7.1

1. SamuelS.
    Jul 16, 2009
    As someone who has read only the first 3 books, this is by far the most captivating installment in the series. Filled wth more laughs and more tears than any to HP movie to date, this masterpiece will not disappoint and -for the first time - is a breathtaking watch for fans of the books and movies alike.
  2. Jan 28, 2012
    My favorite film in the series and imo this is the film where the franchise is at its peek. Radcliffe is at his best in this film imo and it shows in this film. It also does a great job bring the book to life and does well to make an emotional connect with you as well.
  3. Jun 5, 2016
    Very entertaining and very intriguing at some points too. This movie looks amazing, has an incredible score and great acting. Maybe not a flawless movie, but the flaws it had weren't bothering me.
  4. LuizF
    Nov 16, 2009
    The movie isn't marvellous and isn't a disaster too. For me, It's like a previous for an incredible movie that we'll see in next november. Scenes were added, the attack on Weasley's house was espetaculary made. But, not necessary things were included and necessary facts weren't shown. Because of that scenes, I gave HP'n HBP 9. Very good movie!
  5. SuchK
    Oct 12, 2009
    The best one yet. I saw it the day it came out and they made it 99% like the book. Awesome.
  6. Aug 16, 2010
    Not great, but pretty good. It's one of the weakest films in terms of interest in the story and fun, but the film definitely has emotional power, and Radcliffe is at his best by far here. Everything seems determined to gear up for the final entry in the series, which will likely make or break this reasonably successful film franchise. The momentum built up by this film is prettyNot great, but pretty good. It's one of the weakest films in terms of interest in the story and fun, but the film definitely has emotional power, and Radcliffe is at his best by far here. Everything seems determined to gear up for the final entry in the series, which will likely make or break this reasonably successful film franchise. The momentum built up by this film is pretty substantial near the end. Expand
  7. AmandaM
    Oct 29, 2009
    Best HP movie yet! Makes up for "The Order of the Pheniox" which was extreamly dull. I lvoed how Snape (Alan Rickman) is seen so much in this movie compaired to the others.
  8. JoelleG
    Nov 23, 2009
    Good transitional film. Builds tension for the next installment.
  9. Dec 17, 2011
    Dazzling visuals, some incredible performances stand out Emma Watson, and some emotional depth make this easily one of the best film's in the franchise. I give this film 95% of a good movie.
  10. OvidiuR
    Oct 20, 2009
    Funny,Funny,Funny! This is something that was missing from the other films but this one is full of true, fine humour! Well done David Yates, well done!
  11. T
    Jul 24, 2009
    The best in the series. Script, directing, acting were all very well done. The character development is great. And to differ with some posting, I think the storyline is carried very well. There's a lack of closure which simply leaves you want to more. Highly recommend it.
  12. MitchA.
    Dec 18, 2009
    I'd say HP6 is the best one of the series with a good balence of action and comedy. I say it delievers in a way never thought possible by any Harry Potter movie.
  13. Jun 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half-Blood Prince is one of the best Potter films. It is dark, emotional, and sleek. The acting is great (especially Alan Rickman) and as always the score is stunning. Those who haven't read the books will find it better then those who have, but fans of the book will still love this. I didn't much like how they sort of brushed over the very important Half-Blood Prince thing, and just have Snape randomly say it at the end. But that aside, this is still a fantastic movie. Expand
  14. Aug 9, 2011
    This movie is different than most other Harry Potter movies with the whole teen relationships thing and the introduction of horcruxes. Slughorn is a great character and the meetings with Harry and Dumbledore are very entertaining, making a perfect set up for the ending
  15. Jan 8, 2016
    Director David Yates takes the wizard world into a darker and sentimental area that not only succeeds, but paves the way for the final installments to pick up to.
  16. Jul 5, 2011
    As Harry learns that Hogwarts is no longer safe, he and his friends do a lot of important things that lie just ahead of them while he finds out that his arch-nemesis, Draco Malfoy made an unbreakable vow that if he doens't kill Professor Dumbledore, Professor Snape will kill him himself. With him dead, Harry is given a note that he faked the deathcrux, the only key to Voldemort'sAs Harry learns that Hogwarts is no longer safe, he and his friends do a lot of important things that lie just ahead of them while he finds out that his arch-nemesis, Draco Malfoy made an unbreakable vow that if he doens't kill Professor Dumbledore, Professor Snape will kill him himself. With him dead, Harry is given a note that he faked the deathcrux, the only key to Voldemort's immortality in which he and his friends will succeed in finding them. Saw it with my sister in theaters at the same year and now I will make my opinion just to make this review short. The acting.....amazing The fantasy action.....great The storyline.....well-paced The sad where Professor Dumbledore dies.....so sad it will make you cry your eyes out. The characters.....a little bit developed, but were amazing Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is a dark, emotional, and funny entry in the series. 8/10 Expand
  17. Mar 19, 2011
    It is better than the Order of the Pheonix it's still not as good as the previous movies, it's better because they brought back the humor but it still kept the darker tone and brings tension for the next film.
