5.7

1. Jul 19, 2013
    I'm a fan of the idea of taking classic fairy tales and making them into more goofy and violent territory and this movie does just that. The movie isn't trying to be the smartest thing out there, it's just trying to be a violent, fun time and it succeeds at doing so. It's got gory action that's over the top, cheesy lines, and a heck of a lot of fun backing it up. So if you're in the moodI'm a fan of the idea of taking classic fairy tales and making them into more goofy and violent territory and this movie does just that. The movie isn't trying to be the smartest thing out there, it's just trying to be a violent, fun time and it succeeds at doing so. It's got gory action that's over the top, cheesy lines, and a heck of a lot of fun backing it up. So if you're in the mood to just watch a straight up over the top movie with a fairy tale theme then check out this one. You may just end up surprised at how much fun you had with it. Expand
  2. Aug 28, 2015
    Honestly, what did we expect? A never-before-heard director creating an original masterpiece that doesn't contain any swearing or terrible, gory-action-filled, droll action sequences? Pfft.
  3. Feb 16, 2013
    This is called a Movie. An actual, splatterfest with so much gore you will end up laughing. Hansel and Gretel Witch hunters is a GREAT movie, it's really good because all we see today is critically acclaimed movies like Argo and Flight. I mean those movies were great but this is real entertainment. It's just a entertaining movie. The witches idea was well compelled by the director TommyThis is called a Movie. An actual, splatterfest with so much gore you will end up laughing. Hansel and Gretel Witch hunters is a GREAT movie, it's really good because all we see today is critically acclaimed movies like Argo and Flight. I mean those movies were great but this is real entertainment. It's just a entertaining movie. The witches idea was well compelled by the director Tommy Wirkola, so this movie is basically Shaun Of The Dead with Fancy Guns with Hunters and With Witches. It's is a real movie. If critics could have examined it closely......... Well 10/10 for me! Splatterfest ahoy! Expand
  4. May 5, 2013
    The movie is more disgusting, foul and harder to look at then a piece of crap. Its so bad that the stupidity becomes hilarious after awhile. 20 minutes into the film I didn't care and frankly didn't know what the hell was going on.
  5. Jun 11, 2013
    The story is pretty bad, but the visuals led by the makeup and costumes barely keep it out of the red. Overall you don't really need to waste your time with this film.
  6. Jul 25, 2013
    Hansel and Gretel offers a taste of the movie this zany premise could produce. Gemma Arterton sizzles as Gretel and Renner is valiant enough, but director Tommy Wirkola thinks he's making a serious movie, when he should be showing us Robert Rodgriguez-esque Grindhouse matireal.
  7. Dec 31, 2014
    Just making it clear, I did not watch this movie just so I could give it a negative review. I wanted to like this movie but I just couldn't. The main characters were brutal. Jeremy Renner's character doesn't go through any development at all through the movie and Gemma Arterton was a useless character as well, and seemed to only be in the movie to show her body off. The costumes for theJust making it clear, I did not watch this movie just so I could give it a negative review. I wanted to like this movie but I just couldn't. The main characters were brutal. Jeremy Renner's character doesn't go through any development at all through the movie and Gemma Arterton was a useless character as well, and seemed to only be in the movie to show her body off. The costumes for the witches, obviously fake, you could tell you looking at someone in a mask. This movie could never really be a classic movie but I could've been done a lot better. Expand
  8. Jan 28, 2013
    It's almost charming, it's almost funny, and the action is almost exciting. Nothing flows, the writing is poor and it's essentially brain-dead fare. A waste of a handful of pretty solid actors - and it's no wonder that Paramount and MGM chose to share this risk of this sucker. It's too bad that McKay & Ferrell didn't get more involved in the making of this film - it could have used someIt's almost charming, it's almost funny, and the action is almost exciting. Nothing flows, the writing is poor and it's essentially brain-dead fare. A waste of a handful of pretty solid actors - and it's no wonder that Paramount and MGM chose to share this risk of this sucker. It's too bad that McKay & Ferrell didn't get more involved in the making of this film - it could have used some punching up. Expand
  9. Dec 25, 2015
    " Hansel and Gretel : Witch Hunters" movie was too bad , as it occurs to them to change a child's tale , a story of almost adult?, from ophraned children to witch hunters . for witches revenge? , Hmmm ! What a stupid thing!!!.
  10. Jul 8, 2013
    Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters was actually worse than I thought it would be going in, and that's saying something considering that I didn't have high hopes for the film. I at least expected it to have a more interesting story. The acting was decent and Gemma Arterton is absolutely breathtaking but almost everything else about the movie was sub par. The plot, while it developed fairlyHansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters was actually worse than I thought it would be going in, and that's saying something considering that I didn't have high hopes for the film. I at least expected it to have a more interesting story. The acting was decent and Gemma Arterton is absolutely breathtaking but almost everything else about the movie was sub par. The plot, while it developed fairly well, was far too predictable, the dialogue was a mess, the gore factor felt overdone, and the action sequences were borderline laughable. The movie is pretty short and is entertaining enough, I suppose, to keep you from tuning out but just barely. Expand
  11. Mar 24, 2013
    This is what i hate about the begin of a new year in film, hollywood comes up with these idiotic rip-offs. I have had enough with all these ridiculous fairy tale/horror rip-offs like "Jack the Giant Slayer" and "Texas Chainshaw 3D". It's just another useless, terrible popcorn movie.
  12. Aug 12, 2013
    While this film is far from brilliant it is allot of fun and takes a pretty amusing turn on a classic fairytale. I can understand why the more critical would score this so low, but for sheer mindless fun, it does it's job.

