Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: July 15, 2009
7.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 1041 Ratings
WATCH NOW
FuturedirectorApr 15, 2017
Conserving its witty style and glorious performances, Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince keeps taking the saga even better every time. Harry Potter's fans will no be disappointed.
HPFANBOY1237Apr 9, 2017
One of the darkest and most emotional of the series, Half Blood Prince is also a fun and thrilling ride the whole way through! Even if it could have stuck to the book a little better, it is still another strong entry!
MrMovieBuffNov 7, 2016
The somewhat penultimate installment of the "Harry Potter" stories by J.K. Rowling leads us closer to the end than we ever anticipated, with 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince', we see our main heroes nearing adulthood and adapting toThe somewhat penultimate installment of the "Harry Potter" stories by J.K. Rowling leads us closer to the end than we ever anticipated, with 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince', we see our main heroes nearing adulthood and adapting to bigger changes. Plus, we get an insight to how the Dark Lord can be defeated.

Our main hero, Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) returns with Dumbledore (Michael Gambon) in order to find a former Hogwarts professor named Horace Slughorn (Jim Broadbent) and bring him back to Hogwarts despite his reluctance. It seems that Horace knows about what the young Voldermort, known as "Tom Riddle" was asking for when he was teaching him back in his student days. Dumbledore needs Harry to try and get answers out of Horace, but that seems to be a difficult task on its own.

Harry returns to Hogwarts with Ron (Rupert Grint), Hermione (Emma Watson) and Ginny (Bonnie Wright), and he notices that Draco (Tom Felton) is acting a little suspicious, he suspects that he might possess something mysterious linking to the Dark Lord. Meanwhile, at class, Harry discovers an old text-book that has writing all over it, written by "The Half-Blood Prince", and it seems that this book has all the answers and that Harry can possess great power thanks to this mysterious prince.

Harry attempts everything he can to try and get some answers out of Horace, but still couldn't be able to get anything. Hermione seems to be getting emotionally devastated in regards to Ron falling in love with another Hogwarts student, it seems even more clear that Hermione is infatuated with Ron, but is unable to express her emotion, especially since Ron is unwilling to listen as he already has a girlfriend.

Harry also suspects that Draco and Professor Snape (Alan Rickman) are planning something which relates to them serving the Dark Lord. He believes that they are out to kill. Harry is also still upset at the death of his godfather, Sirius Black (Gary Oldman), which was done in the hands of the menacing Bellatrix Lastrange (Helena Bonham-Carter), and he is still filled with violent revenge, especially knowing about some dark wizard powers that was written by the "Half-Blood Prince".

'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince' is a much darker movie than the previous installments, the cinematography by Bruno Delbonnel is suitably de-saturated to fit the darker tone, especially the more slow-paced storytelling. There are some surprisingly quirky moments, involving Harry's character that add some much needed levity to the darker side of the franchise.

This is a more character driven movie, and I did like it better than "The Order of the Phoenix" (2007), I liked the darker and duller tone, I liked the fact that the characters are more fleshed out than ever, and I liked the funnier and quirky moments. This is a very sharp movie, and brings us closer to the end that makes you more excited, it's definitely one for movie-goers who like their characters fleshed out and the action, more compact.
superbatJul 22, 2016
This is my fourth favourite in the series (behind the Goblet of Fire, the Philospher's Stone and the Deathly Hallows- Part 2). It is very captivating and has amazing special effects. The acting is perfect in this, and does an excellent job inThis is my fourth favourite in the series (behind the Goblet of Fire, the Philospher's Stone and the Deathly Hallows- Part 2). It is very captivating and has amazing special effects. The acting is perfect in this, and does an excellent job in setting up the Deathly Hallows movies. Expand
Rutger-KikkertJun 5, 2016
Very entertaining and very intriguing at some points too. This movie looks amazing, has an incredible score and great acting. Maybe not a flawless movie, but the flaws it had weren't bothering me.
calouroMay 29, 2016
EU NUNCA ASSISTI ESSE FILME COMPLETO, 'APENAS LIVRO, O QUE É MUITO BOM ENFIM... EU ACHO UMA BLASFEMIA NÃO TEREM POSTO A HERMIONE COM O OLHO ROXO APÓS TER LEVADO UM SOCO KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
EpicLadySpongeJan 20, 2016
Once again another great pull-up by Warner Bros. as the franchise begins to have the end soon in their next film which comes out the year after this came out.
geo333Jan 8, 2016
Director David Yates takes the wizard world into a darker and sentimental area that not only succeeds, but paves the way for the final installments to pick up to.
TrilobiteGAug 9, 2015
A tad slow at times, but the half-blood prince is the best movie in this entire franchise for keeping dialogue moving at a slow pace, WHILST keeping it interesting as well! Finally! Also, more dark fantasy action to be had (not as much asA tad slow at times, but the half-blood prince is the best movie in this entire franchise for keeping dialogue moving at a slow pace, WHILST keeping it interesting as well! Finally! Also, more dark fantasy action to be had (not as much as goblet of fire) and a more dark and sincere tone to it, building up for the grande finale. Expand
JohnMasterLMay 4, 2015
A pesar de que no tiene en gran parte, absolutamente nada que ver con el libro, The half blood prince es mejor que The Order of the Phoenix en todos los sentidos, la narrativa es superior y mucho mejor, a pesar de que no respeta el 100% de laA pesar de que no tiene en gran parte, absolutamente nada que ver con el libro, The half blood prince es mejor que The Order of the Phoenix en todos los sentidos, la narrativa es superior y mucho mejor, a pesar de que no respeta el 100% de la historia original y de ser una historia oscura y dramática pase a ser una comedia romántica con toques de drama y suspenso, la historia funciona. Es entretenida, pero se queda corta en comparación con las primeras cuatro películas de la saga. Expand
damien_k98Apr 29, 2015
Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince is the funniest of the Harry Potter's. I believe that a long running franchise should at least have one movie in the series to be the funniest and that's were Half Blood Prince stands. The movie stillHarry Potter And The Half Blood Prince is the funniest of the Harry Potter's. I believe that a long running franchise should at least have one movie in the series to be the funniest and that's were Half Blood Prince stands. The movie still keeps that Harry Potter feeling and I did shed tears at the end, but Half Blood Prince is the best summer movie of 2009 and one of my favorite Harry Potter movies! Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015
The sixth Harry Potter movie is essentially a film in limbo. It begins with a wordless shot of Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) still reeling in emotional agony from the events of the last movie, and ends on a miserable moment with no sense of hope,The sixth Harry Potter movie is essentially a film in limbo. It begins with a wordless shot of Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) still reeling in emotional agony from the events of the last movie, and ends on a miserable moment with no sense of hope, or of a plan for the future. Those two anguished sequences set the tone for a fantasy-franchise installment that’s more about atmosphere than story; between them, many things happen, but only the last 20 minutes or so have real repercussions. The rest is buildup, backstory, and plot sidebars signifying nothing, but it’s mighty artful nothing, in which beautifully designed and composed shots and a relentlessly ominous mood give a surprising weight to adolescent love affairs and an exceedingly minor mystery.

