7.6

1. Jul 16, 2016
    I was so hyped for this movie after watching the Half-Blood Prince. It was still a great movie but it wasn't excellent either. Sure, the visual effects and acting were great, but the plot had several holes and the tone was too dour. You come away from this feeling miserable.
  2. Jun 5, 2016
    This movie is of course the setup for the last movie. And that causes things to go really slow, since one book is spread out over two lengthy movies.
    This movie starts off really promising, lots of action and excitement, but then it slows down and repetitiveness starts to occur. Lots of scenes where not too much happens fill most of the run-time of this movie. and during the few action scenes this movie has to offer there is little to no music, also some lazy writing with too much coincidences is again a fact. But the performances and the cinematography are amazing. And even though there is slow pacing this movie still can be very entertaining at some parts.
    And tells a very decent part of the story with some decent character development.
  3. Jun 1, 2016
    I have enjoyed the darker tone the Potter franchise is taking. But this movie, because it is two parts, is very slow and honestly boring. I feel there is not much going on and it is just a preview for the next movie, and just Warner Bros collecting cash.
  4. May 29, 2016
    ABSURDO, BLASFEMIA, HERESIA NÃO TEREM POSTO O MONSTRO BATENDO NO MUNDUNGO FLETCHER COM UMA CAÇAROLA EU VOU CHAMA E=MEUS ADVOGADOS DA ALEMANHA AA A AA TODO MUNDO KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK CENA ÉPICA QUE INFELIZMENTE SÓ TEM NO LIVRO
  5. Apr 17, 2016
    Excellent addition to the Potter franchise and a huge step up from the Half-Blood Prince which lacked so much!

The music is disappointing with Desplat's promise of using John William's themes as they have been so unused in the last three films but he broke it and the actual Harry Potter theme had more or less of a cameo during the traditional sky writing title credits. The visual

The visual effects are at their best since Prisoner of Azkaban, the art direction is fab and the cinematography is good too!
  6. Mar 27, 2016
  7. Jan 20, 2016
    Before the epic conclusion comes, this "Deathly Treatment" tells us that Harry Potter's coming to an end way before Part 2 came out. It's Part 2 that was better than this, but it's still good anyways.
  8. Jan 8, 2016
    Harry Potter final and a half installment not only deals with more character emotions but has a well developed story that justifies the need to split the final book into two films. Also it previews in a sequence whats to follow in a great manner.
  9. Nov 18, 2015
    The best Harry Potter film in my opinion! It is obvious that this one is pretty heavy on dialogue and not so much action, but the movie is purposely a preparation for Deathly Hallows Part 2. I really enjoyed this one because I have always liked to watch dialogue in movies and get to know the story. And the cast did an amazing job with this one!
  10. Aug 9, 2015
    Although the drama between Ron and Harry in this film bothers me and it's resolution is laughable to some extent, you just have to give credit to this movie and it's psychological aspect to how the dark arts are messing with someone's head and how death leaves a mark on even the happiest occasions. I just got to give credit to this film for so superbly setting up what is to come.
  11. Jul 22, 2015
    At this point in the series I'm fine with a averagely good film, but not one that bores you with nothing actually going on, I don't care what is in the book. If they're goal was to stretch out the final book into 2 films to drag out the story, there was a missed step taken. Movies are different forms of storytelling that is much quicker, it will never be alike the book because it's a wholeAt this point in the series I'm fine with a averagely good film, but not one that bores you with nothing actually going on, I don't care what is in the book. If they're goal was to stretch out the final book into 2 films to drag out the story, there was a missed step taken. Movies are different forms of storytelling that is much quicker, it will never be alike the book because it's a whole different median, at least entertain us with something exciting. Expand
  12. Jul 14, 2015
    A pesar de que " THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE" ignora por completo la trama y las situaciones del libro original, David Yates hace una maravilla en "The Deathly Hallows Part 1" no solo es de las mejores adaptaciones que podras ver en mucho tiempo, sino también regresa el estilo original y oscuro que Harry Potter tenia desde "The Prisoner of Azkaban" y "The Goblet of Fire" Divertida, oscura e increíble.
  13. May 2, 2015
    This movie is clear about one thing: It is part 1 of a 2 part movie that really only needed to be one film.

While it starts off alright it quickly transitions into one filler scene after another. Most of the scenes could easily have been trimmed down, even cut out all together. While nothing in the movie is bad, allot feels needless padding. Acting is still decent, effects still

While nothing in the movie is bad, allot feels needless padding. Acting is still decent, effects still great but the plot felt like it was all just build up, with little to no pay off in this move.

Overall:
    HPatDHpt1 is an obvious cash grab that is needlessly padded out just to justify its existence. Still a good movie though, just a shame it was done this way.
  14. Apr 29, 2015
    This is the poorest of the films but it's still great. Deathly Hallows Part 1 is a more darker Harry Potter film and still has the Harry Potter spark. If only there were more action scenes I would give this movie a 10,but still great though. WARNING You will cry at the end!
  15. Apr 23, 2015
    From a purely business standpoint, the decision to bifurcate Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a winner. Instead of cashing in about $300 million at the domestic box office, Warner Brothers can now count on at least $600 million (bigger world-wide). And, if the second part is released in 3-D (as has been threatened), the surcharge could boost that total to stratospheric levels.From a purely business standpoint, the decision to bifurcate Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a winner. Instead of cashing in about $300 million at the domestic box office, Warner Brothers can now count on at least $600 million (bigger world-wide). And, if the second part is released in 3-D (as has been threatened), the surcharge could boost that total to stratospheric levels. Still, what's good for the cash box isn't always good for the audience. From a creative perspective, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One is a disappointment. It's tough to review what amounts to half a movie since, by its nature, the story remains rough-hewn and unfinished. A year from now, once both pieces are available and stitched together into a mammoth 5-hour epic, perhaps the experience will more closely resemble The Return of the King than Return of the Jedi.

With Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, it appears that the filmmakers have given up on making the saga accessible to those not steeped in Potter lore - or at least those who have not read the books. There were indications of this in the previous film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, but it's more evident in this one. Lacking a handy cheat-sheet, it's almost impossible to understand everything that's going on. For example, where does Brendan Gleeson's Mad-Eye Moody disappear to? Readers of the book know, but you have to listen carefully to get the rushed explanation in the movie. His fate is not shown; it's relayed in a perfunctory fashion in the midst of a chaotic scene. There are other problems along this line - characters appearing who have never been properly introduced (or may not be remembered). Where did John Hurt come from? It would take an impressive memory to recall his previous Harry Potter appearance, which occurred in 2001. Subplots are concluded with nary a word of explanation. Those who know the books won't be the least bit put off or confused - they have the necessary background. Neophytes (do those exist?) or those who have experienced the Harry Potter universe solely through the cinematic representations will experience at least a degree of frustration.

Speaking of frustration, there's the ending. As one might anticipate, it's a cliffhanger, although not of the sort that will have fans throwing empty popcorn containers at the screen. The story simply stops, and that's annoying. It's like sex where one of the participants has a change of heart after foreplay. There's some enjoyment to be had but that's overshadowed by the desire to bring the experience to a completion. All the previous Harry Potter movies have existed as self-contained stories within a larger framework - even The Half-Blood Prince, which was as much set-up as narrative. That's not the case with The Deathly Hallows Part One. There's no payoff. The movie builds erratically to the moment when the end credits start rolling. After sacrificing nearly 2 1/2 hours to this movie, there's a sense that more is deserved. Perhaps that "more" is waiting for us, and The Deathly Hallows Part Two will redeem Part One but, as I write this review, I have only the first movie to make judgments on, and those are mixed.

The pace is uneven, with sluggish passages interspersed with taut action scenes and more meaningful instances of character interaction and exposition. There's an entertainingly original animated sequence (telling the story behind the title), but its inclusion seems more an indulgence than a necessity. Approximately half the running length follows the intrepid trio on a camping expedition - something that might work well on the written page but tends to drag on screen. The unhurried approach also defuses some of the suspense, although it helps to build the sense of dread. The Deathly Hallows Part One is working up to the final confrontation between Harry and Voldemort, but that's all it does - works up to it. From beginning to end, this movie is a study in anticlimax. There's a sense of the narrative going in circles and not advancing much. Quests are a fantasy staple, but rarely has a movie been made in which there is so little progress. Even Frodo's trek to Mordor, despite taking three very long movies to complete, wasn't this torpid.

Despite providing an opportunity to spend 147 minutes in the company of people we have grown to know and love over the years and advancing the narrative toward its final cataclysmic confrontation, The Deathly Hallows Part One underachieves. At a time when Harry Potter should be soaring to new heights, it remains curiously grounded.
  16. Mar 13, 2015
    Once again, the Harry Potter filmmakers and actors have done a magnificent job translating JKR's masterpiece to the screen. I'm sop glad they decided to divide this movie into two parts since it's allowed them to be even truer to the 759 page story.
  17. Feb 17, 2015
    This movie is an absolute waste of time. Nothing happens except you waste more than 2 hours of your life watching complete darkness and hearing nothing. Too many times people are sitting around and doing nothing. Just get to part 2 and stop with this nonsense.
  18. Jan 11, 2015
    Contrary to popular belief, this isn't the worst Potter installment and while it may be slow-paced, it is the most true to the book adaption besides the first two. The Ministry of Magic and Malfoy Manor scenes are true standouts in the series.
  19. Dec 8, 2014
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I is one of the most satisfying entries into the franchise. The action scenes are dark, violent and scary and the emotional core of the film runs higher than before. That said, there is also time for some extremely fun old-school style Potter too, most notably in the Ministry of Magic infiltration sequence. All in all, this is truly one of theHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I is one of the most satisfying entries into the franchise. The action scenes are dark, violent and scary and the emotional core of the film runs higher than before. That said, there is also time for some extremely fun old-school style Potter too, most notably in the Ministry of Magic infiltration sequence. All in all, this is truly one of the best Potter films. Expand
  20. Oct 18, 2014
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final adventure in the Harry Potter film series, is a much-anticipated motion picture event to be told in two full-length parts. Part 1 begins as Harry, Ron and Hermione set out on their perilous mission to track down and destroy the secret to Voldemort's immortality and destruction--the Horcruxes. On their own, without the guidance ofHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final adventure in the Harry Potter film series, is a much-anticipated motion picture event to be told in two full-length parts. Part 1 begins as Harry, Ron and Hermione set out on their perilous mission to track down and destroy the secret to Voldemort's immortality and destruction--the Horcruxes. On their own, without the guidance of their professors or the protection of Professor Dumbledore, the three friends must now rely on one another more than ever. But there are Dark Forces in their midst that threaten to tear them apart. Meanwhile, the wizarding world has become a dangerous place for all enemies of the Dark Lord. The long-feared war has begun and Voldemort's Death Eaters seize control of the Ministry of Magic and even Hogwarts, terrorizing and arresting anyone who might oppose them. But the one prize they still seek is the one most valuable to Voldemort: Harry Potter. The Chosen One has become the hunted one as the Death Eaters search for Harry with orders to bring him to Voldemort...alive. Harry's only hope is to find the Horcruxes before Voldemort finds him. But as he searches for clues, he uncovers an old and almost forgotten tale--the legend of the Deathly Hallows. And if the legend turns out to be true, it could give Voldemort the ultimate power he seeks. Little does Harry know that his future has already been decided by his past when, on that fateful day, he became "the Boy Who Lived." No longer just a boy, Harry Potter is drawing ever closer to the task for which he has been preparing since the day he first stepped into Hogwarts: the ultimate battle with Voldemort. Expand
  21. Sep 26, 2014
    This movie must be the most boring of the series after the order of the phoenix. Is extremely bored and pathetic. I'm not recommend it or fans of the saga.
  22. Aug 25, 2014
    I will admit my dislike for David Yates' previous work with the Harry Potter series, but I found this to be more than redemption. A unbelievable prologue to the final installment--it's remarkable and a return to form.
  23. Aug 24, 2014
    This was the first time I read the book before seeing a Harry Potter film. I am yet to decide whether it worked against me or not, to have that prior experience of the story. I was not sure what to expect, so I didn't expect much (just in case). I wasn't prepared to be this disappointed, however.

