8.2

1. Ozy
    Dec 16, 2014
    Why oh why oh why is this movie rated so low by the 'experts' ?? I understand that a number of people wont like this movie, like people who watch gone with the wind for 10,000th time on Saturday night. People like my mother who wont find the movie all that amusing because there were no real romantic scenes. Or people like my 5th grade teacher who hated cursing. Yeah fair enough they mayWhy oh why oh why is this movie rated so low by the 'experts' ?? I understand that a number of people wont like this movie, like people who watch gone with the wind for 10,000th time on Saturday night. People like my mother who wont find the movie all that amusing because there were no real romantic scenes. Or people like my 5th grade teacher who hated cursing. Yeah fair enough they may hate it - but their views are not the be all and end all view of this movie. I have watched this movie several times and enjoyed it thoroughly. I laughed all the way thru. I loved the chemistry between the characters i thought the movie was brilliant. Sorry experts, you are Wrong. Expand
  2. Sep 17, 2010
    As a comedy, this movie doesn't really work, but as a rather dark gangster drama with some funny bits thrown in, Harlem Nights is a film that was well ahead of its time. If it were made today, it may of had a different reception. The ending could have been stronger, but I enjoyed the film and see it as a precursor to the type of style adopted by films like Pulp Fiction and shows like The Sopranos.

Overwhelming dislike - based on 14 Critics

People may go to see Eddie Murphy once, twice, three or even six times in disposable movies like Harlem Nights, but if he wants to realize his potential he needs to work with a better writer and director than himself.
  2. Harlem Nights is not the disaster some people might have been expecting. Mr. Murphy has appeared in far worse films written and directed by people much more experienced.
  3. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    This blatantly excessive directorial debut for Eddie Murphy is overdone, too rarely funny and, worst of all, boring.