Hancock

6.5

1. AshutoshD.
    Jul 3, 2008
    The story was weak in a lot of places, however, the acting and over all entertainment factor made up for the missing content to a certain extent. Now THIS is a film that begs for a remake with a more fully fleshed-out script and better plot and character development.
  2. Apr 17, 2013
    is an hilarious twist on the modern-day version of a superhero. He destroys cities while fighting crime, and he is often intoxicated during the process. He is rude and crass to everyone he meets. Does this guy need help? Sure, and its going to be a great experience to watch.
  3. Dec 29, 2010
    Whenever I first watched this movie, I just thought wow! Why I like it is because it's unique to other superhero movies. One of the best films I ever watched.
  4. Jennifer
    Jul 24, 2008
    I am so torn with scoring this movie. It was like two different movies. The first half was great but then it took a sharp turn in a different direction and for me kind of got stale for me. I would give the first half a strong 7 but the second half a low 6. Will was great and I loved Bateman too. The last half of the movie simply left me feeling unsatisfied.
  5. CharlieF.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Great comedy/action/etc!!
  6. CyrusG.
    Jul 6, 2008
    For the first 65 minutes of "Hancock," I was ready to give the movie a perfect 10. We saw great action, strong performances from the leads, original storyline, thought-provoking themes, and a great twist. But then at the climax, the film went down hill. The villain came across too much as a plot device than a real character, and the explanation of Hancock's powers gave me the For the first 65 minutes of "Hancock," I was ready to give the movie a perfect 10. We saw great action, strong performances from the leads, original storyline, thought-provoking themes, and a great twist. But then at the climax, the film went down hill. The villain came across too much as a plot device than a real character, and the explanation of Hancock's powers gave me the "that's it?" reaction. So because of those two things, I have to bring the rating down by two notches. Still, it is worth the price of admission and worthy of a sequel/prequel and buying on DVD. Expand
  7. Greg
    Jul 7, 2008
    Clever and fun with good pacing and effects. Charlize Theron plays it cool as a cucumber and Will Smith brings some real heat to this movie. For some reason, Will Smith's recent action movies haven't gotten the lovin' they deserved. This one deserves plenty.
  8. IanA.
    Jul 13, 2008
    LOVED this movie. I don't understand why it has received so many poor reviews. It was really entertaining and not just the same old superhero type of movie, I think it was a cut above the rest and can thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for an hour and a half of fun escapism.
  9. EricC.
    Jul 2, 2008
    I thought it was one of the funniest movies ive seen in years alot better then these dumb criticts are beter then other movies theve reviewed like zohan are you kidding me that got a 54 and hancock a 48 zohan was garbage worst adam sandler movie ever made im sorry hancock deserves a way better score i personaly give it atleast a 98 the movie was great it was fun entertaining and full of I thought it was one of the funniest movies ive seen in years alot better then these dumb criticts are beter then other movies theve reviewed like zohan are you kidding me that got a 54 and hancock a 48 zohan was garbage worst adam sandler movie ever made im sorry hancock deserves a way better score i personaly give it atleast a 98 the movie was great it was fun entertaining and full of laughs i recomend everyone to go se this movie screw the criticts the dont know anything. Expand
  10. EricL.
    Jul 2, 2008
    70 min of great movie, 20 min of mediocrity. Still, one of the great summer movies this year, not that that says much.
  11. Steve
    Jul 2, 2008
    Enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Listen people. It's summertime. Movies are supposed to be fun. This one is. And the acting is actually pretty solid. Funny? Exciting? Visually stimulating? Check, check, and check. I found myself wondering how Iron Man got such strong reviews while Hancock seems destined for critical mediocrity, and the simple fact that the thought even Enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Listen people. It's summertime. Movies are supposed to be fun. This one is. And the acting is actually pretty solid. Funny? Exciting? Visually stimulating? Check, check, and check. I found myself wondering how Iron Man got such strong reviews while Hancock seems destined for critical mediocrity, and the simple fact that the thought even entered my mind should tell you all you need to know. Do yourself a favor and drop ten bucks to see this flick, because all the action translates best to the big screen. Expand
  12. JoshuaB.
    Jul 4, 2008
    This movie is well worth your time. I am a huge will smith fan, but skeptical of this role. I didn't think this was going to fit him, but I was wrong. Will smith is spectacular, along with opposite Charlize Theron, and suprisingly well Juno co-star Jason Bateman. A must see amongst all movies this summer.