In the book, there are a lot of pages (anyone who has read it or even seen it knows that). There are also a lot of smaller and bigger events that gradually add to the big picture. Small details that fill the void around the main events. While I found the book dragging and a bit boring at places, I still expected them to make the film do something good with it.

What happens here is that they set off with zero warning or explanation (having read the book I had some kind of idea of what was going on, but otherwise the events stayed quote hollow if you view the film alone, lacking the emotional impact).

The film dashes from one scene to the next. People show up, old and new, hear news, move forward, from one place to the next. The characters don't work, the plot is too jerky to really make sense, and I had the feeling that had I not read the book, I would not have had any idea about half the stuff taking place on he screen and what certain comments between characters meant.

The fighting scenes were very fast and flashy; the camera kept moving, making me almost nauseous. It was hard to tell who they were following, where they were running, and exactly who was shooting spells at whom. Sure, that's realistic, but it's also in the power of a film to step out of that hectic-ness and show us, in outsider's perspective, what is really going on. To enjoy the moment rather than rush through it.

If the second part of the movie is going to be like this, I'm not going to look forward to it all that much. I feel like they tampered too much with the original so that they could get ahead fast. Sure, fast is good sometimes, if you're dealing multiple storylines, but this felt more like fast-forwarding and dropping out everything that could be dropped, costing some information that seemed rather important in the book and robbing the film of any real emotional charge: the characters had no time to work, and their moods felt unjustified. Angry, sad, joyous... it was hard to follow why exactly each and every one of those emotions took place.

Not my favorite Potter movie. In fact, this might end up being my least favorite one, simply because they butchered any chance at good story-telling by rushing forward, bringing in ingredients from the book and simply making a mess of it.

Three stars for the movie looking good and the small moments of stillness that made sense, but... that's about it.
  24. Jul 27, 2014
    The pacing of this movie is super slow, making the film ultra boring. There is barely any plot in this movie. Nearly 0 action / intense moment. I almost fell asleep when it is about 1 hour. A total waste of time. I expect much much more from this movie. It is very disappointing.
  25. May 4, 2014
    Everything is different now, the trio is on the run having to survive on there own. Things are very dark and more adult themed in part 1. While the film takes a while to build the performances are what is so good about this film, the action is enjoyable as well. But Deathly Hallows 1 does have a long down time....as personal drama comes between the trio...then picks up for an epic part 1Everything is different now, the trio is on the run having to survive on there own. Things are very dark and more adult themed in part 1. While the film takes a while to build the performances are what is so good about this film, the action is enjoyable as well. But Deathly Hallows 1 does have a long down time....as personal drama comes between the trio...then picks up for an epic part 1 finally that leaves you craving part 2. Expand
  26. Mar 15, 2014
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 also bravely faces the future, slipping with expert ease among the thrilling mass of complications (and complicated set pieces) that Rowling throws fans in the final sprint, then guiding the faithful to the fate that awaits everyone in this world, the moment called The End.
  27. Feb 19, 2014
    A mysterious movie that has entertaining scenes and an spectacular story.

A mysterious movie that has entertaining scenes and an spectacular story.

