6.6

1. Nov 14, 2010
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is the second out of the eight films, but this and the first would be the only ones that actually makes sense and do not feel jumpy. Someone who has read all the novels would have no problem decyphering the other Harry Potter movies, but this is one of the few that will be easy to follow even by non-Harry Potter fans. It may not be a completely enjoyable film, but this is because it is aimed a slightely younger and less age-ranged target audience. Still, it will keep you interested from beginning to end, and don't forget it has Dobby! Expand
  2. Sep 23, 2011
    The movie isn't what you expect if you waited for a another marvelous Harry Potter film. However, it still has impressive visuals and and well made CGI creature...DOBY!!!!
  3. Apr 16, 2011
    Well written, wonderfully cast, and flawlessly flowing, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets offers suspenseful thrills, honest emotion, and an obvious respect for JK Rowling's masterpiece.
  4. Dec 17, 2011
    With it being even longer, and lacks some adventure, the film has good performances, thrills and a strong story making it somewhat an improvement and somewhat not. I give this film an 82% of a good movie.
  5. Dec 2, 2011
    To be honest, I loved the first hour or so of the film but once it started getting into the whole situation of the Chamber of Secrets being opened - The film took a turn for the worst and it went from a great film to another corny and childish and pretty generic "hero saves the day" film. The acting is still solid but can be a little lacking at times from the younger cast members, Once again they fail to use the experianced older cast members to their full potential.

It was slightly better then the first film but not by much.
  6. Aug 16, 2010
    The only thing that this film improved on the first one was the Quidditch match. After that, this film was rather mediocre, especially near the end. This film just drags and drags and drags until you're begging for the predictable ending to happen. "Chamber of Secrets" is arguably my least favorite HP book, and it's arguably my least favorite film of the series as well. There just wasn't enough material there to keep one entertained for two hours. Expand
  7. Feb 28, 2011
    While it's not my favorite Harry Potter movie (that honor goes to "Order of the Phoenix"), seriously, what's with the low user score? It was just as good as the first one, and better then the third and sixth ones!
  8. Jul 5, 2011
    This second installment continues the adventures of Harry Potter as he and his friends discover that the hogwarts students are being attacked by a deadly snake known as the Basilisk and must solve the mystery that lies within a chamber known as the Chamber of Secrets. Little does Harry know that a shocking secret that will reveal the dark lord who killed his parents.

I saw it twice in
    theaters perhaps at the exact same year it came out and I have no time to waste, so let's get on to my opinion.

The CGI effects were pretty cool and the fantasy action was intense.

The storyline followed the book as it should be and it succeeded.

The actors have done well at their performances once again. Kenneth Branagh was entertaining as Professor Lockhart and was very funny, Daniel Radcliffe did well as Harry Potter once again, and the rest of the actors did very well at their performances, etc. etc. etc.

There's nothing negative to say about it, so I'm all set.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is a successful sequel and its as good as the previous installment.

