Grown Ups

4.9

1. Jan 6, 2016
    WHAT I LIKED: It tackles some serious themes with a great light-hearted tone, the 3 main guys are all funny and their humour feels real
    WHAT I DIDNT LIKE: It's not a particularly interesting plot and the characters are fairly bland with little development
    VERDICT: It's supposed to be a fun family film and it fulfills there, but it's not particularly exciting or clever and does bore after a while
  2. May 17, 2015
    The acting from every actors is pretty bad and the movie is not funny at all.Adam Sandler is not that good of an actor and his movies are not that bad, but,this one is just plain boring and uninteresting.
  3. chw
    Jul 19, 2014
    Grown Ups has to be the third best Adam Sandler movie he's in. Grown Ups has tons of laughs and gags that occur at places that I'm overly fond of, such as waterparks and during basketball games.
  4. Mar 30, 2014
    It's with Adam Sandler, so we know the chances of it being good are a low 30%, however Grown Ups was actually one of the good ones depending on how you look at it. You can judge a book by it's cover--but you should not judge a film by It's actors.
  5. Mar 29, 2014
    Very underrated, Its a lot of fun and has quite a few good laughs, All though it is very predictable at times and
    Ssome of the laughs don't work very much.
  6. Aug 12, 2013
    The fact that this was written by Adam Sandler should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect as his movies haven't changed, or even evolved, one iota since the 90's. Unfortunately his formula, that once produced the memorable Happy Gilmore, has become increasingly tired over the years. The supporting cast are little more than stereotypes and to many of the jokes simply fall flat toThe fact that this was written by Adam Sandler should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect as his movies haven't changed, or even evolved, one iota since the 90's. Unfortunately his formula, that once produced the memorable Happy Gilmore, has become increasingly tired over the years. The supporting cast are little more than stereotypes and to many of the jokes simply fall flat to the extent that the best way to describe Grown Ups would probably be boring.