The opening scene in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I is great and exciting. The movie is very well made and the actors couldn't have been more awesome as they are, and the story is spectacular. The movie also contains some humorous scenes that I really enjoyed. The negative things about this movie is that it contains to much slow scenes that doesn't got a high amount of action, which made it a little boring. Another bad thing is that the movie itself didn't contain anything new or spectacular, and I think it might could have happened more in this movie, but also that the music could have been more touching.
    Even though this movie contains slowness is it still a great movie, because it got an awesome ending and the movie overall felt mysterious well made.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I gets a 8/10
  28. Jan 13, 2014
    The film may be too complex to grasp the first time watching it and also doesn't exactly spare clichés and silly exposition conversations, yet is still a rich and multiply-layered film that succeeds in including all the necessary genres and making it seem genuine. All of this is due to a top-notch crew and a huge gathering of immensely talented British actors, this time expanded by BillThe film may be too complex to grasp the first time watching it and also doesn't exactly spare clichés and silly exposition conversations, yet is still a rich and multiply-layered film that succeeds in including all the necessary genres and making it seem genuine. All of this is due to a top-notch crew and a huge gathering of immensely talented British actors, this time expanded by Bill Nighy and Rhys Ifans above others. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 is intense, moving, and highly entertaining and serves as a perfect set-up for the finale of this fantastic franchise. Expand
  29. Nov 28, 2013
    Cutting the final chapter in two parts made the first one be a little bit without emotion,i'd liked the actuation(just daniel redcliffe that was never so good after all)and it was an good final preparing to the battle.
  30. Nov 17, 2013
    Harry Potter has a seventh crack at success.
    Although not very much excitement or as much entertainment do to this somewhat anti climatic film, it still succeeds with a good story. By splitting the book into two parts the movie ends at an odd cliff hanger that wouldn't have been acceptable with the other films.
  31. Nov 1, 2013
    "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is directed once again by David Yates. He gives us the action sequences early in the film but slowly becomes a slightly dull camping sequence where not much is happening. However, the film ends with the perfect cliffhanger, making us anxious for the final film in the Harry Potter series.
  32. Oct 24, 2013
    'Deathly Hallows: Part I' is an incredibly well-acted and visually stunning precursor to the franchise's final installment and serves as a tense character-driven penultimate film. However, it can't help but feel like an obvious prelude.
  33. Sep 8, 2013
    There are people that think that this one is bad because of its slow pace. Honestly, I think it works well for what it has to offer. Probably not the best place for a slow Harry Potter story, but for sure picks it up in the end, along with a sad death scene. Overall, slow is the case for making Part 1 of the big finale work. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" forThere are people that think that this one is bad because of its slow pace. Honestly, I think it works well for what it has to offer. Probably not the best place for a slow Harry Potter story, but for sure picks it up in the end, along with a sad death scene. Overall, slow is the case for making Part 1 of the big finale work. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Expand
  34. Jul 17, 2013
    The penultimate entry and the first half of the final book of the massive Harry Potter franchise is truly the best for so many reasons, its well-paced, its real, its frightening but most of all, its human. It is truly heart-wrenching, emotionally exhausting but brings these characters to full light and makes us realise why we care for them so much.
    The wizarding world is in a true form of
    The wizarding world is in a true form of terror, murder, abduction and general abandonment, Harry and his friends have decided not to return to Hogwarts but instead search for the remaining Horcruxes that Lord Voldemort uses to split his soul, therefore he cannot die. But their journey is of course the hardest challenge they have ever had to face, after the tragic events of the sixth film they are very much alone. The absence of help, and their limited knowledge on what exactly they are looking for puts a strain on the once foolproof friendship of our hero, Ron and Hermione. Ron is growing increasingly frustrated with Harry's lack of results, while Hermione simply doesn't know which side to take.
    The film visits many avenues it hasn't gone to before, we see scenes included that were not even in the book, yet fit so perfectly within the film, its a story of perseverance and loyalty, but also a journey into the unknown, so trust is in there too. The fact that there are less characters for a better part of the film outlines the strength these three unlikely heroes can carry, with superb acting, particularly that of Emma Watson, who leaves behind the know it all schoolgirl and becomes the mothering, edgy and loveable female of the trio, holding the other two together and making sure they are always looking ahead.
    The heartache and depth of drama unfold as the film goes on, but it is the humanly touch of seemingly everything that we see, Harry visiting the grave of his parents, Hermione reminiscing about going on holiday with her parents, whose memories of herself she erased, these, while magical and part of the books, seem so down to earth that there is a unique and almost vulnerable feel to the film, and while obviously not clear to anyone who joins the franchise this late on, it could stand on its own as a perfect pre- swan song.
    Certainly the most emotional journey of the lot, with some excellent effects and landscapes put in as Harry and his friends travel across the country.
    Well acted and superbly tied in to be the first half of the end, probably the best to date.
  35. Jul 14, 2013
    The darkest film in the series also contains some of the best and most fresh sequences in the entire series. It has heart, true heart; great direction, fantastic music (Alexandre Desplat is another one of the greatest composers that ever lived), amazing acting and visuals- this film really does the source material justice by splitting the last book into two. This film really gets youThe darkest film in the series also contains some of the best and most fresh sequences in the entire series. It has heart, true heart; great direction, fantastic music (Alexandre Desplat is another one of the greatest composers that ever lived), amazing acting and visuals- this film really does the source material justice by splitting the last book into two. This film really gets you involved emotionally and it delivers, always. It is a fantastic piece of work. Expand
  36. Jul 12, 2013
    "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is darker than ever, but unlike Part 2, it has issues with its usage of deep dark depth in its plotting. The film is still interesting enough to watch, and as a Harry Potter fan, I thought they managed to pull parts off well, but I thought that the book it portrayed did a much better job hooking readers, as did the film hooked audiences. The"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is darker than ever, but unlike Part 2, it has issues with its usage of deep dark depth in its plotting. The film is still interesting enough to watch, and as a Harry Potter fan, I thought they managed to pull parts off well, but I thought that the book it portrayed did a much better job hooking readers, as did the film hooked audiences. The film does have a lovely soundtrack that fits the darker tone and in all honesty, it is a wonderful film to watch. Expand
  37. Jul 12, 2013
    Disappointing. Sucks the utter life out of this finale. Part 1 begins with an exciting tone, but continues to disappoint and surprisingly drags to a state beyond any form of dullness in movies. Leaving unexcited, confused, and not knowing what to think. Giving it time for the movie to settle in, it begins to stick. It had by far the best level of acting from the main three so far in theDisappointing. Sucks the utter life out of this finale. Part 1 begins with an exciting tone, but continues to disappoint and surprisingly drags to a state beyond any form of dullness in movies. Leaving unexcited, confused, and not knowing what to think. Giving it time for the movie to settle in, it begins to stick. It had by far the best level of acting from the main three so far in the series. As well as the manner in which the reminiscent elements and major plot points were visualized gave it somewhat an unforgettable essence. In combination, the two parts probably deliver the ultimate Potter conclusion harmoniously. But as being a part of a movie doesn't take away the fact this will be treated as a movie by itself. This movie alone, made well, just stalls the flow of the story. It needs some push, some audacity, some passion. With some interesting elements in the story and something unforgettably alluring in its tone and filmmaking, making some powerful moments, this altogether is a molding story that drags to a dud and sucks the utter life and excitement out of this finale. It's shrieking for Del Torro's pizzazz. In spite of, overdue David Yates synthesizes a thoroughly sauteed and seared production, but lacks any density of zest, or moxie, or hurrah. A bitterly soulless Potter film with no magic, yet still a ravishing and stimulating & extraordinary vision. Expand
  38. Jul 10, 2013
    Just like the book, but more fancy, exciting, dark and ever yet so entertaining. I admit it's a bit sad to see the house elf Dobby go to his death, but that is how Voldemort works.
  39. Jun 28, 2013
    Worst movie my eyes have every laid eyes on. I hate this series, and this one explains exactly how bad the rest of them are. Uggg. why do people like this crap.
  40. Jun 25, 2013
    This time Harry Potter is different in a good way, it is certainly excellent, by far the best, with some disturbing imagery and scenes, and enchanting over the top action sequences, it is the best one and the most thrilling.
  41. Jun 14, 2013
    A very well done movie road.

A very well done movie road.