  18. RaymondR.
    Jul 16, 2009
    As a film, it deserves a 7 out of 10, which I gave out. It has some witty and intense scenes, quickly followed by an uneven plot, which is barely even explained in the movie. As an adaptation on the other hand, it didn't do that well. People that hadn't read the book were totally lost, and wondering what people's motivations were throughout the whole book. You miss out on As a film, it deserves a 7 out of 10, which I gave out. It has some witty and intense scenes, quickly followed by an uneven plot, which is barely even explained in the movie. As an adaptation on the other hand, it didn't do that well. People that hadn't read the book were totally lost, and wondering what people's motivations were throughout the whole book. You miss out on key scenes and character development, basically leaving the 6th installment ending the same as the 5th one (except for you know what). Malfoy's subplot was the most engaging aspect of the movie, as it lets you see his frustration and anger, something really well portrayed by the young actor. Overall, the film is entertaining, but far from perfection as others have posted. 7 out of 10 (film). 4 out of 10 as adaptation. But still, better than that insulting film about glowing vampires. Expand
  19. NickB.
    Jul 18, 2009
    Loved the film-noir style. Also, the juxtaposition of teenage relationships and the not-so-distant war was superb. It was nice to see a Harry Potter movie that was more about developing emotion, character and intent. This movie is intended to be the "calm before the storm" that will be the adaptations of the 7th book, and it does so in an emotionally satisfying way.
  20. JoradT
    Jul 19, 2009
    I thought the film was fantastic. Although it did not have as much action as the other films it certainly was able to capture a dark atmosphere very well. Most people seem to say that if you haven't read the book you won't really understand the plot but I understood it just fine and I haven't read any of the Harry Potter series. The movie overall was very balanced. Great I thought the film was fantastic. Although it did not have as much action as the other films it certainly was able to capture a dark atmosphere very well. Most people seem to say that if you haven't read the book you won't really understand the plot but I understood it just fine and I haven't read any of the Harry Potter series. The movie overall was very balanced. Great acting, CGI, emotion and atmosphere make this something for everyone. Expand
  21. DanaW
    Jul 20, 2009
    Great HP movie...perfect lead-up to the two last movies.
  22. AllieL
    Jul 30, 2009
    I read the books once I finished watching movie 5. I think this movie is one of the closest to the books so far. I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter and it was interesting to see the character's turn into young adults, and it's a bit more easy to relate to the move now then before. I think it's a great prelude to the final movie (Part i and Part II).
  23. JohnS
    Jul 7, 2009
    Extremely dark, and thoroughly intriguing. One of the most anticipated films of the year, living up to its hype.
  24. JasonD
    Aug 10, 2009
    I saw this movie twice and loved it both times. Great addition to the franchise.
  25. LizA
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's a good thing I didn't listen to the silly HP fans whining that "it's not like the book." Why were some expecting an epic battle? Harry doesn't witness much of the battle in the book anyway, the other characters simply tell him about it. The funeral in the book is kind of sappy, having the students and teachers raising their wands to dissipate the dark mark was It's a good thing I didn't listen to the silly HP fans whining that "it's not like the book." Why were some expecting an epic battle? Harry doesn't witness much of the battle in the book anyway, the other characters simply tell him about it. The funeral in the book is kind of sappy, having the students and teachers raising their wands to dissipate the dark mark was more moving. And I didn't think the movie needed an appearance from the Guants, I'd be afraid they'd come off as British rejects from the cast of "Deliverance!" Expand
  26. JonathanA
    Aug 2, 2009
    Beautiful cinematography, an immaculate ensemble, and a storyline that brilliantly mixes the humor of teenage lovestrucks with mystery and horror elements. I liked it a ton.
  27. WoutN
    Aug 7, 2009
    Wow... I think this was almost the best Harry Potter movie. It was darker then other, and the actors were actually good! Well... better then last movies. But I liked watching this one!
  28. DiegoC.
    Aug 5, 2008
    I've got the chance to see one of those very very very rare special screenings. Now Harry Potter is in IMAX and at times in 3D. I don't recomend it, it was much worse than last years Harry Potter . When the 3D wrecked the movie and the ending action sequence. Anyway, this is a movie to see. Harry Potter 5 was a fairly all right movie, it needed to ponder the art of a more I've got the chance to see one of those very very very rare special screenings. Now Harry Potter is in IMAX and at times in 3D. I don't recomend it, it was much worse than last years Harry Potter . When the 3D wrecked the movie and the ending action sequence. Anyway, this is a movie to see. Harry Potter 5 was a fairly all right movie, it needed to ponder the art of a more magical and devloping structure around charisma and the fulfillness of magic teachings. You see in the Order of the Phoenix, Harry taught magic, but director David Yates never gave us the chance to enjoy watching the teachings, rather than watching him and his students blowing out fumes from their wands. They used spells without even casting them. That was lame, but everything else was okay. I'm kind of reviewing the last one mind you. Let me get to this one. I always wondered if Ron were to be in quiditch. And he is, this year at Hogwarts is much better than the last 2 years. He is much more of a character this time, their is much stronger charisma and relationships. Theres a bit of a romance happening, with an intense soul within the romantic boundary. The special effects are fair. The acting is and has always been above average. This isn't just a very normal Harry Potter movie, like the last 4 films. This is a very swift, smoothly paced masterpiece. This is probably in the top 3 best hary potter films. The first two have always been in first place. Just because they have the strongest surface within character, Hogwarts itself, magic, and that creepy sensation. It's very similar to it's previous sequel, but this is so much better. Last time, all Ron was was simply a by-standing follower who does absolutely nothing really. He only has like 15 lines in the whole movie. But in this, many beaming lights shine on his face this time. The situation could have been a bit bigger, but at least it's getting somewhere and doing well at it. Meaning it's doing well portraying a journey when all the film pretty well takes place is at Hogwarts. Thats what this series has success at. The first two journeyed through the history of Hogwarts. The next two were pretty well just the understanding of sn uprising evil. But the next two build and build a surface to contain riveting and intense art so that the audience can be on the edge of their seats. Dumbledore's death was truly emotional and not as lame as Serious' death and over-the-top as Cedric's. This movie is shaped so we know what to expect next time. This movie is when the true war begins. And David Yates succeeds so well in entertaining us. The only problem I have with the last three films altogether is that they are very similar, they are said to be the best ones. But they develop so much that by the end it was for nothing. If their spending 8 movies on killing Voldemart, then they must be wasting their time. Te amount books that J.K. Rowling has for Harry potter is too much, but phenomenal for her success. Even though the last book sucks. They need to really get somewhere with this series for once and stop atht chitter chatter that keeps the characters overdwelling on the very little. Anyway, I'd give it a 9.5/10, but a 10/10 if it weren't so pointless. But I guees when you round stuff up, 10/10 is the answer. But I watch a lot of movies. And this was very good. Wortht seeing, it's one of the best Potter films to date. Expand
