7.4

1. Mar 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The newest film by Xavier Dolan "Heartbeats" (2010) is James Joyceâ Expand
  2. Aug 18, 2011
    I wanted to see this film badly back in October of last year at the Chicago International Film Festival but for whatever reason I just never got the chance to. Since that day I have been waiting for a limited release or press release of the film. Heck, even a screener would be nice. Months of anticipation and out of the blue the film shows up on netflix instant under new releases. No wideI wanted to see this film badly back in October of last year at the Chicago International Film Festival but for whatever reason I just never got the chance to. Since that day I have been waiting for a limited release or press release of the film. Heck, even a screener would be nice. Months of anticipation and out of the blue the film shows up on netflix instant under new releases. No wide release, no press release, no limited release, no theater release in the US at all. I am just confused. Still, with all of that said this is my Netflix pick of the week!

The story itself may start out confusing to most. The reason, well this film is foreign and the most common way for a film to open up is with itâ
  3. Dec 27, 2013
    "Les amours imaginaires" provides a story that everyone knows. A love triangle intended as a bisexual story. Dolan is a good hipster, He offers a simple story deck with vintage and elegant confection. Props is good but it's not enough. Dolan is very young still. He needs to grow and he needs to be less hipster. "Heartbeats" is mixed but this is not bad. His next film, "Laurence Anyways" is"Les amours imaginaires" provides a story that everyone knows. A love triangle intended as a bisexual story. Dolan is a good hipster, He offers a simple story deck with vintage and elegant confection. Props is good but it's not enough. Dolan is very young still. He needs to grow and he needs to be less hipster. "Heartbeats" is mixed but this is not bad. His next film, "Laurence Anyways" is better than "Les amours imaginaires" and "J'ai tué ma mère". I think that Dolan will be bette director in future. Expand
  4. Nov 27, 2014
    What adds up to great scenery, music, costumes, acting, performances and execution is a common-yet-novel love story that scratches even deeper than most of us [public] may believe at first glances. Young and passionate, ambiguous and straightforward. Full of contrasts but pretty clear. Enjoyable, satisfactory.

1. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Apr 7, 2011
    There are moments of heartbreaking beauty in it – although Dolan is still a work in progress. He'll get better – he's immensely talented – but he's not quite there yet.
  2. Reviewed by: David Wiegand
    Mar 17, 2011
    Right now, his (Dolan) work is fun to watch. Before long, it may very well be mandatory for anyone who values great filmmaking.
  3. Reviewed by: Wesley Morris
    Mar 10, 2011
    The good news is that the movie advertises Dolan's delirious visual talent.