4.4

1. Dec 28, 2010
    I took my eleven year-old daughter to see Gulliver's Travels. She found it so unfunny that she wanted to leave at the halfway stage. I told her to say, as I hoped that it would get better....but it did not. If anything, it got even worse, and I had to apologise for making her sit through the whole thing.

The whole thing is a disaster. Jack Black is excruciatingly unfunny and boorish,
    throughout the entire film. Major British talents, Billy Connolly and Catherine Tate, are awarded zero funny lines by the script writers. They at least managed to look professional, which is quite an achievement in this car crash of a movie. The female romantic lead, of whom we see very little, also manages a half-decent performance. But those really are the only positives that I can find. A complete waste of a morning and £14. Collapse
  2. Dec 29, 2010
    Very little redeems this movie from the punishing 2-hour running time. Juvenile, disgusting, and completely unfunny. The CG looks good, but there's nothing special.
  3. Dec 31, 2010
    My 9 year old kid loved this. I thought it was goofy and enjoyable. You want to have a good time with your kid, go see this movie. It's not Merchant Of Venice, but its a lot of fun.
  4. Dec 30, 2010
    I didn't expect a very good movie so i wasn't impressed, nor disappointed. Even though the plot is simple and naive, most of the jokes were funny. Plus, Jack Black was hilarious as always.
  5. Dec 28, 2010
    -__- I'm sorry this has got to be up there with my worst all time films. As usual Jack Black played HIMSELF in what was a cheesy, insipid 'comedy' with limited actors and shockingly bad CGI. Let's face it, all it had going for it was Jack Black's persona to boost profit at box office and a foxy bird. Hence my 1/10 user score. I enjoyed my M&M's more.
  6. Sep 15, 2011
    "Gulliver's Travels" is not funny. The story is not funny, Jack Black delivers a decent performance, the depth of the movie is shallow....It is NOT funny.
  7. Dec 30, 2010
    With deadening predictability, the filmmakers have reduced a definitive satire about the flaws and foibles of human nature into family-friendly sub-Disney pabulum about an affable slacker who finally musters up the courage to ask a pretty girl at work for a date.
  8. Dec 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jack Black needs to graduate from the school of rock. He flunked "Margot at the Wedding" and barely passed "King Kong", but those are the sort of films he has to keep taking and master, varied roles in which the high-octane comic actor can't dial anything in, a challenge he first faced in the 2008 Noam Baumbach film, starring Nicole Kidman. Cast against type, Black was asked to portray a depressed best man of the groom without any trace of his patented wild man-lost boy schtick. He underplayed, and underwhelmed as a Bergman-esque ensemble player, exposing his lack of range as a dramatic actor. Fast-becoming the Robin Williams of his generation, "Gulliver's Travels" relegates the one-trick pony leading man to his tried-and-true antics, which seems to consist primarily of channeling his guitar heroes whenever he gets excitable, that is to say, nearly always. Without the presence of a strong personality behind the camera, Black's performances will inevitably go to eleven. His work here is no exception. Lucky for him, his schtick hasn't grown entirely tiresome yet, first seen eleven years ago in Stephen Frears' "High Fidelity", championing Katrina & the Waves over Belle & Sebastian, by dancing to "Walking on Sunshine" along the vinyl stacks. Point taken. You can't dance to "sad bastard music". The record clerk was the first in a long line of slackers that he would come to specialize in playing; his latest underachiever, Gulliver, a hapless mailboy at a seemingly thriving New York newspaper, is just the sort of undeterred sad sack Black can embody in his sleep, and without a good script, it's auto-pilot time, since he's essentially playing the same character as the faux schoolteacher in the Richard Linklater film from 2004. At least that slacker could play a musical instrument, the electric guitar, whereas Gulliver wields a pathetic toy one for the wildly popular video game. Out of love and desperation, Gulliver makes matters worse, when the newly demoted mail clerk(his trainee, played by T.J. Miller, becomes his boss) lies to the sexy travel editor about his writing ability and affinity for travel, since he wants Darcy(Amanda Peet)...badly. Because of their opposing stations at the paper, Gulliver doesn't dare act on his impulses, so he does something about this inequality. The fake musician becomes a fake journalist, as well, by fooling the seasoned old pro with plagiarized writing samples that he parlays into an assignment on the mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle. After his boat penetrates an inverted whirlpool, the