  29. KramerC.
    Aug 5, 2008
    I loved this movie. It's by far the best Harry Potter movie to date. I saw the very first special screening, and their was a huge aplause. I'm very impressed. It'sa very slapstick and enjoyable movie. I love it.
  30. ZackT
    Dec 10, 2009
    Agree with Joelle G, good build. A little lack-luster though.
  31. JavierN.
    Oct 5, 2009
    Very funny!
  32. SeanP
    Jul 15, 2009
    The best cinematography you will ever see with a brilliant story to go with it.
  33. memo
    Jul 15, 2009
    I agree that the film was a bit imbalanced in terms of romatic comedy vs. developing major plot points and serious moments. That is my main problem with the film; otherwise it was beautiful, very funny and touching, intense, thrilling, true to the book (particularly the cave scene), and standout acting from Tom Felton, Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint, good acting from Emma Watson, and I agree that the film was a bit imbalanced in terms of romatic comedy vs. developing major plot points and serious moments. That is my main problem with the film; otherwise it was beautiful, very funny and touching, intense, thrilling, true to the book (particularly the cave scene), and standout acting from Tom Felton, Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint, good acting from Emma Watson, and wonderful acting from Jim Broadbent. Good job, Yates and co! Expand
  34. Arshdeep
    Jul 15, 2009
    It is the best harry potter movie even darker then the second one,david yates has done a really goood job and it shows in his intelligent and pacy movie direction.
  35. MackenzieM
    Jul 16, 2009
    I am totally addicted to Harry Potter. I know like every word to all of the movies and now I have another one to remember. Its awesome!!
  36. MikeR
    Jul 16, 2009
    I loved this new installment. I saw the movies devotion to the often bleak mood of the book through its enthralling cinimatography and set decoration. As a resonalble fan of the story, that's all that mattered to me in the end. In other news Radcliffe is getting better, Jim Broadbent was fantastic, and Alan Rickman is cool as always.
  37. KevinG
    Woefully average.
  38. JamesCaley
    Jul 16, 2009
    This film was wonderful. It captured the mixed tonality of the book perfectly. The younger actors are all growing and the more experienced ones continue to shine. The humor worked every time. The effects where spectacular. All around, a film worthy of calling itself part of the Harry Potter universe.
  39. JohnT.
    Jul 16, 2009
    I really enjoyed this movie as a film not an adaption. If i reviewed this as a loyal adaption of the movie, i would have been scaving as i was frustrated with its differences to the book. But the film was funny, dark and kept you fixiated to the screen.
  40. PeteH
    Jul 17, 2009
    Pretty good movie all things considered. Had some clunky bits, but also had some really heart poundingly tense moments. If you hadn't read the book, bits may not make total sense, but it is already a long film, and including everything would see it bulldoze through the three hour mark comfortably!
  41. ChadS.
    Jul 17, 2009
    And now they're old enough to be taught about the birds and the bees. Wizards, witches: they grow up so fast these days, or rather, child actors, some of whom, like the three principal leads in "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince", are lucky enough to remain relevant on the other side of puberty. In the process, however, their sexual maturity can be an uncomfortable experience And now they're old enough to be taught about the birds and the bees. Wizards, witches: they grow up so fast these days, or rather, child actors, some of whom, like the three principal leads in "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince", are lucky enough to remain relevant on the other side of puberty. In the process, however, their sexual maturity can be an uncomfortable experience for some. One-time child actress Alyssa Milano, for example, just twelve when she played Samantha Micelli on the defunct ABC sitcom "Who's the Boss", could have been a daughter you'd be proud to call your own. Next thing you know, she's doing things in Anne Goursaud's "Embrace of the Vampire" that turns you on, but wait a minute, weren't we vicariously experiencing fatherhood through Tony Danza's eyes not so way back? All of nine years when she starred in "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone", Bonnie Wright(playing Ron Weasley's little sister Ginny), ends up in a unexpectedly suggestive position with Daniel Radcliffe(just twelve in the 2001 Chris Columbus-directed film), which began as an innocent offer to tie the wizard's shoes. You can be like the Michael Rappaport character in Ted Demme's "Beautiful Girls", who says about the beautiful, young Marty(Natalie Portman), "If she can cut her own food, she's fair game," but such objectification borders on the amoral. In "Beautiful Girls", Willie Conway(Timothy Hutton) tells a friend, "I was jealous of a little kid on a bike, because he gets to be her age, and I'm this vile old man," but since his relationship with the girl remains platonic, the male viewer never gets to be that "vile old man", diegetically speaking. But in "The Half-Blood Prince", Wright is indeed subjected to the male gaze, and for added kink, her image is mastered through a virginal wizard's bespectacled eyes. Expand
  42. DanielV.
    Jul 18, 2009
    Well, I thoroughly enjoyed it, as I am a big Harry Potter fan. But I honestly do not think this movie could have strayed any farther from the book! Yates did not do a good job at captivating the story of Half Blood Prince, and I was disappointed. For those who have not read the books could essentially view this movie as filler. I am just glad Bay didn't direct this movie.
