7.4

1. Syzygy
    Jul 13, 2008
    In the wake of his magnificent Pan's Labyrinth, critics have draped Del Toro with the cloak of a faultless auteur who we have to appreciate to be worthy of our intellectual vanities. Hellboy II is retread and blase, boring and all-too familiar. Del Toro is sloughing through a look which he has been rehashing for a number of years, cribbing from one film to the next. What is most In the wake of his magnificent Pan's Labyrinth, critics have draped Del Toro with the cloak of a faultless auteur who we have to appreciate to be worthy of our intellectual vanities. Hellboy II is retread and blase, boring and all-too familiar. Del Toro is sloughing through a look which he has been rehashing for a number of years, cribbing from one film to the next. What is most fatal to Hellboy II is the lack of any seriousness. Del Toro has his characters wallowing in lazy repartee and throwaway interactions so that they wont interfere with his first love, which - surprise, surrpise, - is his CGI-rendered fantasy universe. Expand
  2. Mar 10, 2011
    While the first Hellboy was a funny well acted action movie, this is a mediocre poorly acted with bad jokes movie, I was highly disappointed it was not as good as the first, an ok movie from beginning to end.
  3. Mar 25, 2011
    Hellboy 2 starts off strong with a great opening. It's filled with cool looking fantasy creatures and great fight scenes. It also has a great plot. The humor though is not funny and completely kills any chance of this movie being truly great.
  4. Feb 27, 2012
    I have to say this movie was very undone, and I feel as if there was no effort. The pace of the movie doesn't build up at all, its just random event after random event. There is like no sense in this, love plots are crowbarred in, and the end it doesn't even matter, the ending didn't even seem like the ending and when it came I was surprised. The humor isn't that great and there happens toI have to say this movie was very undone, and I feel as if there was no effort. The pace of the movie doesn't build up at all, its just random event after random event. There is like no sense in this, love plots are crowbarred in, and the end it doesn't even matter, the ending didn't even seem like the ending and when it came I was surprised. The humor isn't that great and there happens to be a character in this named Dr. Krauss who Hellboy hates for like the first half of the movie but then suddenly become best pals when Hellboy needs a cure. which just happens to be in the same place that the main villain is. Convenience. However, the movie does have good visuals, and the scene where Hellboy and Abe get drunk was funny, but honestly this movie is really bad. I don't give it a red score mostly because of Visuals . Expand
  5. EY.
    Jul 10, 2008
    I found H2 to be rather disappointing. I feel Del Toro went a bit overboard with the effects and creatures. As a result, the story is much less believable and engaging than H1. And the voicing of Abe by Doug Jones was a real mistake. Also, Salma Blair was really quite wooden. A shame.
  6. BillC.
    Jul 13, 2008
    There's lots of things to like about the film , but it seemed a bit long and was less than I expected.It's a better sequel than the Indiana Jones , but is that enough?
  7. RichardS.
    Jul 14, 2008
    This had the potential to be a great movie, but they dumbed it down by making it a parody of "Men in Black" at the beginning. It just got worse. If I wanted to see some guy with a sword, I would have watched Jet Li. This movie needed a good monster for Hell Boy to fight, but they just got some lame Jar Jar binks thing for comedic relief.
  8. Jeff
    Jul 16, 2008
    Focusing the movie on love stories was a little fishy.
  9. DanaM.
    Aug 3, 2008
    I must admit I was quite disappointed in this movie having been a huge fan of the first movie. I thought the plot delved in silliness, especially the drinking sequence, and the German robot/agent. Sorry, this movie did nothing for me. HellBoy 3 here we come.
  10. DonD
    Jul 14, 2008
    It should have been called (Hellboy...a love story). The love story built into the film does not work and that slows the pace of the film to a halt. Why does he love Liz(you only see them on screen when there is a fight or when they argue) There is no heart in the love story. The film looks great, but it is all visual and little substance. The villain jumps around and talks about the It should have been called (Hellboy...a love story). The love story built into the film does not work and that slows the pace of the film to a halt. Why does he love Liz(you only see them on screen when there is a fight or when they argue) There is no heart in the love story. The film looks great, but it is all visual and little substance. The villain jumps around and talks about the Golden Army, but you know little about him except he can fight. The pace of the film is interesting. Can someone tell me why Liz hardly ever uses her powers...she is using a gun? Mmmmm...use your FLAME..the golden army is attacking...mmmmmm...use your FLAME.. This film would have been incredible if the director has put as much into the script and story as he had into the visuals...Hellboy is...well...a boy. Expand
  11. G.D.
    Jul 26, 2008
