New World Pictures | Release Date: March 31, 1989
3.8
Generally unfavorable reviews based on 93 Ratings
WATCH NOW
j30Nov 11, 2011
Here's an 80's gem that's very entertaining and has some great quotes. It 's almost a guilty pleasure of mine that's hard to ignore. I can't really recommend this to anyone that is easily offended.
drlowdonAug 1, 2014
At first Heathers appears to be yet another high school comedy featuring the usual clichés, albeit one that was actually released before the myriad of Mean Girls copycats. Pretty soon however events transpire to make it a much darker affairAt first Heathers appears to be yet another high school comedy featuring the usual clichés, albeit one that was actually released before the myriad of Mean Girls copycats. Pretty soon however events transpire to make it a much darker affair as the plot is taken in a rather unexpected direction.

The biggest issue for me with Heathers is that it doesn’t quite seem sure whether it wants to be a dark comedy or something more serious, and these frequent tonal shifts can be quite jarring as you are never quite sure when you are supposed to be laughing. With a strong lead performance from a young Winona Ryder however the movie remains entertaining throughout featuring enough twists and turns to keep most people guessing as to what will happen next.

It’s far from perfect but this is an 80’s movie worth watching.
heybuddymoviesAug 1, 2011
first saw Heatherâ
AwesomeReviewerMar 26, 2012
The movie starts simple enough, a bunch of high school girls in the cafeteria playing horrible pranks on innocent girls, just for laughs. However, it takes a quick dark turn, someone pulls a gun out and shoots two guys (luckily blanks) andThe movie starts simple enough, a bunch of high school girls in the cafeteria playing horrible pranks on innocent girls, just for laughs. However, it takes a quick dark turn, someone pulls a gun out and shoots two guys (luckily blanks) and quickly someone else gets killed. When it started off I thought maybe this was all in the head of the heroine, but boy am I wrong. As the movie progresses it becomes darker, but it retains it humor even in the more gruesome scenes. It becomes a movie about how society has one general leader and no matter how many times you kill this leader a new one grows in its place like a hydra. The film takes about the seriousness of suicide and pokes fun at how people react to it. It is a bold movie and the payoffs are well worth it. The film becomes a satire for our society in a high school setting.

In the beginning I was a little disturbed when the movie took its dark turn, but when I caught on to what it was about, I was enjoying it very much. The director does a great job of creating the tension, but not forgetting the humor. The script is incredibly smart and it never feels as though as the movie is preachy or talking down to its audience. While it loses what its trying to in the middle and right before the climax, it rounds itself up fairly well near the end. I was creeped out by the movie towards the end and well after it was over.

The characters are all lively and they poke fun at figures n society. From hippies, to rebels, to people who think they are better than everyone, to the average man, â
SpangleSep 5, 2016
Heathers may get really odd and cliche at the end, but its dark and biting criticism of the high school social scene cannot be ignored, namely due to its strong writing, good turn from Winona Ryder, and portrayal of teenage angst taken to anHeathers may get really odd and cliche at the end, but its dark and biting criticism of the high school social scene cannot be ignored, namely due to its strong writing, good turn from Winona Ryder, and portrayal of teenage angst taken to an extreme. Though its outlandish and downright dark, Heathers is a comedy through and through that really sweeps you up in the comedy of it all without losing track of the larger issues being discussed. Teenage suicide, peer pressure, bullying, and general angst are all discussed in this worthy satire about high school cliques and mass murder. Overall, Heathers' action may not be overly relatable, but it portrayal of the high school scene and the teenage years will likely never age. Though its ending is unsatisfactory, this smart and biting critique of high school will, more than likely, always be funny. Expand
cjm868Apr 1, 2016
"What is your damage, Heather?"

The anti 80's teen movie. A terrific script laden with pitch black humour and dripping with cool dialogue. Winona Ryder is awesome and Christian Slater is doing his Jack Nicholson thing. If the only 80s
"What is your damage, Heather?"

If the only 80s teen movies you've seen are The ones from John Hughes (The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Pretty in Pink) then watch Heathers.
hanneguacamoleNov 20, 2015
Far exceeding my expectations, Heathers was deeply troubling if you took it at face value – which of course I do not recommend. Being just out of high school, I see and I remember the drama. I was never a part of it but some people get reallyFar exceeding my expectations, Heathers was deeply troubling if you took it at face value – which of course I do not recommend. Being just out of high school, I see and I remember the drama. I was never a part of it but some people get really worked up – definitely similarly to Veronica and J.D. against the Heathers. Of course I was a little shocked to see the way death among teenagers was dealt with, but nonetheless the movie is from the point of view of an adolescent. They don't know how to properly handle this! Cynical but a cult classic. Expand
RobertOBrienJul 3, 2015
Heathers is a very strong film, with strong performances from Winona Ryder, Christian Slater, Kim Walker and Shannen Doherty. The plot is off beat and unconventional, and I recommend anyone who is sensitive to offensive humor, sexualHeathers is a very strong film, with strong performances from Winona Ryder, Christian Slater, Kim Walker and Shannen Doherty. The plot is off beat and unconventional, and I recommend anyone who is sensitive to offensive humor, sexual innuendo, and profanity to not watch this movie.

This film's social commentary is what I find to be the strongest element of the film. It's clever satire about the media's reaction to youth suicide is hilarious and thought-provoking, and the way the movie also satirizes the idea of angsty teenagers and how "tortured" they are by society is also funny..

Though, like I said, if you're someone who is sensitive, I would say you would've found this movie more watchable before the Columbine Massacre happened.

The movie's Kubrick esque cinematography, social commentary, snarky and cynical attitude certainly makes this one of the more interesting teen films of the 1980s. I only recommend to those who are not bothered by profane, offensive things, and can find themselves lost in the movie's strange characters, strange plot, and high-brow satirical nature.