7.5

1. Jun 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wish the movies would do the same job in concluding the Harry Potter series when the book did. Yes, it was satisfying, but nothing can beat the book.

As with the changes, I am mostly okay with it but I am still sad because without these changes, the movies would be more funner.

The only change I am not okay with Harry dancing with Hermione in Part 1. David Yates, your Harmione is showing. That is not okay at all. But at least you made it up with Ron and Hermione kissing in Part 2.

The special effects is up-par with this one. Very realistic and breath-taking.

The performances from the cast delivered their swan song to the Harry Potter series. Of course, it seems like the cast were born to play their roles which is great as I will always remember them as their roles.

The pace is action-packed and fast in Part 2. I wished the battle between Harry and Voldemort took place in the Great Hall because I want to see everyone to cheer for Harry.

Lastly, while they did make some cuts, I am glad they did not skim the entire book and it used its two parts wisely.

While it still didn't do justice to the book, the 2-part movie adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will satisfy both the fans of the book and the non-fans, which they will additionally enjoy the character development, performances and the special effects.
  2. May 4, 2014
    Everything is different now, the trio is on the run having to survive on there own. Things are very dark and more adult themed in part 1. While the film takes a while to build the performances are what is so good about this film, the action is enjoyable as well. But Deathly Hallows 1 does have a long down time....as personal drama comes between the trio...then picks up for an epic part 1 finally that leaves you craving part 2. Expand
  3. Mar 15, 2014
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 also bravely faces the future, slipping with expert ease among the thrilling mass of complications (and complicated set pieces) that Rowling throws fans in the final sprint, then guiding the faithful to the fate that awaits everyone in this world, the moment called The End.
  4. Feb 19, 2014
    A mysterious movie that has entertaining scenes and an spectacular story.

The opening scene in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I is great and exciting. The movie is very well made and the actors couldn't have been more awesome as they are, and the story is spectacular. The movie also contains some humorous scenes that I really enjoyed. The negative things about this movie is
    that it contains to much slow scenes that doesn't got a high amount of action, which made it a little boring. Another bad thing is that the movie itself didn't contain anything new or spectacular, and I think it might could have happened more in this movie, but also that the music could have been more touching.
    Even though this movie contains slowness is it still a great movie, because it got an awesome ending and the movie overall felt mysterious well made.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I gets a 8/10
  5. Jan 13, 2014
    The film may be too complex to grasp the first time watching it and also doesn't exactly spare clichés and silly exposition conversations, yet is still a rich and multiply-layered film that succeeds in including all the necessary genres and making it seem genuine. All of this is due to a top-notch crew and a huge gathering of immensely talented British actors, this time expanded by Bill Nighy and Rhys Ifans above others. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 is intense, moving, and highly entertaining and serves as a perfect set-up for the finale of this fantastic franchise. Expand
  6. Nov 28, 2013
    Cutting the final chapter in two parts made the first one be a little bit without emotion,i'd liked the actuation(just daniel redcliffe that was never so good after all)and it was an good final preparing to the battle.
  7. Nov 17, 2013
    Harry Potter has a seventh crack at success.
    Although not very much excitement or as much entertainment do to this somewhat anti climatic film, it still succeeds with a good story. By splitting the book into two parts the movie ends at an odd cliff hanger that wouldn't have been acceptable with the other films.
  8. Nov 1, 2013
    "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is directed once again by David Yates. He gives us the action sequences early in the film but slowly becomes a slightly dull camping sequence where not much is happening. However, the film ends with the perfect cliffhanger, making us anxious for the final film in the Harry Potter series.
  9. Oct 24, 2013
    'Deathly Hallows: Part I' is an incredibly well-acted and visually stunning precursor to the franchise's final installment and serves as a tense character-driven penultimate film. However, it can't help but feel like an obvious prelude.
  10. Sep 8, 2013
    There are people that think that this one is bad because of its slow pace. Honestly, I think it works well for what it has to offer. Probably not the best place for a slow Harry Potter story, but for sure picks it up in the end, along with a sad death scene. Overall, slow is the case for making Part 1 of the big finale work. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Expand
  11. Jul 17, 2013
    The penultimate entry and the first half of the final book of the massive Harry Potter franchise is truly the best for so many reasons, its well-paced, its real, its frightening but most of all, its human. It is truly heart-wrenching, emotionally exhausting but brings these characters to full light and makes us realise why we care for them so much.
    The wizarding world is in a true form of
    terror, murder, abduction and general abandonment, Harry and his friends have decided not to return to Hogwarts but instead search for the remaining Horcruxes that Lord Voldemort uses to split his soul, therefore he cannot die. But their journey is of course the hardest challenge they have ever had to face, after the tragic events of the sixth film they are very much alone. The absence of help, and their limited knowledge on what exactly they are looking for puts a strain on the once foolproof friendship of our hero, Ron and Hermione. Ron is growing increasingly frustrated with Harry's lack of results, while Hermione simply doesn't know which side to take.
    The film visits many avenues it hasn't gone to before, we see scenes included that were not even in the book, yet fit so perfectly within the film, its a story of perseverance and loyalty, but also a journey into the unknown, so trust is in there too. The fact that there are less characters for a better part of the film outlines the strength these three unlikely heroes can carry, with superb acting, particularly that of Emma Watson, who leaves behind the know it all schoolgirl and becomes the mothering, edgy and loveable female of the trio, holding the other two together and making sure they are always looking ahead.
    The heartache and depth of drama unfold as the film goes on, but it is the humanly touch of seemingly everything that we see, Harry visiting the grave of his parents, Hermione reminiscing about going on holiday with her parents, whose memories of herself she erased, these, while magical and part of the books, seem so down to earth that there is a unique and almost vulnerable feel to the film, and while obviously not clear to anyone who joins the franchise this late on, it could stand on its own as a perfect pre- swan song.
    Certainly the most emotional journey of the lot, with some excellent effects and landscapes put in as Harry and his friends travel across the country.
    Well acted and superbly tied in to be the first half of the end, probably the best to date.
  12. Jul 14, 2013
    The darkest film in the series also contains some of the best and most fresh sequences in the entire series. It has heart, true heart; great direction, fantastic music (Alexandre Desplat is another one of the greatest composers that ever lived), amazing acting and visuals- this film really does the source material justice by splitting the last book into two. This film really gets you involved emotionally and it delivers, always. It is a fantastic piece of work. Expand
  13. Jul 12, 2013
    "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is darker than ever, but unlike Part 2, it has issues with its usage of deep dark depth in its plotting. The film is still interesting enough to watch, and as a Harry Potter fan, I thought they managed to pull parts off well, but I thought that the book it portrayed did a much better job hooking readers, as did the film hooked audiences. The film does have a lovely soundtrack that fits the darker tone and in all honesty, it is a wonderful film to watch. Expand
  14. Jul 12, 2013
    Disappointing. Sucks the utter life out of this finale. Part 1 begins with an exciting tone, but continues to disappoint and surprisingly drags to a state beyond any form of dullness in movies. Leaving unexcited, confused, and not knowing what to think. Giving it time for the movie to settle in, it begins to stick. It had by far the best level of acting from the main three so far in the series. As well as the manner in which the reminiscent elements and major plot points were visualized gave it somewhat an unforgettable essence. In combination, the two parts probably deliver the ultimate Potter conclusion harmoniously. But as being a part of a movie doesn't take away the fact this will be treated as a movie by itself. This movie alone, made well, just stalls the flow of the story. It needs some push, some audacity, some passion. With some interesting elements in the story and something unforgettably alluring in its tone and filmmaking, making some powerful moments, this altogether is a molding story that drags to a dud and sucks the utter life and excitement out of this finale. It's shrieking for Del Torro's pizzazz. In spite of, overdue David Yates synthesizes a thoroughly sauteed and seared production, but lacks any density of zest, or moxie, or hurrah. A bitterly soulless Potter film with no magic, yet still a ravishing and stimulating & extraordinary vision. Expand
  15. Jul 10, 2013
    Just like the book, but more fancy, exciting, dark and ever yet so entertaining. I admit it's a bit sad to see the house elf Dobby go to his death, but that is how Voldemort works.
  16. Jun 28, 2013
    Worst movie my eyes have every laid eyes on. I hate this series, and this one explains exactly how bad the rest of them are. Uggg. why do people like this crap.
  17. Jun 25, 2013
    This time Harry Potter is different in a good way, it is certainly excellent, by far the best, with some disturbing imagery and scenes, and enchanting over the top action sequences, it is the best one and the most thrilling.
  18. Jun 14, 2013
    A very well done movie road.

