7.5

1. Nov 19, 2010
    By far the best film of the franchise, and the darkest in tone. Long gone is the light, cheerful score of John Williams, being replaced by Alexandre Desplat's haunting adult, haunting score. Basically all the characters and the spells has been layed out in the six previous movies and The Deathly Hallows straight away picks up where it left off in The Half-Blood Prince. To be honest, when I heard that the movie was going to be two and a half hours I was really worried that it'll drag on and on, but not suprisingly David Yates proved me wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it didn't feel like 147 minutes at all. It's definitely a stand-out than all the other Potter films as there's no Hogwarts in sight. The sense of security the trio had before inside the four walls of Hogwarts and under the watchful eye of Dumbledore has been torn down. Instead, they have to face "the real world". Being hunted down like fugitives and the feeling of anxiety that anyone can pop up anywhere, and if they're not alert, they're done for. It definitely takes it's toll on all of them. My favorite scene was one that wasn't in the book, after Ron stormed off, Harry and Hermione were dancing to Nick Cave's O' Children. All the gloominess was slightly and briefly lifted by a few of the lighter bits of the movie, but basically it's all doom and gloom. The cinematography was absolutely brilliant, the best looking movie of the franchise, Exceptional acting by all three of them, a stand-out performance by Emma Watson. Part 1 ended with the death of a friend and a minor cliffhanger. What a way to kick-off the long emotional inevitable goodbye and I trust David Yates to knock it out of the park on July 2011. Bring it on. Expand
  2. Nov 19, 2010
    I am the first one who write the review, because at this time (GMT +7), a lot of people in my country INDONESIA (Bali & Java is in INDONESIA), have already watched the International Release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I. This movie is fantastic, phenomenal and thank god, this movie not using (converted) 3D. I am a true fans, so my score (10) is reasonable enough. Recommended ! because this is the final chapter of Harry Potter and friends Saga, I will miss the characters and I 'm looking forward to see Part 2 next year. Expand
  3. Nov 19, 2010
    Un-be-lie-va-ble. This'll easily remain in my top 10 of the best movies of the year. Easily. Every single thing about this was just...perfection. The ensemble, Yates's direction, Serra's cinematography, Craig's production design: A+'s all 'round. Keep watch for one of the most memorable scenes of 2010 in an exquisite chase that's sans any musical soundtrack. The editing is just on. point.

Oh, and while I'm at it: I'm currently putting it in the running for a Best Picture nod. When it inevitably makes 50 bajillion dollars at the b.o., audiences & technical guilds eat it up, and reviews are at the very, infinitesimal least "positive," it'll be on the Academy's radar.

I mean, The Blind Side did it.
  4. Nov 19, 2010
    Fans will love this film. It's action packed and very emotional, and is the perfect appetiser for Part 2. Non-fans may be confused, but it's so well filmed that it should be appreciated nonetheless.
  5. Nov 19, 2010
    This one is quite easily the best of the Harry Potter movies. I think they really nailed it with this one. The acting was right at oscar worthy, the cinematography was spellbinding, the music was great, they really got the mood of the book right, that nowhere was safe and they couldn't trust anyone. Now I am uber excited for Part 2.
  6. Nov 19, 2010
    As a massive fan of the books, I always look upon the films as a chance to see J.K. Rowling's characters and universe come to life. The films are by no means perfect, but in comparison to all other films in the fantasy genre (LOTR not withstanding) they are truly entertaining and visually inventive. This latest adaptation is no exception - funny, thrilling, beautiful and touching - I eagerly await part 2. Expand
  7. Dec 17, 2011
    Heartwarming, emotionally depth, and visually appealing, this is greatly positioning the second part to be a fantastic film. Definitely one of the best of the Potters. Ha they all are great. I give this film 93% of a good movie.
  8. Nov 19, 2010
    This is a beautiful movie, and I enjoyed the vast majority of it. The complaints about the camping scenes (in the book and movie) mean nothing to me, as I loved them. The only thing I did not like about the movie is how unfinished it is. The ending was so bad that I like the movie considerably less because of it.
  9. Nov 20, 2010
    Honestly, the movie went farther than I expected. While there really was no actual climax, it's kinda expected by David Yates. I think they should have shown more of Harry pondering over Dumbledore than just the two five second periods they gave him.
  10. Nov 19, 2010
    Arguably the best of the series, this penultimate instalment of the Harry Potter saga is dark, exciting and adventurous, and despite the verbose and somewhat confusing expository scenes, they will surely make for a continuation youâ
  11. Nov 22, 2010
    As long as Rowling's books capture mainstream culture, the Potter films will always be judged by a different set of criteria than other movies. Though undeniably derivative of the novels, the film series by now has developed into another pole of imagination, between which the fuller landscape of the Harry Potter universe has been stretched from--even as it shapes--the books themselves. Large portions of the last three books feel as if Rowling was writing with cinematic consciousness. In this sense, each new movie is judged by the way it shapes the imaginative realm in which an astonishing amount of human beings live. How does Deathly Hallows impact this cultural world? It evolves it considerably. Even more than Rowling's book, this movie shifts tone (not just scenery), matures themes, and simply expects more from all its players. The result is a movie that startles in its distinctive approach, most notably its willingness to visit extremes of loneliness and chaotic terror from scene-to-scene. It's not an easy movie, but it's by far Yates' best addition to the franchise and improves on Rowling in many ways. For those who criticize its financially beneficial half-ing, it must be said that, if anything, the movie suffers from being too concentrated--especially for the first hour--rather than being too drawn out. As a reference point, only Azkaban deserves (and probably slightly eclipses) placement in the same realm of filmaking quality. The Deathly Hallows is a moving experience in more ways than one; those who are disappointed probably simply need time to catch up with how far this movie has advanced the imaginative world our real world has inhabited for a comfortable decade. Expand
  12. Nov 21, 2010
    One of the best movies of this year, and one of the best movies of de fanchise. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows have action, good actors, good soundtrack and perfect effects. The movies is not good as the book, but is awesome.
  13. Nov 19, 2010
    This movie Excels in every sense: Acting, Plot, Adaptation, Visual and Special Effects. Best HP Sequel to Date! Go see it yourself. Don't let others tell you what to think!
  14. Nov 20, 2010
    It's not maybe the most remarkable movie of the year but it's fun and truly entertaining one. Despite, the hole world's belief that the movie is just a try for more money and that the movie will not be able to stand alone, I think that this one proved that everyone of us was wrong. The acting from the trio was truly mind-blowing, all of the three have proved that they grown up to be more than great actors and even better than some aged ones. The tone of the movie was a lot "brighter" than usual but my conclusion is that the movie was more entertaining than expected and it greatly prepares the viewer for the grand finale. Expand
  15. Nov 20, 2010
    As someone who was really disappointed with the movie version of The Half-Blood Prince, I was wondering whether this movie would go down the same path. Thankfully, it hasn't, and instead, is now one of my three favorite Harry Potter movies (the others being Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix). All I can say is, the magic is back with this movie! Can't wait for Part 2!
  16. Nov 22, 2010
    Definitely the best Harry Potter film so far. I'm really disappointed that the other films weren't this accurate to the book. The Half-Blood Prince totally destroyed the original story, which they are paying for now, because fans that have never read the books are like "I don't get what's happening" in places. If you've read the book's this is the Harry Potter film we've been waiting for, it captures the book's atmosphere and the character's feelings really well. I can see alot of negative reviews from people who have never read the books, which is a shame. I think the film automatically made more sense to me because I've read the books, and because the story is so close to the books my mind sort of just automatically linked the missing things. Expand
  17. Nov 19, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know what "DearDear" is thinking. This movie was amazing. It's been a while since I've seen the first six, so I can't say it's the best in the series, but it's got to be right up there.
    The first scene, where Hermione has to modify her parents' memories was actually shown, while it is just mentioned in the book. It really shows how dedicated Hermione is to this cause. The chase scene with the 7 Harry's was chaotic and hard to follow, but that's how it was described in the book. A particularly cool moment followed when Hagrid looped the loop in the tunnel. I couldn't stop smiling. Mad-Eye Moody's death was barely mentioned. Nobody really shed a tear about it, and I was disappointed by how little they spent on it. Bill and Fleur's wedding was supposed to be a happy moment in the darkness (until Kingsley's patronus shows up,) but in this movie even that seemed a bit dark, due to sound effects. Nearly nobody was smiling.
    The movie had some funny parts to break the tension, but mostly the tone is dark. I'd say even too dark. But I still loved the crap out of this movie, and can't wait until July to see part 2!
  18. Jul 5, 2011
    Harry, Ron, and Hermione leave their homes to find and destroy the horcruxes as they are being hunted by Voldemort and his dark forces while reuniting with old friends and allies before they realize that their friendship is being torn apart and must stay close together as ever. Caught the screening of this in November six days after it came out and enjoyed it. Now for my opinion. I am really entralled at how brilliant this installment is. The storyline was well-paced it tried everything it can to get to the cliff hanger, the acting was brilliant, the fantasy action was dark, yet very amazing, and the soundtrack from Alexandre Desplat (The Golden Compass, The Twilight Saga: New Moon) was epic and very emotional. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is a satisfying epic entry of the series and will be concluded with part 2 in only 10 more days left.

