7.1

1. Apr 9, 2011
    This is one bizarre movie. It starts out beautifully and quickly evolves into chaos and mire. Eric Bana's and Cate Blanchet's talents are wasted. Nothing in the back-story is adequately explained. Don't waste your time as I did.
  2. Apr 9, 2011
    It's a good, but not great, film. It has style to burn, and the lead actors (esp Blanchette) are tremendous, but the story itself is too flat for my liking. It won't be a memorable movie for me. Doesn't hold a candle to the Bourne movies, though I know it wasn't going for that. Tom Hollander's role ("run, little piggy!") should have been expanded upon. And while I appreciate a good use of the uroboros, the ending was a tad abrupt. Expand
  3. Apr 10, 2011
    I think I'll be a little biased to rate this considering I'm a very big Chemical Bros. fan but I must say that this movie is just --hands down-- KICKASS!!! I love how the film score heightens the experience of the film, with each decibel, I also felt every single emotion Hanna must have been going through, particularly the chase scenes. And I have to say that it was so refreshing to see Cate Blanchett play a villain for once, it's something that totally suited her in this film. Lastly, Saoirse Ronan, wow! What more can I say! This movie is a breath of fresh air in terms of originality and cinematography! WTG, Joe Wright! Expand
  4. Jun 15, 2011
    I was so excited about this movie and it pains me to say that this is the worst movie of 2011 so far. I mean, after Joe Wright bashed Zack Snyder about Sucker Punch I thought he could walk the walk. In my opinion, Wright's work is incredibly alien to me, there was no emotional core, none, zip. The story was absolutely horrendous and the music, oh my god, I have never heard a worse score in my life. It's so stupid, I don't know if Hanna is a genius work of art or not, but I really don't get it.. Horrible, horrible. My god, you should just go watch Sucker Punch, at least the Snyder's music is good. Horrible soundtrack in Hanna.. God dammit, it's just so bad.. Expand
  5. Apr 11, 2011
    In life it's the journey, not the destination. In Hanna it's the story-telling, not the story. The story is a weird mash-up of movie cliches, paranoid Bourne Identity meeting coming-of-age Sixteen Candles. What makes Hannah so enjoyable is the craftsmanship of the story-telling. It's the acting by the stunning but asexual Saoirse Ronan and the not-quite-soulless Cate Blanchett. It's the visually sophisticated photography, which is serially beautiful. It's the music and the direction and the pace, which never flags but never rushes. The story is of a 16 year-old girl who's trained to be a killing machine by her guardian (Eric Bana), an on-the-run CIA operative. You could drop Matt Damon in her role and you'd have Bourne. But layered into Hanna's strange trip is her discovery of what her life has been missing: family and relationships. Director Joe Wright has taken his assemblage of cliches and orchestrated them into both an effective action thriller and an occasionally touching coming of age story. It's a fun ride. Expand
  6. Apr 18, 2011
    An action movie is an action movie. Give it or take it. But this one is done with a lot of taste and, I would say, elegance. Which is rare in this category. The screenplay by the end gets thinner (rather typical). Overall, I have been pleasantly surprised. A very good piece of entertainment.
  7. Apr 24, 2011
    Joe Wright proves to me, yet again, why he is one of my favorite directors. From the beginning of the film I was interested, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, but I was excited. Saoirse Ronan is fantastic, and I hope she gets a lot of recognition for this role, and for future roll she will have, she is very talented, and as for the film, I put it above Source Code for best film of 2011 so far. Fantastic film, all around. Expand
  8. Apr 8, 2011
    I really enjoyed this movie. Some interesting symbolism, solid action, beautiful cinematography and a compelling cast.. The Chemical Brothers score works really well - I would recommend seeing in a theater with a decent sound system.
  9. Apr 11, 2011
    If you like great sound design and amazing cinematography, this is the film for you. At various points, the film reminded me of "Slumdog Millionaire" in its frame choices. Do not hesitate to see this film in theaters.
  10. Sep 7, 2011
    The movie may outsmart itself or be too in some situations, but either than that the movie was strong with symbolical scenes and a story similar to a fairy tale. Also the soundtrack, recorded by the Chemical Brothers, also provided a cool atmosphere to the movie's background. Though do not expect amazing action or a shocking ending; "Hanna" has neither of it.
  11. Apr 9, 2011
    Suspend disbelief all ye who enter here. But then you should've known that from the preview. Hanna is a wunderkind who Eric Bana has been grooming, seemingly to assasinate Cate Blanchett and then the two of them can live happily ever after. No matter that Cate has no clue where they are, but I digress, and screw up plot fault. Once Cate has been kindly advised of her location she sends minions to kill her off. Yeah, as if. Little Hanna may look cute, but she's your worst nightmARYAN. Prolonged chase scenes ensue and Hanna has her little hands full dispatching off various and sundry villains, until, of course she comes face to face with Ms. Bete Noir, or in this case Bete Rouge. Can't wait for the sequel to be called :"Little Hanna grows up and develops social skills." Expand
  12. Apr 8, 2011
    Well, let's see, it's a fun film. I recall seeing these as a kid and walking out of the theatre feeling like a secret agent. I got that feeling and more. I've read all kinds of positive and negative reviews and I have to say I've liked them all. They're all quite correct. The music was a little overbearing and the side characters a little lame, but mostly the film works and is a whole lot more coherent and enjoyable than being sucker punched. Expand
  13. Apr 16, 2011
    Slick and Stylish. I'm not hip to all the cinematography jargon. I enjoyed the look of it.. Sure the premise is a stretch (Nell meets Rambo) but you kind'a knew that going in. The action for the most part struck a good balance between believably realistic and action superhero exciting. Fun Ride... Take it.
  14. Apr 8, 2011
    Wow. I saw this movie today, and it is stunning! The cinematography and score coincide perfectly. After a string of dumb movie releases (Paul and Insidious), this was a welcome relief. I love when a movie can tell a story without a lot of unnecessary dialogue. Ronan has such a beautifully natural face, and it feels as if the role was made for her. Excellent movie, go see it!
  15. Apr 25, 2011
    Awesome action, funny, awkward, extreme music, and it left me wanting more. This movie is fully entertaining. Saoirse Ronan did an incredible job as the title character. And Cate Blanchett played the villain well.
  16. Apr 11, 2011
    Best film of the year so far!! I feared a dumb ending but they pulled it off well. The young star shows a wide range of skills, Cate shines, and Erik is good but a bit one dimensional.
  17. Apr 24, 2011
    Brilliant brilliant film. Saoirse Ronana shines in this movie. If you haven't seen her in atonement I'd recommend it. This movie is unlike anything I'd ever seen. For every ten conventional thrillers you get maybe one great one like Hanna and the Chemical Brothers music adds a whole different dimension. Cinematography, directing and especially the acting by Ronan and Eric Bana make this film a must see. Expand
  18. Apr 15, 2011
    An incoherent plot is capped by one of the worst conclusions I've seen in a movie in a long time. I could pardon the confused storyline and lame, cheesy ending if the "protagonists" were at least likeable, but they aren't. Basically, Hanna is a psychotic girl who goes around killing people (like innocent scientists). Her father is a rogue agent who goes around killing people (some of them also innocent). The people chasing her down are equally wanton in their destruction. Who, exactly, am I supposed to root for? These are a bunch of characters who hate each other, and the "heroes" strike me as evil enough to elude my sympathies.

