5.7

1. Jun 5, 2013
    Ridicilous, fairy tale based action film akin to Sleepy Hollow is fun in spots but feels low budget. A good thing that the film makers (and the casts) knew what they are making, and tried to have as much fun as possible. Nevertheless, it's a wonder how this became a box office hit as it is.
  2. Jan 26, 2013
    Going into this movie i knew exactly what to expect and i was right. its a fun movie but not a good one.. Its loud and dumb but it doesnt try to be anything else. the effects were kinda cool but nothing we havent seen before. overall i had fun but i would never watch it again, once through was plenty
  3. Aug 27, 2013
    From the surreal imagination of Tommy Wirkola, the director of Dead Snow, Norway's answer to the Evil Dead, comes this unconventional and fun re imagining of the Brothers Grimm tale of Hansel (Jeremy Renner) and Gretel (Gemma Arterton). The film follows Hansel and Gretel as they are cruelly abandoned by their parents and taught a valuable lesson about trust by an evil witch. This givesFrom the surreal imagination of Tommy Wirkola, the director of Dead Snow, Norway's answer to the Evil Dead, comes this unconventional and fun re imagining of the Brothers Grimm tale of Hansel (Jeremy Renner) and Gretel (Gemma Arterton). The film follows Hansel and Gretel as they are cruelly abandoned by their parents and taught a valuable lesson about trust by an evil witch. This gives them the strength to continue and take up the mantle of Witch Hunters. The film actually takes place years after the events of their childhood but this is still an origins story for these two characters. Renner's version of Hansel is quick witted, relentless and a born leader while Arterton's Gretel is vicious, warm and occasionally stupid as hell. The film does a decent job of depicting these characters as the crafty children who tricked and killed their first witch. However the film also tries to flesh Hansel and Gretel out with predictable backstory that is told one movie trope at a time. The film is pretty generic, its fairly slow and doesn't do a good job of keeping your attention and worst of all the films lead villain as played by Famke Janssen is awful and in the brief time she has been out of the limelight she has somehow forgotten how to act.. That being said, it is a funny feature, with Wirkola's signature dark and goofy humour shining through the films many problems and the unsettling feeling of mediocrity, making the film an oddly fun experience, not a perfect one, not a great one even but a fairly decent start to a franchise I can see getting better with age. Expand
  4. Jul 8, 2013
    Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters was actually worse than I thought it would be going in, and that's saying something considering that I didn't have high hopes for the film. I at least expected it to have a more interesting story. The acting was decent and Gemma Arterton is absolutely breathtaking but almost everything else about the movie was sub par. The plot, while it developed fairlyHansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters was actually worse than I thought it would be going in, and that's saying something considering that I didn't have high hopes for the film. I at least expected it to have a more interesting story. The acting was decent and Gemma Arterton is absolutely breathtaking but almost everything else about the movie was sub par. The plot, while it developed fairly well, was far too predictable, the dialogue was a mess, the gore factor felt overdone, and the action sequences were borderline laughable. The movie is pretty short and is entertaining enough, I suppose, to keep you from tuning out but just barely. Expand
  5. Jun 28, 2013
    This was one of the best bad movies that I've seen lately--and that's saying something. Witch Hunters was more entertaining than I expected, given the high level of cheese. Good hangover flick: the less thinking, the better.
  6. Mar 4, 2013
    After all this movie wasn't that bad. It was funny, had lots of blood and gore and an awesome soundtrack by Hans Zimmer which you recognized immediately if you watched Sherlock Holmes by Guy Richie. Sure it wasn't very deep but for a nice evening with friends at the cinema Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters was pretty decent.

