7.4

1. Nov 28, 2012
    With an amiable lead performance from Ron Perlman and some truly phenomenal visuals, "Hellboy" proves to be an extremely engaging cinematic experience.
  2. JimP.
    Aug 30, 2005
    Utter pap! The acting was so wooden it was unbelievable!
  3. Aug 20, 2014
    Hellboy: 10 out of 10: Hellboy is one of the three best comic book adaptations of the last ten years. Now considering the recent spate of mediocre comic book adaptations this is a bit like winning a beauty contest at a fat farm. Hellboy is simply head and shoulders above those.

It is on par with the recent Spiderman movies (Hellboy sports a better hero and better CGI effects while Spiderman takes the nod in the love interest and villains categories) better than the X-men films and simply puts other comic book adaptations to shame (League of Extraordinary Gentleman should be particularly embarrassed)

Hellboy starts with a rip-off of one of the last scenes in Raiders of the Lost Ark and introduces such horrible clichéd villains as Nazi babe and Rasputin. Yet the scene works. Director Guillermo del Toro nails a comic book style to the direction that keeps the action and humor going during the most implausible circumstances. Another kudos is in order for the special effects, both make-up (which is spot on) and CGI. Now I seem to hate most CGI effects.

Many a big-budget Hollywood film has come out recently with horrible special effects that stick out despite 50 million plus budgets. Hellboy's effects are simply seamless where one forgets that entire characters and locations are digitally generated. The acting is also seamless with lead Ron Perlman giving a scene stealing cigar chomping performance that rivals Daniel Day Lewis's turn in Gangs of New York and Jeffrey Tambor turning a stock cliché (obstructionist bureaucrat who wants to shut everything down) into a humanistic sympathetic character. (This is also an example of very smart writing that makes even the clichéd characters into three-dimensional figures.)

While all is not perfect (In addition to Nazi Chick and Rasputin we also have a Clock/Sand Nazi and a Space Cthulhu as an improbable villains) Hellboy is better than an action movie should be, much better than a comic book adaptation ought to be, and immeasurable better than a movie called Hellboy deserves to be.
  4. Sep 29, 2011
    Guillermo Del Toro's "Hellboy" isn't exactly a balanced movie; it kinda sides with the friendly side, which results in less action sequences than you think. Nevertheless, its still a visually great film to watch.
  5. May 28, 2012
    I tagged along with two friends who wanted to see this. I apologized for laughing. Then they too started laughing. Then we walked out. The ticket guy asked how the movie was and i farted.
  6. EddieK.
    Apr 3, 2004
    I'm probably not the best critic out there, but from my honest opinion, this is the worst movie of the year. Action was mediocre at best and cinematics was okay. Nothing great, nothing special. Hope you don't waste your money and time like I did.
  7. TargillF.
    Apr 4, 2004
    Despite the high marks, Hellboy is full of plotholes from the first frame to the last. The only performance that makes this film watchable is that of Ron Perlman, who quite possibly is the first genre actor who might deserve some acting accolades for playing tortured men under makeup.
  8. BlancoA.
    Apr 4, 2004
    I was so fired up to see this film, and it is good, but it could have been so much better. Perlman is awesome, but you never get a tangible feel for the bad guys, what they want, and how Hellboy is vulnerable, etc. I would like to see them work it out in a sequel, though. Good, though limited, showcase for Selma Blair, by the way (if there are any closet SB fans out there).
  9. StephenS.
    Apr 6, 2004
    Worked when ever it was soley about Hellboy. The action was lackluster and should have been more interesting. Hellboy 2 should be the perfect remedy.
  10. StasZ.
    Apr 7, 2004
    I give it a 1 because this movie is still better than Daredevil. Nevertheless, everything in this movie makes it a painful waste of time. Silly jokes, bad directing, bad screenplay, horrible dialogues, you name it. A complete disaster in today's movie history.
  11. Roy
    May 2, 2004
    There were so many wrong things in this movie. First of all, the plot didn't move at all from the first ten minutes to the last scene. All the characters were paper thin. Some of them made appearance for no more than 10 minutes or suddenly disappeared never to be heard of again. The first monster to be fought persistantly survived throughout the movie without making it more There were so many wrong things in this movie. First of all, the plot didn't move at all from the first ten minutes to the last scene. All the characters were paper thin. Some of them made appearance for no more than 10 minutes or suddenly disappeared never to be heard of again. The first monster to be fought persistantly survived throughout the movie without making it more interesting, and then the last monster, a "god" was killed in 3 minutes. That couldn't convince me of a scary apocalypse. Oh yes, the apocalypse. I was surprised to find out the newspaper was still running when the world was ruined to publish a headline saying that the world is ruined. The bad guys had no motive other than to destroy the world (for no good reason). I could go on forever. Main point is, this movie is a hellish maze of plotholes and bad scripting. If I was the director I wouldn't even show this movie to my parents. Expand
    May 4, 2004
    I have to admit, the first monster that kept coming back over and over was pretty dumb, especially considering it took him approximately 5 minutes to kill the so-called "God" of the movie. I mean, wtf, come on. and it is very similar to the ending in MIB 1. However, the cinematic parts weren't bad, and Hellboy's character was well portrayed, so I couldn't give it more than I have to admit, the first monster that kept coming back over and over was pretty dumb, especially considering it took him approximately 5 minutes to kill the so-called "God" of the movie. I mean, wtf, come on. and it is very similar to the ending in MIB 1. However, the cinematic parts weren't bad, and Hellboy's character was well portrayed, so I couldn't give it more than 5, but I couldn't give it less either. I would say that it "might" be worth watching to some. Expand