Hanna isn't always a psychotic killing machine. Her interaction and travels with a friendly family of tourists is the most enjoyable part of the movie, and highlights her social bluntness born of a desolate upbringing.

Overall, I didn't like any of the characters (if anything, I sympathized most with Blanchett's character), the plot was convoluted and confusing, and the ending was just terrible.
  19. Apr 12, 2011
    Boring from start to finish. Not horrible, but not worth paying to see in theaters. No idea how this got rated so highly by critics. Eric Bana is underused, the story is pretty clichéd as are the characters (seriously, a bleach blond east german thats into torture and kinky sex).
  20. Apr 9, 2011
    Simply put: An amazing movie from start to finish. Just saw it today. Go see this movie. If you like anything action you'll love this. Excellent story, action, cinematography, and everything else. I was not expecting this film to be that great. Best film of the year hands down!
  21. Apr 9, 2011
    Joe Wright redeems himself from his last feature, "The Soloist", which was a massive disappointment, and whips out this electric action thriller. The reaction that I've noticed about this film so far has been either you love it or you hate it. I can see why people dislike this movie, but I guess I just fall on the other side of the spectrum. I loved this movie and I feel like I will go see it in theaters again. As a revenge film, what "Hanna" gives us (unlike films like last year's "Salt") is a pretty simple plot. Its simplicity is why I think some people's reactions to it may seem a little sour. People may be expecting some intricate story, but if you go in expecting that, I think you may be a little disappointed. Nothing in regard to Hanna's past is explained fully and some characters Hanna encounters just seem to disappear, but this is unimportant in terms of the film's outcome and basic premise. Saoirse Ronan is magnificent as the titular character and I love how she's blossoming as an actress from her breakout role in Joe Wright's last great film, "Atonement". What I loved about this movie the most, however, is both Cate Blanchett's amazing portrayal of the film's villain (shocking, I know) and the film's score by The Chemical Brothers. The electronic music that makes up the score really propels the film and provides a great contrast between the serenity of Hanna's discovery of a new world and the fantastic action sequences. I like it even more than Daft Punk's score to last year's "Tron: Legacy" and that was one of my favourite scores of 2010.
    A lot of wacky characters and wild, yet silly situations provides some needed humour to this film and it all blends together to make an exciting and fun film that still proves to be a lot deeper than most fluffy action films nowadays. Definitely go see this in theaters. I'll be going again for sure.
  22. Apr 11, 2011
    Pretty much the story is a the same as an old Jean Claude van dam move. The only difference is that the hero is a girl and that's why everybody thinks it's so original. Also, it's the most predictable movie I've ever seen. You pretty much know what's going to happen within the first 20 minutes. Then at the end your all like "oh..."
  23. May 4, 2011
    Hanna consists of about 60 seconds of fighting, 60 minutes of running away from people, and 60 minutes of pointless dialogue that leads nowhere. This was a vehicle for weird camera work, a pretty face and an occasionally interesting soundtrack so far as I can tell. Plot and character development are nil. What a waste of time.
  24. Dec 30, 2011
    Although it can seem over the top sometimes, but Hanna is led by an amazing performance from Saoirse Ronan and a solid performance from Cate Blanchett. And its action is so engaging I strongly recommend Hanna. I give this movie 78%.
  25. Apr 20, 2011
    Hanna was so bad that it teaches kids and teenagers to fight every people to be so angry, so dark, so violent, and so mean. I just can't stand for that movie and I know lot of people seems to enjoy it at the time, but I don't think the movie will be so cool and it's very nasty and very violent for no reason to explain why?
  26. Apr 9, 2011
    Hanna started out slow and predictable. The trailer gave away most of the beginning, but then things got extremely interesting. The cast was phenomenal and the score was superb. Saorise Ronan is undeniably talented; one of the best performances of the year. Cate Blanchett might have an Oscar, but Saoirse Ronan has a god given gift. Hanna isn't about what happens in the beginning or the end. It's all about the adventure: self discovery, friendship, family, truth, and the choices we make. An intense emotional roller coaster from beginning to end and a must see for 2011. Expand
  27. Apr 14, 2011
    A teenage girl (Saoirse Ronan) has been trained by her deep-cover-agent father to be a super soldier. She spends most of the movie running from bad guys (including Cate Blanchett with an indeterminable accent). There are some amusing moments, but most of the movie is about overlit or edgy locations, choppy editing and a cool techno soundtrack. The narrative holds lots of promise, but once it unfolds, it's a letdown. Overall, it's all about style over substance. Expand
  28. Apr 14, 2011
    I enjoyed Hanna. There are a few moments where you roll your eyes in disbelief, like when she escapes from a porthole in the desert, military trucks roll directly over the open porthole and don't report to anyone that one of the portholes is open. However, overall the film has good acting, writing and directing. The director, Joe Wright has a good visual eye which always makes a movie more interesting. The fighting scenes are not filmed with the camera jumping all around, so the director does not cop out and you can actually see what's going on. The ending suggests there could be a sequel, I hope there is if it is done by the same people. I would also like to add that the trailer for this film was superb. I like it when as much is put into the trailer as the movie. Expand
  29. Apr 16, 2011
    The cinematography and musical score are kinetic and have a strong impact. Ultimately the story is what really holds the movie back. In the end all that happens is a little girl fights a bunch of guys.
  30. Apr 18, 2011
    This would have been a good film if it had only lasted about 30 minutes. Since the story could not sustain more than that, filler time was added under the guise of scenery and cultural shots. It reminded me of the movies of the 50's where there always had to be scenes of native dances and songs, that got really old after a while. The bad thing was, the movie was just good enough to make me stay to the end. Also, at about mid point of the movie I knew exactly, and I mean exactly, how the movie was going to play out. All in all, pretty bad, although Blanchett did a great job. Expand
  31. May 9, 2011
    The worst film I have seen for some time. Basically kill bill +Bourne Identity. I never believed in Hanna. The constant shots of her perfect little face became so tiresome. The story was amateur and the writing was second rate. I was totally bored. Oh god, and the English characters? So cringe worthy. Total waste of money.
  32. Apr 21, 2011
    Good and enjoyable movie overall; but still leaves me wanting to know more....................
    I like that the movie had a twist to it, and isn't really what you think.
  33. Apr 15, 2011
    Oh my this is a bad movie! Weak in almost all areas. Plot is sophomoric. Script is illogical and silly. Action is so grossly overboard that not even James Bond would believe it. Just a grade A, bad, movie. Disagree? Then explain the egg scene. How does a babe who has never seen a light switch know how to Google DNA? How can the evil queen spy chase down superfast Hanna while wearing heels? And, why in the world does she duke out the dude she is begging to kiss her. I won't even mention the bad guy she slashes and kills in the box yard, yet is chasing her in the next scene. Bad, bad, bad. Expand
  34. Apr 18, 2011
    Tons of action. The new Hit Girl. The movie was very interesting. You still wish you could have seen something about the background of Hanna, but you don't. The movie ends unexplained.
  35. Apr 12, 2011
    The user reviews have been well written and covered the main characteristics of this film. It is visually attractive, fun and off-beat in an art house style. The plotting is thin and the secondary characters are not written with a lot of depth. However, the main reason I would recommend this film is simply Saoirse Ronan. Hanna is really a star vehicle film for her, and it's not an exaggeration to say she is a truly unique and stunning talent. Besides her obvious natural acting ability, she absolutely commands your attention with a certain presence or raw magnetism. The camera loves her, and one occasionally has the impression that the director, if all else fails, can simply put the camera on her face and everything will be cool. A few years ago, due to her age and the inscrutable politics of the academy-plus the critical reaction and box office results of the film-she was denied another oscar nomination for her devastating performance in "The Lovely Bones". Therefore, I kind of feel all these great critical reviews of her performance and the viewers' reactions represent a vindication of sorts for her. Expand
  36. Apr 15, 2011
    It's a very unique and fun movie, it looks and sounds awesome, and the acting is great. Cate Blanchett was especially amazing. The main thing that kept it from being great instead of good was the ending, which was more generic than I was expecting, but I'd still say see it.
  37. Apr 17, 2011
    Not the absolute worst movie my husband and I have seen. Very disappointed after hearing some rave reviews. We went to see it because the projector broke down in the theater for the movie we planned on seeing, and this one was convenient. Wish I could have that 2 hours back!
