Hamlet 2

• Release Date: Aug 22, 2008
6.5

1. EricaErica
    Sep 7, 2008
    I thought this movie was hilarious. Silly fun, with some clever parts!
  2. MarkS
    Jan 2, 2009
    Coogan gives a superb performance I did not expect (even though I had been told). The film is hilarious--much funnier than some better-reviewed comedies (e.g. Forgetting Sarah Marshall, or Pineapple Express). And it is far more clever than even its champions give it credit for. I'm amazed people fault the plot (a wonderful send-up of "inspirational teacher" films); no one who Coogan gives a superb performance I did not expect (even though I had been told). The film is hilarious--much funnier than some better-reviewed comedies (e.g. Forgetting Sarah Marshall, or Pineapple Express). And it is far more clever than even its champions give it credit for. I'm amazed people fault the plot (a wonderful send-up of "inspirational teacher" films); no one who understands comedy should level such a criticism, anyway. Comedies exaggerate, take liberties, bizzare segues. While most run-of-the-mill comedies (see anything by an ex-SNL star) start strong and lose steam after a half hour when the plot kicks in, this film is filled with creative set-ups and delivers consistent laughs all the way through. What more can you want? Rock me, sexy Jesus! Expand
  3. AustinW.
    Aug 24, 2008
    I think this is a love it or hate it movie. If you laughed at "Rock me Sexy Jesus" in the trailer, you'll love it. I certainly did.
  4. CraigA.
    Sep 2, 2008
    Unfairly reviewed, this original attack on both the censorship and the creative freedom lobby showcases the stupidity of both. Steve Coogan's talentless but well-meaning drama teacher is cringeingly pathetic, yet strangely lovable.
  5. KathyS
    Sep 2, 2008
    Steve Coogan is very funny. Catherine Keener is perfect as his wife. The AA recovering alkie humor is priceless. Can't wait for his next film!
  6. DianeM.
    Aug 30, 2008
    I have tried all summer to see a "fun" movie that was also slightly meaningful. This fits the bill. Definitely mature, often extremely silly, but worth the time.
  7. jacobR
    Sep 1, 2008
    This movie was so funny couldn't have laughed harder. For the people that say this movie is offensive .... whats wrong with you Jesus kicks Satan in the butt ...and he is damn sexy!
  8. EricaM.
    Sep 7, 2008
    I loved the complete dedication of Steve Coogan to this role. He is so unabashadly pathetic and hopeful. Reminded me a little of Fellini's Nights of Cabiria - vis a vis the main character. I also loved the actual performance and the supporting cast of teenagers. The only reason it's not a 10 for me is that the wife / roommate subplot seemed a little weak, as did the casting for I loved the complete dedication of Steve Coogan to this role. He is so unabashadly pathetic and hopeful. Reminded me a little of Fellini's Nights of Cabiria - vis a vis the main character. I also loved the actual performance and the supporting cast of teenagers. The only reason it's not a 10 for me is that the wife / roommate subplot seemed a little weak, as did the casting for those characters... more for name value than true fit. Anyways. I completely recommend. Expand
  9. PrestonT.
    Aug 22, 2008
    This movie was awesome. Steve Coogan owned the whole thing, I can't believe it's getting such mixed reviews. This was MUCH better than Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Express!!! Steve Coogan plays a hilariously flamboyant eccentric straight man who loves theatre, and tries to save the drama program at the high school from being shut down. There's even some slapstick laughs This movie was awesome. Steve Coogan owned the whole thing, I can't believe it's getting such mixed reviews. This was MUCH better than Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Express!!! Steve Coogan plays a hilariously flamboyant eccentric straight man who loves theatre, and tries to save the drama program at the high school from being shut down. There's even some slapstick laughs thrown in, but it's really the subtleties and attention to detail in Steve's character that make this movie so amazing. GO SEE IT! Expand
  10. RayF.
    Aug 29, 2008
    Hilarious from start to finish. If you dont get it - you dont get it.
  11. Sep 25, 2010
    Beats hand down most of the hyped independent comedies! Very intelligent, very funny! A real gem! The negative reviews are probably from the Friedberg-Seltzer crowd. Go figure.

1. Coogan's mopiness is oddly riveting.
  2. Attaining somewhat of a bad parody of a comedy, screenwriters Andrew Fleming and Pam Brady have slapped together a string of gags in a hit-and-miss dither. Some of it is quite brainy.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Amusing but unevenly inspired tale of a deluded high school drama teacher's attempt to stage a career-saving extravaganza has some laughs, to be sure.