6.5

1. AshutoshD.
    Jul 3, 2008
    The story was weak in a lot of places, however, the acting and over all entertainment factor made up for the missing content to a certain extent. Now THIS is a film that begs for a remake with a more fully fleshed-out script and better plot and character development.
  2. MichaelH.
    Jul 6, 2008
    As a satire and comedy it is hilarious, as an action movie - the special effects were awesome, but the story was pretty damn weak after the first half of the film. I can see why it got somewhat poor reviews - it's worth seeing purely for the comedy though.
  3. Apr 17, 2013
    is an hilarious twist on the modern-day version of a superhero. He destroys cities while fighting crime, and he is often intoxicated during the process. He is rude and crass to everyone he meets. Does this guy need help? Sure, and its going to be a great experience to watch.
  4. Jun 19, 2013
    presents an interesting premise, but is disappointingly messy in its delivery. The film simply tries to be too much at once. The first half has a huge focus on humour, and while somewhat entertaining, the jokes are cheap and crude. In the second half abruptly turns into a painfully lame melodrama. I felt the romance element between Charlize Theron and Will Smiths' characters was totally presents an interesting premise, but is disappointingly messy in its delivery. The film simply tries to be too much at once. The first half has a huge focus on humour, and while somewhat entertaining, the jokes are cheap and crude. In the second half abruptly turns into a painfully lame melodrama. I felt the romance element between Charlize Theron and Will Smiths' characters was totally unnecessary. Jason Bateman steals the show and is one of the few redeeming factors in this mess of a film. Let's hope that the upcoming sequel has a better idea of what it wants to be and gets the formula right this time. Expand
  5. Sep 24, 2011
    "Hancock" has a great super start with a interesting premise. However as the movie progresses, you soon know the movie's worthless.
  6. May 22, 2011
    Some say that Will Smith makes anything watchable, and in most cases I'd agree. Not so with **** It's the inconsistency that gets me - it really doesn't know whether it wants to be a relatively dark origins story, or a comic take on superhero conventions, or a social satire. It tries to be all of these, and therefore fails to be any of them. It's not dark, funny or clever enough. WillSome say that Will Smith makes anything watchable, and in most cases I'd agree. Not so with **** It's the inconsistency that gets me - it really doesn't know whether it wants to be a relatively dark origins story, or a comic take on superhero conventions, or a social satire. It tries to be all of these, and therefore fails to be any of them. It's not dark, funny or clever enough. Will Smith's charisma and some nice effects can't hold up the car crash of a screenplay or make the "twist" in the last act even remotely surprising. It's just not very good. Expand
  7. Dec 29, 2010
    Whenever I first watched this movie, I just thought wow! Why I like it is because it's unique to other superhero movies. One of the best films I ever watched.
  8. Jennifer
    Jul 24, 2008
    I am so torn with scoring this movie. It was like two different movies. The first half was great but then it took a sharp turn in a different direction and for me kind of got stale for me. I would give the first half a strong 7 but the second half a low 6. Will was great and I loved Bateman too. The last half of the movie simply left me feeling unsatisfied.
  9. CharlieF.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Great comedy/action/etc!!
  10. WallE
    Jun 27, 2008
    No. Just no. HORRIBLE execution. Don't let them steal your money!
  11. MichaelA
    Sep 20, 2009
    Thank God i finally have a reason to punch Will Smith in the face, not to count the pointless story.
  12. MichaelE.
    Jul 10, 2008
    Seriously a wast of time and money seeing this Hollywood churn style of atypical and poor movie making. All hype and no style. This movie has set the African American community back fifty years with it's pathetic plot and characters.. Maybe BET can do something with it.
  13. CyrusG.
    Jul 6, 2008
    For the first 65 minutes of "Hancock," I was ready to give the movie a perfect 10. We saw great action, strong performances from the leads, original storyline, thought-provoking themes, and a great twist. But then at the climax, the film went down hill. The villain came across too much as a plot device than a real character, and the explanation of Hancock's powers gave me the For the first 65 minutes of "Hancock," I was ready to give the movie a perfect 10. We saw great action, strong performances from the leads, original storyline, thought-provoking themes, and a great twist. But then at the climax, the film went down hill. The villain came across too much as a plot device than a real character, and the explanation of Hancock's powers gave me the "that's it?" reaction. So because of those two things, I have to bring the rating down by two notches. Still, it is worth the price of admission and worthy of a sequel/prequel and buying on DVD. Expand
  14. Greg
    Jul 7, 2008
    Clever and fun with good pacing and effects. Charlize Theron plays it cool as a cucumber and Will Smith brings some real heat to this movie. For some reason, Will Smith's recent action movies haven't gotten the lovin' they deserved. This one deserves plenty.