  43. PatrickG.
    Jul 18, 2009
    I thought this was one of the best Harry Potter movies so far. I'm not a hardcore fan, but I have read all the books and seen all the movies. The movie moved at a quick pace, and the sprinkling of humor helped lighten the mood at just the right moments. My only complaint was the ending. I remembered it being much more dramatic in the book.
  44. GermanB.
    Jul 18, 2009
    Loved it!!! The best so far... it's darker, and funny, the performances are really good, the music is beautiful, the cinematography is really good too; in the end, a really good summer blockbuster and a good addition to the series, let´s wait DH:P1.
  45. SteveW
    Jul 19, 2009
    Lived up to the hype, again the 'kids movie' title was dropped. The 'gang' is growing up, and the director's are choosing to highlight this with the subsequent mood and body language of every character involved. Although director David Yates was obviously playing with the plot to suite the final installments, the story told was nothing but perfection.
  46. JaymeeB
    Jul 20, 2009
    Excellent screenplay. The movie was able to condense the book and all its nuances and side stories into a tight 2 1/2 hour movie. It may have missed the characterization and development of Voldermort as the arch-nemesis of Harry Potter, but overall it paints a convincing picture of the 6th installment of the Potter story.
  47. JeremyM
    Jul 22, 2009
    Beautifully understated and bitter sweet - this last ever chance for a little happiness at childhood's end, before we and the gang are plunged headlong into the full-on craziness of the Deathly Hallows!
  48. BryanK
    Jul 23, 2009
    Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was by far the best film of the series since Chamber of Secrets in 2002. After the good third and fourth entries and the average fifth entry, This film did everything right. The film was comical in a sense and left the movie crowd laughing. Many things became the subject of jokes including the fact it has been eight years since the series began and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was by far the best film of the series since Chamber of Secrets in 2002. After the good third and fourth entries and the average fifth entry, This film did everything right. The film was comical in a sense and left the movie crowd laughing. Many things became the subject of jokes including the fact it has been eight years since the series began and yet the cast is to be in their late teenage years. One scene has Dumblerdore taking a magazine to pursue his sewing. Several items from previous items including Tom Riddle's diary and the map which monitors everyone's movements from the third film. The film however was dark like previous entries and had some grim situations. A major character dies which was depressing, yet realistic. It will most likely affect the next film in many ways. Their was a romantic kiss between Harry and Ron's sister Ginnie which was nice and assisted the film in small ways. The only major problem with the film was not a true confrontation between the Dark Lord and Harry which makes this the second film in which he does not appear. Overall an excellent entry which makes up for the weaknesses of the fifth film and defines the series in every way. Expand
  49. RobC
    Jul 23, 2009
    In no way a disappointment, HBP the film IS a faithful take on the book - as one critic put it, in fact, it's a much tighter rendition of the story than Rowling's overwritten original. As for these silly negative comments from people who've hated all the Potter films... what did you expect when you went to see HBP? Seriously? Did someone force you at gunpoint to watch a In no way a disappointment, HBP the film IS a faithful take on the book - as one critic put it, in fact, it's a much tighter rendition of the story than Rowling's overwritten original. As for these silly negative comments from people who've hated all the Potter films... what did you expect when you went to see HBP? Seriously? Did someone force you at gunpoint to watch a film you had no desire to see? And by that action, did you feel compelled to slate it on Metacritic? Grow up, people. For fans of the films and Harry Potter universe (i.e. those people who WANT to watch this film), be assured that the emotional weight, comedy, romance and horror all add up to the best Potter film yet. Can't wait to see how Yates tops this with the two-part finale. Expand
  50. JohnF.
    Jul 20, 2009
    This was by far the best film version of one of the Harry Potter books. I really enjoyed the added touches of humor amidst an otherwise very tense and dramatic story.
  51. HaydenM
    Jul 25, 2009
    Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince does not disappoint. The characters are likable(like always), the plot is great, and the director did a magnificent job including all of the important parts that were in the book. This Harry Potter film adaptation is pretty close to the book, with everything being included except for a few minor scenes. David Yates's directing has improved since Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince does not disappoint. The characters are likable(like always), the plot is great, and the director did a magnificent job including all of the important parts that were in the book. This Harry Potter film adaptation is pretty close to the book, with everything being included except for a few minor scenes. David Yates's directing has improved since he did Order of the Phoenix, which left a lot of important parts out. I was amazed by this improvement. This is the second best Harry Potter film, right behind Goblet of Fire. Expand
  52. shikshak
    Jul 26, 2009
    This movie is one of the superb among HP series and can keep its viewers excited throughout it.However, as usual its story line has become like summary to the book.
