5.0

1. chw
    Jul 19, 2014
    Grown Ups has to be the third best Adam Sandler movie he's in. Grown Ups has tons of laughs and gags that occur at places that I'm overly fond of, such as waterparks and during basketball games.
  2. May 23, 2014
    I probably found this movie funnier than I should, I don't know why I just really enjoyed it. I found it hilarious and I remember seeing it in a packed theater and everyone was laughing the whole time. Some great one liners and scenes that I will always remember. It is on TV so much and usually when I see it on I will put it on. A funny movie buy Sandler.
  3. Mar 30, 2014
    It's with Adam Sandler, so we know the chances of it being good are a low 30%, however Grown Ups was actually one of the good ones depending on how you look at it. You can judge a book by it's cover--but you should not judge a film by It's actors.
  4. Mar 29, 2014
    Very underrated, Its a lot of fun and has quite a few good laughs, All though it is very predictable at times and
    Ssome of the laughs don't work very much.
  5. Mar 2, 2014
    I can't believe this! Sandler, Rock, and Spade were all on SNL! They have to know more than this! What made them think that making this unfunny garbage was a good idea?
  6. Feb 8, 2014
    I walked into this poor-excuse for a movie expecting something god-awful. I was right, and then some. This movie is filled with stupid fart jokes and bad acting. For some reason, this movie got made. This just proved that Adam Sandler isn't the same actor he was. Seriously, this movie is just plain awful. I gave it a 1 only because there was just about one scene were I almost came close to slightly laughing Expand
  7. Jan 20, 2014
    It's one of Adam Sandler's more stale and childish movies, but it isn't that horrible. A few sadistic laughs attributed by the slapstick comedy that befalls on a decent portion of the characters. But it still doesn't make sense, like most of Sandler's movies, and is rather disturbing and unbearable to watch at times. Sandler, I don't know what he should do to become better, maybe stop with comedy's, because he isn't particularly good at them. Expand
  8. Jan 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I own this movie, seen it twice or 3 times, and it is just dull when it comes to humor. "I want to get chocolate wasted", is a perfect quote to use as an example. That quote didn't even make sense, but everyone in the movie laughs. And then the mother says, "no you don't honey". If this movie made me laugh once it would have been a joyous laugh during the credits because it is over. I love Adam Sandler, but he has recently been making poor humored movies such as Jack and Jill, Grown Ups, Grown Ups 2 (I laughed a couple times), That's My Boy, Funny People, Zookeeper, Bedtime Stories, and You Don't Mess With The Zohan. My favorite movie with him in it is Click, because he does a great job with his dramatic moments and funny moments. It shows how much potential Adam sandler has. I hope one day, he'll make better movies. Expand
  9. Nov 20, 2013
    Grown Ups groans low.
    The movie is a poorly written comedy that revolves around paper thin characters who happen to be played by recognizable comedians past their primes. There are no laughs, and really no story outside of a somewhat redeeming first ten minutes.
  10. Nov 13, 2013
    I thought this movie was pure genius. The critics hated it but when do they ever get anything right? I don't know what they wanted from this movie but it is a comedy and it was non-stop laughter from beginning to end. Isn't that what's supposed to define a comedy... how funny it is? By far, the funniest movie I've seen since the Hangover.
  11. Oct 8, 2013
    This movie is an abomination to cinema. Adam's Sandler's career is in the crapper, he's bored, having a mid-life crisis, so what does he do? He signs into this mess. What a shame.