But expect nothing well-written or something that will stay in

But expect nothing well-written or something that will stay in your mind for a long time. It is a one-time-thing. Not bad but not good either.
  7. Jul 25, 2013
    Hansel and Gretel offers a taste of the movie this zany premise could produce. Gemma Arterton sizzles as Gretel and Renner is valiant enough, but director Tommy Wirkola thinks he's making a serious movie, when he should be showing us Robert Rodgriguez-esque Grindhouse matireal.
  8. Apr 21, 2014
    A contemporary, somewhat steam-punk take on the classic fairytale, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters tries to utilise the popular idea of 'what happens after the story ends'. The whole ensemble is a camp, yet entertaining film, which is similar to 2004's Van Helsing. The performances are mediocre to satisfactory at best, with a poor script and short run-time limiting the cast to cardboardA contemporary, somewhat steam-punk take on the classic fairytale, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters tries to utilise the popular idea of 'what happens after the story ends'. The whole ensemble is a camp, yet entertaining film, which is similar to 2004's Van Helsing. The performances are mediocre to satisfactory at best, with a poor script and short run-time limiting the cast to cardboard acting. Overall, it's style over substance, but it somewhat embraces it, with a satire-like flair. The film doesn't take itself too seriously, and is a perfect example of a 'popcorn flick', perfect for a night in. Expand
  9. Jun 11, 2013
    The story is pretty bad, but the visuals led by the makeup and costumes barely keep it out of the red. Overall you don't really need to waste your time with this film.
  10. Jun 17, 2013
    I really don't know why this movie got so low critics and bad reviews, why all the hate, chill! I am here to resolve everything. This movie is perfect and terrible at the same time, it isn't really good nor terrible it is just a horror/thriller/comedy/action movie that wants your attention and give you a good time.
  11. Jul 2, 2013
    I was really perplexed by the end of this movie. Should I forgive it's very crazy assumptions and engage myself into the lore or should I step back and shun this movie for trying to appease a simple audience. In the end I remained stuck in the middle. The action was great but the story was way to liberal on the gadgets that just happened to do exactly what they needed to do. The acting wasI was really perplexed by the end of this movie. Should I forgive it's very crazy assumptions and engage myself into the lore or should I step back and shun this movie for trying to appease a simple audience. In the end I remained stuck in the middle. The action was great but the story was way to liberal on the gadgets that just happened to do exactly what they needed to do. The acting was good but when the script is bad, it really can't fix it that much. Expand
  12. Jul 23, 2013
    Hansel and Gretel is one of the most entertaining movie in 2013. Is nothing of special, but I think that is awesome just because is the really "vision" of the novel that becomes the "novel-that-not-to-be-told" to a child, 'cause is really scary in some ways. My vote is 6/10.
  13. May 25, 2014
    Well i knew that when i was going to watch this movie is wasn't going to be anything special and i was right. Rather then taking the story serious i took it as a joke and that's what it should be taken as. thought the film tries to make itself seem serious i watch it and laugh. The action was cool with a couple great death scenes. Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton do a good job that was oneWell i knew that when i was going to watch this movie is wasn't going to be anything special and i was right. Rather then taking the story serious i took it as a joke and that's what it should be taken as. thought the film tries to make itself seem serious i watch it and laugh. The action was cool with a couple great death scenes. Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton do a good job that was one thing about this is that they didn't completely suck Famke Janssen on the other hand though was just sad.

Overall i give it a 6.0 Gemma Arterton was the main reason why i watched this film and ill most likely re-watch at least one more time
  14. Jan 25, 2014
    This movie was alright. I feel it could have been made a little more intriguing than what it was. The acting was good, but there wasn't as much action as I had initially intended. Not only that, but I felt that the movie dragged on. So would i recommend it? Most likely not, but if you got nothing to do, sit down and watch it, you might enjoy it.
  15. Dec 31, 2014
    Just making it clear, I did not watch this movie just so I could give it a negative review. I wanted to like this movie but I just couldn't. The main characters were brutal. Jeremy Renner's character doesn't go through any development at all through the movie and Gemma Arterton was a useless character as well, and seemed to only be in the movie to show her body off. The costumes for theJust making it clear, I did not watch this movie just so I could give it a negative review. I wanted to like this movie but I just couldn't. The main characters were brutal. Jeremy Renner's character doesn't go through any development at all through the movie and Gemma Arterton was a useless character as well, and seemed to only be in the movie to show her body off. The costumes for the witches, obviously fake, you could tell you looking at someone in a mask. This movie could never really be a classic movie but I could've been done a lot better. Expand
  16. Aug 27, 2014
    This movie was okay. It had its moments but most the movie was dull and boring.
    ______________________________________________________________________

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 2, 2013
    This movie is a case in point. It's a film which is so demeaningly bad, so utterly without merit, that there is a kind of purity in its awfulness. There is a Zen mastery in producing a film which nullifies the concept of pleasure.
  2. Reviewed by: Josh Winning
    Feb 9, 2013
    Though it gives good splat and the scenery’s to die for, Hansel & Gretel gets just about everything wrong. Hammy, boring, chronically unfunny - there’ll be nightmares before bedtime.
  3. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Jan 30, 2013
    In his English-language debut, Wirkola dabbles in everything but commits to nothing, making for an unmemorable brew best left untasted.