19. Nov 21, 2010
    This movie was great, thrilling (especially if you do not know what is coming) and emotional.
    I do not understand how ANY Harry Potter fan could be disappointed with this movie. Nonetheless there are still a minority sooking and complaining about stupid little things. The fans of the books finally got what they want; the perfect adaption yet there are still fools having a whinge.

Maybe
    it is just the fact that people imagine the books different when they are reading , expect too much from the movie and then simply cannot like them.

Emma Watson steals the show and bloody hell she has gotten very very attractive. She is especially good at the malfoys her screams are very believable and will give you chills.
    It is action packed with death eater attacks and threats every 10 or 15 minutes giving the sense that danger never alludes the trio. The movie is also emotional especially the opening when Hermione is erasing her parents memories. The ending is also saddening. I would say one of the best in the series but i would not recomend it to anyone with no harry potter knowledge. It would be impossible to follow.
  20. Mar 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As Harry races against time and evil to destroy the Horcruxes, he uncovers the existence of three most powerful objects in the wizarding world: the Deathly Hallows. Expand
  21. Jun 19, 2011
    This film is perfect , it gives a feeling of the calm before the struggle, the characters are fighting for themselves to survive against the difficulties. Every calm scene, the beautiful locations, the action, everything is fueled by an huge emotional scale. I personally enjoyed the film because it turns to be more adult, with more intricate and challenging conflicts for the characters. It's a perfect 10 to David Yates. Expand
  22. Apr 11, 2011
    This was my favorite out of all the Harry Potter movies so far and the best movie in 2010 in my opinion. I saw this one twice. Once at a midnight premiere, aka, thursday night/friday morning and i saw it again a couple weeks after. This movie has it all. I really like the actors and I'm glad that they chose to split the movie into two parts.
  23. CRL
    Jul 28, 2011
    Part I is the best since Azkaban, and shows how great David Yates can be when he's paying attention to the source material instead of doing his own thing. Atmospheric and amazingly detailed, Part I paints the new and oppressive version of the wizarding world with almost macabre beauty, and some of the series' best acting creates one of the most immersive films I've ever seen. Part I doesn't skimp on the emotion either, and sometimes it even delivers a laugh or two. Also, the cinematography was some of the best of the series, and I still can't figure out why it missed out on an Oscar. In the end, the only thing that let Part I down was lack of an ending, but even that doesn't take away from its greatness. Expand
  24. Sep 4, 2011
    I get the feeling this entire film was made to give the screen time that Harry, Ron, and Hermione deserve with one another. It is one of the darkest and most emotional films in the series and really does a great job leading up to the conclusion. It is beautifully filmed and acted and happens to be very faithful to the novel. My only warning is that if you've never read any of the novels, the film will be hard to understand at some points. If you haven't read the book, do so. It tells the story better than any movie ever could. Expand
  25. Nov 16, 2011
    The movie was even more amazing if you had read the book. Absolutely stunning. Although there wasn't a lot of action in Part 1 of the Deathly Hallows, it was still a movie worth watching - well, obviously, otherwise you wouldn't have a clue of what's going on in Part 2. The entire Harry Potter saga is one of my all-time favorites.
  26. Aug 14, 2012
    Harry Potter is back and better than ever. The war has consumed all and it hasn't even got going yet. The story to Deathly Hallows is the darkest and most unforgiving of all the Harry Potter stories making it one of the best as it never holds back. Most of Part I is the trio running and hiding from the dark lord Voldemort but it really brings it close to home, makes it human once again and really fleshes out who the characters really are. Deathly Hallows Part 1 may not be an action heavy film but it is more than absolutely needed. Expand
  27. Nov 26, 2010
    Part 1 of Deathly Hallows is a total Potter package. Fans will love the enthralling score, enchanting visuals and impeccable story-telling. It's refreshing to get a great flick in the theater, and one that has no 3D support at all. The directors knew they didn't need three-dimensional pops to make a magical night at the movies, and I was amazed how well the overall package turned out.
  28. Dec 6, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Guauuu ... a very complete movie with a great script and a fantastic interpretation and fantastic special effects ... very advisable. It does not have 10 for my part for lack of action .. but equally harry's sixth movie is for already very well. Very advisable they do not lose it. Expand
  29. Dec 4, 2010
    After spending 6 movies of keeping the film within the same boundaries over and over, this prelude delivers slick animation, plot exploration, and war-like action that all give the audience the sensation of stretching your spine after getting out of bed.
  30. Dec 5, 2010
    Really enjoyed this chapter of the Harry Potter series. Superbly made and beautifully shot, this is a film for adults and older children alike, though you would be very confused if you haven't followed the books closely. Skantea, you are clearly far more intelligent and mature than the vast majority of people who watch this film. I applaud you for taking the time out to alert us all to this fact.
  31. Jul 13, 2011
    Saw this a few hours ago, and i loved it. i am not a die hard fan im just a guy who thinks its really good. i love how the series just gets darker yet is still funny at times and entertaining. effects were really good and i love voldermorts character! -1 point cause it can always be better and for the **** that wouldnt shutup in the theatre.
  32. Dec 24, 2010
