6.5

1. Sep 24, 2011
    "Hancock" has a great super start with a interesting premise. However as the movie progresses, you soon know the movie's worthless.
  2. Dec 29, 2010
    Whenever I first watched this movie, I just thought wow! Why I like it is because it's unique to other superhero movies. One of the best films I ever watched.
  3. May 22, 2011
    Some say that Will Smith makes anything watchable, and in most cases I'd agree. Not so with **** It's the inconsistency that gets me - it really doesn't know whether it wants to be a relatively dark origins story, or a comic take on superhero conventions, or a social satire. It tries to be all of these, and therefore fails to be any of them. It's not dark, funny or clever enough. Will Smith's charisma and some nice effects can't hold up the car crash of a screenplay or make the "twist" in the last act even remotely surprising. It's just not very good. Expand
  4. Apr 17, 2013
    is an hilarious twist on the modern-day version of a superhero. He destroys cities while fighting crime, and he is often intoxicated during the process. He is rude and crass to everyone he meets. Does this guy need help? Sure, and its going to be a great experience to watch.
  5. Jun 19, 2013
    presents an interesting premise, but is disappointingly messy in its delivery. The film simply tries to be too much at once. The first half has a huge focus on humour, and while somewhat entertaining, the jokes are cheap and crude. In the second half abruptly turns into a painfully lame melodrama. I felt the romance element between Charlize Theron and Will Smiths' characters was totally unnecessary. Jason Bateman steals the show and is one of the few redeeming factors in this mess of a film. Let's hope that the upcoming sequel has a better idea of what it wants to be and gets the formula right this time. Expand
  6. Sep 1, 2010
    Will Smith as a washed-up, alcoholic, homeless super hero who causes more damage than good when trying to save people. Jason Bateman steps in to improve his image.
    It reminded me of an 80's feel good film in parts & Smith & Charlize Theron (phwoarrr) are very good. Effects are top notch & plenty of laughs throughout.
    It surprised me that I enjoyed it so much.
  7. Aug 8, 2011
    The movie has some good stuff in it, like an interesting backstory and great acting (especially by Will Smith). But one huge problem was Charlize Theron's character, who almost ruined the movie.
  8. May 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a strange movie, as the first half is easily a brilliantly funny superhero movie, but the second half ruins that with some tacked on plot twist. So, i'll begin by reviewing the film in two halves. First Half: John **** (Will Smith) is an alcoholic superhero who is hated by the public but doesnt give a damn. Then he saves Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman) who decides to try and help **** change his image and become a better superhero. Smith plays this role very well, perfectly portraying the anti-hero, a superhero who trys and does good but ends up making things worse, like tossing a whale back in the water only to crush some boats. This character is hilariously brilliant because **** does things that a normal Superhero wouldn't, shoving an inmates head up another inmates ass and throwing a kid high in the air for calling him an **** Its these kind of things that make **** a fresh air from the clean cut superheroes. To make the public realise how much **** is needed, he gets put in prison, which is quite really ****s choice to be there, as he could fly himself out of there at anytime he chooses. With this hero, we know that he will end up rehabilitated and a better superhero. The best parts of the film is when ****s himself is far from clean cut and the unrehabilitated mess that we expected. When he's rehabilitated, he's still quite a cool character, but it feels like a little something has been lost. Second Half: Ray's wife, Mary (Charlize Theron), turns out to also possess similar powers to ****, then turning out to be ****s wife from before, as they have lived together for about 3000 years. This plot twist seems to come out of nowhere, just like the writers had drawn up the first half and then gone "we still have to fill the rest of the film", come up with a random plot twist and then taken the film from there. Then there's some guff about two "immortals" (as **** and Mary are known) being too close together, their powers negate each other? What? So how did they survive 3000 years together if they could barely survive 92 minutes together? Also, how did **** lose his memory? Attacked in an alley. Also, a random villian that **** foiled before comes back for REVENGE! **** cant beat him, so Jason Bateman saves the day! **** also has to jump away in order for him and Mary to get their powers back, and reloactes to New York. All in all, this film was fine for the first half, then devolved into a convulted mess, meshing random ideas to try and make the film "cooler". The first half could've been a movie of its own. It could've been made longer, more of **** drunk and have hints to Mary and ****s past and save the mythoology for the sequel. Also, plot hole: If the kid is Marys, what does it mean, an immortal having a son? Is the son gonna get powers, will he get immortality and stay a kid for at least a while? Untouched upon. The first half I give 60% and the second half I give 20%, so all together, I give the film 40% Expand
  9. Jan 14, 2014
    Hancock has some fun to it; who doesn't like a grumpy superhero who hurtles rude kids into the sky? But both the lack of an interesting villain and general identity restrain the film from being anything else than mildly entertaining.
  10. Aug 6, 2011
    Not a perfect blockbuster action film but it's hard to say no to Will Smith, Jason Bateman and Charlize Theron. I found their chemistry to be interesting. Jason Bateman really brings out the funny in anyone. I felt the ending was a little weak, but I still kept watching.
  11. May 7, 2011
    awesome movie.....i just love the movie and will smith and his acting.....itz rating should be 8 or 9...can't understand why it is not....anyways its depends on thinking and choice.
  12. Aug 27, 2011
    This film is a misfire. It begins with a great spin on the concept of a superhero, and ends with a half-baked idea for a lame sequel, that they idiotically decided to patch into a killer film.
  13. Sep 27, 2011
    this film is one of d best films ive ever seen
    Its got tons of action,really funny,great acting and an okay story..must watch!
    Personally its ma favourite will smith movie
  14. May 25, 2012
    The idea is well executed... well for the most part. The story is not quite what you would expect so it comes out as a surprise. Its good but you may want to approach the story with caution.
  15. May 11, 2013
    Time and time again its saddening to see a film start of with such promise and flare, but then it begins to unravel, gradually crumbling under its own mistakes and attempts to bring a story too far than it is capable of stretching, fits all of the above.
    Will Smith finally takes on a superhero in the form of John a being from another world who doesn't quite fit into the place he's
    living in now, Los Angeles. Sure he might help the police when trying to stop the bad guys, but he he has a particular knack for destroying everything in his path, and just doesn't care what the world thinks of his alcoholic and care-free attitude.
    When he saves Ray (Jason Bateman) from a train track fiasco, he unwillingly agrees to let PR man Ray to give him a new image so that people will like the infamous superhero once again, and realise how much they miss him. So when agrees to prison time until the city need his superpowers once more, he contemplates different ways of life, something which he feels whenever he is around Ray's wife, Mary (Charlize Theron), a woman is not quite certain of, in terms of her personality and tension with himself.
    Its after these events that the film starts to lose its way, it almost becomes an unwanted thriller, the comedy is gone and the fun of the plot was lost around the half hour mark. The characters can be interesting, sure, but the movie very much promotes a backstory and I think the writing took a hit on the other development of the characters when the film became a simple tit for tat.
    Will Smith, however, proves that he can personify any role that he takes, personality, wits and humour are all present, but its certainly not what we would typically see in a Will Smith film, while Jason Bateman is unfortunately quite underused throughout the film, while Charlize Theron has a bigger role as the film unfolds, but again the weak plot does these characters no justice.
    While the film does offer a more realistic approach to a lone superhero, it doesn't last very long, more time should have been spent giving freedom in the film, and maybe some points of the story could have been better utilised in a sequel.
    Certainly not a bad film, but one which had all the makings of a memorable superhero comedy, but unfortunately becomes a victim of its own undoing.
  16. Aug 25, 2014
    The movie had several phases of sorts: first funny and obnoxious, then the moment of growth and responsibility. After that seemed to start a completely new era: revelations of past, the question "who am I?" and "where do I belong?" becoming apparent.