  13. NsisongE
    Jul 5, 2008
    You really have to judge for your self. Its a good movie. Love the mix of comedy, drama, and action; but i wish it was longer. Unique storyline. Would watch it again.
  14. ArtemG.
    Jul 5, 2008
    A really interesting twist of ideas combined with decent acting and cinematography. Not bad at all.
  15. RicoG
    Jul 5, 2008
    I dont care what critics think, i watch a movie and decide for myself. Sometimes critics dont know what their talking about. I think they just watch to many movies in the long run and are unhappy with their jobs. I loved this Movie and want to watch it again.
  16. MikeH.
    Jul 6, 2008
    I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Action is good, comedy is spot on, and good performances all around. I recommend seeing it.
  17. RenarldoM.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nice twist,critics are stupid.Not much of a family movie,but it was good.Very funny good to see a super hero movie without marvel and dc.
  18. BetsyM
    Jul 6, 2008
    I really enjoyed this movie. Good story, good acting. I guess the professional reviewers think they know better about how to critique a movie, but they missed the boat on this one.
  19. StECStEC
    Dec 1, 2008
    This was the best superhero movie of the summer only behind Dark Knight. Really this was a fantastic twist on the genre and it worked not too mention Will Smith is simply amazing in these big summer epic roles!
  20. ElliottW
    Dec 30, 2008
    Oh come on, the movie isnt THAT bad. Sure, the plot's thin, and the characters are un-developed, but it's enjoyable on the whole. The twist doesnt really ruin the movie at all, but it was a bit sudden. A good movie, with plenty of funny moments.
  21. JanetN.
    Jul 1, 2008
    This movie has everything you could want in a summer blockbuster -- great humor & action. Will Smith is fabulous but Jason Bateman almost steals the show.
  22. SteveS.
    Jul 13, 2008
    Once again, the critics prove they have the intellectual depth of a carrot. As with all super-hero movies, this one does require some ability to suspend disbelief, but it certainly doesn't deserve the negative attention it's received to garner a "49" rating. The effects are superb, but effects don't make a movie. What makes a movie is the story. This one has it. The Once again, the critics prove they have the intellectual depth of a carrot. As with all super-hero movies, this one does require some ability to suspend disbelief, but it certainly doesn't deserve the negative attention it's received to garner a "49" rating. The effects are superb, but effects don't make a movie. What makes a movie is the story. This one has it. The characters, at least the three primary characters, are three dimensional, as is the plot. If you got "Unbreakable," you'll get this one, and you'll appreciate it. If "Unbreakable" was beyond your understanding - as it also was for some of the same critics - then "Hancock" will be beyond you as well. For me, it was one of the better super-hero flicks we've seen. Expand
  23. AndréL.
    Jul 13, 2008
    This movie is good, i don´t know why the majority don´t think the same, it´s original because put a black as a hero, it is very fun, and has good special effects, that´s it, if the history in the end is not so good, that´s alright, but still, the movie is very good.
  24. MartinS.h
    Jul 14, 2008
    Actually 7.5. Like "My Super Ex Girlfriend" I fell in love with the premise of the movie before I even entered the theater. Will Smith does a decent job as the alcoholic super hero but like most hollywood fare once the character "redeems" himself the starch kind of falls out of the movie.
