Lot 47 Films | Release Date: November 2, 2001
7.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 6 Ratings
WATCH NOW
ChadS.Feb 1, 2002
"Happenstance" features the granddaddy of meet-cutes. When destiny catches up to Tautou and Faudel, their ensuing recognition of each other elicited a laugh out from me that was audible and sustained. Mind you, this is the latter of the two "Happenstance" features the granddaddy of meet-cutes. When destiny catches up to Tautou and Faudel, their ensuing recognition of each other elicited a laugh out from me that was audible and sustained. Mind you, this is the latter of the two laughs. Director Laurent Firode does a brilliant job of setting the stage for, as I've already mentioned, the granddaddy of all meet-cutes. I got off the bandwagon of "Amelie" backlash after seeing "Happenstance". Audrey Tautou is a star. Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful
GeorgeM.Jan 4, 2005
This is probably the best foreign film that i have seen in years, this movie renewed my love of Paris and all that dwell within it, thus my moving to Paris in the fall. Good day.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
lasttimeisawJun 5, 2013
It’s Audrey Tautou before AMELIE (2001, 9/10), from writer/director Laurent Firode, HAPPENSTANCE is adept in contriving a string of butterfly effects engendered among two dozens of people in one day until at the very end concludes with aIt’s Audrey Tautou before AMELIE (2001, 9/10), from writer/director Laurent Firode, HAPPENSTANCE is adept in contriving a string of butterfly effects engendered among two dozens of people in one day until at the very end concludes with a boy-meet-girl scenario, they share the same birthday and meet earlier in the morning, then fate brings them together in its unique design, with a bruised nose.

The brisk premise of a horoscopic premonition is intriguing, the pace is upbeat and the camera is restless in introducing a kaleidoscope of quirky dramatis personae into the stage one after another, bewildering sometimes, then once we get a hold of that it is an assemble piece whose mainstay is hanging on a thin theory of unwitting behavior’s chain-reaction, its allure begins to dwindle, the desultory contrivance oversteps the original intention of “an accidental slice-of-life”, the story is totally at the disposal of writer’s wild and arbitrary imagination as long as the circle meets its end in the coda (not such a demanding request for one who is capable of imagining), which could be assessed as an artistic shortchange fails to meet the face value of a feature film, a concise short form is enough to spread this one-track mind precept.

There are no clear leads inasmuch as the bulky cast, so besides Tautou and Faudel’s belated encounter, other threads never have their own closures, e.g. Eric Feldman’s mendacious museum guard and Eric Savin’s wavering husband, neither find their answers in their respective stores. Maybe it is what happens in real life, but as an entity, the loose-ends are despondent and incompetent. Luckily, the film should be merited for its variegated caricature of human behaviors, mostly are transient due to the repetitive structure, nevertheless the film entertains audiences in its down-to-earth earnestness and leaves us a wistful sigh only if fatalism could dominate the world, life would be much easier and simpler!