To the degree that Half-Blood Prince has a plot rather than a series of milestones in the vast, eight-film arc set to conclude in 2011 (the last book will be split into two films), it revolves around teen wizard Harry Potter trying to pry key information about his evil arch-nemesis Voldemort out of meek, self-serving magic teacher Jim Broadbent. Simultaneously, Harry tries to deduce the identity of “the half-blood prince” who used to own his old textbook, and various romantic developments absorb his friends Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. Familiar characters pop in and out for cameos, and the film even finds time for Quidditch, though director David Yates (who helmed the last series installment, and will tackle the last two as well) finds ways to make even a silly made-up sport played on flying broomsticks look grim and melancholy.

But the film’s real focus is on the evolving sense of dread taking over Harry’s world, for reasons barely seen at all in the film. And all this creeps forward at a remarkably unhurried, deliberate pace, the antithesis of the series’ opening films, with their giddy roller-coaster feel and “Whee! Magic!” theme. It takes a significant amount of investment in the Harry Potter world to make Half-Blood Prince relevant, let alone sensible; the film makes no concession to newbies, and thankfully spends virtually no time reiterating points already covered in previous installments. But those already involved will find that the series has matured much as the books did. This is the darkest, saddest, most sophisticated Harry Potter film yet!
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
This one gets everything right, giving us the best of what the world of Harry Potter has to offer; the music, the Quidditch, the comedy, the characters, and it doesn't skimp on anything.
DBPirate1129Jan 11, 2015
Perhaps the funniest Potter installment that features a relatively dark atmosphere which is welcome for fans of Prisoner of Azkaban. The best visuals in the series can be found here along with the talented Jim Broadbent as Horace Slughorn!
talhalafciDec 20, 2014
Best of the series.It's the darkest, most thrilling, and emotionally deep fantasy film ever.Great CGI sets and visual effects, breathtaking cinematography and marvellous performances from every single member of the tremendous cast.It is aBest of the series.It's the darkest, most thrilling, and emotionally deep fantasy film ever.Great CGI sets and visual effects, breathtaking cinematography and marvellous performances from every single member of the tremendous cast.It is a dramatic triumph. Expand
TokyochuchuDec 1, 2014
By the time the Half Blood Prince arrives in the Harry Potter franchise, it's pretty much bulletproof. Great movie after great movie after... You get the point. The characters have become so well defined and lovable that something would haveBy the time the Half Blood Prince arrives in the Harry Potter franchise, it's pretty much bulletproof. Great movie after great movie after... You get the point. The characters have become so well defined and lovable that something would have to go really wrong to put a dent in the series. Nothing of that kind even remotely happens in the Half Blood Prince. Indeed, the concentrated character development in this action-lite entry makes for a fantastic diversion before the thunderous two-part finale. Expand
SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
Voldemort is tightening his grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was. Harry suspects that dangers may even lie within the castle, but Dumbledore is more intent upon preparing him forVoldemort is tightening his grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was. Harry suspects that dangers may even lie within the castle, but Dumbledore is more intent upon preparing him for the final battle that he knows is fast approaching. Together they work to find the key to unlock Voldemort's defenses and, to this end, Dumbledore recruits his old friend and colleague, the well-connected and unsuspecting bon vivant Professor Horace Slughorn, whom he believes holds crucial information. Meanwhile, one student remains aloof. He is determined to make his mark, albeit a dark one. Love is in the air, but tragedy lies ahead and Hogwarts may never be the same again. Expand
oxanaAug 25, 2014
I haven't read the book, so I can't compare the two. Also, I watched "The Order of the Phoenix" the night before seeing this one, which may have been a mistake...

"The Half-Blood Prince" starts with a bang, goes on with other irregular

"The Half-Blood Prince" starts with a bang, goes on with other irregular bangs, and ends... well, with a bang? There is no usual beginning-middle-end -rhythm to be found in this movie. The plot moves in plunges from one scene to another, which seem a little unrelated sometimes. They just don't come together as a whole movie.

The acting is a little stiff, especially from the older actors. It seemed much smoother in the last films, so I don't know that's going on with that.

The theme seems to be the amusing/saddening stuff with the young love going on in the movie. Some of it is totally cliché - and some you can feel personally, like Hermione's anguish.

There was action, and there was some fun, and it's hard to remember it all because this movie was both long and distracting; there was no main plot to hold onto.

The very end scene of the movie was just lame. It totally ruins the mood they had been building. Too much of the usual "I'm off to do it on my own" and "We're coming with you 'cause we are yours friends" stuff, and realizing the simple beauty of the world etc.

Other than that... it's still pretty good, and I'm sure a second viewing will make some things to make a lot more sense. I was tempted to give the movie three and half stars, but maybe four is fairer - for now.

I'm looking forward to the final movies of the series, and hope them to be better structured than "The Half-Blood Prince". Because frankly, after the steady, beautiful flow that was "The Order of the Phoenix", this was a bit of a mess.
JrAgujaIsAGleekJun 22, 2014
I’ll be honest. While I still stand my opinions, I felt like I have been biased reviewing the Harry Potter movies as a fan of the books. In Order of the Phoenix (my favorite book in the series), I have been trying to watch the movie as if II’ll be honest. While I still stand my opinions, I felt like I have been biased reviewing the Harry Potter movies as a fan of the books. In Order of the Phoenix (my favorite book in the series), I have been trying to watch the movie as if I have never read the book, and it seemed to have worked for me a bit despite I am a bit upset with some of the changes. What matters most is I enjoyed it and I did enjoy it.

Speaking of enjoyment, I was a little bored in some parts of the movie. Maybe that’s because I already know what happens next and also because the battle scenes near the end of the film wasn’t that adventurous as the previous movie, which is also my (only) problem in the book.

You cannot put everything in the movie and I understand it. And to my surprise, I was okay with most of the changes more than the changes they did in Order of the Phoenix and the rest of the movies. Of course, the book is obviously better but they put out most of the important stuff in the movie.

But, there were two changes that I am not okay with in the movie:

-Voldemort’s past in the movie wasn’t explained in its complete form from the book. That was the most important driving force of the movie! I am not very satisfied.
-The Burrow on fire? Was that even important? That wasn’t even in the book and it didn’t do much for the plot in the movie.

But hey! It’s only fewer changes that I wasn’t okay with compared to the other movies, with the most changes I wasn’t okay with is Prisoner of Azkaban.

