7.0

1. Oct 20, 2014
    Interesting soundtrack but that is all!!! Yes there is nothing else I'd remembered about this awful movie. unbelievably stupid scenario+lot of logic mistakes=Insufferable 2 hours. Oh my god I got 2 hours older already.
  2. Nov 12, 2013
    For months, the preview for Hanna played before everything I saw and to be honest it intrigued me. Unfortunately, it's just one of those film where all the good stuff is in the previews. Hanna is a special girl, wanted by The C.I.A., so since birth, her father hid her in a cabin in the North Pole. He trained her to be an ultimate weapon, to fight the people who sought her out, but as aFor months, the preview for Hanna played before everything I saw and to be honest it intrigued me. Unfortunately, it's just one of those film where all the good stuff is in the previews. Hanna is a special girl, wanted by The C.I.A., so since birth, her father hid her in a cabin in the North Pole. He trained her to be an ultimate weapon, to fight the people who sought her out, but as a result she had no idea about how the world worked. The only positive thing I could take away from this film was the performance of Saoirse Ronan, who was simply amazing. At 19, this girl isn't just a martial arts expert, but she speaks like a dozen languages. She is just as special and amazing as the character she was portraying and it's unfortunate that her skills were wasted in such a bomb of a movie. I don't think I've ever seen a slower moving, more boring action film in my life. Nothing is explained to you until much later on and by that point, you just really don't care anymore and want the film to be over. It's just one uncomfortable interaction after another, with seemingly no point, until the films disappointing climax. The actress was really talented and they could have done so much more with her, instead of putting her in a film, where she's running around like a chicken with her head cut off. I mean really, the story could not have been more thin and the supporting cast couldn't possibly have been any less helpful to the story. Hanna has an interesting star, but is ultimately a complete waste of time. Expand
  3. Mar 24, 2013
    A movie that was both boring and just about stupid, Saoirse Ronan's acting ability is masked by a bad directer and writer. Most of the film was not favorable.
  4. Nov 27, 2012
    Basic flaw in premise: Hanna must either kill someone or be killed by her. When she is ready for the challenge, she presses a button to begin the games. Wouldn't it have been wiser NOT to let her opponent know she was coming? She hadn't been seen since babyhood . They weren''t expecting her had no idea what she looked like. She could have returned to the world and lived in itBasic flaw in premise: Hanna must either kill someone or be killed by her. When she is ready for the challenge, she presses a button to begin the games. Wouldn't it have been wiser NOT to let her opponent know she was coming? She hadn't been seen since babyhood . They weren''t expecting her had no idea what she looked like. She could have returned to the world and lived in it undetected, choosing her moment to engage in battle or not choosing to be a warrior.. Her father seemed not to tell her (or the audience) enough to evaluate other options. It is also not clear what the father had to gain from the assassination Hanna was instructed to perpetrate- Expand
  5. Jul 14, 2012
    Hanna reminds me of a brutal roller coaster. It promises to be fun but all the garish lights, relentlessly droning music and hyperactive movements eventually have you begging to get off before the ride has finished. With all the strobing lights, weird munchkin sets, swooping cameras and fast cuts I genuinely felt nauseous at times. It did have enough entertainment value for one sitting butHanna reminds me of a brutal roller coaster. It promises to be fun but all the garish lights, relentlessly droning music and hyperactive movements eventually have you begging to get off before the ride has finished. With all the strobing lights, weird munchkin sets, swooping cameras and fast cuts I genuinely felt nauseous at times. It did have enough entertainment value for one sitting but ultimately Hanna is a movie I never want to see again. Expand
  6. Mar 26, 2012
    Hanna was a masterpiece of horrible movies. Made absolutly no sense with a story that was to say the least sad. Who woud want to watch this movie. Worst movie of the year so far. Sickening.
  7. Dec 3, 2011
    This movie was very poorly executed from the director to the actors. Many actors could not play their role and at some points looked very stiff. The director failed because the style of the movie was annoying and distracting. Dont waste your time the story is predictable and everything is bad.