The first time I saw HP7 Part 1 liked, loved the second, and I must say it was a great movie, great moments from the great effect at the Battle of the Seven Potters scene in the ministry, until the death of Dobby, great track sonoroa made the cast remains good, Emma Watson stands out among the trio, film photography is brilliant as that of HP6 and script does not fail at all, only I forgot to say that the scenes of Hogwarts, but because not only I but like all fans also wanted to have seen what was happening at Hogwarts while the trio was on the road.
  42. Jun 11, 2013
    One of the best harry potter movie. Had action and great fantasy .The plot was good and the actors as usual great.
  43. May 31, 2013
    This is my favorite film in the franchise. Any Harry Potter fan who doesn't like this movie is just downright crazy. The action sequences were great and the movie was very similar to the book. I remember watching this in theaters and I was just blown away. The acting was great and the suspense will have you at the edge of your seat.
  44. May 21, 2013
    This movie was dreadfully boring and a poor adaptation of the book. This could have been a very unique movie that could have been wonderfully directed with style, but everything fell flat. Hugely disappointing on too many levels.
  45. May 12, 2013
    This is really depressing because I want to say that this was an awesome movie. It’s a great story and the best in the series. The director does a good job of recapping the story getting rid of anything that is not too necessary. However, this is his biggest flaw. Because everything is to the point nothing is really developed because everything that made the book good and created tensionThis is really depressing because I want to say that this was an awesome movie. It’s a great story and the best in the series. The director does a good job of recapping the story getting rid of anything that is not too necessary. However, this is his biggest flaw. Because everything is to the point nothing is really developed because everything that made the book good and created tension isn’t there. Nonetheless, there are some good moments in it but once again they are very brief and don’t last long. In short while Deathly Hallows Part 1 is good movie it suffers because of the very nature of tale it is trying to retell. Expand
  46. May 11, 2013
    It is better than ever Harry Potter is now finding the evil in himself, and the war that is coming is consuming all, thoughts are playing in characters' minds and Lord Voldemort is getting stronger than ever!
  47. Apr 14, 2013
    Such an improvement over the sixth one. Almost constantly entertaining, riveting, and unpredictable the whole running time. You will never know what hit you. Such a good start to ending the fantastically written and directed Harry Potter series.
  48. Mar 30, 2013
    This movie gives a real impression, really, but there are many details that make this not quite good.
    It has a good start, a good fight to avoid boredom aerial fast.
    It has a good start, a good fight to avoid boredom aerial fast.
    The film is very tense and accelerated to give you that excitement comes from despair and anxiety, but the pace has accelerated, many incoherent things about the plot, I will not say them because if you read the book and see the movie you can give cueta what they are. It incoeherente with the series, not the movie itself.
    The acting is good but many of the cast are still acting like it's supposed to be your scene, many scenes are very raw and should act as unique are the three main characters really were glorious this time, they have proven to the world grandeur film but the ones I liked were Rupert Grint and Emma Watson really make the viewer feel that anguish, fear and fury of that journey to defeat the Dark Lord, but the rest of the cast does not align very well and paper consumption that's a good problem.
    The special effects are good, make it look all relista movie, the music is good but loose, is very good and disturbing scenes with street style and adult can enjoy especially people who do not usually like this kind of movies Adaptation is the best of the series, even if inconsistent with the series, but ruling that the film is consistent with itself, arguably no need to read the first part of the book, only if you do not want to confuse you with the characters but generally not necessary.
    It is a good movie worth watching all the public, is entertaining and is the most mature of the entire Harry Potter series. You must see it.
    My Score: 8.0
  49. Mar 28, 2013
    I couldn't believe that the end of Harry Potter is near! This part was great and very important, because you must watch it before the last part, or you'll not understand! The only reason why i'm not giving it a 8/10 is because it was a bit boring and it reminded me of Twilight,especially when they were in the forest. But that's why it has 2 parts, because it's not unfinished and the bestI couldn't believe that the end of Harry Potter is near! This part was great and very important, because you must watch it before the last part, or you'll not understand! The only reason why i'm not giving it a 8/10 is because it was a bit boring and it reminded me of Twilight,especially when they were in the forest. But that's why it has 2 parts, because it's not unfinished and the best is yet to come. It's a MUST WATCH if you're going to watch the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Expand
  50. Jan 11, 2013
    This is probably the best of the movies so far in terms of how closely they stayed to the book. Obviously there are many things differing but they seemed to capture the essence of every major point from the book... at least up to the point of the break before the final installment. It's tough to give the movie a perfect rating because as an individual film, it obviously lacks theThis is probably the best of the movies so far in terms of how closely they stayed to the book. Obviously there are many things differing but they seemed to capture the essence of every major point from the book... at least up to the point of the break before the final installment. It's tough to give the movie a perfect rating because as an individual film, it obviously lacks the conclusion that's provided in the last film. Nonetheless, awesomely done and I can't wait to watch the final film in the series! Expand
  51. Jan 10, 2013
    Slow-moving, but this character driven entry delivers just as much as any great thriller would, although it does feel a bit like the prequel it is. Great performances by Radcliffe and Watson.
  52. Jan 8, 2013
    Harry bladder is the most retarded thing to ever be shoved down this worlds throat... I find the episodes of billy and mandy more entertaining; they go to toadblatt's school of sorcery and get divided into house weaslethorpe and gunderstank.. the receptionist, Miss lardbottom and professor moldybutt exemplify just how retarded nigel planter, excuse me, harry bladder, oops, harry potterHarry bladder is the most retarded thing to ever be shoved down this worlds throat... I find the episodes of billy and mandy more entertaining; they go to toadblatt's school of sorcery and get divided into house weaslethorpe and gunderstank.. the receptionist, Miss lardbottom and professor moldybutt exemplify just how retarded nigel planter, excuse me, harry bladder, oops, harry potter really is with it's retarded naming system; as if dumbledore wasn't gay enough, his name translated into some non-existent language just for the sake of saying it means something else, means fricken bumblebee; beyond retarded.. it's like a script written for 5 year olds that is over acted and aimed at adults... this review goes for pretty much every harry bladder film out there... plus harry bladder fans are incessantly annoying and stupid Expand
  53. Dec 21, 2012
    3 words describe this movie. So damn exciting.
  54. Nov 28, 2012
    It is a little slow at times, but in the end "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1" does ultimately make itself feel like a worthwhile cinematic experience.
  55. Nov 10, 2012
    The first year out of Hogwarts. By far the darkest and deepest entry yet. One almost feels unsafe when the main characters are out and about. Anything could happen. This is a highpoint of the HP films.
  56. Nov 8, 2012
    This Potter, though it has some great moments, is sadly overshadowed by boring stretching and meandering of plot.
  57. Aug 14, 2012
    Harry Potter is back and better than ever. The war has consumed all and it hasn't even got going yet. The story to Deathly Hallows is the darkest and most unforgiving of all the Harry Potter stories making it one of the best as it never holds back. Most of Part I is the trio running and hiding from the dark lord Voldemort but it really brings it close to home, makes it human once again andHarry Potter is back and better than ever. The war has consumed all and it hasn't even got going yet. The story to Deathly Hallows is the darkest and most unforgiving of all the Harry Potter stories making it one of the best as it never holds back. Most of Part I is the trio running and hiding from the dark lord Voldemort but it really brings it close to home, makes it human once again and really fleshes out who the characters really are. Deathly Hallows Part 1 may not be an action heavy film but it is more than absolutely needed. Expand
  58. Jul 12, 2012
    This film may just be a prelude, but it is an outstanding one. You get a shiver running down your spine at the end, you can just tell what's coming. Boy, did I not want this film to end! The acting is superb, the camera work is beautiful and the cast continues to charm. What a great series!
  59. Jun 25, 2012
    We have finally come to the last page of J.K. Rowling
  60. Apr 8, 2012
    More of the same from the Harry Potter franchise although this movie seemed to indicate a turn towards the dark moody end to the series which was hinted in the Half Blood Prince film.
  61. Mar 28, 2012
    I think that the movie can be better, in some parts is boring, but is an excellent first part, because if you watching this film with Deathly Hallows Part 2 is an epic film.
  62. Mar 23, 2012
    Deathly Hallows Pt 1 is definitely a breath of fresh air after having 6 movies take place at Hogwarts, as the setting is more of a traveling fantasy movie.
  63. Jan 31, 2012
    It started off great (the Snape meeting with Voldemort scene was perfect and hands down the best scene in the film) and it did have its few moments but I was pretty disapointed with it. I think it was far too sappy and corny for my taste and the first half of the book did a terrible job working out on the big screen.
  64. Jan 21, 2012
    You guys are crazy. This movie was boring as hell it was just a simple chase film and there were so many boring and stupid moments I hated this film for being a chase film. They should've just combined part 1 and part 2 and create a 3hr masterpiece but no, they splited it 2 movies you were forced to watch both movies to understand the story rofl nice job marketers.
  65. Jan 11, 2012
    In my opinion this movie was executed very fast, making the lack of action. Although it was OK for starting the ending of a wonderful saga. I feel this movie very depressing.
  66. Dec 30, 2011
    Perhaps the most boring Harry Potter movie ever, if only the book hadn't mentioned the boring parts in the middle. Despite splitting the movie into two parts, it should have merged this one with part 2, eliminate the tedious scenes and maybe create a over 3-hour epic finale as one movie. Even the time setting shouldn't be in months, but should be in days.
