6.7

1. Sep 29, 2011
    Guillermo Del Toro's "Hellboy" isn't exactly a balanced movie; it kinda sides with the friendly side, which results in less action sequences than you think. Nevertheless, its still a visually great film to watch.
  2. Aug 23, 2010
    Nazis open evil portal helped by evil monk, hellboy arrives, US troops shut portal, 60 years later, Hellboy works for Government, evil monk returns..
    Slightly better than average superhero picture with some decent effects & good action scenes let down by awkward story telling.
    Ron Perlman is pretty good in the lead despite the cliched dialogue & the 107 year old Nazi assassin is a right
    nasty piece of work. Expand
  3. Mar 10, 2011
    A truly enjoyable movie, while it borrows some elements from Wolfenstien like Germans opening a portal to hell during WWII, and a top secret government paranormal defence agency, but the unique science fiction plot will have you hooked, a blast to watch with great action and humor, truly enjoyable.
  4. Aug 1, 2011
    I had heard of Hellboy before, but had never read a single comic, but when that first magnificent trailer came out, I was looking forward to this one big time. It just had a fantastic look to it and once I finally saw it, it also had a good story to go with that look. Ron Perlman is Hellboy, fantastic casting in this situation. Guillermo Del Toro has a very unique look to his films that are inventive and magnificent. It was funny, engrossing, the cinematography was excellent (Hellboy against a snowy backdrop looks awesome!) and its pace was great. Most like the sequel better, but while it was a great sequel, for me it didnâ Expand
  5. Jan 25, 2012
    I enjoyed the film to a certain point and when I asked myself (at the end) how I managed to sit through this rather stupid film. The entire plot (while interesting at first) was incredibly stupid, Even for comic book movie standards. The main cast was good for the most part. Ron Perlman was perfect for Hellboy and was an outstanding lead and the rest of the cast was good except for Karl Roden, He was a terrible villian and ruined the film with his horrible acting imo.

The action was good and it did a good job blending the CGI/Animated sequences with the real life ones. Guillermo del Toro is a great director and Hellboy was a passion project for him but was it wise to make this movie? I cant say yes or no. It was a solid film and worth the watch if you can get through it.
  6. Nov 14, 2013
    "Hellboy", you must admit, is a unique movie that feels like a comic book movie, but it isn't based on it. This movie has energy and is dark and thrilling. The dialogue, however, in the film is pretty bad at times. Overall, after watching this film, I wasn't disappointed with it, but I wasn't very pleased with it either.
  7. May 28, 2012
    I tagged along with two friends who wanted to see this. I apologized for laughing. Then they too started laughing. Then we walked out. The ticket guy asked how the movie was and i farted.
  8. Nov 12, 2012
    It's got some good qualities, but it's got some bad ones too. Hellboy is scattershot, but it delivers the visuals, and everyone who worked the make-up for this comic-book flick deserves a medal, or maybe an Oscar.
  9. Nov 28, 2012
    With an amiable lead performance from Ron Perlman and some truly phenomenal visuals, "Hellboy" proves to be an extremely engaging cinematic experience.
  10. Sep 5, 2013
    Sporting a great quantity of keen visuals and impressive costume designs, Del Toro's comic adaptation manages to astonish with its unique style and appealing characters.
  11. Nov 13, 2013
    Hellboy spits fire.
    A very unlikely hero from another dimension, amazingly ends up being a pretty solid overall film. A very humanizing tale on and otherwise other worldly creature, and a collection of good action sequences make this more than just your average super.

1. Standard-issue superhero movie -- except that writer-director Guillermo del Toro, taking his cue from "Hellboy" comic book creator Mike Mignola, brings a wicked sense of humor to this particular monster mash.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Has more than enough across-the-board appeal to attract mainstream auds unfamiliar with source material.
  3. Directed by Guillermo del Toro with a colorfully kinetic visual imagination that seldom lets up.