Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: November 19, 2010
7.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 930 Ratings
WATCH NOW
EpicLadySpongeJan 20, 2016
Before the epic conclusion comes, this "Deathly Treatment" tells us that Harry Potter's coming to an end way before Part 2 came out. It's Part 2 that was better than this, but it's still good anyways.
TVJerryNov 21, 2010
First up: I am not a HP fan. Never read one of the books, but have seen all of the movies. To me, they've been going downhill. This one puts the three leads on a quest to save Harry and prepare for the ultimate battle, but the complexities ofFirst up: I am not a HP fan. Never read one of the books, but have seen all of the movies. To me, they've been going downhill. This one puts the three leads on a quest to save Harry and prepare for the ultimate battle, but the complexities of the plot and characters were lost on me. While some of the magic is fun and the first hour is promising, the long periods hiding in the woods slow the pace and the personal drama is not compelling. Expand
TheQuietGamerMay 31, 2011
After the last two Harry Potter films I was beginning to feel the series was beginning to lose it's magic (no pun intended), the plots were getting lame, and they were losing there humor, but this movie changes that, the plot is enjoyable,After the last two Harry Potter films I was beginning to feel the series was beginning to lose it's magic (no pun intended), the plots were getting lame, and they were losing there humor, but this movie changes that, the plot is enjoyable, and it's funny again, and it never really felt over dramatic, a must see for fans of the series. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
It is a little slow at times, but in the end "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1" does ultimately make itself feel like a worthwhile cinematic experience.
beingryanjudeAug 25, 2014
I will admit my dislike for David Yates' previous work with the Harry Potter series, but I found this to be more than redemption. A unbelievable prologue to the final installment--it's remarkable and a return to form.
csw12Feb 17, 2015
This movie is an absolute waste of time. Nothing happens except you waste more than 2 hours of your life watching complete darkness and hearing nothing. Too many times people are sitting around and doing nothing. Just get to part 2 and stopThis movie is an absolute waste of time. Nothing happens except you waste more than 2 hours of your life watching complete darkness and hearing nothing. Too many times people are sitting around and doing nothing. Just get to part 2 and stop with this nonsense. Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 23, 2011
Boasting with surprising maturity and good direction from director David Yates, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1" is a good start to the ending of the Harry Potter franchise.
cameronmorewoodNov 8, 2012
This Potter, though it has some great moments, is sadly overshadowed by boring stretching and meandering of plot.
Trev29May 21, 2013
This movie was dreadfully boring and a poor adaptation of the book. This could have been a very unique movie that could have been wonderfully directed with style, but everything fell flat. Hugely disappointing on too many levels.
imthenoobJan 31, 2012
It started off great (the Snape meeting with Voldemort scene was perfect and hands down the best scene in the film) and it did have its few moments but I was pretty disapointed with it. I think it was far too sappy and corny for my taste andIt started off great (the Snape meeting with Voldemort scene was perfect and hands down the best scene in the film) and it did have its few moments but I was pretty disapointed with it. I think it was far too sappy and corny for my taste and the first half of the book did a terrible job working out on the big screen. Expand
TokyochuchuDec 8, 2014
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I is one of the most satisfying entries into the franchise. The action scenes are dark, violent and scary and the emotional core of the film runs higher than before. That said, there is also time forHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I is one of the most satisfying entries into the franchise. The action scenes are dark, violent and scary and the emotional core of the film runs higher than before. That said, there is also time for some extremely fun old-school style Potter too, most notably in the Ministry of Magic infiltration sequence. All in all, this is truly one of the best Potter films. Expand
j30Sep 20, 2011
The movie feels like a money grab with the slow pacing and contains unfulfilled sequence of events. I know it's part 1, but the film is all tease. I see how the movie is necessary, but to rate this part as a film by itself feels empty.
ZilcellMar 23, 2012
Deathly Hallows Pt 1 is definitely a breath of fresh air after having 6 movies take place at Hogwarts, as the setting is more of a traveling fantasy movie.
JacobMay 12, 2013
This is really depressing because I want to say that this was an awesome movie. It’s a great story and the best in the series. The director does a good job of recapping the story getting rid of anything that is not too necessary. However,This is really depressing because I want to say that this was an awesome movie. It’s a great story and the best in the series. The director does a good job of recapping the story getting rid of anything that is not too necessary. However, this is his biggest flaw. Because everything is to the point nothing is really developed because everything that made the book good and created tension isn’t there. Nonetheless, there are some good moments in it but once again they are very brief and don’t last long. In short while Deathly Hallows Part 1 is good movie it suffers because of the very nature of tale it is trying to retell. Expand
oxanaAug 24, 2014
This was the first time I read the book before seeing a Harry Potter film. I am yet to decide whether it worked against me or not, to have that prior experience of the story. I was not sure what to expect, so I didn't expect much (just inThis was the first time I read the book before seeing a Harry Potter film. I am yet to decide whether it worked against me or not, to have that prior experience of the story. I was not sure what to expect, so I didn't expect much (just in case). I wasn't prepared to be this disappointed, however.

In the book, there are a lot of pages (anyone who has read it or even seen it knows that). There are also a lot of smaller and bigger events that gradually add to the big picture. Small details that fill the void around the main events. While I found the book dragging and a bit boring at places, I still expected them to make the film do something good with it.

What happens here is that they set off with zero warning or explanation (having read the book I had some kind of idea of what was going on, but otherwise the events stayed quote hollow if you view the film alone, lacking the emotional impact).

The film dashes from one scene to the next. People show up, old and new, hear news, move forward, from one place to the next. The characters don't work, the plot is too jerky to really make sense, and I had the feeling that had I not read the book, I would not have had any idea about half the stuff taking place on he screen and what certain comments between characters meant.

The fighting scenes were very fast and flashy; the camera kept moving, making me almost nauseous. It was hard to tell who they were following, where they were running, and exactly who was shooting spells at whom. Sure, that's realistic, but it's also in the power of a film to step out of that hectic-ness and show us, in outsider's perspective, what is really going on. To enjoy the moment rather than rush through it.

If the second part of the movie is going to be like this, I'm not going to look forward to it all that much. I feel like they tampered too much with the original so that they could get ahead fast. Sure, fast is good sometimes, if you're dealing multiple storylines, but this felt more like fast-forwarding and dropping out everything that could be dropped, costing some information that seemed rather important in the book and robbing the film of any real emotional charge: the characters had no time to work, and their moods felt unjustified. Angry, sad, joyous... it was hard to follow why exactly each and every one of those emotions took place.

Not my favorite Potter movie. In fact, this might end up being my least favorite one, simply because they butchered any chance at good story-telling by rushing forward, bringing in ingredients from the book and simply making a mess of it.

Three stars for the movie looking good and the small moments of stillness that made sense, but... that's about it.
MovieLonely94Jul 5, 2011
Harry, Ron, and Hermione leave their homes to find and destroy the horcruxes as they are being hunted by Voldemort and his dark forces while reuniting with old friends and allies before they realize that their friendship is being torn apartHarry, Ron, and Hermione leave their homes to find and destroy the horcruxes as they are being hunted by Voldemort and his dark forces while reuniting with old friends and allies before they realize that their friendship is being torn apart and must stay close together as ever. Caught the screening of this in November six days after it came out and enjoyed it. Now for my opinion. I am really entralled at how brilliant this installment is. The storyline was well-paced it tried everything it can to get to the cliff hanger, the acting was brilliant, the fantasy action was dark, yet very amazing, and the soundtrack from Alexandre Desplat (The Golden Compass, The Twilight Saga: New Moon) was epic and very emotional. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is a satisfying epic entry of the series and will be concluded with part 2 in only 10 more days left.