  13. WilliamM.
    Aug 2, 2004
    Please do not my rating wrong way, I Really did enjoy this movie and it has pulled its on weight in the comic book movie genre. To me what stood out is that it seemed that it needed a higher budget, the special affects were good but I wouldn't rate them ground breaking by any means. It seems to me with some really hard work in the story and plot department this really would have been Please do not my rating wrong way, I Really did enjoy this movie and it has pulled its on weight in the comic book movie genre. To me what stood out is that it seemed that it needed a higher budget, the special affects were good but I wouldn't rate them ground breaking by any means. It seems to me with some really hard work in the story and plot department this really would have been outstanding. your really not sure throughout the movie what exactly the evil plot is that could because of my loud friends causing me to miss the dialogue, but none the less with a stronger plot and a bigger budget it would have been a comic book milestone. Expand
  14. DaveC.
    Sep 9, 2004
    An adaptation of Hellboy had a great deal of potential with so many outlandish and original ideas at its disposal, but despite the impressive visuals, especially considering its £66 million budget (compared to the more bland looking X-Men 2 which set the studio back by over $130 million) Hellboy just fails to make much of an impact. The story is frenetically rushed the script is in An adaptation of Hellboy had a great deal of potential with so many outlandish and original ideas at its disposal, but despite the impressive visuals, especially considering its £66 million budget (compared to the more bland looking X-Men 2 which set the studio back by over $130 million) Hellboy just fails to make much of an impact. The story is frenetically rushed the script is in desperate need of an injection of wit. Great production design though. Expand
  15. GerronK
    Oct 3, 2004
    This film, while has some redeeming factors (like its cool use of makeup) is a horrendous movie that is shockingly horrible. It suffers from any kind of logic and is so horrible, I can't believe I'm awarding it 3/10!
  16. VikramM.
    Apr 11, 2004
    When Spiderman was in the making that it would stink, no one can make a movie out of Marvel comic and make it good. Well, it turns out that it was one great movie! As for Hellboy, I hadn't even heard of it until it came out. I saw it and it was fantastic! Amazing special effects! Good acting, Ron Perlman was superb! The funny dialogue, everything to make it a great film. I think that When Spiderman was in the making that it would stink, no one can make a movie out of Marvel comic and make it good. Well, it turns out that it was one great movie! As for Hellboy, I hadn't even heard of it until it came out. I saw it and it was fantastic! Amazing special effects! Good acting, Ron Perlman was superb! The funny dialogue, everything to make it a great film. I think that a flick is a piece of trash a.k.a Dumb and Dumberer, a movie can be good but can be better, a film is a work of art and that does not mean that it can't be bad, but I'm saying that a film you take hard time to make it. Hellboy from its great acting, from its great script, from its great plot, from its great characters, from its GREAT special effects I would have to say it JUST crossed the line from movie to film. For Marvel fans and action, adventure, comedy, horror lovers: THIS IS FOR YOU! Expand
  17. MRad
    Apr 1, 2004
    Do not be fooled by critics. This movie serves up its goods on a big plate of FUN with a big heaping side of cinematic GREATNESS. If you are a student and fan of film, go see this.
  18. MichaelM.
    Apr 1, 2004
    Del toro and Perlman bring hellboy to life with a heart and a sense of humor that is unique and remarkably engaging. This is an exceptional popcorn movie.
  19. ChemicalBrother
    Apr 10, 2004
    This movie was ok. I guess with a metacritic score of 70 I was just expecting more. Lots of computer graphics that weren't done too well. They didn't move in a realistic way, the same type of crappy cpu graphics seen in Star Wars Episode 2 when the changing reptile woman crashes her ship.... it looks totally unatural. Another thing, this director Guillermo del Toro needs to be This movie was ok. I guess with a metacritic score of 70 I was just expecting more. Lots of computer graphics that weren't done too well. They didn't move in a realistic way, the same type of crappy cpu graphics seen in Star Wars Episode 2 when the changing reptile woman crashes her ship.... it looks totally unatural. Another thing, this director Guillermo del Toro needs to be more creative. If im not mistaken, he directed "Blade 2." A few signature effects from that movie are also found in this one so I had the feeling of "Been here, done that." The effects of when Blade kills the vampires and they rip apart in an orangish color. That's used often here. Then another time in this movie, Hellboy slams his fist into the road and stops a car which goes flying over his head into "Bullet Time." Remember in Blade 2 when he used his sword to stop a motorcycle which did a simple flip like in this movie and went into Bullet Time? This movie isn't total crap, it's not that bad 'if' you're in the mood for an action flick with loud sounds, but not much meat to it. I didn't even realize there was a Hellboy comic book. Expand