  38. May 19, 2011
    This movie could have been good, but unfortunately the director seemed unable to choose good extras costumes sets and the main actors couldn't play there role in this movie. There is the exception of the first 15 minutes of the movie where it looks like a promising movie. Unfortunately this isn't to last because soon the u.s. Army stops chasing her after killing a few soldiers and escaping a u.s. Army base and the job is left to a albino in a matching tracksuit and 2 skinheads. I seriously do not recommend this movie to ANYONE. Expand
  39. Jul 7, 2011
    Good movie, it reminds of Tarantino for the character style and some of Hanna's dialogues. The three germans are amazingly out of context, for the joy of all B-movie fans. Technically, the action sequences, with a lot to share with music videoclips, are beautifully realised, but after a while they become repetitive, setting the viewer far away from the plot. This spoils the final where most of the underlying story is revealed. It's a pity, because with more balance and a deeper trip into Hanna's mind, the movie would have been a really good one. Come back next time.. Expand
  40. Jun 17, 2011
    While it was definitely not what I was expecting, Hanna was an enjoyable movie. I would have liked to see much more of Hanna's skills be put to the test, and the antagonist was extremely unfitting. The ending was unclimactic but there were a few shimmers of a good movie that shined through. The soundtrack was epic and I thought Eric Bana did a fairly good job as Hanna's "father". Unfortunately, the plot was pretty confusing, the enemies were very odd and several events did not make sense (she could figure out how to use a computer but not turn off a ceiling fan?). I would say it is worth a watch, but definitely not one to buy for your home collection. Expand
  41. Jun 22, 2011
    This was one of the best action movies I've seen in a long time. Everything was great, the story, the characters, and especially the sets. The soundtrack done by the Chemical Brothers was beyond perfect. I really don't believe the story fell flat at all. It was well paced, kept us in suspense and revealed bits about the premise slowly. I really loved the characters as well.
  42. Jul 2, 2011
    This was an absolute thrill ride that boasts a terrific cast (all of them good), snappy editing and a viscous sound design. I'm not an action or spy movie fan (though I did like the bourne series) but this one stood out. The story was involving and well told, and Wright's direction was very well executed, adding nuance and a unique visual style to what could have been your ordinary-everyday action flick. And also special mention to the chemical brothers for there techno-inspired score, which added to the trippy visual style of this film. Expand
  43. Sep 18, 2011
    Amazingly thrilling - story-wise as much as visually - Hanna is a very good thriller. The story is rather compelling, and entertaining enough that one never has a dull moment. The film's production is on a rather high level that one cannot really think of very many things that could be wrong with the film, but there are a few standout aspects to it. For example, the musical score by the Chemical Brothers was incredibly refreshing and appropriate, as well as great visuals where the director (Joe Wright) played with lights. Very interesting visuals come up in a number of occasions, and they are always mesmerising. Also, the acting is rather good, especially Saorise Ronan who, once again, is stunning. Cate Blanchett is her usual high quality and Eric Bana is also pretty good. Overall, a fun and well-polished thriller, definitely worth watching! Expand
  44. May 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The hunter pursues a caribou, no doubt bewildered by the size and sex of his attacker. The caribou will pay for underestimating his attacker. Hanna(Sairose Ronan) knows her way around a bow and arrow. But on this particular chase, the girl, uncharacteristically, is imprecise with her aim, so unusual for this Finlander, whom you suspect doesn't miss her mark often. It's not a kill shot, so the Arctic deer staggers away, bloodying the snow in a vain attempt at escaping from the conspicuously young archer. With no fight left in him, Hanna catches up to the wounded animal, who is still breathing, having nothing but a mercy killing to look forward to. Standing over the caribou, the words that tumble out of her mouth aren't what you'd expect. The words are barbed, without empathy; words that convey no regard for the vanquished animal. She taunts her prey, telling the deer, "I just missed your heart," before blowing him away to smithereens with two gunshot blasts. No communion exists between Hanna and the wildlife she hunts down; for example, this quadruped, because the girl is godless and incapable of feeling remorse, only triumph. Not being the least bit squeamish, Hanna makes an incision in the carcass and rips out its entrails, while the proud father(Eric Bana), the girl's handler, watches from afar, congratulating himself for his hand in creating this perfect monster; a cold, efficient killing machine. Kuusamo doesn't believe in tears. What's up with all these murderous little girls? Jaume Collet-Serra's "Orphan", anyone? It wasn't so long ago that such unladylike behavior would have been deemed unthinkable. As recently as 1991, there still existed a persistence of boundaries which precluded females(of all ages) with homicidal intentions from committing acts of violence considered too graphic. For instance, in Luc Besson's "La Femme Nikita", the government-trained assassin(played by Milla Jonovich) chooses not to shoot a dog, but instead, runs out of the room before she's finished with taking the necessary photographs to complete her mission. With each passing year, Nikita(renamed Josephine by the government) seems more and more demure. Nowadays, given the same situation, the dog would surely get it between the eyes, especially after Matthew Vaughn's taboo-breaking "Kick-Ass", in which the divide between both sexes, and more notably, the chronological age that differentiates children from adults, have all been but obliterated by the blood-drenched spectacle of Hit Girl's precociously sociopathic masculinity. Whereas the hyper-violent U.K. take on the superhero film portrays the grrrl-murderess stylings of Chloe Moretz as cute and adorable, "Hanna" treats the titular character's homicides a little more soberly, but like Mindy, the little girl who came in from the cold shares that same comportment of desensitization towards violence. Even worse, Hanna kills, on more than one occasion, what appears to be innocent CIA agents, most notably, the woman disguised as Marissa, whom the pint-sized assassin, soon after producing crocodile tears, cruelly dispatches of in mid-clinch, snapping the masquerading woman's neck with her bare hands. Unlike "Kick-Ass", whose facetious attempts at humanizing Hit Girl plays like comedy, Hanna' softer side, coaxed out of her by the vacationing family she meets while roaming the dry Moroccan terrain, is a genuine effort on the filmmaker's part of transforming this anti-hero into a sympathetic figure. However, there's no getting around the fact that Hanna is indeed a cold-blooded killer, capable of disposing the innocent and the guilty alike in equal measure, as evidenced by her plaintively stating the line on Marissa(Cate Blanchett) with the same dispassionate tone that she had used on the caribou in the film's waning moments. Hanna is absolutely inscrutable, practically a cipher for the film's sick fantasy. In the Besson follow-up "The Professional", Mathilde(played by a thirteen-year-old Natalie Portman), a hit girl wanna-be, asks her mentor Leon, "Can we use real bullets now?" after she shoots a random stranger from long-distance using a paint gun. Further along in the film, she walks into a building carrying a paper bag full of weapons with the intention of avenging the man who had killed her family, but alas, she never gets to use them. The audience just wasn't ready for such mayhem being performed by a child. Some of us still can't help but wince at the mere thought. Expand
  45. May 21, 2011
    there was a fair amount of action involved in this movie and there are parts were it slows down which is good. Saoirse Ronan provided a goo performance its just the story that let it down a bit it could have been alot better not many people after seeing this movie could have walked out the cinema with a smile on their face
  46. May 22, 2012
    Saoirse Ronan gave a chilling performance that overshadowed Bana and Blanchett proving that she is a great talent, the story seemed to muddled and the audience is left with a so what feeling in the end.
  47. May 31, 2011
    With the fast-paced action flick Hanna, director Joe Wright (Atonement, Pride and Prejudice) strays away from the emotional dramatic genre where he undoubtedly thrives in. But without losing his art film credentials, Wright crafts an action film that attempts to merge both elements of blockbuster and art. From the Nouvelle Vague-esque title opener, it is obvious that Hanna strives to be something special, a stepping stone into making the half-hearted genre of blockbusters, into true cinema. Hanna revolves on an unraveling plot that relies on the vagueness of its background information. Spending her entire childhood in a remote forest in Europe, Hanna is trained by her father, rouge CIA agent Erik (Era Bana), for an implicit task that lays in the mystery of the story. From her training scenes with Erik, displaying Hanna's super strength and intelligence, we can see that she is no ordinary adolescent. The film's movement commences when Hanna feels she is ready to take on her task, purposely igniting a signal intercepted by the malicious CIA operative Marissa Weigler (Cate Blanchett). This signal ends up starting a chase that essentially becomes the basis of the film.