  15. ChuckB.
    Oct 8, 2008
    This movie blew harder than Will Smith did while trying to get the roll. The twist was sh*ttastic, and the plot was stupid. Smith played himself at a bachelor party, and Charlize Theron was just a lazy bystander who added at least some amount of talent. Jason Bateman was the only shinning part of this hell ride. Effing worst film of the year. Well, just above Disaster Movie.
  16. IanA.
    Jul 13, 2008
    LOVED this movie. I don't understand why it has received so many poor reviews. It was really entertaining and not just the same old superhero type of movie, I think it was a cut above the rest and can thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for an hour and a half of fun escapism.
  17. KidA
    Jul 15, 2008
    Smith's self affliction gets old pretty soon. as does the plot, mired in its own indecisiveness. was this really the spawn of the watchmen chronicles? its either a weak morally charged story that forces introspection, or its one of those weak summer action pseudo cutesy comedy with a vintage penchant for tepid plot structure. pick one and you may be marginally satisfied. trying to Smith's self affliction gets old pretty soon. as does the plot, mired in its own indecisiveness. was this really the spawn of the watchmen chronicles? its either a weak morally charged story that forces introspection, or its one of those weak summer action pseudo cutesy comedy with a vintage penchant for tepid plot structure. pick one and you may be marginally satisfied. trying to squeeze both in doesn't fit and makes for a luridly awkward story. Expand
  18. EricC.
    Jul 2, 2008
    I thought it was one of the funniest movies ive seen in years alot better then these dumb criticts are beter then other movies theve reviewed like zohan are you kidding me that got a 54 and hancock a 48 zohan was garbage worst adam sandler movie ever made im sorry hancock deserves a way better score i personaly give it atleast a 98 the movie was great it was fun entertaining and full of I thought it was one of the funniest movies ive seen in years alot better then these dumb criticts are beter then other movies theve reviewed like zohan are you kidding me that got a 54 and hancock a 48 zohan was garbage worst adam sandler movie ever made im sorry hancock deserves a way better score i personaly give it atleast a 98 the movie was great it was fun entertaining and full of laughs i recomend everyone to go se this movie screw the criticts the dont know anything. Expand
  19. EricL.
    Jul 2, 2008
    70 min of great movie, 20 min of mediocrity. Still, one of the great summer movies this year, not that that says much.
  20. Steve
    Jul 2, 2008
    Enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Listen people. It's summertime. Movies are supposed to be fun. This one is. And the acting is actually pretty solid. Funny? Exciting? Visually stimulating? Check, check, and check. I found myself wondering how Iron Man got such strong reviews while Hancock seems destined for critical mediocrity, and the simple fact that the thought even Enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Listen people. It's summertime. Movies are supposed to be fun. This one is. And the acting is actually pretty solid. Funny? Exciting? Visually stimulating? Check, check, and check. I found myself wondering how Iron Man got such strong reviews while Hancock seems destined for critical mediocrity, and the simple fact that the thought even entered my mind should tell you all you need to know. Do yourself a favor and drop ten bucks to see this flick, because all the action translates best to the big screen. Expand
  21. AngelaP.
    Jul 3, 2008
    I am a huge Will Smith fan and have seen each of his 4th of July Mega movies, but this Hancock is terrible. The story line was ridiculous and boring. I wanted to walk out and leave the other five people who were suffering thru this as well. Will's choice in appearing in Hancock seemed to be a "must" do movie even if it is bad. He has to do better to keep his loyal fans happy. Hey, we I am a huge Will Smith fan and have seen each of his 4th of July Mega movies, but this Hancock is terrible. The story line was ridiculous and boring. I wanted to walk out and leave the other five people who were suffering thru this as well. Will's choice in appearing in Hancock seemed to be a "must" do movie even if it is bad. He has to do better to keep his loyal fans happy. Hey, we stuck with him after that Wild Wild West disaster. Expand
  22. JoshuaB.
    Jul 4, 2008
    This movie is well worth your time. I am a huge will smith fan, but skeptical of this role. I didn't think this was going to fit him, but I was wrong. Will smith is spectacular, along with opposite Charlize Theron, and suprisingly well Juno co-star Jason Bateman. A must see amongst all movies this summer.
  23. NsisongE
    Jul 5, 2008
    You really have to judge for your self. Its a good movie. Love the mix of comedy, drama, and action; but i wish it was longer. Unique storyline. Would watch it again.
  24. Dave
    Jul 5, 2008
    This movie was a piece of .....literally. The story was horrible. Not even the good actors/actress made it any better.....just not a good movie.
  25. ArtemG.
    Jul 5, 2008
    A really interesting twist of ideas combined with decent acting and cinematography. Not bad at all.