mail clerk wakes up in Liliput, a place where he can start over, be a big shot, and does so accordingly, exerting his size and stature as a false idol over the Liliputian people, treating them like Star Wars action figures, like puppets. As the kingdom's ruler, dictator, really, Gulliver usurps the power from Liliput's king the very moment he pisses on the royal, which the film disguises purely as a rescue, a fire that the giant extinguishes with a torrent of urine. The king calls Gulliver "a savior", but weren't they managing just fine without him? This act of seeming benevolence looks more and more like the actions of a man who's marking his territory. In other words, the thirty-something American is planting his flag. The pee acts like a colonizing agent. Gulliver employs the Liliputians as slaves, working these "ridiculously good builders" to the bone, enabling him to enjoy the good life. Instead of Christianity, he promotes the idea of cinema as religion, forcing the tiny people to watch secular stories("Star Wars" and "Titanic") as if they were holy, in which the words of Lucas and Cameron become the priests who transcribed the word of God. Gulliver never stops to consider that the Liliputians have their own stories to tell. They're Americanized. "Gulliver's Travels", like a lot of Hollywood movies(especially the old ones), is gerrymandered in the colonizer's favor; it's a product of the manifest destiny tradition, so as a result, the film seems unaware that Edward, the supposed traitor of Liliput who switches allegiances in order to combat his fellow countrymen, may actually be the hero. Expand
  9. Dec 30, 2010
    This movie is unrealistic in so many ways from the original one. Seriously, they added a super giant robot in the film. That didn't even make sense ! It wasn't funny (maybe a few chuckles), the plot was to simple (so simple that it became boring) and the acting was average. Jack Black played, again, the same type of character (nothing different). The 3D effects wasn't necessary (approximately ten minutes of the entire film).The other effects were cool. This is easily one of the worst movies of 2010. At least Emily Blunt was hot in this movie. Expand
  10. Jan 6, 2011
    Oh dear. How could an Idea and a cast with so much potential turn out a movie so flat and painfully unfunny? the blame for this falls entirely on the writers of this awful and unfunny script. The actors sure try their best. Chris O'dowd from tv show 'The IT crowd' does a good job with the terrible material that is given to him and Jack Black is always entertaining to some extent and to be fair there are one or two good laughs in it but that doesn't mean you should go and see it. When I walked out of this film I thought 'who looked at this script and thought this was funny?' and believe me it was the first film I have ever walked out of. In conclusion, a completely unfunny mess of a movie. Screw you Joe Stillman, screw you Nicholas Stoller. You have ruined this movie. Expand
  11. Dec 30, 2010
    This was the worst film I have ever seen. It is what prompted me to find and register on this site to submit my first ever review. My kids thought it was stupid and a waste of time. Not funny. Portrays the very worst of sleazy lazy north American non-culture. A cheesy money grab. Don't bother seeing it-read the book. Given that it is based on literature, too bad they waste such great potential.
  12. Jan 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really, truly, awful. Unfunny, and a blatant rip off of almost every other animated or semi animated movie ever made. Do not see this movie. For your own good. Expand
  13. Jan 2, 2011
    Surprisingly Gulliver's Travels wasn't very good. Usually a movie with Jack Black is hilarious and good. I guess he didn't get a very good script.
  14. Jan 8, 2011
    I laughed no more than 2 time during the whole movie. I had high hopes since Jack Black's in it, but I was very dissapointed. Very boring movie, would not recommend it to see.
  15. Dec 28, 2010
    Much funnier than the Metascore would have led me to believe. Jack Black is hilarious as usual, and Amanda Peete actually does a decent job. All I know is that I was laughing pretty much the whole movie, which is rare. So I agree with those green critics and don't quite understand the red ones.
  16. Jan 6, 2011
    Not even the 3D gimmicks could save this film from mediocracy. So much of the true story moral lessons are lost and if it was not for the excellent Chris O'Dowd (see also "The IT crowd") it might not have been worth seeing at all.
  17. Jan 8, 2011
    I have a lot of mixed feelings about this movie. I went to it with my mom, grandma, and little 5-year-old brother. My brother really ate it up while I still think Jack Black needs acting lessons. I went to it with really, really (really) low expectations so I was pleasantly surprised to see it wasn't that bad.
