8.8

1. Mar 12, 2011
    Greatest horror film that has ever been made. This movie is amazing and will always be my favorite. It is so creepy and scary without even showing blood and gore. I can't imagine not loving this movie. This movie is horror! You can't top Michael Myers. John Carpenter is amazing!!
  2. SFN
    Jan 8, 2011
    this movie is amazing, the storyline is amazing, the actors are good, and the whole creation of micheal myers is awesome, John Carpenter is a genuis!!!
  3. Oct 5, 2012
    Halloween One of the best horror movie's 0f the 70's The Exorcist (1973). The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) . The Omen (1976). Carrie (1976). Halloween (1978)
  4. Nov 1, 2012
    This is a fun, scary movie. "Halloween" is the horror flick that provided the formula for all slasher flicks to come. Though by today's standards it looks really low budget, it thrives in thrills, and the use of atmosphere rather than gore only intensifies our adrenaline. Jamie Lee Curtis gives a great performance (and the one that ruined her career for years), but the real star is director John Carpenter, who directs each scene who loads of tension. "Halloween" is constantly suspenseful, and a work of art among the horror genre-- just avoid all of the needless sequels. Expand
  5. Dec 9, 2012
    A brief retort to two common criticisms of this great, great movie.... 1) "Not a lot of big scares, lots of down time." These people have a very loose grasp, if any, on the concept of building tension... To them, the scenes where the killer is peering in from the background are meaningless if they don't immediately culminate in a satisfying kill scene. This may seem funny to say, but this movie was made at a time when nobody knew who Michael Myers was or what he was capable of. Watching this movie through the eyes of a newcomer might help these people appreciate suspense. 2) "They don't give us a reason for all the killing" That's the point! It's scarier that way, if you don't even know what motivates the killer, then he becomes even less human. There's no emotion, no reasoning, just a body walking around, taking death wherever it goes. People who have a problem with this are simply too used to having each and every background detail spoon-fed to them to enjoy a movie that purposely leaves the darkest parts to the imagination. 3) I read one review calling this movie "cliched"... which hilariously overlooks the fact that Halloween *started all those cliches!* So essentially, this person blames this movie for being too much like the movies that copied it... have fun with that one.... Yes, this movie does have its shortcomings (acting, editing, modest production values) but it still stands as an understated masterpiece, and the granddaddy of a sub-genre all its own. The buildup and release of tension are timed as skilfully as any scare flick ever made, and the near-total lack of blood only serves to underline the fact that the world's first slasher flick got its teeth from real directing and storytelling as opposed to cheap visuals and gratuitous violence. JUST REMEMBER: this movie must be seen in full widescreen, otherwise the framing will ruin some key scenes. Expand
  6. Oct 14, 2013
    I LOVE HALLOWEEN. It's one of the best horror movies ever made and my favourite horror movie! Any fan of horror movies is intimately familiar with Halloween even if they've not seen the actual film itself. The movie has been mimicked and parodied extensively and the cliches present have become embedded in pop culture. The movie begins with the view from the eyes of a killer, who watches a girl have sex with her boyfriend. As soon as he leaves, he stabs her with a knife. The killer turns out to be her six-year old brother and is committed to a mental institution. Fifteen years later, Michael Myers (Tony Moran), returns to his old home to kill once again. His targets this time include three high school students: Annie (Nancy Kyes), Lynda (P. J. Soles), and Laurie (Jamie Lee Curtis). Who dies next and who ends up living is the guessing game the audience gets to play (along with the characters). Whether intentionally or not, the movie ends up having a moralistic message. All the people who are killed are involved in sexual acts. Michael Myers is portrayed as the embodiment of evil, as opposed to being a "normal" serial killer, and some of the things he does has a hint of the supernatural. It's interesting that the movies Halloween inspired, in the slash-and-gore horror genre, borrow less from the Psycho-like feel present in the film and instead seek to showcase the scenes we don't see. There's little gore in the film and a lot of the fear is psychological. The movie is made more frightening simply because we don't see body parts splattered about. Yet later movies chose to abandon suspense as a means of achieving terror and sought instead to shock people by showing more blood and gore. Halloween's status as a cult film is assured. The movie has several flaws, but the primary reason it has gained such a status has to do with director John Carpenter's minimalist distillation of the most pure, adrenaline generating, horror and suspense moments seen before in previous films. Definitely worth a rental on Halloween night. Expand
  7. May 21, 2013
    Wow, was that a pretty good and scary movie.
    My favorite old horror movie after Carrie.
    That epic music and that nervous breakdown!
    Say hello to the nightmares.
