7.6

1. Jan 11, 2015
    Contrary to popular belief, this isn't the worst Potter installment and while it may be slow-paced, it is the most true to the book adaption besides the first two. The Ministry of Magic and Malfoy Manor scenes are true standouts in the series.
  2. Dec 8, 2014
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I is one of the most satisfying entries into the franchise. The action scenes are dark, violent and scary and the emotional core of the film runs higher than before. That said, there is also time for some extremely fun old-school style Potter too, most notably in the Ministry of Magic infiltration sequence. All in all, this is truly one of theHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I is one of the most satisfying entries into the franchise. The action scenes are dark, violent and scary and the emotional core of the film runs higher than before. That said, there is also time for some extremely fun old-school style Potter too, most notably in the Ministry of Magic infiltration sequence. All in all, this is truly one of the best Potter films. Expand
  3. Oct 18, 2014
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final adventure in the Harry Potter film series, is a much-anticipated motion picture event to be told in two full-length parts. Part 1 begins as Harry, Ron and Hermione set out on their perilous mission to track down and destroy the secret to Voldemort's immortality and destruction--the Horcruxes. On their own, without the guidance ofHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final adventure in the Harry Potter film series, is a much-anticipated motion picture event to be told in two full-length parts. Part 1 begins as Harry, Ron and Hermione set out on their perilous mission to track down and destroy the secret to Voldemort's immortality and destruction--the Horcruxes. On their own, without the guidance of their professors or the protection of Professor Dumbledore, the three friends must now rely on one another more than ever. But there are Dark Forces in their midst that threaten to tear them apart. Meanwhile, the wizarding world has become a dangerous place for all enemies of the Dark Lord. The long-feared war has begun and Voldemort's Death Eaters seize control of the Ministry of Magic and even Hogwarts, terrorizing and arresting anyone who might oppose them. But the one prize they still seek is the one most valuable to Voldemort: Harry Potter. The Chosen One has become the hunted one as the Death Eaters search for Harry with orders to bring him to Voldemort...alive. Harry's only hope is to find the Horcruxes before Voldemort finds him. But as he searches for clues, he uncovers an old and almost forgotten tale--the legend of the Deathly Hallows. And if the legend turns out to be true, it could give Voldemort the ultimate power he seeks. Little does Harry know that his future has already been decided by his past when, on that fateful day, he became "the Boy Who Lived." No longer just a boy, Harry Potter is drawing ever closer to the task for which he has been preparing since the day he first stepped into Hogwarts: the ultimate battle with Voldemort. Expand
  4. Sep 26, 2014
    This movie must be the most boring of the series after the order of the phoenix. Is extremely bored and pathetic. I'm not recommend it or fans of the saga.
  5. Aug 25, 2014
    I will admit my dislike for David Yates' previous work with the Harry Potter series, but I found this to be more than redemption. A unbelievable prologue to the final installment--it's remarkable and a return to form.
  6. Aug 24, 2014
    This was the first time I read the book before seeing a Harry Potter film. I am yet to decide whether it worked against me or not, to have that prior experience of the story. I was not sure what to expect, so I didn't expect much (just in case). I wasn't prepared to be this disappointed, however.

In the book, there are a lot of pages (anyone who has read it or even seen it knows that). There are also a lot of smaller and bigger events that gradually add to the big picture. Small details that fill the void around the main events. While I found the book dragging and a bit boring at places, I still expected them to make the film do something good with it.

What happens here is that they set off with zero warning or explanation (having read the book I had some kind of idea of what was going on, but otherwise the events stayed quote hollow if you view the film alone, lacking the emotional impact).

The film dashes from one scene to the next. People show up, old and new, hear news, move forward, from one place to the next. The characters don't work, the plot is too jerky to really make sense, and I had the feeling that had I not read the book, I would not have had any idea about half the stuff taking place on he screen and what certain comments between characters meant.

The fighting scenes were very fast and flashy; the camera kept moving, making me almost nauseous. It was hard to tell who they were following, where they were running, and exactly who was shooting spells at whom. Sure, that's realistic, but it's also in the power of a film to step out of that hectic-ness and show us, in outsider's perspective, what is really going on. To enjoy the moment rather than rush through it.

If the second part of the movie is going to be like this, I'm not going to look forward to it all that much. I feel like they tampered too much with the original so that they could get ahead fast. Sure, fast is good sometimes, if you're dealing multiple storylines, but this felt more like fast-forwarding and dropping out everything that could be dropped, costing some information that seemed rather important in the book and robbing the film of any real emotional charge: the characters had no time to work, and their moods felt unjustified. Angry, sad, joyous... it was hard to follow why exactly each and every one of those emotions took place.