  25. RichardJ.
    Jul 15, 2008
    Once again critics have made them selves look stupid. This movie apart from Iron Man is the best movie of the year so far, big statement I know but this film has everything, action, romance, comedy and drama. It is a superhero movie with a heart, and is humanistic, everyone is waiting for the new Batman but for me the lead characters in this film are outstanding(not Oscar quality but very Once again critics have made them selves look stupid. This movie apart from Iron Man is the best movie of the year so far, big statement I know but this film has everything, action, romance, comedy and drama. It is a superhero movie with a heart, and is humanistic, everyone is waiting for the new Batman but for me the lead characters in this film are outstanding(not Oscar quality but very good all the same). Maybe most critics like to dis Will Smith he has done some incredible commercial movies, but this one has merit like Enemy of The State, and I-Robot. sorry to say this but the critics are very misguided on this film and I only trust two critics before watching Movies, The NY times and Rolling Stone magazine especially Pete Travers. So ignore the majority of critics watch this film and be surprised at how good it is. Expand
  26. MattS
    Jul 10, 2008
    Although not perfect, i think critics are being way to harsh on this film. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think the biggest problem is that this isn't the big action comedy as it's being presented in trailers... so expectations are a bit skewed. Although it has action and has comedy, this has a emotional/dark streak that is completely unexpected. It ends up being a lament on Although not perfect, i think critics are being way to harsh on this film. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think the biggest problem is that this isn't the big action comedy as it's being presented in trailers... so expectations are a bit skewed. Although it has action and has comedy, this has a emotional/dark streak that is completely unexpected. It ends up being a lament on loneliness and relationships as much as anything else. The movie could have been brilliant, but it does stop a bit short of that. It does end up having a bit more depth then your average summer blockbuster though. Expand
  27. JakeC
    Jul 16, 2008
    Your same old super hero movie until the eccentric plot twist in the middle.
  28. JoshN
    Jul 2, 2008
    This movie is seriously great. No reason for you to doubt it being a blockbuster. Very funny, very intriguing, and maybe suffers from a bit of flatness, but it's definitely a very good movie. Go see it
  29. AnthonyG.
    Jul 2, 2008
    Great movie! will smith and jason bateman are great together-this is just a fun summer popcorn movie!!! Bring on part 2!!!!!
  30. ChrisG.
    Jul 2, 2008
    Great action and humor ... what else could you want from a summer blockbuster!
  31. MarquesH
    Jul 2, 2008
    Loved the movie, Love Will Smith! Forget what the critics have to say. If you are a Will Smith fan, go see this movie.
  32. ChadS.
    Jul 2, 2008
    They're immortals. Angels. John Hancock(Will Smith) is not a superhero per se. That's the gist of Mary's words as she tries to delineate their species. Superheroes are concepts that the media hatched up. Hancock is a god. And gods don't exert their will on the physical world. They do nothing. But like Mary Embrey(Charlize Theron), names change, so the god became a They're immortals. Angels. John Hancock(Will Smith) is not a superhero per se. That's the gist of Mary's words as she tries to delineate their species. Superheroes are concepts that the media hatched up. Hancock is a god. And gods don't exert their will on the physical world. They do nothing. But like Mary Embrey(Charlize Theron), names change, so the god became a superhero, and superheroes are supposed to save people. That's why Hancock drinks. His existence preceeded the advent of "Action Comics" in 1938. Before Superman, before Spider Man, Hancock and Mary were less definable. When Hancock's PR man(Mary's husband) Roy presents his client with a crime-fighting costume, the eternal man feels the pressure to live up to this fictionalized ideal of himself. Now that Hancock wears a comic book get-up, he conforms to the social norms of superhuman crime-fighting. Meanwhile, his soulmate approached her "otherness" by becoming a post-feminist. Mary is like a Stepford wife. She met her husband in a supermarket. She's never going to age. Roy's discovery about his domestic goddess' true identity could have been handled with a bit more subtlety. "Hancock", at times, reimagines Wim Wenders' "Wings of Desire" as a superhero movie. How do you say "with great power comes great (ir)responsibility" in German? Expand
  33. SamH.
    Very good satire comedy.
  34. SimonM.
    Jul 2, 2008
    Everything a Will Smith summer movie should be! If your expecting "Iron Man", "the Incredible Hulk", or "the Dark Knight" you may be disappointed, just think of it as a Will Smith picture with a superhero twist, cause that's what it is!