  8. Feb 17, 2014
    In my opinion, one of the scariest films ever made! Low budget, but the acting is solid and the scares come at a fast clip. You feel this movie as much as you see it, thanks to Carpenter's now legendary score. Jamie Lee Curtis shines as Laurie, as do the rest of the cast. Carpenter's direction is brilliant, especially that long opening shot. Also, the film does not rely on gore. The lighting is perfect for frightening the audience and the pale-masked killer, Michael Myers, looks and feel more menacing than Jason or Freddy.
    First horror movie I ever saw, and still love to this day. Michael Bay's/ Rob Zombie's remake were vulgar and atrocious.
  9. Oct 30, 2010
    Brilliant film. Great suspenseful movie, John Carpenter is a genius. Not much gore but certainly one of the best horror movies ever. The music is well-written and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. Michael Myers is the ultimate horror movie character, well thought-out, a simple character yet creates an atmosphere which is incredibly scary. First saw this film when I was 10 and scared the life out of me, overall, a great film and possibly the best horror movie ever. Expand
  10. j30
    Nov 9, 2011
    This is a great movie that has dated a bit, but the premise and atmosphere is creepier than Hell. No guts, no glory doesn't apply here, there is little or no blood and still manages to scare. The thought of being watched has always made the hair on the back of my neck stand.
  11. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: Why appreciate Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street when you can appreciate this? Halloween started it ALL.

The thing that truly makes this one a classic is that it is certainly a slasher, but it also manages to maintain the actual â
  12. Nov 11, 2013
    This is an honestly suspenseful thriller it truly builds up right from the beginning. The fantastic simplicity of using the same soundtrack throughout lacks monotone and adds creepy familiarity, the neighborhood as the setting proves to be a falsely secure yet sunny environment. You're almost begging Michael Myers not to take off the mask which illustrates someone who looks human, but feels inhuman with those dark, merciless look in where his eyes should be. The colour is a muted, almost grainy tone, giving a more authentic 80's feel, with the shadow in the background disappearing with a second look which we unquestionably accept until the real thrills happen, as the haunting presence that contrasted with the setting is able to come out. Even when he does, Myers is still both intimidating and ruthless as he picks them off.
    The self-reference of a director undoubtedly feels out of place, but the psychiatric character of Dr. Loomis played brilliantly with undeniably precise questioning by Donald Pleasance. We can forgive his more likely ridiculous stance as he searches for his patient, because it is counter-acted by such an emotionless, inhuman embodiment of nature vs. nurture with no solid reason to kill.
    The running time was in tune with the story-line without frequent jump scares to provide nutrition, the kills worthwhile when they happen with a amazingly juicy one in the downstairs kitchen. It works with realism a quiet, normal neighborhood disrupted by, rather than a raging presence, a silent stalker that symbolically represents the real safety of our neighborhood which can be likewise seen in other twisted slashers such as A Nightmare On Elm Street. The killer that comes out from beneath its shell and strikes without warning. A 6 year old with no soul, a butcher knife and murder on his mind? That is an argument that writes itself.
  13. Oct 31, 2012
    The horror movie of horror movies. Whenever someone is asked to listen a popular horror movie, A great majority of them will say Halloween for a reason. It's a must see classic for all horror fans.
  14. Nov 1, 2013
    On of the greatest American slashers ever created, its the simple fact that the main antagonist is just their, staring at you through his cold heartless eyes, stalking the viewer, its so goddamn creepy
  15. Sep 9, 2012
    Extremely scary and well made low budget horror film that delivers quality scares without gore. Carpenter's direction is brilliant, as is his legendary soundtrack. Very atmospheric and chilling.
  16. Nov 8, 2012
    One of the greatest horror films ever made; Halloween has an impeccable system of suspense, and echoes the great classic, Psycho.