FuturedirectorApr 16, 2017
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 may be even paler and atmospheric than it's predecessors, but it still has it's smart storytelling and indispensable interpretations that live's up to Harry Potter's epic name of the saga.
heyitsmegrif4Dec 17, 2011
Heartwarming, emotionally depth, and visually appealing, this is greatly positioning the second part to be a fantastic film. Definitely one of the best of the Potters. Ha they all are great. I give this film 93% of a good movie.
TheApplegnomeFeb 19, 2014
A mysterious movie that has entertaining scenes and an spectacular story.

A mysterious movie that has entertaining scenes and an spectacular story.

The opening scene in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I is great and exciting. The movie is very well made and the actors couldn't have been more awesome as they are, and the story is spectacular. The movie also contains some humorous scenes that I really enjoyed. The negative things about this movie is that it contains to much slow scenes that doesn't got a high amount of action, which made it a little boring. Another bad thing is that the movie itself didn't contain anything new or spectacular, and I think it might could have happened more in this movie, but also that the music could have been more touching.
Even though this movie contains slowness is it still a great movie, because it got an awesome ending and the movie overall felt mysterious well made.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I gets a 8/10
worleyjamersJan 10, 2013
Slow-moving, but this character driven entry delivers just as much as any great thriller would, although it does feel a bit like the prequel it is. Great performances by Radcliffe and Watson.
StevenFJul 17, 2013
The penultimate entry and the first half of the final book of the massive Harry Potter franchise is truly the best for so many reasons, its well-paced, its real, its frightening but most of all, its human. It is truly heart-wrenching,The penultimate entry and the first half of the final book of the massive Harry Potter franchise is truly the best for so many reasons, its well-paced, its real, its frightening but most of all, its human. It is truly heart-wrenching, emotionally exhausting but brings these characters to full light and makes us realise why we care for them so much.
The wizarding world is in a true form of terror, murder, abduction and general abandonment, Harry and his friends have decided not to return to Hogwarts but instead search for the remaining Horcruxes that Lord Voldemort uses to split his soul, therefore he cannot die. But their journey is of course the hardest challenge they have ever had to face, after the tragic events of the sixth film they are very much alone. The absence of help, and their limited knowledge on what exactly they are looking for puts a strain on the once foolproof friendship of our hero, Ron and Hermione. Ron is growing increasingly frustrated with Harry's lack of results, while Hermione simply doesn't know which side to take.
The film visits many avenues it hasn't gone to before, we see scenes included that were not even in the book, yet fit so perfectly within the film, its a story of perseverance and loyalty, but also a journey into the unknown, so trust is in there too. The fact that there are less characters for a better part of the film outlines the strength these three unlikely heroes can carry, with superb acting, particularly that of Emma Watson, who leaves behind the know it all schoolgirl and becomes the mothering, edgy and loveable female of the trio, holding the other two together and making sure they are always looking ahead.
The heartache and depth of drama unfold as the film goes on, but it is the humanly touch of seemingly everything that we see, Harry visiting the grave of his parents, Hermione reminiscing about going on holiday with her parents, whose memories of herself she erased, these, while magical and part of the books, seem so down to earth that there is a unique and almost vulnerable feel to the film, and while obviously not clear to anyone who joins the franchise this late on, it could stand on its own as a perfect pre- swan song.
Certainly the most emotional journey of the lot, with some excellent effects and landscapes put in as Harry and his friends travel across the country.
Well acted and superbly tied in to be the first half of the end, probably the best to date.
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
Once again, the Harry Potter filmmakers and actors have done a magnificent job translating JKR's masterpiece to the screen. I'm sop glad they decided to divide this movie into two parts since it's allowed them to be even truer to the 759 page story.
Bruce722Jan 11, 2013
This is probably the best of the movies so far in terms of how closely they stayed to the book. Obviously there are many things differing but they seemed to capture the essence of every major point from the book... at least up to the point ofThis is probably the best of the movies so far in terms of how closely they stayed to the book. Obviously there are many things differing but they seemed to capture the essence of every major point from the book... at least up to the point of the break before the final installment. It's tough to give the movie a perfect rating because as an individual film, it obviously lacks the conclusion that's provided in the last film. Nonetheless, awesomely done and I can't wait to watch the final film in the series! Expand
BikerjamesDec 23, 2010
Of all the Potter films, this was the most dissappointing for me. I thought the film started great, but the middle of the film is SO boring when they are camping in their tent and going from place to place around the globe to avoid theirOf all the Potter films, this was the most dissappointing for me. I thought the film started great, but the middle of the film is SO boring when they are camping in their tent and going from place to place around the globe to avoid their attackers. The film really slows down at this point. Even so, a mediocre Harry Potter film is still better than the average film out there. I really missed the Hogwart school in this one. My friend who I went with is a huge Potter fan, and he did not like this film. I liked it better than him, but some of the wonder of the preceding films is missing in this one. Expand
Rox22May 2, 2015
This movie is clear about one thing: It is part 1 of a 2 part movie that really only needed to be one film.

While it starts off alright it quickly transitions into one filler scene after another. Most of the scenes could easily have been trimmed down, even cut out all together.

While nothing in the movie is bad, allot feels needless padding. Acting is still decent, effects still great but the plot felt like it was all just build up, with little to no pay off in this move.

Overall:
HPatDHpt1 is an obvious cash grab that is needlessly padded out just to justify its existence. Still a good movie though, just a shame it was done this way.
Movie1997Sep 8, 2013
There are people that think that this one is bad because of its slow pace. Honestly, I think it works well for what it has to offer. Probably not the best place for a slow Harry Potter story, but for sure picks it up in the end, along with aThere are people that think that this one is bad because of its slow pace. Honestly, I think it works well for what it has to offer. Probably not the best place for a slow Harry Potter story, but for sure picks it up in the end, along with a sad death scene. Overall, slow is the case for making Part 1 of the big finale work. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Expand
axelkochJan 13, 2014
The film may be too complex to grasp the first time watching it and also doesn't exactly spare clichés and silly exposition conversations, yet is still a rich and multiply-layered film that succeeds in including all the necessary genres andThe film may be too complex to grasp the first time watching it and also doesn't exactly spare clichés and silly exposition conversations, yet is still a rich and multiply-layered film that succeeds in including all the necessary genres and making it seem genuine. All of this is due to a top-notch crew and a huge gathering of immensely talented British actors, this time expanded by Bill Nighy and Rhys Ifans above others. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 is intense, moving, and highly entertaining and serves as a perfect set-up for the finale of this fantastic franchise. Expand
SEROJMar 28, 2013
I couldn't believe that the end of Harry Potter is near! This part was great and very important, because you must watch it before the last part, or you'll not understand! The only reason why i'm not giving it a 8/10 is because it was a bitI couldn't believe that the end of Harry Potter is near! This part was great and very important, because you must watch it before the last part, or you'll not understand! The only reason why i'm not giving it a 8/10 is because it was a bit boring and it reminded me of Twilight,especially when they were in the forest. But that's why it has 2 parts, because it's not unfinished and the best is yet to come. It's a MUST WATCH if you're going to watch the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Expand
MrMovieBuffNov 16, 2016
It's not easy to adapt J.K. Rowling's longest "Harry Potter" book, so the safe choice was to split it into two movies. Obviously, this means that the first half would be least eventful, and the second portion of the story would be fast-pacedIt's not easy to adapt J.K. Rowling's longest "Harry Potter" book, so the safe choice was to split it into two movies. Obviously, this means that the first half would be least eventful, and the second portion of the story would be fast-paced and always moving. 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1' is a haunting, effective, emotionally stirring and chilling chapter into the iconic franchise. We see our main heroes; Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) running around alone in the woods looking for more horcruxes to destroy. Lord Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes) has also planned on how he is to attack Harry, with the help of Snape (Alan Rickman) telling him where he might be at all times. This informs that Harry is unsafe, and even anyone who knows him is also at risk of getting killed since they are to tag along with him on their journey. There isn't much to the movie's premise as it does mostly follow our three heroes running in the woods, but what I loved most is that, without the overlong presence of Fiennes, Rickman, Maggie Smith, Emma Thompson etc. this movie gives more room for Radcliffe, Watson and Grint to showcase their emotional weight for their characters. You feel exactly what they feel, they are confused, angry, upset... a whole roller coaster of emotions just escape these characters, and the actors play them well. This might not be everyone's favorite "Potter" chapter, but it's definitely worth seeing if you're a fan of acting and atmosphere. Expand
OfficialNov 1, 2013
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is directed once again by David Yates. He gives us the action sequences early in the film but slowly becomes a slightly dull camping sequence where not much is happening. However, the film ends"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is directed once again by David Yates. He gives us the action sequences early in the film but slowly becomes a slightly dull camping sequence where not much is happening. However, the film ends with the perfect cliffhanger, making us anxious for the final film in the Harry Potter series. Expand
RayzorMooseNov 17, 2013
Harry Potter has a seventh crack at success.
Harry Potter has a seventh crack at success.
Although not very much excitement or as much entertainment do to this somewhat anti climatic film, it still succeeds with a good story. By splitting the book into two parts the movie ends at an odd cliff hanger that wouldn't have been acceptable with the other films.
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
Excellent addition to the Potter franchise and a huge step up from the Half-Blood Prince which lacked so much!

