Hancock

6.4

1. AshutoshD.
    Jul 3, 2008
    The story was weak in a lot of places, however, the acting and over all entertainment factor made up for the missing content to a certain extent. Now THIS is a film that begs for a remake with a more fully fleshed-out script and better plot and character development.
  2. Apr 17, 2013
    is an hilarious twist on the modern-day version of a superhero. He destroys cities while fighting crime, and he is often intoxicated during the process. He is rude and crass to everyone he meets. Does this guy need help? Sure, and its going to be a great experience to watch.
  3. Dec 29, 2010
    Whenever I first watched this movie, I just thought wow! Why I like it is because it's unique to other superhero movies. One of the best films I ever watched.
  4. Jennifer
    Jul 24, 2008
    I am so torn with scoring this movie. It was like two different movies. The first half was great but then it took a sharp turn in a different direction and for me kind of got stale for me. I would give the first half a strong 7 but the second half a low 6. Will was great and I loved Bateman too. The last half of the movie simply left me feeling unsatisfied.
  5. CharlieF.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Great comedy/action/etc!!
  6. CyrusG.
    Jul 6, 2008
    For the first 65 minutes of "Hancock," I was ready to give the movie a perfect 10. We saw great action, strong performances from the leads, original storyline, thought-provoking themes, and a great twist. But then at the climax, the film went down hill. The villain came across too much as a plot device than a real character, and the explanation of Hancock's powers gave me the For the first 65 minutes of "Hancock," I was ready to give the movie a perfect 10. We saw great action, strong performances from the leads, original storyline, thought-provoking themes, and a great twist. But then at the climax, the film went down hill. The villain came across too much as a plot device than a real character, and the explanation of Hancock's powers gave me the "that's it?" reaction. So because of those two things, I have to bring the rating down by two notches. Still, it is worth the price of admission and worthy of a sequel/prequel and buying on DVD. Expand
  7. Greg
    Jul 7, 2008
    Clever and fun with good pacing and effects. Charlize Theron plays it cool as a cucumber and Will Smith brings some real heat to this movie. For some reason, Will Smith's recent action movies haven't gotten the lovin' they deserved. This one deserves plenty.
  8. IanA.
    Jul 13, 2008
    LOVED this movie. I don't understand why it has received so many poor reviews. It was really entertaining and not just the same old superhero type of movie, I think it was a cut above the rest and can thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for an hour and a half of fun escapism.
  9. EricC.
    Jul 2, 2008
    I thought it was one of the funniest movies ive seen in years alot better then these dumb criticts are beter then other movies theve reviewed like zohan are you kidding me that got a 54 and hancock a 48 zohan was garbage worst adam sandler movie ever made im sorry hancock deserves a way better score i personaly give it atleast a 98 the movie was great it was fun entertaining and full of I thought it was one of the funniest movies ive seen in years alot better then these dumb criticts are beter then other movies theve reviewed like zohan are you kidding me that got a 54 and hancock a 48 zohan was garbage worst adam sandler movie ever made im sorry hancock deserves a way better score i personaly give it atleast a 98 the movie was great it was fun entertaining and full of laughs i recomend everyone to go se this movie screw the criticts the dont know anything. Expand
  10. EricL.
    Jul 2, 2008
    70 min of great movie, 20 min of mediocrity. Still, one of the great summer movies this year, not that that says much.
  11. Steve
    Jul 2, 2008
    Enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Listen people. It's summertime. Movies are supposed to be fun. This one is. And the acting is actually pretty solid. Funny? Exciting? Visually stimulating? Check, check, and check. I found myself wondering how Iron Man got such strong reviews while Hancock seems destined for critical mediocrity, and the simple fact that the thought even Enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Listen people. It's summertime. Movies are supposed to be fun. This one is. And the acting is actually pretty solid. Funny? Exciting? Visually stimulating? Check, check, and check. I found myself wondering how Iron Man got such strong reviews while Hancock seems destined for critical mediocrity, and the simple fact that the thought even entered my mind should tell you all you need to know. Do yourself a favor and drop ten bucks to see this flick, because all the action translates best to the big screen. Expand
  12. JoshuaB.
    Jul 4, 2008
    This movie is well worth your time. I am a huge will smith fan, but skeptical of this role. I didn't think this was going to fit him, but I was wrong. Will smith is spectacular, along with opposite Charlize Theron, and suprisingly well Juno co-star Jason Bateman. A must see amongst all movies this summer.
  13. NsisongE
    Jul 5, 2008
    You really have to judge for your self. Its a good movie. Love the mix of comedy, drama, and action; but i wish it was longer. Unique storyline. Would watch it again.
  14. ArtemG.
    Jul 5, 2008
    A really interesting twist of ideas combined with decent acting and cinematography. Not bad at all.
  15. RicoG
    Jul 5, 2008
    I dont care what critics think, i watch a movie and decide for myself. Sometimes critics dont know what their talking about. I think they just watch to many movies in the long run and are unhappy with their jobs. I loved this Movie and want to watch it again.
  16. MikeH.
    Jul 6, 2008
    I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Action is good, comedy is spot on, and good performances all around. I recommend seeing it.
  17. RenarldoM.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nice twist,critics are stupid.Not much of a family movie,but it was good.Very funny good to see a super hero movie without marvel and dc.