  35. DanteM
    Jul 3, 2008
    All the critics seem to be inacting exactly what Hancock did to he 2 prisoners. This movie was amazing, it had everything a true movie lover would want. You haters are just a bunch of movie loving posers.
  36. Colin
    Jul 3, 2008
    This movie is getting some pretty baffling and undeserved bad reviews from the lower prestige papers and media outlets. The truth is that while this film is not perfect (it could be longer to avoid less jarring changes in tone as one reviewer pointed out), it is somewhat daring and scratches beneath the surface of super hero, emotionally speaking. This guy is not just flawed but he's This movie is getting some pretty baffling and undeserved bad reviews from the lower prestige papers and media outlets. The truth is that while this film is not perfect (it could be longer to avoid less jarring changes in tone as one reviewer pointed out), it is somewhat daring and scratches beneath the surface of super hero, emotionally speaking. This guy is not just flawed but he's hurt, alone and very much vulnerable in a less superficial way than say, Bruce Banner. The film delivers a pantload of action but generally speaking that's the most boring stuff in it. The interaction between Bateman, Theron, Smith and the child actor whose name escapes me were really what held my attention. I hope that they release a much more extended version for DVD so we can see a lot of the story and character stuff that the studio or director felt would "bog down" the film. I hate when they cut out valid pieces of storytelling for the sake of pacing. The end product inevitably gives the viewer the sense that they are watching the Cliffnotes version of the original screenplay. Nonetheless, "Hancock" is definitely one of the more original and interesting summer blockbusters to come out in a while. It raises some ideas you might end up thinking about after the film is over. That's kind've amazing in itself for this sort of picture. I recommend it as a first day rental at least. Expand
  37. KeithA.
    Jul 3, 2008
    I really enjoyed the movie. It wasn't too long, Will Smith was great as per usual, and despite the unexpected turn, I still found it to be quite enjoyable. I appreciate any movie that doesn't give you what you expected. Don't be bothered by any negative reviews, It's a fun ride throughout.
  38. Mark
    Jul 4, 2008
    I agree with some of the negative remarks by the critics but in the end I was moved. I enjoyed the performances and I thought the story moved along quite well. Bateman was the real star of this one. Thumbs up from me.
  39. JohnUSN
    Jul 4, 2008
    Funny movie. Obnoxious Hancock is better/funnier than politically correct Hancock...but, still, a fun movie to see. Mike Epps is in the final credits...with 2 of the funnier lines in the whole movie....stay for the credits!
  40. JasonS.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Good movie. Great effects, great acting!
  41. CarolP.
    Jul 5, 2008
    I really don't understand the bad reviews. Great acting. Interesting plot. Thoughtful ideas. Limited special effects subject to last three. What is this with the stupid critics?
  42. LeeT.
    Jul 5, 2008
    It's nice to have a comic book/superhero movie that has some emotionally moving parts to it. Jason Bateman, Will Smith & Charlize Theron put on great performances. The movie enjoyable but wasn't anything special. It's certainly worth seeing but don't expect it to rock your world.
  43. CoreyF.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Very action packed, and funny stupid story but i dont care because it entertained me.
  44. JamesR.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Great movie, a good twist on the superhero movie theme. Both thrilling and funny, and Arrested development star Jason Bateman dominates the movie with a larger speaking role than Will smith. Definitely does not deserve a worse rating than "You don't mess with the zohan," i mean, come on.
  45. Dr.Ghettoblaster
    Jul 5, 2008
    Wow. I really don't understand all the negative reviews of this movie. Peoples expectaions are must be WAY to high these days. I thought this movie was excellent! So did my wive and so did our 15 year old daughter. Hilarious, good action, VERY original story, and good all around acting. Trust me, forget the reviews, judge for yourself. Great movie. I'd see it again and thats my Wow. I really don't understand all the negative reviews of this movie. Peoples expectaions are must be WAY to high these days. I thought this movie was excellent! So did my wive and so did our 15 year old daughter. Hilarious, good action, VERY original story, and good all around acting. Trust me, forget the reviews, judge for yourself. Great movie. I'd see it again and thats my true judgment. Peace. Expand
  46. DanaM.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Hey, its a super hero movie fer cryin' out loud. Don't take it too seriously. Get some popcorn and sit back. Worth ten bucks, as long as you can avoid these teenagers with their text messaging. Why can't these cinemas block their cellphone signal? Anyway, go see the movie.