The first time I saw HP7 Part 1 liked, loved the second, and I must say it was a great movie, great moments from the great effect at the Battle of the Seven Potters scene in the ministry, until the death of Dobby, great track sonoroa made the cast remains good, Emma Watson stands out among the trio, film photography is brilliant as that of HP6 and script
    does not fail at all, only I forgot to say that the scenes of Hogwarts, but because not only I but like all fans also wanted to have seen what was happening at Hogwarts while the trio was on the road. Expand
  19. Jun 11, 2013
    One of the best harry potter movie. Had action and great fantasy .The plot was good and the actors as usual great.
  20. May 31, 2013
    This is my favorite film in the franchise. Any Harry Potter fan who doesn't like this movie is just downright crazy. The action sequences were great and the movie was very similar to the book. I remember watching this in theaters and I was just blown away. The acting was great and the suspense will have you at the edge of your seat.
  21. May 21, 2013
    This movie was dreadfully boring and a poor adaptation of the book. This could have been a very unique movie that could have been wonderfully directed with style, but everything fell flat. Hugely disappointing on too many levels.
  22. May 19, 2013
    This movie is an absolute waste of time. Nothing happens except you waste more than 2 hours of your life watching complete darkness and hearing nothing. Too many times people are sitting around and doing nothing. Just get to part 2 and stop with this nonsense.
  23. May 12, 2013
    This is really depressing because I want to say that this was an awesome movie. It’s a great story and the best in the series. The director does a good job of recapping the story getting rid of anything that is not too necessary. However, this is his biggest flaw. Because everything is to the point nothing is really developed because everything that made the book good and created tension isn’t there. Nonetheless, there are some good moments in it but once again they are very brief and don’t last long. In short while Deathly Hallows Part 1 is good movie it suffers because of the very nature of tale it is trying to retell. Expand
  24. May 11, 2013
    It is better than ever Harry Potter is now finding the evil in himself, and the war that is coming is consuming all, thoughts are playing in characters' minds and Lord Voldemort is getting stronger than ever!
  25. Apr 14, 2013
    Such an improvement over the sixth one. Almost constantly entertaining, riveting, and unpredictable the whole running time. You will never know what hit you. Such a good start to ending the fantastically written and directed Harry Potter series.
  26. Mar 30, 2013
    This movie gives a real impression, really, but there are many details that make this not quite good.
    It has a good start, a good fight to avoid boredom aerial fast.
    The film is very tense and accelerated to give you that excitement comes from despair and anxiety, but the pace has accelerated, many incoherent things about the plot, I will not say them because if you read the book and see
    the movie you can give cueta what they are. It incoeherente with the series, not the movie itself.
    The acting is good but many of the cast are still acting like it's supposed to be your scene, many scenes are very raw and should act as unique are the three main characters really were glorious this time, they have proven to the world grandeur film but the ones I liked were Rupert Grint and Emma Watson really make the viewer feel that anguish, fear and fury of that journey to defeat the Dark Lord, but the rest of the cast does not align very well and paper consumption that's a good problem.
    The special effects are good, make it look all relista movie, the music is good but loose, is very good and disturbing scenes with street style and adult can enjoy especially people who do not usually like this kind of movies Adaptation is the best of the series, even if inconsistent with the series, but ruling that the film is consistent with itself, arguably no need to read the first part of the book, only if you do not want to confuse you with the characters but generally not necessary.
    It is a good movie worth watching all the public, is entertaining and is the most mature of the entire Harry Potter series. You must see it.
    My Score: 8.0
  27. Mar 28, 2013
    I couldn't believe that the end of Harry Potter is near! This part was great and very important, because you must watch it before the last part, or you'll not understand! The only reason why i'm not giving it a 8/10 is because it was a bit boring and it reminded me of Twilight,especially when they were in the forest. But that's why it has 2 parts, because it's not unfinished and the best is yet to come. It's a MUST WATCH if you're going to watch the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Expand
  28. Jan 11, 2013
    This is probably the best of the movies so far in terms of how closely they stayed to the book. Obviously there are many things differing but they seemed to capture the essence of every major point from the book... at least up to the point of the break before the final installment. It's tough to give the movie a perfect rating because as an individual film, it obviously lacks the conclusion that's provided in the last film. Nonetheless, awesomely done and I can't wait to watch the final film in the series! Expand
  29. Jan 10, 2013
    Slow-moving, but this character driven entry delivers just as much as any great thriller would, although it does feel a bit like the prequel it is. Great performances by Radcliffe and Watson.
  30. Jan 8, 2013
    Harry bladder is the most retarded thing to ever be shoved down this worlds throat... I find the episodes of billy and mandy more entertaining; they go to toadblatt's school of sorcery and get divided into house weaslethorpe and gunderstank.. the receptionist, Miss lardbottom and professor moldybutt exemplify just how retarded nigel planter, excuse me, harry bladder, oops, harry potter really is with it's retarded naming system; as if dumbledore wasn't gay enough, his name translated into some non-existent language just for the sake of saying it means something else, means fricken bumblebee; beyond retarded.. it's like a script written for 5 year olds that is over acted and aimed at adults... this review goes for pretty much every harry bladder film out there... plus harry bladder fans are incessantly annoying and stupid Expand
  31. Dec 21, 2012
    3 words describe this movie. So damn exciting.
  32. Nov 28, 2012
    It is a little slow at times, but in the end "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1" does ultimately make itself feel like a worthwhile cinematic experience.
  33. Nov 10, 2012
    The first year out of Hogwarts. By far the darkest and deepest entry yet. One almost feels unsafe when the main characters are out and about. Anything could happen. This is a highpoint of the HP films.
