7.1

1. Oct 20, 2014
    Interesting soundtrack but that is all!!! Yes there is nothing else I'd remembered about this awful movie. unbelievably stupid scenario+lot of logic mistakes=Insufferable 2 hours. Oh my god I got 2 hours older already.
  2. Apr 18, 2014
    A pretty average movie. Nothing to special but I was entertained by it. Many action scenes were cool with a compelling storyline were good. With a decent ending and acting. A good movie if your looking for a bit of action.
  3. Nov 12, 2013
    For months, the preview for Hanna played before everything I saw and to be honest it intrigued me. Unfortunately, it's just one of those film where all the good stuff is in the previews. Hanna is a special girl, wanted by The C.I.A., so since birth, her father hid her in a cabin in the North Pole. He trained her to be an ultimate weapon, to fight the people who sought her out, but as a result she had no idea about how the world worked. The only positive thing I could take away from this film was the performance of Saoirse Ronan, who was simply amazing. At 19, this girl isn't just a martial arts expert, but she speaks like a dozen languages. She is just as special and amazing as the character she was portraying and it's unfortunate that her skills were wasted in such a bomb of a movie. I don't think I've ever seen a slower moving, more boring action film in my life. Nothing is explained to you until much later on and by that point, you just really don't care anymore and want the film to be over. It's just one uncomfortable interaction after another, with seemingly no point, until the films disappointing climax. The actress was really talented and they could have done so much more with her, instead of putting her in a film, where she's running around like a chicken with her head cut off. I mean really, the story could not have been more thin and the supporting cast couldn't possibly have been any less helpful to the story. Hanna has an interesting star, but is ultimately a complete waste of time. Expand
  4. Oct 12, 2013
    With a stylishly invigorating directorial effort from Joe Wright and a particularly memorable set of performances from Ronan, Bana, and Blanchett, "Hanna" makes for a worthy thriller with an unconventional lasting impact.
  5. Jun 7, 2013
    Raised in absolute solitude by her father Hanna, played by the exceptional Saoirse Ronan, has been trained to be as intelligent as she is deadly in combat. The reason for this solitude only becomes clear when Hanna decides she is ready to leave her isolated home and return to the outside world.

The movie does an excellent job of gradually unveiling the mystery of who Hanna really is
    whilst also capturing the drama of a young woman experiencing so much for the first time. Director Joe Wright does a stellar job ensuring that everything moves along at a good pace as well as proving to be more than capable of producing great action sequences.

The biggest criticism that can really be leveled at Hanna is the fact that it is not exactly an original concept anymore with the likes of the Bourne movies in particular already having trodden similar ground. This can be largely ignored however thanks to Ronan's performance making for a solid action movie with a little more heart than usual.
  6. Jun 5, 2013
    I'm raising my score of this movie. I still have problems with it's liberal point of view, plot holes, and it's small scope, but I can't deny how well directed, or unique the film is. It's a spy thriller, but it's also very arty and dreamlike. Ronan is a very good actress, especially for her age. She successfully conveys the character's bewilderment of the world, but there are also some things about the character which didn't need to be put into the script, (like that one scene). The style, and look of the film is unlike anything else, (except maybe a clockwork orange for the look) and the score fits perfectly. It heightens the action, and gives the movie surrealism when it needs it. I recommend it to someone looking for a different kind of action movie. Expand
  7. Mar 24, 2013
    A movie that was both boring and just about stupid, Saoirse Ronan's acting ability is masked by a bad directer and writer. Most of the film was not favorable.
  8. Mar 14, 2013
    As much as I like The Chemical Brothers, I can't help but feel that their music wasn't right for this film. I liked the music, in-fact I could see myself listening to the album at home, but the fit wasn't there with what was happening on screen.Aside from that, great film. Very different, well acted and directed.
  9. Feb 9, 2013
    I viewed "Hanna" with a mild curiosity. It feels that it started out as an average revenge thriller that was later enhanced by above average talents. The cast and crew of this film did more for the story that it could have asked of them. Sure, a lot of shooting and chasing goes around, but you can sense an evidence of planning and patience within them. The creators of "Hanna" operated with a vision of an audience with an attention span slightly longer than that of others.