The music is disappointing with Desplat's promise of using John William's themes as they have been so unused in the last three films but he broke it and the actual Harry Potter theme had more or less of a cameo during the traditional sky writing title credits.

The visual effects are at their best since Prisoner of Azkaban, the art direction is fab and the cinematography is good too!
MegWhiteleyMar 28, 2012
I think that the movie can be better, in some parts is boring, but is an excellent first part, because if you watching this film with Deathly Hallows Part 2 is an epic film.
KivaJun 11, 2013
One of the best harry potter movie. Had action and great fantasy .The plot was good and the actors as usual great.
spadenxDec 8, 2011
I was suprised that I liked it as much as I did, I didnt like the earlier HP films but I did enjoy the HBP. I think the film was solid through out - Good acting, Good action, and it stayed true to the book for the most part. I think that theI was suprised that I liked it as much as I did, I didnt like the earlier HP films but I did enjoy the HBP. I think the film was solid through out - Good acting, Good action, and it stayed true to the book for the most part. I think that the entire time they were on the run could have been a bit shorter though, I felt that it was a little too dragged on. Still, Its a good film. Expand
FreedomFightersDec 5, 2016
I still remember my reaction when I heard that the final Harry Potter film would be divided into two parts. It was a resounding, "what?" I wasn't sure if that would be the best idea in the world, because even if the book is pretty long, is itI still remember my reaction when I heard that the final Harry Potter film would be divided into two parts. It was a resounding, "what?" I wasn't sure if that would be the best idea in the world, because even if the book is pretty long, is it worth two movies? The answer is "yes." "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" (which I'll probably just call "Part 1" for the rest of the review) is well-acted, well-filmed, visually great, and successful in its darker tone and mood. Even if it doesn't stand as the best film in the franchise, "Part 1" is a great film that fans of the franchise will absolutely enjoy. Expand
TrilobiteGAug 9, 2015
Although the drama between Ron and Harry in this film bothers me and it's resolution is laughable to some extent, you just have to give credit to this movie and it's psychological aspect to how the dark arts are messing with someone's headAlthough the drama between Ron and Harry in this film bothers me and it's resolution is laughable to some extent, you just have to give credit to this movie and it's psychological aspect to how the dark arts are messing with someone's head and how death leaves a mark on even the happiest occasions. I just got to give credit to this film for so superbly setting up what is to come. Expand
jimmytancrediMay 29, 2011
By far the best in the saga. In this, Kloves could make a great script that appeals both fans whose worry too much about fidelity to the book about the fans who prefer a movie that flows well (like me). Yates proves to be the best director ofBy far the best in the saga. In this, Kloves could make a great script that appeals both fans whose worry too much about fidelity to the book about the fans who prefer a movie that flows well (like me). Yates proves to be the best director of the saga, and hits in all scenes, including creating beautiful scenes like the dance between Harry and Hermione and when Harry visits the grave of his parents, scary scenes like the house of Bathilda Bagshot and great action scenes like the battle of the seven Potters. In terms of performances, it's also the best one. Radcliffe finally shows a nice dramatic flair, Grint won't disappoint those scenes (and still shows its good comic timing). However the highlight of the trio goes all the way to Emma Watson, as her character Hermione also gets an interesting highlight in this chapter because it is the best in magic, it is she who takes care of Harry and Ron on the journey in search of the Horcruxes. And Emma doesn't disappoint, delivering a fantastic performance (the scene in which it erases the memory of their parents is one of the most beautiful of the saga for sure, thanks to her acting). The older actors do not appear much in this, since the movie focuses on the trio most of the time, but it doesn't disappoint in small moments in the scene (as always Raplh Fiennes as Voldemort is fantastic). Technically, is not the best of the series but is one of. The visual effects, Oscar nominations, although they are well used, are way far from being very realistic (the Chamber of Secrets, Dobby, was better than the new and the Prisoner of Azkaban, dementors, were much more realistic). The art director Stuart Craig has always been perfect, and that, even without the backdrop of Hogwarts, is still very good (the landscapes are gorgeous, and some scenes of destruction are great), deservedly nominated for an Oscar as well. The photograph although not as good as the Half-Blood Prince, is beautiful. But the coach will focus entirely on the soundtrack of Desplat. Many fans were calling for the return of Williams for the final chapters of HP, and I can say it was good he didn't return. Williams could hardly write a novel as beautiful as that Desplat composed. Besides beautiful tracks, Desplat also appears to be able to create good tracks for scenes of action and horror. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015
From a purely business standpoint, the decision to bifurcate Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a winner. Instead of cashing in about $300 million at the domestic box office, Warner Brothers can now count on at least $600 million (biggerFrom a purely business standpoint, the decision to bifurcate Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a winner. Instead of cashing in about $300 million at the domestic box office, Warner Brothers can now count on at least $600 million (bigger world-wide). And, if the second part is released in 3-D (as has been threatened), the surcharge could boost that total to stratospheric levels. Still, what's good for the cash box isn't always good for the audience. From a creative perspective, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One is a disappointment. It's tough to review what amounts to half a movie since, by its nature, the story remains rough-hewn and unfinished. A year from now, once both pieces are available and stitched together into a mammoth 5-hour epic, perhaps the experience will more closely resemble The Return of the King than Return of the Jedi.

With Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, it appears that the filmmakers have given up on making the saga accessible to those not steeped in Potter lore - or at least those who have not read the books. There were indications of this in the previous film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, but it's more evident in this one. Lacking a handy cheat-sheet, it's almost impossible to understand everything that's going on. For example, where does Brendan Gleeson's Mad-Eye Moody disappear to? Readers of the book know, but you have to listen carefully to get the rushed explanation in the movie. His fate is not shown; it's relayed in a perfunctory fashion in the midst of a chaotic scene. There are other problems along this line - characters appearing who have never been properly introduced (or may not be remembered). Where did John Hurt come from? It would take an impressive memory to recall his previous Harry Potter appearance, which occurred in 2001. Subplots are concluded with nary a word of explanation. Those who know the books won't be the least bit put off or confused - they have the necessary background. Neophytes (do those exist?) or those who have experienced the Harry Potter universe solely through the cinematic representations will experience at least a degree of frustration.