Hanna displays an unbridled amount of originality hardly projected to a mainstream audience. Wright shows his versatile directing ability, displaying his skill in creating cinematic value in an otherwise quality-dying genre. With a commendable screenplay (written by Seth Lockhead and David Farr), a modern Chemical Brothers score, and top notch editing, Hanna is able to encapsulate a stylistic feel usually not seen in big budget films. The action is consistent and at times suspenseful, and the cast's praiseworthy performances are able to balance elements of violence and emotion. But while Hanna succeeds in creating the feeling of an art film, it ends up trying too hard and feeling too excessive, with moments that display unnecessary moments of style. As a result, the novelty loses its steam, making the conclusion feeling somewhat anticlimactic. But overall, even with its excessive endeavor, Hanna is an exuberant original experience that admirably breaks the recent pattern of senseless action films. Grade: B+
  48. Apr 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So there are some interesting set designs and the occasional scene that somehow transcends the quality of the rest of the film (particularly the interogation sequence of the family half-way through the film), and although it seems to be billed as an action movie it is quite sparse set pieces, some of which are poorly executed and nonsensical (why is she always running if she is so tough). Overall the movie is less than the sum of its parts primarily due to what I feel is bad screen writing: besides it not being all the interesting or dense, the end of the film seems confused about exactly what it's trying to accomplish. But what bothered me the most are the inconsistencies concerning the 'badd-assery' of Hanna and the Eric Bana character. Expand
  49. Feb 6, 2012
    Hanna is a solid movie and a unique take on the classic revenge type of story. Saoirse Ronan gives a great performance here and is headed for great things. The film is also shot in a cool way, but its style could turn off some people. It probably had less action than I expected and focused a lot on the developing of the Hanna character, but I enjoyed the movie and it was worth watching for sure.
  50. Apr 26, 2011
    Joe Wright is one of my favorite directors working today, and he delivers a deliciously weird and fun action film unlike anything else I've seen recently. The cast is great, especially a campy and over-the-top Blanchett, and the film features some inventive and interesting cinematography. Overall, a lot of fun.
  51. Jun 17, 2011
    Saoirse Ronan & Eric Bana breath life into this Bourne-style espionage thriller. Starts off well, with a Blade-like feel to it, but quickly loses its impetus as Hanna mixes with kids her own age, stows away with a family and goes through the Star Wars cliche of Mother and Father issues.

In the end, I think the director took his foot off the gas, or didn't have the budget to keep the
    adrenaline flowing.

Could have been so much better, but in the end not horrible.