The film opens somewhere near the Arctic Circle. A teenage girl, named Hanna (Saoirse Ronan), has just killed a deer with an arrow, followed by a bullet. She drags the carcass of the animal through the deep, icy snow to a cabin in the woods where her father, Erik (Eric Bana), is waiting for her. Not the best conditions for a teenage girl, I'm sure. We learn that father and daughter have been in this place since Hanna was still an infant. She has been homeschooled all her life. And because Erik is a wanted CIA agent, he forms Hanna into the perfect assassin.

Not everyone gets to master martial arts and firearms at that early age, and the secluded home of Hanna offers little distractions. But, this lifestyle is not without disadvantages. Except for her own father, Hanna has not known any other person. Her books tell her that the world contains so much, and she knows that she is a stranger to almost all of them. That is probably why she was more than eager to find out that her mission will require her to travel in order to eliminate lots of bad guys, including a secretive CIA officer, Marissa Wiegler (Cate Blanchett).

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/hanna-movie-review/
  10. Nov 27, 2012
    Basic flaw in premise: Hanna must either kill someone or be killed by her. When she is ready for the challenge, she presses a button to begin the games. Wouldn't it have been wiser NOT to let her opponent know she was coming? She hadn't been seen since babyhood . They weren''t expecting her had no idea what she looked like. She could have returned to the world and lived in it undetected, choosing her moment to engage in battle or not choosing to be a warrior.. Her father seemed not to tell her (or the audience) enough to evaluate other options. It is also not clear what the father had to gain from the assassination Hanna was instructed to perpetrate- Expand
  11. Sep 22, 2012
    I expected much less than I got from this film. It's not the greatest, but there is an artistic aspect to it that makes it much more interesting than the average Hollywood action flick.

The morose and confused nature of the film is what makes it intriguing to me. The colors are not so dark that they scream The Dark Knight, but lacking sufficiently in vibrance. The sound pulsates not so
    much with fear as with urgency, and a bit of chaos. The characters are deep enough that we get a sense of their history, full of conflict, but a good deal is left to the imagination. This is an action movie devoted to discovering oneself through one's actions. Toss Hanna into a world so much different than her own, and who will she become? That is the heart of this story.

There are a plethora of plot holes that I could exploit, but I won't because it would be a waste of time. The holes are obvious. If there is a significant flaw to this film, it is the plot - quite a bit of it is unrealistic. But the cinematography and the overall sound (including both music and sound editing) are top-notch. The title flashes at the start and end of the film scream Quentin Tarantino, particularly Kill Bill. The entire crew is obviously very talented, but the plot, as I said, is shaky.

The Chemical Brothers wrote the soundtrack, and I think it's brilliant. Rather than matching on-screen tension with the sonic tension of an orchestra, or loud, thrashing rock music, as most action movies would do, this one supplies a frantic yet beautiful electronic backdrop. The music is very thorough and well-orchestrated, not your run-of-the-mill dance party material. In place of in-your-face badassery, the Chemical Brothers actually manage to tap into the emotions of the characters to provide more suspense, focusing less on how cool the action is and more on what matters.

This is certainly worth the watch if you can get it for free and don't have any top-notch films available to you. It is a different experience from the norm, and even if you don't particularly like it, at the least you will not be bored. Some reviewers claim that Hanna is an underrated masterpiece. I agree with underrated, but not so strongly with masterpiece.