Overall:
    As long as you go into it with no expectations and turn your mind off, you will enjoy it.
  13. Aug 27, 2013
    From the surreal imagination of Tommy Wirkola, the director of Dead Snow, Norway's answer to the Evil Dead, comes this unconventional and fun re imagining of the Brothers Grimm tale of Hansel (Jeremy Renner) and Gretel (Gemma Arterton). The film follows Hansel and Gretel as they are cruelly abandoned by their parents and taught a valuable lesson about trust by an evil witch. This givesFrom the surreal imagination of Tommy Wirkola, the director of Dead Snow, Norway's answer to the Evil Dead, comes this unconventional and fun re imagining of the Brothers Grimm tale of Hansel (Jeremy Renner) and Gretel (Gemma Arterton). The film follows Hansel and Gretel as they are cruelly abandoned by their parents and taught a valuable lesson about trust by an evil witch. This gives them the strength to continue and take up the mantle of Witch Hunters. The film actually takes place years after the events of their childhood but this is still an origins story for these two characters. Renner's version of Hansel is quick witted, relentless and a born leader while Arterton's Gretel is vicious, warm and occasionally stupid as hell. The film does a decent job of depicting these characters as the crafty children who tricked and killed their first witch. However the film also tries to flesh Hansel and Gretel out with predictable backstory that is told one movie trope at a time. The film is pretty generic, its fairly slow and doesn't do a good job of keeping your attention and worst of all the films lead villain as played by Famke Janssen is awful and in the brief time she has been out of the limelight she has somehow forgotten how to act.. That being said, it is a funny feature, with Wirkola's signature dark and goofy humour shining through the films many problems and the unsettling feeling of mediocrity, making the film an oddly fun experience, not a perfect one, not a great one even but a fairly decent start to a franchise I can see getting better with age. Expand
  14. Nov 13, 2014
    "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" 10 Scale Rating: 2.0 (Awful) ...

The Good: Could have been a fun idea, I guess ... The Bad: Horrible, horrible acting and dialogue. Renner and Arterton are usually pretty good, but they were awful in this film ... especially Arterton. The special effects were cartoon-like and poorly done. The story itself was laughable and way worse than I imagined
    "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" 10 Scale Rating: 2.0 (Awful) ...

The Good: Could have been a fun idea, I guess ...