Speaking of frustration, there's the ending. As one might anticipate, it's a cliffhanger, although not of the sort that will have fans throwing empty popcorn containers at the screen. The story simply stops, and that's annoying. It's like sex where one of the participants has a change of heart after foreplay. There's some enjoyment to be had but that's overshadowed by the desire to bring the experience to a completion. All the previous Harry Potter movies have existed as self-contained stories within a larger framework - even The Half-Blood Prince, which was as much set-up as narrative. That's not the case with The Deathly Hallows Part One. There's no payoff. The movie builds erratically to the moment when the end credits start rolling. After sacrificing nearly 2 1/2 hours to this movie, there's a sense that more is deserved. Perhaps that "more" is waiting for us, and The Deathly Hallows Part Two will redeem Part One but, as I write this review, I have only the first movie to make judgments on, and those are mixed.

The pace is uneven, with sluggish passages interspersed with taut action scenes and more meaningful instances of character interaction and exposition. There's an entertainingly original animated sequence (telling the story behind the title), but its inclusion seems more an indulgence than a necessity. Approximately half the running length follows the intrepid trio on a camping expedition - something that might work well on the written page but tends to drag on screen. The unhurried approach also defuses some of the suspense, although it helps to build the sense of dread. The Deathly Hallows Part One is working up to the final confrontation between Harry and Voldemort, but that's all it does - works up to it. From beginning to end, this movie is a study in anticlimax. There's a sense of the narrative going in circles and not advancing much. Quests are a fantasy staple, but rarely has a movie been made in which there is so little progress. Even Frodo's trek to Mordor, despite taking three very long movies to complete, wasn't this torpid.