  8. Nov 1, 2011
    The most annoying thing about Hanna is that it's not complete incompetence that makes it a sub-par film. On the contrary, Joe Wright is clearly a talented director, his camerawork stylish and action well executed. There's even a surprisingly good original soundtrack provided by the Chemical Brothers. The problem with Hanna is the storytelling, especially the extent to which we are asked toThe most annoying thing about Hanna is that it's not complete incompetence that makes it a sub-par film. On the contrary, Joe Wright is clearly a talented director, his camerawork stylish and action well executed. There's even a surprisingly good original soundtrack provided by the Chemical Brothers. The problem with Hanna is the storytelling, especially the extent to which we are asked to invest ourselves in an enigma. We are often asked to do the same in similar thrillers where information is slowly revealed (such as in the Bourne Trilogy), but this can only work if you keep your audience hungry, with frequent tidbits of information that point towards the truth. Hanna asks you to wait right until the conclusion, at which point you find out everything. After an engaging enough opening, it's a struggle to remain interested for a good hour and twenty minutes before anything concrete is revealed, and when you finally know what it's all about, you really no longer care. The casting is a mixed bag - Saoirse Ronan and Eric Bana are both serviceable, and Cate Blanchett is entertaining with a Texan accent. Tom Hollander on the other hand is completely miscast as a gun-for-hire - he's supposed to be a threatening mercenary, but he looks like Jimmy Savile...and is less scary. There's also an incredibly annoying British family on holiday who Hanna tags along with for a while - I imagine they were meant to ground the story in some sense, but the tone of these scenes is so jarring in comparison to the rest of the film that it borders on hilarity. So it's yet another dark thriller about a brainwashed teenage killing machine, and try as it might to be something different, Hanna is just a pale imitation of Nikita. Expand
  9. Aug 24, 2011
    For me this movie was spoiled by the overly adventurous editing that seems to add an air of unrealism, taking you out of the movie and even making me feel sick at one point (the camera spins around in circles as the girl runs along a corridor). It's a shame because underneath all that there's quite a nice little movie going on.
  10. Jun 15, 2011
    I was so excited about this movie and it pains me to say that this is the worst movie of 2011 so far. I mean, after Joe Wright bashed Zack Snyder about Sucker Punch I thought he could walk the walk. In my opinion, Wright's work is incredibly alien to me, there was no emotional core, none, zip. The story was absolutely horrendous and the music, oh my god, I have never heard a worse score inI was so excited about this movie and it pains me to say that this is the worst movie of 2011 so far. I mean, after Joe Wright bashed Zack Snyder about Sucker Punch I thought he could walk the walk. In my opinion, Wright's work is incredibly alien to me, there was no emotional core, none, zip. The story was absolutely horrendous and the music, oh my god, I have never heard a worse score in my life. It's so stupid, I don't know if Hanna is a genius work of art or not, but I really don't get it.. Horrible, horrible. My god, you should just go watch Sucker Punch, at least the Snyder's music is good. Horrible soundtrack in Hanna.. God dammit, it's just so bad.. Expand
  11. Jun 8, 2011
    The only thing this movie did was waste a hour and a half of my life. The filmmakers try to play with the governmental twists and turns of a modern day thriller but fail greatly. For the first hour and twenty minutes the film explained nothing and by the time the big payoff came, I just didn't care anymore.