By the end of the movie it seemed the humor was pushed down a little and gave way to seriousness.

In the final scene of action, I
    wasn't completely certain of what was really going on, and what was happening to whom and because of what.

All in all, I couldn't quite grasp Will Smith in this role. I don't know why. The movie looks good, sounds good, and has all the proper elements. The acting isn't bad either.
  17. Aug 8, 2012
    I enjoyed the movie, there are some memorable moments, such as when **** throws the kid into the air, that was hilarious! Overall though it didn't leave me very satisfied in the end, despite being so unique, I didn't leave the cinema with a great feeling.
  18. Jan 5, 2014
    A movie about a scumbag superhero becoming a good guy with good actors and interesting twist/idea in the middle. But overall not too amusing, I'd say it's just okay.
  19. Jun 10, 2014
    Hancock starts off really promising, Will Smith is great as the drunken anti-hero and a fun plot is set into motion with Jason Bateman's character helping him improve his image. The first half of the movie is thoroughly entertaining, but half way through it all falls apart. There's a twist that is completely unnecessary thrown in and the movie starts going nowhere.

It is clear that the
    script for this movie was re-written several times as there is no running plot and instead it feels like 3 different ones mixed into a mess of a movie.

Not a terrible movie, but not one that I would watch again.
  20. Aug 5, 2013
    As usual, Will Smith is game and does a fine job as the hero, but the film is ultimately too derivative and lacks the heart that a superhero film needs to be successful.
  21. Oct 13, 2013
    Smith delivers no new goods to the picture, and is a jumbled mess of booze, bad acting, and shaky cinematography. Also, the script and interactions between characters feels forced and unnatural.
  22. Nov 13, 2013
    is an unlikely hero.
    A movie with an extremely unlikeable character, and a very unexplained premise; miraculously succeeds with combination of comic relief and good action.
  23. Sep 19, 2014
    I found the premise intriguing and commendable--however, the writing was terrible. I'm not a huge fan of Will Smith and though he did his best with the material, he did nothing to change that impression.
  24. Sep 14, 2014
    Hancock is a original superhero movie starring a lazy and selfish superhero.Will Smith is at his best in his role of John Hancock. Jason Bateman is really good too.This is one of the best superhero movies i have ever seen.

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    The visual effects are stellar, but the true star is Smith, who again demonstrates acting chops as well as effortless charisma in a vehicle that's only occasionally worthy of his superhuman skills.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The effects are snazzy, even if they pass by quite quickly, and there's enough going on to keep audiences watching, if not entirely happy. Smith, Theron and Bateman capably handle the main roles, but such is the skimpiness of the scenario that no further characters make any impact.
    Hancock suggests new visual directions and emotional tonalities for pop. It's by far the most enjoyable big movie of the summer.