Despite providing an opportunity to spend 147 minutes in the company of people we have grown to know and love over the years and advancing the narrative toward its final cataclysmic confrontation, The Deathly Hallows Part One underachieves. At a time when Harry Potter should be soaring to new heights, it remains curiously grounded.
gm101Nov 20, 2010
As someone who was really disappointed with the movie version of The Half-Blood Prince, I was wondering whether this movie would go down the same path. Thankfully, it hasn't, and instead, is now one of my three favorite Harry Potter moviesAs someone who was really disappointed with the movie version of The Half-Blood Prince, I was wondering whether this movie would go down the same path. Thankfully, it hasn't, and instead, is now one of my three favorite Harry Potter movies (the others being Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix). All I can say is, the magic is back with this movie! Can't wait for Part 2! Expand
Forrestgump1Dec 5, 2010
â
alejandro970May 21, 2017
Emotive, breath- taking first fragment of Harry Potter last stand. The quarry for find the horcruxes and the complications are faithful to original book. The last minutes developes greats expectations for last episode. Remarkable score byEmotive, breath- taking first fragment of Harry Potter last stand. The quarry for find the horcruxes and the complications are faithful to original book. The last minutes developes greats expectations for last episode. Remarkable score by Alexandre Desplat. Expand
smijatovJul 12, 2011
Part 1 is definitely a rather good film. One of the better ones of the franchise. With a well balanced storyline, the writers have managed to make an exciting, yet reasonably paced and well-explained part of the Potter films. The visualPart 1 is definitely a rather good film. One of the better ones of the franchise. With a well balanced storyline, the writers have managed to make an exciting, yet reasonably paced and well-explained part of the Potter films. The visual effects have been improving from film to film, with some of the most amazing effects we've witnessed. The biggest surprise for me was the acting - it was actually pretty good! Daniel Radcliffe was actually acting well, which is rather refreshing. Overall, it is a rather interesting and smooth transition into the last film, which seems to be very promising!! Expand
Khunter4382Apr 28, 2011
The film does well in setting the stage for the final installment but does little in the way of entertainment. While this is decent storytelling, it fails to get off the ground and therefore just exists much like the characters in theThe film does well in setting the stage for the final installment but does little in the way of entertainment. While this is decent storytelling, it fails to get off the ground and therefore just exists much like the characters in the film...they're just sitting around. The effects and performances are nothing new, though the cinematography is once again superb. One of my least favorite of the Potter series. Expand
Jack97Dec 17, 2016
Deathly Hallows Part 1 is a much slower paced film compared to it's predecessors, but the story it has to tell is engaging enough to compensate as well as the three leads who all get to shine even brighter here given their bigger focus.
JonnyFendiJun 25, 2012
We have finally come to the last page of J.K. Rowling
TonyDec 26, 2010
Entertaining and certainly well-crafted, but I couldn't help but look at this solely as a build-up to the final film. I wish this was better able to stand alone as a story, but I'm sure it will play very well to all Potter fanatics. On theEntertaining and certainly well-crafted, but I couldn't help but look at this solely as a build-up to the final film. I wish this was better able to stand alone as a story, but I'm sure it will play very well to all Potter fanatics. On the bright side, its cinematography was unexpectedly beautiful and almost poetic. at times. Expand
mds03Apr 14, 2013
Such an improvement over the sixth one. Almost constantly entertaining, riveting, and unpredictable the whole running time. You will never know what hit you. Such a good start to ending the fantastically written and directed Harry Potter series.
JohnMasterLJul 14, 2015
A pesar de que " THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE" ignora por completo la trama y las situaciones del libro original, David Yates hace una maravilla en "The Deathly Hallows Part 1" no solo es de las mejores adaptaciones que podras ver en mucho tiempo,A pesar de que " THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE" ignora por completo la trama y las situaciones del libro original, David Yates hace una maravilla en "The Deathly Hallows Part 1" no solo es de las mejores adaptaciones que podras ver en mucho tiempo, sino también regresa el estilo original y oscuro que Harry Potter tenia desde "The Prisoner of Azkaban" y "The Goblet of Fire" Divertida, oscura e increíble. Expand
DarkCriticNov 21, 2010
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,Part I is a "cup of tea" of my coolness and actually a very good movie. They split between two parts before the new Part II will come out in July,but the movie keeps on. Harry,Ron and Hermoine returnsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,Part I is a "cup of tea" of my coolness and actually a very good movie. They split between two parts before the new Part II will come out in July,but the movie keeps on. Harry,Ron and Hermoine returns back to the seventh movie and they acted like young adults,no longer becoming as a kid or a teenager at the same time,now they're acted like spies now and that's awesome. The scenes are pretty good,I like the action scenes for me,my favorite part is the motorcycle chase,when the Death Eaters starts attacking in the sky with multiple Harry Potters,but it's more compelling to the other three films like Sorcerer's Stone,Chamber of Secrets,and Order of the Phoenix. The screen is changing back to the same effect like the Order of the Phoenix (Sometimes it change the screen all the time with each scene that turns bright,dark,blue,and happy,when I saw Harry Potter films. I don't know? It's why they set up too much,if you feel happy or depressing while you watching.) It has some scary scenes that made me scare the whole time and it's very emotional that every movie got killed by those beloved characters and I won't spoil it for you,it's really sad. The story is very good and it needs some time when the new one is coming by for the finale of Harry Potter must face against Voldemort. The seventh movie is really done well and it's a great film that they show Harry is becoming as an adult and he could actually be a brave guy,that's really important for us that we watch the entirely films that what we read entire series. Expand
geo333Jan 8, 2016
Harry Potter final and a half installment not only deals with more character emotions but has a well developed story that justifies the need to split the final book into two films. Also it previews in a sequence whats to follow in a great manner.
jeff_reviewsJul 12, 2013
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is darker than ever, but unlike Part 2, it has issues with its usage of deep dark depth in its plotting. The film is still interesting enough to watch, and as a Harry Potter fan, I thought they"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is darker than ever, but unlike Part 2, it has issues with its usage of deep dark depth in its plotting. The film is still interesting enough to watch, and as a Harry Potter fan, I thought they managed to pull parts off well, but I thought that the book it portrayed did a much better job hooking readers, as did the film hooked audiences. The film does have a lovely soundtrack that fits the darker tone and in all honesty, it is a wonderful film to watch. Expand
StevieGJDDec 4, 2010
The biggest insight one can get from Deathly Hallows Part I is that this did not need to be two movies and it was split up so that the studio could make twice as much money on the last film of the franchise. I'm sure they're disappointedThe biggest insight one can get from Deathly Hallows Part I is that this did not need to be two movies and it was split up so that the studio could make twice as much money on the last film of the franchise. I'm sure they're disappointed they didn't think of this earlier. The film is good, but bloated and poorly edited. There are many unnecessary scenes, such that this movie could have been an hour and still told the story. That being said, it has a great melancholy and brooding atmosphere and is a welcome rebound from the last installment, which was so fixated with high school romantic melodrama that it was quite frankly the worst film of the franchise. It jumps right into action that is sadly not consistent. There is a lot of waiting. But for a fan of the characters and story, one cannot miss this and we are left with an obvious cliffhanger and half a year to see this to the end. Expand
rotkuApr 8, 2012
More of the same from the Harry Potter franchise although this movie seemed to indicate a turn towards the dark moody end to the series which was hinted in the Half Blood Prince film.
superbatJul 16, 2016
I was so hyped for this movie after watching the Half-Blood Prince. It was still a great movie but it wasn't excellent either. Sure, the visual effects and acting were great, but the plot had several holes and the tone was too dour. You comeI was so hyped for this movie after watching the Half-Blood Prince. It was still a great movie but it wasn't excellent either. Sure, the visual effects and acting were great, but the plot had several holes and the tone was too dour. You come away from this feeling miserable. Expand
filmtrashreviewJul 11, 2011
It's a great film and the latest in the franchise. It's amazing that it is able to still hold it's own after six films. I know it's pretty redundant to say but the film does feel incomplete and because of that it gets a slightly lower score.It's a great film and the latest in the franchise. It's amazing that it is able to still hold it's own after six films. I know it's pretty redundant to say but the film does feel incomplete and because of that it gets a slightly lower score. It is just part one but if you make a film, I expect to see a complete one not just part of one. Expand
Potter17Dec 18, 2011
Beautifully photographed, loaded with a tense, gloomy tone and displaying touching performances of its young leads, the first-half of "Deathly Hallows" serves as a magnificent build-up for the climax of the series .
SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final adventure in the Harry Potter film series, is a much-anticipated motion picture event to be told in two full-length parts. Part 1 begins as Harry, Ron and Hermione set out on theirHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final adventure in the Harry Potter film series, is a much-anticipated motion picture event to be told in two full-length parts. Part 1 begins as Harry, Ron and Hermione set out on their perilous mission to track down and destroy the secret to Voldemort's immortality and destruction--the Horcruxes. On their own, without the guidance of their professors or the protection of Professor Dumbledore, the three friends must now rely on one another more than ever. But there are Dark Forces in their midst that threaten to tear them apart. Meanwhile, the wizarding world has become a dangerous place for all enemies of the Dark Lord. The long-feared war has begun and Voldemort's Death Eaters seize control of the Ministry of Magic and even Hogwarts, terrorizing and arresting anyone who might oppose them. But the one prize they still seek is the one most valuable to Voldemort: Harry Potter. The Chosen One has become the hunted one as the Death Eaters search for Harry with orders to bring him to Voldemort...alive. Harry's only hope is to find the Horcruxes before Voldemort finds him. But as he searches for clues, he uncovers an old and almost forgotten tale--the legend of the Deathly Hallows. And if the legend turns out to be true, it could give Voldemort the ultimate power he seeks. Little does Harry know that his future has already been decided by his past when, on that fateful day, he became "the Boy Who Lived." No longer just a boy, Harry Potter is drawing ever closer to the task for which he has been preparing since the day he first stepped into Hogwarts: the ultimate battle with Voldemort. Expand
MonsieurEamesJul 12, 2012
This film may just be a prelude, but it is an outstanding one. You get a shiver running down your spine at the end, you can just tell what's coming. Boy, did I not want this film to end! The acting is superb, the camera work is beautiful andThis film may just be a prelude, but it is an outstanding one. You get a shiver running down your spine at the end, you can just tell what's coming. Boy, did I not want this film to end! The acting is superb, the camera work is beautiful and the cast continues to charm. What a great series! Expand
MoviebuffreviewJun 19, 2011
Dazzling, emotionally gripping, wonderfully acted, and faithful to the source material, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I is a masterpiece, and is the best Harry Potter film in the series! I can't wait for Part 2 to blow audiences away.
HaithamBayazeedMay 11, 2013
It is better than ever Harry Potter is now finding the evil in himself, and the war that is coming is consuming all, thoughts are playing in characters' minds and Lord Voldemort is getting stronger than ever!
devo-ncJul 22, 2015
At this point in the series I'm fine with a averagely good film, but not one that bores you with nothing actually going on, I don't care what is in the book. If they're goal was to stretch out the final book into 2 films to drag out theAt this point in the series I'm fine with a averagely good film, but not one that bores you with nothing actually going on, I don't care what is in the book. If they're goal was to stretch out the final book into 2 films to drag out the story, there was a missed step taken. Movies are different forms of storytelling that is much quicker, it will never be alike the book because it's a whole different median, at least entertain us with something exciting. Expand
potatoes351Aug 14, 2012
Harry Potter is back and better than ever. The war has consumed all and it hasn't even got going yet. The story to Deathly Hallows is the darkest and most unforgiving of all the Harry Potter stories making it one of the best as it never holdsHarry Potter is back and better than ever. The war has consumed all and it hasn't even got going yet. The story to Deathly Hallows is the darkest and most unforgiving of all the Harry Potter stories making it one of the best as it never holds back. Most of Part I is the trio running and hiding from the dark lord Voldemort but it really brings it close to home, makes it human once again and really fleshes out who the characters really are. Deathly Hallows Part 1 may not be an action heavy film but it is more than absolutely needed. Expand
Annoymous1Jul 10, 2013
Just like the book, but more fancy, exciting, dark and ever yet so entertaining. I admit it's a bit sad to see the house elf Dobby go to his death, but that is how Voldemort works.
Film_Fanatic_15Nov 23, 2010