  12. Jun 5, 2011
    I must have missed something. How can it have scored so highly. Its a nonsense of a movie. If a movie was trying to do something creative and failed , I would understand and be generous in my scoring. But this move is rubbish. It has no redeeming qualities. Nothing. Its a mis-mash of different styles but it fails to deliver anything worthy. Worst movie so far in 2011? Yes. I would ratherI must have missed something. How can it have scored so highly. Its a nonsense of a movie. If a movie was trying to do something creative and failed , I would understand and be generous in my scoring. But this move is rubbish. It has no redeeming qualities. Nothing. Its a mis-mash of different styles but it fails to deliver anything worthy. Worst movie so far in 2011? Yes. I would rather watch a couple of Fast and Furious than to suffer this piece of nothing. The only thing I can get out of this is that whatever critic scores this as a piece of rubbish; its a critic I will certainly pay attention to from now on. Collapse
  13. Jun 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For those who enjoy this kind of thing, it begins promisingly. In the snowy Finnish wilderness, Hanna (Saoirse Ronan), delicate-faced but deathly as a Valkyrie, brings down a caribou with her bow and arrow. As she bends to her kill, a male voice behind her says: 'You're dead.' Unsurprisingly, this pronouncement is meant hypothetically. Her father, Erik (Eric Bana), is determined to keep his daughter on her toes by ambushing her at any opportunity (like Kato Fong in The Pink Panther). After a brief, martial artsy exchange, he leaves her lying in the snow, telling her she can bring back the caribou herself. As she eviscerates the animal, we begin to see one possible reason for this beautiful location; blood and intestines are so much more striking when shot against snow. As if to emphasise this, the scene closes with an aerial zoom-out of Hanna on her back, exhausted, lying against the gutted carcass. To begin with the plot is laughably absurd: rogue CIA agent Erik raises his daughter in a Grimm's fairytale cabin in the wilderness in order to groom her to kill CIA boss Marissa (Cate Blanchette) who killed his wife. This aside, the film has a whole slew of inconsistencies. One of the most glaring is Erik's failure, despite his intensive education programme, to introduce his daughter to some of the most basic aspects of city life, such as TV and, em, electricity. Another weirdness is that at the start of the film Hanna is well-trained in the lethal arts, taking out a number of the special forces unit that arrives to capture her (again inconsistently, since being captured is her objective); later, at the secret base where she'd held, she kills a few more guys, including the hapless woman who is sent in to interrogate her. All well and good, I suppose, but later in the film, while she's on the run through various countries, her super-powered inner assassin all but abandons her, culminating in a comically ridiculous scene that has her being chased by campy hit man Isaacs (Tom Hollander) and his dorky looking skinhead side-kicks.

This is comic-strip territory of course. When you enter the cinema (or buy a DVD) to view such a flick you are in effect paying for an invisible string attached to an invisible hot air balloon attached (hopefully) to your disbelief. However, after some initial tugging, mine stubbornly refused to lift. Give me Guillermo del Toro's Hellboy any day Saoirse Ronan has been justifiably praised for her acting (the directing is the problem) and Eric Bana is believable enough. Cate Blanchette as Marissa (or the White Witch) is pretty dire; she goes through the motions, not that she's allowed that many, coming across as a mannikin with a frozen smile. Like many other critics, Philip French has likened Hanna to Jason Bourne. Writing in The Observer, he concludes that 'the overall effect is polished, weightless and forgettable.' Weightless and forgettable maybe, but 'polished' suggests to me a rather different kind of film, one in which the clunky working parts are kept firmly below the bonnet. The Bourne series achieves this with some distinction, managing to be both weightless and memorable. Compared to those films, Hanna is a bone-shaker with pretensions, a risible mess.
  14. May 19, 2011
    This movie could have been good, but unfortunately the director seemed unable to choose good extras costumes sets and the main actors couldn't play there role in this movie. There is the exception of the first 15 minutes of the movie where it looks like a promising movie. Unfortunately this isn't to last because soon the u.s. Army stops chasing her after killing a few soldiers and escapingThis movie could have been good, but unfortunately the director seemed unable to choose good extras costumes sets and the main actors couldn't play there role in this movie. There is the exception of the first 15 minutes of the movie where it looks like a promising movie. Unfortunately this isn't to last because soon the u.s. Army stops chasing her after killing a few soldiers and escaping a u.s. Army base and the job is left to a albino in a matching tracksuit and 2 skinheads. I seriously do not recommend this movie to ANYONE. Expand
  15. May 9, 2011
    The worst film I have seen for some time. Basically kill bill +Bourne Identity. I never believed in Hanna. The constant shots of her perfect little face became so tiresome. The story was amateur and the writing was second rate. I was totally bored. Oh god, and the English characters? So cringe worthy. Total waste of money.
  16. May 4, 2011
    Hanna consists of about 60 seconds of fighting, 60 minutes of running away from people, and 60 minutes of pointless dialogue that leads nowhere. This was a vehicle for weird camera work, a pretty face and an occasionally interesting soundtrack so far as I can tell. Plot and character development are nil. What a waste of time.
  17. Apr 20, 2011
    Hanna was so bad that it teaches kids and teenagers to fight every people to be so angry, so dark, so violent, and so mean. I just can't stand for that movie and I know lot of people seems to enjoy it at the time, but I don't think the movie will be so cool and it's very nasty and very violent for no reason to explain why?