  26. RicoG
    Jul 5, 2008
    I dont care what critics think, i watch a movie and decide for myself. Sometimes critics dont know what their talking about. I think they just watch to many movies in the long run and are unhappy with their jobs. I loved this Movie and want to watch it again.
  27. MikeH.
    Jul 6, 2008
    I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Action is good, comedy is spot on, and good performances all around. I recommend seeing it.
  28. JoeR
    Jul 6, 2008
    What the hell was Peter Berg thinking? The first 50-55 minutes of this film was brilliance. Pure brilliance. Not soon after, Berg lost his mind. It's as if they brought in M. Knight Shyamalan to write and direct the final half hour of the film. The first hour was memorizing. The script was extremely amusing and tight. The last half hour was a piece of cow dung. As a movie that had What the hell was Peter Berg thinking? The first 50-55 minutes of this film was brilliance. Pure brilliance. Not soon after, Berg lost his mind. It's as if they brought in M. Knight Shyamalan to write and direct the final half hour of the film. The first hour was memorizing. The script was extremely amusing and tight. The last half hour was a piece of cow dung. As a movie that had forest fire potential, it faded to nothing more than an also ran. Expand
  29. RenarldoM.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nice twist,critics are stupid.Not much of a family movie,but it was good.Very funny good to see a super hero movie without marvel and dc.
  30. ShawnD.
    Jul 6, 2008
    David Denby compares the chemist of Smith and Theron to Bogart and Bacall...Is he on crack? The abrupt plot shift is a wtf moment that did not ring true, almost like it was two plots combined in one movie...multiple writers? Iron Man and Hulk are much better.
  31. BetsyM
    Jul 6, 2008
    I really enjoyed this movie. Good story, good acting. I guess the professional reviewers think they know better about how to critique a movie, but they missed the boat on this one.
  32. EddieB.
    Jul 6, 2008
    I didn't care much for Hancock. Here's a guy with abilities normal people can only dream about and he spends 80 years moping around and acting like a jerk. It's not fully explained why he acted like a jerk for so long or how he acquired his super powers in the first place, but no matter. Things get destroyed, and it's fun to watch. We even get several chuckles along I didn't care much for Hancock. Here's a guy with abilities normal people can only dream about and he spends 80 years moping around and acting like a jerk. It's not fully explained why he acted like a jerk for so long or how he acquired his super powers in the first place, but no matter. Things get destroyed, and it's fun to watch. We even get several chuckles along the way courtesy of Hancock and his PR specialist (Bateman). Late in the story, we finally learn of the interesting history between Smith and Theron's respective characters--a dynamic which should have been explored and explained a bit more. Instead, we're taken straight to a final underwhelming showdown (one where Smith makes his super-emotional, pursed lipped Oscar face) and a somewhat predictable resolution. In other words, Hancock moves too quickly from climax to conclusion. (That's what she said. Ha. Ha.) It was good for me, though. Expand
  33. JustinB.
    Jul 7, 2008
    First 1/2 is pretty good, (otherwise this movie would get a 2). The twist has to rank as one of the most pointless and unnecessary in all of history. Second half is one of the sappiest, poorly written, focus group tested films in recent memory. Blech.
  34. TravisS.
    Jul 8, 2008
    Over all this movie was ok. The flying could have been done a lot better every time will smith jumped off something is looked like he is 100% CG.
  35. ArtG
    Jul 9, 2008
    Should have been rated R we walked out after 15 minutes due to the excessively foul language.