  34. Nov 8, 2012
    This Potter, though it has some great moments, is sadly overshadowed by boring stretching and meandering of plot.
  35. Aug 14, 2012
    Harry Potter is back and better than ever. The war has consumed all and it hasn't even got going yet. The story to Deathly Hallows is the darkest and most unforgiving of all the Harry Potter stories making it one of the best as it never holds back. Most of Part I is the trio running and hiding from the dark lord Voldemort but it really brings it close to home, makes it human once again and really fleshes out who the characters really are. Deathly Hallows Part 1 may not be an action heavy film but it is more than absolutely needed. Expand
  36. Jul 12, 2012
    This film may just be a prelude, but it is an outstanding one. You get a shiver running down your spine at the end, you can just tell what's coming. Boy, did I not want this film to end! The acting is superb, the camera work is beautiful and the cast continues to charm. What a great series!
  37. Jun 25, 2012
    We have finally come to the last page of J.K. Rowling
  38. Apr 8, 2012
    More of the same from the Harry Potter franchise although this movie seemed to indicate a turn towards the dark moody end to the series which was hinted in the Half Blood Prince film.
  39. Mar 28, 2012
    I think that the movie can be better, in some parts is boring, but is an excellent first part, because if you watching this film with Deathly Hallows Part 2 is an epic film.
  40. Mar 23, 2012
    Deathly Hallows Pt 1 is definitely a breath of fresh air after having 6 movies take place at Hogwarts, as the setting is more of a traveling fantasy movie.
  41. Jan 31, 2012
    It started off great (the Snape meeting with Voldemort scene was perfect and hands down the best scene in the film) and it did have its few moments but I was pretty disapointed with it. I think it was far too sappy and corny for my taste and the first half of the book did a terrible job working out on the big screen.
  42. Jan 21, 2012
    You guys are crazy. This movie was boring as hell it was just a simple chase film and there were so many boring and stupid moments I hated this film for being a chase film. They should've just combined part 1 and part 2 and create a 3hr masterpiece but no, they splited it 2 movies you were forced to watch both movies to understand the story rofl nice job marketers.
  43. Jan 11, 2012
    In my opinion this movie was executed very fast, making the lack of action. Although it was OK for starting the ending of a wonderful saga. I feel this movie very depressing.
  44. Dec 30, 2011
    Perhaps the most boring Harry Potter movie ever, if only the book hadn't mentioned the boring parts in the middle. Despite splitting the movie into two parts, it should have merged this one with part 2, eliminate the tedious scenes and maybe create a over 3-hour epic finale as one movie. Even the time setting shouldn't be in months, but should be in days.
  45. Dec 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can sorta understand why this penultimate installment to the HP film series was received so tepidly. Much of DH Part 1 is spent milling around, looking for horcruxes, and it doesn't do much justice for those who haven't read the book. Many people may just skip this one in favor of the impeccably epic Part 2, but there's still much to be enjoyed in Part 1 - the only difference is that it tells more of a human story than an adventure story. Ron's insecurities and resentments rear their ugly head in the form of the locket, and we watch as he comes to terms with them and makes his peace with his friends. Dobby's death is made all the more heartbreaking with the addition of a few choice lines of dialogue, and the climax in Malfoy Manor is satisfying enough. The appeal lies more in the scene's emotional execution than its actual action. Expand
  46. Dec 18, 2011
    Beautifully photographed, loaded with a tense, gloomy tone and displaying touching performances of its young leads, the first-half of "Deathly Hallows" serves as a magnificent build-up for the climax of the series .
  47. Dec 17, 2011
    Heartwarming, emotionally depth, and visually appealing, this is greatly positioning the second part to be a fantastic film. Definitely one of the best of the Potters. Ha they all are great. I give this film 93% of a good movie.
  48. Dec 8, 2011
    I was suprised that I liked it as much as I did, I didnt like the earlier HP films but I did enjoy the HBP. I think the film was solid through out - Good acting, Good action, and it stayed true to the book for the most part. I think that the entire time they were on the run could have been a bit shorter though, I felt that it was a little too dragged on. Still, Its a good film.
  49. Nov 16, 2011
    The movie was even more amazing if you had read the book. Absolutely stunning. Although there wasn't a lot of action in Part 1 of the Deathly Hallows, it was still a movie worth watching - well, obviously, otherwise you wouldn't have a clue of what's going on in Part 2. The entire Harry Potter saga is one of my all-time favorites.
  50. Nov 4, 2011
    The story is compelling and thrilling, the characters are well developed and expertly acted. Although, my only problem with this is that the pace can be a little too quick, thus, certain bits of the story feel rushed and are quite confusing for those who haven't read the book. 3/4 stars.
  51. Sep 28, 2011
    By far the most pointless and worst film in the series. Nothing happens apart from in the last 10 minutes. To me this seems like an ellaborate way to make an easy buck off Harry Potter fans without actually making any content that's worthy of their money.
  52. Sep 23, 2011
    Boasting with surprising maturity and good direction from director David Yates, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1" is a good start to the ending of the Harry Potter franchise.
  53. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    The movie feels like a money grab with the slow pacing and contains unfulfilled sequence of events. I know it's part 1, but the film is all tease. I see how the movie is necessary, but to rate this part as a film by itself feels empty.
  54. Sep 4, 2011
    I get the feeling this entire film was made to give the screen time that Harry, Ron, and Hermione deserve with one another. It is one of the darkest and most emotional films in the series and really does a great job leading up to the conclusion. It is beautifully filmed and acted and happens to be very faithful to the novel. My only warning is that if you've never read any of the novels, the film will be hard to understand at some points. If you haven't read the book, do so. It tells the story better than any movie ever could. Expand
  55. Aug 26, 2011
    The Harry Potter films are the highest grossing film franchise of all time. This is precisely why when I heard that the final of J.K. Rowlingâ