  12. Sep 24, 2013
    The beginning of the end of Adam Sandler's career. This film had NO laughs, there was no scene in which I even chuckled. "Grown Ups" has no plot, it's just a few scenes that are about 3 minutes with a joke at the end of each scene, and when there is another scene, once again, it's a set up for another totally un-funny joke and rinse and repeat. The humor was all toilet comedy or slapstick, there is nothing smart, witty, or even laughable about any of the jokes in this film. I've read other reviews suggesting that this is actually a "good movie." Is this a good movie? No, not one damn bit. I've seen none of the reviewers who gave this God-awful film give any reasons to justify the fact that this film is the slightest bit watchable. There is no reason for one to buy this movie, rent it or even borrow it from a friend. It's just not good, at all. Expand
  13. Sep 1, 2013
    Grown Ups takes you back to that special level of boredom you once had when you were a child in math class. You sit motionless, you count the ceiling tiles, and the movie is sure to reveal the agenda to you ahead of time just to be certain none of it's jokes should surprise you. Bottom of the barrel garbage that not only isn't funny, but is actively determined to remind you the whole time of this fact with mindless slapstick and a remarkable level of "Ha ha, he's drunk" moments which the movie seems to be convinced count as "comedy". Burn each copy and scatter the ashes. Expand
  14. Aug 24, 2013
    It is without doubt one of the most underrated movies ever made. I really loved it!!! Do not listen to anyone who says that it's a bad film because they have to grow up someday!
  15. Aug 21, 2013
    Mirando las cosas de una manera mejor la pelicula contiene muy buenos momentos del buen humor de Adam Sandler y cada uno de sus compañeros............
  16. Aug 12, 2013
    The fact that this was written by Adam Sandler should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect as his movies haven't changed, or even evolved, one iota since the 90's. Unfortunately his formula, that once produced the memorable Happy Gilmore, has become increasingly tired over the years. The supporting cast are little more than stereotypes and to many of the jokes simply fall flat to the extent that the best way to describe Grown Ups would probably be boring.

On the plus side the movies heart is certainly in the right place and there is an obvious chemistry between the main cast producing the odd funny moment. With a funnier script it is actually possible that this could have actually been quite good, but in the end Grown Ups can only really be recommended to the most diehard of Sandler fans.
  17. Aug 5, 2013
    We all now this isn't supposed to be some Oscar contender, but for pure entertainment value, you can tell the actors are having fun and it transcends well on the screen for the viewers.
  18. Aug 3, 2013
    Los primeros 15 minutos son buenos, y luego la película va decayendo de forma impresionante. Muy aburrida. Las actuaciones no son tan malas, pero la historia es de lo peor que se ha visto en la historia del cine.
  19. Jul 31, 2013
    I don't understand AT ALL why people hate this movie so much. I found this movie funny, create and very entertaining. The movie felt like it was over in 5 minutes: that's how enjoyable it was.
  20. Jul 6, 2013
    "Grownups" may not be put in too depth and wit, but from its top notch comedians such as the works of Adam Sandler and Chris Rock, the film is able to pass with its humor. With actors playing on wonderful parts and a group of crazy middle-aged men acting like kids, "Grownups" can be idiotic to most, but an enjoyable one at that.
  21. Jun 21, 2013
    Not really funny at all. It's basically just the actors, who usually are very funny, hanging out and doing clichéd, not very funny things. Of course there's an old team rivalry thing, and of course it's not very funny. It doesn't really do anything to the story. This is one of the laziest written movies ever, which is why it's hard to review it. How do you review a movie with so little in it? The only thing I could think of is to review it badly. Will it burn your eyes out with terribleness? No. It's terribleness won't do that to you, unless you're talking about the ugly old lady, but it will bore you if you have any comic sense at all. Why do so many other teenagers love this movie? Expand
  22. Jun 18, 2013
    Grown Ups barely passes in my opinion. Although it did have it's funny and touching moments, the whole movie was so determined to make the audience laugh that it would never stop throwing jokes at the audience and half of the jokes were not that funny. As for the performances, all the adult actors/actresses were great but the child actors/actresses were so bad at acting. This movie could have been so much funnier and so much better than it was. I really hope that Grown Ups 2 is way better than this waste of time. Expand
  23. Jun 6, 2013
    This film sucks. No 2 ways about it. If I can count the funny moments on 1 hand (about 3-4 of them thanks to the only stars in this movie Chris Rock and Kevin James) than this film failed has a comedy.
  24. May 31, 2013
    I'm not going to waste time with a review. Don't watch the movie, it's seriously that bad. It has no funny scenes whatsoever, I just truly, deeply, HATED it!
  25. May 26, 2013
    The real problem with this movie is that, it simply is not funny, not funny at all. So unfunny to become tedious tawdry and pathetic. Worst of the worst...