  18. Jan 6, 2011
    Its not the best movie of all time, but its got a nice charm to it and its a usual cliché. Plus, I didnt like the fact that the builders built lights, his house, etc. When it was impossible to get back then so...? Yeah. Doesnt make that much sense "but who cares!" Its still a good film, but a bit boring.
  19. Dec 29, 2010
    "Gulliver's Travels rely's way to much on its childlike humor and potty jokes to save itself , but really never succeeds , considering the source material. Jack Black never gets a grip on things. But still i laughed hear and there so a mild recommendation" .. C
  20. Jan 15, 2011
    Okay movie, not great. It has some funny spots but like some has said, I too wasn't impressed. Probably worth your time once but, it's replayability is very low.
  21. Dec 25, 2010
    First off, I don't know why the official review rating is off; if anything, it should be 57/100, but whatever. I think it deserves at least a 60; it's not hilarious, but it gets the job done, and is a holiday movie you will enjoy.
  22. Jan 1, 2011
    The story about a guy who unintentionally traveled into a world of little people called Liliput. Here, Gulliver (Jack Black) discovered that these people think differently about him than back at where he came from. Back in Mahanttan, Gulliver worked in a mailroom in a writing company and no one knows he exists, which is really typical for a movie like this. He had a long time crush on this girl who writes traveling articles. One day, he walked into her office ready to ask her out and predictably grabbed a packet for a traveling article which requires him to go to sea instead. While driving a boat to the destination, Gulliver fell asleep and went off course into a dangerous spin-off. Astonishingly, Gulliver came out alive but was tied up by the little humans by the time he came to. The little humans thought he was an enemy at first, but by the time the movie's middle appear, you'd already guessed the ending. Jack Black did exactly what he was supposed to do, entertain the audience no matter what it takes (even if showing half of his ass and pissing all over the place in a PG film). But the movie cannot depend on Jack Black to carry it, it needs a better story and a good, surprising ending. In my opinion, with all of Jack Black's childish humor and fine special effects, the film was able to get some laughs out of me. Jack Black has got a charm with him every time he gives a performance so that was enough for the film to pass the 50% mark. Even though the film somewhat entertained me, Gulliver's Travels did not do justice to its source materials (books) and was too predictable that even little kids can figure it out. Expand
  23. Jan 9, 2011
    I enjoyed this movie was not the funniest movie in the world but it was goofy and good overall.sure it had a few crappy stupid parts but dont all movies have a few parts were your like that was retarted.
  24. May 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gulliver's Travels is an entertaining movie, interesting and very outspoken, which brings the hilarious and talented Jack Black, who follow him personally as a fan. The film has great effects, and characters are sticky. Expand
  25. Jun 2, 2011
    If Jack Black wasn't in this, it would be zero, he gets a one for being his usual self, but a truly dreadful movie that gets worse and makes less and less sense the longer it goes on. The usually hilarious Billy Connolly is completely wasted as is the rest of the admittedly Z-list British cast.

Avoid, only £1.50 to rent from Blockbusters and it was still a waste of money.
  26. Jan 9, 2012
    Well, the movie is really cool to watch with your family, mostly your kids, DON'T expect this to be amazing because it isn't, it's just a relaxing movie to watch without care if it has a great story or a great action part.
    Nothing to do? Reunite the family and watch this.
  27. Dec 2, 2011
    This is a cool movie. I thought it was funny, even if others did not laugh. In some ways, I think the story of this movie is better than the story of the book. I also prefer this modern story better.
  28. Apr 12, 2013
    This remake of an old classic tale is ruined in most ways possible. I just don't understand why Jack Black agrees to be a part of these cheesy, stupid kids movies. I just don't understand it. Also, the characters, along with the humor are botjust stale, boring and just down right uninteresting. I was at least hoping for at least a laugh or two, but sadly, there was nothing good to laugh at. Not even the scene when Gulliver takes the piss to save the building from burning. That was probably the worst moment out of the whole movie. Let me just save you the trouble. DON'T WATCH THIS! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Jan 7, 2011
    At one point, Black puts out a fire by pissing on it. It's my job as a critic to piss on this dumb excuse for a movie. Consider it done.
  2. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Dec 30, 2010
    Listless, dull, and totally lacking in spectacle.
  3. Reviewed by: Michael O'Sullivan
    Dec 25, 2010
    Unnecessary and unfunny re-imagining of the classic satire by Jonathan Swift.