The biggest issue with the 7th movie is the stupidity that it needs to be split into two. The filmakers were just stalling for the entire film until Voldemort found the object he was desperately trying to find. It was long, the plot had anThe biggest issue with the 7th movie is the stupidity that it needs to be split into two. The filmakers were just stalling for the entire film until Voldemort found the object he was desperately trying to find. It was long, the plot had an inconsistent pace, but was otherwise decent. It was hard to appreciate the beginning of the end for the series, and how the movie's "epicness" was overdone and quickly overated. Although, I do expect part 2 to compensate for the overwhelming "epic" tone and a faster paced, more intelligent plotline that the filmakers lacked in this one. When fans who haven't read the book view this, I expect them to focus on the plot and the mysteries that unfold. As far as i'm concerned, this one became a slight dissapointment as they tried to make it feel big with a lack of a dark score, overdevelopment of characters, which made me feel uneasy. I do expect to give a perfect review for part 2 because of the plotline set in place. Harry, Ron, and Hermoine are no longer in Hogwarts. They are on the search for the horcruxes, and time is closing in on them. Expand
sinadoomSep 28, 2011
By far the most pointless and worst film in the series. Nothing happens apart from in the last 10 minutes. To me this seems like an ellaborate way to make an easy buck off Harry Potter fans without actually making any content that's worthy ofBy far the most pointless and worst film in the series. Nothing happens apart from in the last 10 minutes. To me this seems like an ellaborate way to make an easy buck off Harry Potter fans without actually making any content that's worthy of their money. Expand
DibbHansenJul 14, 2013
The darkest film in the series also contains some of the best and most fresh sequences in the entire series. It has heart, true heart; great direction, fantastic music (Alexandre Desplat is another one of the greatest composers that everThe darkest film in the series also contains some of the best and most fresh sequences in the entire series. It has heart, true heart; great direction, fantastic music (Alexandre Desplat is another one of the greatest composers that ever lived), amazing acting and visuals- this film really does the source material justice by splitting the last book into two. This film really gets you involved emotionally and it delivers, always. It is a fantastic piece of work. Expand
joao1198pedroNov 28, 2013
Cutting the final chapter in two parts made the first one be a little bit without emotion,i'd liked the actuation(just daniel redcliffe that was never so good after all)and it was an good final preparing to the battle.
SonicHD7May 31, 2017
Without the guidance and protection of their professors, Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) begin a mission to destroy the Horcruxes, the sources of Voldemort's immortality. Though they must rely on oneWithout the guidance and protection of their professors, Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) begin a mission to destroy the Horcruxes, the sources of Voldemort's immortality. Though they must rely on one another more than ever, dark forces threaten to tear them apart. Voldemort's Death Eaters have seized control of the Ministry of Magic and Hogwarts, and they are searching for Harry -- even as he and his friends prepare for the ultimate showdown. Expand
scrieciuNov 21, 2010
If your a Harry Potter fan, your gonna like this movie ! If not, you will hate it. Of course, there's a lot of details from the book (for those who had read the books) that weren't in the movie. But the main parts from the story where their,If your a Harry Potter fan, your gonna like this movie ! If not, you will hate it. Of course, there's a lot of details from the book (for those who had read the books) that weren't in the movie. But the main parts from the story where their, which is good. The drama between the characters was perfect. For those you give a bad review of this movie is that they only saw the movies and had never read the books. I recommend to read the books before seeing the movie, because you will understand even better the film and sometimes, the books give more information. I tough it was a great film. Expand
DBPirate1129Jan 11, 2015
Contrary to popular belief, this isn't the worst Potter installment and while it may be slow-paced, it is the most true to the book adaption besides the first two. The Ministry of Magic and Malfoy Manor scenes are true standouts in the series.
JawsPapi87Aug 9, 2011
The only Character driven Harry Potter movie and it was a very good set up for the climactic final installment. The performances by Radcliffe and Grint but mostly Watson were the best in the series
AReviewsJun 25, 2013
This time Harry Potter is different in a good way, it is certainly excellent, by far the best, with some disturbing imagery and scenes, and enchanting over the top action sequences, it is the best one and the most thrilling.
CRLJul 28, 2011
Part I is the best since Azkaban, and shows how great David Yates can be when he's paying attention to the source material instead of doing his own thing. Atmospheric and amazingly detailed, Part I paints the new and oppressive version ofPart I is the best since Azkaban, and shows how great David Yates can be when he's paying attention to the source material instead of doing his own thing. Atmospheric and amazingly detailed, Part I paints the new and oppressive version of the wizarding world with almost macabre beauty, and some of the series' best acting creates one of the most immersive films I've ever seen. Part I doesn't skimp on the emotion either, and sometimes it even delivers a laugh or two. Also, the cinematography was some of the best of the series, and I still can't figure out why it missed out on an Oscar. In the end, the only thing that let Part I down was lack of an ending, but even that doesn't take away from its greatness. Expand
Aaron_WassermanJun 1, 2016
I have enjoyed the darker tone the Potter franchise is taking. But this movie, because it is two parts, is very slow and honestly boring. I feel there is not much going on and it is just a preview for the next movie, and just Warner BrosI have enjoyed the darker tone the Potter franchise is taking. But this movie, because it is two parts, is very slow and honestly boring. I feel there is not much going on and it is just a preview for the next movie, and just Warner Bros collecting cash. Expand
OscarPicks2010Nov 29, 2010
It is a shame that Warner Bros decided to split the franchise into 2 parts, but that was however a very smart move. Even though the movies were made to satisfy the fans, but its main reason was to make more money with Harry, Ron, andIt is a shame that Warner Bros decided to split the franchise into 2 parts, but that was however a very smart move. Even though the movies were made to satisfy the fans, but its main reason was to make more money with Harry, Ron, and Hermoine. We'd watched all three of them grow for a decade, now to think that they're all adults and the franchise is going to be over soon, it is an odd feeling to say the least. The wizard world is corrupting because Lord Voldemort is back with his powers. Even the Ministry of Magic has to hide. The movie takes us on a journey with the three friends rather than giving us a battle between Harry and Voldemort. This is the number one reason fans are complaining about: there wasn't enough action and adventure. But in my opinion, the movie is just building tension for the next one. Even though the film doesn't give much on action, the acting is perfectly where we want it. The three friends give it their all but standing out is Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort) and his evil companion Bellatrix (Helena Bonham Carter). The make-up part in the franchise is always mesmerizing to see. These artists must've worked really hard to have Voldemort's face looked like that! Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 1 does not disappoints at all, not with its fine acting and brilliant make-up. Expand
RoscoMay 25, 2011
A spectacular return to form for the Potter series in what is arguably the best film of the franchise. A much darker outing than previous installments resulting in a more direct approach all the light-hearted and cheerful themes are long goneA spectacular return to form for the Potter series in what is arguably the best film of the franchise. A much darker outing than previous installments resulting in a more direct approach all the light-hearted and cheerful themes are long gone bar a few funny comments to break the ice at times. Part 1 of The Deathly Hallows picks up from were The Half Prince left off with Harry, Hermione and Ron on the search of Horcruxes to bring and end to Voldemort once and for all. The start is frantic and doesn't mess around with a chase through London very well shown as the dark forces hunt for Potter. However very quickly the focus switches purely to the Harry and co and their quest for the Horcruxes. I was worried about the setting as for the first time in a film Hogwarts is not at the heart of things but any doubts I had were soon forgotten and thus really drives at home that the protection they were all once under is truely gone! The search for Horcruxes sees Harry, Ron and Hermione face danger at every turn they, under false identites, head to an infiltrated Ministry. However their quest takes its tole as the effects of a Horcrux are shown by Ron who wonders off half way threw. During this a clever scene involving Harry and Hermione dancing which was a great inculsion to lighten the tone ever so slightly. When Weasley eventually returns it leads to the destruction of a Horcrux but leads to the unravelling of an old myth - The Deathly Hallows. As the pieces of the puzzle begin to fall into place Harry is now aware of exactly what Voldemort is after. The climax to Part 1 left us with a teary-eyed goodbye to an old favourite and with a minor cliffhanger setting things up perfectly for the enevitable emotional finale and the final chapter of an epic series. Part 2 can't come quick enough! Expand
adw55125Jul 3, 2017
The end is near, and this delivers on the danger these characters are in that the previous did not. What I mainly want to praise here is these actors. They are incredible every single one of them. I am so compelled by these characters that IThe end is near, and this delivers on the danger these characters are in that the previous did not. What I mainly want to praise here is these actors. They are incredible every single one of them. I am so compelled by these characters that I was totally happy with sitting through the down points and seeing the tension grow between these characters, But it isn't nearly as exciting as some of the others, but enjoyable none the less. Expand
AaronWasserman1Mar 27, 2016
forestvilleMar 30, 2013
This movie gives a real impression, really, but there are many details that make this not quite good.
It has a good start, a good fight to avoid boredom aerial fast.
The film is very tense and accelerated to give you that excitement comes
It has a good start, a good fight to avoid boredom aerial fast.
The film is very tense and accelerated to give you that excitement comes from despair and anxiety, but the pace has accelerated, many incoherent things about the plot, I will not say them because if you read the book and see the movie you can give cueta what they are. It incoeherente with the series, not the movie itself.
The acting is good but many of the cast are still acting like it's supposed to be your scene, many scenes are very raw and should act as unique are the three main characters really were glorious this time, they have proven to the world grandeur film but the ones I liked were Rupert Grint and Emma Watson really make the viewer feel that anguish, fear and fury of that journey to defeat the Dark Lord, but the rest of the cast does not align very well and paper consumption that's a good problem.
The special effects are good, make it look all relista movie, the music is good but loose, is very good and disturbing scenes with street style and adult can enjoy especially people who do not usually like this kind of movies Adaptation is the best of the series, even if inconsistent with the series, but ruling that the film is consistent with itself, arguably no need to read the first part of the book, only if you do not want to confuse you with the characters but generally not necessary.
It is a good movie worth watching all the public, is entertaining and is the most mature of the entire Harry Potter series. You must see it.
My Score: 8.0
AaronWasserman2May 4, 2014
Everything is different now, the trio is on the run having to survive on there own. Things are very dark and more adult themed in part 1. While the film takes a while to build the performances are what is so good about this film, the actionEverything is different now, the trio is on the run having to survive on there own. Things are very dark and more adult themed in part 1. While the film takes a while to build the performances are what is so good about this film, the action is enjoyable as well. But Deathly Hallows 1 does have a long down time....as personal drama comes between the trio...then picks up for an epic part 1 finally that leaves you craving part 2. Expand
ImUnavailableMay 12, 2011
This is a strange movie to review. It is based on half a book so you can't fault the movie for having no real conclusion or resolution. The first half of any story is usually comprised of the build-up before the big finale and that's whatThis is a strange movie to review. It is based on half a book so you can't fault the movie for having no real conclusion or resolution. The first half of any story is usually comprised of the build-up before the big finale and that's what this movie is. It's a build-up, and cannot stand on its own until the second part is released. Part 1 is a movie with flaws, the biggest of which is its pacing problems. The first 40 minutes are action packed and frantic but soon things slow down and stay that way for most of the movie. I don't want to judge Part 1 too harshly for this, however, because it is in the unfortunate position of being one half of an adventure. Other than that, I found this movie very enjoyable, with all three leads giving their best performances of the series so far. The emotional toll and tensions of life on the run were well-handled and made for a more mature movie. As I mentioned, Part 1 is a strange movie to review. To enjoy it, the viewer must accept the compromises the filmmakers had to make. Expand
jfrotylpe532Dec 21, 2012
3 words describe this movie. So damn exciting.
RyanGeeNov 20, 2010
It is genuinely difficult to evaluate only half of a movie; How can one fully know what to think of a movie when there is practically no ending? This is the same notion I had after watching Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1. WhileIt is genuinely difficult to evaluate only half of a movie; How can one fully know what to think of a movie when there is practically no ending? This is the same notion I had after watching Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1. While some directors (i.e Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill Series) have succeeded in filming parts by making arguably standalone films, director David Yates creates a film that seems more of a commercial ploy than a full epic.

