Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: July 15, 2009
7.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 1042 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Movie1997Sep 8, 2013
This one was an exceptional movie. The cinematography was beautiful, the story was interesting and engaging and it starts to introduce us to the bitter end of the beloved climax. Overall, a beautiful Harry Potter film. Be sure to check out myThis one was an exceptional movie. The cinematography was beautiful, the story was interesting and engaging and it starts to introduce us to the bitter end of the beloved climax. Overall, a beautiful Harry Potter film. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Expand
Pranay6Mar 15, 2014
Perhaps the best in the movie series, and the movie of the year. Despite disappointing some cinema-goers with a total remove of the fun and playful magic seen in the earliest movies the film stays as close as it can to it's page-turningPerhaps the best in the movie series, and the movie of the year. Despite disappointing some cinema-goers with a total remove of the fun and playful magic seen in the earliest movies the film stays as close as it can to it's page-turning roots. The life and death of the later books are well reflected in this movies. With only some disappointments to the book-readers such as the anti climax "fight" at the end. Managing to retain most of the actors youthful appearances added to the atmosphere. This proves any doubters harry potter can still make a fantastic translation to the screen. Expand
BrunoADJun 14, 2013
Among more hits and less error Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is better than its predecessor!

Now all believe that Voldemort has returned, Harry is the chosen one and the danger this higher, but this does not mean that there is no time for love and humor. Yes we are talking about Rupert Grint showing that Ron is more than a great friend besides Tom Felton also has its highlight, along with Emma Watson and Evanna Lynch HP6 is a great movie recovers all missing in HP5, more suspense, romace, humor and drama effects, soundtrack, art direction are the better of the first six films besides Helena Bonham Carter, Alan R. give their best for two main characters.

The only two things that made missing: more action scenes and some of the memories of Voldemort
AReviewsJun 25, 2013
Note: The following movie is darker than a usual PG movie, so for the best, it is certainly a PG-13 movie with more romance, another important note, it may causes a shock from how outstanding the visuals are, and the story is just magical,Note: The following movie is darker than a usual PG movie, so for the best, it is certainly a PG-13 movie with more romance, another important note, it may causes a shock from how outstanding the visuals are, and the story is just magical, and another note, this sequel proves that Harry Potter saga is everlasting movies and books, that will be written in our hearts for life. Expand
DibbHansenJul 14, 2013
This film is fantastic! Full of fantasy, comedy, heart, emotion, a very well written script (while it may not be 100% faithful to the book, it still keeps in the most important parts and adds some great stuff in there), awesomeThis film is fantastic! Full of fantasy, comedy, heart, emotion, a very well written script (while it may not be 100% faithful to the book, it still keeps in the most important parts and adds some great stuff in there), awesome cinematography, spectacular acting (everyone in here is fantastic!), eye popping visuals and beautiful music (Nicholas Hooper really does a perfect job here): this film boasts it all. This is another one of the BEST Harry Potter films. Expand
TheApplegnomeFeb 19, 2014
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is a great movie, but it contains slowness and boredom.