  36. MarkB.
    Aug 1, 2008
    Don't get me wrong. as Debbie (Leslie Mann) in Knocked Up plaintively put it, "I LIKE Spider-Man"...and Iron Man, and Hellboy...given that every third summer action movie of the last few years seems to have been a superhero flick, what choice do I have? But as enjoyable as many of the big screen Big Two adaptations (DC and Marvel) have been, I mostly prefer my zap-pow-crunches to be Don't get me wrong. as Debbie (Leslie Mann) in Knocked Up plaintively put it, "I LIKE Spider-Man"...and Iron Man, and Hellboy...given that every third summer action movie of the last few years seems to have been a superhero flick, what choice do I have? But as enjoyable as many of the big screen Big Two adaptations (DC and Marvel) have been, I mostly prefer my zap-pow-crunches to be delivered from outside the box, because lesser-known adaptations and original screen creations can devise their own mythologies and ask questions that fanboy pressure can bar the established brand names from doing. I loved Pixar's The Incredibles, which examined the life of a superhero family whose powers were not only unappreciated but outlawed, M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable, which demonstrated how painful the life of a man who doesn't experience serious injuries can be, and the vastly underrated Dark Horse adaptation Mystery Men, an often hysterically funny and surprisingly rather sweet treat dealing with folks who have no superpowers whatsoever but conduct themselves as though they do. And I WANTED to love Hancock, but here's an example of a movie that would actually have done well to have been a bit LESS ambitious. The title character (Will Smith) is a drunken, self-loathing misanthrope who raises curmudgeonliness to the level of near-psychosis, and whose superhuman acts are roughly equivalent to a Boy Scout who not only drags a little old lady across the street who doesn't want to go, but gets her hit by a car in the process. Clearly a public relations makeover is in order, and the nicest PR man in film history (Jason Bateman) is up to the task. We know most of this from the trailers, and it's mostly amusing; had Hancock stuck to this simple but sturdy premise, we all would have fared the better for it. Unfortunately, there is the matter of the much-whispered-about Big Twist, which is not only notably jarring but seems like a cheat because the moviemakers provide too few script clues ahead of time to let the moviegoers have the joy of doing the math. (I sort of halfway figured it out in advance, but only by realizing that one big-name cast member was suspiciously not being given enough to do, looking at my watch, and saying to myself, "I'll bet THAT changes soon!") Moreover, the shakeup leads to a series of climactic, big-scale action set pieces that director Peter Berg (The Kingdom; the agony-of-defeat anti-sports flick Friday Night Lights) is incapable of staging or shooting. Robert Wilonsky accurately described Berg's directing style as angry; his first behind-the-camera effort was his best by far--1998's uncompromising, bracingly offensive and very, very funny Very Bad Things, but Berg's problem is that he films every subsequent movie he's made the exact same way, whether the material calls for it or not. What Hancock DOES prove, however, is Will Smith's unassailable charisma even when playing a totally unlikable character; small wonder he's known as The Man Who Owns July 4th. Smith is great at taking mass audiences to places that maybe they'd rather not go without him; he made 2006's punishing and depressing The Pursuit of Happyness that Christmas season's second biggest hit. As unsatisfying as Hancock's third act is, Smith still deserves credit for roping in $200 million for a movie that by all rights should've had shorter legs than the director of Iron Man ended up with at the end of Very Bad Things. Hey, did I mention that that one is STILL Peter Berg's best movie? Expand
  37. Sophie
    Aug 10, 2008
    This movie didnt know what it wanted to be it started as a comedy with a few decent jokes here and there, then it went all drama, then action. i couldnt keep up. in aword: awful.
  38. StECStEC
    Dec 1, 2008
    This was the best superhero movie of the summer only behind Dark Knight. Really this was a fantastic twist on the genre and it worked not too mention Will Smith is simply amazing in these big summer epic roles!
  39. ElliottW
    Dec 30, 2008
    Oh come on, the movie isnt THAT bad. Sure, the plot's thin, and the characters are un-developed, but it's enjoyable on the whole. The twist doesnt really ruin the movie at all, but it was a bit sudden. A good movie, with plenty of funny moments.
  40. BartM.
    Jul 10, 2008
    Started out as an enjoyable action-comedy, then completely falls apart at the plot twist, becoming dismal and plodding. The jerky hand-held camera work grows old quickly, and is a gimmicky contrived annoyance, making some shots annoying to simply watch. One of the worst endings ever.
  41. JanetN.
    Jul 1, 2008
    This movie has everything you could want in a summer blockbuster -- great humor & action. Will Smith is fabulous but Jason Bateman almost steals the show.
  42. SteveS.
    Jul 13, 2008
    Once again, the critics prove they have the intellectual depth of a carrot. As with all super-hero movies, this one does require some ability to suspend disbelief, but it certainly doesn't deserve the negative attention it's received to garner a "49" rating. The effects are superb, but effects don't make a movie. What makes a movie is the story. This one has it. The Once again, the critics prove they have the intellectual depth of a carrot. As with all super-hero movies, this one does require some ability to suspend disbelief, but it certainly doesn't deserve the negative attention it's received to garner a "49" rating. The effects are superb, but effects don't make a movie. What makes a movie is the story. This one has it. The characters, at least the three primary characters, are three dimensional, as is the plot. If you got "Unbreakable," you'll get this one, and you'll appreciate it. If "Unbreakable" was beyond your understanding - as it also was for some of the same critics - then "Hancock" will be beyond you as well. For me, it was one of the better super-hero flicks we've seen. Expand
  43. AndréL.
    Jul 13, 2008
    This movie is good, i don´t know why the majority don´t think the same, it´s original because put a black as a hero, it is very fun, and has good special effects, that´s it, if the history in the end is not so good, that´s alright, but still, the movie is very good.