  56. Aug 9, 2011
    The only Character driven Harry Potter movie and it was a very good set up for the climactic final installment. The performances by Radcliffe and Grint but mostly Watson were the best in the series
  57. Aug 6, 2011
    A great film, much better than the second one, which makes you want to read the book again and go for the second (which is a little deceptive) film. It was a good idea to split the film in two as this made it 90% follow the book. It really makes you thrill and touches you like very few films of this saga do.
  58. Aug 5, 2011
    Even for noobies -- like myself -- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is a magical experience with a ton of action, thrills, laughs, and melodrama.
  59. Jul 31, 2011
    The worst in the series. The only good thing at this movie is the part where Hermione leaves her house, the snake fight and the fight between them. Incredibly dull.
  60. Jul 30, 2011
    If you are not a rabid Harry Potter fan DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE. It is depressing and goes nowhere the entire film. There are virtually no defining or exciting scenes in the entire movie. "Oh woe is me I don't know what to do" is fine for part of the movie, not 3/4 of it!
  61. CRL
    Jul 28, 2011
    Part I is the best since Azkaban, and shows how great David Yates can be when he's paying attention to the source material instead of doing his own thing. Atmospheric and amazingly detailed, Part I paints the new and oppressive version of the wizarding world with almost macabre beauty, and some of the series' best acting creates one of the most immersive films I've ever seen. Part I doesn't skimp on the emotion either, and sometimes it even delivers a laugh or two. Also, the cinematography was some of the best of the series, and I still can't figure out why it missed out on an Oscar. In the end, the only thing that let Part I down was lack of an ending, but even that doesn't take away from its greatness. Expand
  62. Jul 20, 2011
    Magnificence. With its darker tone and melancholic mood, not to mention it's spellbinding effects and the dazzling acting of the older cast, Deathly Hallows Part 1 comes forth as the best Harry Potter film to date, even if it does have some problems with pace and an over reliance on the still patchy acting of Radcliffe, Watson and Grint.
  63. Jul 18, 2011
    An extremely long film in which barely anything happens, it was, in all honesty a waste of my life. If you are a die-hard harry potter fan yes, you'll probably enjoy, but only knowing that you shouldn't. A poor, poor film designed only to draw out the franchise for maximum profit.
  64. Jul 13, 2011
    this is the most boring movie in the series, but i don't know ; something about it made me watch at least 15 times ! the movie follows the book greatly, the first and final scenes form the best parts of the film..ii should've focused more on the action scenes ,but it still gave me chills when i watched it !!
  65. Jul 13, 2011
    Saw this a few hours ago, and i loved it. i am not a die hard fan im just a guy who thinks its really good. i love how the series just gets darker yet is still funny at times and entertaining. effects were really good and i love voldermorts character! -1 point cause it can always be better and for the **** that wouldnt shutup in the theatre.
  66. Jul 12, 2011
    Part 1 is definitely a rather good film. One of the better ones of the franchise. With a well balanced storyline, the writers have managed to make an exciting, yet reasonably paced and well-explained part of the Potter films. The visual effects have been improving from film to film, with some of the most amazing effects we've witnessed. The biggest surprise for me was the acting - it was actually pretty good! Daniel Radcliffe was actually acting well, which is rather refreshing. Overall, it is a rather interesting and smooth transition into the last film, which seems to be very promising!! Expand
  67. Jul 12, 2011
    Very well done. Although, they seemed to drag on in certain parts almost as an excuse to make a "part 2". But altogether, this movie is probably one of the closest adaptions of the book in the whole series. I can't wait for Part 2!!
  68. Jul 11, 2011
    Deathly Hallows: Part I is part epic and part narrative. The plot is as complex as ever (a good thing) and the performances show how the characters felt throughout the first half of the novel. The visuals are another part of what makes this film great! The spells look like spells and there is no abuse of CGI! Overall, make this a definite watch in preparation for the this final chapter.
  69. Jul 11, 2011
    It's a great film and the latest in the franchise. It's amazing that it is able to still hold it's own after six films. I know it's pretty redundant to say but the film does feel incomplete and because of that it gets a slightly lower score. It is just part one but if you make a film, I expect to see a complete one not just part of one.
  70. Jul 8, 2011
    This movie is very very stupid i realy hate myself of spending 2 hours of my life watching it and i dont know how it got such a hight score here because harry al he does in this movie is shoot a couple of spels ( of course he misses) and when he meets lord vol... they just fire a laser one at other what kind of face off is that ? how could some people think tha this movie is good
  71. Jul 8, 2011
    Contains the major events, but as I have read the books, i'm quite biased toward how the book was "better" in the sense that I truly felt everything was tied much better as opposed to the movie's quick entrance. Still worth to watch!
  72. Jul 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter (books and movies) but today I'm reviewing from a normal person's point of view. I thought that some of the action scenes were a bit cheesey and corny. It is one of the better Harry Potter films, but not the best. Dobby is one of my favorite characters and seeing him die was so sad that I almost cried. I can't wait for Part Two the finale. Expand
  73. Jul 5, 2011
    Harry, Ron, and Hermione leave their homes to find and destroy the horcruxes as they are being hunted by Voldemort and his dark forces while reuniting with old friends and allies before they realize that their friendship is being torn apart and must stay close together as ever. Caught the screening of this in November six days after it came out and enjoyed it. Now for my opinion. I am really entralled at how brilliant this installment is. The storyline was well-paced it tried everything it can to get to the cliff hanger, the acting was brilliant, the fantasy action was dark, yet very amazing, and the soundtrack from Alexandre Desplat (The Golden Compass, The Twilight Saga: New Moon) was epic and very emotional. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is a satisfying epic entry of the series and will be concluded with part 2 in only 10 more days left.