Not my favorite Potter movie. In fact, this might end up being my least favorite one, simply because they butchered any chance at good story-telling by rushing forward, bringing in ingredients from the book and simply making a mess of it.

Three stars for the movie looking good and the small moments of stillness that made sense, but... that's about it.
  7. Jul 27, 2014
    The pacing of this movie is super slow, making the film ultra boring. There is barely any plot in this movie. Nearly 0 action / intense moment. I almost fell asleep when it is about 1 hour. A total waste of time. I expect much much more from this movie. It is very disappointing.
  8. Jun 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wish the movies would do the same job in concluding the Harry Potter series when the book did. Yes, it was satisfying, but nothing can beat the book.

As with the changes, I am mostly okay with it but I am still sad because without these changes, the movies would be more funner.

The only change I am not okay with Harry dancing with Hermione in Part 1. David Yates, your Harmione is showing. That is not okay at all. But at least you made it up with Ron and Hermione kissing in Part 2.

The special effects is up-par with this one. Very realistic and breath-taking.

The performances from the cast delivered their swan song to the Harry Potter series. Of course, it seems like the cast were born to play their roles which is great as I will always remember them as their roles.

The pace is action-packed and fast in Part 2. I wished the battle between Harry and Voldemort took place in the Great Hall because I want to see everyone to cheer for Harry.

Lastly, while they did make some cuts, I am glad they did not skim the entire book and it used its two parts wisely.

While it still didn't do justice to the book, the 2-part movie adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will satisfy both the fans of the book and the non-fans, which they will additionally enjoy the character development, performances and the special effects.
  9. May 4, 2014
    Everything is different now, the trio is on the run having to survive on there own. Things are very dark and more adult themed in part 1. While the film takes a while to build the performances are what is so good about this film, the action is enjoyable as well. But Deathly Hallows 1 does have a long down time....as personal drama comes between the trio...then picks up for an epic part 1Everything is different now, the trio is on the run having to survive on there own. Things are very dark and more adult themed in part 1. While the film takes a while to build the performances are what is so good about this film, the action is enjoyable as well. But Deathly Hallows 1 does have a long down time....as personal drama comes between the trio...then picks up for an epic part 1 finally that leaves you craving part 2. Expand
  10. Mar 15, 2014
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 also bravely faces the future, slipping with expert ease among the thrilling mass of complications (and complicated set pieces) that Rowling throws fans in the final sprint, then guiding the faithful to the fate that awaits everyone in this world, the moment called The End.
  11. Feb 19, 2014
    A mysterious movie that has entertaining scenes and an spectacular story.

A mysterious movie that has entertaining scenes and an spectacular story.