  20. JamesB.
    Apr 2, 2004
    I was so looking forward to this movie, but alas it didn't live up to expectations. The movie seemed to be missing something. This so-called hero had no real power other than brute strength. He needed guns, grenades, and another character to save the day. Nothing too special, hopefully the Punisher will be better.
  21. KubaS.
    Apr 21, 2004
    I liked it. Despite some run-of-the-mill elements and easily predictable story, I liked it. I wondered why - there is nothing really innovative in this movie, and the ending lacks both atmosphere and suspense. However, it's all not so important, because of one simple truth: Hellboy is damn cool. He was cool in the comic series, and Ron Perlman does all he can to bring Red's I liked it. Despite some run-of-the-mill elements and easily predictable story, I liked it. I wondered why - there is nothing really innovative in this movie, and the ending lacks both atmosphere and suspense. However, it's all not so important, because of one simple truth: Hellboy is damn cool. He was cool in the comic series, and Ron Perlman does all he can to bring Red's characteristic attitude to the big screen. Expand
  22. JustMe
    Apr 20, 2004
    Wow ... ! This movie is far worse than Daredevil. I need to start writing screenplays if this is all it takes to be successful. Where to begin.. ? Well the start reminded me of say Indiana Jones when they opened the Holy Grail and the monsters looked like Predator's dog. The dialogue was boring, the characters were uninteresting and the story was so lame I lost interest. I knew there Wow ... ! This movie is far worse than Daredevil. I need to start writing screenplays if this is all it takes to be successful. Where to begin.. ? Well the start reminded me of say Indiana Jones when they opened the Holy Grail and the monsters looked like Predator's dog. The dialogue was boring, the characters were uninteresting and the story was so lame I lost interest. I knew there was trouble when they took the picture at the start and it looked like Roger Rabbit special effects. What a stupid super-hero or whatever... Men in Black ripoff organization including the ending where he ends up inside the beast only to blow it up. Wolverine cigar smoking clone with horns... Wow this sucked. Americans really are lowering their standards these days... and some have compared it to Peter Jackson's work or the original Matrix...??????? wtf ???!!!??? Please think for yourself rather than jump on this crap bandwagon. Expand
  23. LeeF.
    Apr 2, 2004
    An excellent movie, well worth paying full price to see. It's fun, it's beautifully filmed, it's funny ... what more could you ask for?
  24. JayW.
    Apr 3, 2004
    Very entertaining. Seamless integration of animation and live action. Truly horrific creatures made watchable by adding a hefty pinch of tongue-in-cheek. WAY too much dialogue, though, and a few glitches suggestive of hurried post-prod (is there coffee in them cups? What happened to the FBI chief?).
  25. JoV.
    Apr 3, 2004
    A fun visual ride with action and humor, that's about it. Story is somewhat weak and at times hoaky. Although it's 2 hours long, it feels longer, and even with the length, character development gets lost in the effects and action. You just really didn't care about anyone in the end... not even the lame backend love story. Still, not a bad comic book film.
  26. JohnH.
    Apr 4, 2004
    An enjoyable adventure flick. Not perfect, but definitely the most entertaining theatre excursion so far this year.
  27. DanielM.
    Apr 4, 2004
    I saw the movie tonight and it was great!. The story is good and special effects are amazing. I recomend u to see it. This is a kind of movie to watch in theather, not by dvd or tv.
  28. CameronS.
    Apr 4, 2004
    I personally thought this movie was great. It had good special effects and Ron Perlman did great as Hellboy. Way way better than the pathetic Home on The Range.
  29. G.Wilson
    Apr 4, 2004
    Taken at face value, the movie, as a SciFi, was okay. But I can?t help wondering how perverse we, as a society, have become when we ridicule someone for making a movie about The Christ, yet raise no objections to a movie where the main character is drawn off of the theological concept of Satan. Even Satan?s angelic name is used in the movie (incorrectly, I might add). Verbal Kint (a.k.a., Taken at face value, the movie, as a SciFi, was okay. But I can?t help wondering how perverse we, as a society, have become when we ridicule someone for making a movie about The Christ, yet raise no objections to a movie where the main character is drawn off of the theological concept of Satan. Even Satan?s angelic name is used in the movie (incorrectly, I might add). Verbal Kint (a.k.a., Keiser Soze) was right - The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. I can?t help feel like I should have gone and seen the Passion? Expand