9. Nov 22, 2010
    As Harry attends his second year at Hogwarts, dark forces are at work. This dark intensity drives the entire movie, and Harry acknowledges that Voldemort and himself have a dark relationship. He knows that the Dark Lord wants to kill Harry. More secrets are unveiled as Harry tries to unlock the mystery of the chamber of secrets. The film matures slightly from the cute and frendlier 1st installment, and this deserves better ratings because there are more thrilling action sequences, which makes the film more intriguing. As I am watching, the film gets better and better with the final 40 minutes becoming the peak out of the entire movie. The ending has left me with a slight sadness, feeling sorry for Harry and what he has to go through, but I soon am thirsting for more. The character Gilderoy Lockhart I have a major issue with, mainly because it doesn't make the film as comforting as I would like it, but better directed and produced than the first. Expand
  10. Aug 9, 2011
    This second installment is on the same level on the first one, also containing a few highlights of entertainment like Aragog and Kenneth Branagh as Gilderoy Lockhart
  11. Jan 28, 2012
    The first hour (hour and a half max) of this film was amazing and it gave me high hopes but the moment the film got to the part where Harry finds out he is a parselmouth then it just got terrible and turned into a generic action film that completely ruined the first really enjoyable hour of the film.
  12. Nov 8, 2012
    Somehow, this sequel manages to be even more magical than its predecessor. It unleashes a string of brand new ideas and invents some marvelous new characters. The is a film no true movie lover is going to want to miss.
  13. Aug 21, 2010
    The is the best of the Harry Potter movies by far. It follows the book extremely well, the setting and scenery feels really authentic and the story flows along and is exciting and a great adventure. It really captured the mood, tone, and visualization of the book well. Plus the music was by John Williams which they are really lacking with the new Harry Potter movies.
  14. Dec 2, 2010
    While it isn't as good as the other Potter films, Chamber of Secrets does not go without its charm, suspense and magical moments. Potter fans will eat it up, others will wonder how it went from superb to fairly average given the previous material.
  15. Nov 26, 2011
    The first hour of the film was amazing but as soon as they got into the parts with the actual Chamber Of Secrets, The film just went all downhill from there. The cast was solid and I was disapointed by the lack of use of the older and experianced cast members. It was ok overall.
  16. Mar 19, 2011
    While the Chamber of Secrets isn't as good as the first but it's still a great movie, and if your a fan of the first movie and like the books you should like this one.
  17. Sep 30, 2012
    Chamber of Secrets is an excellent second outing in the Harry Potter franchise. Whilst still some distance away from Potter's best efforts (Goblet of Fire & Order of the Phoenix), this one improves upon the original and adds a whole bunch of memorable sequences. And you can't beat Kenneth Brannagh... He's just awesome!
  18. Jan 13, 2011
    This is all nonsense. I enjoyed the film every time I watched it. It isn't the best film, but the best Harry Potter film to date. (Not including Deathly Hallows, haven't watched it yet)
  19. Jul 11, 2011
    Although is my least favorite Harry Potter film, this doesn't mean it's a bad movie. The visuals are still stellar and the performances are well executed. My only problem is how some plot elements were left out, after all this is the longest film of the whole series. Aside from that, there is really nothing awful since the plot is really easy to follow. This is still an absolute delight in the Harry Potter film series. Expand
  20. May 29, 2011
    Chris Columbus has pledged to make adjustments faithful to the books, and succeeded. Reading the book makes us see the movie the way it is. But adaptation of the second was very long, less than the first child, and to me that climate was not "magic" and the incredible first. It is very good, very faithful to the book, shows the beginning of the ripening of the series (even very lightly). When you take the second and sixth films, see how the saga changed the face. And he feels a twinge of nostalgia. However, is by far the weakest of the series. And the problem is the same as in Stone, the script, that's so true to the book it becomes extremely tedious as the movie. And what makes it weaker than the first is that the magic in this direction from Columbus disappears almost completely. The film continues with good performances and great junior adults. Again a beautiful soundtrack Williams, and the effects a little better over the first. Expand
  21. Jul 4, 2011
    There is no doubt in my mind that Columbus does better with the second film. The story line for the second film just isn't as good and because of that at times a felt bored. Still an amazing film itself, it's just sad that it will have to forever be compared to the others.
  22. Jun 18, 2011
    Although not near the best in the Potter series, Chamber of Secrets is still a good film, almost equal to it's predecessor. The lead actors come into their own more so here, and the supporting cast is as good as always. The score continues to amaze, and the direction becomes a whole lot better in this movie. It becomes darker and sleeker, things we see in latter, better installments. The visual effects, especially concerning Dobby are delightful. The main problem is the length. It is quite a long movie, at nearly 3 hours. This can be an especially long wait if you have seen the superior future installments, and even more so if you are not a fan of the book series. But, criticisms aside, Chamber of Secrets is still a very good film. If you are a fan of the other films, or the books, see it, and maybe even if you aren't, still see this film. Expand
  23. Jul 12, 2011
    This film is good in expanding the world of Hogwarts and introducing entertaining new characters as well as new settings. The sense of fun and magic is never lost but I must say that it does feel a tad overlong and like the first one doesn't always flow perfectly. However, the plot keeps us engaged as well as our 3 leads and the other actors portraying the teachers. Hogwarts is such a detailed, mysterious place that I didn't mind being stuck in it even if some scenes could have definitely been cut. Also the ending is a bit too much on the emotional side and with no real substance behind it. In the end though it is a very entertaining film. Expand
  24. Jul 20, 2011
    Rather long, with questionable acting from the young cast and a somewhat overfaithful screenplay, this film is still enjoyable with a good climax, great effects, some dazzling performances, beautiful sets - and plenty of magic.