And now, the changes I am okay with. Since there were a lot, I am going to list down a few:

-Instead of showing the Prime Minister in the beginning of the book, they showed the actual incidents in the bridge and in Diagon Alley in the first scene. This excited me and I am sure it excited both the readers and the non-readers.
-I was okay with Dumbledore’s funeral scene being cut in the movie only because the scene where everyone in Hogwarts raised their wands in honor of Dumbledore was emotional enough. (I had tears coming out for god’s sakes) Without that part, then I would have been upset.
-The small battle in Hogwarts was cut. I think they’re saving this up for the bigger, better battle in Hogwarts in the part two of the final movie.

The cinematography is really great and the special effects make it very realistic. And of course, the movie is very emotional compared to the rest of the movies. That’s the highlight of the entire movie, besides the performance from the cast of course. It seems like these actors were born to play their characters!

While I was a bit bored, this movie got my emotions out and I was okay with most of the changes. Of course, cinematography, cast performances and special effects were great. And most of all, I enjoyed it though I enjoyed watching Order of the Phoenix better. And also, this movie just set up what will happen in the final two movies.
Pranay6Mar 15, 2014
Perhaps the best in the movie series, and the movie of the year. Despite disappointing some cinema-goers with a total remove of the fun and playful magic seen in the earliest movies the film stays as close as it can to it's page-turningPerhaps the best in the movie series, and the movie of the year. Despite disappointing some cinema-goers with a total remove of the fun and playful magic seen in the earliest movies the film stays as close as it can to it's page-turning roots. The life and death of the later books are well reflected in this movies. With only some disappointments to the book-readers such as the anti climax "fight" at the end. Managing to retain most of the actors youthful appearances added to the atmosphere. This proves any doubters harry potter can still make a fantastic translation to the screen. Expand
TheApplegnomeFeb 19, 2014
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is a great movie, but it contains slowness and boredom.

The opening scene in this movie is great, but also the music. The movie contains many mysterious things that I really think is exiting and spectacular. The actors in this movie are great (at usual), and the film is well made and the story is very entertaining. The climax in this film is very good and the movie overall felt entertaining, especially the ending which was awesome. The bad thing about this movie is that it was a little to slow sometimes and the movie generally wasn't that unique. The tempo was as I mentioned to slow, which made it boring at some places.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is an awesome movie, even though the tempo is a little to slow, but it's still a great movie.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince gets a 8/10
SomeGuyYouDunnoJan 21, 2014
I was very disappointed with this movie. I watched all the movies except this, and I loved them until the Half-Blood Prince. The plot is very gloomy and full of holes. There is no exciting deathmatches with wands, only a bunch of sloppy AvadaI was very disappointed with this movie. I watched all the movies except this, and I loved them until the Half-Blood Prince. The plot is very gloomy and full of holes. There is no exciting deathmatches with wands, only a bunch of sloppy Avada Kedavras. I did like plenty of parts, but the disappointment watching this was a bit overwhelming. The movie seemed impressively rushed, and you might as well not watch this unless you are a die-hard Harry Potter fan. Expand
OfficialNov 1, 2013
Director David Yates returns to direct the sixth film in the franchise, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince". Realizing some of the weaknesses in the fifth film, improvements has been made but some remain. There's a bit of Quidditch thisDirector David Yates returns to direct the sixth film in the franchise, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince". Realizing some of the weaknesses in the fifth film, improvements has been made but some remain. There's a bit of Quidditch this time round, and there's more delightful scenes. However, Yates puts too much time on the romantic and not enough on the actual plot itself. Expand
FranzHcriticOct 25, 2013
An improvement from 'Order of Phoenix', 'Half-Blood Prince' draws a little more macabre intentionally to it's style, most likely imitating Alfonso Cuaron's 'Prisoner of Azkaban'. But now I think this was it for me for Harry Potter as I'veAn improvement from 'Order of Phoenix', 'Half-Blood Prince' draws a little more macabre intentionally to it's style, most likely imitating Alfonso Cuaron's 'Prisoner of Azkaban'. But now I think this was it for me for Harry Potter as I've already read Deathly Hallows, and even if I didn't, The ending is obvious and cliched. Harry Potter became annoying after this. I just waited four years to say it. Expand
nickrovertOct 24, 2013
'The Half Blood-Prince' gives fans and viewers looking for both character-driven stories as well as more tense, dark magical premises the best of both worlds.
Movie1997Sep 8, 2013
This one was an exceptional movie. The cinematography was beautiful, the story was interesting and engaging and it starts to introduce us to the bitter end of the beloved climax. Overall, a beautiful Harry Potter film. Be sure to check out myThis one was an exceptional movie. The cinematography was beautiful, the story was interesting and engaging and it starts to introduce us to the bitter end of the beloved climax. Overall, a beautiful Harry Potter film. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Expand
Mad_Hatter91Aug 16, 2013
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is a 2009 fantasy film directed by David Yates with Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint and Michael Gambon.
After detecting the wizarding world the truth about the return of Voldemort, Harry Potter begins the sixth year at Hogwarts witchcraft. In this installment of the series, in addition to having to deal with his own adolescence, Harry must help Dumbledore discover a dark secret about the Dark Lord and to do so will have to rummage in the past of one who must not be named.
This film adaptation of JK Rowling is better than the fifth chapter (also directed by Yates). There have been many improvements in director David Yates. Meanwhile, on a visual level we have seen improvements in special effects and set design (which in the Order of the Phoenix could be better exploited), but especially for the photography of the film that has been used well and gave us shots of landscapes really beautiful.
The only flaw of the film is the script. Have relied heavily on young love and adolescence leaving out some details regarding the mystery regarding Voldemort which made it a little more difficult for people who have not read the books of Rowling understand the storyline. The error of the film was also to add, in the romantic moments, scenes that can be defined a little ridiculous. For the rest of the film features a great cast of actors among which Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman and Tom Felton. The latter has fared very well in the role of Draco Malfoy.
StevenFJul 16, 2013
As the franchise nears its end and the run time ticks on in the Half-Blood Prince, we are me with the realisation that the sixth instalment really serves as an adjoining film, and while the acting is superb and the older members of the castAs the franchise nears its end and the run time ticks on in the Half-Blood Prince, we are me with the realisation that the sixth instalment really serves as an adjoining film, and while the acting is superb and the older members of the cast are given their moments, Harry Potters new adventure lacks the heart and magical escapism that most of its predecessors possessed.
We are introduced to a wizarding world that has accepted the return of Lord Voldemort, but also a world which is in turmoil. Attacks in regular human beings, or muggles, are in full swing from the Death Eaters, while Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) continues to seek answers and deal with the loss of another loved one, while still attending Hogwarts.
Things at the school are changing, Dumbledore (Michael Gambon) is more vigilant towards Harry, Snape (Alan Rickman) has become defence against the Dark Arts teacher and Professor Slughorn, played with a irritable brilliance by Jim Broadbent, is the new Potions master.
Harry comes across a book with the title of the film across it- Property of the Half-Blood Prince, and learns a few new things from the mysterious owner of the book.
The shift in tone for the sixth film sees a more talkative and slower film, and while I personally relish, it departs too much from the overall tone of the source material, everything seems like it is building to something bigger which we rarely see, with too much time being spent on developing irregular scenes rather than developing the story arc.
But alas, the performances are exceptional, especially from Alan Rickman, Michael Gambon and Jim Broadbent, they all share candid scenes with Harry which are simply electrifying. The scenes between Harry and Dumbledore in particular really show how far we have come and how close to the end we are.
But with all the talking going on, it is still visual marvel, when Harry and Dumbledore discover the intentions of Voldemort, their journey takes them to lakes involving fire and other magical presences, creating some spectacular scenes. But of course there is tragedy at every turn and this the most brutal yet, leaving a real hole in Harry’s life and is uphill battle to defeat Lord Voldemort.
Hagrid comments that storm is coming, and we best be ready when it does, and no truer words may have been spoken.
DibbHansenJul 14, 2013
This film is fantastic! Full of fantasy, comedy, heart, emotion, a very well written script (while it may not be 100% faithful to the book, it still keeps in the most important parts and adds some great stuff in there), awesomeThis film is fantastic! Full of fantasy, comedy, heart, emotion, a very well written script (while it may not be 100% faithful to the book, it still keeps in the most important parts and adds some great stuff in there), awesome cinematography, spectacular acting (everyone in here is fantastic!), eye popping visuals and beautiful music (Nicholas Hooper really does a perfect job here): this film boasts it all. This is another one of the BEST Harry Potter films. Expand
AReviewsJun 25, 2013
Note: The following movie is darker than a usual PG movie, so for the best, it is certainly a PG-13 movie with more romance, another important note, it may causes a shock from how outstanding the visuals are, and the story is just magical,Note: The following movie is darker than a usual PG movie, so for the best, it is certainly a PG-13 movie with more romance, another important note, it may causes a shock from how outstanding the visuals are, and the story is just magical, and another note, this sequel proves that Harry Potter saga is everlasting movies and books, that will be written in our hearts for life. Expand
BrunoADJun 14, 2013
Among more hits and less error Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is better than its predecessor!