  67. Dec 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can sorta understand why this penultimate installment to the HP film series was received so tepidly. Much of DH Part 1 is spent milling around, looking for horcruxes, and it doesn't do much justice for those who haven't read the book. Many people may just skip this one in favor of the impeccably epic Part 2, but there's still much to be enjoyed in Part 1 - the only difference is that it tells more of a human story than an adventure story. Ron's insecurities and resentments rear their ugly head in the form of the locket, and we watch as he comes to terms with them and makes his peace with his friends. Dobby's death is made all the more heartbreaking with the addition of a few choice lines of dialogue, and the climax in Malfoy Manor is satisfying enough. The appeal lies more in the scene's emotional execution than its actual action. Expand
  68. Dec 18, 2011
    Beautifully photographed, loaded with a tense, gloomy tone and displaying touching performances of its young leads, the first-half of "Deathly Hallows" serves as a magnificent build-up for the climax of the series .
  69. Dec 17, 2011
    Heartwarming, emotionally depth, and visually appealing, this is greatly positioning the second part to be a fantastic film. Definitely one of the best of the Potters. Ha they all are great. I give this film 93% of a good movie.
  70. Dec 8, 2011
    I was suprised that I liked it as much as I did, I didnt like the earlier HP films but I did enjoy the HBP. I think the film was solid through out - Good acting, Good action, and it stayed true to the book for the most part. I think that the entire time they were on the run could have been a bit shorter though, I felt that it was a little too dragged on. Still, Its a good film.
  71. Nov 16, 2011
    The movie was even more amazing if you had read the book. Absolutely stunning. Although there wasn't a lot of action in Part 1 of the Deathly Hallows, it was still a movie worth watching - well, obviously, otherwise you wouldn't have a clue of what's going on in Part 2. The entire Harry Potter saga is one of my all-time favorites.
  72. Nov 4, 2011
    The story is compelling and thrilling, the characters are well developed and expertly acted. Although, my only problem with this is that the pace can be a little too quick, thus, certain bits of the story feel rushed and are quite confusing for those who haven't read the book. 3/4 stars.
  73. Sep 28, 2011
    By far the most pointless and worst film in the series. Nothing happens apart from in the last 10 minutes. To me this seems like an ellaborate way to make an easy buck off Harry Potter fans without actually making any content that's worthy of their money.
  74. Sep 23, 2011
    Boasting with surprising maturity and good direction from director David Yates, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1" is a good start to the ending of the Harry Potter franchise.
  75. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    The movie feels like a money grab with the slow pacing and contains unfulfilled sequence of events. I know it's part 1, but the film is all tease. I see how the movie is necessary, but to rate this part as a film by itself feels empty.
  76. Sep 4, 2011
    I get the feeling this entire film was made to give the screen time that Harry, Ron, and Hermione deserve with one another. It is one of the darkest and most emotional films in the series and really does a great job leading up to the conclusion. It is beautifully filmed and acted and happens to be very faithful to the novel. My only warning is that if you've never read any of the novels,I get the feeling this entire film was made to give the screen time that Harry, Ron, and Hermione deserve with one another. It is one of the darkest and most emotional films in the series and really does a great job leading up to the conclusion. It is beautifully filmed and acted and happens to be very faithful to the novel. My only warning is that if you've never read any of the novels, the film will be hard to understand at some points. If you haven't read the book, do so. It tells the story better than any movie ever could. Expand
  77. Aug 26, 2011
    The Harry Potter films are the highest grossing film franchise of all time. This is precisely why when I heard that the final of J.K. Rowlingâ
  78. Aug 9, 2011
    The only Character driven Harry Potter movie and it was a very good set up for the climactic final installment. The performances by Radcliffe and Grint but mostly Watson were the best in the series
  79. Aug 6, 2011
    A great film, much better than the second one, which makes you want to read the book again and go for the second (which is a little deceptive) film. It was a good idea to split the film in two as this made it 90% follow the book. It really makes you thrill and touches you like very few films of this saga do.
  80. Aug 5, 2011
    Even for noobies -- like myself -- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is a magical experience with a ton of action, thrills, laughs, and melodrama.
  81. Jul 31, 2011
    The worst in the series. The only good thing at this movie is the part where Hermione leaves her house, the snake fight and the fight between them. Incredibly dull.
  82. Jul 30, 2011
    If you are not a rabid Harry Potter fan DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE. It is depressing and goes nowhere the entire film. There are virtually no defining or exciting scenes in the entire movie. "Oh woe is me I don't know what to do" is fine for part of the movie, not 3/4 of it!
  83. CRL
    Jul 28, 2011
    Part I is the best since Azkaban, and shows how great David Yates can be when he's paying attention to the source material instead of doing his own thing. Atmospheric and amazingly detailed, Part I paints the new and oppressive version of the wizarding world with almost macabre beauty, and some of the series' best acting creates one of the most immersive films I've ever seen. Part IPart I is the best since Azkaban, and shows how great David Yates can be when he's paying attention to the source material instead of doing his own thing. Atmospheric and amazingly detailed, Part I paints the new and oppressive version of the wizarding world with almost macabre beauty, and some of the series' best acting creates one of the most immersive films I've ever seen. Part I doesn't skimp on the emotion either, and sometimes it even delivers a laugh or two. Also, the cinematography was some of the best of the series, and I still can't figure out why it missed out on an Oscar. In the end, the only thing that let Part I down was lack of an ending, but even that doesn't take away from its greatness. Expand
  84. Jul 20, 2011
    Magnificence. With its darker tone and melancholic mood, not to mention it's spellbinding effects and the dazzling acting of the older cast, Deathly Hallows Part 1 comes forth as the best Harry Potter film to date, even if it does have some problems with pace and an over reliance on the still patchy acting of Radcliffe, Watson and Grint.
  85. Jul 18, 2011
    An extremely long film in which barely anything happens, it was, in all honesty a waste of my life. If you are a die-hard harry potter fan yes, you'll probably enjoy, but only knowing that you shouldn't. A poor, poor film designed only to draw out the franchise for maximum profit.
  86. Jul 13, 2011
    this is the most boring movie in the series, but i don't know ; something about it made me watch at least 15 times ! the movie follows the book greatly, the first and final scenes form the best parts of the film..ii should've focused more on the action scenes ,but it still gave me chills when i watched it !!
  87. Jul 13, 2011
    Saw this a few hours ago, and i loved it. i am not a die hard fan im just a guy who thinks its really good. i love how the series just gets darker yet is still funny at times and entertaining. effects were really good and i love voldermorts character! -1 point cause it can always be better and for the **** that wouldnt shutup in the theatre.
  88. Jul 12, 2011
    Part 1 is definitely a rather good film. One of the better ones of the franchise. With a well balanced storyline, the writers have managed to make an exciting, yet reasonably paced and well-explained part of the Potter films. The visual effects have been improving from film to film, with some of the most amazing effects we've witnessed. The biggest surprise for me was the acting - it wasPart 1 is definitely a rather good film. One of the better ones of the franchise. With a well balanced storyline, the writers have managed to make an exciting, yet reasonably paced and well-explained part of the Potter films. The visual effects have been improving from film to film, with some of the most amazing effects we've witnessed. The biggest surprise for me was the acting - it was actually pretty good! Daniel Radcliffe was actually acting well, which is rather refreshing. Overall, it is a rather interesting and smooth transition into the last film, which seems to be very promising!! Expand
  89. Jul 12, 2011
    Very well done. Although, they seemed to drag on in certain parts almost as an excuse to make a "part 2". But altogether, this movie is probably one of the closest adaptions of the book in the whole series. I can't wait for Part 2!!
  90. Jul 11, 2011
    Deathly Hallows: Part I is part epic and part narrative. The plot is as complex as ever (a good thing) and the performances show how the characters felt throughout the first half of the novel. The visuals are another part of what makes this film great! The spells look like spells and there is no abuse of CGI! Overall, make this a definite watch in preparation for the this final chapter.
  91. Jul 11, 2011
    It's a great film and the latest in the franchise. It's amazing that it is able to still hold it's own after six films. I know it's pretty redundant to say but the film does feel incomplete and because of that it gets a slightly lower score. It is just part one but if you make a film, I expect to see a complete one not just part of one.
  92. Jul 8, 2011
    This movie is very very stupid i realy hate myself of spending 2 hours of my life watching it and i dont know how it got such a hight score here because harry al he does in this movie is shoot a couple of spels ( of course he misses) and when he meets lord vol... they just fire a laser one at other what kind of face off is that ? how could some people think tha this movie is good
  93. Jul 8, 2011
    Contains the major events, but as I have read the books, i'm quite biased toward how the book was "better" in the sense that I truly felt everything was tied much better as opposed to the movie's quick entrance. Still worth to watch!
  94. Jul 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter (books and movies) but today I'm reviewing from a normal person's point of view. I thought that some of the action scenes were a bit cheesey and corny. It is one of the better Harry Potter films, but not the best. Dobby is one of my favorite characters and seeing him die was so sad that I almost cried. I can't wait for Part Two the finale. Expand
  95. Jul 5, 2011
    Harry, Ron, and Hermione leave their homes to find and destroy the horcruxes as they are being hunted by Voldemort and his dark forces while reuniting with old friends and allies before they realize that their friendship is being torn apart and must stay close together as ever. Caught the screening of this in November six days after it came out and enjoyed it. Now for my opinion. I amHarry, Ron, and Hermione leave their homes to find and destroy the horcruxes as they are being hunted by Voldemort and his dark forces while reuniting with old friends and allies before they realize that their friendship is being torn apart and must stay close together as ever. Caught the screening of this in November six days after it came out and enjoyed it. Now for my opinion. I am really entralled at how brilliant this installment is. The storyline was well-paced it tried everything it can to get to the cliff hanger, the acting was brilliant, the fantasy action was dark, yet very amazing, and the soundtrack from Alexandre Desplat (The Golden Compass, The Twilight Saga: New Moon) was epic and very emotional. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is a satisfying epic entry of the series and will be concluded with part 2 in only 10 more days left.

