8.4

1. KaseyS.
    Mar 29, 2008
    They need to add a section where we can find the highest USER rated movies. because if this movie scored a freakin 16/100 you can't trust a critic!! Half Baked is absolutely hilarious... I could watch it 100 times... every time it's been on tv I'm there! hell I'm gonna go buy it on dvd just for the good karma that will result in having this awesome movie in my house.
  2. AdamT.
    Aug 26, 2008
    Half Baked is an amazing comedy, you don't have to be stoned to be busting up laughing through the whole movie. Half baked is deffinatly a stoner comedy though, so if you smoke pot, this movie will almost certainly be in your top 10 favorite movies.
  3. GleepW.
    Apr 23, 2008
    Kasey, think about you dumbass. Who else would come in here 10 years after the movie first came out? Strictly fans of this movie! The movie itself was pretty horrible. Curiosity just brought me in here.
  4. JezusG.
    Jul 8, 2004
    Watch this movie while high and it will change your life.
  5. JimB.
    Oct 10, 2005
    Lighten up! This is a great party movie. Or anytime movie! Laugh and quit worrying so much about the script. Sometimes it's not what is said...but how you say it.
  6. KaceyG
    Mar 29, 2005
    Good movie. I wonder why dont the stupid critics don't like it.
  7. smartypants1
    Jun 9, 2005
    Always a favorite among my stoner friends. Great pot humor.
  8. JacksonG.
    Jan 4, 2007
    First off, the critics "one-liners" are terrible. "It's a bomb, man, not the bomb," "A couple of hash brownies short of a satisfying cinematic picnic," "Sitting on your couch watching these morons sit on their couch and get wasted is like being the only straight guest at a pot party. Everyone else is laughing, and you're left wondering why." Those are way worse than any of this First off, the critics "one-liners" are terrible. "It's a bomb, man, not the bomb," "A couple of hash brownies short of a satisfying cinematic picnic," "Sitting on your couch watching these morons sit on their couch and get wasted is like being the only straight guest at a pot party. Everyone else is laughing, and you're left wondering why." Those are way worse than any of this movie's "failed laughs". Secondly, Half-Baked can be enjoyed by people that smoke pot and those that do not. Although, their probably is an age cap of about 50 though. Expand
  9. MikeY
    Jul 20, 2007
    Funnest movie I have ever seen, hence the best. I enjoy myself more with this movie than ANY other. It is too ironic to see that whoever wrote/copied the NY times review can't spell INTELLIGENT. duh.
  10. CashA.
    Feb 25, 2009
    One of my favorite movies to watch when I'm bored. Granted, the second half drags on a little bit, but this movie gave my generation some great stoner quotes.
  11. ChrisR.
    Sep 21, 2002
    This movie is so funny!!! I´ve seen it at least 20 times.
  12. C.Aned
    Jan 15, 2003
    The funniest film in the world. You can never tire from it, especially at the end of a night.
  13. ColeB.
    Apr 13, 2003
    IT'S THE SHIZNIT!
  14. JohnJ.
    Sep 29, 2003
    The only way to see this movie is high. I can see that the critics are not allowed or not inclined to smoke a bleezee during their reviews. Therefore, they cannot accurately judge this movie.
  15. SmokeyMcpott
    Mar 5, 2004
    Who ever gave this movie a low rating has no sense of humor. if they had the time to sit and blaze a phatty and then watch it they would understand."I'm Rick James, Bitch!"
  16. HenryS.
    May 4, 2004
    Smoke it upppp dave chappelle is hilarious.... YYEEEAA i love dave chappelle and his show is hilarious 2.. o yea and smokey mcpott i'm "rick james bitch"
  17. AJ
    Feb 23, 2005
    This is one of the best comedies ever!
  18. NathanS.
    Mar 8, 2005
    You are all crazy, overly critical people who don't know how to enjoy yourselves. Sure, I hate weed jokes and stoner plots as well, but the performances and jokes that Dave Chappelle came up with, as well as the ad-libbing of all of the other actors, makes this a great movie to chill out with and just watch for FUN. It makes fun of stoners while indulging, and it had awesome cameos You are all crazy, overly critical people who don't know how to enjoy yourselves. Sure, I hate weed jokes and stoner plots as well, but the performances and jokes that Dave Chappelle came up with, as well as the ad-libbing of all of the other actors, makes this a great movie to chill out with and just watch for FUN. It makes fun of stoners while indulging, and it had awesome cameos by respected celebrities (who obviously got the joke much more than the critics on this page did). Buy the special edition DVD today if you're a comedy fan or Dave Chappelle fan (if you haven't purchased it 20x already). It worth its weight in special features and classic joking around. Expand
  19. DanD
    Sep 29, 2005
    This movie is just plain stupid. I didn't laugh once and didnt think any of the jokes were funny in the least. Skip this sorry excuse for a movie.