  26. May 18, 2013
    Film connoisseurs will not sing praises for this one, but I enjoyed the movie. Recent comedies are often overly sarcastic or try to amuse with borderline distasteful scenes (e.g. Borat). Grown Ups relies on neither. It is simply made to entertain the viewer with mild-mannered good old fun and it succeeds doing that.
  27. May 12, 2013
    “Grown Ups” is a great movie. The plot sets the stage for a great film, the jokes are for the most part funny, and the cast is pretty good. For the most part I found myself laughing; however, there were numerous instances where I felt like this was one of those movies where it’s more a treat for the adults than for the kids. Regardless of all my criticism, “Grown Ups” is a good time and will leave you laughing and wishing for the film to keep the jokes coming. Expand
  28. May 12, 2013
    While not a-maze-ing, all five comediens are on top form here. Rob and David are definitive highlights, Sandler just lags behind with a sense of fun and humor while Rock and James prove they can be great with the right material. The wives and children are simply present for a family setting but the big five deliver warm laughs, crude jokes and feel good attitudes in front of their beautiful lake house. Dismisses the myth that the older you get, the more boring you become. Perfect for the kids and the grown ups. Expand
  29. Apr 16, 2013
    by far the funniest movie I have ever seen in my life I love all these guys in it sandler is always good except jack and jill but the whole movie is hilarious and everytime I watch this I still laugh each time
  30. Jan 28, 2013
    A movie for complete idiots. Actors seem so lazy acting outs there parts it is unbelievable but the movie doesn't comes across as irritating and in some moments even funny.
  31. Jan 27, 2013
    What an unfunny, boring comedy! With such a cast you would think they would deliver laughs, but the cast is not at fault, its the awful writers/director of this movie. The movie is without a plot, story. Its just like a bad cottage trip, where everybody is bored.
  32. Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, It's the first legitly good Adam Sandler movie in a long time. It was funny through out, a little corny at times but when is an Adam Sandler film not corny? Overall, It was enjoyable to watch.
  33. Nov 9, 2012
    For me, it's almost impossible for movies like this to get an absolutely atrocious rating because they are light and appeal to the less complicated side of our personalities. At their worst, they're still pleasant and amusing. But when they are as incompetent as this, they won't be getting any sparkling reviews either. Nobody watches flicks like these for the drama, the character development, the theme or the plot. Because none of those things are ever good in such movies. They are founded upon humor and sometimes even shock. Grown Ups is lazy in both regards. It truly seems as if they had a skeleton of a script and filled in the rest with improvised comedy. Except none of them can improvise. I mean, you hear the jokes and say, "There's no way somebody wrote that and decided that is was sufficient." I giggled a few times, but overall the "funny" dialogue was just lame. Lame. Lame. Lame. That's the prefect word to describe how ineffective it was. So really, Grown Ups has very little to offer. Nothing of interest. No sophistication. Just one or two chuckles buried under an avalanche of painfully inaccurate, cringe-inducing stabs at funny. It's like the one friend at the party who tries to make everyone laugh but really just embarrasses himself. So I am willing to give up 4 stars. But that's only because I can sit through it without becoming angry or disgusted. A thoughtless production. Expand
  34. Nov 7, 2012
    The insults at times are very funny, but the depth of the film ends there.
  35. Oct 30, 2012
    This movie was generally quite funny, The storyline wasn't very solid but hey its a comedy. I bought this movie new and was very happy I spent the money. This comedy is only funny to a certain type of person. From its reviews I get the vibes I may be that one person but its great buy it.
  36. Aug 27, 2012
    In all honesty, I was actually enjoying 'Grown Ups' as I was watching it. About an hour in however, I started thinking things over. There really isn't anything memorable about this comedy. There are a couple of decent jokes in the film and I'll admit that I actually laughed a couple of times, but when it hit the hour mark, the film reaches that point where it tries having some heart, which is a generic and typical move that I've seen been done in far too many comedies of this caliber. Expand
  37. Aug 24, 2012
    On first viewing I hated this film but after another viewing I actually found some parts rather enjoyable. Still not a great Adam Sandler film, it is by no means a film to chuck away but one to enjoy on a very quiet evening.