  44. MartinS.h
    Jul 14, 2008
    Actually 7.5. Like "My Super Ex Girlfriend" I fell in love with the premise of the movie before I even entered the theater. Will Smith does a decent job as the alcoholic super hero but like most hollywood fare once the character "redeems" himself the starch kind of falls out of the movie.
  45. RichardJ.
    Jul 15, 2008
    Once again critics have made them selves look stupid. This movie apart from Iron Man is the best movie of the year so far, big statement I know but this film has everything, action, romance, comedy and drama. It is a superhero movie with a heart, and is humanistic, everyone is waiting for the new Batman but for me the lead characters in this film are outstanding(not Oscar quality but very Once again critics have made them selves look stupid. This movie apart from Iron Man is the best movie of the year so far, big statement I know but this film has everything, action, romance, comedy and drama. It is a superhero movie with a heart, and is humanistic, everyone is waiting for the new Batman but for me the lead characters in this film are outstanding(not Oscar quality but very good all the same). Maybe most critics like to dis Will Smith he has done some incredible commercial movies, but this one has merit like Enemy of The State, and I-Robot. sorry to say this but the critics are very misguided on this film and I only trust two critics before watching Movies, The NY times and Rolling Stone magazine especially Pete Travers. So ignore the majority of critics watch this film and be surprised at how good it is. Expand
  46. MattS
    Jul 10, 2008
    Although not perfect, i think critics are being way to harsh on this film. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think the biggest problem is that this isn't the big action comedy as it's being presented in trailers... so expectations are a bit skewed. Although it has action and has comedy, this has a emotional/dark streak that is completely unexpected. It ends up being a lament on Although not perfect, i think critics are being way to harsh on this film. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think the biggest problem is that this isn't the big action comedy as it's being presented in trailers... so expectations are a bit skewed. Although it has action and has comedy, this has a emotional/dark streak that is completely unexpected. It ends up being a lament on loneliness and relationships as much as anything else. The movie could have been brilliant, but it does stop a bit short of that. It does end up having a bit more depth then your average summer blockbuster though. Expand
  47. JakeC
    Jul 16, 2008
    Your same old super hero movie until the eccentric plot twist in the middle.
  48. DavidC.
    Jul 18, 2008
    A tedious movie that has some moments. Some of the foreshadowing was a bit raw since the characters should have picked up on such obvious ques.
  49. JoshN
    Jul 2, 2008
    This movie is seriously great. No reason for you to doubt it being a blockbuster. Very funny, very intriguing, and maybe suffers from a bit of flatness, but it's definitely a very good movie. Go see it
  50. AnthonyG.
    Jul 2, 2008
    Great movie! will smith and jason bateman are great together-this is just a fun summer popcorn movie!!! Bring on part 2!!!!!
  51. ChrisG.
    Jul 2, 2008
    Great action and humor ... what else could you want from a summer blockbuster!
  52. MarquesH
    Jul 2, 2008
    Loved the movie, Love Will Smith! Forget what the critics have to say. If you are a Will Smith fan, go see this movie.
  53. ChadS.
    Jul 2, 2008
    They're immortals. Angels. John Hancock(Will Smith) is not a superhero per se. That's the gist of Mary's words as she tries to delineate their species. Superheroes are concepts that the media hatched up. Hancock is a god. And gods don't exert their will on the physical world. They do nothing. But like Mary Embrey(Charlize Theron), names change, so the god became a They're immortals. Angels. John Hancock(Will Smith) is not a superhero per se. That's the gist of Mary's words as she tries to delineate their species. Superheroes are concepts that the media hatched up. Hancock is a god. And gods don't exert their will on the physical world. They do nothing. But like Mary Embrey(Charlize Theron), names change, so the god became a superhero, and superheroes are supposed to save people. That's why Hancock drinks. His existence preceeded the advent of "Action Comics" in 1938. Before Superman, before Spider Man, Hancock and Mary were less definable. When Hancock's PR man(Mary's husband) Roy presents his client with a crime-fighting costume, the eternal man feels the pressure to live up to this fictionalized ideal of himself. Now that Hancock wears a comic book get-up, he conforms to the social norms of superhuman crime-fighting. Meanwhile, his soulmate approached her "otherness" by becoming a post-feminist. Mary is like a Stepford wife. She met her husband in a supermarket. She's never going to age. Roy's discovery about his domestic goddess' true identity could have been handled with a bit more subtlety. "Hancock", at times, reimagines Wim Wenders' "Wings of Desire" as a superhero movie. How do you say "with great power comes great (ir)responsibility" in German? Expand
  54. ElaineJ.
    Jul 25, 2008
    I am a Will Smith Fan and the first half of the movie was fun. But the rest of the movie makes no sense and makes the whole film a bummer.
  55. SamH.
    Very good satire comedy.
