7.8

1. Aug 28, 2014
    Enjoyable (and to the fans even more so I believe). The pace of the movie is the familiar one already set by the previous parts: in the beginning, a threat is declared, but nothing happens before Christmas is safely over.

The characters are angrier and less superficial this time. A lot of tension runs under the skin.

To my delight, there were a lot of short moments with Fred and
    George Weasley - my current favorites. Severus Snape also had a little part to play, and again, unfolding past events is interesting. There is plenty to tell on that department, but alas, the movies focus on Harry and his young friends.

References to earlier movies are littered around. They might be hard for random viewers to process, but for fans they no doubt bring a lot of joy and a sense of knowledge and familiarity.
  2. Aug 25, 2014
    Despite a now annual director change, Harry Potter continues to shine bright. The Goblet of Fire is complex and shows true signs of maturity. The cast has also begun to follow suit. May the greatness continue!
  3. Aug 12, 2014
    Even though Voldermort's debut, this fourth installment is inferior to the previous one. The romances between the characters, even if they show the kids growing to teens, cover an irritatingly large part of the film. There are pretty amazing visuals, however, and some well-crafted screenwriting, that will keep fans mostly satisfied.
  4. May 27, 2014
    When I watched it before becoming a Potterhead, this was my favorite HP movie. It still stands today as my favorite, for now.

But it wasn’t the same as before. I was amazed by the story that time before I got a chance to read the book. I was impressed with the book more than the movie.

Let me first start by saying about how much it was cut from the source material. I was upset at
    first, but then I remember how long the book and they cannot extend the movie longer. I understand why a lot of parts have to be cut.

But let me list down some of the things of the chances that I am not okay with because I felt like they’re unnecessary or they’re important to the story.

Hermione hugging Harry Potter before Rita Skeeter gets a chance to take a picture of them for more publicity of the Tri-Wizard Cup.
    The scenes where Hermione was training Harry for the first task.
    Mrs. Weasley, Dobby and Winky were absent in this movie. Those three characters had important character development, with the last two mentioned having important story development as well.
    References of Dementors’ connection with Lord Voldemort is removed.

Despite the numerous cuts, I still enjoyed it. But it’s sad it comes along with the irritation of how many cuts it have to take for the required running time.

I feel like some parts of the movie might not be understandable to viewers who haven’t read the book beforehand. They would make sense to them if they do. This is a common problem for books being adapted into movies, though this problem is (kinda) solved for YA movies such as The Hunger Games and Divergent.

The humor is still retained in the movie which is good because Harry has some quite sassy humor in the books.

They showed Rita Skeeter but she wasn’t featured much in the movie. She is a lot worst when I read the books.

I give props to the scenes where the tasks were held. They were better than what I imagined.

The movie felt a bit of a teenager movie but then again, the characters are growing up and that shows maturity among the characters. This is actually good if you wanted a story about wizardry but it also has a sense of realism.

I like how the tone suddenly became dark in this one. I hope this isn’t an unpopular opinion.