Now all believe that Voldemort has returned, Harry is the chosen one and the danger this higher, but this does not mean that there is no time for love and humor. Yes we are talking about Rupert Grint showing that Ron is more than a great friend besides Tom Felton also has its highlight, along with Emma Watson and Evanna Lynch HP6 is a great movie recovers all missing in HP5, more suspense, romace, humor and drama effects, soundtrack, art direction are the better of the first six films besides Helena Bonham Carter, Alan R. give their best for two main characters.

The only two things that made missing: more action scenes and some of the memories of Voldemort
HaithamBayazeedMay 10, 2013
Harry Potter is a lot more darker than ever it is defiantly a PG-13, it is turning to sexual subjects, a darker past but a well pleasing art!
forestvilleMar 31, 2013
The Half-Blood Prince is my favorite book of the entire series of HP, but I can not say the same for the movie is very good, but something is not completely convinced. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the book, is undoubtedly one ofThe Half-Blood Prince is my favorite book of the entire series of HP, but I can not say the same for the movie is very good, but something is not completely convinced. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the book, is undoubtedly one of the strongest chapters in the saga of the boy wizard, not only marked by the evolution of the characters, but by the presence of factors that keep the fabric of the child for get into a world more real, closer to us, more full of risk, of chiaroscuro, of stories that sometimes conclude without happy endings.
It's not easy to turn the book into a film, as it is one of the most extensive histories of the saga of the boy wizard Potter, but David Yates's film (his second in the series) refreshes the collection and shows a visual maturity that is not seen much in recent deliveries, bringing it to dramatic German Expressionism, highlighting a picture of it and a more elaborate edition repeatedly surprised by their creativity, not to mention the special effects are still remarkably good.

