6.4

1. Nov 17, 2014
    Grudge Match is one of the most desperate ideas for a film I can recall. I've grown up watching and loving Sylvester Stallone & a Robert De Niro. And the 10 year old boy in me wanted Rocky Balboa vs Jake La Motta to be great. But realistically it's absolutely ridiculous. Ultimately this is a cringe worthy parody just trying to cash in on the former glory of two much loved and iconicGrudge Match is one of the most desperate ideas for a film I can recall. I've grown up watching and loving Sylvester Stallone & a Robert De Niro. And the 10 year old boy in me wanted Rocky Balboa vs Jake La Motta to be great. But realistically it's absolutely ridiculous. Ultimately this is a cringe worthy parody just trying to cash in on the former glory of two much loved and iconic characters. I love the Rocky films, but this is one boxing film too many for Sylvester Stallone. And it's embarrassing here to think Robert De Niro was once the Raging Bull. Alan Arkin is fun in a supporting role and I suppose for a glimmer of nostalgia that the fight is worth a watch once. But otherwise this is a tired and cheap gimmick. Expand
  2. Nov 13, 2014
    "Grudge Match" 10 Scale Rating: 4.5 (Mediocre) ...

The Good: While the vast majority of them were in the previews, the film did have a couple of amusing scenes and lines. The idea and set up were solid and at least kept my interest enough to see it through to the end. The Bad: The dramatic elements miss the mark completely and I didn't really care about any of the subplots. The film
    "Grudge Match" 10 Scale Rating: 4.5 (Mediocre) ...

The Bad: The dramatic elements miss the mark completely and I didn't really care about any of the subplots. The film is completely predictable and full of cliche scenes that we've seen in several other movies. While DeNiro was serviceable, Stallone was pretty much awful. Even Kevin Hart's comedy couldn't save this one.
  3. Jul 6, 2014
    I really like this movie a lot. Kinda reminds me of "Rocky." If you guys actually like the movie "Rocky," then you're going to love "Grudge Match." I suggest seeing it.
  4. May 17, 2014
    I don't see why the critics were so hash. I thought this was a very funny and entertaining movie. As always, the users tend to be more accurate than the critics on this site.
  5. May 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not the best film to come from stalone but it is not god awful it's got the right amount of comedy and doesn't take it's self to serious and doesn't go over the top worth a watch Expand
  6. Apr 25, 2014
    A funny comedy with enough of a sentimental, feel good type story to keep viewers entertained. Both Stallone and De Niro do a fantastic job, and fans of their earlier works will get a kick out of seeing "Rocky Balboa" and "Jake LaMotta" duking it out in the ring. Supporting cast members Kevin Hart and Alan Arkin bring a lot of laughs.

Overall it's a very enjoyable comedy, although I

Overall it's a very enjoyable comedy, although I wouldn't call it a great one. It can be slow sometimes and some of the earlier attempts at humor do fall flat. Still, it end up managing to be both funny and enjoyable enough for me to recommend it for at least a rental. For my total score I give it a 7.8/10-Good.
  7. MB_
    Apr 3, 2014
    I came in not expecting too much but was very happy with the film.

Yes there were a few throwaway tribute gags to the old boxing films and by half way through things get a little predictable. But I can enjoy the virtues of the film. The problem with modern films to me is that characters do things that don't make sense and just act to move the film forward, this incongruence is
    I came in not expecting too much but was very happy with the film.

The problem with modern films to me is that characters do things that don't make sense and just act to move the film forward, this incongruence is glaring but in this case each character was actually acting in character.

Not really a fan of DeNiro, his performances are usually that showy, he doesn't usually play an actual human being more panto villain. Stallone was his usual old self and didn't embarrass himself and everyone else in the case were great, Arkin didn't emulate Meredith at all which was a great choice and Hart was pretty amusing as the comedy relief.

The critic snobbery is of course no surprise, they hate anything with Stallone, this is fact. They could have written their reviews months ago, they are that predictable.

I'm giving it a ten because I liked the characters and script that's what I'm all about.
  8. Apr 1, 2014
    The actors from the 80s coming together mean it must be something great. There's no youth left in them for a concept like this, but the alteration of the story well suited for these fellows. As far I know Robert De Niro is not made for hardcore stunts, surprisingly he managed to give his best in this movie. And no need to praise Sylvester Stallone when it come to a movie based on boxing.The actors from the 80s coming together mean it must be something great. There's no youth left in them for a concept like this, but the alteration of the story well suited for these fellows. As far I know Robert De Niro is not made for hardcore stunts, surprisingly he managed to give his best in this movie. And no need to praise Sylvester Stallone when it come to a movie based on boxing.