  38. Jun 4, 2012
    I am a big fan of Kevin James and a bit less of a fan of Adam Sandler, but this was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The fact that it has more positive reviews on here than negative makes me weep for humanity. They even tried to get loads of hot women in it to make it somewhat bearable and failed miserably. This movie makes Jack and Jill look like the Godfather.
  39. Apr 30, 2012
    My older sister recommended me this movie and I've got a message for you, sister: **** you!
  40. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, I would give this a 8.75 out of 10. It can be really funny, but it can also be rally stupid. Still, it's pretty hilarious. Sound good, story good. Overall, great comedy for the whole family. Highly recommended.
  41. Mar 1, 2012
    Grown Ups is a perfect example of how bad Adam Sandler movies can be.The movie is not as funny as thinks it is, Adam Sandler and Chris Rock can do and have done much better than this, David Spade gets typecasted as a sleeze for one billionith movie, Kevin James fills in for the late Chris Farley as the fat schmuck who is only good at slapstick and nothing else. And then there is Rob Schnider who is **** at any movie he does. Also the wives can also act so much better, Mya Rudolph was in Bridesmaids for **** sakes! watch this movie once then scratch the disc so deep that it can't be fixed. If want to watch a real Adam Sandler Movie, Go watch the Wedding Singer, if you wanna see Chris Rock do his thing, watch Dogma. As for the other three guys, don't bother. Expand
  42. Jan 22, 2012
    It wasnt bad but it wasnt good either. It was funny at times but corny at others. Its a rather generic comedy when it all comes down to it but it features an all star comedy cast. It meets the norm of every other Sandler type film so if you enjoy those types of films then you will enjoy this.
  43. Jan 12, 2012
    Put together a list of overused cliches, a book filled with bad jokes and a story that lacks any real purpose and you've basically got yourself this movie.
  44. Dec 30, 2011
    Lazy, ignorant and far from funny. It assembles a cast that is supposed to be hilarious but fails to even make me laugh once. I give this movie 19%. Yeah it is that bad.
  45. Dec 14, 2011
    Grown Ups is a bad movie, the story was lame and the 'comedy' was far too cheap and unfunny. Shame on Adam Sandler for assembling such a fantastic cast and letting their talent go to waste. Avoid this movie at all costs.
  46. Nov 26, 2011
    Its easily the best film that Happy Madison has produced in a long time. It was funny through most of the film and enjoyable for the first 45 mins until it got far too sappy and dramatic for my taste. The acting was rather generic as well.
  47. Nov 18, 2011
    This movie is filled with so many funny characters and somehow there is character development for almost all of them. This movie has a lot of funny moments and somehow there is a heart in it.
  48. Nov 15, 2011
    Grown Ups isn't Hangover funny, but a mellow movie you can sit back and chill to. A few chuckles but no ab ripper laughs here. Not enough heat to make Grown Ups a blockbuster, but enough warmth to keep you satisfied.
  49. Oct 18, 2011
    This movie can be very funny but some times the humor falls flat, and the plot is little weak, but you really just watch this to get a good laugh and you will get that here, and it is very believable because when I was watching this movie I kept thinking wow me and my friends are just like that! extremely hilarious, but not one you want your kids to watch, in the end it may not be one you watch several times, but you'll have fun the one or two times you do. Expand
  50. Sep 28, 2011
    This movie failed to keep it funny given the fact it had some really funny people (Rob Snieder, Kevin James). I was extremely disappointed and didn't want to continue after the first hour. More of a family movie but with the adult jokes included here I don't know what this is.
  51. Aug 28, 2011
    Grown Ups is as awful as any comedy could conceivably be, and then doubly awful once you realize that five comedians cannot generate one funny line or gag, and that there is, in fact, no story or resemblance of any kind of plot, but a string of unfunny notes.
  52. Jul 29, 2011
    Hilarious! Outrageous! are just a couple of words to describe this intelligently funny film. Anyone who's says they don't like must be boring and grumpy. This film made me laugh the most I have laughed in ages. There is obviously great writing behind this film and the actors make it even funnier. Brilliant 9/10.