The opening scene in this movie is great, but also the music. The movie contains many mysterious things that I really think is exiting and spectacular. The actors in this movie are great (at usual), and the film is well made and the story is very entertaining. The climax in this film is very good and the movie overall felt entertaining, especially the ending which was awesome. The bad thing about this movie is that it was a little to slow sometimes and the movie generally wasn't that unique. The tempo was as I mentioned to slow, which made it boring at some places.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is an awesome movie, even though the tempo is a little to slow, but it's still a great movie.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince gets a 8/10
FranzHcriticOct 25, 2013
An improvement from 'Order of Phoenix', 'Half-Blood Prince' draws a little more macabre intentionally to it's style, most likely imitating Alfonso Cuaron's 'Prisoner of Azkaban'. But now I think this was it for me for Harry Potter as I'veAn improvement from 'Order of Phoenix', 'Half-Blood Prince' draws a little more macabre intentionally to it's style, most likely imitating Alfonso Cuaron's 'Prisoner of Azkaban'. But now I think this was it for me for Harry Potter as I've already read Deathly Hallows, and even if I didn't, The ending is obvious and cliched. Harry Potter became annoying after this. I just waited four years to say it. Expand
nickrovertOct 24, 2013
'The Half Blood-Prince' gives fans and viewers looking for both character-driven stories as well as more tense, dark magical premises the best of both worlds.
SomeGuyYouDunnoJan 21, 2014
I was very disappointed with this movie. I watched all the movies except this, and I loved them until the Half-Blood Prince. The plot is very gloomy and full of holes. There is no exciting deathmatches with wands, only a bunch of sloppy AvadaI was very disappointed with this movie. I watched all the movies except this, and I loved them until the Half-Blood Prince. The plot is very gloomy and full of holes. There is no exciting deathmatches with wands, only a bunch of sloppy Avada Kedavras. I did like plenty of parts, but the disappointment watching this was a bit overwhelming. The movie seemed impressively rushed, and you might as well not watch this unless you are a die-hard Harry Potter fan. Expand
SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
Voldemort is tightening his grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was. Harry suspects that dangers may even lie within the castle, but Dumbledore is more intent upon preparing him forVoldemort is tightening his grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was. Harry suspects that dangers may even lie within the castle, but Dumbledore is more intent upon preparing him for the final battle that he knows is fast approaching. Together they work to find the key to unlock Voldemort's defenses and, to this end, Dumbledore recruits his old friend and colleague, the well-connected and unsuspecting bon vivant Professor Horace Slughorn, whom he believes holds crucial information. Meanwhile, one student remains aloof. He is determined to make his mark, albeit a dark one. Love is in the air, but tragedy lies ahead and Hogwarts may never be the same again. Expand
JohnMasterLMay 4, 2015
A pesar de que no tiene en gran parte, absolutamente nada que ver con el libro, The half blood prince es mejor que The Order of the Phoenix en todos los sentidos, la narrativa es superior y mucho mejor, a pesar de que no respeta el 100% de laA pesar de que no tiene en gran parte, absolutamente nada que ver con el libro, The half blood prince es mejor que The Order of the Phoenix en todos los sentidos, la narrativa es superior y mucho mejor, a pesar de que no respeta el 100% de la historia original y de ser una historia oscura y dramática pase a ser una comedia romántica con toques de drama y suspenso, la historia funciona. Es entretenida, pero se queda corta en comparación con las primeras cuatro películas de la saga. Expand
DBPirate1129Jan 11, 2015
Perhaps the funniest Potter installment that features a relatively dark atmosphere which is welcome for fans of Prisoner of Azkaban. The best visuals in the series can be found here along with the talented Jim Broadbent as Horace Slughorn!
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
This one gets everything right, giving us the best of what the world of Harry Potter has to offer; the music, the Quidditch, the comedy, the characters, and it doesn't skimp on anything.
MrMovieBuffNov 7, 2016
The somewhat penultimate installment of the "Harry Potter" stories by J.K. Rowling leads us closer to the end than we ever anticipated, with 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince', we see our main heroes nearing adulthood and adapting toThe somewhat penultimate installment of the "Harry Potter" stories by J.K. Rowling leads us closer to the end than we ever anticipated, with 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince', we see our main heroes nearing adulthood and adapting to bigger changes. Plus, we get an insight to how the Dark Lord can be defeated.

Our main hero, Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) returns with Dumbledore (Michael Gambon) in order to find a former Hogwarts professor named Horace Slughorn (Jim Broadbent) and bring him back to Hogwarts despite his reluctance. It seems that Horace knows about what the young Voldermort, known as "Tom Riddle" was asking for when he was teaching him back in his student days. Dumbledore needs Harry to try and get answers out of Horace, but that seems to be a difficult task on its own.

Harry returns to Hogwarts with Ron (Rupert Grint), Hermione (Emma Watson) and Ginny (Bonnie Wright), and he notices that Draco (Tom Felton) is acting a little suspicious, he suspects that he might possess something mysterious linking to the Dark Lord. Meanwhile, at class, Harry discovers an old text-book that has writing all over it, written by "The Half-Blood Prince", and it seems that this book has all the answers and that Harry can possess great power thanks to this mysterious prince.

Harry attempts everything he can to try and get some answers out of Horace, but still couldn't be able to get anything. Hermione seems to be getting emotionally devastated in regards to Ron falling in love with another Hogwarts student, it seems even more clear that Hermione is infatuated with Ron, but is unable to express her emotion, especially since Ron is unwilling to listen as he already has a girlfriend.

Harry also suspects that Draco and Professor Snape (Alan Rickman) are planning something which relates to them serving the Dark Lord. He believes that they are out to kill. Harry is also still upset at the death of his godfather, Sirius Black (Gary Oldman), which was done in the hands of the menacing Bellatrix Lastrange (Helena Bonham-Carter), and he is still filled with violent revenge, especially knowing about some dark wizard powers that was written by the "Half-Blood Prince".

'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince' is a much darker movie than the previous installments, the cinematography by Bruno Delbonnel is suitably de-saturated to fit the darker tone, especially the more slow-paced storytelling. There are some surprisingly quirky moments, involving Harry's character that add some much needed levity to the darker side of the franchise.