The trailer was different that what I saw today in the movie. It totally misled me, I thought the movie was about computer game where two ex champions meet, but it went way beyond to the final battle. My eye was on De Niro, his entry in unfamiliar arena, the boxing. For Stallone it is like the return of Rocky Balboa.

A little bit of fun and a little bit of drama. The story commenced with the early life of two rivalry boxers and moves all the way to the next 30 years. The uncomfortably settled life forces them to come together one final time and the rest of the story brief these legend's preparation for the grudge match. Recently saw plenty of movies based on old guys, but this movie is not that often you see. Well crafted movie, but only a just above the average, which mostly a time pass movie.
  9. Mar 30, 2014
    If this had happen 20-30 years ago, People would go crazy, but now that both guys are up there in age and their star power is fading fast, It's no where near as compelling to see. It's painfully generic through out and while there are bits of humor here and there, It's not enough to justify sitting through the overly long two hour run time.
  10. Jan 25, 2014
    Grudge Match tells the story of two boxers Henry " Razor " Sharpe ( Sylvester Stallone ) and Billy "The Kid" McDonagh (Robert De Niro ) Won each other for one match . 30 years later, they met at a crucial Grudge Match . The film proved to be a comedy in the genre with great jokes and great acting.

Sylvester Stallone played perfectly " Razor ." His character soperezhivaeshdazhe knowing that he will win .

Robert De Niro is Sylvester Stallone opponent because his story is very touching.

