Hateship Loveship

7.1

1. Feb 8, 2015
    Despite its curious exploration into naïvety and reclusiveness, Hateship Loveship often borderlines on awkwardness - preventing strong performances from Kristen Wiig and Hailee Steinfeld from truly shining.
  2. Mar 23, 2015
    This movie was based on the short story 'Hateship, Friensdhip, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage' which won the Noble prize in literature a decade ago. A pure drama about a middle aged single woman whose life was dedicated to her profession. Just like similar to the 'Finding Vivian Maier', except there was no photographies involved. Frankly, I was not predicted that this film would impress meThis movie was based on the short story 'Hateship, Friensdhip, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage' which won the Noble prize in literature a decade ago. A pure drama about a middle aged single woman whose life was dedicated to her profession. Just like similar to the 'Finding Vivian Maier', except there was no photographies involved. Frankly, I was not predicted that this film would impress me a lot. Picked it to watch without an interest, but while a watch surprised and glued to my seat to the rest of the film.

Even though there were fine actors in the movie like Guy Pearce and latest sensation Hailee Steinfield, it was a Kristen Wiig show. Apart from voice-over for the animations and other supporting roles, she was not seen in a top form recently. Her commitment to the character she played as Johanna Perry the live-in caretaker in the movie was inevitable to appreciate. Feels very real who fall for a teenagers prank that actually influence her life to turn it around. So how and what are the things to be done against the odds are displayed well.

''The only thing worse than friendship is hateship.''

Kind of 'second chance' theme, if you get one you must seize it. Though, it was not that simple in the movie, but developed at a fair dosage of obstacles between 'the desperate' and 'the hope' to form balanced account. Don't consider it an inspirational, it was just pieces of common event that's happening everywhere, but creatively put into the texts and then cinematic. Commercializable title that did not suit for a realistic narration. Especially not in todays world, might have been a perfect title 20-25 years ago. Once you watch it the perspective will change that still movie like this are made for the silver screen, not direct-to-television, but what? Sadly commercially fails.

If you observe closely the end scene, it was very practical to the real life. Whether we accept our fate as it happened or we created it, the flaws always remain, especially in a relationship. That's what the entire movie unfolds, how people cope with each other despite what they were before. A very well told simple story. Of course it was a slow narration, not because of the stretched from a short story, but to give the depth in the portrayal. This movie is for ardent drama fans like me, for a change others as well should try this little sweet movie.

3. Apr 14, 2015
    Given the absolute crap that's in our theaters these days I found this movie to be refreshing. I can't tell you how many movies I've walked out of lately. This one's not about the story so much as it is about the characters. Wiig did a fine job of portraying an emotionally stunted young woman who is desperate for love and a sense of meaning. In the end I was disappointed that herGiven the absolute crap that's in our theaters these days I found this movie to be refreshing. I can't tell you how many movies I've walked out of lately. This one's not about the story so much as it is about the characters. Wiig did a fine job of portraying an emotionally stunted young woman who is desperate for love and a sense of meaning. In the end I was disappointed that her character settled for so little, but isn't that the lot of most Americans? Maybe that's why so few were willing to see it? A little too close to home!! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 9, 2014
    Wiig is so enjoyable to watch that it rescues Johnson's film. She's the best reason to see it.
  2. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    May 1, 2014
    The acting is naturalistic, with a lived-in feel. These are familiar people, it seems like, made so by performances that never drift into lazy melodrama.
  3. Reviewed by: Ann Hornaday
    Apr 24, 2014
    Hateship Loveship sneaks up on the viewer, not only in the way the story takes its unlikely turns, but in Wiig’s own portrayal of a woman discovering desire and, in the most subtle way possible, acting on it.