  30. JinC.
    Apr 5, 2004
    Surprisingly good! let me level with ya - i DON'T MIND FX movies! as a sci fi, fantasy (and FX) fan, i don't mind dumb, loud, bad movies with lots of pretty, shiny sparkles. see cool stuff go boom, eat some popcorn, it's all good. heck, a lot better than a bad drama which is truly irredeemable. and my expectations for hellboy rose no further than just such fx films...Surprisingly good! let me level with ya - i DON'T MIND FX movies! as a sci fi, fantasy (and FX) fan, i don't mind dumb, loud, bad movies with lots of pretty, shiny sparkles. see cool stuff go boom, eat some popcorn, it's all good. heck, a lot better than a bad drama which is truly irredeemable. and my expectations for hellboy rose no further than just such fx films... especially considering del toro's past work (cough blade 2 cough). but i was truly surprised at what a GENUINELY GOOD MOVIE it is! wow... i don't think i've seen such a 'character driven' fx movie in a loooooong time. whereas other fx movies blow their wad on the fx and overblown action sequences (cough reloaded cough), this movie's action sequences are pulled back nearly to the bare minimum - although not enough to disappoint a one like me - and the time is instead devoted to charming little set pieces like HB spying on his girl and getting love advice from a nine year old. even the climax battle is remarkably and refreshingly spare. of course, one does have the sneaking suspicion that the choices of scenes was influenced greatly by BUDGET... but if that's the case, let's hope more action films get 'hamstrung' by budgetary limitations. the exposition is also handled in a highly efficient and offbeat manner (unlike the horrid batman movies where one boring character after another has to have their origin story play out en toto) - on the run, as it were - and the narrative weaves and dodges in ways that you wouldn't expect. good for del toro! it's good to see both del toro and jackson grow from cheap kinetics to a more grounded and mature aesthetic in their most recent film. all the characters are drawn quickly, sharply and with great affection. even the villains exude an easy charisma and are, in their way, extremely likable. the monsters are well designed and exhibit a lovecraftian influence. unfortunately, because the story does not let you in on it, this visual reference to lovecraft is all the backstory you get on what the motivations of these creatures might be. if you don't get from their appearance alone that these 'elder ones' are primordial evils that seek the very undoing of the fabric of our universe, then you may indeed be puzzled as to what exactly they might be up to. while the budget may have played a part in determining WHAT got on screen, it does not show at all in the WAY IT GOT THERE! the fx are fantastic and the makeup work is great... some really really good interchanges between live action/make up and cgi... nice work. perlman deserves much more credit than he gets and i hope that this film elevates him to more roles... perhaps some that don't require a 3am call time and four hours in the makeup chair. anyhoo, just like hellboy himself, the movie may appear on the surface to be a known and predictable quantity. but like it's namesake, it turns out to be something altogether unexpected and, especially given the name, remarkably 'pure at heart'. jin Expand
  31. AnandP.
    Apr 5, 2004
    Pretty good, but WAY too many corny jokes.
  32. AlexW.
    Apr 5, 2004
    Very awesome. Funny when it needs to be, action packed, a very cool flick.
  33. KenG.
    Apr 5, 2004
    An early front-runner for popcorn flick of the year, this comic book adaptation is everything it shoud be: stylish, irreverant, witty and exciting. The great director, Del Toro, lets the story steer the special effects and not vice-versa, and this is Ron Perlman's best role since Beauty and the Beast.
  34. DevonN.
    Apr 8, 2004
    Awesome movie! Everything was cool from the special effects to the acting. There were a few plot holes in the movie, but nonetheless it was great.
  35. SeanM.
    Apr 9, 2004
    I may not be that bad but I feel I have to bring this average down because it is not representative of what the movie was which is ultimately crap. It is the kind of movie that makes you feel numb at the end and tends to piss you off as you think about it more and more. Ron Pearlman was alright as Hellboy, but whoever wrote the movie didn't want to include any originality, humanity, I may not be that bad but I feel I have to bring this average down because it is not representative of what the movie was which is ultimately crap. It is the kind of movie that makes you feel numb at the end and tends to piss you off as you think about it more and more. Ron Pearlman was alright as Hellboy, but whoever wrote the movie didn't want to include any originality, humanity, or anything else that would convince us this movie wasn't just written with some computer movie script software. The story was okay, conversation is the low point with some memorable moments such as the conversation between Hellboy and some random kid on the roof, gee if that is the only conversational piece that I can think of, it must be pretty bad huh. Everything else was recycled, the plot, same story new guy, the dialogue, and the actual character didn't even have any power or anything that would catch our attention. Overall a bore and not worth the time, I normally wouldn't tell anybody this, but even Daredevil was a better movie, that gives an idea of how much I didn't enjoy this film. Go see Bryan Singer's interpretation of the X-Men or go catch Spider-Man 2 which looks to be a hell of a lot more promising than this formulaic crapfest. Expand
  36. GinoE.
    Jun 5, 2004
    I usualy don't like superhero movies. But what can I say: Hellboy is just one hell of a fun ride!!!