    I think the only way to enjoy this, or any of the Harry Potter films is leave the book at the door when you enter the theater. As a huge fan of the books, that only seems to limit the enjoyment you get out of each and every film. If you are able to do that, you will notice that the Potter films are a huge amount of fun, mixed with a great cast of actors (the minor characters, played by classic British thespians are always the best. This film is probably the biggest departure from the rest of the series, and does a good job at creating a world that is so palpable and magical. You would think leaving Hogwarts would be a problem for the filmmakers, but I think the film thrives outside of Hogwarts doors. As always, it is probably one of the best times you could have at the movies, and delivers on all levels. Expand
  33. Dec 15, 2010
    This is how you do a Harry Potter film. After being completely disappointed by the mess that is Half-Blood Prince, the first part of the Harry Potter finale is a must see. Its more carefully paced, more well acted and its as dark as it can be. This film will completely make you wait in agony for the second part. It's that good.
  34. Dec 7, 2010
    this one really kept to the book and i like that. actually made me feel like i was reading the book again XD. overall i really enjoyed this movie, and i cant wait to see part 2.
  35. Nov 27, 2010
    If you read the book, you will appreciate the attempt made to include as much as possible from the source material. The only problem isn't this movies fault, prior books did not do a worthy job of establishing the mythology. Many of the movies before it were too short for their own good and had to pass over the history and culture of the wizard world. So while some characters seem like a convenient filler for a plot hole, people who read the book will be thrilled to see all the little things that made them cherish the book included. I think its the best one so far, even if it is a little slow. But the slowness pays dividends as it makes the more tense scenes all the more nail biting. July is a long time to wait though, for what is sure to be the most thrilling Harry Potter yet. Expand
  36. Nov 30, 2010
    This is unlike any previous HP movie. If you have not see the others, I don't recommend this as your first. That said, the emotional depth and character defining moments in this movie make this more than just your standard adventure flick. This movie is much less about wand waving, special affects with a dash of humor. There is some of that, but it is about the isolation, angst and cost of persevering in doing what is right, when it seems that everyone has deserted you. It left me feeling depressed, which is exactly how I expect the characters feel. I am hoping for a triumphant ending this summer. Expand
  37. Jul 12, 2011
    Very well done. Although, they seemed to drag on in certain parts almost as an excuse to make a "part 2". But altogether, this movie is probably one of the closest adaptions of the book in the whole series. I can't wait for Part 2!!
  38. Dec 25, 2010
    By far the best film in the series to date. They did the one thing I wish was evident in ALL of the Harry Potter movies: they took the risk of taking their time to explain the storyline, and to give the characters time to develop, instead of everything happening within days of each other. The traveling scenes, the vast landscapes, really touched me; they separated the three teenage wizards from the world, as they were in the books. I also love the Three Brothers sequence; one of the coolest things I've scene in the Harry Potter movies. Why people say this movie wasn't good is in no way apparent to me; it was incredible. Yeah, a little slow, but that's the point: to build the feeling of isolation and loneliness, to distance the audience from the rest of the wizarding world, and focus on the three main characters and their own personal challenges. CANNOT wait until the last movie! Expand
  39. Nov 19, 2010
    Harry Potter, like most film or book franchises has it's own rabid fan base. The people who will go to see Deathly Hallows are people that have fallen in love with the series as a whole. David Yates and company have made a film for the fans and it is beautiful. If you have spent the last over a decade invested in the story that is Harry Potter. If you have read every book and seen every movie again and again because you can't get enough then you will love this film. If you have never jumped on the bandwagon that is Harry Potter and never considered yourself a fan then quite honestly, you will never understand. Anyone who has read the book knows that it is full of bleakness and raw emotion. It's the kind of book that can ruin your day after reading a few chapters and this is pulled off perfectly on screen. The film pulls on your heartstrings and plays with your nostalgic mind the entire way through. The battle between good and evil has truly reached it's highpoint and you can actually feel the character's struggles while watching these events unfold. The acting from this veteran cast is, as expected, superb. The music matches the mood perfectly. The slower scenes in the movie are in some way just as tense as the action scenes and that is a very big compliment. So what you have is a movie that was made for a very loyal fan base and as a fan I can say that we got exactly what we wanted. And just to address the point that this film feels unfinished, that would be because it is. And when Part 2 hits us next summer i'm sure we will be just as happy with the conclusion. Expand
  40. Nov 22, 2010
    This movie is pretty fantastic. It might just be the greatest Potter film yet. It's very well-made, with great acting, cinematography and incredibly creative touches throughout. Of course, it feels like reading half of a book, but never have 2 1/2 hours rushed by so fast. Bring on part 2 now!
  41. Nov 21, 2010
    If your a Harry Potter fan, your gonna like this movie ! If not, you will hate it. Of course, there's a lot of details from the book (for those who had read the books) that weren't in the movie. But the main parts from the story where their, which is good. The drama between the characters was perfect. For those you give a bad review of this movie is that they only saw the movies and had never read the books. I recommend to read the books before seeing the movie, because you will understand even better the film and sometimes, the books give more information. I tough it was a great film. Expand
  42. May 18, 2011
    My favourite film of last year and arguable the best in the franchise while the film is essentially a fetch quest David Yates and the rest of his crew turn it in to a wonderful movie which visits tonnes of beautiful locations within great Britain the acting is phenomenal the actors have matured greatly in the 10 years and so have there acting abilities.