74. Jun 27, 2011
    terrible movie. what is this thing. why do you watch it. this is terrible. worst movie of my life. the actors are too ugly to watch but they are good at acting. i don't care how the book is like and stuff like that. harry potter just ruins my life.
  75. Jun 19, 2011
    Dazzling, emotionally gripping, wonderfully acted, and faithful to the source material, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I is a masterpiece, and is the best Harry Potter film in the series! I can't wait for Part 2 to blow audiences away.
  76. Jun 19, 2011
    This film is perfect , it gives a feeling of the calm before the struggle, the characters are fighting for themselves to survive against the difficulties. Every calm scene, the beautiful locations, the action, everything is fueled by an huge emotional scale. I personally enjoyed the film because it turns to be more adult, with more intricate and challenging conflicts for the characters. It's a perfect 10 to David Yates. Expand
  77. Jun 14, 2011
    It is so nice to see the Harry Potter franchise "all-growed-up". The actors and their respective characters have morphed into mature, sympathetic, and genuine individuals. The 'trio' shine in their determination and quiet [yet palpable] sadness. The scene in which Harry and Hermione dance to a well-placed Nick Cave tune (which was demonstrably absent from the novel) was both enthralling and calmly tragic in its pure simplicity. It is part of what makes the film convey a desperate longing for some sort of peace from the inevitable conflict that follows. Although I have loved each installment of Harry Potter--in both novel and film format, Deathly Hallows Part I has surpassed the previous films by leaps and bounds. It is a dark and beautiful portrayal of the main characters' inner turmoil; coupled with brilliant screenwriting, impressive [and what I would call understated, based on the previous films] visual effects, and what amounts to an honestly sincere coming-of-age narrative. All of these factors make this film more than merely entertaining. In fact, it leads the viewer into a world that is no longer that of the silly storybook tales that they have seen in the previous films. Deathly Hallows Part I makes the viewer at once both truly feel for the characters and their many troubles and desperately wish for the final film to be released. Expand
  78. Jun 6, 2011
    Better than the book by far, but then all the movies have been... This installment reveals Harry is not a god, which is refreshing... In the realm of magical competence he's reduced to the standard of, above-average, but no more. That was rather a nice turn of plot from the chosen-one, uber-retarded theme of the past. Harry isn't so special, he just lives in special circumstances. Nice save JK.