  25. CRL
    Jul 27, 2011
    This was the second book/movie of the Harry Potter series, and even though some important backstories are delved into, it also comes across as one of the most forgettable. However that by no means makes it a bad movie. This was where Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson started to become great actors, and the directing from Chris Columbus is among the best in the series. The storyline is well-represented from the book (something only Columbus and Cuaron managed to do), and the special effects are extremely good for a movie released in 2002. Expand
  26. Oct 11, 2011
    Even though it is one of my favorites within the series, I would cut 30 minutes out of it easily. Columbus tries too hard put every part of the book on the movie and ends up ruining what could be a thrilling film.
  27. Nov 6, 2011
    This one is more darker and complex than Sorcerer's Stone, thus the story and it's characters progress in a much more compelling and interesting way. The youngsters acting has improved since the first film. Some moments really advanced the plot of the story and gave helpful information, but they just felt a little too unconvincing and not really believable. For example: the talking spider Aragog. 3/4 stars. Expand
  28. Nov 13, 2011
    This Harry Potter film lives up to the original with a darker story and more exciting action. This film helped character development for most of the series.
  29. Jul 12, 2013
    Twice as spellbinding and twice as magical as the first, but a side-swipe story has left the Chamber of Secrets as one of the weaker entries in the massive franchise, this aside, Harry and his companions return in fine form for more secrets to unfold from the magical castle of Hogwarts.
    Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson all reprise their roles as Harry, Ron and Hermione
    respectively, and its remarkable how quickly these actors grow up, their tasks at Hogwarts also reflect their growth, they must deal with fame, lies and of course, magical happenings. When several students become petrified, as case of paralysis where the subject is frozen still without an immediate cure, Harry and his friends find themselves at the centre of it all again, more so for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Of course there is still fun to be had, with Qudditch returning and looking better than ever, and of course the comedic tone remains on par, especially with addition of Kenneth Branagh as Professor Lockhart, a man who isn't everything he seems, we are also introduced to Dobby, a house elf who is out to help Harry in any way possible, but seemingly gets in the way at every turn.
    Its clear from the beginning that the tone has shifted slightly darker from the debut entry, with equally as many thrills to be had and some spectacular set-pieces equate to quite the blockbuster film, but much of the cast feels underused, understandably its difficult to adapt a book into a two hour film but I feel some scenes could have been shortened to make way for the excellent cast, like the returning Maggie Smith, Richard Harris, in his last film as Albus Dumbledore after passing away, and of course the sublime Alan Rickman.
    Watching the film back, it does feel like a go-between, and while much more of the essence of the books is explored, it isn't one of the better entries in the films, it lacks the punch of fantasy that the others possess, and ultimately falls behind the rest.
    But moaning aside, this is still a deserved entry in the series, it continues to amaze and carry the lives of our unlikely heroes, brimming with excitement, touches of horror and emotion, but turning into a darker path which suits the story it is telling. But the film is truly made again with the glorious cast who portray their characters with pride to the books but also to suit their own methods. Not the best, but certainly worth the watch.
  30. Nov 22, 2011
    This is a magnificent sequel to a magnificent start. This movie continues to follow the story of a young wizard and it matches the book point blank. UNDERRATTED!!
  31. Dec 30, 2012
    This movie, like the first, was very well done. Also like the first one, there were some major and minor differences; however, not all of these seemed to work as well. Obviously it's impossible to include every aspect but there were some things that I think they could've/should've done differently. The most glaring example is how they butchered the ending of the movie. That didn't happen even remotely that way in the book. They made the Harry Potter character look kind of dumb with the way he reacted in the chamber whereas in the book, the things that happened weren't necessarily in his control and he had to react in certain ways in order to survive. Also, they cut out quite a bit of the process Harry, Ron, and Hermione took in discovering the secret. Still, they ultimately got the gist of the book and didn't really leave out anything too major. The acting of the students was drastically improved so the movie flowed smoother. I just thought they could've done a much better job with the book-to-movie adaptation of the ending. Expand
  32. May 7, 2013
    My adventure into the world of Harry Potter continues with the Chamber of Secrets. While I enjoyed the film, I didn't think it was as good as the Sorcerer's Stone, as typical of most sequels. In the Chamber of Secrets, we see Harry return for his second year at the Hogwart's School of Wizardery. In year two, students are being attacked, and Dumbledorf knows why. The legendary Chamber of Secrets has been open and a mythological creatures has been released. Harry and his friends have to find out who opened it and why before they are able to do anything about it. This story wasn't as mysterious or edge of your seat as the last adventure was, and I found some parts of it to be downright childish. What I enjoyed about the first film was that for all it has for kids, it had an equal amount of content that adults would enjoy. In the Chamber of Secrets, that element has been replaced with things like giant talking spiders, flying cars, and worst of all Dobby the troll. The story was pretty good, but it wasn't as refreshing as the last film, the cast was once again terrific, but the Chamber of Secrets seemed to be much more like a kids movie to me and for that reason was kind of a disappointment. Expand
  33. Dec 28, 2011
    Almost as much a triumph as the first adaptation, Chamber of Secrets suffers slightly from some awkwardly-placed dialogue. But this doesn't significantly detract from the viewing experience, and its climax is among the best seen in any Harry Potter film.
  34. Jan 24, 2012
    Hands down the weakest in the series, which considering it was still good, that could be a point in the series favor overall.