  20. JimmyP.
    Jul 30, 2006
    Classic cult film...before dave chappelle was dave chappelle. Classic stoner scenerio, original in getting laughs.
  21. StoneyMcStoned
    Nov 8, 2002
    If you've never smoked, you won't get it. See the critics' reviews above for examples of this.
  22. JohnB.
    Sep 9, 2002
    Non-stop laughter, not just for stoners, but it helps to be one.
  23. JamesBongwater
    May 17, 2003
    Best pot movie ever! Much better then "How High"! Light it up and enjoy!
  24. MichaelR.
    Jul 31, 2003
    What the hell? This is a very funny movie. If you haven't seen it yet, you can probably catch it on Comedy Central sometime this month.
  25. RabA.
    Aug 15, 2003
    Dave Chappelle is great in this movie.
  26. BaldEagle
    Jan 25, 2004
    This movie is admittedly dumb, but one of the funnier movies I have ever seen. Good for some sophomoric laughs, and big ones at that.
  27. GaborA.
    Feb 17, 2004
    It took the influence of marijuana to make this movie. It takes the influence of something a lot stronger to enjoy this bomb.
  28. TheProject
    Jun 2, 2004
    Whoever didn't like this movie must be smoking something themselves. I think that this movie is hilarious regardless if you're sober or not. Some of you people are too damn uptight. This wasn't meant to be some cinematic masterpiece! C'mon the scene where Scarface quits the burger joint... CLASSIC! Get a god damn sense of humor will ya.... Take it for what it is! A Whoever didn't like this movie must be smoking something themselves. I think that this movie is hilarious regardless if you're sober or not. Some of you people are too damn uptight. This wasn't meant to be some cinematic masterpiece! C'mon the scene where Scarface quits the burger joint... CLASSIC! Get a god damn sense of humor will ya.... Take it for what it is! A satirical comedy! This was not meant to be a cinematic masterpiece by any means. LIGHTEN UP and stop being queer. PAYCE! Expand
  29. BryanM.
    Jul 1, 2004
    This movie was hilarious from beginning to end. Hell, I've never smoked the stuff and I still loved it!
  30. JONASF.
    Aug 5, 2004
    An excellent movie. actually I think that this...movie is the best commedy in the history...
  31. Beercan
    Jan 11, 2005
    Watching this film again after all these years, it's pretty clear to me why Dave Chappelle is only now becoming famous - he kept starring in movies like this. I love silly pothead movies as much as the next dope, but this film makes the crucial mistake of thinking that endlessly talking about weed is all that's required for it to be funny. It's not. Desite an amusing cameo Watching this film again after all these years, it's pretty clear to me why Dave Chappelle is only now becoming famous - he kept starring in movies like this. I love silly pothead movies as much as the next dope, but this film makes the crucial mistake of thinking that endlessly talking about weed is all that's required for it to be funny. It's not. Desite an amusing cameo from Jon Stewart and a pretty funny bit early on involving a black woman and a horse, this is strictly for teens and frat boys. If you really want to see what Chappelle was capable of before his show, check out his performance as the stand-up comic in the Nutty Professor remake. As for this mess, these days probably even Dave himself would say: it sucks, b..ch. Collapse
  32. fink-
    Nov 28, 2005
    I must agree, not david chapelle's best work, but I was still laughing. It is one of those stupid/funny comedies, it's about weed for heaven sake! I'm sorry but it was funny!!
  33. AlexB
    Feb 14, 2005
    What do these critics know anyway?! The English Patient my ass!!!
  34. BorisM.
    Feb 21, 2005
    Half Baked is simply... a classic, the movie that started it all for Dave Chappelle. Humorous and entertaining, a cult classic to say the least. I was astonished to see it rated as one of the worst movies of all time. What were these critics thinking?
  35. ColinS.
    Mar 17, 2005
    Why is this movie on the worst ever list? That's not fair.
  36. T-DoggHall
    Mar 19, 2005
    It was so-so, not to good not to bad, ok, it was "half-baked", dave chapelle could have been better but he could have been worse.
  37. Val
    Sep 15, 2005
    I love this move its to funniest ever.