  17. Nov 10, 2012
    Film di suspence e non di splatter, nonostante con il tempo si è creato un mito il quale vedeva coinvolto halloween come uno dei primi horror splatter, ciò nonostante di sangue nel film se ne veda davvero poco. Carpenter ha inventato un mito, intrattiene, stupisce e induce lo spettatore a immedesimarsi con la protagonista Lorie Strode, interpretata da una appena 21 Jamie Lee Curtis. La colonna sonora divenuta un cult, venne poi riadattata nei successivi capitoli, tutti inferiori al primo. ma il vero protagonista è il killer: "Michael Myers" forse uno dei migliori killer, grazie al fatto che si discosti dalla realtà dato che nn si veda mai la sua faccia, tranne nella scena iniziale. Un cult superiore a tutti i film horror degli anni 70-80. Capolavoro. Expand
  18. May 13, 2013
    Talk about a classic. When people talk about the first slasher film, they actually say Psycho, but this is a close contender. Not that it's not as good as that film, in fact I think that Psycho is a bit better made compared to this, but I'm here to talk about Halloween. This is by far my favorite horror movie, and I'm a Jason fan above all. The killer is not what makes this film; entirely, some good casting and photography makes everything better. Sure by todays standards this not considered scary or horrifying, but then again what is? Anyways, ever so rarely do you get a timeless story for a horror movie, because by now they all run dry in trying to be in on the joke. But wasn't great when you could watch a horror movie and not have to watch them make fun of themselves and the clichés they follow? I'm always up for watching a movie, of almost any genre; drama is not my forte, but horror would be my first suggestion. I watched this with friends on Halloween, it was the start of my horror movie phase; in watching all the classic slasher films, and this one came out on top. If you must know the order of the other 3 main series would be: nightmare on Elm street, Texas chainsaw massacre, and ironically Friday the 13th. Like I said previously, the camera work works well with the suspense, adding to it and making it more "terrifying". Terrifying might be a bit extreme. The story is good, it was made at a time where the formula wasn't dried up yet. Along with timeless storytelling, it manages to create some interesting themes in it. Talking about suburbia and its effects on certain people, pro feminism in how it's a damsel saving the day. So this is not just a bunch of nostalgia for me, this is a well put together film by a talented writer(s), and I think this is the definitive horror movie that should be viewed by anyone who's interested in horror or just plain filmmaking. Expand
  19. Aug 30, 2013
    Revolutionary in fathering the slasher genre and catering to the masses without the blood and gore viewers are so sensitized by today. Moving briskly at a pace in which the brooding fear of The Shape's attacks build you're left shivering in your seat as the excellent score carries the mood. Carpenter crafted an immaculate piece of Horror, without perverting art in the name of profit.
  20. Oct 10, 2013
    The fun scare-fest that it is, Halloween fulfills all your expectations. It's creepy, messes with your mind, and suspense and horror are there. It avoids some horror movie clichés, but still uses some. But, maybe we can forgive that, since this movie was in 1978 when the clichés we see in horror movies nowadays were just starting out then.
  21. Sep 20, 2013
    This movie is a diamond in the horror field. There is yet to be a movie made to even come close to matching it's perfection. Jamie Lee Curtis couldn't have stumbled upon a better debut. The music score is terrifying and eerie and the white mask of the shape scares you even after the movie's over. The acting was perfect and the filming was perfect. Especially for a bunch of teenagers making a horror film in 1978. Beautifully directed movie. Brilliant. Expand
  22. Aug 4, 2014
    A truly suspenseful and terrifying film. John Carpenter is able to bring the scary without gore or torture, just good old fashion tension. Jamie Lee Curtis is brilliant and the films climax will leave you with chills
  23. Feb 8, 2014
    This is the best movie ever. I was horrified of Michael's stealth and his strength, also he is seen on screen for about 9 minutes and that's what makes the movie scary and how it's creepy in a stalker like manner instead of those crappy horror flicks with nothing but brutal and mass murder. They should have never made sequels after this masterpiece. Wait who is that? OH GOD ITS MICHAEL MYERS! He's got a knife and is walking toward me!
    I'M KENNY FROM THE WALKING DEAD AND I REVIEW IT, OUCH! ... to save lives.
    (Heavy breathing) ................................................................................................
  24. Aug 9, 2014
    Ok, let's get this straight, this movie is not scary. Suspenseful, not scary. This is an old film so it wasn't going to be as scary as the new horror films. That doesn't matter though because I really enjoyed this film. It had a few violent parts, nothing like Saw or anything. You know, just stabbing and that kind of stuff. This movie was amazing, I recommend all horror fans, and also everyone, to watch this. Expand
  25. Sep 16, 2014
    A phenomenal horror movie that was an instant classic. Halloween has minimal gore and is more chilling than gory, Michael Meyers is a horror icon. ---
  26. Sep 10, 2014
    Halloween is one of the best and scariest movies of 1978 along with Phantasm.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  27. Sep 29, 2014
    pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

1. Reviewed by: Mike Emery
    Not entirely without some laughable or dated scenes, Halloween remains an original that continues to inspire a genre and probe middle America's fears about what's really lurking in the laundry room after midnight.
    Halloween is an absolutely merciless thriller...I would compare it to "Psycho."
    From a shock-and-suspense point-of-view, Halloween is the rival of Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho." With only a few arguable exceptions (such as "The Exorcist"), there isn't another post-1970 release that comes close to it in terms of scaring the living hell out of a viewer... A modern classic of the most horrific kind.