-minute story into 200 minutes... Expand
  93. MarkB.
    Apr 21, 2007
    Pastiche movies--films in which the makers attempt to communicate the themes of a past director or genre by trying to perfectly reproduce the style--aren't easy to do. Steven Soderbergh proved that last year with The Good German, a smug, contempt-oozing repay of 1940s and 50s films noir that not only got many obvious details completely wrong but committed the unforgivable sin of Pastiche movies--films in which the makers attempt to communicate the themes of a past director or genre by trying to perfectly reproduce the style--aren't easy to do. Steven Soderbergh proved that last year with The Good German, a smug, contempt-oozing repay of 1940s and 50s films noir that not only got many obvious details completely wrong but committed the unforgivable sin of reconstructing the finale of Casablanca for the purpose of sneering at it...and in doing so he made one of the absolute worst movies of this decade. However, this technique also brought us two of the decade's best and most thoroughly enjoyable films: Larry Blamire's incredibly endearing, note-perfect salute to/ parody of rock-bottom 1950s sci-fi horror, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, and Todd Haynes's passionately felt Far From Heaven, a brilliantly evoked variation on Douglas Sirk's Universal-International weepers that got me to watch Written on the Wind and imitation of Life all over again, even though I was never a big fan of either (and still am not). Well, Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino have brought us the decade's third total success of this type (or is it 3rd and 4th?) Perfectly rechanneling their formative moviegoing experiences in grindhouse theaters (decrepit moviehouses specializing in action/ horror/ exploitation double features in the 1960s and 70s), the two Miramax/ Dimension bad boys evoke a real sense of nostalgia for a moviegoing era I was fortunate enough to catch the tail end of; they actually make me miss theaters in which a few of the patrons didn't exactly make it all the way to the men's room! Rodriguez's Planet Terror recreates a low-grade zombie-attack flick while Tarantino's Death Proof fuses Russ Meyer's female-revenge saga Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! with 1974's nonstop car crasher Gone in 60 Seconds (which, as Tarantino helpfully reminds us, is NOT to be confused with the abysmal Jerry Bruckheimer-produced remake). The ongoing debate has been whose movie works better: Rodriguez's or Tarantino's? The answer is "Yep". Rodriguez loves these movies both in spite of and because of their flaws; Tarantino just plain loves them. Rodriguez's fil is a wildly over the top, luridly gore-geysering horror opus (featuring an unforgettable Rose McGowan as a go-go dancer who leads our side in the battle against the mutant undead) whose crayon-drawn characterizations, limited sets, hilariously incomprehensible "scientific explanations" and even more hilariously prodigal use of raspberry syrup are as lovingly rendered as the scratches, hisses and pops that indicate that this flick has been shipped all over the country for far too long and is suffering serious battle fatigue. (The fact that Planet Terror looks a whole lot worse than Death Proof underscores an accurate observation about grindhouse double bills: Tarantino's is the newer film and the program's star attraction, while Rodriguez's is the shopworn oldie trotted into second-feature action for the umpeenth time. The dated "topical" reference in Rodriguez's film underscores this.) Those who have complained that Death Proof, the tale of psychotic Stuntman Mike (Kurt Russell, in arguably his best form ever) and his comeuppance at the hands and gas pedal feet of a group of stuntwomen he underestimated starts out far too talky miss the point on three counts: 1.) Tarantino loves dialogue as much as Joseph L. Manckiewicz and Billy Wilder, and typically provides us with reams of it; 2.) the films he's mirroring killed time before and between action sequences with tons of it too, only not one-twentieth as inspired; and 3.) this is a revenge film, and Tarantino gets us to truly love the first four funny, free-spirited chicks before...he gets us to accept and encourage any and all means taken against their tormentor. Death Proof will also be remembered for the coolest bar and grill ever put on film, and for the onscreen, starmaking debut of Zoe Bell, who was Uma Thurman's stuntwoman in the Kill Bill movies. What a shame that by definition that role didn't allow Bell to show her face onscreen, because here she shows astonishing screen presence and a killer smile. To make the grindhouse moviegoing experience complete (almost interactive, in fact) both "features" share a few of the same actors, at least one common character, a costume prop and the same cinematic in-joke (a missing reel that contains precisely the last scene that most audiences WANT to be missing) and are backed up with four brilliant trailers for fictional coming attractions. (Yes, I said four. Not three, four. Eli Roth's contribution, Thanksgiving, is already notorious for one of its visuals, but it stems from Roth's accurate observation that slasher movies are mostly inherently misogynistic. Don't attack the messenger.) UNLIKE many of the poorly-paced C-movies Grindhouse so adoringly salutes, there's not a dull or flat moment to be found anywhere. If 1962's Lawrence of Arabia's parching desert visuals caused moviegoers to break records in soda consumption, then Grindhouse may well have the opposite effect on concession sales, causing a downtick in drink purchases if viewers are smart. Simply put, in three hours-plus of running time, Rodriguez, Tarantino and friends don't provide you with a single, viable bathroom break! Expand