This one is worth anybody's money
    buy the Blu-Ray and enjoy the magic over and over again. Because you will definitely want to after you've watched the movie once.

Deathly Hallows part 2 will be a fantastic finale and I can't wait to see it!
  43. Nov 19, 2010
    You will hate this film or love it. As you can tell by the giant 10 I loved it. The movie is long and emotional, though there is not as much action as there is dramatic exposition when the action is done it is by far the best in the series. It is certainly dark but I loved this because the first parts of the book were extremely dark as well, though this might through a few people off. Yates filmmaking is beautiful and even when the three are just sitting there it's a joy to look at. This is a great movie for those who want to enjoy it, please don't listen to those who say it's boring in the middle, they just don't understand the plot enough to be drawn in. This is first and foremost for people who have actually seen the previous movies, so if you haven't... why not? Expand
  44. Nov 19, 2010
    By far... it is the best movie of the harry potter so far. The story of harry potter has at last, reached its climax! The Boy who lived is going to risk his life....
  45. Nov 19, 2010
    This is a piece of genius. Nothing short. All the scenes in the movie looked exactly like they did while I was reading, or better. That's magic. Perfect blend of humor and tension. The parts left out, don't bring the movie down at all. Not a disappointment. Twilight joke=win
  46. Nov 19, 2010
    Finally we have a Harry Potter movie full of dark enviroments and situations like all we imagine in the books. This new Potter movie is a great mix of sentimental and tragic moments with Ron and Hermione relationship and with the fury and power of Lord Voldemort, in this part Harry, Ron and Hermione takes the lead in the movie, this is a movie of his adventures to find the Horrocruxs, nothing more nothing less, the exciting final part is coming (8 months) and i enjoy this part like no other in the series. The technical information like the score is awesome always adaptable according the situation of cou rce with the base of John Williams original score. The movie running time is nice (146 Min's) you are not going to be bored, Photography, Special Effects nice like always in the series. Not everything is perfect i miss some parts of the book but im pretty sure that this part is the best book-adaptation in the series, now we have to wait 8 months to see the epic final battle Potter vs Riddle Expand
  47. Nov 19, 2010
    A thrill ride from the very first scene. I laughed, I shed a tear; this is not a movie to miss, especially if you're a fan. For me, the disappointment from movies 5 and 6 were vindicated. This is it. This is the film us Muggles have been waiting for for a while now. Its here. Go see it!
  48. Nov 20, 2010
    It's about time that they decide to make a movie that stays true to the book. As a huge fan of Rowling's entire series, I absolutely loved this movie. I will admit it did feel dreary around the middle, but it was supposed to. It was a long and frustrating journey they embark on to find the Horcruxes. Cannot wait to see the thrilling conclusion in July.
  49. Nov 20, 2010
    considering the enormity of their task, the filmmakers did a fantastic job at adapting an massive book, all with an eye towards setting up the last 1/4 of the book. loved it.
  50. Nov 21, 2010
    I agree, best movie of the Franchise so far... I'ts exciting, and so like the book I'm a little sad because of Part II won't be available until the next year...
  51. Nov 23, 2010
    Absolutely brilliant. Firstly, I have to believe that the naysayers are probably self made HP cynics, which is fair enough, but this is the series that defined a generation and its influence still carries on; my own 7 year old brother is devouring the books at a frantic pace and watched the film with me. This film does that legacy immense justice. It completely outstrips the previous 2 or 3 films which were mediocre at best. The most faithful, well acted film in the series, the effects are also brilliant and the way the dark atmosphere is created and sustained is fantastic. This film has rekindled my love of the series. Go and watch it. Now. Expand
  52. Nov 24, 2010
    Don't look at the bad reviews, for real Harry Potter fans this is the movie of the year! And by far the best film in the franchise! Awesome action scenes, camera work & perfect acting!
  53. Nov 24, 2010
    So here we are at the beginning of the end. Speaking of the end I hated it: I wished part 2 came out next week. Ok, though I am a big fan of the books, I am very lenient (though not a pushover) when it comes to adaptations. This adaptation was the bomb. We're at a point in the series that if you haven't been following the movies and/or not paying close attention, you're going to be dazed,confused and frustrated. Though every film since the Goblet of Fire has ended with the death of an important character, none of them has the scale of darkness that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 has.