    Yeah, it was great to finally have Mike Mignola get the screen credit(s) he deserved, and as always, Guillermo Del Toro provides the most breathtaking visual effects (tho original response to the first 30 seconds of peeking at them in the trailer elicited a "hey, this looks like Pan's Labryinth" response from me)...it was waaaayyyy too predictable for anyone who's been paying Yeah, it was great to finally have Mike Mignola get the screen credit(s) he deserved, and as always, Guillermo Del Toro provides the most breathtaking visual effects (tho original response to the first 30 seconds of peeking at them in the trailer elicited a "hey, this looks like Pan's Labryinth" response from me)...it was waaaayyyy too predictable for anyone who's been paying attention (my sister's boyfriend treated us to opening day tix, tho he never saw the first "Hellboy", didn't seem to miss a thing), and when they introduce the German um, agent, his accent struck me as eerily similar to that of that weird goldfish in that asinine "American Dad" cartoon - lo and behold he was listed in the credits as voiced by flippin' Seth MacFarlane! Let's see, for some reason the Prince kept making me think of Tom Cruise (then when i found out it was Luke Goss, 1/2 of the 80's duo BROS, well...); the Princess was very Calista Flockhart with a movie accent; still am not convinced that Selma Blair was the best choice for Liz Sherman; they wasted the Genius of Jeffrey Tambor with a pretty much disposable part; don't even get me started on the Hellboy "kid" with his weak voice (the story goes as the discovered youngin', his vocal chords had to adapt from a growl, so his voice was much deeper in his youth!); and speaking of voices I know the credits claim Doug Jones is Abe Sapien in both films, but his voice sounds so much different in this one!...truly, there was loads of style in the sequel, but it lacked the more satisfying substance of the original movie. Already long story short, the final word is the "Golden Army" was released by the behemoth Universal, whilst the first "Hellboy" was a Revolution Studios (read: "independent") film. Expand
  12. TK
    Aug 4, 2008
    Too Long - could have better shorter - script for Jeffrey Tambor was lame and poorly acted.
  13. MikeR.
    Dec 11, 2008
    Diverting, but pretty middling.
  14. PaulC
    Jul 13, 2008
    A visual treat. Better than Hellboy 1, though I didn't much care for Hellboy 1.
  15. Justin
    Jul 13, 2008
    I get that Del Toro is a visual guy and the visuals were great but everything else was just stock. The boring and rather pointless relationship troubles, the complete lack of necessary action sequences that a sequel to a action packed movie should have, and the horrible ending are what really make me hate this movie. This isn't the worst sequel movie I've ever seen but I could I get that Del Toro is a visual guy and the visuals were great but everything else was just stock. The boring and rather pointless relationship troubles, the complete lack of necessary action sequences that a sequel to a action packed movie should have, and the horrible ending are what really make me hate this movie. This isn't the worst sequel movie I've ever seen but I could have been a whole fucking lot better. Expand
  16. KerryM.
    Jul 14, 2008
    Loved the special effects and look of the film, but the storyline was a little too LOTR for me and Selma Blair cannot act.
  17. JulieZ.
    Jul 14, 2008
    Quite tedious, as well as a hodge-podge of tired and previously seen special effects mainstays. The only redeeming aspect is the prince and his sword-fighting skill and choreography.
  18. SamuelJ
    Jul 19, 2008
    Yes the movie has very visionary and creative aspects, yes some of the acting is pretty good, and yes it did bring a bit of fun humor into a pretty serious series, but this movie has got to be the most boring, poorly written piece of trash ever conceived by man. And the "comedy" is completely over used and over-the-top (I swear I was half-expecting Abe Sapien to throw a freakin pie).
  19. iRK
    Jul 31, 2008
    If there is one thing Del Toro cannot do it's humor. The humor was so campy in this film I felt awkward and embarrassed. The Barry Manilow "beer" song was unbelievably stupid. It works in comic book form, but not on the big screen. I liked Wink, but we needed some more action with him. The rest of the action scenes like fighting the giant elemental was, again, campy at best and very If there is one thing Del Toro cannot do it's humor. The humor was so campy in this film I felt awkward and embarrassed. The Barry Manilow "beer" song was unbelievably stupid. It works in comic book form, but not on the big screen. I liked Wink, but we needed some more action with him. The rest of the action scenes like fighting the giant elemental was, again, campy at best and very disappointing. Like Lucas, Del Toro needs quite a few lessons in how to make comedy, or better yet, just leave it to those who know how to do it, and stick with Pan's Labyrinth. Expand
  20. JordanR.
    Aug 19, 2008
    Fairly well done, Del Toro's visual extravaganza goes slightly over board though. It feels like some points we are just watching the stuff Del Toro dreams about. The Humor is fairly dry but gets a chuckle.
  21. KP
    Aug 25, 2009
    I held out on watching the Hellboy movies due to my intuition. But the critics rated them so high I finally watched both films. I enjoyed the 1st much more than the 2nd. Both are well crafted. But HB2 just had too many "cheesy" joke moments. It really broke the flow for me. Shocked it was rated better than the 1st film. But critics are rarely correct so there ya go. ps-I, like user "Help I held out on watching the Hellboy movies due to my intuition. But the critics rated them so high I finally watched both films. I enjoyed the 1st much more than the 2nd. Both are well crafted. But HB2 just had too many "cheesy" joke moments. It really broke the flow for me. Shocked it was rated better than the 1st film. But critics are rarely correct so there ya go. ps-I, like user "Help U" fell asleep at the end too... and I never fall asleep during movies. Expand
  22. Aug 25, 2014
    I liked the elves; they were elegant, dark, tragic, and not to mention wicked looking.