The problem that has had the cast from the fourth movie (Goblet of Fire) is not acting with the feeling that they must act according to their role. Not that I do not, but it is very minimal and so this feeling is not to be transmitted in each scene, the only ones who have managed to get all the juice in your paper are: Michael Gambon as Albus Dumbledore, Jim Broadbent as Horance Slughorn and surprise, Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy, who mingles with hate weakness. Daniel Radcliffe was almost there too, but in the final scenes do not make it, I miss you put more feeling into his role in those scenes.
The best scenes are certainly: The hijacking of the wands to comiezo maker, makes the viewer is encouraged to see it complete, that was my caso.Tambien and best of all is the cave where Dumbledore and the young Potter one fora seeking to destroy the Dark Lord, the Horcrux and also the sad Dumbledore dies, the movie that made striking, except for some performances of the cast, but anyway, give emotion to the movie.
Although the film may well be said to be a set of chiaroscuro, (in all senses), it is also a product that is worth to be seen and enjoyed by all, but especially by fans of the series, who, with the support of book, with much greater intensity live the experience.
My Score: 8.6
SEROJMar 28, 2013
The begging of the end! AMAZING story and movie! If you're a Harry Potter fan and you watched the previous parts, this one will definitely Thrill you! I'm not going to add any spoilers, my final score for this amazing Harry Potter movie is 8/10!
Bruce722Jan 7, 2013
This is the first time in this series where I can honestly say that the movie was every bit as good as the book... though, for different reasons. You see, there is not all that much adventure and action sequences in the book so, while itThis is the first time in this series where I can honestly say that the movie was every bit as good as the book... though, for different reasons. You see, there is not all that much adventure and action sequences in the book so, while it doesn't drag because the characters are and plot development is outstanding, it still felt a bit on the long side. This caters perfectly for the movie. The challenges in fitting in all sorts of scenes are completely different than those in fitting in various emotions, which is what they faced when making this movie. In capturing those emotions, thoughts, moments of internal conflict, etc. they did a fantastic job. The only thing I thought they could've done a better job of was making Dumbledore's exit a bit more emotional like it was in the book. Still though, they did a great job there in general so that's not the reason I didn't give it a perfect ten. That reason lies with the fact that they hinted towards things in this movie that were not so profound in the book. I have not finished the final book yet so I can only speculate on some of the things I was already wondering but it seems as though, regarding Severus Snape, that they took advantage of knowing the ending of the entire story rather than the particular book itself. By knowing this, it seems as though they hint a little more at certain elements of the story than the book did causing you to think entirely differently about the act that took place. Nonetheless, this movie was still outstanding and I look forward to watching the final one(s). Expand
FilmEqualsJoyNov 10, 2012
I love this Potter! Paranoia is pumping in the veins of Hogwarts. Yates does a brilliant job with number 6. It is dark and gloomy, but also quite funny. Although humor and darkness make themselves presence, one can't ignore the feeling ofI love this Potter! Paranoia is pumping in the veins of Hogwarts. Yates does a brilliant job with number 6. It is dark and gloomy, but also quite funny. Although humor and darkness make themselves presence, one can't ignore the feeling of sadness. Well done! Expand
potatoes351Aug 14, 2012
The war is on between good and evil. Just a shame I cant remember much about it. HP:HBP wasn't boring like OotP but it was just forgettable with samey SFX used in all the previous films and poor choice of what bits to include from the booksThe war is on between good and evil. Just a shame I cant remember much about it. HP:HBP wasn't boring like OotP but it was just forgettable with samey SFX used in all the previous films and poor choice of what bits to include from the books and what not to pick. It was a good, entertaining film but nothing more than filler for the final instalment. Expand
MonsieurEamesJul 12, 2012
Another winner for Mr. Yates! He does a terrific job changing the tone from sad, to scary, and even to funny. And the humor is this film is great! It had me laughing out loud at several scenes. Oh, the magic!
ZilcellMay 25, 2012
The series still entertains after this many movies.
MegWhiteleyMar 28, 2012
The most dark chapter of the saga. I think that is really interesting, but have a big problem, much of the magic things in the other films, don't stay in the six part. Is good, dark, but some strange.
imthenoobJan 28, 2012
My favorite film in the series and imo this is the film where the franchise is at its peek. Radcliffe is at his best in this film imo and it shows in this film. It also does a great job bring the book to life and does well to make anMy favorite film in the series and imo this is the film where the franchise is at its peek. Radcliffe is at his best in this film imo and it shows in this film. It also does a great job bring the book to life and does well to make an emotional connect with you as well. Expand
javis10Jan 11, 2012
The most foolish Harry Potter movie, but it is better than The Order of the Phoenix. Because it is darker, more funny, creepy, sadly and enjoyable. But is is very far from the book and there were somethings that were missing and wereThe most foolish Harry Potter movie, but it is better than The Order of the Phoenix. Because it is darker, more funny, creepy, sadly and enjoyable. But is is very far from the book and there were somethings that were missing and were necessary to understand the story. Expand
AquophisDec 28, 2011
Unfortunately, this one takes departures from the book that didn't really sit well with me. It was, namely, the decision to take out the two most emotionally rousing scenes in the book - the battle at Hogwarts, and the white tomb, and replaceUnfortunately, this one takes departures from the book that didn't really sit well with me. It was, namely, the decision to take out the two most emotionally rousing scenes in the book - the battle at Hogwarts, and the white tomb, and replace the empty screentime with a shot of the Burrow burning down that never happened in the book. But despite this, the film is arguably the funniest out of them all. It's probably the worst of the lot, but it's still great. Expand
heyitsmegrif4Dec 17, 2011
Dazzling visuals, some incredible performances stand out Emma Watson, and some emotional depth make this easily one of the best film's in the franchise. I give this film 95% of a good movie.
Potter17Dec 10, 2011
Like "Deathly Hallows, Part 1" the film doesn't focus on action or story development but it focus on the characters and how they have been affected by Voldemort and his followers. Delbonnel's cinematography illustrates that well, depictingLike "Deathly Hallows, Part 1" the film doesn't focus on action or story development but it focus on the characters and how they have been affected by Voldemort and his followers. Delbonnel's cinematography illustrates that well, depicting the world as we know as not innocent anymore, but as dark and frightening. However, Half-Blood Prince feels a way too long and doesn't add almost nothing to the future story. Expand
spadenxDec 7, 2011
I havent liked the HP series that much so I didnt have a lot of hope for this film but I was suprised that I actually really liked it. I thought it did a good job staying true to the book and it was nice to see Michael Gambon (Dumbledore) getI havent liked the HP series that much so I didnt have a lot of hope for this film but I was suprised that I actually really liked it. I thought it did a good job staying true to the book and it was nice to see Michael Gambon (Dumbledore) get more screen time and show off his skills - Unlike the other films hes in. It was well worth watching. Expand
marnee96Nov 4, 2011
An excellently crafted sixth installment in the most successful film franchise in history. It's dark, intense, emotional and occasionally quite funny as teenage hormones run rampant throughout the halls of Hogwarts, despite many additions andAn excellently crafted sixth installment in the most successful film franchise in history. It's dark, intense, emotional and occasionally quite funny as teenage hormones run rampant throughout the halls of Hogwarts, despite many additions and cut-outs from the story. Not like it matters, but it's just a little disappointing for the die hard fans. Also I found that the pace was a little too slow, thus weakening the momentum of the film. 3 1/2 out 4 stars. Expand