  94. JasonP.
    Apr 18, 2007
    Planet Terror: A+ ||| Trailers: A+ ||| Death Proof: B+ You really have to be a fan of the 70/80's horror genre to enjoy this film. For those who take movies too seriously and don't let themselves enjoy mindless gore and violence, this film is not for you. I've always been a huge fan of zombie movies, good and bad, and Rodriguez's Planet Terror was perfection! Easily Planet Terror: A+ ||| Trailers: A+ ||| Death Proof: B+ You really have to be a fan of the 70/80's horror genre to enjoy this film. For those who take movies too seriously and don't let themselves enjoy mindless gore and violence, this film is not for you. I've always been a huge fan of zombie movies, good and bad, and Rodriguez's Planet Terror was perfection! Easily the best zombie movie I've ever seen. Not only did it have all the right elements of the genre, but it added better characters, humor, and violence than any other zombie movie out there. Tarentino's Death Proof cast did a poor job with the dialogue. The girls couldn't make the dialogue entertaining like Tarantino's previous casts from films like Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs. The car chase scene at the end was brillliant and made waiting through all the dullness worth it. The big plus of this movie was Kurt Russel's acting. I now know that Russel still has the ability to play the badass in films, which I was highly doubting since his last roles in Sky High and Miracle proved otherwise. This is Russel's best role since Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China! Expand
  95. MichaelR.
    Apr 16, 2007
    The film Grindhouse was a fun and exiting movie to go to the theater and waste my money on. It gives the B movies of the 70's drive- in's a drop kick by making the characters enjoyable and the scenes ridiculously houmorous. "Death Proof" was done very well with an action packed car chase, and other automobile terror. Most of the second movie's credit should go to Kurt The film Grindhouse was a fun and exiting movie to go to the theater and waste my money on. It gives the B movies of the 70's drive- in's a drop kick by making the characters enjoyable and the scenes ridiculously houmorous. "Death Proof" was done very well with an action packed car chase, and other automobile terror. Most of the second movie's credit should go to Kurt Russel's bone chilling acting, for I felt all the heavy dialogue dictated by the rest of the cast was a bit annoying. I thought the first feature, "Planet Terror", was more exiting than " Death Proof ", simply because of it's extreme carnage, and cool looking cast. Expand
  96. GregoryC.
    Apr 15, 2007
    This was a great double feature film with enjoyable action and very, very funny moments. Planet terror is definetley more enjoyable to watch as it shows more action and heads blowing up. Also fans of the fake movie trailers will be thrilled to know that Robert Rodriguez has decided to make a real movie Machete because of the positive feedback from fans.
    Politically correct garbage.
  98. Andy
    Apr 15, 2007
    The most fun I've had at a theater in a few years and the first 10 I'll give to a movie in that many as well.
  99. NickyB.
    Apr 15, 2007
    Absolutely Fantastic! Both segments...very different...but very, very, very, very fun!
  100. AMovieCritic
    Apr 14, 2007
    Robert Rodriguez's (Sin City) movie, "Planet Terror," is one of the best zombie movies I've ever seen. So insanely over the top and completely violent, yet also extremely funny, it had the audience CHEERING. It is an extremely fun movie and really, REALLY worked well. The best parts involve Cherry and her machine gun leg. Over the top violence with the zombies, some really Robert Rodriguez's (Sin City) movie, "Planet Terror," is one of the best zombie movies I've ever seen. So insanely over the top and completely violent, yet also extremely funny, it had the audience CHEERING. It is an extremely fun movie and really, REALLY worked well. The best parts involve Cherry and her machine gun leg. Over the top violence with the zombies, some really graphic death scenes, some really cool action, very likable characters, and AWESOME music. Plus...it's funny. It's got a real great sense of humor. It's a crowd-pleaser, designed to allow the audience to have a complete blast and we do; it's a really cool movie. Again, REALLY, REALLY great movie. Then Quentin Tarantino's "Death Proof" comes along to completely ruin the fun. This has got to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. EVER. Tarantino's movie not only does NOT, whatsoever, fit in with the whole "Grindhouse" theme they were going for, but it has no plot, it's not funny, it's not exciting...it is just horribly boring and self-indulgent. You sit there for a half hour and watch a group of stoned, drunk women sit at a bar and talk about NOTHING.......for an entire half hour. It's torture. Then, you're teased with some action, then....it stops, and you meet a new cast of women, and you have to sit through it AGAIN. It just goes on and on. Insanely boring. There's a good car chase for the final 20 minutes of the movie. But....by that point I just wanted to get the hell out of the theater. (And the audience did too.) The movie is not just bad. It's UNBEARABLE. But don't let that stop you. See Grindhouse, enjoy the fake trailers, enjoy the AMAZING "Planet Terror," but save yourself; get the hell out of there before Death Proof starts, you'll be glad you did. Looking at critic reviews, I see most preferred Death Proof; figures. The critics (once again) couldn't possibly be more out of touch with what moviegoers think. I recently read an article that blamed Grindhouse's poor box office performance on "Planet Terror" ....what a joke. Audiences will love Planet Terror. Grindhouse's films will be released separately in many countries; hopefully box office numbers will be superior for Planet Terror. Expand

1. If you were keeping score, it would be Quentin Tarantino 1, Robert Rodriguez 0.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Planet Terror delivers only momentary kicks...while Tarantino's Death Proof is a juicy, delicious treat, its pleasures stem much less from the play with genre conventions than from great dialogue and electric performances.
  3. Reviewed by: Nathan Lee
    This monumentally pointless movie is best summarized by a line from Planet Terror: "At some point in your life, you find a use for every useless talent you have." Rodriguez, Tarantino, and Co. aim for nothing more noble than to freak the funk, and it's about godd--- time. Go wasted, go stoned, go without your parents' permission. In paying homage to an obsolete form of movie culture, Grindhouse delivers a dropkick to ours.