  56. AndrewD.
    Jul 26, 2008
    I watched this film and the trailer had looked superb. I was looking forward to watching it and it was not what I expected. It was a very hard to understand storyline and very unrealistic. There were still some good parts that made the film a bit better.
  57. SimonM.
    Jul 2, 2008
    Everything a Will Smith summer movie should be! If your expecting "Iron Man", "the Incredible Hulk", or "the Dark Knight" you may be disappointed, just think of it as a Will Smith picture with a superhero twist, cause that's what it is!
  58. DanteM
    Jul 3, 2008
    All the critics seem to be inacting exactly what Hancock did to he 2 prisoners. This movie was amazing, it had everything a true movie lover would want. You haters are just a bunch of movie loving posers.
  59. JudyT
    Jul 3, 2008
    Hancock suffers from really bad writing. What a ridiculous and unnecessary relationship and back story for a superhero. Couldn't they think of anything better than that.
  60. Colin
    Jul 3, 2008
    This movie is getting some pretty baffling and undeserved bad reviews from the lower prestige papers and media outlets. The truth is that while this film is not perfect (it could be longer to avoid less jarring changes in tone as one reviewer pointed out), it is somewhat daring and scratches beneath the surface of super hero, emotionally speaking. This guy is not just flawed but he's This movie is getting some pretty baffling and undeserved bad reviews from the lower prestige papers and media outlets. The truth is that while this film is not perfect (it could be longer to avoid less jarring changes in tone as one reviewer pointed out), it is somewhat daring and scratches beneath the surface of super hero, emotionally speaking. This guy is not just flawed but he's hurt, alone and very much vulnerable in a less superficial way than say, Bruce Banner. The film delivers a pantload of action but generally speaking that's the most boring stuff in it. The interaction between Bateman, Theron, Smith and the child actor whose name escapes me were really what held my attention. I hope that they release a much more extended version for DVD so we can see a lot of the story and character stuff that the studio or director felt would "bog down" the film. I hate when they cut out valid pieces of storytelling for the sake of pacing. The end product inevitably gives the viewer the sense that they are watching the Cliffnotes version of the original screenplay. Nonetheless, "Hancock" is definitely one of the more original and interesting summer blockbusters to come out in a while. It raises some ideas you might end up thinking about after the film is over. That's kind've amazing in itself for this sort of picture. I recommend it as a first day rental at least. Expand
  61. KeithA.
    Jul 3, 2008
    I really enjoyed the movie. It wasn't too long, Will Smith was great as per usual, and despite the unexpected turn, I still found it to be quite enjoyable. I appreciate any movie that doesn't give you what you expected. Don't be bothered by any negative reviews, It's a fun ride throughout.
  62. EvanR.
    Jul 3, 2008
    after "I Am Legend", I was all set for another Smith blockbuster, but this was a huge disappointment. it was so bad...they totally threw the plot out the window for no reason and the dialogue was so, so hokey. it's like they stopped filming the original movie and started on the sequel, ultimately finishing neither. there's more; I could go on and on, but why bother? just after "I Am Legend", I was all set for another Smith blockbuster, but this was a huge disappointment. it was so bad...they totally threw the plot out the window for no reason and the dialogue was so, so hokey. it's like they stopped filming the original movie and started on the sequel, ultimately finishing neither. there's more; I could go on and on, but why bother? just DON'T SEE IT, no matter how cool the previews make it look Expand
  63. JosephA
    Jul 3, 2008
    Not very good. Disjointed and confused. Doesn't really seem to know what the hell it wants to be.
  64. Mark
    Jul 4, 2008
    I agree with some of the negative remarks by the critics but in the end I was moved. I enjoyed the performances and I thought the story moved along quite well. Bateman was the real star of this one. Thumbs up from me.
  65. Jeff
    Jul 4, 2008
    Charlize Theron looked gorgeous... but besides her, the movie was terrible.
  66. JohnUSN
    Jul 4, 2008
    Funny movie. Obnoxious Hancock is better/funnier than politically correct Hancock...but, still, a fun movie to see. Mike Epps is in the final credits...with 2 of the funnier lines in the whole movie....stay for the credits!
  67. JasonS.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Good movie. Great effects, great acting!
  68. CarolP.
    Jul 5, 2008
    I really don't understand the bad reviews. Great acting. Interesting plot. Thoughtful ideas. Limited special effects subject to last three. What is this with the stupid critics?