JawsPapi87Aug 9, 2011
This movie is different than most other Harry Potter movies with the whole teen relationships thing and the introduction of horcruxes. Slughorn is a great character and the meetings with Harry and Dumbledore are very entertaining, making aThis movie is different than most other Harry Potter movies with the whole teen relationships thing and the introduction of horcruxes. Slughorn is a great character and the meetings with Harry and Dumbledore are very entertaining, making a perfect set up for the ending Expand
HasrionaJul 20, 2011
This Harry Potter film has a feel to it which no other Harry Potter film has. It's has a perpetual and omnipresent tone of darkness and subdued magic, brought on from its spectacular score and superb acting. It certainly is an interestingThis Harry Potter film has a feel to it which no other Harry Potter film has. It's has a perpetual and omnipresent tone of darkness and subdued magic, brought on from its spectacular score and superb acting. It certainly is an interesting creation, compelling the audience into the story throughout. It's certainly not the best Harry Potter film, but, by no measure, is it the worst. 8/10 Expand
TheGorillaJul 19, 2011
This has to be the best Potter movie.
AlnORTIZJul 11, 2011
While Half-Blood Prince isn't perfect, it sure expands upon the Harry Potter feel like no other. The plot here is sticking to the main plot, but missing out on the cool side stories. Th performances are the deepest than before and the visualsWhile Half-Blood Prince isn't perfect, it sure expands upon the Harry Potter feel like no other. The plot here is sticking to the main plot, but missing out on the cool side stories. Th performances are the deepest than before and the visuals make the film a great watch! There wasn't as much action has before, but this addition is still entertaining to watch! Expand
filmtrashreviewJul 10, 2011
The best film in the Harry Potter Franchise so far. Half-Blood Prince is exciting, refreshing and stands on it's own. Some of the Potter films lack whither it is story line or direction. The Half-Blood Prince finally completes the tripleThe best film in the Harry Potter Franchise so far. Half-Blood Prince is exciting, refreshing and stands on it's own. Some of the Potter films lack whither it is story line or direction. The Half-Blood Prince finally completes the triple threat well acted, perfectly directed with a killer script. Expand
MovieLonely94Jul 5, 2011
As Harry learns that Hogwarts is no longer safe, he and his friends do a lot of important things that lie just ahead of them while he finds out that his arch-nemesis, Draco Malfoy made an unbreakable vow that if he doens't kill ProfessorAs Harry learns that Hogwarts is no longer safe, he and his friends do a lot of important things that lie just ahead of them while he finds out that his arch-nemesis, Draco Malfoy made an unbreakable vow that if he doens't kill Professor Dumbledore, Professor Snape will kill him himself. With him dead, Harry is given a note that he faked the deathcrux, the only key to Voldemort's immortality in which he and his friends will succeed in finding them. Saw it with my sister in theaters at the same year and now I will make my opinion just to make this review short. The acting.....amazing The fantasy action.....great The storyline.....well-paced The sad where Professor Dumbledore dies.....so sad it will make you cry your eyes out. The characters.....a little bit developed, but were amazing Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is a dark, emotional, and funny entry in the series. 8/10 Expand
AtTheMoviesJun 18, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half-Blood Prince is one of the best Potter films. It is dark, emotional, and sleek. The acting is great (especially Alan Rickman) and as always the score is stunning. Those who haven't read the books will find it better then those who have, but fans of the book will still love this. I didn't much like how they sort of brushed over the very important Half-Blood Prince thing, and just have Snape randomly say it at the end. But that aside, this is still a fantastic movie. Expand
jimmytancrediMay 29, 2011
The most hated movie by most fans of HP, because it was unfaithful through the book. However this is by far the greatest success of Half-Blood Prince. Although it has cut some important memories and said little about the Horcruxes, theThe most hated movie by most fans of HP, because it was unfaithful through the book. However this is by far the greatest success of Half-Blood Prince. Although it has cut some important memories and said little about the Horcruxes, the greater freedom in adapting that Kloves had ended up making this the best film in the saga (until he came Deathly Hallows, of course). Yates has also improved a LOT, and achieves good moments of humor and manages to emote in some scenes. The performances are very good this young. Radcliffe shows good comic timing, and Grint. And Emma Watson makes a beautiful performance here. The adult cast, as always, is wonderful. Alan Rickman, Michael Gambon, Helena Bonham Carter and Jim Broadbent are simply fantastic. Great visual effects (the second best of the series), a beautiful photograph and a wonderful soundtrack make this one of the best technically as well. Expand
sreekiranMay 5, 2011
story is as of that book. some changes made and it was not gripping. screenplay is the fault here. the story with a cause must be really motivating. but screenplay fades in the first half after 30 minutes and goes dull with all unnecessarystory is as of that book. some changes made and it was not gripping. screenplay is the fault here. the story with a cause must be really motivating. but screenplay fades in the first half after 30 minutes and goes dull with all unnecessary scenes for about 20 minutes. however rare interjections of some memories were present. but still i felt that the movie dragged deeply. second half came and again movie had slow impact for about 20 minutes or so. some romance and fun scenes are not at all necessary and it disturbed the narrative deeply. any way the last 20 minutes was very good and movie concluded to a perfection. direction is top notch and thats why i feel that the movie is good. neat performance by daniel emma and rupert. micheal gambon"s performance is good. alan rickman was good in his limited role. rest all did perform good. the lead casts were perfect and thats the driving factor for the movie. technically speaking rich visuals and some eye popping special effects in the climax cave sequence along with teleportation was very good. editing needed a better work. if i had been editor i would have trimmed it altleast for 20 minutes or so. the main scenes did not get focus. the climax is cliched and ended suddenly. even though movie is 150 minutes nearly. it was entertaining for about 100 minutes. the remaining 50 minutes was nothing but real boredom. finally half blood prince is good in parts and great in certain parts and worst in some sections. i recommend the movie. Expand
Blu_BirdApr 17, 2011
Watched it today, and i liked it. i loved to watch my fantasy which was the book come to life so i can not only watch but read my way along side harry and his friends battle throughout the wizarding world. except for cut out scenes, and editsWatched it today, and i liked it. i loved to watch my fantasy which was the book come to life so i can not only watch but read my way along side harry and his friends battle throughout the wizarding world. except for cut out scenes, and edits to scenes changing what i viewed in the book, i loved it Expand
TheQuietGamerMar 19, 2011
It is better than the Order of the Pheonix it's still not as good as the previous movies, it's better because they brought back the humor but it still kept the darker tone and brings tension for the next film.
Film_Fanatic_15Nov 22, 2010
As the 6th one begins, not only Hogwarts is in danger, but the muggle world too. No longer Harry is a small child that was almost killed by the darkest and one of the most powerful wizards in history, but fans know that the end is near. SoonAs the 6th one begins, not only Hogwarts is in danger, but the muggle world too. No longer Harry is a small child that was almost killed by the darkest and one of the most powerful wizards in history, but fans know that the end is near. Soon Voldemort will come out of hiding and meet Harry. Fans will find the secret to Voldemort's immortality and the wizarding world could never have been more dangerous. He still has Ron and Hermoine to look up to, but it is no more fun and games. The movie however, was. Impressive special effects and groundbreaking sequences events, turn this into one of the most intense films of the entire franchise. David Yates amazes me again, and audiences will be anticipating the end for the final 7th installment of one of the world's most successful franchises. Expand
geo_thebestNov 7, 2010