  53. LindaG
    Jul 26, 2009
    Although the movie was entertaining, I find myself trying hard not to be disappointed in the movie and in the fact that J. K. Roling had agreed to the extreme alteration of her work. Though entertaining, the movie showed little resemblance to the book. Prior movies, although leaving out information, followed the books much more closely. The movie revolved more around the relationship Although the movie was entertaining, I find myself trying hard not to be disappointed in the movie and in the fact that J. K. Roling had agreed to the extreme alteration of her work. Though entertaining, the movie showed little resemblance to the book. Prior movies, although leaving out information, followed the books much more closely. The movie revolved more around the relationship between the characters. The book revolved around discovering the secrets that might lead to Voldamort Expand
  54. TomaB
    Jul 20, 2009
    Although i had some issues with this one , i still enjoyed the film a lot! good balance between romance and more seroius stuff. I liked the latter more. The cave scene was brilliant! I guess Harry Ginny relationship is not shown in the best way, but the books is no better in this one for me so not big deal. I totally loved Lavender. The bottom line i can't think of anyone not Although i had some issues with this one , i still enjoyed the film a lot! good balance between romance and more seroius stuff. I liked the latter more. The cave scene was brilliant! I guess Harry Ginny relationship is not shown in the best way, but the books is no better in this one for me so not big deal. I totally loved Lavender. The bottom line i can't think of anyone not enjoying ,at least a bit, the last installment. Expand
  55. WillC
    Jul 31, 2009
    I've learnt to take the books and the films as different entities. If you go into the cinema expecting the film to replicate the book scene for scene, not only will you be there for days, but you'll have to sit through a lot of the rubbish waffle that Rowling left in. The film itself was good, funny in parts, well acted, altough it's clear that the movie is just a prelude I've learnt to take the books and the films as different entities. If you go into the cinema expecting the film to replicate the book scene for scene, not only will you be there for days, but you'll have to sit through a lot of the rubbish waffle that Rowling left in. The film itself was good, funny in parts, well acted, altough it's clear that the movie is just a prelude to the seventh and eigth films, thus the plot is a bit lacking and there are scenes which aren't as tense, or will have been left for the last couple two films. Expand
  56. KyleG.
    Jul 5, 2009
    I saw a sneak peak with my friend, and i have to say that this is one of the best harry potter movies out there. Way better than the 5th which was horrible, and if you say it was good, you are not a potter fan.
  57. Fred
    Jul 6, 2009
    If you want to complain about the voting system, do it some other way than giving legit movies a low score.
  58. AkashK
    Jul 7, 2009
    Amazing film. I haven't seen a movie magical like this in 4 years (last one being Goblet of Fire, OOTP disappointed). The art direction was beautiful, the action was amazing, the yellow tinge was a nice touch, and the performances, especially of the trio, Gambon, Rickman, Broadbent, Smith, and Carter were powerful. If you liked Goblet of Fire, you'll love this!
  59. ozmonkey
    Aug 16, 2009
    Ive read the books, the best is still to come and this movie was great considering the material was quite boring as it is (in the 6th book).
  60. AaronN
    Aug 6, 2009
    Deep like the harry potter's that came before it (with the exception of the prisoner of azkaban, a bizzarly bland entry) THe Half blood prince introduces itself n such a way that continues throughout the movie, using what they never used in the past installments, WB emphasized on excellent lighting, wound, and weather effects. Each key is struck in the visuals department, the magic Deep like the harry potter's that came before it (with the exception of the prisoner of azkaban, a bizzarly bland entry) THe Half blood prince introduces itself n such a way that continues throughout the movie, using what they never used in the past installments, WB emphasized on excellent lighting, wound, and weather effects. Each key is struck in the visuals department, the magic is much more fluctuous and mysterious, warming with a dash of welcome harry potter succeeds in places the earlier installments failed, pays all tributes very well. With all of the matured characters, the environmental amplification of hogwarts, and the overall chaos and tyranny written the plot itself and followed the book almost exactly the way it was meant to be, despite the fact Lord Voldemorts originality was partially stained by Harry's choice to say his name. Expand
  61. JohnSmith
    Sep 27, 2009
    Oi all you dickheads that think this film is bad are retarded this is by far the best film of them all. It is actually true to th books and all of you bsbies who are upset that it is actually good now should go suck your bitch of a mother
  62. VanessaJ.
    Sep 28, 2009
    Daniel your so cute and i really like all harry potter movies and i wish that you come here in Philippines because we love you so much....... and i really love you :) your number one fan here in Philippines, Vanessa joy Castillo :)
  63. ConnorM
    Sep 5, 2009
    As a movie, this is an enjoyable film and is worth anyone's money. However as a fan of the book I was quite dissaponted. There were too many things to name that I wish were there while other things I wish were excluded (The burning of the burrow comes to mind). I have been frustrated so far with Yate's first 2 movies but with the next movie being split (and having a HUGE budget As a movie, this is an enjoyable film and is worth anyone's money. However as a fan of the book I was quite dissaponted. There were too many things to name that I wish were there while other things I wish were excluded (The burning of the burrow comes to mind). I have been frustrated so far with Yate's first 2 movies but with the next movie being split (and having a HUGE budget to work with) I can't help but look forward to them. As a movie it deserves its 7 (if I had never read the book it may have earned an 8 or 9) but prepare to be dissapointed if you've read the book. Expand
  64. BalmC.
    Aug 8, 2008
    It's Excellent. Very entertaining and magical. It's more slapstick but less dark and more fun. It reminded me of the first two Potter films. The best one yet.
  65. Luara
    Oct 1, 2009
    Quite possibly the best one yet. There are gapping holes - like not much explanation on who the HBP is and what the rest of the horcruxes are, and way to much focus on the R/Hr stuff that got boring by the end. The acting, especially for the youngsters is superb, the score is beautiful. And as someone who did not enjoy Luna in the books or morvies, I was glad that she barely had screen Quite possibly the best one yet. There are gapping holes - like not much explanation on who the HBP is and what the rest of the horcruxes are, and way to much focus on the R/Hr stuff that got boring by the end. The acting, especially for the youngsters is superb, the score is beautiful. And as someone who did not enjoy Luna in the books or morvies, I was glad that she barely had screen time this time. She's very one note. Expand
  66. JT
    Oct 3, 2009
    This film makes up for the extremely dull "Order of the Phoenix".
