7.5

1. Nov 22, 2011
    Where do I start?! This movie presents the greatest entertainment the business had to offer in 2001! I personally love this series, and this is a wonderful introduction. Harry Potter has arrived at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the magic begins here. Harry meets two children named Ron and Hermione, and he wouldn't live without them. The choice of casting surpasses perfection, and the movie is an awesome start to an awesome series! Expand
  2. Mar 28, 2012
    Amazing this movie, is really interesting, amazing, a bigger sorprise, I think that have some mistakes, but is awesome movie. I love Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is a classic.
  3. Mar 27, 2012
    An astonishing movie that was perfect in its tone. It captured the world of magic perfectly and John Williams score connected brilliantly. A classic it certainly is. Who knew what would come of this series. It will always remain the beginning of a franchise that will be remembered forever in cinema.
  4. Aug 16, 2010
    I have to say that I did not enjoy this film very much when I first saw it, but after multiple viewings, I have grown very fond of it. The magic is really in the air when you watch this movie, as Columbus visualizes Hogwarts so brilliantly and faithfully to the book. The performances are not the best obviously (they're just kids) but they're good enough. Rickman makes a terrific Snape, but I wish the characters were a bit deeper in the movie, as they were in the book. Still, one of the best of the series. Expand
  5. Apr 21, 2013
    I've never been the kind of person that buys into hype and to be honest, I hate most big budget films, So until this weekend, I've avoided everything Harry Potter. That being said, I have never met anyone who had anything bad to say about the Potter films, so I finally decided to give it a shot, and boy was I surprised! For those select few who don't know the story, Harry Potter is the son of two legendary wizards, who was hidden with distant relatives, in order to protect him. Until his eleventh birthday, he had no idea that he was famous or had the potential to be the most power wizard the world has ever known. Potter is invited to join the Hogwarts school of wizardry and that is when the adventure begins. British Actor, Daniel Radcliffe, plays Potter and is nothing short of spectacular. Before the Potter films, Radcliffe had very limited acting experience and many say, he got the part, because of his resemblance to Harry Potter on the cover of the book. That may be how he got the part, but he defiantly shows he has the talent to go along with the right look. His performance was terrific, but there is something to be said about having the right Director, and Christopher Columbus was the perfect choice. Columbus has a ton of experience working with young newcomers in films with high expectations. Overall, the story is extremely well written, the young cast was refreshing and full of energy, the direction was stellar, and the set, costumes, and effects were some of the best I've ever seen. I'm not going to go run out and join a quitage team, but I am going to see the rest of the series. Harry Potter is a huge budget franchise, but for once, a blockbuster film does live up to the hype, and earns the title of a must see movie! Expand
  6. Nov 8, 2012
    Harry Potter is dazzling and magical. It's a film of pure of wonder that's enjoyable for the whole family.
  7. Dec 2, 2010
    It's hard to believe such a marvel could all take place in the vicinity of an enchanted school. The mind-blowing visuals and set pieces will leave you breathless; the magical moments are truly endless in Potter's debut film.
  8. Feb 19, 2011
    One of the best movies in the series, it has humor, and action, and an enjoyable plot, and extremely charming characters, a movie I would recommend seeing.
  9. Apr 5, 2011
    A great entry to the world of Harry Potter. The beginning of it all. I believe this is probably the best of it's lot because of the way it introduces all these things. Quidditch, Broomsticks, withes and wizards like you've never imagined. J.K rowling has definitley got alot of inspiration from fairy tales and stories of witches and magic but revamps it like no one has ever seen. It's one of the most original film series since Star Wars. I guess the story I don't really need to talk about because i'm sure most of you out there have heard of Harry Potter. Basically Harry is 'the boy that lived' from a dark evil wizard by the name of Voldemort when he was just an infant. Dumbeldore, the headmaster of Hogwarts, Hagrid and the other teachers of Hogwarts leave him off at his closest relatives, his uncle an aunt. At the age of 11 Harry is revisited by Hagrid and is taken to Hogwarts. this is where he learns all about wizardry and why he is their. It's a fnatastic story and a pretty touching story. Harry grew up with his uncle and aunt who are extremely mean to him along with his cousin, Dudley who is the selfish spoilt little brat. All three of them are characters you love to hate. As much as they are extremely mean people it's enjoyable to see them be so pompus and narcistic at times. Most of the characters in the story are brilliant. It makes this world very believable and reels you in.Hagrid i'd like to start with. He is a brilliant character at about the height of 7 foot. As much as he looks monstrous he's actually a gentle heartfelt man who can cook and do gardening. The relation he has with Harry, Ron and Hermione is great. He looks like such a good friend. Ron weasley, a friend Harry meets on the train to Hogwarts. He's silly at times and things sometimes don't work out for him. Hermione is a school addict who knows plenty about spells and potions. Harry is played wonderfully by Daniel Radcliffe and it's easy to see how he got the role. All the characters of the story seem fit for the film. The way they look, the way the talk has a magnificent style. That's what the Harry Potter films have. Alot of style. They are very distinct from other films. How many films involve stories as deep as this along with mythical creatures, Witched, Spells and thousand year old castles. As the first of the Harry Potter films this is a wonderful entry and if you haven't watched ANY of the Harry Potter films then it's worth starting with this one. Expand
  10. Jul 3, 2011
    Innovative special effects and picture perfect child acting. I am proud to say that this film is the greatest children's movie of all-times. Don't believe me? Watch the film and see if you don't enjoy it. Few films can take a children's novel and make it a serious contender for greatness but Chris Columbus does it and does it well!!!