  47. MikeR.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Very good fun movie. Don't go in expecting a masterpiece because it's not and was never meant to be. Great acting from the 3 major roles and a very entertaining movie.
  48. EricG.
    Jul 7, 2008
    Great movie, brought some humanistic traits to the superhero world that makes it a nice change.
  49. KathyM.
    Jul 7, 2008
    I really liked the movie. You may be let down if you are going to the see a superhero movie; however, this movie had a good storyline and was pretty enjoyable. I could have used a little more time with Will in the tight suit but hey, that's justs me.
  50. MaxC.
    Jul 8, 2008
    I had a lot of fun watching this movie and will watch again. I can't wait for the DVD with the bonus features.
  51. NeilB
    Jul 8, 2008
    The whole movie felt kind of flat. The cgi special effects were not that good. I did like the surprise in the middle of the movie though. Overall it just struck me as slightly better then average.
  52. SteveK
    Aug 15, 2008
    Rushed and undercooked, but interesting.
  53. JimS.
    Aug 3, 2008
    This movie was great, it was hilarious Had a good story and was serious at parts, It is the best movie I've seen this summer.
  54. RandyY.
    Aug 8, 2008
    I really don't understand why the critics gave this bad reviews. It was really awesome
  55. BillK
    Jan 10, 2009
    It was just OK. I would have felt rated it lower had I paid movie theater prices to see it... glad it was just a $1 DVD rental from RedBox...Not one of Will Smith's best. Not that his acting was poor, it just wasn't the best storylines.
  56. KimQ.
    Dec 1, 2008
    Hancock brings a true tour de force of action, curiousity and angst to the screen. A brilliant movie that ranges through all emotions. Brava!
  57. Hexen29
    Dec 22, 2008
    What an unexpected surprise! Yes in parts it's really odd, but I loved it all the more for that. It made me laugh lots too.
  58. JC
    Jul 11, 2008
    This movie is so great! It has a perfect storyline, plot, and has a great twist! It had so much action and it is hilarious!
  59. HarleyB.
    Jul 10, 2008
    keeps you entertained the whole time, which is something most movies now days don't do. and even with its plot twists it shows you the side of superheroes that should be shown more often.
  60. ArtB.
    Jul 10, 2008
    I really cant believe so many people DIDN'T like this movie!?! I thought it was great and had it explained the characters better, (Their explanation of why he was a super hero was lame admittedly) I would have gave it a 10.
  61. RatK
    Jul 1, 2008
    Thoroughly entertaining and funny movie! The history behind Hancock's superpowers could have been explained better, but that is not the major plot of the movie. Great performances and excellent special effects. Another blockbuster from Will Smith.
  62. PatriciaM.
    Jul 12, 2008
    I love will smith he is a great actor and this movie is very good.
  63. TroyS
    Jul 13, 2008
    Good, solid summer fare. Honestly, I have no idea what the critics were expecting. This movie has laughs, actions, good special effects, and the still-smokin' Charlize Theron. What more do you want with your popcorn and Coke?
  64. JamesN.
    Jul 17, 2008
    Hancock was hilarious... it won't win any Academy Awards, but it was very entertaining!
  65. ScottS.
    Jul 2, 2008
    I saw Hancock at the Midnight release. The theater was less packed than I thought it would be for a release. Will Smith did an exelent job in bringing humor and crazima to the roll. The only down sidew was the very jumpy camera during the action scenes. The twist is a side-swipe.This movie is a true movie that will get a sequel!!!!
  66. MattJ.
    Jul 2, 2008
    This movie was really good. After reading the reviews I was bummed that it wasn't going to be good but when I went I really liked it. It was funny, good action and a great plot.