  67. LeeJ.
    Feb 14, 2009
    Really fantastic: Epic and tragic.
  68. BryceS.
    Jul 15, 2009
    For those who love the series, this might make you both happy and sad. For both what happens in this movie, alone, or through out the series. It makes you impatient for the final two movies, but also keeps you the viewers entertained and wanting more.
  69. SheilaS
    Jul 15, 2009
    This movie is by far the best from the harry potter franchise. The snogging could have been less, but even so, the acting gets better as this series goes along and that is all one can ask for. i can not wait to see how it all ends.
  70. ArticX
    Jul 15, 2009
    Best of the series, there's no doubt. It even links and closes some plots better than the source material, Rowling's book, which is just incredible. Of course, some scenes are missing and some action is added, but that's just necesary for a film adaptation -you have to remember, it's not a book anymore, the pace HAS to be different, and therefore, some minor changes Best of the series, there's no doubt. It even links and closes some plots better than the source material, Rowling's book, which is just incredible. Of course, some scenes are missing and some action is added, but that's just necesary for a film adaptation -you have to remember, it's not a book anymore, the pace HAS to be different, and therefore, some minor changes have to be made to keep you interested. And even with that changes, it's one of the most faithfull adaptations, maybe after the first two -which were ABSOLUTELY faithfull, which is not really good. Why? Again; it's a film, not a book. This one is entertaining, moving... well, immersive. Great photograhy, even greater GCI, well-connected plot (as I said, better than the book in some places). It's a 9 film for me. But not a 10, because further mention and research of the Half-Blood Prince identity and Voldemort's would have been really helpfull. But I can forgive that, because the rest of the film is amazing. Expand
  71. AnonymousMC
    Jul 15, 2009
    Could have been great, but there was too much gossip girl and not enough emphasis on the death eaters. the climax didnt come until about the last half hour. as a stand alone movie, it was decent; but overall as a HP film, it was a bit disappointing, especially the end.
  72. SamJ
    Jul 15, 2009
    Best Potter film in a long time. Some changes will leave fans wondering why they were made, but the over all story is intact and is very enjoyable. Acting was superb, I even thought that Radcliffe did a great job.
  73. LauraL
    Jul 15, 2009
    I consider this movie the BEST of the BEST! It kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the whole film! I will most likely go see it 5 more times. It is a must see for all HP fans!
  74. AliciaA
    Jul 15, 2009
    Best movie yet. Missing some details, but what do you expect with a two and half hourish movie. I think it captures the feeling of the book much better than any of the previous ones. This felt more like a movie. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I still captured me. There are some clues to the next installment if you pay attention enough.
  75. ChrisP
    Jul 15, 2009
    Absolutely brilliant. Maybe not quite Prisoner of Azkaban levels of brilliant, but brilliant nonetheless.
  76. BobbyM.
    Jul 15, 2009
    Amazing!!!! the best movie in the series since azkaban and one of the best of the year!! cant wait 4 deathly hallows!!
  77. DavidC.
    Jul 15, 2009
    Simply beautiful! I left completely in awe! Everything worked so well together, easily my favorite Potter movie now and I am a hard sell. A must see!
  78. Andrew
    Jul 15, 2009
    Fans who read the books may be left with a sense of anti-climax with the ending. Other than that, this is easily the best Harry Potter movie yet. Simple as that.
  79. KellyH.
    Jul 15, 2009
    It was really good if you didn't recently read the book, they might have focused to much on the teen drama. But all-in-all, GREAT movie!!
  80. MelissaE
    Jul 15, 2009
    HBP is my favorite in the series so I was incredibly excited to see the film at midnight last night. I enjoyed it a lot, but have to say it did not live up to its written version or my expectations. The movie spent so much time focused on love potions and teen angst that the really important issues felt rushed and glossed over. The book is my favorite because it reveals so much to us HBP is my favorite in the series so I was incredibly excited to see the film at midnight last night. I enjoyed it a lot, but have to say it did not live up to its written version or my expectations. The movie spent so much time focused on love potions and teen angst that the really important issues felt rushed and glossed over. The book is my favorite because it reveals so much to us about Tom Riddle/Voldemort Expand
  81. John
    Jul 15, 2009
    Overall, it was a very good movie. It was dramatic, romantic, and at times violent. However, I gave it a 9 because they made the ending too sad to conclude a movie.
