5.7

1. Nov 26, 2014
    Dumb, trashy, and lacking any sort of memorable impact, Hansel & Gretel ends up as mindless... not quite fun. It's too disgusting to be mindless fun. The action is for the most part generic and overly gory, with guts flying everywhere. It's full of other disgusting visuals as well. You really don't want to eat while watching this. This movie could have worked as a full on spoof. TheDumb, trashy, and lacking any sort of memorable impact, Hansel & Gretel ends up as mindless... not quite fun. It's too disgusting to be mindless fun. The action is for the most part generic and overly gory, with guts flying everywhere. It's full of other disgusting visuals as well. You really don't want to eat while watching this. This movie could have worked as a full on spoof. The sets are already intentionally cheesy looking, and there's some goofy banter, but for some reason the movie doesn't want to commit to it. It just ends up wasting a good cast and time. Expand
  2. Nov 13, 2014
    "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" 10 Scale Rating: 2.0 (Awful) ...

The Good: Could have been a fun idea, I guess ... The Bad: Horrible, horrible acting and dialogue. Renner and Arterton are usually pretty good, but they were awful in this film ... especially Arterton. The special effects were cartoon-like and poorly done. The story itself was laughable and way worse than I imagined
    "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" 10 Scale Rating: 2.0 (Awful) ...

The Good: Could have been a fun idea, I guess ...

The Bad: Horrible, horrible acting and dialogue. Renner and Arterton are usually pretty good, but they were awful in this film ... especially Arterton. The special effects were cartoon-like and poorly done. The story itself was laughable and way worse than I imagined it would be. I had difficulty getting all the way to the end. One of the worst films of 2013.
  3. Sep 28, 2014
    This movie is an action packed film filled with blood and gore. Definitely a fun movie just to sit down and watch to pass the time. As said in other reviews, this movie is simply a fun movie. I'd would definitely recommend this movie to anyone who is into lots (and lots) of blood and gore.

Sure the writing isn't the best and includes a lot of "perfect timing saves" and "someone just got hurt, but they're instantly up again". But as said before it's just a fun movie to watch.
  4. Sep 9, 2014
    "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" is an unbelievably bad movie. I knew I was getting in to something that was intentionally cheesy and over-the-top, but it's neither cheesy enough to be so bad it's good nor serious enough to be a mildly entertaining action-fantasy flick at best. Everything is awful about this film: the atrocious acting, the boring action scenes, and the generic plot. This"Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" is an unbelievably bad movie. I knew I was getting in to something that was intentionally cheesy and over-the-top, but it's neither cheesy enough to be so bad it's good nor serious enough to be a mildly entertaining action-fantasy flick at best. Everything is awful about this film: the atrocious acting, the boring action scenes, and the generic plot. This should have been a made-for-television movie at best. Expand
  5. Aug 27, 2014
    This movie was okay. It had its moments but most the movie was dull and boring.
    ______________________________________________________________________
  6. Aug 24, 2014
    Glad I didn't listen to any of the idiots on here!! I would have missed a great movie with awesome fight scenes!! Would make a great video game!! Had a real good time with this movie!!
  7. Aug 17, 2014
    If you're expecting some kind of masterpiece film of a re working of the fairy tale Hansel and Gretel then this isnt the film for you. Essentially this is just a mindless action movie and thats not necessary a bad thing.
    For fans of action movies then this will be great for your collection, if you like more subsentence then i recommend you stay away
    Im surprised how gory this film is,

Im surprised how gory this film is, for some reason i assumed it was aimed toward early teens, its not, there is a lot of blood and cuts.

I cant help feeling that this film could have been something more if only more time was put into story and character back stories. Some of the fighting seens i thought were pretty well done but theres something to say when the film is over and i cant even remember any characters name (minus hansel and gretel)
    I also never felt any bond between Gemma and Jermeny, their acting was at times very wooden. Famkie on the other hand gave a great performance.

If you like action movies then this will be great for your collection, if you like more subsentence then i recommend you stay away
  8. Aug 10, 2014
    Why does this film get low reviews? It is such an entertaining movie which takes itself not serious. It was one the most entertaining films i have seen so far. Overall the humor works well, the characters are entertaining and the fight scenes are great.
  9. Jul 28, 2014
    Aksiyon filmi böyle olur dedirtiyor, birkaç dakika olsun tempo düşmüyor, çok ciddiye almadan zevkle izlenebilir eğlencelik film. Hikaye veya masal çok daha iyi çekilebilirdi diye insan düşünmeden edemiyor.
  10. May 25, 2014
    Well i knew that when i was going to watch this movie is wasn't going to be anything special and i was right. Rather then taking the story serious i took it as a joke and that's what it should be taken as. thought the film tries to make itself seem serious i watch it and laugh. The action was cool with a couple great death scenes. Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton do a good job that was oneWell i knew that when i was going to watch this movie is wasn't going to be anything special and i was right. Rather then taking the story serious i took it as a joke and that's what it should be taken as. thought the film tries to make itself seem serious i watch it and laugh. The action was cool with a couple great death scenes. Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton do a good job that was one thing about this is that they didn't completely suck Famke Janssen on the other hand though was just sad.