Oh, and its got a Chemical Brothers soundtrack, which helps.
  52. Aug 24, 2011
    For me this movie was spoiled by the overly adventurous editing that seems to add an air of unrealism, taking you out of the movie and even making me feel sick at one point (the camera spins around in circles as the girl runs along a corridor). It's a shame because underneath all that there's quite a nice little movie going on.
  53. Jul 3, 2011
    I'm not fond of action movies, but I liked this particular, had its esecenas sing very good and others not so good, Saoirse Ronan and Cate Blanchett very good performances, the soundtrack was disappointing mmm ... the best scene in my opinion the fight in the dry port = D
  54. Jun 16, 2011
    This movie was great overall. From the music, screenplay and acting it was outstanding. The screenplay is right on point. The scrip writer doesn't over do the story. The story has action in it. The commercial to the movie didn't look good to me. The music is really good. I love the music to the movie. The music makes the movie even better the Chemical Brothers did a fantastic job with the soundtrack. I love the soundtrack to the movie. The music is so amazing it like dance music mix with some classical and techno. They pick some really good actors and actress for this movie. Really great job with picking the role for Hanna she did a wonderful job. This is one of my favorite movies for the year so far. Expand
  55. Dec 28, 2011
    Stylized and shocking. It comes out like a Tarantino movie with toned down violence. There are times that it feels surreal and sometimes downright bizarre. Hanna really works with its soundtrack (done by the Chemical Bros, as advertised). It's not just a soundtrack either- it totally affects the way the movie is portrayed. While the story feels slightly used, it is made in such a fresh way that it feels totally original. A great off-beat thriller. Expand
  56. Jul 14, 2012
    Hanna reminds me of a brutal roller coaster. It promises to be fun but all the garish lights, relentlessly droning music and hyperactive movements eventually have you begging to get off before the ride has finished. With all the strobing lights, weird munchkin sets, swooping cameras and fast cuts I genuinely felt nauseous at times. It did have enough entertainment value for one sitting but ultimately Hanna is a movie I never want to see again. Expand
  57. Apr 13, 2011
    Shockingly predictable but fun... For a while. Once the mysteries are revealed, uhh not much left to care about. I counted 6 chases before sighing, so theres that. Blanchett and bana and hanna and the story are all interesting for about 2/3, but wright's chem bros music video ploy tires and the climax is more fiiinally than thrilling.
  58. May 26, 2011
    I enjoyed this movie. I don't think you can call it an action film though. Its more thoughtful and Art-house than that. I really liked the way it was shot and the cinematography, not to mention the brilliant soundtrack by the Chemical Brothers. The acting is good and the performance of Cate Blanchett in particular. If you like conspiracy or revenge thrillers then check this out.
  59. Nov 15, 2011
    A twisty tale but worth the watch with its tangling plot and creative action sequences. Hanna might be a worthy character in a fighting game as she is fully capable of opening a can of A while making it look easy.
  60. Apr 24, 2011
    This is one of the best movies of the year. The film features three great leads and one perfect soundtrack. The lead actress handles her part perfectly, she maintains a great balance of naivety and heroism.
  61. Jul 28, 2011
    Instant fairy tale set on contemporary era packed with fascinating performance, wonderful score and intense action. Just like David Lynch said Wright world is wild at heart and weird on top.
  62. Jun 9, 2011
    Joe Wright directs with great skill, like everything he does, but loses some of its dramatic essence, except in some scenes. Saoirse Ronan delivers a perfect performance, expected no less. The supporting cast bring the film very well, but the film is of Saoirse. The script wasn't good, but the film has an interesting story but lacked depth, which is the stronger of Joe. The film could have been better if there had been more footage, a further deepening in the character Hanna. When finishing the movie, I had the impression of watching a movie well directed, with a great soundtrack, brilliant performance (Saoirse), photo with some beautiful moments, but in the whole work becomes just watchable, doesn't let passion. I think the big mistake of the film is Joe having been away from what he does best: drama. It's not that dramas are better, but drama is the strength of Joe, and go to another field doesn't set the tone I needed. Movie valid, but so far away from the epics and forever loved "Pride and Prejudice" and "Atonement" that disappoints. Expand
  63. Jun 13, 2011
    I didn't know what to expect from this film, as I didn't really watch the trailer, just saw/heard reference to Leon. Wasn't disappointed, really liked the plot, the style of the film, and Saoirse Ronan was excellent. The score really helps heighten the intensity of the film too.... slick and stylish, check it out.
  64. Apr 28, 2011
    I love the original script, but the film stutter steps around a little bit with a pacing issue. The film's first hour is as good as any this year; however, once it moves on to the middle third of the movie, it changes from action mode and frenetic pace to more of a wonderous adolescent coming of age experience. Hanna (Saoirse Ronan) was raised in the frigid woods of the north by her father (Eric Bana) since she was a baby. She has every outdoor, hunting, and fighting skill imaginable. She also speaks at least five languages. Unfortunately, Hanna was not exposed to certain modern characteristice such as electricity and loud noises. Because of this particular education deficit, the audience must endure Hanna's first frightening (and boring) experiences with the civilized world. How Hanna and her father arrived in the woods is revealed to the audience through bits and pieces in flashbacks. The role of the antagonist is effectively played by Cate Blanchett. She is so deliberately evil and singled minded that her character from Indinana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull comes to mind. I wonder if the pacing issue is a result of Joe Wright's direction considering this is his first action film. He is paired with Ronan again (the two worked together on Atonement) and she is able to pull off the incredibly difficult role of a physically small, but lethal, young teenager. Expand
  65. Jun 5, 2011
    I must have missed something. How can it have scored so highly. Its a nonsense of a movie. If a movie was trying to do something creative and failed , I would understand and be generous in my scoring. But this move is rubbish. It has no redeeming qualities. Nothing. Its a mis-mash of different styles but it fails to deliver anything worthy. Worst movie so far in 2011? Yes. I would rather watch a couple of Fast and Furious than to suffer this piece of nothing. The only thing I can get out of this is that whatever critic scores this as a piece of rubbish; its a critic I will certainly pay attention to from now on. Expand
  66. Sep 17, 2011
    This movie takes a very simple and common plot, and turns it into a fantastic movie. It is well thoguht out, song story, and allowed me to really get into it. The back story is left a bit unclear, and is answered throughout the movie a bit, focusing on what is happening.
  67. Sep 6, 2011
    The trailer is what always sets the tone of a movie for me. Once I've seen the trailer, I either forget the movie exists, or I wait in a hellish purgatory until the movie is released in theaters - and then I usually rush to see it at midnight the night before, so that I can tell all of my friends about it. Hanna was the latter type of movie for me. Once I saw the trailer, I waited and waited and waited until it came out. I was probably the first person in line to get tickets. Once the credits rolled and the movie was over, and I left my seat, I wanted to DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN. Seriously, folks - it was THAT GOOD - and I was SO not disappointed. I suppose this movie is just about whatever you want it to be: A fairytale, an action / suspense / thriller, a love story, or a drama. All of these elements go into the making of Hanna. You may not know it yet, but Saoirse Ronan is a treasure. She plays the role of Hanna so perfectly, you would think she is a wise old woman in the body of a 15 year old. Eric Bana, one of my favorite actors, gets to regale us in a role he's never quite played before. Cate Blanchett plays a mean old witch whose motives are a little unclear - but you actually feel for her towards the end. The soundtrack by the Chemical Brothers is ridiculously good. This movie was every bit as intelligent as the Bourne series of films, but for me it was even more compelling. The only thing I wished for but didn't get was a happy ending. To everyone's dismay, I kept spouting crazy dialogue from the movie WEEKS after I'd seen it. "...I've just missed your heart..." I will most likely be first in line to purchase the Blu-Ray disc... and until it is released, I will live in a hellish purgatory.