Harry, after the devastating conclusion of the Half-Blood Prince, walks away from his childhood in order to begin his dangerous hunt to destroy Lord Voldemort's Horcruxes, evil objects that contain portions of Voldemort's soul. Seeing as these Horcruxes act almost like fail-safes to prevent death, Lord Voldemort cannot be stopped until they are destroyed. As Harry and his best friends, Ron and Hermione, skip their final year at Hogwarts, Lord Voldemort is choking the life out of the Wizarding world grows stronger and stronger. No longer guided, fed, disciplined and protected by adults, the three young wizards have to apply everything they have ever learned in order to prepare for the final battle.

As a college freshman, Harry, Ron and Hermione's plight hits a lot closer to home for me than it does a lot of people. Now, one may say I'm bias because not only am I a fan, I have grown up alongside these characters. But it doesn't. At first, splitting the films in half sounded like an unpleasant money grab but now (even though it still is a money grab) it feels totally necessary to give the series the justice it deserves.

Did film drag a bit in the middle. Yes, but that's a part of the story. The characters are aimless, tired and frustrated and it puts a serious strain on their friendship, allowing the actors what they haven't been allowed before inside Hogwarts: a time to shine. Rupert Grint and Emma Watson especially deliver some award-worthy performances. When you add the exceptionally eerie score, magnificent animation sequence and the spectacular cinematography, it almost doesn't feel like a Harry Potter movie: it feels adult. I was a little worried of how David Yates would handle this sort of movie but not only did he deliver, but he delivered with style.

Whether the Deathly Hallows can be called the strongest movie of the series has yet to be seen (Part 2 opens July 2011), it can be easily said that this is the most emotional and darkest of all Harry Potter movies.

Problems: everyone knows the pacing in the middle act dragged. And it certainly did drag with a vengeance. If you aren't into passive acting (body language, facial expressions, subtle characterization), and pure plot, it's going to make you anxious and bored. Other than the aggravatingly perfect cliffhanger, that sums up the film's cons.

Now, as I wrap this up, there will be people who will dislike the movie for it drags in the middle, has holes, doesn't feel like Harry Potter and an anti-climatic (albeit tear jerking) ending. Keep in mind that this is only part 1. No true movie warrants a 0. And there will be people who will like the movie simply because it's very similar to the book, and otherwise, would be and are very upset because it's not verbatim. Get over yourselves. The human imagination works wonders and the books are brilliant. Read them. Movies tend to suffer if they slave themselves to their source material.