  69. JohnD
    Jul 5, 2008
    For how much hype this movie had and from the great previews I was actually pretty excited to see this movie especially since I love Will Smith. To find out it was barely an average movie was disappointing. Sometimes you see previews and worry that all they did was just show you the total number of good scenes in a movie and with Hancock pretty much all of the interesting scenes For how much hype this movie had and from the great previews I was actually pretty excited to see this movie especially since I love Will Smith. To find out it was barely an average movie was disappointing. Sometimes you see previews and worry that all they did was just show you the total number of good scenes in a movie and with Hancock pretty much all of the interesting scenes 'were' shown in the preview. Not a good summer movie. A good rent. Maybe. Expand
  70. LeeT.
    Jul 5, 2008
    It's nice to have a comic book/superhero movie that has some emotionally moving parts to it. Jason Bateman, Will Smith & Charlize Theron put on great performances. The movie enjoyable but wasn't anything special. It's certainly worth seeing but don't expect it to rock your world.
  71. RobertT.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Started off well. The first third or so had a gritty feel that I liked, and (in my opinion) is something that more superheroes need. Then the whole plot twist involving Charlize Theron halfway through killed that for me. It's a good idea to start with, but in the end, turns Hancock as a character seems like just another spandex-wearing-invincible-super-strong-Superman-type character Started off well. The first third or so had a gritty feel that I liked, and (in my opinion) is something that more superheroes need. Then the whole plot twist involving Charlize Theron halfway through killed that for me. It's a good idea to start with, but in the end, turns Hancock as a character seems like just another spandex-wearing-invincible-super-strong-Superman-type character come to save the day. Expand
  72. CoreyF.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Very action packed, and funny stupid story but i dont care because it entertained me.
  73. NigeM.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Yet another dire film from Will Smith. Relies totally on CGI for the little bit of entertainment it provides. Avoid if you have an IQ above 30.
  74. JamesR.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Great movie, a good twist on the superhero movie theme. Both thrilling and funny, and Arrested development star Jason Bateman dominates the movie with a larger speaking role than Will smith. Definitely does not deserve a worse rating than "You don't mess with the zohan," i mean, come on.
  75. Dr.Ghettoblaster
    Jul 5, 2008
    Wow. I really don't understand all the negative reviews of this movie. Peoples expectaions are must be WAY to high these days. I thought this movie was excellent! So did my wive and so did our 15 year old daughter. Hilarious, good action, VERY original story, and good all around acting. Trust me, forget the reviews, judge for yourself. Great movie. I'd see it again and thats my Wow. I really don't understand all the negative reviews of this movie. Peoples expectaions are must be WAY to high these days. I thought this movie was excellent! So did my wive and so did our 15 year old daughter. Hilarious, good action, VERY original story, and good all around acting. Trust me, forget the reviews, judge for yourself. Great movie. I'd see it again and thats my true judgment. Peace. Expand
  76. DanaM.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Hey, its a super hero movie fer cryin' out loud. Don't take it too seriously. Get some popcorn and sit back. Worth ten bucks, as long as you can avoid these teenagers with their text messaging. Why can't these cinemas block their cellphone signal? Anyway, go see the movie.
  77. MikeR.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Very good fun movie. Don't go in expecting a masterpiece because it's not and was never meant to be. Great acting from the 3 major roles and a very entertaining movie.
  78. JamesB
    Jul 7, 2008
    Would have been much better if the jiggling camera had stopped long enough to see what was on the screen. Horribly directed. The worst directing I've seen in years. Jiggling for no purpose is not "artistic"...just annoying. Berg should stick with acting. If you go--sit as far away from the screen as possible.
  79. EricG.
    Jul 7, 2008
    Great movie, brought some humanistic traits to the superhero world that makes it a nice change.
  80. ShammySham
    Jul 7, 2008
    It was good enough to sit through. Started off crappy but got a lil better nearing the middle to end, but it still wasn't saying much. It was ok, I think the story was left untold, also the title didn't hold much of a candle to what the movie was about.
  81. SteveT.
    Jul 7, 2008
    Hancock was alright. My wife liked it more than I did. The plot was weak, but it was a fun movie. There was one thing that really bothered me.. The only swearword people seem to know to insult Hankcock is A-whole..that is it..they say it like 50 times in the movie. Other than that I'd say Hancock is good popcorn flick..see if you are bored.
  82. DavidR.
    Jul 7, 2008
    An unsatisfying action flick that lacks the intensity and humor of other "super hero" films that have been released this year. Will Smith does the best he can with this film's poor script, but even with his amazing starpower he can't save this film from mediocrity. This film just doesn't work on any level which is a big disappointment. Throughout this film I kept telling An unsatisfying action flick that lacks the intensity and humor of other "super hero" films that have been released this year. Will Smith does the best he can with this film's poor script, but even with his amazing starpower he can't save this film from mediocrity. This film just doesn't work on any level which is a big disappointment. Throughout this film I kept telling myself, "Okay, this is when it's going to start to be good...". Please do yourself a favor and save yourself some gas money, and wait until you can rent this film: it's just not worth the price of admittance. Expand
  83. KathyM.
    Jul 7, 2008
    I really liked the movie. You may be let down if you are going to the see a superhero movie; however, this movie had a good storyline and was pretty enjoyable. I could have used a little more time with Will in the tight suit but hey, that's justs me.