  53. Jul 17, 2011
    Despite me not wanting to enjoy the childish, predictable antics I found myself laughing at this movie quite a lot. I especially like the character played by David Spade and although it will never be a classic taken in context it's an enjoyable if idiotic film.
  54. Jul 10, 2011
    Great movie. A bit slow paced, but this movie is hilarious. Most of the comedy is directed towards adults, so if you don't find this movie funny, you simply aren't mature enough.
  55. Jul 7, 2011
    Enjoyable & Entertaining!

There was not much to the story, but sometimes you don't even need a story to enjoy a movie, this is the perfect example of that.

Great humour, excellent movie.

56. Jun 17, 2011
    This movie is absolute garbage. Not funny in the slightest. The writing is horrible, and the "acting" even worse. The entire movie consists of a bunch of washed up 90's actors trying to be funny. The problem is, they aren't funny and never were. I honestly did not laugh a single time during this movie. This was a complete and utter failure.
  57. Jun 13, 2011
    I had fun with this film, though it did seem that it was written much like a joke book. So many jokes and puns are thrown at the audience one after the other just to see what sticks. Most of them do, but after a while the routine begins to appear contrived amongst the cast, and it made me say to myself, "Who really talks like this?" While this film has a great cast, I am afraid it couldn't make up for the joke book stand-up routine that the audience is subjected to. I still love Sandler though! Expand
  58. May 29, 2011
    Average movie, I wasn't expecting much from it but exceeded my expectations. The jokes are decents for kids. The story is weak and could have been more explored. What saves are the messages that are passed during the movie, but even so it's all very cliche.
  59. Mar 19, 2011
    It's funny how Adam Sandler is completely plugged into the normal joe. Howard Stern said it perfectly. Adam Sandler doesn't care how average, unclever and generic his movies are. He doesn't care that critics hate everything he does. The domestic gross of every move he does is always at least double the production cost. When he, Spade and Farley were accused of being too sophomoric and dumbing down SNL, they laughed all the way to the bank. While the subject matter of his drippingly nostalgic movies have progressively reflected his self-awareness that he is aging, he keeps trying to progress his comedy to match it. While he's significantly lost his comedic edge, he will always generically appeal to his solid fanbase, which is why his movies will always do well. While his movies will never break new ground, Grown Ups not being an exception, there are always elements of cuteness, sweetness and some parts that most people can relate to. Again, Grown Ups not being an exception. For those of us who have grown up with Sandler, who enjoyed his sophomoric rise (even though it really did dumb down SNL) and are reaching the same places in life he is now, may not be able to critically enjoy his films, but for those times we want some popcorn and mindless entertainment, he always succeeds. Grown-Ups not being an exception. Expand
  60. Feb 19, 2011
    An extremely unfunny movie that does a terrible job of trying to give moral advice on growing up. The movie is basically devoid of any plot from what I could tell. I'm not a Sandler hater, but he's been put out a fair share of crappy films and this may be a new low.
  61. Feb 6, 2011
    Adam Sangler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, Rob Schneider and David Spader isn't the most gelful buddy-chain in film history, and the laughs are on/off, but still, Grown Ups is a rather enjoyable and entertaining film that as soon as it gets over that lazy start, and the guys starts shooting at the cabin, it's a careless, carefree and amiable film, nothing more nor less.
  62. Jan 29, 2011
    very disappointing. its like they made the entire script in one day. very unfunny at times they just tired to hard. In the end this is in the top 10 of worst movies of 2010. unless its free skip this one.
  63. Jan 21, 2011
    I don't understand the negative reviews. When I first went to go see it in the theaters, I couldn't stop laughing! It is full of funny moments where you just can't stop laughing!