You don't have to be a die-hard fan to love this film. You just have to get it.
  54. Nov 26, 2010
    It's quite amazing how much the Harry Potter movies have matured since the release of the first installment. This film has by far blown me away more than any other outing I have seen yet. Much like "The Half-Blood Prince," the dark tone of the film seems to have advanced the hard-hitting emotional bareness of the franchise, and has truly brought out the most genuine and visceral performances we have yet to see from this set of actors. "The Deathly Hallows" is truly a spine-tingling thriller, which seems at times like more of a horror movie than an adventure flick. The performances are truly advanced in nature; the actors, especially the young three main stars of the franchise, show just how much the they have grown since the young and somewhat immature outing that was "The Sorcerer's Stone." The franchise has truly become a respectable and memorable film series, mostly attributed to the continuously darkening tone. Having said that, the darkness of the film may surprise you. It's a killer emotional thrill ride at moments, and some of the scenes made me, an avid movie buff, cringe and shudder. Be prepared for a truly amazing thriller which will shake your spine to the core, and impose the most unexpected tones on a series once seen as a magical and bright children's fantasy. The nine may have been a ten had this film been a little bit more masterful in it's entirety. Though I feel that the film was almost brilliant, the tone still feels like it's missing something... heavy. Maybe the final film can fulfill my ultimately insatiable hunger for this series to hit the dark, emotional core I know it is capable of hitting. It's so close, but the echoes of the first films are still bouncing around these sequels. For the last one, I hope it's as dark as can be; a true emotional beatdown that brings the series to a hellish climax before we never see another installment again. I loved the flick. Go see it. Even if you aren't into Harry Potter, you will still see that this film is doing what it is supposed to. 9/10 Expand
  55. Nov 26, 2010
    Fantastic beginning of the end of the series that has captivated the whole world over a decade. A true gift for fans of the books, and an incredible cinema masterpiece. With a dark tone, the hunt for the Horrocruxes begins in an intense run in which our beloved trio must do their best to keep alive. Congratulations to director David Yates, the cast that has highly improved, and the marvelous crew. Can't wait for the second part! Expand
  56. Nov 27, 2010
    This is the best of Harry Potter ever. I don't know how people think about the story, some people just go to the cinema for the action and want to cut all of the moment which made a lot of change to Harry. This book and maybe this movie would only the rubbish without those moment. This is the best installment of the Harry Potter franchise so far.
  57. cfh
    Dec 18, 2010
    I loved the movie, but I didn't like that there was two parts. At the end of the movie, it let you hanging. The thing that disapointed me was that Harry and his friends didn't go to Hogwarts. If you didn't see 5 or 6 you will be confused because they go back to some of the things in the last 2 movies.
  58. Nov 28, 2010
    One of the best movies of all time. I was really doubtful when they announced that Deathly Hallows would be split up into 2 parts. I understood why, since the book was so long, but I remained doubtful that splitting the movie would be a good idea. After watching it however, I'm really glad they did. If they hadn't I'm not sure what would have came out, but Deathly Hallows part 1 was an amazing film. I loved every moment of it. It manages to entertain you even with scenes that seem like they should be boring. Just an all around awesome movie. Definitely recommend it. I'm going to go watch it again in a week. If you haven't watched it. GO SEE IT! Expand
  59. Nov 29, 2010
    It is a shame that Warner Bros decided to split the franchise into 2 parts, but that was however a very smart move. Even though the movies were made to satisfy the fans, but its main reason was to make more money with Harry, Ron, and Hermoine. We'd watched all three of them grow for a decade, now to think that they're all adults and the franchise is going to be over soon, it is an odd feeling to say the least. The wizard world is corrupting because Lord Voldemort is back with his powers. Even the Ministry of Magic has to hide. The movie takes us on a journey with the three friends rather than giving us a battle between Harry and Voldemort. This is the number one reason fans are complaining about: there wasn't enough action and adventure. But in my opinion, the movie is just building tension for the next one. Even though the film doesn't give much on action, the acting is perfectly where we want it. The three friends give it their all but standing out is Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort) and his evil companion Bellatrix (Helena Bonham Carter). The make-up part in the franchise is always mesmerizing to see. These artists must've worked really hard to have Voldemort's face looked like that! Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 1 does not disappoints at all, not with its fine acting and brilliant make-up. Expand
  60. Dec 4, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. DEFINITELY the best movie of the series so far, i loved the dark tone and the much more mature tone to the film, something the earlier films lacked, with the exception of OOTP. the acting from dan, rupert and emma has more passion by far. i enjoyed the fact that this film is one that adults can go and watch by themselves without looking foolish. The film reminded me of the prisoner of azkaban, it is as David yates says "a road movie" the trio are constantly changing location in order to escape the snatcher and death eaters. i think some of the scenes were very well done, especially ones involving heavy VFX like the kiss between harry and hermione and the interaction with the house elves. some scenes like the one with the snake in godrics hollow was a pure suspense moment, it had a real dark edge to it and it almost felt like i was watching a horror movie (i love horror movies) the harry potter movies never dissapoint me, infact i would go as far as saying this movie could really win an oscar, if not this one then definitely part 2 because because i know that movie will be insanely dramatic and unique. i think the main success of this movie is down to Yates who i admire, all 4 of the potter movies he has directed have had a proper fitting theme to them, the style of directing is instantly recognizable from that of Chris Columbus or Alfonso, and i think Yates if it were possible should have directed ALL potter movies, although i would like to have seen quentin tarantino direct the deathly hallows. lol. Overall this film IS the best and i cannot wait until part 2 Expand
  61. Dec 7, 2010
    I'm a fan of Harry Potter Saga, i've read all of 7 books the saga and i've watched all film's compose this,but this particular episode, was badly scripted, i think the screenwriters want to be faithful to the book, but with it's own particular interpretation, in doing so gave more importance to them that are constantly in the woods, rather than make more sense of the Deathly Hallows, this is what transpires from the tradition in italian Expand
  62. Dec 7, 2010
    HP7 is the best of the series. I thought it was going to be a disappointment, but I really got into this one. It has everything you would want from a movie, action,drama,suspense. You dont need to be a die hard fan to like this movie. it grabs you from the start and never lets go, cant wait for the finale.
  63. Dec 10, 2010
    One best of the best in the Harry Potter series; it did end a little suddenly, however, this isn't something that is negative, it just makes the anticipation for part 2 so much harder to deal with. More on the positive note, it's nice to see the actors you've grown up with come full circle. This film reminds you that the journey that started a decade ago, is almost over. Harry Potter 7 part 1 is full of action, drama, and great lighthearted comedy. It's Definitely a must see for any Harry Potter addict. Expand
  64. Dec 10, 2010
    Absolutely mesmerizing. It almost captured the book in the best way it possibly could have done. DH surely is the best of David Yates' achievements.
    The score would have been better with John Williams returning to the series, but I must admit that Desplat did a great job which shouldn't been overseen.
    Anyway, the movie is amazing!
  65. May 31, 2011
    After the last two Harry Potter films I was beginning to feel the series was beginning to lose it's magic (no pun intended), the plots were getting lame, and they were losing there humor, but this movie changes that, the plot is enjoyable, and it's funny again, and it never really felt over dramatic, a must see for fans of the series.
  66. Dec 21, 2010
    KateM is a blubbering lunatic who knows nothing about the flow of the movie. It is EASILY the most accurate of all tthe HP films and definately feels the most mature. It turns a fru fru kiddy franchise into a legitimate film. Don't listen to the crazy critics, this is far more than a 65.
  67. Feb 11, 2011
    Absolutely the best one yet. I know it's gloomy but I've read the book and it's about to get A LOT better. In the next movie (and hopefully they don't cut it out because it's my favorite chapter) there's a scene where they go to Gringotts to steal from Bellatrix Lastrage"s vault. It's really exciting because they take the thieves drop and they have to get out and they do. Then they go to the vault and open it but the treasure burs them because it's hexed. It's really exciting!!!! Expand
  68. Jan 5, 2011
    Fantastic job by David Yates and also the other cast and crew. It's dark, it's mystery, it's adventure, overall a delightful watch. Congratulations! Dying to see what happens in the second part. Come on July, come faster so that I can watch Lord Voldemort die in Harry's hand.
  69. Jan 5, 2011
    I think that thtis film was definatly been the best in the franchise. The main three have all improved (even somewhat suprisingly Emma Watson). Daniel Radcliffe has some actually powerful moments. I feel out of all the films if this film hadn't been associated with the Harry Potter franchise I would still love it.
  70. Jan 7, 2011
    increadible movie, the best of the series and it also follows the book pretty acurately, funny and sad all in one movie. I actually teared up a little when dobby died.
  71. Jan 9, 2011
    Some people will expect a work as great as Shakespeare's Hamlet from any and every movie they critique, but be honest with yourselves, a sequel of a book-to-movie children's series will always be a different matter from a non-series original such as the first Jurassic Park or the first Jaws. Sequels are always somewhat disposable by nature because there's not much they can do new.

I have
    read all of the books and seen the previous movies before watching this installment and personally I was impressed: most specifically when part of the movie plunged us into a stylized cartoon atmosphere slightly reminiscent of A Nightmare Before Christmas to me.