96. Jun 27, 2011
    terrible movie. what is this thing. why do you watch it. this is terrible. worst movie of my life. the actors are too ugly to watch but they are good at acting. i don't care how the book is like and stuff like that. harry potter just ruins my life.
  97. Jun 19, 2011
    Dazzling, emotionally gripping, wonderfully acted, and faithful to the source material, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I is a masterpiece, and is the best Harry Potter film in the series! I can't wait for Part 2 to blow audiences away.
  98. Jun 19, 2011
    This film is perfect , it gives a feeling of the calm before the struggle, the characters are fighting for themselves to survive against the difficulties. Every calm scene, the beautiful locations, the action, everything is fueled by an huge emotional scale. I personally enjoyed the film because it turns to be more adult, with more intricate and challenging conflicts for the characters.This film is perfect , it gives a feeling of the calm before the struggle, the characters are fighting for themselves to survive against the difficulties. Every calm scene, the beautiful locations, the action, everything is fueled by an huge emotional scale. I personally enjoyed the film because it turns to be more adult, with more intricate and challenging conflicts for the characters. It's a perfect 10 to David Yates. Expand
  99. Jun 14, 2011
    It is so nice to see the Harry Potter franchise "all-growed-up". The actors and their respective characters have morphed into mature, sympathetic, and genuine individuals. The 'trio' shine in their determination and quiet [yet palpable] sadness. The scene in which Harry and Hermione dance to a well-placed Nick Cave tune (which was demonstrably absent from the novel) was both enthrallingIt is so nice to see the Harry Potter franchise "all-growed-up". The actors and their respective characters have morphed into mature, sympathetic, and genuine individuals. The 'trio' shine in their determination and quiet [yet palpable] sadness. The scene in which Harry and Hermione dance to a well-placed Nick Cave tune (which was demonstrably absent from the novel) was both enthralling and calmly tragic in its pure simplicity. It is part of what makes the film convey a desperate longing for some sort of peace from the inevitable conflict that follows. Although I have loved each installment of Harry Potter--in both novel and film format, Deathly Hallows Part I has surpassed the previous films by leaps and bounds. It is a dark and beautiful portrayal of the main characters' inner turmoil; coupled with brilliant screenwriting, impressive [and what I would call understated, based on the previous films] visual effects, and what amounts to an honestly sincere coming-of-age narrative. All of these factors make this film more than merely entertaining. In fact, it leads the viewer into a world that is no longer that of the silly storybook tales that they have seen in the previous films. Deathly Hallows Part I makes the viewer at once both truly feel for the characters and their many troubles and desperately wish for the final film to be released. Expand
  100. Jun 6, 2011
    Better than the book by far, but then all the movies have been...