The story isn't as good as the latter or the later, but the acting has improved, and the main NEW character Doby is a good addition to the movie (and overall series). Without comparing it to the book (something that should never be done, because you should judge a
    movie on its own merits, not by a book it was based on), this is a good sequel to the first, and although it won't leave you completely spellbinded, it is still a magical experience. Expand
  35. Mar 28, 2012
    Uff, difficult. The movie is good, but is the worst movie of Potter, the only good is Doby, and the big Snake, but the rest is same, boring, I think that the movie can be better, because the book is amazing.
  36. Aug 25, 2014
    Even darker, more enchanting than its predecessor, the Chamber of Secrets is easily just as intoxicating, if not more. Well-written and filled with notable visuals.
  37. Mar 25, 2012
    The Chamber of Secrets is a very good film. Still just a magical as The Sorcerer's Stone. The movie stuck true to the book. Which is key to keeping the series going well.
  38. Jun 9, 2013
    This is wonderfully exciting and adventurous. Watching it the first time was great and it still remains that way. This movie still evokes what I think Rowling was trying to achieve, and how it should be carried out.
  39. Aug 14, 2012
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was a hard to put down read, just like the first. But the film has not translated well. The film gets too in over its head with special effects and loses the magic that the original film had. Not to mention cutting out large parts of the book that were quite important and leaving non important things in making the film far too long for its own good.
  40. May 4, 2012
    It was the Harry Potter I loved when I was younger, but i'm older and cruller then I was 6 years ago. So a good movie overall and still is enjoyable for me to watch. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 7.5/10
  41. Nov 1, 2013
    "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" is an excellent sequel to the fabulous original. It's more darker and livelier than its predecessor, and just like the first one, Director Chris Columbus unfolds the film exactly as it is written in the book. That could be both the film's strengths and weaknesses.
  42. Jul 5, 2012
    A classic plainly and simply. Worth it just for the soundtrack, then worth it again for the movie itself! Fantastic British cast, perfect casting and a great story from a great book.
  43. Jul 12, 2012
    My least favorite of the Harry Potter films, but in no way does that make it a bad film. Its considerably darker than the first film, but under Columbus' direction that isn't necessarily a good thing. Still, great entry in the Harry Potter franchise. Keep up the good work!
  44. Jul 18, 2012
    Chamber of Secrets ta great to the script was a little large for so small a book, but the film improves in several aspects, performance, visual effects, soundtrack, too much makeup and the adult cast is AWESOME.
  45. Jan 3, 2013
    I saw this at a friend's house along with the first Harry Potter movie after it was released on video. This movie just bored me to death. I don't see what all the hype is about. Maybe you had to read the book, my friends who have read the book tell me that the book is way better than the movie. Rating it as a bad movie since it was so boring that I don't even remember any of it. After seeing the first two movies, I never bothered seeing any others since I was so bored by the first two. Expand
  46. Nov 10, 2012
    This film hints what later Potter films will be like, but like the last one it feels to childish. It's hard to shake that feeling. This is a solid Potter film and it is still feels magical. There's a feeling of excitement to see these characters older.
  47. Dec 21, 2012
    Same as the first only this time the acting dropped. I thought Tom Riddle and Daniel Radcliffe did a poor job, and special effects fell apart. Plus it tryed to add a darker tone but instead it felt lighter to me. However the movie was good for it's humorous car scenes and Ron's pathetic yet extremely amusing reaction to spiders.
  48. May 18, 2013
    Harry potter gets better and better, and for this installment was not too bad, yet not too good. If you like most of the Potter flicks this one won't glue you to your seat. Its still fun though