The fight scenes of the movie were beautiful to watch (much thanks to Prince Nuada, well portrayed by Luke Goss), but there's something else a good film needs to be better than average. To me, Hellboy II had little to offer on that department. The story was a bit weak. There was a great idea, yes,

The story was a bit weak. There was a great idea, yes, but the execution to turn it into something visually and emotionally stunning lacked a lot.

Also, what I recall from Hellboy's first part is that the Red fellow himself is a mean one with an attitude (a bit like X-Men's Wolverine). In this sequel, it was as if no proof was needed if that attitude and its existence. There were amusing glimpses, but that was about it. They took a bit too much for granted.

An entertaining movie, but it left no lasting, positive effect whatsoever.
  23. Jan 14, 2015
    Watched it recently on BD. Slightly better than the predecessor but not by much. Average in every aspect. Mediocre story, can't say I liked the visuals.

1. With writer-director del Toro given free license to go where his singular vision takes him, Hellboy II plays like Guillermo's Greatest Hits with even hotter visual effects.
  2. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    Not to disparage the f/x guys, but what's onscreen in Hellboy II is all about the seismic eruptions in del Toro's head. Comparing his work to most fantasy cinema is like comparing cave drawings to the Cathedral of Cologne.
  3. The best scene is when Hellboy and Abe get drunk and sing out raucously, which after "Hancock" suggests a trend toward superhero alcoholism.