  38. BrianK
    Apr 5, 2007
    This is an example of "sometimes even the best critics get it wrong" this is the best Pot movie since Cheech and Chong. David Chapelle is hilarious. This movie is his stand up and it is funny, from start to finish, I don't understand why the dumber, more dismal and lamer Harold and Kumar is lauded by critics so much and this movie gets horrible reviews. I know critics smoked up, so This is an example of "sometimes even the best critics get it wrong" this is the best Pot movie since Cheech and Chong. David Chapelle is hilarious. This movie is his stand up and it is funny, from start to finish, I don't understand why the dumber, more dismal and lamer Harold and Kumar is lauded by critics so much and this movie gets horrible reviews. I know critics smoked up, so it's not like they can just sit there and not get it! Expand
  39. SeanB.
    Nov 26, 2002
    Lots of pot fun - with a good message for any burnout at the end. Definately enjoyable by anyone who's known a (lovable) stoner!
  40. Pat
    Nov 24, 2003
    This movie is hilarious, and I am as straight edged as it gets. Dave Chappelle is awesome. I'm disappointed to see that this movie received such a low score, but nearly every movie in the bottom 200 is a "dumb comedy" or a Pokemon movie. (Seriously, check it out).
  41. MikeM.
    Jan 15, 2003
    This is the funniest movie in the wor.
  42. Kristin
    Jan 27, 2004
    This movie was AWESOME!!!!! I LOVE IT.. I like seeing it sober, but its 10x as funny when you see it under the influence of a "funny cigarette."
  43. WalshW.
    Jun 12, 2004
  44. ChuckM.
    Jun 29, 2004
    Speaking as a life-long tee-totaler, I am living proof that you don't have to be high to enjoy this movie. I've seen it several times and it is always funny. Keep in mind, I am stone sober. To be completely honest, I'm not even pro-pot. I just like good comedy.
  45. MikeF.
    Sep 21, 2004
    How come Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back gets a 51 but this gets a much lower score. This movie is very funny and to anyone who hasn't seen it I recommend it. Two words "Dave Chappelle" enough said.
  46. joeb.
    Dec 13, 2005
    BEST MOVIE EVER.
  47. MaxK.
    May 23, 2005
    This is a brilliant comedy that deserves a lot more recognition than these critics have given it. Hilarious. Recommended to anyone who's ever smoked herb.
  48. KrezK
    Nov 15, 2006
    Could be one of the best of all times. Unfortunatly, the critics have trouble laughing at any movie that doesn't have some baby boomer slant to it. Anyone else will feel stoned from laughing so hard.
  49. DuckSpeak
    Apr 16, 2006
    A must have for any comedy collection.
  50. JonnyO.
    Jun 24, 2006
    idk what the critics were thinking on this one. half-baked is one of those movies like grandmas boy, or freddy got fingered that will have u laughing the whole way throught but the critics just cant seem to find anything funny about it. Instant classic.
  51. JB
    Aug 11, 2006
    This is the film that made Chappelle the household name he is today. It's very funny without ever trying to give itself a serious undertone, even at the end (where I think it broke the mold). Ignore the critics on this one. They must have been stoned.
  52. SallyB.
    Jul 22, 2009
    This movie is halarious and I'm surprised to see it in the bottom 100 list.
  53. SteveD.
    Nov 25, 2002
    No doubt one of the funniest movies EVER made.
  54. PeteM.
    Nov 18, 2003
    This was a funny movie. No im not a stoner.
  55. DaveF.
    Dec 23, 2005
    It's Reeferrific!
  56. Dec 21, 2013
    Its funny how different the critic reviews and the user reviews are.. this is a stoner man it dont get any better than this for a pothead film! Definitely in my top 5 stoner flicks of all time. This is the movie that setdave chappelle on fire and if you love dave youll love this
  57. Jun 5, 2014
    I like some of the critics vocabulary when reviewing. It's obvious this movie wasn't designed for these people. If you like a good laugh to some stoner jokes this movie can't really be beat. What else are you really looking for in a movie called Half-Baked? Some epic with Russel Crow? Definitely in the top 5 best stoner movies
  58. Jan 10, 2015
    Its is best if you smoke before and during, but I first seen it at the movie theater with a friend and his father neither of them smoked and at that time I had only a few times, and not before seeing it my first time...but that did not tarnish this movie, I have loved it,will love it going into my next life... thank you for all the great memories!

Overwhelming dislike - based on 14 Critics

I kind of liked this slow, stoner comedy.
  2. The humor in this movie is basically anthropological notes on doper culture and behavior: junk-food frenzies, smoking rituals and hardware, non sequitur conversation, and short-term memory loss. In other words, stuff that passed into the realm of cliché back in the time of the Johnson administration.
  3. Reviewed by: Ron Wells
    The title refers to your expected condition when you see this movie. Oh well. It'll be HUGE on video.