  11. Jun 18, 2011
    In retrospect, this film is a lot better then when you first see it. Although the acting, primarily on the stars is not so great, the movie itself still manages to be pretty good. This may be due to the fantastic performances of the supporting cast that includes Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, and Richard Harris, or it may be due to the brilliant score by John Williams that has become somewhat the classical theme of a generation. The direction may not be as visually impressive as later installments, but Columbus still does a good job of bringing wonder to Hogwarts. The changes from the book, although few, are still apparent to a fan of the series, and are not that much a distraction. Absolutely for Potter fans, and possibly for everyone else, Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone is a great movie that launches the magical franchise. Expand
  12. Jul 12, 2011
    It is a fantastical achievement. It introduces us to a richly detailed world with great characters and above all a good story. It doesn't particularly flow at times and Chris Columbus seems a bit stale with the camera but the actors, sets and John William's score more than make up for it. Dan, Rupert and Emma are perfectly cast and all the other older british actors give Hogwarts a rich atmosphere. The story provided by JK Rowling is really strong so the filmmakers were wise in following it closely. In the end, Chris Columbus deserves much credit for starting off the series on the right foot. I saw this when I was 14 and it just resonated with me on a very personal level. It's a classic. Expand
  13. Jun 14, 2012
    The first movie, Chris Columbus opened a saga that would mark a generation. I was dazzling, visually beautiful, funny and magic. John William's music was wonderful, it fitted very well to every sequence.
  14. Nov 13, 2011
    It is faithful to what happened in the novel. A great story and visuals are what make it perfect/near perfect. The actors give great performances and it is believable.
  15. Jul 11, 2013
    There was quite the air of anticipation when this film was announced, based on a book, and full of magical tendencies, at 11 years old I was deep into the books, and was really looking forward to see the characters I read about and come to know over the years, brought to life on the big screen, because this franchise was truly the stepping stone for all other fantasy novels and genres to take the leap out of the black and white pages. Chris Columbus kicked off what was to become a worldwide phenomenon, brimming with excitement and passionate stories that JK Rowling has written.
    Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) is met with the unimaginable after finding out on his 11th birthday that he is a wizard, and that he is scheduled to enrol in Hogwarts, a magical school for witches and wizards that is vastly different from our seemingly routine earth. Harry is introduced to all kinds of magical anomalies, complete towns behind dead end walls, wands, broomsticks, every sort of out of this world thing imaginable. But of course there is always darkness with light, and Harry soon discovers that there is a reason people whisper is name as he passes and why the professors at Hogwarts take such an interest in his life.
    Joining him for the journey are dynamic duo is red-haired Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint) and the brains and elegance that is Hermione Granger (Emma Watson). These three truly get more than they bargain for as they form unlikely friendships, particularly with the half-giant Hagrid (Robbie Coltrane) who has more than a few secrets to divulge.
    The huge British cast the film boasts is quite fitting for these characters are pictured when reading the book, and in terms of the scale of the film, it simply doesn't get much bigger, while also staying as true as it can to the source material for the purposes of film, a lot of effort and attention to detail is quite breathtaking, from the Great Hall to the dormitories within each house. While the child at times can be a little jarring and too much on cue, the overall tone of the film maintains a light-hearted approach the way the first book entry in the series outlined.