Anyway, the cast give solid performances, cinematography rocks, effects are great... good fun all around.

Honestly, I think Emma Watson is the most interesting talent to come from the franchise. I like guys, but can't wait to see what she makes of her fame(cache), she's just a treat to watch!!! Is it just me, or is she a force we'll see on the silver screen for some time to come?
  79. Jun 2, 2011
    Handsome. Exciting. Harrowing. That along with J.K. Rowling's vision, and good film techniques equals quite a good film. The filmmakers stretch out for it quite far, but they reach it. Since the end is coming, they try and put as much as they can in it. Trying to stuff back in what they left out in the previous chapters. Maybe it was a miracle, maybe it was with new producers J.K. Rowling's help, but whatever it was, they succeeded. From the start of the film, I can tell they have advanced in their film-making ways. No more depending on the greatest and never tiring land of Hogwarts to save you anymore. They must bring something new to the table, but making us feel just as much as watching a Harry Potter movie of any others. Whether the film felt like a trailer for part 2, or not, there is no doubt that the film can still satisfy any hardcore Harry Potter fan and critics. However, may not do the same for those entering the Harry Potter world for the first time. Those newcomers might just expect a cheery group of kids at a magical school, and everything is wonderful in the bright world of magic. They were quite confused on the absent of a magical school, and the dark talk of murder and soul philosophy. The characters aren't these little kids anymore. The filmmakers perfect in drawing out all the character development created by Rowling. It was perfect in a character aspect. Overall, this movie is a little more than your average blockbuster. Expand
  80. May 31, 2011
    After the last two Harry Potter films I was beginning to feel the series was beginning to lose it's magic (no pun intended), the plots were getting lame, and they were losing there humor, but this movie changes that, the plot is enjoyable, and it's funny again, and it never really felt over dramatic, a must see for fans of the series.
  81. May 30, 2011
    The Harry Potter movies leave out a lot of details from the book.Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows was my absolute favorite book in the Potter series,but a lot of detail got left behind in the movie.....
  82. May 29, 2011
    By far the best in the saga. In this, Kloves could make a great script that appeals both fans whose worry too much about fidelity to the book about the fans who prefer a movie that flows well (like me). Yates proves to be the best director of the saga, and hits in all scenes, including creating beautiful scenes like the dance between Harry and Hermione and when Harry visits the grave of his parents, scary scenes like the house of Bathilda Bagshot and great action scenes like the battle of the seven Potters. In terms of performances, it's also the best one. Radcliffe finally shows a nice dramatic flair, Grint won't disappoint those scenes (and still shows its good comic timing). However the highlight of the trio goes all the way to Emma Watson, as her character Hermione also gets an interesting highlight in this chapter because it is the best in magic, it is she who takes care of Harry and Ron on the journey in search of the Horcruxes. And Emma doesn't disappoint, delivering a fantastic performance (the scene in which it erases the memory of their parents is one of the most beautiful of the saga for sure, thanks to her acting). The older actors do not appear much in this, since the movie focuses on the trio most of the time, but it doesn't disappoint in small moments in the scene (as always Raplh Fiennes as Voldemort is fantastic). Technically, is not the best of the series but is one of. The visual effects, Oscar nominations, although they are well used, are way far from being very realistic (the Chamber of Secrets, Dobby, was better than the new and the Prisoner of Azkaban, dementors, were much more realistic). The art director Stuart Craig has always been perfect, and that, even without the backdrop of Hogwarts, is still very good (the landscapes are gorgeous, and some scenes of destruction are great), deservedly nominated for an Oscar as well. The photograph although not as good as the Half-Blood Prince, is beautiful. But the coach will focus entirely on the soundtrack of Desplat. Many fans were calling for the return of Williams for the final chapters of HP, and I can say it was good he didn't return. Williams could hardly write a novel as beautiful as that Desplat composed. Besides beautiful tracks, Desplat also appears to be able to create good tracks for scenes of action and horror. Expand
  83. May 25, 2011