Overall i give it a 6.0 Gemma Arterton was the main reason why i watched this film and ill most likely re-watch at least one more time
  11. Apr 21, 2014
    A contemporary, somewhat steam-punk take on the classic fairytale, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters tries to utilise the popular idea of 'what happens after the story ends'. The whole ensemble is a camp, yet entertaining film, which is similar to 2004's Van Helsing. The performances are mediocre to satisfactory at best, with a poor script and short run-time limiting the cast to cardboardA contemporary, somewhat steam-punk take on the classic fairytale, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters tries to utilise the popular idea of 'what happens after the story ends'. The whole ensemble is a camp, yet entertaining film, which is similar to 2004's Van Helsing. The performances are mediocre to satisfactory at best, with a poor script and short run-time limiting the cast to cardboard acting. Overall, it's style over substance, but it somewhat embraces it, with a satire-like flair. The film doesn't take itself too seriously, and is a perfect example of a 'popcorn flick', perfect for a night in. Expand
  12. Apr 10, 2014
    “Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters” is yet another failed attempt to convert a child’s tale into an adult-oriented action movie. Following in the footsteps of such films as “Red Riding Hood” and “Snow White and the Huntsman,” the movie completely misses the mark.
    Filled with modern humor and lingo, “Hansel & Gretel” completely breaks the illusion of taking place in what the environment suggests is the Middle Ages. If this wasn’t enough, the two are fully equipment with a high-tech, witch-hunting arsenal (including, of course, a Gatling gun).
    Overall, I would rate the movie as a low F.
  13. Mar 22, 2014
    best Movie ever made after Movies like evil dead gore an blood some funny elements in it to you have be a person that really like good old fantasy gore great from the begining too the end hej då

its getting bad score from the persons that have lost they fantasy that persons should stop Reviews Movie like this. look forward to the second Movie
  14. Mar 2, 2014
    It was okay I was actually quite disappointed when I saw it the first time because I was really expecting more from this. It just simply didn't live up to my standards.
  15. Jan 25, 2014
    This movie was alright. I feel it could have been made a little more intriguing than what it was. The acting was good, but there wasn't as much action as I had initially intended. Not only that, but I felt that the movie dragged on. So would i recommend it? Most likely not, but if you got nothing to do, sit down and watch it, you might enjoy it.
  16. Jan 17, 2014
    This movie is a guilty pleasure to me, that's why it isn't rated lower, but sadly Jeremy Renner is wasted once again, the witches look awful, and the acting is even worse, still you might wanna check it out if you're drunk.
  17. Jan 2, 2014
    Don't trust the reviews that movies is just Great!Trust your gut and enjoy the movie.Movie have everything you want good acting,good actions,great sense of humor,great fun
  18. Dec 31, 2013
    Um dos piores filmes do ano, a história, os efeitos visuais e seus personagens são irritantes, ainda nem sei o motivo que me fez assistir essa bomba do cinema.
  19. Nov 6, 2013
    Nothing special, just a clear example of the lack of originality and a great way to ruin a classic story. This movie offers you approximately 90 minutes of intense violence without sense. I waste my money.
  20. Nov 1, 2013
    This movie was awesome. Great action and a good amount of gore. This movie is definitely better than its other competitors (Snow White and the Huntsman and Jack the Giant Slayer). I guess its because the makers of the movie decided to let the R Rating be. I loved it. One of my favorite action-horror movies. IGNORE THE CRITIC REVIEWS.
  21. Oct 12, 2013
    This is a good movie to watch during the Halloween season. Hansel and Gretel vs the Witches make for some good action scenes.I loved how they got a bit bloody with this movie, and didn`t feel the need to keep it to clean. I was actually surprised that they went that route.This is a movie full of fun the whole way through, you will not find a bathroom break in it lol
  22. Sep 8, 2013
    I think the critics have scored this film very unfairly. This is one of those films that is so bad that it's good. If you take it for what I perceive it to be which is tongue in cheek, full of cheese and prepared to laugh at itself then you'll enjoy it. If you watch it looking for a serious film then you will be very disappointed. I would watch another one.
  23. Aug 27, 2013
    From the surreal imagination of Tommy Wirkola, the director of Dead Snow, Norway's answer to the Evil Dead, comes this unconventional and fun re imagining of the Brothers Grimm tale of Hansel (Jeremy Renner) and Gretel (Gemma Arterton). The film follows Hansel and Gretel as they are cruelly abandoned by their parents and taught a valuable lesson about trust by an evil witch. This givesFrom the surreal imagination of Tommy Wirkola, the director of Dead Snow, Norway's answer to the Evil Dead, comes this unconventional and fun re imagining of the Brothers Grimm tale of Hansel (Jeremy Renner) and Gretel (Gemma Arterton). The film follows Hansel and Gretel as they are cruelly abandoned by their parents and taught a valuable lesson about trust by an evil witch. This gives them the strength to continue and take up the mantle of Witch Hunters. The film actually takes place years after the events of their childhood but this is still an origins story for these two characters. Renner's version of Hansel is quick witted, relentless and a born leader while Arterton's Gretel is vicious, warm and occasionally stupid as hell. The film does a decent job of depicting these characters as the crafty children who tricked and killed their first witch. However the film also tries to flesh Hansel and Gretel out with predictable backstory that is told one movie trope at a time. The film is pretty generic, its fairly slow and doesn't do a good job of keeping your attention and worst of all the films lead villain as played by Famke Janssen is awful and in the brief time she has been out of the limelight she has somehow forgotten how to act.. That being said, it is a funny feature, with Wirkola's signature dark and goofy humour shining through the films many problems and the unsettling feeling of mediocrity, making the film an oddly fun experience, not a perfect one, not a great one even but a fairly decent start to a franchise I can see getting better with age. Expand
  24. Aug 18, 2013
    It's unfair to call it "bad" as it never intended to be "good" in the first place. It's a spoof-ish movie, and it does the job quite well. The violence was hilarious and everything else was over-the-top as it should be. I have to say I quite enjoyed this one.
  25. Aug 18, 2013
    Waited a long time before watching this movie, because of the low reviews. And again, it shows that you should never follow critics when it comes to movies. This movie is exactly what it was meant to be. It's not pretending to be something else. It's an over the top movie with lots of gore, cheesy one-liners and nice effects. As stated in other user reviews, it's fun, plain and simple.Waited a long time before watching this movie, because of the low reviews. And again, it shows that you should never follow critics when it comes to movies. This movie is exactly what it was meant to be. It's not pretending to be something else. It's an over the top movie with lots of gore, cheesy one-liners and nice effects. As stated in other user reviews, it's fun, plain and simple. Having said that, the dialogue could certainly be better. The one-liners aren't really funny most of the time. Better writing with more clever and witty dialogues would have made this movie seem less shallow. Overall, i really enjoyed it for what it is. Another downside is that i'll probably have a crush on Gemma Arterton for the next few weeks Expand
  26. Aug 12, 2013
    While this film is far from brilliant it is allot of fun and takes a pretty amusing turn on a classic fairytale. I can understand why the more critical would score this so low, but for sheer mindless fun, it does it's job.