The opening scene in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I is great and exciting. The movie is very well made and the actors couldn't have been more awesome as they are, and the story is spectacular. The movie also contains some humorous scenes that I really enjoyed. The negative things about this movie is that it contains to much slow scenes that doesn't got a high amount of action, which made it a little boring. Another bad thing is that the movie itself didn't contain anything new or spectacular, and I think it might could have happened more in this movie, but also that the music could have been more touching.
    Even though this movie contains slowness is it still a great movie, because it got an awesome ending and the movie overall felt mysterious well made.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I gets a 8/10
  12. Jan 13, 2014
    The film may be too complex to grasp the first time watching it and also doesn't exactly spare clichés and silly exposition conversations, yet is still a rich and multiply-layered film that succeeds in including all the necessary genres and making it seem genuine. All of this is due to a top-notch crew and a huge gathering of immensely talented British actors, this time expanded by BillThe film may be too complex to grasp the first time watching it and also doesn't exactly spare clichés and silly exposition conversations, yet is still a rich and multiply-layered film that succeeds in including all the necessary genres and making it seem genuine. All of this is due to a top-notch crew and a huge gathering of immensely talented British actors, this time expanded by Bill Nighy and Rhys Ifans above others. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 is intense, moving, and highly entertaining and serves as a perfect set-up for the finale of this fantastic franchise. Expand
  13. Nov 28, 2013
    Cutting the final chapter in two parts made the first one be a little bit without emotion,i'd liked the actuation(just daniel redcliffe that was never so good after all)and it was an good final preparing to the battle.
  14. Nov 17, 2013
    Harry Potter has a seventh crack at success.
    Although not very much excitement or as much entertainment do to this somewhat anti climatic film, it still succeeds with a good story. By splitting the book into two parts the movie ends at an odd cliff hanger that wouldn't have been acceptable with the other films.
  15. Nov 1, 2013
    "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is directed once again by David Yates. He gives us the action sequences early in the film but slowly becomes a slightly dull camping sequence where not much is happening. However, the film ends with the perfect cliffhanger, making us anxious for the final film in the Harry Potter series.
  16. Oct 24, 2013
    'Deathly Hallows: Part I' is an incredibly well-acted and visually stunning precursor to the franchise's final installment and serves as a tense character-driven penultimate film. However, it can't help but feel like an obvious prelude.
  17. Sep 8, 2013
    There are people that think that this one is bad because of its slow pace. Honestly, I think it works well for what it has to offer. Probably not the best place for a slow Harry Potter story, but for sure picks it up in the end, along with a sad death scene. Overall, slow is the case for making Part 1 of the big finale work. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" forThere are people that think that this one is bad because of its slow pace. Honestly, I think it works well for what it has to offer. Probably not the best place for a slow Harry Potter story, but for sure picks it up in the end, along with a sad death scene. Overall, slow is the case for making Part 1 of the big finale work. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Expand
  18. Jul 17, 2013
    The penultimate entry and the first half of the final book of the massive Harry Potter franchise is truly the best for so many reasons, its well-paced, its real, its frightening but most of all, its human. It is truly heart-wrenching, emotionally exhausting but brings these characters to full light and makes us realise why we care for them so much.
    The wizarding world is in a true form of
    The wizarding world is in a true form of terror, murder, abduction and general abandonment, Harry and his friends have decided not to return to Hogwarts but instead search for the remaining Horcruxes that Lord Voldemort uses to split his soul, therefore he cannot die. But their journey is of course the hardest challenge they have ever had to face, after the tragic events of the sixth film they are very much alone. The absence of help, and their limited knowledge on what exactly they are looking for puts a strain on the once foolproof friendship of our hero, Ron and Hermione. Ron is growing increasingly frustrated with Harry's lack of results, while Hermione simply doesn't know which side to take.
    The film visits many avenues it hasn't gone to before, we see scenes included that were not even in the book, yet fit so perfectly within the film, its a story of perseverance and loyalty, but also a journey into the unknown, so trust is in there too. The fact that there are less characters for a better part of the film outlines the strength these three unlikely heroes can carry, with superb acting, particularly that of Emma Watson, who leaves behind the know it all schoolgirl and becomes the mothering, edgy and loveable female of the trio, holding the other two together and making sure they are always looking ahead.
    The heartache and depth of drama unfold as the film goes on, but it is the humanly touch of seemingly everything that we see, Harry visiting the grave of his parents, Hermione reminiscing about going on holiday with her parents, whose memories of herself she erased, these, while magical and part of the books, seem so down to earth that there is a unique and almost vulnerable feel to the film, and while obviously not clear to anyone who joins the franchise this late on, it could stand on its own as a perfect pre- swan song.
    Certainly the most emotional journey of the lot, with some excellent effects and landscapes put in as Harry and his friends travel across the country.
    Well acted and superbly tied in to be the first half of the end, probably the best to date.
  19. Jul 14, 2013
    The darkest film in the series also contains some of the best and most fresh sequences in the entire series. It has heart, true heart; great direction, fantastic music (Alexandre Desplat is another one of the greatest composers that ever lived), amazing acting and visuals- this film really does the source material justice by splitting the last book into two. This film really gets youThe darkest film in the series also contains some of the best and most fresh sequences in the entire series. It has heart, true heart; great direction, fantastic music (Alexandre Desplat is another one of the greatest composers that ever lived), amazing acting and visuals- this film really does the source material justice by splitting the last book into two. This film really gets you involved emotionally and it delivers, always. It is a fantastic piece of work. Expand
  20. Jul 12, 2013
    "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is darker than ever, but unlike Part 2, it has issues with its usage of deep dark depth in its plotting. The film is still interesting enough to watch, and as a Harry Potter fan, I thought they managed to pull parts off well, but I thought that the book it portrayed did a much better job hooking readers, as did the film hooked audiences. The"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is darker than ever, but unlike Part 2, it has issues with its usage of deep dark depth in its plotting. The film is still interesting enough to watch, and as a Harry Potter fan, I thought they managed to pull parts off well, but I thought that the book it portrayed did a much better job hooking readers, as did the film hooked audiences. The film does have a lovely soundtrack that fits the darker tone and in all honesty, it is a wonderful film to watch. Expand
  21. Jul 12, 2013
    Disappointing. Sucks the utter life out of this finale. Part 1 begins with an exciting tone, but continues to disappoint and surprisingly drags to a state beyond any form of dullness in movies. Leaving unexcited, confused, and not knowing what to think. Giving it time for the movie to settle in, it begins to stick. It had by far the best level of acting from the main three so far in theDisappointing. Sucks the utter life out of this finale. Part 1 begins with an exciting tone, but continues to disappoint and surprisingly drags to a state beyond any form of dullness in movies. Leaving unexcited, confused, and not knowing what to think. Giving it time for the movie to settle in, it begins to stick. It had by far the best level of acting from the main three so far in the series. As well as the manner in which the reminiscent elements and major plot points were visualized gave it somewhat an unforgettable essence. In combination, the two parts probably deliver the ultimate Potter conclusion harmoniously. But as being a part of a movie doesn't take away the fact this will be treated as a movie by itself. This movie alone, made well, just stalls the flow of the story. It needs some push, some audacity, some passion. With some interesting elements in the story and something unforgettably alluring in its tone and filmmaking, making some powerful moments, this altogether is a molding story that drags to a dud and sucks the utter life and excitement out of this finale. It's shrieking for Del Torro's pizzazz. In spite of, overdue David Yates synthesizes a thoroughly sauteed and seared production, but lacks any density of zest, or moxie, or hurrah. A bitterly soulless Potter film with no magic, yet still a ravishing and stimulating & extraordinary vision. Expand
  22. Jul 10, 2013
    Just like the book, but more fancy, exciting, dark and ever yet so entertaining. I admit it's a bit sad to see the house elf Dobby go to his death, but that is how Voldemort works.
  23. Jun 28, 2013
    Worst movie my eyes have every laid eyes on. I hate this series, and this one explains exactly how bad the rest of them are. Uggg. why do people like this crap.
  24. Jun 25, 2013
    This time Harry Potter is different in a good way, it is certainly excellent, by far the best, with some disturbing imagery and scenes, and enchanting over the top action sequences, it is the best one and the most thrilling.
  25. Jun 14, 2013
    A very well done movie road.