This installment reveals Harry is not a god, which is refreshing... In the realm of magical competence he's reduced to the standard of, above-average, but no more. That was rather a nice turn of plot from the chosen-one, uber-retarded theme of the past. Harry isn't so special, he just lives in special circumstances. Nice
    Better than the book by far, but then all the movies have been...

Harry isn't so special, he just lives in special circumstances. Nice save JK.

Anyway, the cast give solid performances, cinematography rocks, effects are great... good fun all around.

Honestly, I think Emma Watson is the most interesting talent to come from the franchise. I like guys, but can't wait to see what she makes of her fame(cache), she's just a treat to watch!!! Is it just me, or is she a force we'll see on the silver screen for some time to come?

1. Reviewed by: Andrea Gronvall
    Dec 8, 2010
    The best portion is an animated story-within-the-story, supervised by Ben Hibon, that recalls Lotte Reiniger's filigreed shadow puppets as it sets the stage for armageddon.
  2. Reviewed by: Kenneth Turan
    Dec 8, 2010
    To be fair to Deathly Hallows, the filmmakers have tried hard to fill the proceedings with battles and chases and debilitating curses. Genuine filmmaking excitement, however, is harder to provide.
    I hope that in Part 2, Yates and screenwriter Steve Kloves give Fiennes a better send-off than Dame J.K. did in her less-than-wizardly climactic wandathon. Having made us sit through two and a half hours with no payoff, they'd better not go all Muggle on us. Next time, we want magic, people.