This is a more character driven movie, and I did like it better than "The Order of the Phoenix" (2007), I liked the darker and duller tone, I liked the fact that the characters are more fleshed out than ever, and I liked the funnier and quirky moments. This is a very sharp movie, and brings us closer to the end that makes you more excited, it's definitely one for movie-goers who like their characters fleshed out and the action, more compact.
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015
The sixth Harry Potter movie is essentially a film in limbo. It begins with a wordless shot of Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) still reeling in emotional agony from the events of the last movie, and ends on a miserable moment with no sense of hope,The sixth Harry Potter movie is essentially a film in limbo. It begins with a wordless shot of Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) still reeling in emotional agony from the events of the last movie, and ends on a miserable moment with no sense of hope, or of a plan for the future. Those two anguished sequences set the tone for a fantasy-franchise installment that’s more about atmosphere than story; between them, many things happen, but only the last 20 minutes or so have real repercussions. The rest is buildup, backstory, and plot sidebars signifying nothing, but it’s mighty artful nothing, in which beautifully designed and composed shots and a relentlessly ominous mood give a surprising weight to adolescent love affairs and an exceedingly minor mystery.

To the degree that Half-Blood Prince has a plot rather than a series of milestones in the vast, eight-film arc set to conclude in 2011 (the last book will be split into two films), it revolves around teen wizard Harry Potter trying to pry key information about his evil arch-nemesis Voldemort out of meek, self-serving magic teacher Jim Broadbent. Simultaneously, Harry tries to deduce the identity of “the half-blood prince” who used to own his old textbook, and various romantic developments absorb his friends Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. Familiar characters pop in and out for cameos, and the film even finds time for Quidditch, though director David Yates (who helmed the last series installment, and will tackle the last two as well) finds ways to make even a silly made-up sport played on flying broomsticks look grim and melancholy.

But the film’s real focus is on the evolving sense of dread taking over Harry’s world, for reasons barely seen at all in the film. And all this creeps forward at a remarkably unhurried, deliberate pace, the antithesis of the series’ opening films, with their giddy roller-coaster feel and “Whee! Magic!” theme. It takes a significant amount of investment in the Harry Potter world to make Half-Blood Prince relevant, let alone sensible; the film makes no concession to newbies, and thankfully spends virtually no time reiterating points already covered in previous installments. But those already involved will find that the series has matured much as the books did. This is the darkest, saddest, most sophisticated Harry Potter film yet!
damien_k98Apr 29, 2015
Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince is the funniest of the Harry Potter's. I believe that a long running franchise should at least have one movie in the series to be the funniest and that's were Half Blood Prince stands. The movie stillHarry Potter And The Half Blood Prince is the funniest of the Harry Potter's. I believe that a long running franchise should at least have one movie in the series to be the funniest and that's were Half Blood Prince stands. The movie still keeps that Harry Potter feeling and I did shed tears at the end, but Half Blood Prince is the best summer movie of 2009 and one of my favorite Harry Potter movies! Expand
EpicLadySpongeJan 20, 2016
Once again another great pull-up by Warner Bros. as the franchise begins to have the end soon in their next film which comes out the year after this came out.
FuturedirectorApr 15, 2017
Conserving its witty style and glorious performances, Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince keeps taking the saga even better every time. Harry Potter's fans will no be disappointed.
calouroMay 29, 2016
EU NUNCA ASSISTI ESSE FILME COMPLETO, 'APENAS LIVRO, O QUE É MUITO BOM ENFIM... EU ACHO UMA BLASFEMIA NÃO TEREM POSTO A HERMIONE COM O OLHO ROXO APÓS TER LEVADO UM SOCO KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
superbatJul 22, 2016
This is my fourth favourite in the series (behind the Goblet of Fire, the Philospher's Stone and the Deathly Hallows- Part 2). It is very captivating and has amazing special effects. The acting is perfect in this, and does an excellent job inThis is my fourth favourite in the series (behind the Goblet of Fire, the Philospher's Stone and the Deathly Hallows- Part 2). It is very captivating and has amazing special effects. The acting is perfect in this, and does an excellent job in setting up the Deathly Hallows movies. Expand
alejandro970Apr 26, 2017
Editing just the needly, preserves the spirit of the book. The climatic sequence is one of best of full saga and increase the craving and curiosity to see the final episode.
HPFANBOY1237Apr 9, 2017
One of the darkest and most emotional of the series, Half Blood Prince is also a fun and thrilling ride the whole way through! Even if it could have stuck to the book a little better, it is still another strong entry!