  67. JohnnyL.
    Jul 23, 2008
    One of the best movies this year don't listen to the critic's they don't know shit.
  68. TrajanT
    Jul 29, 2008
    I liked it. in fact i am a bit confused by the bad reviews. i didn't find anything to really dislike.
  69. NikolaiC.
    Jul 3, 2008
    A good quality movie with a sound script. Good character development with a feasible plot throughout. It could have become a cliche ridden film but the message was told and the "villian" was realistic for this film. Go see for yourself.
  70. JoeB.
    Jul 3, 2008
    This movie was awesome, funny, had a lot of action, story wasnt too bad, great performances by the actors. GO SEE IT!!!
  71. FelixG.
    Jul 4, 2008
    I think the Amercian public is getting spoiled. I have no clue why they would rate this movie low when there is so much crap out there. The bottom line. this movie was enjoyable! Go see it !!!!!
  72. JillH.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Very entertaining. And, an interesting and sensitive storyline, once you get past the initial hoopla. Not all superheroes are flawless. Enjoy the unpredictable.
  73. Shade
    Jul 5, 2008
    Its unbelievable for these reviews to be bad, and yet to be good. I originally went to see the movie wondering why the deficit was so high with either a 90 or a 0. After seeing the movie I realized why only one reason why this movie got so many mixed reviews. It is because of the Interracial implications that are in this film thus giving us a gauge on how reviewers can be. If you have an Its unbelievable for these reviews to be bad, and yet to be good. I originally went to see the movie wondering why the deficit was so high with either a 90 or a 0. After seeing the movie I realized why only one reason why this movie got so many mixed reviews. It is because of the Interracial implications that are in this film thus giving us a gauge on how reviewers can be. If you have an heart to put that aside, it to me was a solid super hero film, (I watch them all), not quite as good as Iron Man, but much more intense as the Hulk plus much funnier than both. Hancock uses super powers from many comic book superheroes, yet it stands as original in many ways. If you are about superhero films,I say give it a try. Expand
  74. DouglasH
    Jul 5, 2008
    The action plus humor made this an overall great movie. Will Smith did a great job playing this role. Cannot believe that it did not score a better rating by the critics.
  75. JimM.
    Jul 5, 2008
    This film was much better than I anticipated after reading earlier reviews. It actually had a message along with the action and comedy but not to the point of being "heavy". It's a film I could enjoy over again--it's like a good summer beach book -- entertaining and energetic.
  76. THATMOVIEGUY
    Jul 5, 2008
    Fun and interesting and not too complex... Will Smith is everything good about it, and a "not so finished" feeling script holds it back a bit. Go see it, and I'm sure you'll like it. Although, I didn't LOVE it, I'm sure a lot of you might. You certainly won't hate it... Will Smith is great, Charlize Theron is hot, and bottom line... It's fun.
  77. DuaneG.
    Jul 6, 2008
    A very entertaining film and even though it didn't fully explain who/what/how the "superheroes" are, it was a great summer afternoon movie outing. Will Smith is somehow endearing in a role as a super jerk, Jason Bateman is awesome and Charlize Theron is...well you know. Give it a chance and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
  78. DrewK.
    Jul 6, 2008
    I enjoyed this movie if not solely for the novelty of Will Smith as a drunk superhero. The plot is not spectacular, but the premise itself is very interesting.
  79. RedSon
    Jul 6, 2008
    I think its unfair to compare Hancock to Will Smith's prior summer blcokbusters. Movies like Men In Black and Independence Day were family films, pg13 from start to finish, Hancock deserved an R rating and dumbing it down to fit a pg13 audience probably ruined the movie. Hopefully an unrated dvd will fill in some of the blanks but this movie is not as bad as some critics make it out I think its unfair to compare Hancock to Will Smith's prior summer blcokbusters. Movies like Men In Black and Independence Day were family films, pg13 from start to finish, Hancock deserved an R rating and dumbing it down to fit a pg13 audience probably ruined the movie. Hopefully an unrated dvd will fill in some of the blanks but this movie is not as bad as some critics make it out to be. If Independence Day was a 9 and MiB was an 8, Hancock comes in at a solid ; go see it and decide for yourself. Expand
  80. BitBurn
    Jul 6, 2008
    I didn't expect much from this movie and I was quite please when I left the theater! It's not perfect and I thought it was a bit short but, nonetheless, it is very entertaining. And it's always a pleasure to see the beautiful miss Theron.