  64. Dec 21, 2010
    If Hollywood were (metaphorically) a fast food restaurant that served cheap-but-tasty-yet-fattening films, 'Grown Ups' would surely be on the value menu. While there was already little promise to a film that consisted of five of some of the most annoying comedian-actors, there was room for actual comedy. However, nothing felt like anything new. It's the same burger we've been eating for years, except it's got a little some of this and that, which isn't much, and if anything it's bad for your health. The film is about these "grown ups", played by Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, David Spade, Rob Schneider and Kevin James, who are childhood pals obligated to return home for the funeral of their old coach. They basically spend the whole time reminiscing on the "good ol days" and having a "good ol time" while never shedding a light on what the film is trying to say, which isn't much of anything we haven't already heard. I was hoping that Adam Sandler would've carried the movie, but he seemed to be the most boring of the "big five" in this bro-fest. Really, they just sat around and laughed for half of the movie, and the things they laughed at were only family-oriented crude clichés of jokes we've seen and heard so so so many times. Maybe the point of the film was that these well-known actors were, in a sense, looking back at the things that made their previous successes so funny. To me, though, that just sounds like a sales gimmick, but people are prone to buy "Greatest Hits" albums even when they already own all of the songs on the album. Expand
  65. Nov 17, 2010
    I like easy comedy, easy humorism, for ex. I loved Jackass. But this awful piece of crap will only waste one and half hour of your life. I havent even smiled once, in a movie thats supposed to be a funny comedy and thats everything but funny, just terrible humorism, boring, ridicolously trite...please, please don't watch this garbage.
  66. Nov 10, 2010
    A very fun and easy to watch movie. No twists or anything, pretty much what you'd expect it to be. Provides some good laughs throughout. Don't understand how it has such a low score, people don't seem to have a sense of humor.
  67. Nov 3, 2010
    With a cast like this you'd expect something better. I think the ideal audience for this movie is kids ages 5-10 and then adult males ages 34-61. If you're anywhere in between, like myself, I'm afraid this movie misses the mark.
  68. Nov 2, 2010
    A Film Review by: Sam Fragoso

*1/2

Adam Sandler's new movie "Grown Up's" could possibly be one of the years worst comedies. Let me start this off telling everyone that I am an Adam Sandler fan (Spanglish, Big Daddy, Funny People etc) but this movie is probably his worst. I don't understand how five funny and some what talented actors could make a movie so bland and not even remotely
    funny. I don't what they were thinking when taking this movie, it's rarely funny and extremely predictable. For me this film raises the question that I hate to think of which is.... Do these actors read the scripts of the films there in before they take them or are they just doing it for the money? I mean the idea of five guys reuniting in a lake house for a weekend is not great but it has potential of being a funny movie. But in "Grown Up's" the jokes are old and tiring, the writing is weak and very bland and the old black grandma that makes fun of people is one of the biggest cliches in the movies. Sadly that's exactly what "Grown Up's'" is, a cliche for a predictable and non comedic comedy. I obviously say skip "Grown Up's". Expand
  69. Oct 9, 2010
    "Tho this will not be marked down as Sandler's Best, this movie is full of genuine laughs , great comedic timing , and the cast was perfect , this is a great summer movie , and Adam Sandler is great as always, i had alot fun with this movie .." .. B+
  70. Oct 7, 2010
    Curious how some people loved it? This has to be the most unfunny "comedy" I've had the misfortune to watch in years. What's up with Sandler? Please try and make a decent comedy again. And as for Chris Rock, who is brilliant in stand up, talk about sleep walking through a part. This is beyond dumb.
  71. Sep 17, 2010
    Such a surprisingly decent comedy. 'Grown Ups' opens with a scene from a basketball team's past. The star cast includes Adam Sandler, Salma Hayek and Chris Rock. There are many laughs in this movie including the old moaning and farting granny and then there's my favourite moment where the good looking guy turns out to have a very squeaky voice due to all the steroids he's been taking. I've given this a seven because it's not one of the best comedies I've seen but it's a great time filler. Expand
  72. Sep 14, 2010
    This is the funniest movie I've seen this year. The characters are funny and while the story is lighthearted and soft, execution is great. Don't expect a genious movie and come ready to laugh and you'll find yourself dying of laughter.
  73. Sep 12, 2010
    Wow that was a bad movie. I was actually entertained in the sense of how could this get any worse and believe me it did. The jokes were completely unfunny and at times just mean but everyone laughed and chuckled in the movie. It was the cheesiest, worst piece of crap Ive ever seen. The only time this movie would be useful to anyone if they were studying why movies didn't work.