The Bad: Horrible, horrible acting and dialogue. Renner and Arterton are usually pretty good, but they were awful in this film ... especially Arterton. The special effects were cartoon-like and poorly done. The story itself was laughable and way worse than I imagined it would be. I had difficulty getting all the way to the end. One of the worst films of 2013.
  15. Jan 28, 2013
    Yes, Jeremy Renner can make crappy movie too. But if you come because Gemma Artenton's cleavage, as in the poster suggests, the movie will keep you quite entertained. The most notable flaw is the uncertain direction it's supposed to take, frankly it's hinged between tasteless horror action or misguided parody, like a broom between a witch's crack, neither is done that well. Also, theYes, Jeremy Renner can make crappy movie too. But if you come because Gemma Artenton's cleavage, as in the poster suggests, the movie will keep you quite entertained. The most notable flaw is the uncertain direction it's supposed to take, frankly it's hinged between tasteless horror action or misguided parody, like a broom between a witch's crack, neither is done that well. Also, the concept of gritty version of fairy tale characters as mercenaries is a blatant excuse of luring audiences hooked on fantasy theme, but ultimately ends up delivering little to none pleasure, even the guilty one. Okay, maybe the guilty one.

Hansel and Gretel are big kids now, traumatized and vengeful towards witches
  16. Sep 9, 2014
    "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" is an unbelievably bad movie. I knew I was getting in to something that was intentionally cheesy and over-the-top, but it's neither cheesy enough to be so bad it's good nor serious enough to be a mildly entertaining action-fantasy flick at best. Everything is awful about this film: the atrocious acting, the boring action scenes, and the generic plot. This"Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" is an unbelievably bad movie. I knew I was getting in to something that was intentionally cheesy and over-the-top, but it's neither cheesy enough to be so bad it's good nor serious enough to be a mildly entertaining action-fantasy flick at best. Everything is awful about this film: the atrocious acting, the boring action scenes, and the generic plot. This should have been a made-for-television movie at best. Expand
  17. Feb 19, 2013
    A nice pleasant surprise here as this was much better than I was expecting. Corny, perhaps, but there was certainly enough action gore to make up for it. Both of our leads were likable and played their roles, as did the villains. It was so refreshing not to see the film under so much CGI like a lot of recent Horror films, and there was a nice amount of stunt work involved! Overall IA nice pleasant surprise here as this was much better than I was expecting. Corny, perhaps, but there was certainly enough action gore to make up for it. Both of our leads were likable and played their roles, as did the villains. It was so refreshing not to see the film under so much CGI like a lot of recent Horror films, and there was a nice amount of stunt work involved! Overall I thoroughly enjoyed it, and while slightly predictable, it's too fun and enjoyable not to like! Expand
  18. Mar 15, 2013
    Silly, violent and ridiculously great fun! Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters stays true to its title in the best possible way and really brings in the witch fighting awesomeness. With plenty of humour and bloody violence, this film is definitely one of the most fun 3D films in a while and will be enjoyed by fans of horror, fantasy and comedy alike.
  19. Oct 12, 2013
    This is a good movie to watch during the Halloween season. Hansel and Gretel vs the Witches make for some good action scenes.I loved how they got a bit bloody with this movie, and didn`t feel the need to keep it to clean. I was actually surprised that they went that route.This is a movie full of fun the whole way through, you will not find a bathroom break in it lol
  20. Nov 26, 2014
    Dumb, trashy, and lacking any sort of memorable impact, Hansel & Gretel ends up as mindless... not quite fun. It's too disgusting to be mindless fun. The action is for the most part generic and overly gory, with guts flying everywhere. It's full of other disgusting visuals as well. You really don't want to eat while watching this. This movie could have worked as a full on spoof. TheDumb, trashy, and lacking any sort of memorable impact, Hansel & Gretel ends up as mindless... not quite fun. It's too disgusting to be mindless fun. The action is for the most part generic and overly gory, with guts flying everywhere. It's full of other disgusting visuals as well. You really don't want to eat while watching this. This movie could have worked as a full on spoof. The sets are already intentionally cheesy looking, and there's some goofy banter, but for some reason the movie doesn't want to commit to it. It just ends up wasting a good cast and time. Expand
  21. May 25, 2014
    Well i knew that when i was going to watch this movie is wasn't going to be anything special and i was right. Rather then taking the story serious i took it as a joke and that's what it should be taken as. thought the film tries to make itself seem serious i watch it and laugh. The action was cool with a couple great death scenes. Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton do a good job that was oneWell i knew that when i was going to watch this movie is wasn't going to be anything special and i was right. Rather then taking the story serious i took it as a joke and that's what it should be taken as. thought the film tries to make itself seem serious i watch it and laugh. The action was cool with a couple great death scenes. Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton do a good job that was one thing about this is that they didn't completely suck Famke Janssen on the other hand though was just sad.