I enjoyed the movie and this remains my favorite Harry Potter movie despite its flaws. I like the book better though, sad to say.
  5. May 4, 2014
    Harry is on a streak, because Goblet is a blast. The film runs on the long side but doesnt feel it because you get so invested in the story and characters. what a great time. keep it up Harry.
  6. Mar 15, 2014
    At first I thought the movie was going to be lame. It started of with weak diolouge and then after 20 minutes in...I realized I was actually leaning forward in my seat with anticipation. This movie is awesome! I have to say the the Death Eaters, and the plot around them was awesome! The Dark Lord's raising a duel with Harry in the graveyard was stunning! This movie certainly had a creep factor at parts...which is great for the HP frachise! Expand
  7. Feb 13, 2014
    Where the Prisoner of Azkaban saw a transition process from lighter fare and youth appeal, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire steps into an obviously-darker world where the student of Hogwarts begin to deal with realities that are years beyond them, mostly due to the growing influence of Lord Voldemort. The result is the best Harry Potter yet - one that will rope in more mature audiences while still remaining somewhat enjoyable for the younger viewers. Expand
  8. Dec 8, 2013
    I loved this movie so much, I almost forgot that it was almost 3 hoirs long. This film will deliver you everything gou can expect from a Harry Potter plus better stuff that I never expected from an HP film.
  9. Dec 2, 2013
    Since I got into the Harry Potter series a few months ago, I've been asking people what they think of it. To my surprise, most of them said they stopped after the Prisoner of Azkaban. Personally, I think Azkaban was the best one so far, so why not continue? The unanimous answer was that they didn't really want to see the kids grow up. In the Goblet of Fire, they aren't quite there yet, as in their 4th year at Hogwarts, the kids are 14. The story this time isn't centered around some mysterious artifact or person, but rather a world wide competition of student wizards. The Goblet of Fire decides who the best of the best are, allowing only one student from each school to participate. This film was special, but also lacked some of the intrigue that got us addicted to Harry Potter in the first place. Finally, a Harry Potter film focuses entirely on Harry and we get to see some of the great things that he is supposedly capable of. In fact, Ron and Hairmony's roles amount to little more than bit parts, where as in the other three films, they were all on equal ground. The fact that this was a competition takes something major away from the film. In the Goblet of Fire we aren't introduced to any new artifacts, games, or spells, there really isn't anything here that will amaze you. While it's a small thing, it's an expected thing, that does take something away from the film. What makes up for it is a terrific ending, that has to be seen in order to continue on with the series. For years, I thought Harry Potter was just overrated, pop culture, bull but once I sat down to actually watch it, I came to realize that this series is as magically as the world it portrays. Every one of the first four films has been fantastic and I can't wait to see what the future has in store for the wizards of Hogwarts. Expand
  10. Nov 28, 2013
    the goblet fire wasn't as good as the prisoner of azkaban but it was another great movie from the franchise,it finally have an dark touch wich will do great business up ahead.
  11. Nov 13, 2013
    Harry Potter bewitches a four installment with impressive entertainment.
    The Goblet of Fire proves Harry is far from done, and that being a wizard really is all its cracked up to be.
  12. Nov 1, 2013
    "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" is the fourth movie in the series and is the most complex and mature yet. Director Mike Newell has improved on the previous films on all edges and has made an excellent violent movie with style and craft.
  13. Oct 25, 2013
    I find 'Goblet of Fire' luridly monotonous. Though effects are as great as they will be, I found that the films began to degrade significantly after this sequel.
  14. Oct 24, 2013
    'The Goblet of Fire's intriguing plot makes it one of the more tense films of the franchise, however, like its predecessor, its story line is mostly unimportant.
  15. Sep 8, 2013
    While (in my opinion) it at first felt like it wasn't going anywhere as far as telling a story relating to the purpose of the books, it starts to feel more and more engaging as far as storytelling goes up until the big point in the movie. Overall, truly eventually got better and better the further into this movie. Be sure check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  16. Jul 28, 2013
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was the tipping point of the franchise for me. The first two movies were decent but nothing to get overly hyped about. The third one kicked off the darker tone but was seriously overlong. Goblet of Fire is long too but it doesn't feel anywhere near as long as the Prisoner of azkaban. It's a much more exciting and scarier ride than the previous Potter movies. This was the first film in the series to make me think "Wow! We might have something special here after all!" Now that the franchise is finished, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire still ranks among the best potter movies. Expand
  17. Jul 14, 2013
    While not completely like the source material, it still keeps the same feel of the book- the intensity, the action, the fantasy (everything you can expect from a Harry Potter film). The film gets darker but continues on with its great acting, amazing visuals, great music (while John Williams is sadly missed, Patrick Doyle really steps it up and does not disappoint), set design and direction. This film is another grand slam success in the Harry Potter series. Expand
  18. Jul 14, 2013
    There is a lot going on in the fourth Harry Potter film, love is in the air, there is a magical wizarding tournament happening in Hogwarts and Harry Potter is beginning his fourth year, Mike Newell certainly has the eye for a set-piece extravaganza, the new film is brimming with them. But we are also introduced to the darkest tale yet of the ongoing adventure, with the introduction of one of the most frightening characters to appear on screen.
    But Harry, played again by the ever growing Daniel Radcliffe, and his ever tolerant friends Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) have their friendship with the leading man tested to its core when Harry's name is picked from the Goblet of Fire, something only seventeen year olds or over can do, Harry is then a true public enemy within the school as many wonder, including Harry himself, how is name was entered, when Harry says it wasn't him?
    As the hostility and suspicion grows around Harry, we can see that this is a very different Potter film than we have seen before, the whole friendly shock and awe of 'this is magic' is gone, and we are shown a very credible threat to Harry and to the wizarding world, we have heard about Death Eaters, and we see them rein terror at the beginning of the film, they are signalling a return to power, a return that we don't have to wait too long to see.
    With a large plot and addition of two wizarding schools for the Triwizard Tournament comes a much larger cast, we see the the likes of Snape (Alan Rickman) McGonagall (Maggie Smith) and various other characters make sporadic appearances, but we are introduced to an array of new faces, Viktor Krum (Stanislav Ianevski) a Triwizard 'champion' and Fleur Delacour (Clémence Poésy) the same. We also have Ralph Fiennes and Brendan Gleeson added to the cast. This indeed can be off putting as a reader of the book, simply because of the limited screen time these characters and actors receive, but also for the amount of scenes that obviously had to be removed.
    There can be a sense of rush while watching the movie, even though it clocks in at over two and half hours, but when the film hits a high note, it hits it with some force, combining its riveting story with some spectacular special effects, including a frightening and edge of your seat chase through a maze and a fight in the air with a dragon.
    Its clear to see how far the franchise, the story and the real life actors involved have come in four years, how much the story has developed into a less child friendly and more gritty approach, but being as faithful as they can to the source material, another epic adventure has been created, and certainly starts quite the interesting chain of events.
  19. Jun 28, 2013
    Definitely one of the best Harry Potter movies. It's full of amazing set pieces, such as giant dragons and elaborate mazes, all of which seem alive and realistic. The acting, as usual, is very good. It is a very entertaining and easy to follow Harry Potter movie.
  20. Jun 25, 2013
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is visually stunning, dark and incredibly mature, with scary moments and romantic blooms, the PG-13 is accurate, and the story is thrilling, scary and dark, but still it is outstanding and awesome.
  21. Jun 14, 2013
    Goblet of Fire is not the favorite Harry Potter movie but my impression on me, especially the script.