A very well done movie road.

The first time I saw HP7 Part 1 liked, loved the second, and I must say it was a great movie, great moments from the great effect at the Battle of the Seven Potters scene in the ministry, until the death of Dobby, great track sonoroa made the cast remains good, Emma Watson stands out among the trio, film photography is brilliant as that of HP6 and script does not fail at all, only I forgot to say that the scenes of Hogwarts, but because not only I but like all fans also wanted to have seen what was happening at Hogwarts while the trio was on the road.
  26. Jun 11, 2013
    One of the best harry potter movie. Had action and great fantasy .The plot was good and the actors as usual great.
  27. May 31, 2013
    This is my favorite film in the franchise. Any Harry Potter fan who doesn't like this movie is just downright crazy. The action sequences were great and the movie was very similar to the book. I remember watching this in theaters and I was just blown away. The acting was great and the suspense will have you at the edge of your seat.
  28. May 21, 2013
    This movie was dreadfully boring and a poor adaptation of the book. This could have been a very unique movie that could have been wonderfully directed with style, but everything fell flat. Hugely disappointing on too many levels.
  29. May 19, 2013
    This movie is an absolute waste of time. Nothing happens except you waste more than 2 hours of your life watching complete darkness and hearing nothing. Too many times people are sitting around and doing nothing. Just get to part 2 and stop with this nonsense.
  30. May 12, 2013
    This is really depressing because I want to say that this was an awesome movie. It’s a great story and the best in the series. The director does a good job of recapping the story getting rid of anything that is not too necessary. However, this is his biggest flaw. Because everything is to the point nothing is really developed because everything that made the book good and created tensionThis is really depressing because I want to say that this was an awesome movie. It’s a great story and the best in the series. The director does a good job of recapping the story getting rid of anything that is not too necessary. However, this is his biggest flaw. Because everything is to the point nothing is really developed because everything that made the book good and created tension isn’t there. Nonetheless, there are some good moments in it but once again they are very brief and don’t last long. In short while Deathly Hallows Part 1 is good movie it suffers because of the very nature of tale it is trying to retell. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Andrea Gronvall
    Dec 8, 2010
    The best portion is an animated story-within-the-story, supervised by Ben Hibon, that recalls Lotte Reiniger's filigreed shadow puppets as it sets the stage for armageddon.
  2. Reviewed by: Kenneth Turan
    Dec 8, 2010
    To be fair to Deathly Hallows, the filmmakers have tried hard to fill the proceedings with battles and chases and debilitating curses. Genuine filmmaking excitement, however, is harder to provide.
    I hope that in Part 2, Yates and screenwriter Steve Kloves give Fiennes a better send-off than Dame J.K. did in her less-than-wizardly climactic wandathon. Having made us sit through two and a half hours with no payoff, they'd better not go all Muggle on us. Next time, we want magic, people.