Overall i give it a 6.0 Gemma Arterton was the main reason why i watched this film and ill most likely re-watch at least one more time
  22. Dec 31, 2013
    Um dos piores filmes do ano, a história, os efeitos visuais e seus personagens são irritantes, ainda nem sei o motivo que me fez assistir essa bomba do cinema.
  23. Jun 5, 2013
    Ridicilous, fairy tale based action film akin to Sleepy Hollow is fun in spots but feels low budget. A good thing that the film makers (and the casts) knew what they are making, and tried to have as much fun as possible. Nevertheless, it's a wonder how this became a box office hit as it is.
  24. Jun 4, 2013
    "A Timeless classic gets well..butchered. The idea for Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters is somewhat mildly clever and does it best, its just boring, childish and well dumb. It was an idea that probably sounded good on paper, it should have stayed that way." D-
  25. Jan 25, 2013
    Very fast-paced, lots of action, not much dialogues, awesome battle scenes, memorable characters. Firearms and gadgets that make a different feel than just a nightmarish fairytale. Hopefully the ending meant that there will be a continuation. P.S. No idea why the score is so low.
  26. Feb 1, 2013
    I thing I hated this movie because it holds the idea of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter 3D, which is so unbelievably Stupid this one differs nothing except that the thing made me change the ZERO into THREE..That the actors fit right in, they rocked! The movie SUCKED!
  27. Jun 17, 2013
    I really don't know why this movie got so low critics and bad reviews, why all the hate, chill! I am here to resolve everything. This movie is perfect and terrible at the same time, it isn't really good nor terrible it is just a horror/thriller/comedy/action movie that wants your attention and give you a good time.
  28. Mar 2, 2014
    It was okay I was actually quite disappointed when I saw it the first time because I was really expecting more from this. It just simply didn't live up to my standards.
  29. May 26, 2013
    If you ignore the reviews you may find this film a really enjoyable way to spend an hour and a half. The 2 leads are obviously having a lot of fun and are very easy on the eye. The story thunders along, granted in a somewhat predictable and formulaic manner, with lots of great set pieces and some good comedy lines. The steampunk weapons and fights are really exciting. The only downside forIf you ignore the reviews you may find this film a really enjoyable way to spend an hour and a half. The 2 leads are obviously having a lot of fun and are very easy on the eye. The story thunders along, granted in a somewhat predictable and formulaic manner, with lots of great set pieces and some good comedy lines. The steampunk weapons and fights are really exciting. The only downside for me was that it's a little too gory at times, particularly when children are involved. Other than that this is brilliant popcorn fun. I'm glad to hear they're doing a sequel. Expand
  30. Jan 17, 2014
    This movie is a guilty pleasure to me, that's why it isn't rated lower, but sadly Jeremy Renner is wasted once again, the witches look awful, and the acting is even worse, still you might wanna check it out if you're drunk.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 2, 2013
    This movie is a case in point. It's a film which is so demeaningly bad, so utterly without merit, that there is a kind of purity in its awfulness. There is a Zen mastery in producing a film which nullifies the concept of pleasure.
  2. Reviewed by: Josh Winning
    Feb 9, 2013
    Though it gives good splat and the scenery’s to die for, Hansel & Gretel gets just about everything wrong. Hammy, boring, chronically unfunny - there’ll be nightmares before bedtime.
  3. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Jan 30, 2013
    In his English-language debut, Wirkola dabbles in everything but commits to nothing, making for an unmemorable brew best left untasted.