    Jul 7, 2008
    Any movie that has Will Smith, Jason Bateman, or Charlize Theron in it is automatically a good one, let alone all of them. The movie has a good concept like most critics admitted and it is a good film thats meant to be entertaining. Overall there could have been more action but the story progressed very quickly. I cant imagine someone being bored during the movie, but i can see how Any movie that has Will Smith, Jason Bateman, or Charlize Theron in it is automatically a good one, let alone all of them. The movie has a good concept like most critics admitted and it is a good film thats meant to be entertaining. Overall there could have been more action but the story progressed very quickly. I cant imagine someone being bored during the movie, but i can see how someone wouldn't like it. Personally I like any movie that will entertain me and this movie had two of my favorite actors in it that worked together well. Oh yeah and then theres Charlize too. But about halfway into the movie there is a big surprise and thats why the critics didn't like it. You will most likely love it and say "That was a cool concept" or you will hate it and say "They must have come up with this cuz they had no where to go with the story". I liked it and id say def see it once and i will def buy it on DVD. Expand
  82. AJJ.
    Jul 7, 2008
    This movie was absolutely awesome!!!!! I think critics just hate Will Smith, get over it, he's not going anywhere.
  83. DavidD
    Jul 7, 2008
    I really liked this movie! It was totally different then anything that you will see in a superhero type movie. Personally i liked the story. I know some didn't. I liked the bad guys to just humans. In so many movies, they move too fast and have some unbeatable bad guy that makes the "hero" look weak. Leave that for the sequels. But there is one thing i could not agree more then what I really liked this movie! It was totally different then anything that you will see in a superhero type movie. Personally i liked the story. I know some didn't. I liked the bad guys to just humans. In so many movies, they move too fast and have some unbeatable bad guy that makes the "hero" look weak. Leave that for the sequels. But there is one thing i could not agree more then what James B said. What in the hell is wrong with Hollywood and their jiggling cameras?!!!! Do they think thats cool? I think it is just stupidly annoying as hell!! So many of these movies would be soooo much better if there was a still camera like the good ole days. Can we please get back to that?!! Expand
  84. RyanD.
    Jul 8, 2008
    I loved it, I gave it a 9 because the plot kind of meandered a bit, and I feel they sort of sacrificed an amazing ending for a happy ending, but It was still great.
  85. AdamA
    Aug 14, 2008
    I really liked this movie. However, it was much more complicated than it needed to be. They should have made it simpler and left out the twist. This movie takes itself too seriously.
  86. ND
    Aug 17, 2008
    Come on - this is a good action movie. It's not high end costume drama, full of lovies and darlings cooing over each others' poncing around, it's just good fun. And there's a great twist too. Bit of a "fluffy" ending perhaps but thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless.
  87. JamesJ.
    Nov 27, 2008
    Come on... It's a B Movie! It really wasn't meant to be anything else, and as such it was great. And a fun film to see with my kids. Schizophrenic, didn't really know whether it was a comedy or a drama. We enjoyed it. Jason Bateman was a treat, I will go find other films that he's in. Will Smith can play roles like this in his sleep.