    The film succeeds in adventure and emotional clarification for our main man Harry, this boy has lost his parents and only eleven years later knows the truth surrounding his whole life, but with this quite tragic story the creators have managed to create a film that appeals to all ages, with a perfect mixture of comedy, action, amazement, but most of all, magic.
  16. Dec 28, 2011
    It does an impeccable job of conveying all the emotional warmth and utter enchantment that the book had, and John Williams's fantastic soundtrack makes it all the better. This is a movie that will truly capture your sense of wonder.
  17. Mar 25, 2012
    The Sorcerer's Stone is an excellent start to Harry Potter. It is a magical a joyful film. Everything i expected from reading the book Christopher Columbus has turned into something even more special. i suspect this will continue into the others.
  18. Jul 12, 2012
    Truly magical. Yes, there is more of a kiddie approach to everything and Radcliffe's acting isn't exactly great (but he was a kid, come on!) but everything else was perfect. They did a spectacular job capturing the magic of Hogwarts and everything else in the Harry Potter universe, and the casting, oh the casting is so, so great. Kicks off one of the greatest franchises in movie history with a bang. Expand
  19. Jul 18, 2012
    This movie is great for a beginning of a great visual effects saga.Os so perfect for a year called 2001 the Soundtrack ta perfect film is good in every way until the script legal.O ta ta good cast is Ron Rupert Emma surprised me and Daniel is a good actor.
  20. Nov 9, 2012
    A great score, fantastic sets and costumes and brilliant acting throughout. Amazing transformation from book to screen, including almost all of the detail provided in the book, done superbly.
  21. May 10, 2013
    An amazing piece of art, great and really entertaining, a movie for the whole family, really well done! But it is more for kids.
  22. Apr 14, 2013
    I absolutely loved it. The creativity, the special effects, the story, the characters, the performances, and the villain were so carefully and perfectly put together to make a heck of a movie. I can't describe how great this movie is compared to all the other fantasy movies I have ever seen.
  23. Mar 23, 2013
    One of the greatest movie experiences of my childhood. The first part of the greatest magical saga "Harry Potter" is probably the best choice you can make if you haven't watch, especially if you like mysteries,magic and if you have imagination! This movie is an example of PERFECTION! Full 10/10, without no doubt! I'm proud with the fact that i grew up with this movies and i'm proud to call myself a huge Harry Potter fan! Expand
  24. Apr 20, 2013
    I first saw this movie when i was 4, i'm now 14 and I still love it. The film is outstanding, the acting excellent, the special effects mind blowing and the characters brilliant.
  25. Mar 15, 2014
    his is the most-"loyal"-to-the-book Harry Potter movie, and it's from one of the best books. Logically, results in a wonderfull, amazing movie. Even if the effects aren't so good compared with the later films, the plot line is incredible. I have to repeat it, the "loyalty" to the book was amazing, that made this film awesome. I watched it 7 times in video and 2 times in the cinema. Yes, you heard well. I repeated a movie in the cinema, without beeing a super-fan. I loved it. Expand
  26. Jun 14, 2013
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone brings everything a movie needs, from amazing young cast, a more mature cast, great special effects for the year of 2001, art direction magic that surely deserved an Oscar, the script does not speak to what is really amazing how Steve Kloves was faithful to livro.E Chris Columbus for the first time (in my opinion) been in a serious movie and respected.
  27. Jun 24, 2013
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is outstanding and magical, it has everything that a family movie should have, the acting, story and visuals are excellent, it is original and one of the best.
  28. Jul 14, 2013
    A classic film that boasts of adventure, emotion, music (that theme- John Williams never disappoints), amazing sets, visuals, directing and great acting (every actor/actress cast perfectly). Everything about this film is lovable, classical and perfect and follows the book wonderfully.
  29. Oct 24, 2013
    With well-written dialogue and stunning visual effects, as well well-executed acting performances, 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' is truly magical.

Potter-philes are sure to get what they want -- if what they want is, in fact, an exacting version of J.K. Rowling's charming children's fantasy. If it's enchantment they are after, that's quite another matter.
  2. If the movie doesn't ultimately transport us to places The Wizard of Oz once took us, that may be partly because "The Sorcerer's Stone" is just the first chapter, with more magic waiting to be parceled out in the coming years.
  3. That sense of déjà vu is at once this Harry Potter's balm and its limitation: many charms, but few surprises.