Absolutely satisfying! Atmospheric and darker than any previous film, it succeeds in staying loyal to the book as it brings on screen all the things we loved from J.K. Rowling. Superb visual effects and score! It is really epic! Daniel, EmmaAbsolutely satisfying! Atmospheric and darker than any previous film, it succeeds in staying loyal to the book as it brings on screen all the things we loved from J.K. Rowling. Superb visual effects and score! It is really epic! Daniel, Emma and Rupert prove their talent! I was really amazed about how all these inversions in the plot fit only in a two and a half hour film! Loved it! Expand
JudddyOct 3, 2010
The series only continues to get better! This film is definitely the funniest Harry Potter film so far, as well as the most emotional, and its definitely up there for entertainment as well. The middle section of the plot is slow and not muchThe series only continues to get better! This film is definitely the funniest Harry Potter film so far, as well as the most emotional, and its definitely up there for entertainment as well. The middle section of the plot is slow and not much happens, however this is made up for by the brilliant opening and climax. The acting is the best so far and the visuals are stunning, this is truly an excellent film and I found it highly enjoyable, despite a few flaws and areas that I would change here and there. If you're looking for pure action though, this is not the film for you, and perhaps that is one of the few let downs of this film. 'Deathly Hallows' will hopefully improve on that. Expand
SusanoSep 24, 2010
While certainly not perfect, and perhaps a tad disapointing, it till delivers one of the better films of 2009, outshining the occasionally bland Avatar and delivering a rather faithful bit of fan surface too. Not the best film ever, perhapsWhile certainly not perfect, and perhaps a tad disapointing, it till delivers one of the better films of 2009, outshining the occasionally bland Avatar and delivering a rather faithful bit of fan surface too. Not the best film ever, perhaps not even the best Harry Potter film, but it's essential for Harry Potter fans, and a well directed film, with some major back up from it's source material. Expand
ryancarroll88Aug 27, 2010
If you can resist the fanboy urge to pick apart every plot detail and scour all the scenes for inaccuracies, you'll find yourself watching probably one of the most enjoyable and well-crafted movie in the film series so far (but I think by nowIf you can resist the fanboy urge to pick apart every plot detail and scour all the scenes for inaccuracies, you'll find yourself watching probably one of the most enjoyable and well-crafted movie in the film series so far (but I think by now it's just become a sad tradition for the movies to have cop-out endings...) Expand
nboley08Aug 16, 2010
Not great, but pretty good. It's one of the weakest films in terms of interest in the story and fun, but the film definitely has emotional power, and Radcliffe is at his best by far here. Everything seems determined to gear up for the finalNot great, but pretty good. It's one of the weakest films in terms of interest in the story and fun, but the film definitely has emotional power, and Radcliffe is at his best by far here. Everything seems determined to gear up for the final entry in the series, which will likely make or break this reasonably successful film franchise. The momentum built up by this film is pretty substantial near the end. Expand
GavGav96Aug 15, 2010
It's bizarre, but this didn't really FEEL like Harry Potter. It's quite lucky that the film manages to blend mystery, comedy, and romantic general life issues together without being a total failure - much like the book.
SurajGDec 21, 2009
This movie was awesome and better than "Order of the Phoenix", which should have been made into two parts.
MitchA.Dec 18, 2009
I'd say HP6 is the best one of the series with a good balence of action and comedy. I say it delievers in a way never thought possible by any Harry Potter movie.
1 of 2 users found this helpful
DavidBDec 17, 2009
Not as good as Azkaban. Did enjoy it. Covered the fine points of book. Missed the Hogwarts battle that the book covered.
ZackTDec 10, 2009
Agree with Joelle G, good build. A little lack-luster though.
JoelleGNov 23, 2009
Good transitional film. Builds tension for the next installment.
2 of 3 users found this helpful
LuizFNov 16, 2009
The movie isn't marvellous and isn't a disaster too. For me, It's like a previous for an incredible movie that we'll see in next november. Scenes were added, the attack on Weasley's house was espetaculary made. But, The movie isn't marvellous and isn't a disaster too. For me, It's like a previous for an incredible movie that we'll see in next november. Scenes were added, the attack on Weasley's house was espetaculary made. But, not necessary things were included and necessary facts weren't shown. Because of that scenes, I gave HP'n HBP 9. Very good movie! Expand
8 of 9 users found this helpful
AmandaMOct 29, 2009
Best HP movie yet! Makes up for "The Order of the Pheniox" which was extreamly dull. I lvoed how Snape (Alan Rickman) is seen so much in this movie compaired to the others.
2 of 3 users found this helpful
OvidiuROct 20, 2009
Funny,Funny,Funny! This is something that was missing from the other films but this one is full of true, fine humour! Well done David Yates, well done!
1 of 2 users found this helpful
SuchKOct 12, 2009
The best one yet. I saw it the day it came out and they made it 99% like the book. Awesome.
5 of 6 users found this helpful
JavierN.Oct 5, 2009
Very funny!
JTOct 3, 2009
This film makes up for the extremely dull "Order of the Phoenix".
LuaraOct 1, 2009
Quite possibly the best one yet. There are gapping holes - like not much explanation on who the HBP is and what the rest of the horcruxes are, and way to much focus on the R/Hr stuff that got boring by the end. The acting, especially for the Quite possibly the best one yet. There are gapping holes - like not much explanation on who the HBP is and what the rest of the horcruxes are, and way to much focus on the R/Hr stuff that got boring by the end. The acting, especially for the youngsters is superb, the score is beautiful. And as someone who did not enjoy Luna in the books or morvies, I was glad that she barely had screen time this time. She's very one note. Expand
VanessaJ.Sep 28, 2009
Daniel your so cute and i really like all harry potter movies and i wish that you come here in Philippines because we love you so much....... and i really love you :) your number one fan here in Philippines, Vanessa joy Castillo :)
JohnSmithSep 27, 2009
Oi all you dickheads that think this film is bad are retarded this is by far the best film of them all. It is actually true to th books and all of you bsbies who are upset that it is actually good now should go suck your bitch of a mother
AnonymousMCSep 11, 2009
I thought the movie was generally well done, it kept my attention just like the other Harry Potter's and it added some extra dark elements into it. The only complaint that I would have to say about it is that you do feel it drag on a bitI thought the movie was generally well done, it kept my attention just like the other Harry Potter's and it added some extra dark elements into it. The only complaint that I would have to say about it is that you do feel it drag on a bit in parts, but I come to expect that in any fantasy movie anymore. Expand
ConnorMSep 5, 2009
As a movie, this is an enjoyable film and is worth anyone's money. However as a fan of the book I was quite dissaponted. There were too many things to name that I wish were there while other things I wish were excluded (The burning of As a movie, this is an enjoyable film and is worth anyone's money. However as a fan of the book I was quite dissaponted. There were too many things to name that I wish were there while other things I wish were excluded (The burning of the burrow comes to mind). I have been frustrated so far with Yate's first 2 movies but with the next movie being split (and having a HUGE budget to work with) I can't help but look forward to them. As a movie it deserves its 7 (if I had never read the book it may have earned an 8 or 9) but prepare to be dissapointed if you've read the book. Expand
AlexMAug 30, 2009
I enjoyed all the Harry Potter movies for many reasons, but most of all, just because they were fun. This movie showed Draco Malfoy to be a more complex person than one originally believes, and it adds a new dimension to this particular I enjoyed all the Harry Potter movies for many reasons, but most of all, just because they were fun. This movie showed Draco Malfoy to be a more complex person than one originally believes, and it adds a new dimension to this particular movie. Highly recommended. Expand
CharlotteMAug 30, 2009