One thing we can never deny the script Goblet of Fire is better, because we know that adapting a book of over 400 pages is not easy. The trail did not please me much (missed impacted) the effects are wonderful as the dragon is imagined Ralph (Voldemort) was the right choice for the
    villain, not denying that Voldemort makeup is beautiful .'s from that movie that things change, now no longer a child, evil takes over and the film begin to get darker and Mike managed to arrive at the right point of change Expand
  22. Jun 11, 2013
    This is the one Harry Potter movie that is clearly distinctive from the rest, and that is why it is one of the best of the series. Sensationally atmospheric and skillfully paced.
  23. Jun 7, 2013
    The turning point in the series. The Goblet of Fire is probably my favorite HP film in the series. I loved the Tri-Wizard Tournament, and I really enjoyed Brendan Gleeson's performance as Professor Moody. Voldemort's first physical appearance is what made the film for me; the film builds perfectly to a strong ending that really adds depth to Harry's character. Ralph Fiennes is terrific as the Dark Lord. Expand
  24. May 10, 2013
    First of all the PG-13 is accurate, it is darkest and the scariest Harry Potter and his friends are now teens (romance alert) and there are defiantly so magical scenes with dark potion added to them, it is a fun yet entertaining ride that absolutely deserves a 10! Meant for teens
  25. Apr 14, 2013
    I thought that this one's action scenes and climax were awesome compared to the previous one. I especially liked how Voldemort finally came into the picture again after his absence in the third film. If you are a fan of the first three, this one is simply a must see.
  26. Mar 28, 2013
    Superb action! Amazing story! "Goblet of Fire" is for sure a great experience! If you watched the previous parts, you're gonna love this one too! My final score is 9/10, near perfect!
  27. Mar 24, 2013
    This film would have been fantastic if they hadn't left out so much from the book.
  28. Dec 31, 2012
    This movie easily has the most changes in terms of book-to-movie out of the four movies thus far. However, while there were many changes, this is also based on an incredibly long book so I totally expected it. Out of the changes, however, only one really bugged me. I hated what they did with Dumbledore's character. After Harry's name gets called by the goblet, he goes absolutely berserk in the movie and even shoves Harry. This never even almost happens in the book and is so outside of the character established already that it felt wrong. Nonetheless, if I try and look at it strictly from a moviegoer's perspective, it was probably the best of the movies so far. The acting was better than in the prior three, the plot progressed more smoothly, and the effects seemed better... especially the dragon sequence. While I wish they would've stuck more closely to the great book, they did do it justice. I would say I only deducted 2 points from the 10/10 maximum for the change to Dumbledore's character and for the fact that there seemed to be a couple of points in the movie where I would've missed what was happening if not for having read the book already. It's easy to get ahead of the movie somewhat if you already know the entire story so I might be exaggerating this effect somewhat but I thought it stood out. Still, this was a very good movie and I look forward to finishing the series. Expand
  29. Dec 21, 2012
    Goblet of Fire is in my opinion the best written out of all the Harry Potters besides maybe the last one. The adrenaline and excitement race in this one. Not to mention the best ending to any of the first 4 Harry Potters. All in All if your looking for excitement this film gives it to you.
  30. Nov 25, 2012
    For some reason, I didn't really care for this installment. Maybe it's because the entire series was finally getting into the 'dark stage', which is (book-wise) the way in which the saga was unfolding. Also, the effects didn't seem to grab me too much. I do want to point out that, even though I didn't like it, I still would recommend it...if anything, just to maintain the continuity of the film series. I may change my feelings about it at a later date, but for now I'll stick with my wand...uh...guns. Expand

1. The best one yet.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Last year's "The Prisoner of Azkaban" seemed dark, but this excellent fourth film derived from J.K. Rowling's books is the darkest "Potter" yet, intense enough to warrant a PG-13 rating.
  3. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    Terrific effects and considerable charm, but, once again, you can't help wishing the filmmakers had been bolder with the adaptation.