In a lot of the other scenes in the other movies (particularly in the fight scenes where all the evil wizards just zoom around the rooms as black clouds for some completely random reason) I would think to myself "Wow, this fight sucks, such a let down, some college interns could've written a more interesting scene..." The above-mentioned deathly hallow scene was not that kind of disappointment though, it was actually an art-worthy depiction which would be worth saving even after many of the "Let's use our wands like guns, BANG BANG BANG" scenes get thrown in the trash where they belong.

See this movie if you enjoyed the previous Harry Potter movies. This movie is certainly an improvement over many of the previous films which focused on wearing dresses and dancing (that seems like half of Goblet of Fire.) I do not know why anyone would watch a sixth sequel to an original movie if they did not like it already.
  72. Jan 13, 2011
    This movie is absolutely amazing. I've been a fan of the Harry Potter franchise for a long time. The filming was just perfect. The acting was mind-boggling. Fans will enjoy this film for sure.
  73. Jan 16, 2011
    This film really gets you wondering what will happen next. With a brilliant ensemble cast & amazing special effects it at least deserves & Golden Globe Or An Oscar
  74. Jun 19, 2011
    Dazzling, emotionally gripping, wonderfully acted, and faithful to the source material, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I is a masterpiece, and is the best Harry Potter film in the series! I can't wait for Part 2 to blow audiences away.
  75. Jul 11, 2011
    Deathly Hallows: Part I is part epic and part narrative. The plot is as complex as ever (a good thing) and the performances show how the characters felt throughout the first half of the novel. The visuals are another part of what makes this film great! The spells look like spells and there is no abuse of CGI! Overall, make this a definite watch in preparation for the this final chapter.
  76. May 8, 2011
    Out of all the later films, this one is the best. If you're a HP fan this should deliver on all the important aspects: romance, action, cinematography, storyline - and I think they stopped at a great part in the novel in order to keep interest between the two last films.
  77. Feb 28, 2011
    I loved the film, but as just according to my opinion there should have been a bigger fight scene - one of the many things I like about the movie. But I didn't get - for a fraction of a second - bored. I understand that making the last film in two parts is important to the storyline. As a true Harry Potter fan I just wish they'd realized that sooner and perhaps with the previous film(s). Can't wait for the 2nd part which will be spectacular without any doubt. 10/10 Expand
  78. Mar 5, 2011
    deathly hallows is delicious from every possible angle...its by far the most faithful adaptation but all fueled with endless magical innovations....its like a comment on the book itself.....the Nazi undertones....the gripping spine-chilling music....the heart-breaking scenes....emotional scenes.....cinematography is spell-binding,and what amazing performances.....it was a visual treat as well as a treat for the brains....its intelligent....its a beautifully crafted movie....it doesn't drag....and remains true to the spirit of friendship.....i loved the dark and gloomy feel....the ominous speech of scrimgeour at the starting of the movie.....its one heck of a movie......finally David Yates proves that Harry potter is all grown n mature...and clearly its not fit for the younger audience...it requires lot of maturity to understand the tale...as it picks up loads of references from the past.....its absolutely brilliant and should have got a nomination for best picture this year at he Oscars....but it still remains bloody amazing..... Expand
  79. Mar 21, 2011
    They've done it again! The penultimate film in the Harry Potter franchise brings forth the new dark tinge of Harry Potter's journey to defeat Lord Voldemort. Without a doubt, you'll be salivating for more and more until the last second of what a breath taker! Love it!
  80. Apr 6, 2011
    Can't believe people criticize this movie, because of it's pace in the 2nd act.Have you morons actually read the damn book ? They can't just skip the whole part THAT TOOK PLACE DURING MONTHS IN THE BOOK.Watch less Michael Bay movies, you **** imbeciles, not every HP movie doesn't have to be full of CONSTANT action.I hate the previous movies for being basically summaries of the books.They were just mixed scenes of the books.All I could think of was the important parts they left out.At least this HP FEELS like an actual movie. Expand
  81. Jun 14, 2011
    It is so nice to see the Harry Potter franchise "all-growed-up". The actors and their respective characters have morphed into mature, sympathetic, and genuine individuals. The 'trio' shine in their determination and quiet [yet palpable] sadness. The scene in which Harry and Hermione dance to a well-placed Nick Cave tune (which was demonstrably absent from the novel) was both enthralling and calmly tragic in its pure simplicity. It is part of what makes the film convey a desperate longing for some sort of peace from the inevitable conflict that follows. Although I have loved each installment of Harry Potter--in both novel and film format, Deathly Hallows Part I has surpassed the previous films by leaps and bounds. It is a dark and beautiful portrayal of the main characters' inner turmoil; coupled with brilliant screenwriting, impressive [and what I would call understated, based on the previous films] visual effects, and what amounts to an honestly sincere coming-of-age narrative. All of these factors make this film more than merely entertaining. In fact, it leads the viewer into a world that is no longer that of the silly storybook tales that they have seen in the previous films. Deathly Hallows Part I makes the viewer at once both truly feel for the characters and their many troubles and desperately wish for the final film to be released. Expand
  82. Jul 20, 2011
    Magnificence. With its darker tone and melancholic mood, not to mention it's spellbinding effects and the dazzling acting of the older cast, Deathly Hallows Part 1 comes forth as the best Harry Potter film to date, even if it does have some problems with pace and an over reliance on the still patchy acting of Radcliffe, Watson and Grint.
  83. Aug 6, 2011
    A great film, much better than the second one, which makes you want to read the book again and go for the second (which is a little deceptive) film. It was a good idea to split the film in two as this made it 90% follow the book. It really makes you thrill and touches you like very few films of this saga do.
  84. Dec 18, 2011
    Beautifully photographed, loaded with a tense, gloomy tone and displaying touching performances of its young leads, the first-half of "Deathly Hallows" serves as a magnificent build-up for the climax of the series .
  85. Aug 26, 2011
    The Harry Potter films are the highest grossing film franchise of all time. This is precisely why when I heard that the final of J.K. Rowlingâ
  86. Mar 23, 2012
    Deathly Hallows Pt 1 is definitely a breath of fresh air after having 6 movies take place at Hogwarts, as the setting is more of a traveling fantasy movie.
  87. Jul 17, 2013
    The penultimate entry and the first half of the final book of the massive Harry Potter franchise is truly the best for so many reasons, its well-paced, its real, its frightening but most of all, its human. It is truly heart-wrenching, emotionally exhausting but brings these characters to full light and makes us realise why we care for them so much.
    The wizarding world is in a true form of
    terror, murder, abduction and general abandonment, Harry and his friends have decided not to return to Hogwarts but instead search for the remaining Horcruxes that Lord Voldemort uses to split his soul, therefore he cannot die. But their journey is of course the hardest challenge they have ever had to face, after the tragic events of the sixth film they are very much alone. The absence of help, and their limited knowledge on what exactly they are looking for puts a strain on the once foolproof friendship of our hero, Ron and Hermione. Ron is growing increasingly frustrated with Harry's lack of results, while Hermione simply doesn't know which side to take.
    The film visits many avenues it hasn't gone to before, we see scenes included that were not even in the book, yet fit so perfectly within the film, its a story of perseverance and loyalty, but also a journey into the unknown, so trust is in there too. The fact that there are less characters for a better part of the film outlines the strength these three unlikely heroes can carry, with superb acting, particularly that of Emma Watson, who leaves behind the know it all schoolgirl and becomes the mothering, edgy and loveable female of the trio, holding the other two together and making sure they are always looking ahead.
    The heartache and depth of drama unfold as the film goes on, but it is the humanly touch of seemingly everything that we see, Harry visiting the grave of his parents, Hermione reminiscing about going on holiday with her parents, whose memories of herself she erased, these, while magical and part of the books, seem so down to earth that there is a unique and almost vulnerable feel to the film, and while obviously not clear to anyone who joins the franchise this late on, it could stand on its own as a perfect pre- swan song.
    Certainly the most emotional journey of the lot, with some excellent effects and landscapes put in as Harry and his friends travel across the country.
    Well acted and superbly tied in to be the first half of the end, probably the best to date.
  88. Jan 11, 2013
    This is probably the best of the movies so far in terms of how closely they stayed to the book. Obviously there are many things differing but they seemed to capture the essence of every major point from the book... at least up to the point of the break before the final installment. It's tough to give the movie a perfect rating because as an individual film, it obviously lacks the conclusion that's provided in the last film. Nonetheless, awesomely done and I can't wait to watch the final film in the series! Expand
  89. Jul 12, 2012
    This film may just be a prelude, but it is an outstanding one. You get a shiver running down your spine at the end, you can just tell what's coming. Boy, did I not want this film to end! The acting is superb, the camera work is beautiful and the cast continues to charm. What a great series!
  90. Nov 10, 2012
    The first year out of Hogwarts. By far the darkest and deepest entry yet. One almost feels unsafe when the main characters are out and about. Anything could happen. This is a highpoint of the HP films.
  91. Dec 21, 2012
    3 words describe this movie. So damn exciting.
  92. Jul 10, 2013
    Just like the book, but more fancy, exciting, dark and ever yet so entertaining. I admit it's a bit sad to see the house elf Dobby go to his death, but that is how Voldemort works.
  93. May 31, 2013
    This is my favorite film in the franchise. Any Harry Potter fan who doesn't like this movie is just downright crazy. The action sequences were great and the movie was very similar to the book. I remember watching this in theaters and I was just blown away. The acting was great and the suspense will have you at the edge of your seat.
  94. Mar 15, 2014
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 also bravely faces the future, slipping with expert ease among the thrilling mass of complications (and complicated set pieces) that Rowling throws fans in the final sprint, then guiding the faithful to the fate that awaits everyone in this world, the moment called The End.
  95. Jun 14, 2013
    A very well done movie road.