  37. DanB.
    Jun 6, 2004
    Hellboy is up there with the good comic book movies. It's not quite Batman 1/2, but it's no worse than X-Men 1/2, and far better than Spider Man 1. Hellboy looks good, is really well paced, and has a good sense of humor. Its action is not just explosions and shaky cameras - everything is done with a good sense of style. The wisecracks fall flat from time to time, but enough work Hellboy is up there with the good comic book movies. It's not quite Batman 1/2, but it's no worse than X-Men 1/2, and far better than Spider Man 1. Hellboy looks good, is really well paced, and has a good sense of humor. Its action is not just explosions and shaky cameras - everything is done with a good sense of style. The wisecracks fall flat from time to time, but enough work so that you don't mind. Expand
  38. VinceH.
    Jul 28, 2004
    I had to write a review mainly because I was so outraged at all the negative comments about this film. I went into the theaters with 0% interest and expecting to be dissapointed, but I really enjoyed this film. Del Toro is a visually keen & fanatical director whose attention to detail & Hellboy's many complexities elevate this film above trash like "LXG" & "Hulk". Not as great as I had to write a review mainly because I was so outraged at all the negative comments about this film. I went into the theaters with 0% interest and expecting to be dissapointed, but I really enjoyed this film. Del Toro is a visually keen & fanatical director whose attention to detail & Hellboy's many complexities elevate this film above trash like "LXG" & "Hulk". Not as great as "Spiderman 2" (the best comic book movie ever made) or "X2", but this is still highly underrated and worth a viewing. Ron Perlman is fantastic as well. Expand
  39. Zybard
    Jul 30, 2004
    Boring. Selma Blair's character was like an annoying bug bite that, when combined w/ Hellboy's pathetic unconditional and unwarrented love for her, there was little time left for an actual plot.
  40. GregT.
    Aug 2, 2004
    This is an action fantasy movie that ultimately makes no sense whatsoever but is enjoyable if you are into that sort of thing. I enjoyed it very much. You have to love a mutant who, after battling numerous evil monsters says "I'm going to be sore tomorrow." Enjoy the action and the campiness. It is all good.
  41. TonyM.
    Sep 19, 2004
    This Movie I Think Is The Best Movie On Earth And (Ron Pearlman) (Selma Blair) (Rupert Evans) And (Jeffery Tambor) I Think R The Best Actors That Ever Lived.
  42. CraigS.
    Sep 9, 2004
    Don't get me wrong, Ron Perlman is superb and has turned in the defining portrayal of Hellboy - a phrase involving Nails and Heads comes to mind - but the rest of the film let Perlman's great performance down. It just didn't FEEL like Hellboy. Gothic. Ancient. Rural. Folklorey. It had none of these qualities. Too much exposition in the first ten minutes left me feeling like Don't get me wrong, Ron Perlman is superb and has turned in the defining portrayal of Hellboy - a phrase involving Nails and Heads comes to mind - but the rest of the film let Perlman's great performance down. It just didn't FEEL like Hellboy. Gothic. Ancient. Rural. Folklorey. It had none of these qualities. Too much exposition in the first ten minutes left me feeling like i'd been hit over the head with ten years worth of Hellboy comics. Hollywood always falls into this trap. "The audience isn't familiar with this character, so let's treat them like morons and explain VERY SLOWLY and VERY CAREFULLY what is going on". Throughout the whole thing i was sitting there thinking: "where have i seen this before?" and the answer came to me time and time again: "oh, yeah. Men In Black". They may as well have renamed this film "Men In Hell" or "Boy In Black". Hellboy does not run around city streets chasing after slimy tentacled aliens, sorry... Demons, and fighting them in subway stations, MIB do that. At the risk of sounding like a bitching fanboy (I'm not really THAT familiar with the character, I've just read a couple of the comics) Hellboy fights ghouls and goblins and leprehauns and rotting corpses and things that hang about in graveyards. More often than not he kills them by casting a spell or hitting them with a horseshoe (evil beings hate iron, you see). The only point at which this film really felt like Hellboy was the bit in the graveyard when he woke up the corpse to ask directions. Now THAT'S the type of thing Hellboy does! I pricked up my ears at that point thinking it was going to get more Hellboy-ish, but then they went underground and ended up in the Mines of Moria and it could have been any other superhero film. Then finally, to top the whole thing off, Hellboy does the comedy climbing-inside-a-monster and blowing-it-up-from-the-inside which we've all seen before... in MIB. Great entertainment but not original in the way that Hellboy-the-comic is. Maybe I was expecting too much, the critics seemed to love it, it just wasn't the film i wanted it to be. Still, it's worth a 7 and that's not bad. Expand
  43. PrinsM.
    Mar 6, 2008
    Good adaptation of an awesome graphic novel.