- Chipper F. Xavier, Esq.
  68. Mar 4, 2012
    The only thing that saves this film and elevates above average are the performances. Saoirse Ronan is excellent and is equalled by Cate Blanchett. Otherwise it's murder mayhem film with enough gore and blood to keep any teen age boy happy for two hours. The technical aspects don't stand up to the performances and the screenplay has more holes in it than a piece of Swiss cheese.
  69. Mar 11, 2012
    Not quite Leon or The Assassin but a good movie and a great performance by Saoirse Ronan. Eric Bana could have been developed into a more impacting role and the family was either very strange or my concept of sanity is very misdirected but it's an entertaining movie if you can put the holes in the plot out of your mind.
  70. Apr 25, 2011
    Hanna is the name of a teenage girl, played by Saoirise Ronan, who apparently has spent all of her life in the arctic somewhere with no other human contact but her father, played by Eric Bana. He has been training to be the ultimate warrior. She can hunt deer with bow or gun, she knows several languages, she is an expert at mixed martial arts, etc. etc. What is he preparing her for and why her? Well, we donâ Expand
  71. Apr 28, 2011
    Hi everyone. I'm a newbie in this site. I have some Favor to ask all of you. Please Post some news about my favorite gamer girl Celeste Thorson. She's a Great Hollywood actress. Thank you. Hope someone can help me.
  72. Jun 7, 2013
    Raised in absolute solitude by her father Hanna, played by the exceptional Saoirse Ronan, has been trained to be as intelligent as she is deadly in combat. The reason for this solitude only becomes clear when Hanna decides she is ready to leave her isolated home and return to the outside world.

The movie does an excellent job of gradually unveiling the mystery of who Hanna really is
    whilst also capturing the drama of a young woman experiencing so much for the first time. Director Joe Wright does a stellar job ensuring that everything moves along at a good pace as well as proving to be more than capable of producing great action sequences.

The biggest criticism that can really be leveled at Hanna is the fact that it is not exactly an original concept anymore with the likes of the Bourne movies in particular already having trodden similar ground. This can be largely ignored however thanks to Ronan's performance making for a solid action movie with a little more heart than usual.
  73. May 15, 2011
    great weird adventurous its everything you didn't expect it to be. the movie was great. it had a great plot. kinda boring but the ending wasn't.
  74. Sep 10, 2011
    Kind of a boring film about a trained assassin girl. Being a fan of the anime series "Gunslinger Girl" I don't get offended by little girls, especially fictional ones get hurt (to some degree) and find it pretty cool and entertaining. However, this movie failed to be either of those 2. Instead it was fairly slow, and fairly entertaining. All of the characters are forgettable, and in the end I was like with a, "Wait... what was the point of watching this?" expression. Expand
  75. May 15, 2011
    The story was intriguing and great performances out of all the actors. Hanna is a well paced action film with heart. To add to that a supremely bad-ass soundtrack by the chemical brothers.
  76. Nov 1, 2011
    The most annoying thing about Hanna is that it's not complete incompetence that makes it a sub-par film. On the contrary, Joe Wright is clearly a talented director, his camerawork stylish and action well executed. There's even a surprisingly good original soundtrack provided by the Chemical Brothers. The problem with Hanna is the storytelling, especially the extent to which we are asked to invest ourselves in an enigma. We are often asked to do the same in similar thrillers where information is slowly revealed (such as in the Bourne Trilogy), but this can only work if you keep your audience hungry, with frequent tidbits of information that point towards the truth. Hanna asks you to wait right until the conclusion, at which point you find out everything. After an engaging enough opening, it's a struggle to remain interested for a good hour and twenty minutes before anything concrete is revealed, and when you finally know what it's all about, you really no longer care. The casting is a mixed bag - Saoirse Ronan and Eric Bana are both serviceable, and Cate Blanchett is entertaining with a Texan accent. Tom Hollander on the other hand is completely miscast as a gun-for-hire - he's supposed to be a threatening mercenary, but he looks like Jimmy Savile...and is less scary. There's also an incredibly annoying British family on holiday who Hanna tags along with for a while - I imagine they were meant to ground the story in some sense, but the tone of these scenes is so jarring in comparison to the rest of the film that it borders on hilarity. So it's yet another dark thriller about a brainwashed teenage killing machine, and try as it might to be something different, Hanna is just a pale imitation of Nikita. Expand
  77. Jun 5, 2011
    Hanna = Excellent

Hanna = Saoirse Ronan

Saoirse Ronan = Beautiful Beautiful = Hanna This movie just works...amazing and cannot wait too see it again! Loved it! :)
  78. Jun 5, 2011
    Amazing, buzzing after this movie and I really think that this is one of the best movies of 2011 and will be hard to knock off that list! Saoirse Ronan is fantastic and the rest of the cast is not far behind!
  79. Jun 5, 2011
    This movie is 100% KICKASS! So perfect that makes you just want to jump around and KICKASS!