The first time I saw HP7 Part 1 liked, loved the second, and I must say it was a great movie, great moments from the great effect at the Battle of the Seven Potters scene in the ministry, until the death of Dobby, great track sonoroa made the cast remains good, Emma Watson stands out among the trio, film photography is brilliant as that of HP6 and script
    does not fail at all, only I forgot to say that the scenes of Hogwarts, but because not only I but like all fans also wanted to have seen what was happening at Hogwarts while the trio was on the road. Expand
  96. Jun 25, 2013
    This time Harry Potter is different in a good way, it is certainly excellent, by far the best, with some disturbing imagery and scenes, and enchanting over the top action sequences, it is the best one and the most thrilling.
  97. Jul 14, 2013
    The darkest film in the series also contains some of the best and most fresh sequences in the entire series. It has heart, true heart; great direction, fantastic music (Alexandre Desplat is another one of the greatest composers that ever lived), amazing acting and visuals- this film really does the source material justice by splitting the last book into two. This film really gets you involved emotionally and it delivers, always. It is a fantastic piece of work. Expand
  98. Oct 24, 2013
    'Deathly Hallows: Part I' is an incredibly well-acted and visually stunning precursor to the franchise's final installment and serves as a tense character-driven penultimate film. However, it can't help but feel like an obvious prelude.

1. Reviewed by: Andrea Gronvall
    Dec 8, 2010
    The best portion is an animated story-within-the-story, supervised by Ben Hibon, that recalls Lotte Reiniger's filigreed shadow puppets as it sets the stage for armageddon.
  2. Reviewed by: Kenneth Turan
    Dec 8, 2010
    To be fair to Deathly Hallows, the filmmakers have tried hard to fill the proceedings with battles and chases and debilitating curses. Genuine filmmaking excitement, however, is harder to provide.
    I hope that in Part 2, Yates and screenwriter Steve Kloves give Fiennes a better send-off than Dame J.K. did in her less-than-wizardly climactic wandathon. Having made us sit through two and a half hours with no payoff, they'd better not go all Muggle on us. Next time, we want magic, people.