A little more edgy, a little darker than the other Harry Potter movies. This movie is enjoyable for all ages, and yet, as an adult, it appealed to more than the previous HP films. It has a depth and a complexity (especially with A little more edgy, a little darker than the other Harry Potter movies. This movie is enjoyable for all ages, and yet, as an adult, it appealed to more than the previous HP films. It has a depth and a complexity (especially with Malfoy's character) that the others did not have. Expand
GregQAug 27, 2009
The best HP yet. Great character development and story-telling.
EliasCAug 25, 2009
British fantasy is unique and totally unlike American fantasy. One of the key concepts in understanding British fantasy book series' is to realize that often the characters progress from light-hearted children's tales to dark adult British fantasy is unique and totally unlike American fantasy. One of the key concepts in understanding British fantasy book series' is to realize that often the characters progress from light-hearted children's tales to dark adult stories. The Harry Potter series follows this concept to a degree. JK Rowling wrote her tales with more sinister meaning yet, at the same time, tried to keep her books appealling to younger readers. The film series follows the concept of British book fantasy as well. To make this transition, Peter Yates was selected was director to make the series more adult in nature but to keep the film within the PG guidelines (how he will get away with this in the last remaining 2 films is a matter for speculation). This transition makes 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince' the most adult, most complex, best directed, and best acted film in the series to date. It will not win fans among the lovers of films 1-4 but it definitely takes the concluding films in the direction it needs to travel to complete an outstanding series of films. Expand
AlyshiaMAug 24, 2009
I really enjoyed this movie ! I truly think it is equally as good as Prisoner of azcaban and can't with for part 1 and 2 of deathly hallows!
ozmonkeyAug 16, 2009
Ive read the books, the best is still to come and this movie was great considering the material was quite boring as it is (in the 6th book).
ipsied.Aug 13, 2009
The only ones who hate the movie are the fanboys who can't loosen their grip on the classic. The best Potter flick by far. One of the best blockbusters of the year so far.
DanielVAug 12, 2009
Really good movie. It's better than the book.
JaredCAug 12, 2009
The first time I saw Half-Blood Prince was in Disneyland's downtown Disney theatre on July 18 and I didn't get anything out of it. But after recently seeing it a couple of days ago, I found the sixth installment to be the best of The first time I saw Half-Blood Prince was in Disneyland's downtown Disney theatre on July 18 and I didn't get anything out of it. But after recently seeing it a couple of days ago, I found the sixth installment to be the best of the series. People will disagree with me because apparently the adaptation isn't very good. But I don't care how similar or how dissimilar the movie is to the book because I'm just there to watch the movie. And as a whole, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is swell with romance, humor, and magic. A great setup for Deathly Hallows. Expand
JustinDAug 12, 2009
It genuinely surprises me that some people go so far to consider this the worst movie of the franchise. As someone who really started out hating the Harry Potter movies, this film officially turned me into a Potter fanboy. I enjoyed the It genuinely surprises me that some people go so far to consider this the worst movie of the franchise. As someone who really started out hating the Harry Potter movies, this film officially turned me into a Potter fanboy. I enjoyed the fourth and fifth movies (even though I can't particularly remember much about them), but this one blew me away. Can't wait for the final two films. Expand
JasonDAug 10, 2009
I saw this movie twice and loved it both times. Great addition to the franchise.
CDAug 8, 2009
Extremely beautiful movie. Although there are a couple of odd scenes; people kissing to the right in the middle of one of the darkest scenes with Malfoy, the parts with Ginny, the whole showing of "Harry is old enough to kiss now"-part and Extremely beautiful movie. Although there are a couple of odd scenes; people kissing to the right in the middle of one of the darkest scenes with Malfoy, the parts with Ginny, the whole showing of "Harry is old enough to kiss now"-part and so on, it had some great effects, very nice (and spectacularly different) images, and an experimenting change between the different genres. The part from when Harry drinks the potion of luck and 15-20 minutes ahead, is almost Tarantino'ish in it's dialogue and acidness, which made it some of the best couple of minutes I've seen in a while in a non-Tarantino movie. I usually hate the Harry Potter-movies, but this one was almost half as good as the book! Expand
WoutNAug 7, 2009
Wow... I think this was almost the best Harry Potter movie. It was darker then other, and the actors were actually good! Well... better then last movies. But I liked watching this one!
AaronNAug 6, 2009
Deep like the harry potter's that came before it (with the exception of the prisoner of azkaban, a bizzarly bland entry) THe Half blood prince introduces itself n such a way that continues throughout the movie, using what they never Deep like the harry potter's that came before it (with the exception of the prisoner of azkaban, a bizzarly bland entry) THe Half blood prince introduces itself n such a way that continues throughout the movie, using what they never used in the past installments, WB emphasized on excellent lighting, wound, and weather effects. Each key is struck in the visuals department, the magic is much more fluctuous and mysterious, warming with a dash of welcome harry potter succeeds in places the earlier installments failed, pays all tributes very well. With all of the matured characters, the environmental amplification of hogwarts, and the overall chaos and tyranny written the plot itself and followed the book almost exactly the way it was meant to be, despite the fact Lord Voldemorts originality was partially stained by Harry's choice to say his name. Expand
LizAAug 2, 2009
It's a good thing I didn't listen to the silly HP fans whining that "it's not like the book." Why were some expecting an epic battle? Harry doesn't witness much of the battle in the book anyway, the other characters It's a good thing I didn't listen to the silly HP fans whining that "it's not like the book." Why were some expecting an epic battle? Harry doesn't witness much of the battle in the book anyway, the other characters simply tell him about it. The funeral in the book is kind of sappy, having the students and teachers raising their wands to dissipate the dark mark was more moving. And I didn't think the movie needed an appearance from the Guants, I'd be afraid they'd come off as British rejects from the cast of "Deliverance!" Expand
JonathanAAug 2, 2009
Beautiful cinematography, an immaculate ensemble, and a storyline that brilliantly mixes the humor of teenage lovestrucks with mystery and horror elements. I liked it a ton.
TylerCAug 1, 2009
A wonderful treat for people who have read the book, but they will be quizzed on their ability to tie things together from the book to the movie. You will be very confused watching this without the experience of the book. It is not even A wonderful treat for people who have read the book, but they will be quizzed on their ability to tie things together from the book to the movie. You will be very confused watching this without the experience of the book. It is not even revealed that Dumbledore's hand is black because of the curse from Gaunt's ring. Expand
ZH.Jul 31, 2009
Although not as close to the book as the other have in the opening scene, the rest of the movie works pretty well. They definitely showed the important parts of the book. For those who are a bit confused, I suggest reading the book (again if Although not as close to the book as the other have in the opening scene, the rest of the movie works pretty well. They definitely showed the important parts of the book. For those who are a bit confused, I suggest reading the book (again if you have already). Expand
WillCJul 31, 2009
I've learnt to take the books and the films as different entities. If you go into the cinema expecting the film to replicate the book scene for scene, not only will you be there for days, but you'll have to sit through a lot of the I've learnt to take the books and the films as different entities. If you go into the cinema expecting the film to replicate the book scene for scene, not only will you be there for days, but you'll have to sit through a lot of the rubbish waffle that Rowling left in. The film itself was good, funny in parts, well acted, altough it's clear that the movie is just a prelude to the seventh and eigth films, thus the plot is a bit lacking and there are scenes which aren't as tense, or will have been left for the last couple two films. Expand