I love it, it is so fantastic and I really want to make this film do well! Saoirse Ronan is SAVAGE!
  80. Jun 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For those who enjoy this kind of thing, it begins promisingly. In the snowy Finnish wilderness, Hanna (Saoirse Ronan), delicate-faced but deathly as a Valkyrie, brings down a caribou with her bow and arrow. As she bends to her kill, a male voice behind her says: 'You're dead.' Unsurprisingly, this pronouncement is meant hypothetically. Her father, Erik (Eric Bana), is determined to keep his daughter on her toes by ambushing her at any opportunity (like Kato Fong in The Pink Panther). After a brief, martial artsy exchange, he leaves her lying in the snow, telling her she can bring back the caribou herself. As she eviscerates the animal, we begin to see one possible reason for this beautiful location; blood and intestines are so much more striking when shot against snow. As if to emphasise this, the scene closes with an aerial zoom-out of Hanna on her back, exhausted, lying against the gutted carcass. To begin with the plot is laughably absurd: rogue CIA agent Erik raises his daughter in a Grimm's fairytale cabin in the wilderness in order to groom her to kill CIA boss Marissa (Cate Blanchette) who killed his wife. This aside, the film has a whole slew of inconsistencies. One of the most glaring is Erik's failure, despite his intensive education programme, to introduce his daughter to some of the most basic aspects of city life, such as TV and, em, electricity. Another weirdness is that at the start of the film Hanna is well-trained in the lethal arts, taking out a number of the special forces unit that arrives to capture her (again inconsistently, since being captured is her objective); later, at the secret base where she'd held, she kills a few more guys, including the hapless woman who is sent in to interrogate her. All well and good, I suppose, but later in the film, while she's on the run through various countries, her super-powered inner assassin all but abandons her, culminating in a comically ridiculous scene that has her being chased by campy hit man Isaacs (Tom Hollander) and his dorky looking skinhead side-kicks.

This is comic-strip territory of course. When you enter the cinema (or buy a DVD) to view such a flick you are in effect paying for an invisible string attached to an invisible hot air balloon attached (hopefully) to your disbelief. However, after some initial tugging, mine stubbornly refused to lift. Give me Guillermo del Toro's Hellboy any day Saoirse Ronan has been justifiably praised for her acting (the directing is the problem) and Eric Bana is believable enough. Cate Blanchette as Marissa (or the White Witch) is pretty dire; she goes through the motions, not that she's allowed that many, coming across as a mannikin with a frozen smile. Like many other critics, Philip French has likened Hanna to Jason Bourne. Writing in The Observer, he concludes that 'the overall effect is polished, weightless and forgettable.' Weightless and forgettable maybe, but 'polished' suggests to me a rather different kind of film, one in which the clunky working parts are kept firmly below the bonnet. The Bourne series achieves this with some distinction, managing to be both weightless and memorable. Compared to those films, Hanna is a bone-shaker with pretensions, a risible mess.
  81. Jun 8, 2011
    The only thing this movie did was waste a hour and a half of my life. The filmmakers try to play with the governmental twists and turns of a modern day thriller but fail greatly. For the first hour and twenty minutes the film explained nothing and by the time the big payoff came, I just didn't care anymore.
  82. Jun 12, 2011
    This movie actually really surprised me. When I first saw the previews on TV I thought it was going to be more in the area of spy kids. I couldn't have been more wrong. The movie had an interesting story, great action a good set up and solid acting. Cate Blanchett was probably the weakest of all the actors but she still did a great job.I also thought that it was funny that 3 neo nazis were trying to hunt down one of the most arian girls on the planet. If you get the chance to see this movie do it, it will keep you interested and will probably surprise you. Expand
  83. Dec 3, 2011
    This movie was very poorly executed from the director to the actors. Many actors could not play their role and at some points looked very stiff. The director failed because the style of the movie was annoying and distracting. Dont waste your time the story is predictable and everything is bad.
  84. TTT
    Aug 19, 2011
    At start of the film I'm surprised for the arctic environment and the movements, sounds and fighting. The first part is so interesting. Then it strikes me as if the quarry to Morocco, where Hanna knows nothing except what he was told by the father of 'encyclopedia. Then I have to congratulate the actress, the director for his magnificent incuadrature and environments. I written this whit google translate . I'm Italian, and I must say that the Italian voice actors are a higher level than any other group of voice actors. Expand
  85. Sep 10, 2011
    While lacking in plot and atmosphere, this movie takes you to new places with interesting fight scenes. Saoirse did a wonderful job portraying her character and I just became a great fan of hers! The plot could have been much better considering the amazing opening.
  86. Sep 3, 2011
    Beautiful film, visually sumptuous, outstanding fight choreography, amazing Chemical Brothers soundtrack, really excellent cast... See it! Saoirse Ronan is brilliant in this, with a lead performance to match each of the other members of a great cast. I'm a big fan of Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett and Tom Hollander, and Ronan is as good as any of them. Really, really impressive actor and she has an otherworldly look that completely fits this character. Expand
  87. Sep 12, 2011
    What happened to Joe Wright? The British auteur was, at one time, an extremely exciting new prospect who seemed poised to take the film world by storm. In 2005, he dazzled critics and audiences with his charming adaptation of Jane Austenâ
  88. Sep 10, 2011
    What can I say about Joe Wright's Hanna. Well what an amazing film, exuberating, well crafted and pulsing with energy. Itâ
  89. Sep 11, 2011
    A really good movie, with an awesome cast -specially Saoirse Ronan-, and a thrilling soundtrack. All these wonders have a name: HANNA. Definitely it's a must-see film.
  90. Dec 8, 2011
    Adapt or Die. This is the training motto of 14-year-old Hanna's father who is preparing his daughter for the world beyond the rustic cabin walls in North Finland. Young, sweet, innocent, yet deadly Hanna has only ever known her father, Erik and the training and killing methods he has taught her for 14 years. In this well-done film, the motive of the characters and underlying themes leave you wondering what the social norm will eventually become. Hanna is taught that you must adapt to a situation or you will die. Hanna is not just a child prodigy, but a prodigy from a careful experimentation initiated by the CIA. During the movie, Hanna learns that her mother was a recruited pregnant woman from an abortion clinic for a special CIA project that was later pronounced to be a failure. All remnant and proof of the project must be eliminated. Hanna and her father, Erik do all they can to escape the traps of the CIA, specifically from the leader of the project, Marisa. Hanna's story is a story about a child's innocence that is lost and has been molded by the people who claimed to protect her. The movie, Hanna asks some important moral questions: Is it okay to genetically modify human DNA? Or to treat people as experiments, rather than human beings? Maybe we should take a step back and actually look at the character of Hanna. Hanna's innocence was destroyed because humans believed they could become the authors and creators of life. As a human race, manipulating the very form of life can be dangerous. We have been called to live life, not to influence and change what has already been created. As I watched Hanna I couldn't help but think about my own 14 year old sister who has grown up with her innocence and freedom to live life. Tampering with life that is not ours to tamper with crosses over the line of what is morally and ethically right. Hanna knew nothing different from killing, adapt or die, but was that fair? This excellent, yet tension-filled film is a must watch that will make you think critically about life issues that lie deeper than a CIA mystery. Expand
  91. Nov 12, 2013
    For months, the preview for Hanna played before everything I saw and to be honest it intrigued me. Unfortunately, it's just one of those film where all the good stuff is in the previews. Hanna is a special girl, wanted by The C.I.A., so since birth, her father hid her in a cabin in the North Pole. He trained her to be an ultimate weapon, to fight the people who sought her out, but as a result she had no idea about how the world worked. The only positive thing I could take away from this film was the performance of Saoirse Ronan, who was simply amazing. At 19, this girl isn't just a martial arts expert, but she speaks like a dozen languages. She is just as special and amazing as the character she was portraying and it's unfortunate that her skills were wasted in such a bomb of a movie. I don't think I've ever seen a slower moving, more boring action film in my life. Nothing is explained to you until much later on and by that point, you just really don't care anymore and want the film to be over. It's just one uncomfortable interaction after another, with seemingly no point, until the films disappointing climax. The actress was really talented and they could have done so much more with her, instead of putting her in a film, where she's running around like a chicken with her head cut off. I mean really, the story could not have been more thin and the supporting cast couldn't possibly have been any less helpful to the story. Hanna has an interesting star, but is ultimately a complete waste of time. Expand
  92. Dec 25, 2011
    An action movie with STYLE and CHARACTERS. If you just want mindless, formulaic stunts, with lazy direction, and awful writing, go see "Mission Impossible 4", or anything else in theaters. The plot isn't fleshed out well enough, so it loses points there. The direction and set pieces are hypnotic and unique, and the lead character is charming.
  93. Mar 5, 2012
    Hanna: Could have been a masterpiece. Let down with it's strange pacing, no fluidity, odd soundtrack and awful over-acting by Blanchett. A fairly shallow film with hints of deeper subtones including compulsory Red Riding Hood references. Action sequences borrowed from comics and animé style, and non-action scenes had fantastic ambience and cinematic style. The editing let the film down a great deal. Expand
  94. Mar 26, 2012
    Hanna was a masterpiece of horrible movies. Made absolutly no sense with a story that was to say the least sad. Who woud want to watch this movie. Worst movie of the year so far. Sickening.
  95. Feb 9, 2013
    I viewed "Hanna" with a mild curiosity. It feels that it started out as an average revenge thriller that was later enhanced by above average talents. The cast and crew of this film did more for the story that it could have asked of them. Sure, a lot of shooting and chasing goes around, but you can sense an evidence of planning and patience within them. The creators of "Hanna" operated with a vision of an audience with an attention span slightly longer than that of others.