  82. JohnT
    Jul 16, 2009
    This was not the best one I've seen. To be honest, my favorite still remains the third one. But it was by no means a bad one. The good actors, like Alan Rickman, return with stirring new performances, and the scene where (spoiler!) Dumbledore dies generates much more emotion than the book did. Quite a few people are giving it bad reviews because it wasn't that true to the book. This was not the best one I've seen. To be honest, my favorite still remains the third one. But it was by no means a bad one. The good actors, like Alan Rickman, return with stirring new performances, and the scene where (spoiler!) Dumbledore dies generates much more emotion than the book did. Quite a few people are giving it bad reviews because it wasn't that true to the book. That's because this isn't a movie adaptation, this is a film based off a book. The writers and directors took creative freedom rather than adhere strictly to the book (which the first two movies were actually berated for). Many people went to see that movie expecting it to be exactly like the book. Myself and many others went in expecting to see a movie. With this one, don't expect, just watch and enjoy what it has to offer (a mature, dark plot, quirky verbal, physical, and romantic humor, and a sobering ending). My main problem is the burning down of the Weasley home. It was meant to make us realize the danger present, and that would have been a good idea, had that event actually been alluded to later on in the film rather than just completely forgotten about. While by no means does this book achieve the status of Jackson's legendary Lord of the Rings movies, which in my opinion are some of the best movie adaptations I have ever seen, this film is enjoyable and should be seen in the theaters, where films always have the most power. Expand
  83. MatthewR
    Jul 16, 2009
    There is no doubt to the fact that this film should have been absolutely terrible. It wasn't. It's beautifully artistic both visually and linguistcally and can still get the enjoyable funny laughs when it wants to. It never once during the movie did the producers seemed like they were 'overdoing' it. Small parts can sometimes seem boring and irrelavent, but completely There is no doubt to the fact that this film should have been absolutely terrible. It wasn't. It's beautifully artistic both visually and linguistcally and can still get the enjoyable funny laughs when it wants to. It never once during the movie did the producers seemed like they were 'overdoing' it. Small parts can sometimes seem boring and irrelavent, but completely worth your money to see. 90% *** Expand
  84. DallasS
    Jul 16, 2009
    The Good: The acting has improved in the younger cast members, and the older actors continue to shine. The romantic plotlines were done well and provided comic relief. The cinematography and musical score were excellent as usual. The Bad: Too many scenes from the book were omitted from the movie, many of which are crucial to the ongoing story. The Durseleys and Kreacher are completely The Good: The acting has improved in the younger cast members, and the older actors continue to shine. The romantic plotlines were done well and provided comic relief. The cinematography and musical score were excellent as usual. The Bad: Too many scenes from the book were omitted from the movie, many of which are crucial to the ongoing story. The Durseleys and Kreacher are completely left out. The appointment of Snape to his new post didn't feel nearly as shocking as it did in the book. The revelation of the Half-Blood Prince's true identity is reduced to little more than a throw-away line. The Bottom Line: If you're familiar with the books, you know that many of the events in HBP serve to set up even greater revelations in DH. I can't help but feel that this film didn't accomplish that feat. I'm left wondering how Harry will pursue his goal while not being given enough clues on the screen compared to what he was given on the page. If you're not familiar with the books, this film will probably seem a bit confusing to you as it hurries through some scenes and omits others. Still, what does survive the transition from page to screen is actually pretty enjoyable, which is why I gave it a rating of 7. Expand
  85. RossB
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fantastic , absolutely loved it. My favourite of the films so far, for afew reasons -1. there is no bad acting, as much as i love azkaban there are some terrible acting moments in that.....2.the cinemtagrophy is stunning.....3.funniest of the films yet with a great script, ...and 4.most emotional by far, everyhing has much more weight and consequence....it may be building up to the really Fantastic , absolutely loved it. My favourite of the films so far, for afew reasons -1. there is no bad acting, as much as i love azkaban there are some terrible acting moments in that.....2.the cinemtagrophy is stunning.....3.funniest of the films yet with a great script, ...and 4.most emotional by far, everyhing has much more weight and consequence....it may be building up to the really good stuff at the end, but man what a build up. Fantastic! Expand
  86. CarlosD
    Jul 16, 2009
    A decent argument can be made that this is the best installment of the film series. What David Yates lacks in subtlety he makes up for with a thrilling and spellbinding pace. He gets the feeling of reading the series exact right and the actors finally seem to have enough chops to make it work. My issues with the film stem only from some of Steve Kloves' adaptation decisions. The A decent argument can be made that this is the best installment of the film series. What David Yates lacks in subtlety he makes up for with a thrilling and spellbinding pace. He gets the feeling of reading the series exact right and the actors finally seem to have enough chops to make it work. My issues with the film stem only from some of Steve Kloves' adaptation decisions. The story focuses too much on Slughorn's memory and not enough on the search for the titular prince. Expand
  87. DanielD.
    Jul 16, 2009
    Excellent Adaptation!! Completely thrilling from beginning to end!! I can't wait for DH1 & 2!
  88. LuisG
    Jul 16, 2009
    "Harry Potter and the half blood prince " titled after and based on the book by JK Rowling is far detached from the book- for one we never get full mention of who that prince might be until the films slow and uneventful cliffanger finale . Pleanty of back and forth kid romancing and occasional chuckles. Half Blood Prince not only strays away from its title but also never really sees true "Harry Potter and the half blood prince " titled after and based on the book by JK Rowling is far detached from the book- for one we never get full mention of who that prince might be until the films slow and uneventful cliffanger finale . Pleanty of back and forth kid romancing and occasional chuckles. Half Blood Prince not only strays away from its title but also never really sees true splendor like its previous installments the drama is there yet a reluntant one. Its true treasure is the cast who have grown and inbodied thier characters. Lets hope the next two films learn from thier mistakes here. Expand
  89. MarcosP
    Jul 16, 2009
    It's is very different from the book, but is the best movie ever. The only thing missed was the information about the other Horcruxes.
  90. AshleshKothari
    Jul 16, 2009
    Excellent movie. Spectacular effects.
  91. David
    Jul 16, 2009
    Very good movie, but jumped around a bit too much from one thing to another. Perhaps there was so much to try to fit in that there was not enough film time for more natural flow throughout the movie. I'm going to see it again, though, this time not at 12:01!
  92. RyanA
    Jul 17, 2009
    The best one yet! Thrilling action and set pieces combined with oscar worthy acting and occasionally funny moments make Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince the best movie of the summer.