  74. Sep 11, 2010
    this movie really isn't as bad as everyone says it is, if you go into the cinema in a god mood then you'll find the humor funny, it may not be ads good as the likes of Kick-ass or Get Him To The Greek but it's still a respectable good movie, like every comedy there's a fat guy, a black guy, a single annoying sex driven guy and the other guy, this has all of them and a hippy, all of which work well together, not amazingly together but well enough to make it worth the watch. Expand
  75. Sep 4, 2010
    This movie was charming and funny to its very core.
    Some unnecessary jokes and dirty themes may seem stupid, but they do little to varnish these great actors careers.
  76. Sep 1, 2010
    Some of the humour is too American and uninspired, 20 minutes could easily have been cut to improve pacing, and although nowhere near as good as The Wedding Singer, this is a decent Sandler comedy with a worthwhile moral message at its core.
  77. Aug 14, 2010
    (This movie was attended by the CoDFather, his grandma, aunt, father, and brother) This movie sort of embarrassed me on account the movie was my decision. The humor is a little, "over the line", if you know what I mean. But, in all other cases, the movie was pretty funny. I don't see what's so bad about this movie, I mean, yeah, Adam Sandler has been in a few movies that weren't that successful, but this couldn't have been one of 'em. Expand
  78. Aug 13, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For those who love Adam Sandler comedies, the star of "Happy Gilmore" and "Big Daddy" salutes you. Sandler, who every now and then, takes a time out from his string of highly successful lowbrow comedies in order to challenge himself with the occasional mature celluloidal venture, presides over "Grown-Ups" like some curator of his own particular brand of modern humor, as if "Punchdrunk Love", "Spanglish", and especially "Funny People", never happened. Whereas in "Funny People" the prevailing subtext in the 2009 Judd Apatow film seemed to indicate a commercially successful, but critically panned actor's disenchantment with his filmography, such possible real-life feelings about the demerits of aiming for the lowest common denominator over the course of one's career, goes undetected in "Grown-Ups", in which Sandler, once again, plays a Hollywood professional(this time, a producer). It's as if Sandler wants to assure his fanbase that he takes pride in what made him famous, so it's goodbye to self-introspection, and hello to bits about breast milk and pee. The dialogue, at times, have an improvisational quality, as Sandler and his buddies riff without the slightest realization that they're not the least bit funny. "Grown-Ups" certainly doesn't act grown-up when women are concerned, in which the Dennis Spade character describes the brink of a French kiss between Rob Schneider and his post-menopausal older lady as being "grodie". Spade, along with the other similarly-aged men, are allowed to leer at Schneider's impossibly sexy girls, while shuddering at the third daughter, who gets laughs, simply by being unattractive. "Grown-Ups" thinks it can get away with such lewd treatment of women, since the Hallie Berry character, who seems poised to be a stuck-up **** is not, which gives the filmmaker some leeway to be misogynistic. "Grown-Ups" allegedly has some funny people in it, but where are they, exactly? Expand
  79. Aug 11, 2010
    Some of the jokes were OK, but this movie lacked any story and had none of the charm or humor of Adam's other movies. You can tell that this movie was made just as a excuse for Sandler and his friends to goof off with. All the other actors are trying to do their job seriously and trying to portray theirs characters at least as believable but you can tell that any time Adam, David, Rob, Chris, and Kevin where in a scene together they where just goofing off with each other rather than make a movie. I bet the only scenes that made the actual cut of this movie was the ones the main actors manage to stay in character. (Buscemi did steal the movie with his scenes, that man is hilarious.) Expand

1. Reviewed by: Nick de Semlyen
    Smug and lazy comedy that barely raises a chuckle.
    While Sandler has never trafficked in epigrammatic wit, there's a difference between, say, Billy Madison's "Of course I peed my pants--everyone my age pees their pants" or "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry's" shakedown of hetero squeamishness, and this lazy stuff--the difference between smart-dumb and plain-dumb.
  3. For a while, the movie looks like "Couples Retreat" or a Tyler Perry house party, only instead of cookie-cutter conflicts, everyone just grows happier and more relaxed.