Grudge Match is a very funny comedy with a great cast , good sauntrek and a good storyline .
  11. Jan 24, 2014
    Va bene, a mente fredda si finisce per pensare che, in fondo, è una stupidata. Però, stando al gioco, ci si diverte per un centinaio di minuti senza troppi pensieri: basta lasciarsi andare alla sfacciata inverosimiglianza e osservare i due vecchi leoni fare il verso al proprio passato e sovente gigioneggiare appoggiati a una storia in cui non mancano spunti e battute (dopo pochi minuti, DeVa bene, a mente fredda si finisce per pensare che, in fondo, è una stupidata. Però, stando al gioco, ci si diverte per un centinaio di minuti senza troppi pensieri: basta lasciarsi andare alla sfacciata inverosimiglianza e osservare i due vecchi leoni fare il verso al proprio passato e sovente gigioneggiare appoggiati a una storia in cui non mancano spunti e battute (dopo pochi minuti, De Niro proclama ‘sono un grande attore’ mentre a Stallone viene vietato di prendere a pugni i quarti di manzo in una cella frigorifera). Razor (Sly) e il Kid (Bob) si odiano da trent’anni – da cui il titolo originale ‘Il match del rancore’ - per motivi sportivi e sentimentali: da quando il primo ha rinunciato al confronto che avrebbe dovuto sancire la superiorità di uno dei due (e alla boxe tutta) dopo che il secondo gli ha messo incinta la fidanzata (Basinger e, nelle immagini degli anni Ottanta, la figlia Ireland). Dante, il tascabile erede del vecchio promoter (un Kevin Hart che fa parecchio il verso a Eddie Murphy), prova a resuscitare la sfida per soldi e i due, dopo qualche tentennamento accettano: Razor ha un posto di lavoro traballante e mantiene il vecchio allenatore (Alan Arkin fa il Burt Young senza la vena di amarezza ma con un rumorosissimo apparecchio acustico) mentre Kid è un vanaglorioso figlio di buona donna e non può certo tirarsi indietro. Inizia così l’allenamento parallelo, in cui si inserisce il figlio della colpa come manager di papà, e si arriva alla grande sfida davanti a mezza Pittsburgh: dodici round di irreale scazzottamento a guardia bassa (del resto i due sono stati protagonisti di match cinematografici tra i più sanguinolenti della storia) al termine del quale Razor grida ‘Adrianaaaaaa’ – no, ok, stavo scherzando – e Kid recupera un po’ di dignità. Ambientata in una periferia urbana abbastanza anonima, la sceneggiatura di Tim Kelleher e Rodney Rothman delinea due antagonisti tagliati con l’accetta mettendo via via più a fuoco il confronto tra un ‘buono’ e un ‘cattivo’ o, quantomeno, un ‘simpatico’ e un ‘antipatico’: Stallone è monolitico come di prammatica nell’interpretare il rude-ma-sensibile Razor mentre De Niro (il cui doppiaggio lo fa sempre sembrare strafatto di elio) utilizza il suo ghigno beffardo per rendere la meschinità che contraddistingue il suo personaggio. Il grande Bob dà l’impressione di divertirsi e rende assai di più rispetto ai tanti ruoli ‘alimentari’ interpretati di puro mestiere in varie commedie degli ultimi anni, e anche gli altri attori sembrano condividere l’atmosfera generale, con la spalla comica di Arkin che si fa preferire a quella sopra le righe di Hart, mentre Basinger – il cui personaggio è nonna di un bimbo di otto anni – rende lustro ai miracoli della chirurgia estetica. Il regista Peter Segal mette in immagini il tutto senza voli pindarici, ma con una buona attenzione al ritmo e un’inevitabile attenzione al citazionismo visivo: il risultato è un onesto prodotto medio che si regge sul carisma dei suoi interpreti e che assolve al suo compito di divertire senza troppi retropensieri accompagnato da una simpatica colonna sonora d’epoca (‘Back in black’ degli AC/DC accompagna Razor sull’ultimo ring). Da notare che i titoli di coda sono inframezzati da un paio di scenette conclusive (non al termine del rullo, perciò non c’è da aspettare tanto): in una, Dante cerca di organizzare un nuovo incontro fra Tyson e Holyfield – li chiama per cognome per farli riconoscere, si suppone – prendendosi i suoi rischi. Expand
  12. Jan 17, 2014
    This Movie feels like a long joke that never got funny, you hear Robert De Niro and Sylvester Stallone (my childhood icons) in a movie about boxing you think this is probably going to be funny, in the end it is not. The story is terrible and the character feel like they are written for guys in their 30s to 40s, Alan Arkin is funny at times but then also very disgusting the same thingThis Movie feels like a long joke that never got funny, you hear Robert De Niro and Sylvester Stallone (my childhood icons) in a movie about boxing you think this is probably going to be funny, in the end it is not. The story is terrible and the character feel like they are written for guys in their 30s to 40s, Alan Arkin is funny at times but then also very disgusting the same thing with Robert De Niro very disgusting he talked for a movie that came out for Christmas that families probably went to see. It is something to see just because Stallone and De Niro is in it but overall if you're not a fan of them then this is not something to see Expand
  13. Jan 7, 2014
    Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro play ex-boxers who never settled their rivalry (in the ring and in love), so they decide to stage a final bout. These two screen icons toss around age and fat jokes, but mostly play the drama. Luckily, Adam Arkin provides crusty comic commentary and Kevin Hart brings wise ass chatter. Still, the script is only occasionally amusing, painfullySylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro play ex-boxers who never settled their rivalry (in the ring and in love), so they decide to stage a final bout. These two screen icons toss around age and fat jokes, but mostly play the drama. Luckily, Adam Arkin provides crusty comic commentary and Kevin Hart brings wise ass chatter. Still, the script is only occasionally amusing, painfully predictable and not at all compelling. If you insist on seeing it, be sure to sit thru the closing credits for two surprise cameos that create the film's funniest moment. Expand
  14. Jan 6, 2014
    Grudge Match is a little fun with a lot of missed opportunity. The script felt mashed together in a day or two without much revision. The movie lacks intention that could have made it a really great experience. Instead I felt like it was just OK. If you're being selective about what to see in theaters right now, perhaps this one is best left until its available at a Redbox.
  15. Jan 4, 2014
    While you can still have fun with this movie, I still wish this could have been better than just being a plain comedy. It doesn't really feel like you're watching a big rivalry between Sylvester Stallone and Robert DeNero, it feels more like slapstick comedy no one will remember, but never the less, it still brings in laughs and touches a little on the main stars. Overall, it's a decentWhile you can still have fun with this movie, I still wish this could have been better than just being a plain comedy. It doesn't really feel like you're watching a big rivalry between Sylvester Stallone and Robert DeNero, it feels more like slapstick comedy no one will remember, but never the less, it still brings in laughs and touches a little on the main stars. Overall, it's a decent re-hash of former Rocky and Jack! I give it a B-! Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Expand
  16. Dec 25, 2013
    The humor and fun tone of Grudge Match keeps it light and entertaining as you make your way through the formulaic plot. Film buffs will enjoy seeing Rocky Balboa and Jake LaMotta fighting on the big screen. The movie will not survive as a classic, and makes a strange choice for Christmas, but offers a little more than expected.

1. Reviewed by: Curtis Woloschuk
    Jan 21, 2014
    Rather than getting us on the ropes and landing some telling blows, Grudge Match keeps its distance and tosses meek jabs. Cheap sentimentality can’t disguise the crashing cynicism on display.
  2. Reviewed by: Nick de Semlyen
    Jan 20, 2014
    An idea that must have sounded good on paper looks a lot less smart on the screen.
    The result is maybe more interesting than we might have expected, but it’s not particularly funny.