  88. RF
    Dec 23, 2008
    'Hancock' is what the original 'Superman' movie would have been had it been made in the 21st century. The film is brilliant. It is part superhero parody and part social commentary. I waited for the DVD due to all the negative reviews from White, American, main-stream critics and now regret that delay. It is one of the very few films I plan to see twice. Very well done, 'Hancock' is what the original 'Superman' movie would have been had it been made in the 21st century. The film is brilliant. It is part superhero parody and part social commentary. I waited for the DVD due to all the negative reviews from White, American, main-stream critics and now regret that delay. It is one of the very few films I plan to see twice. Very well done, hope there is a sequel. Expand
  89. JackS.
    Dec 4, 2008
    C'mon, it wasn't that bad. The superhero genre is great. The plot was okay. The action was pretty good. The graphics and fights were totally kick ass. But, it isn't a A+ movie, probably not even a B- movie. But still, it doesn't desrve a grade as low as we rated it. I liked it. But, it wasn't much to the other movies like The Dark Knight, Incredible Hulk, and Iron C'mon, it wasn't that bad. The superhero genre is great. The plot was okay. The action was pretty good. The graphics and fights were totally kick ass. But, it isn't a A+ movie, probably not even a B- movie. But still, it doesn't desrve a grade as low as we rated it. I liked it. But, it wasn't much to the other movies like The Dark Knight, Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man that came out this year, not the best movie ever and not the worst movie ever, and defifnately not the best of all time... far from it. Expand
  90. Daniel
    Jul 11, 2008
    Just saw this. It's totally solid, very funny and very entertaining. The composite critic score does not reflect the movie I just saw. I might have had its flaws, but it's worth seeing.
  91. TredeM.
    Jul 17, 2008
    Critics are just dumb. This movie is gold. Well done, Mr. Smith.
  92. MattD.
    Jul 21, 2008
    An interesting movie, no doubt. Several small twists and surprises, and really, most people don't like it because they can't think on a deep enough level to see the messages in the movie. The story is a bit shaky, but still good.
  93. VerminD
    Feb 11, 2009
    Not as bad as I expected it to be, though all the way through I kept thinking anyone other than Will Smith would have been better in the title role. The story was a bit of a mish-mash, and seemed like it couldn
  94. CarsonE
    Mar 19, 2009
    While this movie is no where near as good as Iron Man or no where near as action packed as The Incredible Hulk it does bring a much needed comedic element that has been lacking in the superhero genre and has more than enough action in it to satisfy action movie fans and superhero movie fans alike.
  95. LeventeS
    Jun 26, 2009
    Despite a slightly flat performance from Charlize Theron in a keystone role as opponent-come love-interest, and a bit of a muddled plot, Hancock is more than rescued by Will Smith's charisma and charm, not to mention a solid script, well-rounded characters, and a soundtrack that surprised me more than anything else. not perfect, not even close, but definitely worth more than one viewing.
  96. Sep 1, 2010
    Will Smith as a washed-up, alcoholic, homeless super hero who causes more damage than good when trying to save people. Jason Bateman steps in to improve his image.
    It reminded me of an 80's feel good film in parts & Smith & Charlize Theron (phwoarrr) are very good. Effects are top notch & plenty of laughs throughout.
    It surprised me that I enjoyed it so much.
  97. Aug 8, 2011
    The movie has some good stuff in it, like an interesting backstory and great acting (especially by Will Smith). But one huge problem was Charlize Theron's character, who almost ruined the movie.
  98. Aug 6, 2011
    Not a perfect blockbuster action film but it's hard to say no to Will Smith, Jason Bateman and Charlize Theron. I found their chemistry to be interesting. Jason Bateman really brings out the funny in anyone. I felt the ending was a little weak, but I still kept watching.
  99. May 7, 2011
    awesome movie.....i just love the movie and will smith and his acting.....itz rating should be 8 or 9...can't understand why it is not....anyways its depends on thinking and choice.
  100. Sep 27, 2011
    this film is one of d best films ive ever seen
    Its got tons of action,really funny,great acting and an okay story..must watch!
    Personally its ma favourite will smith movie

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    The visual effects are stellar, but the true star is Smith, who again demonstrates acting chops as well as effortless charisma in a vehicle that's only occasionally worthy of his superhuman skills.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The effects are snazzy, even if they pass by quite quickly, and there's enough going on to keep audiences watching, if not entirely happy. Smith, Theron and Bateman capably handle the main roles, but such is the skimpiness of the scenario that no further characters make any impact.
    Hancock suggests new visual directions and emotional tonalities for pop. It's by far the most enjoyable big movie of the summer.