  44. AndrewB.
    Jul 10, 2008
    To not be charmed or entertained by this film would require either a heart of stone or an utter lack of taste in entertainment. It does an excellent job of creating a comic book feel and look, and Ron Perlman's hellboy is more than likable enough to carry multiple films. So what if the plot can be a bit hard to follow at times. Since when did that matter much for a comic book film?
  45. MatthewS.
    Apr 1, 2004
    One of the best transitions to screen from comic I've seen in a while, especially cause hellboy is one of the smarter comics out there. This makes up for The Hulk, Daredevil and LXG movies being such let downs, especially since LXG and Daredevil are two of my favorite comics. I knew Mignola wouldn't let it suck.
  46. RyanH.
    Apr 19, 2004
    This movie is the best I've seen in a long time. The people that are saying that Hellboy "Doesn't even have an eye-catching superpower" are totally missing the point of this movie. The whole point is showing that you can choose what you are, and are not forced to certain behaviors just because of what you come from (and nothing can be more symbolic of that fact, than a demon This movie is the best I've seen in a long time. The people that are saying that Hellboy "Doesn't even have an eye-catching superpower" are totally missing the point of this movie. The whole point is showing that you can choose what you are, and are not forced to certain behaviors just because of what you come from (and nothing can be more symbolic of that fact, than a demon being good). Also, Hellboy literally gets the crap beat out him throughout the entire film, (physically and emotionally to an extent) and comes out in one piece. This guy also isn't really a superhero in the classic sense either, he just is what he is, more or less. The graphics are solid, not perfect, but solid. Perlman does an amazing job behind all the make-up and makes us believe the character. Del Toro was extremely passionate with this character and he made an amazing movie. The pacing is superbly done, and doesn't dip or slow at all. The story is great as well, and I honestly don't believe that some of these people were watching the same movie I did. I witnessed nothing that could be described as "structural" flaws within the film, nor was there a predictablity to this either. All in all this is an amazing film, that can be enjoyed by all. Expand
  47. JonathanH.
    Apr 2, 2004
    A well-made Comic Book movie, Perlman and Bliar are great, some of the action gets a little tiring but still, nicely made.
  48. Triniman
    Apr 2, 2004
    This was a very enjoyable film and should spawn a sequel or two. The only question is, since this is one of those "save the world" films, what do you do for an encore? Ron Perlman was excellent as the blue collar hero. But rather than be a simple caricature, we saw Hellboy's deep feelings emerge for one of his fellow teammates, whose powers resemble those of an X-Men 2 mutant. The This was a very enjoyable film and should spawn a sequel or two. The only question is, since this is one of those "save the world" films, what do you do for an encore? Ron Perlman was excellent as the blue collar hero. But rather than be a simple caricature, we saw Hellboy's deep feelings emerge for one of his fellow teammates, whose powers resemble those of an X-Men 2 mutant. The scene with him spying on her from a rooftop while she was on a date was really funny and somewhat tender at the same time. The mysterious Nazi in the "gas mask" is revealed eventually and he slices and dices his way through the film like a martial arts expect with nunchak-like steel blades. The CGI monster looks like a cross between a squid, a warthog and a wolf. There's proof that this film doesn't try to take itself too seriously when Hellboy battles one of these creatures with one hand while holding onto a box of kittens in the other. The comment he makes will crack you up. At times, the story is a bit convuluted and would require a second viewing to follow closely. Hellboy is a new cinema icon and so long as Perlman is able to play the role with humour and human feelings, much like Tobey McGuire's Spiderman, we have the makings of a franchise. It's not as superb as the last X-Men film but Hellboy the chracter is much more charismatic that the Hulk, Daredevil or any of the cast from The Leagure of Extraordinarly Gentlemen. Review by Triniman Expand
  49. JimT.
    Apr 24, 2004
    I don't know what the excitement was about. A cookie-cutter comic book adaptation with a supposedly humorous/emotional element spliced in. A big disappointment. The monsters and special effects would be impressive if we hadn't seen them 100 times already.
  50. HellboySucks
    Apr 27, 2004
    I gave this movie a 1 instead of 0 because I was supposed to be at work and we are doing inventory. Still I think work may have been more fun than this movie. There is a reason most have never heard of the Dark Horse series, Hellboy the comic book. It sucks. Just because it was a comic doesn't mean it should be a movie. There is nothing compelling here and the characters are sooo I gave this movie a 1 instead of 0 because I was supposed to be at work and we are doing inventory. Still I think work may have been more fun than this movie. There is a reason most have never heard of the Dark Horse series, Hellboy the comic book. It sucks. Just because it was a comic doesn't mean it should be a movie. There is nothing compelling here and the characters are sooo dull. Doesn't anyone see the Men in Black similiarities..? The organization, the ending of the movie is exactly what Tommy Lee Jones did with the giant cockroach ! hello ? I saw one guy talked about Indiana Jones comparing it to the start of Hellboy. Another total ripoff. You could go on and on but I won't cuz this movie already wasted enough of my time. Expand
  51. KevinD.
    Apr 3, 2004
    The 60 million dollar budget is so well used it looks like it was done on double that. Every character was perfectly cast, and well acted all around. The story is a bit light but enjoyable, and the action scenes are amazing. All around I give it a 9. 10 if there was more Abe.