The film opens somewhere near the Arctic Circle. A teenage girl, named Hanna (Saoirse Ronan), has just killed a deer with an arrow, followed by a bullet. She drags the carcass of the animal through the deep, icy snow to a cabin in the woods where her father, Erik (Eric Bana), is waiting for her. Not the best conditions for a teenage girl, I'm sure. We learn that father and daughter have been in this place since Hanna was still an infant. She has been homeschooled all her life. And because Erik is a wanted CIA agent, he forms Hanna into the perfect assassin.

Not everyone gets to master martial arts and firearms at that early age, and the secluded home of Hanna offers little distractions. But, this lifestyle is not without disadvantages. Except for her own father, Hanna has not known any other person. Her books tell her that the world contains so much, and she knows that she is a stranger to almost all of them. That is probably why she was more than eager to find out that her mission will require her to travel in order to eliminate lots of bad guys, including a secretive CIA officer, Marissa Wiegler (Cate Blanchett).

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/hanna-movie-review/
  96. May 19, 2012
    Entertaining movie if you accept fairy tales and unbelief. The movie will keep you at your hunger at the end. It has a great sound design and amazing craftsmanship of the story-telling. Cate Blanchet in a role of the big bad wolf who needs to capture the ' unreal ' girl.
  97. Sep 22, 2012
    I expected much less than I got from this film. It's not the greatest, but there is an artistic aspect to it that makes it much more interesting than the average Hollywood action flick.

The morose and confused nature of the film is what makes it intriguing to me. The colors are not so dark that they scream The Dark Knight, but lacking sufficiently in vibrance. The sound pulsates not so
    much with fear as with urgency, and a bit of chaos. The characters are deep enough that we get a sense of their history, full of conflict, but a good deal is left to the imagination. This is an action movie devoted to discovering oneself through one's actions. Toss Hanna into a world so much different than her own, and who will she become? That is the heart of this story.

There are a plethora of plot holes that I could exploit, but I won't because it would be a waste of time. The holes are obvious. If there is a significant flaw to this film, it is the plot - quite a bit of it is unrealistic. But the cinematography and the overall sound (including both music and sound editing) are top-notch. The title flashes at the start and end of the film scream Quentin Tarantino, particularly Kill Bill. The entire crew is obviously very talented, but the plot, as I said, is shaky.

The Chemical Brothers wrote the soundtrack, and I think it's brilliant. Rather than matching on-screen tension with the sonic tension of an orchestra, or loud, thrashing rock music, as most action movies would do, this one supplies a frantic yet beautiful electronic backdrop. The music is very thorough and well-orchestrated, not your run-of-the-mill dance party material. In place of in-your-face badassery, the Chemical Brothers actually manage to tap into the emotions of the characters to provide more suspense, focusing less on how cool the action is and more on what matters.

This is certainly worth the watch if you can get it for free and don't have any top-notch films available to you. It is a different experience from the norm, and even if you don't particularly like it, at the least you will not be bored. Some reviewers claim that Hanna is an underrated masterpiece. I agree with underrated, but not so strongly with masterpiece.

For more reviews, see my blog at kofdrops.blogspot.com.
  98. Nov 27, 2012
    Basic flaw in premise: Hanna must either kill someone or be killed by her. When she is ready for the challenge, she presses a button to begin the games. Wouldn't it have been wiser NOT to let her opponent know she was coming? She hadn't been seen since babyhood . They weren''t expecting her had no idea what she looked like. She could have returned to the world and lived in it undetected, choosing her moment to engage in battle or not choosing to be a warrior.. Her father seemed not to tell her (or the audience) enough to evaluate other options. It is also not clear what the father had to gain from the assassination Hanna was instructed to perpetrate- Expand
  99. Oct 12, 2013
    With a stylishly invigorating directorial effort from Joe Wright and a particularly memorable set of performances from Ronan, Bana, and Blanchett, "Hanna" makes for a worthy thriller with an unconventional lasting impact.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    May 2, 2011
    An absurd-sounding concept rendered wholly believable and thrilling by a fearless young actress and a director at the top of his game.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Apr 22, 2011
    When Wright literalizes the fantastic, the movie turns squalid. He does better when he lets his visual fancies roam free. [25 April, 2011 p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Apr 16, 2011
    Is there a moral objection to be raised about a movie that features a teenage girl as an assassin? I suppose there is, but I couldn't find it in me to object.