  84. MaxC.
    Jul 8, 2008
    I had a lot of fun watching this movie and will watch again. I can't wait for the DVD with the bonus features.
  85. NeilB
    Jul 8, 2008
    The whole movie felt kind of flat. The cgi special effects were not that good. I did like the surprise in the middle of the movie though. Overall it just struck me as slightly better then average.
  86. AdamV.
    Jul 8, 2008
    the movie was alright it started off good but why did they add in the chick as a super hero? and if she is more powerful then will why is she not helping with crime? also when she is dieing why is will hurting himself and she come back to life I didn't get that at all it gave a few laughs i don't think it was good.
  87. DavidM.
    Jul 9, 2008
    I really, Really, Really wanted to like this movie, but for the first time EVER, i was bored at the cinema and i wanted to leave. Not to say to you not see the movie... just not in cinema!!! just rent the DVD.
  88. SteveK
    Aug 15, 2008
    Rushed and undercooked, but interesting.
  89. JimS.
    Aug 3, 2008
    This movie was great, it was hilarious Had a good story and was serious at parts, It is the best movie I've seen this summer.
  90. RandyY.
    Aug 8, 2008
    I really don't understand why the critics gave this bad reviews. It was really awesome
  91. BillK
    Jan 10, 2009
    It was just OK. I would have felt rated it lower had I paid movie theater prices to see it... glad it was just a $1 DVD rental from RedBox...Not one of Will Smith's best. Not that his acting was poor, it just wasn't the best storylines.
  92. LaurenS
    Jan 20, 2009
    I tried to give the movie a chance; like i do with all movies if it lacks humor, or even just a back bone to the story. Hancock failed on that account and it also had no structure to the CGI, or even the plot in particular. Movies usually have their own structure, and their own meaning but seriously, the only thing i can say is Hancock is an average movie. I have absolutely no feelings I tried to give the movie a chance; like i do with all movies if it lacks humor, or even just a back bone to the story. Hancock failed on that account and it also had no structure to the CGI, or even the plot in particular. Movies usually have their own structure, and their own meaning but seriously, the only thing i can say is Hancock is an average movie. I have absolutely no feelings for it. It's one of the "seen films" it's not good or bad. It's just there sitting on the DVD shelf. Positives: If it truly is bad, i'm glad i had no interest in it at all, it's it good, it's bad because you don't know if you like it or not. Average movie, not horrible but not even memorable. Expand
  93. KimQ.
    Dec 1, 2008
    Hancock brings a true tour de force of action, curiousity and angst to the screen. A brilliant movie that ranges through all emotions. Brava!
  94. Hexen29
    Dec 22, 2008
    What an unexpected surprise! Yes in parts it's really odd, but I loved it all the more for that. It made me laugh lots too.
  95. JC
    Jul 11, 2008
    This movie is so great! It has a perfect storyline, plot, and has a great twist! It had so much action and it is hilarious!
  96. HarleyB.
    Jul 10, 2008
    keeps you entertained the whole time, which is something most movies now days don't do. and even with its plot twists it shows you the side of superheroes that should be shown more often.
  97. ArtB.
    Jul 10, 2008
    I really cant believe so many people DIDN'T like this movie!?! I thought it was great and had it explained the characters better, (Their explanation of why he was a super hero was lame admittedly) I would have gave it a 10.
  98. RatK
    Jul 1, 2008
    Thoroughly entertaining and funny movie! The history behind Hancock's superpowers could have been explained better, but that is not the major plot of the movie. Great performances and excellent special effects. Another blockbuster from Will Smith.
  99. ChanceR.
    Jul 1, 2008
    CT is beautiful and Bateman is funny. Smith makes too many faces. The kid actor is charming. Would be a better tv series.
  100. PatriciaM.
    Jul 12, 2008
    I love will smith he is a great actor and this movie is very good.

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    The visual effects are stellar, but the true star is Smith, who again demonstrates acting chops as well as effortless charisma in a vehicle that's only occasionally worthy of his superhuman skills.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The effects are snazzy, even if they pass by quite quickly, and there's enough going on to keep audiences watching, if not entirely happy. Smith, Theron and Bateman capably handle the main roles, but such is the skimpiness of the scenario that no further characters make any impact.
    Hancock suggests new visual directions and emotional tonalities for pop. It's by far the most enjoyable big movie of the summer.