  52. JohnH.
  53. OmarY.
    Apr 4, 2004
    Ron Perlman was PERFECT as Hellboy. Aside from the lead role, not much was noteworthy. The plot wasn't hard to follow, it was just unclear, and therefore unengaging. Selma Blair did a good job, and there are a few memorable scenes. All in all, worth seeing for entertainment value.
  54. StevieG.
    Apr 4, 2004
    This is a marginally entertaining comic book yarn. There are a number of cute or clever lines of dialogue and site gags. There is also a decent heart at the center of the film. Most of the special effects are decent, though a few of the more elaborate finale sequences look very computer generated. An entertaining, albeit flawed, film. Not really for "action" junkies, because of the This is a marginally entertaining comic book yarn. There are a number of cute or clever lines of dialogue and site gags. There is also a decent heart at the center of the film. Most of the special effects are decent, though a few of the more elaborate finale sequences look very computer generated. An entertaining, albeit flawed, film. Not really for "action" junkies, because of the cartoonish nature of the violence. I had a good time though. Expand
  55. Hades
    Apr 5, 2004
    It was cool, but just had some layers to it that kept it from reaching a for sure "good" status, in my mind anyway. Hellboy's portrayal from Perlman is very entertaining and makes the big red dude with a stone hand quite believable. The effects are very nice, and the scenes are definitely entertaining. I felt like the movie started off with amazing potential but then kind of fizzled It was cool, but just had some layers to it that kept it from reaching a for sure "good" status, in my mind anyway. Hellboy's portrayal from Perlman is very entertaining and makes the big red dude with a stone hand quite believable. The effects are very nice, and the scenes are definitely entertaining. I felt like the movie started off with amazing potential but then kind of fizzled along the way into mediocrity. It's definitely entertaining, regardless. But as far as the love elements and villain go i could care less for the both of them. I knew I might have been in for a good movie marred by its less than...flattering elements right when i saw a scientist start feeding a devil baby candy bars as it roams around looking like a Shrek extra reject. Expand
  56. RichardG.
    Apr 6, 2004
    Ron Perlman held this movie together. What fantastic acting. He was able to use the lines well, and come out cliche-less with the one liners, I was very impressed. He portrayed Hellboy well. However I never felt Hellboy's life was truly in danger. That was a bit of a problem.
  57. Chimp
    Apr 8, 2004
    Ah you know, this movie was better than the crapfest of LXG, but Hellboy himself was lame, being too friendly and having no extroardinary talents, kinda like a weaker hulk with a gun. the comics rule, but abe sapien blows, not being able to fight and not having too awesome powers. the girl was psycho, the kid was lame. the professor was cool, and the Russian Corpse (I capitalize out of Ah you know, this movie was better than the crapfest of LXG, but Hellboy himself was lame, being too friendly and having no extroardinary talents, kinda like a weaker hulk with a gun. the comics rule, but abe sapien blows, not being able to fight and not having too awesome powers. the girl was psycho, the kid was lame. the professor was cool, and the Russian Corpse (I capitalize out of respect) was the coolest film character in a while.....he saved the end of the movie which got significantly worse. Expand
  58. PeteA.
    Apr 9, 2004
    I was disappointed after the exciting opening of the movie how it became such a standard super hero movie. Hellboy is not a very interesting character, and the story is the same lame hero story that could have been taken from Spiderman, or Superman. The effects are good, but most of the story is pretty lame. While I would not rate it a 1, I would say that the movie goes downhill after the I was disappointed after the exciting opening of the movie how it became such a standard super hero movie. Hellboy is not a very interesting character, and the story is the same lame hero story that could have been taken from Spiderman, or Superman. The effects are good, but most of the story is pretty lame. While I would not rate it a 1, I would say that the movie goes downhill after the first 30 minutes to a standard boring end. Expand
  59. NickM.
    May 12, 2004
    A fun, inventive movie with heart. Stays gamely truthful to the source content while not being afraid to stamp its own mark on the proceedings. Easily a superior comic book adaptation and a good flick in its own right.
  60. KelR.
    May 15, 2004
    What in the world was happening in this movie? It was just a jumbled mess of confusion. Plus the movie was well beyond unrealistic, not to mention just about satanic. Don't watch this garbage, not even at the dollar movie.
  61. MarcW.
    May 3, 2004
    The dialogue is witty, the characters colourful and pronounced and the atmosphere electric. The pacing was a little off...but...good fun.