    A spectacular return to form for the Potter series in what is arguably the best film of the franchise. A much darker outing than previous installments resulting in a more direct approach all the light-hearted and cheerful themes are long gone bar a few funny comments to break the ice at times. Part 1 of The Deathly Hallows picks up from were The Half Prince left off with Harry, Hermione and Ron on the search of Horcruxes to bring and end to Voldemort once and for all. The start is frantic and doesn't mess around with a chase through London very well shown as the dark forces hunt for Potter. However very quickly the focus switches purely to the Harry and co and their quest for the Horcruxes. I was worried about the setting as for the first time in a film Hogwarts is not at the heart of things but any doubts I had were soon forgotten and thus really drives at home that the protection they were all once under is truely gone! The search for Horcruxes sees Harry, Ron and Hermione face danger at every turn they, under false identites, head to an infiltrated Ministry. However their quest takes its tole as the effects of a Horcrux are shown by Ron who wonders off half way threw. During this a clever scene involving Harry and Hermione dancing which was a great inculsion to lighten the tone ever so slightly. When Weasley eventually returns it leads to the destruction of a Horcrux but leads to the unravelling of an old myth - The Deathly Hallows. As the pieces of the puzzle begin to fall into place Harry is now aware of exactly what Voldemort is after. The climax to Part 1 left us with a teary-eyed goodbye to an old favourite and with a minor cliffhanger setting things up perfectly for the enevitable emotional finale and the final chapter of an epic series. Part 2 can't come quick enough! Expand
  84. May 22, 2011
    harry potter and the deathly hallows, is the pen ultimate installation of the series. dividing into two parts was considered since it has lot to say explain and deliver the things. the first half here explains the situation is getting worse. dark lord rising and awaiting for an occasion to find harry potter and kill him. meanwhile the whereabouts of the people are getting worse. some attacks at every instant reflects that it is no longer safe to be here. so where do they go? definitely one place, the order of phoenix headquarters. there they find a clue and things move on here. but sooner or later, jungle enters into life and emotions touch their lives and characters split apart and harry desperate to finish this off. in his quest, he finds the sword of griffindoor and something unexpected happens. a real turn back here and some regular touches and revealing a riveting climax. of course the loss of one dearest friend. take a seat back and relax for first 10 min till the proceedings begin. no sooner , one will hook up straight from then till the end of first half. of course some anguish, jealousy would reflect that it is taking a wild turn here. but sooner the qualities disappear and it builds up for riveting climax. the last 20 minutes has lot to see and stick to the seats. no where to relax. direction and screenplay takes a next level in this franchise and reflects the best filming here with everything at appropriate levels. opening scene and last scene are surely stunners and way to begin and end. lead cast performances by daniel radcilffe emma watson and rupert grint are always the best. they are matured and emotions oh my god!! that is really good here. ralph fiennes as deadly voldemort is good and grint evil smile surely will do the sayings oh he is the bad guy here! rest characters are supportive and useful for the narrative. there was some confusion for non book readers about the film, but surely the second half has answers for everything. the chase, the initial sky battle and the infiltration in the ministry are the best action sequences one can never get. the camera work is way too fast here, but it is required for the action to build up. cinematography is awesome here. every frame is dark, bright and of course darker. some visuals are stunning here. during action scenes, you would enjoy the work surely. editing was a bit problem in first 30 min with sufficed scenes that might bore a bit. but the later part picks up and gives a spine ride. dialogs are good and sometimes commendable too. overall we got here a perfect drama set up in the cities and dark forests, rich with colors and action performances and darker with deadly death eaters. one of the best in the harry potter franchise. i am waiting for the last part!!! Expand
  85. May 22, 2011
    Hopefully the final one will blow us away because this one was good but not great!! This may have been the darkest so far in the series. I'm banking the final chapter will be darker yet. The character's are shaping up very nicely for the final chapter. Can't wait!!
  86. May 20, 2011
    Prisoner of Azkaban is still the only HP film i liked from beginning to end. This one is another average attempt and book->movie conversion. It ssems to me as the cast are going all "twilight". Yes, bad things are happening around them fair enough, but there is still only so much teen angst I can take, and this has far too much. Looking forward to the second part as that looks promising, but, I won't get my hopes up. Expand
  87. May 19, 2011
    PART 1 is a very disappointing Harry potter film it doesn't have any magical feeling that the other films have.Its more of a Dark dull and often boring journey. Hopefully the Second part will have more of that magical world that we have come to love.Also the cliffhanger feels very strange and out of place,then again splitting the movie into two parts is also a very weird idea in the first place.That is why i have given it a 7 Expand
  88. May 18, 2011
    My favourite film of last year and arguable the best in the franchise while the film is essentially a fetch quest David Yates and the rest of his crew turn it in to a wonderful movie which visits tonnes of beautiful locations within great Britain the acting is phenomenal the actors have matured greatly in the 10 years and so have there acting abilities.