  18. BetsyM
    Jul 6, 2008
    I really enjoyed this movie. Good story, good acting. I guess the professional reviewers think they know better about how to critique a movie, but they missed the boat on this one.
  19. StECStEC
    Dec 1, 2008
    This was the best superhero movie of the summer only behind Dark Knight. Really this was a fantastic twist on the genre and it worked not too mention Will Smith is simply amazing in these big summer epic roles!
  20. ElliottW
    Dec 30, 2008
    Oh come on, the movie isnt THAT bad. Sure, the plot's thin, and the characters are un-developed, but it's enjoyable on the whole. The twist doesnt really ruin the movie at all, but it was a bit sudden. A good movie, with plenty of funny moments.
  21. JanetN.
    Jul 1, 2008
    This movie has everything you could want in a summer blockbuster -- great humor & action. Will Smith is fabulous but Jason Bateman almost steals the show.
  22. SteveS.
    Jul 13, 2008
    Once again, the critics prove they have the intellectual depth of a carrot. As with all super-hero movies, this one does require some ability to suspend disbelief, but it certainly doesn't deserve the negative attention it's received to garner a "49" rating. The effects are superb, but effects don't make a movie. What makes a movie is the story. This one has it. The Once again, the critics prove they have the intellectual depth of a carrot. As with all super-hero movies, this one does require some ability to suspend disbelief, but it certainly doesn't deserve the negative attention it's received to garner a "49" rating. The effects are superb, but effects don't make a movie. What makes a movie is the story. This one has it. The characters, at least the three primary characters, are three dimensional, as is the plot. If you got "Unbreakable," you'll get this one, and you'll appreciate it. If "Unbreakable" was beyond your understanding - as it also was for some of the same critics - then "Hancock" will be beyond you as well. For me, it was one of the better super-hero flicks we've seen. Expand
  23. AndréL.
    Jul 13, 2008
    This movie is good, i don´t know why the majority don´t think the same, it´s original because put a black as a hero, it is very fun, and has good special effects, that´s it, if the history in the end is not so good, that´s alright, but still, the movie is very good.
  24. MartinS.h
    Jul 14, 2008
    Actually 7.5. Like "My Super Ex Girlfriend" I fell in love with the premise of the movie before I even entered the theater. Will Smith does a decent job as the alcoholic super hero but like most hollywood fare once the character "redeems" himself the starch kind of falls out of the movie.
  25. RichardJ.
    Jul 15, 2008
    Once again critics have made them selves look stupid. This movie apart from Iron Man is the best movie of the year so far, big statement I know but this film has everything, action, romance, comedy and drama. It is a superhero movie with a heart, and is humanistic, everyone is waiting for the new Batman but for me the lead characters in this film are outstanding(not Oscar quality but very Once again critics have made them selves look stupid. This movie apart from Iron Man is the best movie of the year so far, big statement I know but this film has everything, action, romance, comedy and drama. It is a superhero movie with a heart, and is humanistic, everyone is waiting for the new Batman but for me the lead characters in this film are outstanding(not Oscar quality but very good all the same). Maybe most critics like to dis Will Smith he has done some incredible commercial movies, but this one has merit like Enemy of The State, and I-Robot. sorry to say this but the critics are very misguided on this film and I only trust two critics before watching Movies, The NY times and Rolling Stone magazine especially Pete Travers. So ignore the majority of critics watch this film and be surprised at how good it is. Expand
  26. MattS
    Jul 10, 2008
    Although not perfect, i think critics are being way to harsh on this film. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think the biggest problem is that this isn't the big action comedy as it's being presented in trailers... so expectations are a bit skewed. Although it has action and has comedy, this has a emotional/dark streak that is completely unexpected. It ends up being a lament on Although not perfect, i think critics are being way to harsh on this film. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think the biggest problem is that this isn't the big action comedy as it's being presented in trailers... so expectations are a bit skewed. Although it has action and has comedy, this has a emotional/dark streak that is completely unexpected. It ends up being a lament on loneliness and relationships as much as anything else. The movie could have been brilliant, but it does stop a bit short of that. It does end up having a bit more depth then your average summer blockbuster though. Expand
  27. JakeC
    Jul 16, 2008
    Your same old super hero movie until the eccentric plot twist in the middle.
  28. JoshN
    Jul 2, 2008
    This movie is seriously great. No reason for you to doubt it being a blockbuster. Very funny, very intriguing, and maybe suffers from a bit of flatness, but it's definitely a very good movie. Go see it
  29. AnthonyG.
    Jul 2, 2008
    Great movie! will smith and jason bateman are great together-this is just a fun summer popcorn movie!!! Bring on part 2!!!!!
  30. ChrisG.
    Jul 2, 2008
    Great action and humor ... what else could you want from a summer blockbuster!

1. The visual effects are stellar, but the true star is Smith, who again demonstrates acting chops as well as effortless charisma in a vehicle that's only occasionally worthy of his superhuman skills.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The effects are snazzy, even if they pass by quite quickly, and there's enough going on to keep audiences watching, if not entirely happy. Smith, Theron and Bateman capably handle the main roles, but such is the skimpiness of the scenario that no further characters make any impact.
    Hancock suggests new visual directions and emotional tonalities for pop. It's by far the most enjoyable big movie of the summer.