  18. Apr 18, 2011
    This would have been a good film if it had only lasted about 30 minutes. Since the story could not sustain more than that, filler time was added under the guise of scenery and cultural shots. It reminded me of the movies of the 50's where there always had to be scenes of native dances and songs, that got really old after a while. The bad thing was, the movie was just good enough to makeThis would have been a good film if it had only lasted about 30 minutes. Since the story could not sustain more than that, filler time was added under the guise of scenery and cultural shots. It reminded me of the movies of the 50's where there always had to be scenes of native dances and songs, that got really old after a while. The bad thing was, the movie was just good enough to make me stay to the end. Also, at about mid point of the movie I knew exactly, and I mean exactly, how the movie was going to play out. All in all, pretty bad, although Blanchett did a great job. Expand
  19. Apr 17, 2011
    Not the absolute worst movie my husband and I have seen. Very disappointed after hearing some rave reviews. We went to see it because the projector broke down in the theater for the movie we planned on seeing, and this one was convenient. Wish I could have that 2 hours back!
  20. Apr 15, 2011
    Oh my this is a bad movie! Weak in almost all areas. Plot is sophomoric. Script is illogical and silly. Action is so grossly overboard that not even James Bond would believe it. Just a grade A, bad, movie. Disagree? Then explain the egg scene. How does a babe who has never seen a light switch know how to Google DNA? How can the evil queen spy chase down superfast Hanna whileOh my this is a bad movie! Weak in almost all areas. Plot is sophomoric. Script is illogical and silly. Action is so grossly overboard that not even James Bond would believe it. Just a grade A, bad, movie. Disagree? Then explain the egg scene. How does a babe who has never seen a light switch know how to Google DNA? How can the evil queen spy chase down superfast Hanna while wearing heels? And, why in the world does she duke out the dude she is begging to kiss her. I won't even mention the bad guy she slashes and kills in the box yard, yet is chasing her in the next scene. Bad, bad, bad. Expand
  21. Apr 15, 2011
    An incoherent plot is capped by one of the worst conclusions I've seen in a movie in a long time. I could pardon the confused storyline and lame, cheesy ending if the "protagonists" were at least likeable, but they aren't. Basically, Hanna is a psychotic girl who goes around killing people (like innocent scientists). Her father is a rogue agent who goes around killing people (some ofAn incoherent plot is capped by one of the worst conclusions I've seen in a movie in a long time. I could pardon the confused storyline and lame, cheesy ending if the "protagonists" were at least likeable, but they aren't. Basically, Hanna is a psychotic girl who goes around killing people (like innocent scientists). Her father is a rogue agent who goes around killing people (some of them also innocent). The people chasing her down are equally wanton in their destruction. Who, exactly, am I supposed to root for? These are a bunch of characters who hate each other, and the "heroes" strike me as evil enough to elude my sympathies.

Hanna isn't always a psychotic killing machine. Her interaction and travels with a friendly family of tourists is the most enjoyable part of the movie, and highlights her social bluntness born of a desolate upbringing.

Overall, I didn't like any of the characters (if anything, I sympathized most with Blanchett's character), the plot was convoluted and confusing, and the ending was just terrible.
  22. Apr 12, 2011
    Boring from start to finish. Not horrible, but not worth paying to see in theaters. No idea how this got rated so highly by critics. Eric Bana is underused, the story is pretty clichéd as are the characters (seriously, a bleach blond east german thats into torture and kinky sex).
  23. Apr 11, 2011
    Pretty much the story is a the same as an old Jean Claude van dam move. The only difference is that the hero is a girl and that's why everybody thinks it's so original. Also, it's the most predictable movie I've ever seen. You pretty much know what's going to happen within the first 20 minutes. Then at the end your all like "oh..."
  24. Apr 9, 2011
    This is one bizarre movie. It starts out beautifully and quickly evolves into chaos and mire. Eric Bana's and Cate Blanchet's talents are wasted. Nothing in the back-story is adequately explained. Don't waste your time as I did.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    May 2, 2011
    An absurd-sounding concept rendered wholly believable and thrilling by a fearless young actress and a director at the top of his game.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Apr 22, 2011
    When Wright literalizes the fantastic, the movie turns squalid. He does better when he lets his visual fancies roam free. [25 April, 2011 p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Apr 16, 2011
    Is there a moral objection to be raised about a movie that features a teenage girl as an assassin? I suppose there is, but I couldn't find it in me to object.