Next Movie!
  49. May 10, 2013
    Amazing with new ideas and glorious adventures, an amazing piece of art as the first one, more magical and more dangerous! But more for kids
  50. Apr 14, 2013
    This is easily one of the best films in the franchise. It is every bit as good as the first one but maybe even a little better. From start to finish, it's an incredible experience. In my opinion it should have been rated PG-13.
  51. Mar 23, 2013
    Perfect story, great emotions and for sure the best Harry Potter movie! As i said in my review of "Sorcerers's stone", if you like mysteries and fantasy and you haven't watch a Harry Potter movie... then you should definitely watch the whole saga,because you missed a lot!
  52. Sep 8, 2013
    This movie does have its good qualities and its bad qualities. It has an interesting story and engaging conflict, but lacks in its dragging feel and easy loss of interest. Overall, while it's the movie's not horrible, it's the worst of the movies for sure. Be sure to check out my channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  53. Mar 15, 2014
  54. Jun 28, 2013
    Boring as hell. Painful to sit through this. My Lord, it is a good thing they changed directors even though they were just as horrible too. Read the books, not this poorly acted adaptation.
  55. Jun 14, 2013
    Chamber of Secrets is as amazing as the first, but with some details negativos.O film is too great, Steve Kloves once again made something true, but great. Effects much better than Sorcerer's Stone, both young cast, and the adult cast are ótimos.A soundtrack can not overcome the first film, but it's great with his touches parecidos.Harry Potter Product Family is a film a fun movie.
      I
    also have a slight impression that Warner wanted to give a darker Lord of the Rings Harry Potter, with the length of time. Expand
  56. Jun 24, 2013
    In a way, this sequel manages to be greater than its predecessor, but it fails, this is my least favorite Harry Potter movie, because it is way too long and gets lame, but still it is still magical and interesting.
  57. Jul 14, 2013
    While the story is getting darker, the film balances the light hearted moments with the dark. This film boasts of spectacular set designs, visual effects, direction, music (again John Williams is amazing) and acting. It improves upon the first film, while also keeping the classic feel of the first one while adding another feel to it and also staying extremely close to the book material.
  58. Oct 25, 2013
    Rather blunt in terms of plot, and although unpredictable, not much a shock when the twist is finally revealed. All in all, I can watch it a few times more
  59. Dec 1, 2013
    Yet again Columbus brings us a Harry Potter movie. He did really well on the first one, so I was excited to see the sequel. I wasn't let down. The acting improved over the last film, as have the CG.
  60. Nov 28, 2013
    the book 2 is best than book 1 the film 2 isn't best than the film 1,it is an nice movie but it didn't have the quality and the magic of the first film.
  61. Oct 24, 2013
    With an intriguing storyline and visually dazzling effects, 'the Chamber of Secrets' is one of the better earlier films in the franchise and stands out as one of the best films of the series.
  62. Nov 12, 2013
    Harry Potter once again mystifies.
    Although a noticeably weaker sequel, The Chamber of Secrets still entertains with a good script and elusive plot twists.
  63. May 4, 2014
    The effects and the score and wonderful but thats not enough to save this wizard this time. Chamber of secrets, like its book, is very dull and boring. Honestly Its hard to watch it the full way through and not fall asleep
  64. Aug 12, 2014
    A good film overall, fulfilling its promises. But there is nothing new that has not been seen in its predecessor, and features a less satisfying plot. Must watch to keep track of the series.

1. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    I can't think of a movie this long that has left me so starved for a movie.
  2. Chamber is chockablock with action (including a far more exciting game of Quidditch) and crafty special effects.
  3. Columbus never quite captures the depth, the rich complexities of Rowling's novels. She's written four Harry Potter books for kids that adults swoon for, too. Columbus has made two Harry Potter movies for kids … and we'll leave it at that. That isn't bad. But I suspect there's something better just around the bend.