For more reviews, see my blog at kofdrops.blogspot.com.
  12. Jul 14, 2012
    Hanna reminds me of a brutal roller coaster. It promises to be fun but all the garish lights, relentlessly droning music and hyperactive movements eventually have you begging to get off before the ride has finished. With all the strobing lights, weird munchkin sets, swooping cameras and fast cuts I genuinely felt nauseous at times. It did have enough entertainment value for one sitting but ultimately Hanna is a movie I never want to see again. Expand
  13. May 22, 2012
    Saoirse Ronan gave a chilling performance that overshadowed Bana and Blanchett proving that she is a great talent, the story seemed to muddled and the audience is left with a so what feeling in the end.
  14. May 19, 2012
    Entertaining movie if you accept fairy tales and unbelief. The movie will keep you at your hunger at the end. It has a great sound design and amazing craftsmanship of the story-telling. Cate Blanchet in a role of the big bad wolf who needs to capture the ' unreal ' girl.
  15. Mar 26, 2012
    Hanna was a masterpiece of horrible movies. Made absolutly no sense with a story that was to say the least sad. Who woud want to watch this movie. Worst movie of the year so far. Sickening.
  16. Mar 11, 2012
    Not quite Leon or The Assassin but a good movie and a great performance by Saoirse Ronan. Eric Bana could have been developed into a more impacting role and the family was either very strange or my concept of sanity is very misdirected but it's an entertaining movie if you can put the holes in the plot out of your mind.
  17. Mar 5, 2012
    Hanna: Could have been a masterpiece. Let down with it's strange pacing, no fluidity, odd soundtrack and awful over-acting by Blanchett. A fairly shallow film with hints of deeper subtones including compulsory Red Riding Hood references. Action sequences borrowed from comics and animé style, and non-action scenes had fantastic ambience and cinematic style. The editing let the film down a great deal. Expand
  18. Mar 4, 2012
    The only thing that saves this film and elevates above average are the performances. Saoirse Ronan is excellent and is equalled by Cate Blanchett. Otherwise it's murder mayhem film with enough gore and blood to keep any teen age boy happy for two hours. The technical aspects don't stand up to the performances and the screenplay has more holes in it than a piece of Swiss cheese.
  19. Feb 6, 2012
    Hanna is a solid movie and a unique take on the classic revenge type of story. Saoirse Ronan gives a great performance here and is headed for great things. The film is also shot in a cool way, but its style could turn off some people. It probably had less action than I expected and focused a lot on the developing of the Hanna character, but I enjoyed the movie and it was worth watching for sure.
  20. Dec 30, 2011
    Although it can seem over the top sometimes, but Hanna is led by an amazing performance from Saoirse Ronan and a solid performance from Cate Blanchett. And its action is so engaging I strongly recommend Hanna. I give this movie 78%.
  21. Dec 28, 2011
    Stylized and shocking. It comes out like a Tarantino movie with toned down violence. There are times that it feels surreal and sometimes downright bizarre. Hanna really works with its soundtrack (done by the Chemical Bros, as advertised). It's not just a soundtrack either- it totally affects the way the movie is portrayed. While the story feels slightly used, it is made in such a fresh way that it feels totally original. A great off-beat thriller. Expand
  22. Dec 25, 2011
    An action movie with STYLE and CHARACTERS. If you just want mindless, formulaic stunts, with lazy direction, and awful writing, go see "Mission Impossible 4", or anything else in theaters. The plot isn't fleshed out well enough, so it loses points there. The direction and set pieces are hypnotic and unique, and the lead character is charming.
  23. Dec 8, 2011
    Adapt or Die. This is the training motto of 14-year-old Hanna's father who is preparing his daughter for the world beyond the rustic cabin walls in North Finland. Young, sweet, innocent, yet deadly Hanna has only ever known her father, Erik and the training and killing methods he has taught her for 14 years. In this well-done film, the motive of the characters and underlying themes leave you wondering what the social norm will eventually become. Hanna is taught that you must adapt to a situation or you will die. Hanna is not just a child prodigy, but a prodigy from a careful experimentation initiated by the CIA. During the movie, Hanna learns that her mother was a recruited pregnant woman from an abortion clinic for a special CIA project that was later pronounced to be a failure. All remnant and proof of the project must be eliminated. Hanna and her father, Erik do all they can to escape the traps of the CIA, specifically from the leader of the project, Marisa. Hanna's story is a story about a child's innocence that is lost and has been molded by the people who claimed to protect her. The movie, Hanna asks some important moral questions: Is it okay to genetically modify human DNA? Or to treat people as experiments, rather than