  93. NirujanG
    Jul 17, 2009
    Its no more a kids movie, way too serious and matured and kinda dragging. The movie was dark just like how the book was, but the thing what i didn't like was that the story wasn't explained properly. The director cannot expect everyone to have read the book. I actually went with a friend who hasn't read the book, he was left fully confused i had to explain the story on the Its no more a kids movie, way too serious and matured and kinda dragging. The movie was dark just like how the book was, but the thing what i didn't like was that the story wasn't explained properly. The director cannot expect everyone to have read the book. I actually went with a friend who hasn't read the book, he was left fully confused i had to explain the story on the way back. In the previous movies they put only little things from the book and explained it well but here they have tried to put more story and failed to explain it. Even then there was some scenes which were very well taken. The background score could have been better, some parts would have been better if there was a music at the background, without being silent. The comedy was very good. What i think is that the movie would have been much better if they have put the climax fight from the book by removing some unwanted scenes which wasn't there in the book. There wasn't much magic or fight in the movie which my friend was expecting and it also failed to satisfy me by not showing the plots properly. Even though this movie lacks magic which the previous movies had one thing has improved a lot, the acting specially Dumbledore, when i watched the 4th movie i was very disappointed by his acting, instead of being calm and matured he was so jumpy and overactive but here he performed very well by bring out the real Dumbledore from the book. My suggestion for the movie makers would be to bring back John Williams, the music he composed for Prisoner of azkaban is one of the best composition i have ever heard. Overall it was fine. Expand
  94. GlenA
    Jul 17, 2009
    This is the best Harry potter movie so far! It is very funny and emotional.
  95. SebastianL
    Jul 17, 2009
    Two consistent complaints--(1) that the movie recklessly, if at all, adapts the book and (2) that the movie has no central story--ironically settle one another. In fact, Rowling's book lacks a self-contained story and is itself a hodge-podge of fillers that simply builds an emotional bridge to the conclusion. So the film represents the basic play of the book very well. In fact, Two consistent complaints--(1) that the movie recklessly, if at all, adapts the book and (2) that the movie has no central story--ironically settle one another. In fact, Rowling's book lacks a self-contained story and is itself a hodge-podge of fillers that simply builds an emotional bridge to the conclusion. So the film represents the basic play of the book very well. In fact, considering that #7 basically saves Hogwarts for a final fireworks show (and otherwise forgets it), Yates basically had no option but to treat this as Hogwart's/Dumbledore's farewell (and Malfoy's/Snape's hello/grander hello). That being said, switching out a few teen tryst scenes for a few scenes more directly following the book's slightly elevated arc of a plot would have resulted in less viewer confusion--and fan frustration. Treating the movie as-is, this installment bravely decides to rest on the shoulders of the actors and largely succeeds in the endeavor. Broadbent's Slughorn matches Staunton's Umbridge from Phoenix, which is saying something, and Rickman's Snape presses the character to new places. For my money, only two movie characters absolutely embody their counter characters in the books: Snape and Luna. Which leads to the concluding note: as the movie wages so much on the talents of its young actors, it suffers because the actress who plays Ginny just isn't up to the task. The "romance" (ick) scenes between Harry and her are uncomfortable, to spin it positively. Since Yates doesn't mind taking liberties with the novels, let Harry end up with Luna and don't worry about explaining it (we're used to a lack of explanation at this point). Expand
  96. RyanW
    Jul 17, 2009
    It was good and very funny but the ending could have been better, there was no massive duel with the death eaters. generally i liked it but i just wished they had made it a little more accurate to the book, they changed partys of the plot for no apparent reason. it was good but could still have been better for me.
  97. KevinC.
    Jul 17, 2009
    The story is better, the effects are better, its funnier, and just more entertaining than the other Harry Potter movies. Also, Helena Bonham Carter is very very good.
  98. tracyd
    Jul 17, 2009
    I think that this is one of the best Harry Potter books yet. i love the humor and it had enough action to keep you interested. For anyone that read the book would know that even the book had a lot of snogging and it was more about getting to see the character mature, there was very little fight scenes in the book as well so I think they did a great job putting into a movie that you could I think that this is one of the best Harry Potter books yet. i love the humor and it had enough action to keep you interested. For anyone that read the book would know that even the book had a lot of snogging and it was more about getting to see the character mature, there was very little fight scenes in the book as well so I think they did a great job putting into a movie that you could enjoy in only 2 1/2 hours. Well Done!! Expand
  99. BrianM
    Jul 18, 2009
    As someone who has read the books, I have to admit that the amount of plot left out of the movie was disappointing. But that said, as a cinematic experience The Half Blood Prince was thrilling and very fun to watch. The acting skills of the cast as a whole have noticeably improved from other installments, and the stronger focus on characters besides Harry was a nice change of storytelling As someone who has read the books, I have to admit that the amount of plot left out of the movie was disappointing. But that said, as a cinematic experience The Half Blood Prince was thrilling and very fun to watch. The acting skills of the cast as a whole have noticeably improved from other installments, and the stronger focus on characters besides Harry was a nice change of storytelling style. Overall, what was used from the original plot-line still made for a good movie, making it one of my favorite Potter films. It shows promise for the next chapter, which, being split into two movies, might allow the final book to be told with a more complete story line. Expand
  100. MikeN.
    Jul 18, 2009
    Lacks a proper villain. None of the baddies gets enough lines to reach critical menace. Nice production, good acting. Watchable.

1. David Yates, in his go at the helm, throws the emphasis on the gathering storm clouds even as Harry and his fellow wizardry students make further discoveries involving the opposite sex.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Dazzlingly well made and perhaps deliberately less fanciful than the previous entries, this one is played in a mode closer to palpable life-or-death drama than any of the others and is quite effective as such.
  3. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    We're marking time before the final battle between Good and Evil, with the promised darkness sitting somewhat clumsily with teen romance and humour.