On the plus side the movies heart is certainly in the right place and there is an obvious chemistry between the main cast producing the odd funny moment. With a funnier script it is actually possible that this could have actually been quite good, but in the end Grown Ups can only really be recommended to the most diehard of Sandler fans.
  7. Jun 18, 2013
    Grown Ups barely passes in my opinion. Although it did have it's funny and touching moments, the whole movie was so determined to make the audience laugh that it would never stop throwing jokes at the audience and half of the jokes were not that funny. As for the performances, all the adult actors/actresses were great but the child actors/actresses were so bad at acting. This movie couldGrown Ups barely passes in my opinion. Although it did have it's funny and touching moments, the whole movie was so determined to make the audience laugh that it would never stop throwing jokes at the audience and half of the jokes were not that funny. As for the performances, all the adult actors/actresses were great but the child actors/actresses were so bad at acting. This movie could have been so much funnier and so much better than it was. I really hope that Grown Ups 2 is way better than this waste of time. Expand
  8. May 18, 2013
    Film connoisseurs will not sing praises for this one, but I enjoyed the movie. Recent comedies are often overly sarcastic or try to amuse with borderline distasteful scenes (e.g. Borat). Grown Ups relies on neither. It is simply made to entertain the viewer with mild-mannered good old fun and it succeeds doing that.
  9. Jan 28, 2013
    A movie for complete idiots. Actors seem so lazy acting outs there parts it is unbelievable but the movie doesn't comes across as irritating and in some moments even funny.
  10. Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, It's the first legitly good Adam Sandler movie in a long time. It was funny through out, a little corny at times but when is an Adam Sandler film not corny? Overall, It was enjoyable to watch.
  11. Nov 9, 2012
    For me, it's almost impossible for movies like this to get an absolutely atrocious rating because they are light and appeal to the less complicated side of our personalities. At their worst, they're still pleasant and amusing. But when they are as incompetent as this, they won't be getting any sparkling reviews either. Nobody watches flicks like these for the drama, the characterFor me, it's almost impossible for movies like this to get an absolutely atrocious rating because they are light and appeal to the less complicated side of our personalities. At their worst, they're still pleasant and amusing. But when they are as incompetent as this, they won't be getting any sparkling reviews either. Nobody watches flicks like these for the drama, the character development, the theme or the plot. Because none of those things are ever good in such movies. They are founded upon humor and sometimes even shock. Grown Ups is lazy in both regards. It truly seems as if they had a skeleton of a script and filled in the rest with improvised comedy. Except none of them can improvise. I mean, you hear the jokes and say, "There's no way somebody wrote that and decided that is was sufficient." I giggled a few times, but overall the "funny" dialogue was just lame. Lame. Lame. Lame. That's the prefect word to describe how ineffective it was. So really, Grown Ups has very little to offer. Nothing of interest. No sophistication. Just one or two chuckles buried under an avalanche of painfully inaccurate, cringe-inducing stabs at funny. It's like the one friend at the party who tries to make everyone laugh but really just embarrasses himself. So I am willing to give up 4 stars. But that's only because I can sit through it without becoming angry or disgusted. A thoughtless production. Expand
  12. Nov 7, 2012
    The insults at times are very funny, but the depth of the film ends there.
  13. Aug 27, 2012
    In all honesty, I was actually enjoying 'Grown Ups' as I was watching it. About an hour in however, I started thinking things over. There really isn't anything memorable about this comedy. There are a couple of decent jokes in the film and I'll admit that I actually laughed a couple of times, but when it hit the hour mark, the film reaches that point where it tries having some heart, whichIn all honesty, I was actually enjoying 'Grown Ups' as I was watching it. About an hour in however, I started thinking things over. There really isn't anything memorable about this comedy. There are a couple of decent jokes in the film and I'll admit that I actually laughed a couple of times, but when it hit the hour mark, the film reaches that point where it tries having some heart, which is a generic and typical move that I've seen been done in far too many comedies of this caliber. Expand
  14. Aug 24, 2012
    On first viewing I hated this film but after another viewing I actually found some parts rather enjoyable. Still not a great Adam Sandler film, it is by no means a film to chuck away but one to enjoy on a very quiet evening.
  15. Jan 22, 2012
    It wasnt bad but it wasnt good either. It was funny at times but corny at others. Its a rather generic comedy when it all comes down to it but it features an all star comedy cast. It meets the norm of every other Sandler type film so if you enjoy those types of films then you will enjoy this.
  16. Nov 26, 2011
    Its easily the best film that Happy Madison has produced in a long time. It was funny through most of the film and enjoyable for the first 45 mins until it got far too sappy and dramatic for my taste. The acting was rather generic as well.
  17. Jul 17, 2011
    Despite me not wanting to enjoy the childish, predictable antics I found myself laughing at this movie quite a lot. I especially like the character played by David Spade and although it will never be a classic taken in context it's an enjoyable if idiotic film.
  18. Jun 13, 2011
    I had fun with this film, though it did seem that it was written much like a joke book. So many jokes and puns are thrown at the audience one after the other just to see what sticks. Most of them do, but after a while the routine begins to appear contrived amongst the cast, and it made me say to myself, "Who really talks like this?" While this film has a great cast, I am afraid it couldn'tI had fun with this film, though it did seem that it was written much like a joke book. So many jokes and puns are thrown at the audience one after the other just to see what sticks. Most of them do, but after a while the routine begins to appear contrived amongst the cast, and it made me say to myself, "Who really talks like this?" While this film has a great cast, I am afraid it couldn't make up for the joke book stand-up routine that the audience is subjected to. I still love Sandler though! Expand
  19. Mar 19, 2011
    It's funny how Adam Sandler is completely plugged into the normal joe. Howard Stern said it perfectly. Adam Sandler doesn't care how average, unclever and generic his movies are. He doesn't care that critics hate everything he does. The domestic gross of every move he does is always at least double the production cost. When he, Spade and Farley were accused of being too sophomoric andIt's funny how Adam Sandler is completely plugged into the normal joe. Howard Stern said it perfectly. Adam Sandler doesn't care how average, unclever and generic his movies are. He doesn't care that critics hate everything he does. The domestic gross of every move he does is always at least double the production cost. When he, Spade and Farley were accused of being too sophomoric and dumbing down SNL, they laughed all the way to the bank. While the subject matter of his drippingly nostalgic movies have progressively reflected his self-awareness that he is aging, he keeps trying to progress his comedy to match it. While he's significantly lost his comedic edge, he will always generically appeal to his solid fanbase, which is why his movies will always do well. While his movies will never break new ground, Grown Ups not being an exception, there are always elements of cuteness, sweetness and some parts that most people can relate to. Again, Grown Ups not being an exception. For those of us who have grown up with Sandler, who enjoyed his sophomoric rise (even though it really did dumb down SNL) and are reaching the same places in life he is now, may not be able to critically enjoy his films, but for those times we want some popcorn and mindless entertainment, he always succeeds. Grown-Ups not being an exception. Expand
  20. Feb 6, 2011
    Adam Sangler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, Rob Schneider and David Spader isn't the most gelful buddy-chain in film history, and the laughs are on/off, but still, Grown Ups is a rather enjoyable and entertaining film that as soon as it gets over that lazy start, and the guys starts shooting at the cabin, it's a careless, carefree and amiable film, nothing more nor less.
  21. Jan 29, 2011
    very disappointing. its like they made the entire script in one day. very unfunny at times they just tired to hard. In the end this is in the top 10 of worst movies of 2010. unless its free skip this one.
  22. Nov 3, 2010
    With a cast like this you'd expect something better. I think the ideal audience for this movie is kids ages 5-10 and then adult males ages 34-61. If you're anywhere in between, like myself, I'm afraid this movie misses the mark.
  23. Sep 1, 2010
    Some of the humour is too American and uninspired, 20 minutes could easily have been cut to improve pacing, and although nowhere near as good as The Wedding Singer, this is a decent Sandler comedy with a worthwhile moral message at its core.
  24. Aug 11, 2010
    Some of the jokes were OK, but this movie lacked any story and had none of the charm or humor of Adam's other movies. You can tell that this movie was made just as a excuse for Sandler and his friends to goof off with. All the other actors are trying to do their job seriously and trying to portray theirs characters at least as believable but you can tell that any time Adam, David, Rob,Some of the jokes were OK, but this movie lacked any story and had none of the charm or humor of Adam's other movies. You can tell that this movie was made just as a excuse for Sandler and his friends to goof off with. All the other actors are trying to do their job seriously and trying to portray theirs characters at least as believable but you can tell that any time Adam, David, Rob, Chris, and Kevin where in a scene together they where just goofing off with each other rather than make a movie. I bet the only scenes that made the actual cut of this movie was the ones the main actors manage to stay in character. (Buscemi did steal the movie with his scenes, that man is hilarious.) Expand

1. Reviewed by: Nick de Semlyen
    Smug and lazy comedy that barely raises a chuckle.
    While Sandler has never trafficked in epigrammatic wit, there's a difference between, say, Billy Madison's "Of course I peed my pants--everyone my age pees their pants" or "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry's" shakedown of hetero squeamishness, and this lazy stuff--the difference between smart-dumb and plain-dumb.
  3. For a while, the movie looks like "Couples Retreat" or a Tyler Perry house party, only instead of cookie-cutter conflicts, everyone just grows happier and more relaxed.