5.6

1. Jul 1, 2014
    An atrocious attempt to make the audience feel sorry for the poor psychopathic mass murderer. Carpenter himself said that the audience should never try and relate with Michael Myers. Even if we took the broken childhood explanation at face value, it still seems inadequate, since everyone around Michael already is a reprehensible supervillain in the making.

The part of Dr. Loomis'
    reactions in the original Halloween was paramount to the full Michael Myers experience, here Loomis is just an incompetent bumbler who needs to remind the audience constantly that he failed in his treatment of Michael.

Even the horror factor is too much in your face to make it build up any tension from one jumpscare to another.
  2. Oct 17, 2013
    THIS IS WHAT ROB ZOMBIE MADE OF MY FAVOURITE HORROR FILM? Well, this is. This is it. My review of watching a crappy version of Halloween. Director Rob Zombie returns with his reimagining of John Carpenter's classic- Halloween. You must be thinking- is this the same cheap excellent horror? Nope. Not at all. Halloween has 90% more sex than the original and 100% more gore than the original. Sex and horror work. Well, at least for some movies. Halloween isn't that crappy, ya know. Rob Zombie has great imagination here and does what the trailer promises. It's demons, sex and gore. What we want. The problem with this one is that boobs are not something that makes a slasher movie. This film has so much sexual and bloody issues that Carpenter's cult was wwwaaaaaaaaayyyyy better. Zombie gathers an okay cast but makes a cheesy sex, rock and roll version of Carpenter's classic. Expand
  3. Oct 10, 2013
    Zombie does not succeed here. The movie is a hollow remake of the satisfying original, and doesn't live up to it at all, even in a "remake" kind of way.
  4. Jun 20, 2013
    Finally the retelling of the classic story of a killer escaping a mental asylum and returning to his home town to continue his killing spree. To think that it wouldn't be too hard to remake such a simple idea, but I was surprised in how brutal, and how boring this flick is. I mean wow, is it that hard to make a remake about something that isn't that hard to do. Yet here we got two different films, the origin part and the remake part. In all honesty the first part is the only part that is somewhat interesting. We sorta get the history of Michael Myers, that he was just a messed up kid in a bad family environment. I'am just inserting my opinion here, but wouldn't be more interesting if he was a messed up child, but had good parents? I don't know, I don't know what the right decision would have been. I am going to say right now what the major problem of this flick is: it's too brutal. To think that a horror movie can be too cruel, but here it's different. The original was great for its subtle killings and camera technique, it's the exact opposite here. Too much violence, and an annoying shaking camera. The only good parts in this movie are the people who play Michael Myers, the kid is pretty creepy, and that Sabertooth guy (Taylor Mane) is pretty bruiting. Expand
  5. Jan 22, 2013
    A movie so utterly devoid of tension, it desperately tries to make up for it with T&A, gore and constant action. Athough it delivers all of the latter, it never comes together and every scene seems like it was smacked on just because the director needed the actors to have somewhere to go so he could film 'm. Will definitely not be known as a classic, not a cult horror nor even an amusing B-horror movie. It is just plain bad. Expand
  6. Dec 9, 2012
    I've watched and re-watched this movie despite myself, trying to find some reason not to finally and conclusively write off Rob Zombie as a one-note hack... and I simply can't do it. Not only does he fail to capture any of the style and essence of John Carpenter's source material, he can barely make this movie stand on its own legs. Don't be fooled by the vastly improved production values
  7. Mar 20, 2012
    Really disappointing. This film is not only meant to be a remake of the brilliant horror film Halloween from the 70s but it is also meant to explore and explain how Michael became the brutal killer that he is, but this film fails on both fronts. It doesn't really explain why he is a murderer, instead we just see Michael killing people as a child and by the time the film reaches the classic Halloween premise with Michael returning as an adult, the film just turns into completely mindless gore and violence that quickly stops being scary. There's just nothing clever in the horror, the only things it has to offer are its jump scares and its gore. There also seems to be a number of completely pointless events to get a reaction from the audience, such as a random rape scene...I'm not joking. This film had potential but it has sadly failed to give us anything more than just a few mild scares. Expand
  8. j30
    Jan 26, 2012
    Really no need for this movie. Does Hollywood have any new ideas nowadays? Rob Zombie has interesting ideas, but they go to waste in this pile of poo. Who's really interested in disgusting people, who we don't care about, do horrible things for 109 minutes? The film is like going into a strip club at 6 in the morning, you just feel dirty and stupid.
  9. Aug 12, 2011
    I hated this movie. I know he wanted to expand on the idea of the sibling relationship and explore Michael's childhood, but honestly who cares? All I could think was how I wanted it to get to him when he was older. The simple story that the first Halloween portrayed was utterly ruined.
  10. Jun 12, 2011
    When I watched the original Halloween I just remember thinking "this needs more boob and blood." Oh wait no I didn't. One thing thats been lost on the horror genre is that we as an audience don't need to see everything. We all have our imaginations and most of the time that can be a whole lot scarier then anything that can be put on screen. I don't need to see every single gory detail of the murder just the person being killed by the killer can be scary enough. Also why did we need the rape scene. It did nothing to further the plot except in telling us that Michael got out while two red necks were raping a girl. The theater version didn't have the rape and I didn't have any issues with how he got out. The only positive from this movie is that it does a good job of giving a back story too Michael. But the truth is we didn't need a back story, again no back story is almost scarier. Watch the original its a much better film. Expand
  11. Apr 22, 2011
    Horrifically brutal, unoriginal, topped with a poor script and cast, Halloween is one of the worst remakes to hit the horror genre yet. It is hard to watch not only from the gore, but also from every other individual aspect. Pass on this one.
  12. Mar 22, 2011
    After watching so many greatest horror movies of all time, I heard that this remake was made and I haven't even seen it in theaters besides other great movies in 2007. Later, I decided to watch this on Youtube just to look at it. When I saw Michael Myers' parents arguing at each other, I was like, "Did that happen in the 1970s version?", and waited to see Michael kill her sister Judith Myers(just like that other movie), but When I saw his mother kill herself after seeing Michael killing another person, I stopped watching it and went on to something else.

I hate to say this, but Rob Zombie just simply failed to put some charm from the original. I mean, some of the scenes have reenactments from the original and Malcolm Mcdowell was the right actor for Dr. Loomis, but the storyline was very confusing, so uninteresting, and boringly dull. I'm sorry, but Rob Zombie would've at least try to make this remake good.

This movie may not be the worst ever, but its just forgettable.

At my highest hopes, this one deserves a 4/10 thanks to its reenactments and Malcolm Mcdowell.

1. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Leaves nothing to the imagination: Michael Myers is always right there in plain sight, committing mayhem sans suspenseful buildup or mystique.
    This is not a good movie but, considering what Halloween has evolved into over the course of seven sequels, it's perhaps better than it has a right to be.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark Bell
    As it stands, he made a noble attempt, and it could've been a Hell of a lot worse, but it's not as great a film as its potential hints at.