This one is worth anybody's money
    buy the Blu-Ray and enjoy the magic over and over again. Because you will definitely want to after you've watched the movie once.

Deathly Hallows part 2 will be a fantastic finale and I can't wait to see it!
  89. May 12, 2011
    This is a strange movie to review. It is based on half a book so you can't fault the movie for having no real conclusion or resolution. The first half of any story is usually comprised of the build-up before the big finale and that's what this movie is. It's a build-up, and cannot stand on its own until the second part is released. Part 1 is a movie with flaws, the biggest of which is its pacing problems. The first 40 minutes are action packed and frantic but soon things slow down and stay that way for most of the movie. I don't want to judge Part 1 too harshly for this, however, because it is in the unfortunate position of being one half of an adventure. Other than that, I found this movie very enjoyable, with all three leads giving their best performances of the series so far. The emotional toll and tensions of life on the run were well-handled and made for a more mature movie. As I mentioned, Part 1 is a strange movie to review. To enjoy it, the viewer must accept the compromises the filmmakers had to make. Expand
  90. May 8, 2011
    Out of all the later films, this one is the best. If you're a HP fan this should deliver on all the important aspects: romance, action, cinematography, storyline - and I think they stopped at a great part in the novel in order to keep interest between the two last films.
  91. Apr 29, 2011
    When it comes to Harry Potter, I'm a fan. I like all of the movies in the series, simply because they are able to take all of the major events of the books and squash them into a decent adventure movie. This isn't the worst of the series by far, but it isn't the best. As a film, it's good, but when you have read the book, you instantly notice that some of the major details of the book that relate to the plot are only just squashed into the movie, and sometimes they're not even noticeable. Splitting the film into two parts was a good idea, but even that isn't enough to include all the details required to understand the movie. If I hadn't read the book, I would struggle to know what was going on! But as a film, it is quite good. The elements of comedy, action and adventure work well together, and the fact that the whole environment of the film has changed with the absence of school life worked surprisingly well. Detail wise though, it desperately needs to be longer. Expand
  92. Apr 28, 2011
    The film does well in setting the stage for the final installment but does little in the way of entertainment. While this is decent storytelling, it fails to get off the ground and therefore just exists much like the characters in the film...they're just sitting around. The effects and performances are nothing new, though the cinematography is once again superb. One of my least favorite of the Potter series. Expand
  93. Apr 16, 2011
    Far too slow, there is virtually no action, by far the worst of all the movies on the small bespectacled sorcerer!!! I fell asleep during the movie, hope the next episode will be better.
  94. Apr 11, 2011
    This was my favorite out of all the Harry Potter movies so far and the best movie in 2010 in my opinion. I saw this one twice. Once at a midnight premiere, aka, thursday night/friday morning and i saw it again a couple weeks after. This movie has it all. I really like the actors and I'm glad that they chose to split the movie into two parts.
  95. Apr 6, 2011
    Can't believe people criticize this movie, because of it's pace in the 2nd act.Have you morons actually read the damn book ? They can't just skip the whole part THAT TOOK PLACE DURING MONTHS IN THE BOOK.Watch less Michael Bay movies, you **** imbeciles, not every HP movie doesn't have to be full of CONSTANT action.I hate the previous movies for being basically summaries of the books.They were just mixed scenes of the books.All I could think of was the important parts they left out.At least this HP FEELS like an actual movie. Expand
  96. Mar 21, 2011
    They've done it again! The penultimate film in the Harry Potter franchise brings forth the new dark tinge of Harry Potter's journey to defeat Lord Voldemort. Without a doubt, you'll be salivating for more and more until the last second of what a breath taker! Love it!
  97. Mar 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As Harry races against time and evil to destroy the Horcruxes, he uncovers the existence of three most powerful objects in the wizarding world: the Deathly Hallows. Expand
  98. Mar 14, 2011
    If I had never read the books, this movie would have been given a 10. However, due to my expectations (that Warner Brothers never live up to in making HP films), this movie has been given an eight. The best plot of any story ever written, it would have been pretty hard to get any worse than an eight. Effects, visuals, audio- these elements are all alright. I hope you understand what you have done to the greatest book series of all time, Warner Brothers. Disappointingly worse than the books. Expand
  99. Mar 5, 2011
    Even for unfamiliar audiences, The Deathly Hallows packs enough action, laughs, and drama to sporadically entertain and garner itself an even larger fan base.
  100. Mar 5, 2011
    deathly hallows is delicious from every possible angle...its by far the most faithful adaptation but all fueled with endless magical innovations....its like a comment on the book itself.....the Nazi undertones....the gripping spine-chilling music....the heart-breaking scenes....emotional scenes.....cinematography is spell-binding,and what amazing performances.....it was a visual treat as well as a treat for the brains....its intelligent....its a beautifully crafted movie....it doesn't drag....and remains true to the spirit of friendship.....i loved the dark and gloomy feel....the ominous speech of scrimgeour at the starting of the movie.....its one heck of a movie......finally David Yates proves that Harry potter is all grown n mature...and clearly its not fit for the younger audience...it requires lot of maturity to understand the tale...as it picks up loads of references from the past.....its absolutely brilliant and should have got a nomination for best picture this year at he Oscars....but it still remains bloody amazing..... Expand

1. Reviewed by: Andrea Gronvall
    Dec 8, 2010
    The best portion is an animated story-within-the-story, supervised by Ben Hibon, that recalls Lotte Reiniger's filigreed shadow puppets as it sets the stage for armageddon.
  2. Reviewed by: Kenneth Turan
    Dec 8, 2010
    To be fair to Deathly Hallows, the filmmakers have tried hard to fill the proceedings with battles and chases and debilitating curses. Genuine filmmaking excitement, however, is harder to provide.
    I hope that in Part 2, Yates and screenwriter Steve Kloves give Fiennes a better send-off than Dame J.K. did in her less-than-wizardly climactic wandathon. Having made us sit through two and a half hours with no payoff, they'd better not go all Muggle on us. Next time, we want magic, people.