Lets set aside this relevant ramble and actually evaluate the part of The Deathly Hallows that audiences can watch. As you may know, The Deathly Hallows is the seventh and final film of the "generation-defining" series of wizards and magic. In this final film, Harry Potter and his friends, the Order of the Phoenix, attempt to find parts of Voldemort's soul in order to destroy the villain once and for all. From the opening moments of the film, to the screams of the death eaters to the scene where Hermoine is erasing her existence from the Muggle world, it is obvious that the film is the darkest and most mature of the series. From the introductory point where Harry Potter escapes from Voldomort's gang, the film basically focuses on the gang as they travel one place to another searching for the vital "hockruxes".

Since the film's focus mainly depicts the gang traveling far away from Hogwarts, much of the series's literal and figurative magic is lacking in the film. The film drags on with dreary character development (even though it's the 7th film) and plot exposition rather than the magic that the film is known for. There are some standout scenes, such as the exciting infiltration into the ministry of wizards, that are splendid, but the charm of the entire film is limiting. Moving on to more technical aspects, the beautiful cinematography seen in The Half Blood Prince is obviously absent in this film. There were many shots and environments that really stood out in the prior film, and The Deathly Hallows has a lack of those moments.

While this review might sound like it is deriving from a snobby and pretentious critic, it is understood that Harry Potter is for the fans. So will the fans enjoy the final conclusion of the film? Yes, The Deathly Hallows stays true to the series. Several moments of the film are exciting, suspenseful, and ultimately entertaining. Although it is dull at points, there is a certain suspense that keeps the audience hanging on for more, and that is where the film exceeds. The exhilaration that is created by some of the standout moments is worth a watch and makes The Deathly Hallows almost the epic it wants to be.