Overall:
    As long as you go into it with no expectations and turn your mind off, you will enjoy it.
  27. Jul 29, 2013
    I don't like Renner. His acting is always awful. This film is very predictable, I can always tell what will happen next. Too much blood and gore, leave those kind of things to Tarantino.
  28. Jul 25, 2013
    Hansel and Gretel offers a taste of the movie this zany premise could produce. Gemma Arterton sizzles as Gretel and Renner is valiant enough, but director Tommy Wirkola thinks he's making a serious movie, when he should be showing us Robert Rodgriguez-esque Grindhouse matireal.
  29. Jul 23, 2013
    Hansel and Gretel is one of the most entertaining movie in 2013. Is nothing of special, but I think that is awesome just because is the really "vision" of the novel that becomes the "novel-that-not-to-be-told" to a child, 'cause is really scary in some ways. My vote is 6/10.
  30. Jul 19, 2013
    I'm a fan of the idea of taking classic fairy tales and making them into more goofy and violent territory and this movie does just that. The movie isn't trying to be the smartest thing out there, it's just trying to be a violent, fun time and it succeeds at doing so. It's got gory action that's over the top, cheesy lines, and a heck of a lot of fun backing it up. So if you're in the moodI'm a fan of the idea of taking classic fairy tales and making them into more goofy and violent territory and this movie does just that. The movie isn't trying to be the smartest thing out there, it's just trying to be a violent, fun time and it succeeds at doing so. It's got gory action that's over the top, cheesy lines, and a heck of a lot of fun backing it up. So if you're in the mood to just watch a straight up over the top movie with a fairy tale theme then check out this one. You may just end up surprised at how much fun you had with it. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 2, 2013
    This movie is a case in point. It's a film which is so demeaningly bad, so utterly without merit, that there is a kind of purity in its awfulness. There is a Zen mastery in producing a film which nullifies the concept of pleasure.
  2. Reviewed by: Josh Winning
    Feb 9, 2013
    Though it gives good splat and the scenery’s to die for, Hansel & Gretel gets just about everything wrong. Hammy, boring, chronically unfunny - there’ll be nightmares before bedtime.
  3. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Jan 30, 2013
    In his English-language debut, Wirkola dabbles in everything but commits to nothing, making for an unmemorable brew best left untasted.