human beings? Maybe we should take a step back and actually look at the character of Hanna. Hanna's innocence was destroyed because humans believed they could become the authors and creators of life. As a human race, manipulating the very form of life can be dangerous. We have been called to live life, not to influence and change what has already been created. As I watched Hanna I couldn't help but think about my own 14 year old sister who has grown up with her innocence and freedom to live life. Tampering with life that is not ours to tamper with crosses over the line of what is morally and ethically right. Hanna knew nothing different from killing, adapt or die, but was that fair? This excellent, yet tension-filled film is a must watch that will make you think critically about life issues that lie deeper than a CIA mystery. Expand
  24. Dec 3, 2011
    This movie was very poorly executed from the director to the actors. Many actors could not play their role and at some points looked very stiff. The director failed because the style of the movie was annoying and distracting. Dont waste your time the story is predictable and everything is bad.
  25. Nov 15, 2011
    A twisty tale but worth the watch with its tangling plot and creative action sequences. Hanna might be a worthy character in a fighting game as she is fully capable of opening a can of A while making it look easy.
  26. Nov 1, 2011
    The most annoying thing about Hanna is that it's not complete incompetence that makes it a sub-par film. On the contrary, Joe Wright is clearly a talented director, his camerawork stylish and action well executed. There's even a surprisingly good original soundtrack provided by the Chemical Brothers. The problem with Hanna is the storytelling, especially the extent to which we are asked to invest ourselves in an enigma. We are often asked to do the same in similar thrillers where information is slowly revealed (such as in the Bourne Trilogy), but this can only work if you keep your audience hungry, with frequent tidbits of information that point towards the truth. Hanna asks you to wait right until the conclusion, at which point you find out everything. After an engaging enough opening, it's a struggle to remain interested for a good hour and twenty minutes before anything concrete is revealed, and when you finally know what it's all about, you really no longer care. The casting is a mixed bag - Saoirse Ronan and Eric Bana are both serviceable, and Cate Blanchett is entertaining with a Texan accent. Tom Hollander on the other hand is completely miscast as a gun-for-hire - he's supposed to be a threatening mercenary, but he looks like Jimmy Savile...and is less scary. There's also an incredibly annoying British family on holiday who Hanna tags along with for a while - I imagine they were meant to ground the story in some sense, but the tone of these scenes is so jarring in comparison to the rest of the film that it borders on hilarity. So it's yet another dark thriller about a brainwashed teenage killing machine, and try as it might to be something different, Hanna is just a pale imitation of Nikita. Expand
  27. Sep 18, 2011
    Amazingly thrilling - story-wise as much as visually - Hanna is a very good thriller. The story is rather compelling, and entertaining enough that one never has a dull moment. The film's production is on a rather high level that one cannot really think of very many things that could be wrong with the film, but there are a few standout aspects to it. For example, the musical score by the Chemical Brothers was incredibly refreshing and appropriate, as well as great visuals where the director (Joe Wright) played with lights. Very interesting visuals come up in a number of occasions, and they are always mesmerising. Also, the acting is rather good, especially Saorise Ronan who, once again, is stunning. Cate Blanchett is her usual high quality and Eric Bana is also pretty good. Overall, a fun and well-polished thriller, definitely worth watching! Expand
  28. Sep 17, 2011
    This movie takes a very simple and common plot, and turns it into a fantastic movie. It is well thoguht out, song story, and allowed me to really get into it. The back story is left a bit unclear, and is answered throughout the movie a bit, focusing on what is happening.
  29. Sep 12, 2011
    What happened to Joe Wright? The British auteur was, at one time, an extremely exciting new prospect who seemed poised to take the film world by storm. In 2005, he dazzled critics and audiences with his charming adaptation of Jane Austenâ

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    May 2, 2011
    An absurd-sounding concept rendered wholly believable and thrilling by a fearless young actress and a director at the top of his game.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Apr 22, 2011
    When Wright literalizes the fantastic, the movie turns squalid. He does better when he lets his visual fancies roam free. [25 April, 2011 p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Apr 16, 2011
    Is there a moral objection to be raised about a movie that features a teenage girl as an assassin? I suppose there is, but I couldn't find it in me to object.