Overall, if you are willing to pay full price for half of a film, then Deathly Hallows will somewhat deliver. Much of the film is splendid and exciting, while some of the portions seem as if they were just added in order to unnecessarily extend the film (you can say it "stays true to the novel" if you please). It does not match the excellence of last year's Half Blood Prince, but it is still a quality entry for the series. Even though there are some complaints, the Deathly Hallows executes well enough for the audience to come back. Just to repeat my heed of warning, The Deathly Hallows is an incomplete film, primarily only true fans will be fully content with their ticket purchase. The rest will probably feel "jipped" and unsatisfied. Grade: C+q
David_HDec 29, 2010
I should have known better when I attempted to read the book a couple years ago. it drug on so painfully slow I had tog give it up about three quarters of the way through. This movie was the same way; so incredibly slow and drawn out, weI should have known better when I attempted to read the book a couple years ago. it drug on so painfully slow I had tog give it up about three quarters of the way through. This movie was the same way; so incredibly slow and drawn out, we walked out of the theatre before it was finished. Some of the earlier Harry Potter movies were entertaining but I definitely cannot recommend this one. The sad thing is there will be a Part 2 to this movie, which I will certainly not bother to see. Expand
nboley08Nov 20, 2010
I think what "Deathy Hallows Part One" does more than any other HP movie is proves how successful this series is. This isn't a great movie, but it's a good one, yet because its predecessors were so fantastic we see it as a disappointment.I think what "Deathy Hallows Part One" does more than any other HP movie is proves how successful this series is. This isn't a great movie, but it's a good one, yet because its predecessors were so fantastic we see it as a disappointment. People may not like "Deathy Hallows Part One" that much because it has a cliffhanger ending and it doesnt do much in a rather long running span, but give it this; this movie is rarely dull (I only checked the time once; near the end of that long camping trip) and it's quite beautiful at times with some really tender moments. I believe it's best to wait until Part Two comes out in order to properly judge Part One. Remember, many people disliked Kill Bill Vol. 1 when it first came out, until Vol. 2 came in and blew everyone away. Expand
jwt7000Dec 30, 2011
Perhaps the most boring Harry Potter movie ever, if only the book hadn't mentioned the boring parts in the middle. Despite splitting the movie into two parts, it should have merged this one with part 2, eliminate the tedious scenes and maybePerhaps the most boring Harry Potter movie ever, if only the book hadn't mentioned the boring parts in the middle. Despite splitting the movie into two parts, it should have merged this one with part 2, eliminate the tedious scenes and maybe create a over 3-hour epic finale as one movie. Even the time setting shouldn't be in months, but should be in days. Expand
RazvDec 18, 2010
I've never been a fan of these series and i don't know if that changes my opinion, but i did not like it. Except for some funny little jokes here and there, the movie was terrible. The plot simple and uninteresting, the characters were notI've never been a fan of these series and i don't know if that changes my opinion, but i did not like it. Except for some funny little jokes here and there, the movie was terrible. The plot simple and uninteresting, the characters were not well developed(except for the sense of humor they all seem to poses) and the graphics were average, not bad, but average. Maybe if i was a fan of the series and knew the whole story, maybe then i would've liked it, but i'm not, and the movie disappointed me. Expand
JudddyNov 19, 2010
Fans will love this film. It's action packed and very emotional, and is the perfect appetiser for Part 2. Non-fans may be confused, but it's so well filmed that it should be appreciated nonetheless.
BartNov 21, 2010
By far the worst HP film yet! Way too much exposition. Lets take five minutes to focus on HP getting a hair cut. I guess they spent all of the budget on SPFX, as they clearly could not afford an editor! I could have chopped the film downBy far the worst HP film yet! Way too much exposition. Lets take five minutes to focus on HP getting a hair cut. I guess they spent all of the budget on SPFX, as they clearly could not afford an editor! I could have chopped the film down to 20 minutes, if not less. The last film should have been one part, not two. The idea to ake it two parts was clearly a studio idea to make more money. Expand
HPFANBOY1237Apr 9, 2017
Deathly Hallows Part 1 feels disjointed at times and is slow, but it is gritty and dark and mostly enjoyable the whole way through. Definitely one of the weakest entries in the series.
marnee96Nov 4, 2011
The story is compelling and thrilling, the characters are well developed and expertly acted. Although, my only problem with this is that the pace can be a little too quick, thus, certain bits of the story feel rushed and are quite confusingThe story is compelling and thrilling, the characters are well developed and expertly acted. Although, my only problem with this is that the pace can be a little too quick, thus, certain bits of the story feel rushed and are quite confusing for those who haven't read the book. 3/4 stars. Expand
GavGav96Dec 4, 2010
After spending 6 movies of keeping the film within the same boundaries over and over, this prelude delivers slick animation, plot exploration, and war-like action that all give the audience the sensation of stretching your spine after gettingAfter spending 6 movies of keeping the film within the same boundaries over and over, this prelude delivers slick animation, plot exploration, and war-like action that all give the audience the sensation of stretching your spine after getting out of bed. Expand
KendylKlownfishMar 5, 2011
Even for unfamiliar audiences, The Deathly Hallows packs enough action, laughs, and drama to sporadically entertain and garner itself an even larger fan base.
TheMudDoctorAug 26, 2011
The Harry Potter films are the highest grossing film franchise of all time. This is precisely why when I heard that the final of J.K. Rowlingâ
sreekiranMay 22, 2011
harry potter and the deathly hallows, is the pen ultimate installation of the series. dividing into two parts was considered since it has lot to say explain and deliver the things. the first half here explains the situation is getting worse.harry potter and the deathly hallows, is the pen ultimate installation of the series. dividing into two parts was considered since it has lot to say explain and deliver the things. the first half here explains the situation is getting worse. dark lord rising and awaiting for an occasion to find harry potter and kill him. meanwhile the whereabouts of the people are getting worse. some attacks at every instant reflects that it is no longer safe to be here. so where do they go? definitely one place, the order of phoenix headquarters. there they find a clue and things move on here. but sooner or later, jungle enters into life and emotions touch their lives and characters split apart and harry desperate to finish this off. in his quest, he finds the sword of griffindoor and something unexpected happens. a real turn back here and some regular touches and revealing a riveting climax. of course the loss of one dearest friend. take a seat back and relax for first 10 min till the proceedings begin. no sooner , one will hook up straight from then till the end of first half. of course some anguish, jealousy would reflect that it is taking a wild turn here. but sooner the qualities disappear and it builds up for riveting climax. the last 20 minutes has lot to see and stick to the seats. no where to relax. direction and screenplay takes a next level in this franchise and reflects the best filming here with everything at appropriate levels. opening scene and last scene are surely stunners and way to begin and end. lead cast performances by daniel radcilffe emma watson and rupert grint are always the best. they are matured and emotions oh my god!! that is really good here. ralph fiennes as deadly voldemort is good and grint evil smile surely will do the sayings oh he is the bad guy here! rest characters are supportive and useful for the narrative. there was some confusion for non book readers about the film, but surely the second half has answers for everything. the chase, the initial sky battle and the infiltration in the ministry are the best action sequences one can never get. the camera work is way too fast here, but it is required for the action to build up. cinematography is awesome here. every frame is dark, bright and of course darker. some visuals are stunning here. during action scenes, you would enjoy the work surely. editing was a bit problem in first 30 min with sufficed scenes that might bore a bit. but the later part picks up and gives a spine ride. dialogs are good and sometimes commendable too. overall we got here a perfect drama set up in the cities and dark forests, rich with colors and action performances and darker with deadly death eaters. one of the best in the harry potter franchise. i am waiting for the last part!!! Expand
MovieMan12Jun 28, 2013
Worst movie my eyes have every laid eyes on. I hate this series, and this one explains exactly how bad the rest of them are. Uggg. why do people like this crap.
skanteaNov 30, 2010
I'm not sure if I even have the right to comment as this film isn't even in the same universe of what I normally pay to see. However as someone who enjoys films where the point is NOT to turn of your brain and escape but to turn on yourI'm not sure if I even have the right to comment as this film isn't even in the same universe of what I normally pay to see. However as someone who enjoys films where the point is NOT to turn of your brain and escape but to turn on your brain and enjoy the herculean efforts of fine artists at their peak, I may as well impart an opinion for those of you who were similarly dragged to see it (or will be).
First, It's a kids movie. Don't let adult fans tell you different. If they need an excuse to regress to a child like state, let them have it but don't walk in expecting the 'magic' to work for you. Similarly, don't expect to understand it if you haven't read the book - it doesn't really matter as the plot is just a mish-mash of a dozen things you've seen a dozen times. Many holes you'll see will be glaring and unexplained, while at other points the set up will be so ham handed you'll see the twist coming from well before mesmerized audience surrounding you. Try not to laugh as something so obvious to you causes others to gasp and tear up. Bottom line, it's sometimes cute but mostly dull, uninspired and overlong by about 45 minutes (one movie stretched into two to double the profits - Smart!). If you find yourself nodding, you can try amusing yourself by marking the consistently odd tendency for the 'spells' to be monstrously difficult when doing something easy, yet simple as breathing when attempting the monumental.
muzzikloverDec 15, 2010
This is how you do a Harry Potter film. After being completely disappointed by the mess that is Half-Blood Prince, the first part of the Harry Potter finale is a must see. Its more carefully paced, more well acted and its as dark as it canThis is how you do a Harry Potter film. After being completely disappointed by the mess that is Half-Blood Prince, the first part of the Harry Potter finale is a must see. Its more carefully paced, more well acted and its as dark as it can be. This film will completely make you wait in agony for the second part. It's that good. Expand
moviefreak12Nov 20, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the deathly hallows was different then i thought coming in into it. There was alot of down time then i execpted, but that is fine cause they filled it with some good conversations and diologe. also movie i though it would go very slow cause of the 2:30 min run time but supriseingly it went pretty fast. The acting was great, and the dark tone was a nice touch it made me really feel for the characters exspecaly at the part where herminny was getting torcherd it really made me sad for her. Expand