  62. AndrewS.
    Aug 11, 2004
    This movie was dissapointing to say the least. The story was weak and the characters were uninteresting.
  63. MattH
    Aug 16, 2004
    The monsters get repititious, the one liners grow stale, and the villians need expansion, but what makes Hellboy great is its humanity. While a virtually invulnerable behemoth, Hellboy is still a man with a heart, one that can be broken. One cannot help but identify with his need to fit in, need to love, and need to be loved. Perhaps Perlmans best moment is the scene in which Hellboy The monsters get repititious, the one liners grow stale, and the villians need expansion, but what makes Hellboy great is its humanity. While a virtually invulnerable behemoth, Hellboy is still a man with a heart, one that can be broken. One cannot help but identify with his need to fit in, need to love, and need to be loved. Perhaps Perlmans best moment is the scene in which Hellboy faces impossible odds of monsters to save the woman he loves. Its not the Hell that makes this movie enjoyable, its the boy. Expand
  64. HarrisonB.
    Aug 8, 2004
    Hellboy was a great movie! One of the best Sci-fi movies I've seen since Alien, Aliens, and Predator. A funny exciting action-packed frenzy. Awesome special effects and animation. An awesome movie.
  65. Simba
    Sep 25, 2004
    Shockingly bad.
  66. EfeB.
    Sep 3, 2004
    An unbalanced screen time to tell what could have been a great story has left me short and unsatisfied. the characters are well designed but there is just not many of them. the good characters don't appear in scenes that are respectable to their design. one in fact, the young girl is undoubtably taken from an x-men film...yeah, she can control fire, i am burning with amazement An unbalanced screen time to tell what could have been a great story has left me short and unsatisfied. the characters are well designed but there is just not many of them. the good characters don't appear in scenes that are respectable to their design. one in fact, the young girl is undoubtably taken from an x-men film...yeah, she can control fire, i am burning with amazement (not!). john hurt has always been a favorite actor and he is pretty good in hellboy but again...we don't see him too much. you may say...what DO we see? if not the characters and nor the story?...we see a feature lenght trailer for a cool sci-fi flick, thats what this film is to me...a teaser for hellboy 2. i suggest the director take a good hard look at his movie and give us something more meaty next time around. because, with all it's problems, hellboy is a trip. and we can use another attempt. Expand
    May 15, 2005
    Neat looking.
  68. IanF.
    Jul 17, 2005
    The first time I watched this movie I was not impressed. The villains had the potential to be cool but had so little air time and character development they became 2D figures (especially compared to the amount of time spent developing the protagonists). Ilsa especially was not worth having in the movie (which is a shame because a German bombshell could have made a good villainess). The The first time I watched this movie I was not impressed. The villains had the potential to be cool but had so little air time and character development they became 2D figures (especially compared to the amount of time spent developing the protagonists). Ilsa especially was not worth having in the movie (which is a shame because a German bombshell could have made a good villainess). The plot was pretty standard: evil priest wants to summon in the outer gods (HP Lovecraft stuff here), and the valiant Americans must save the world. Can these yankee chumps continue to try and prove that they won WWII alone any other way than rewriting history? Hellboy is a great character brilliantly protrayed by Pearlmen (he's come a long way from In the Name of the Rose and Beauty and the Beast), the other characters are fun (especially "Niles" and the FBI Director). The FX are good, nothing to complain about. Music score is good. The plot. Weak weak weak. I didn't even realize what was essentially wrong with it until I read other reviews, and then it occured to me: I'd seen it before! The ending swallowed by monster then blows it up a la MiB was anticlimatic and cheesy. The motivation for the entire "plot" was fine (Hellboy ends up being the key to the apocalypse is nice), but the journey to this was confused and often irrelevant. Should have been a TV series. Expand
  69. OliverC.
    Jan 14, 2007
    As much as the acting and writing could have been improved, Del Toro still brought us the best looking monsters i've ever seen in a movie. And that's no mean feet.
  70. Jon
    Nov 25, 2004
    Interesting idea, but the plot was pretty weak; character development was just ok. Predictable. Not funny, not scary, not really that excitining...what is it???
  71. fabio
    Nov 29, 2004
    You can't make a Hollywood movie without a love story (it's a way to bring girls in theaters?) - a (dark) horror/paranormal comic book turned into a (bright) fantastic movie...that's not good.
  72. LionStylesS.
    Apr 11, 2004
    A great flick. Like several other reviewers i was tantalized early on by the beautiful set design, epic plot line and general stylishness, but spiraled a bit into dissapointment as the film unfolded. The problem? Major structural flaws. The film attempts to capture in two hours a tale of very epic scope and ultimately flails its way into mediocrity. The romance element is poorly A great flick. Like several other reviewers i was tantalized early on by the beautiful set design, epic plot line and general stylishness, but spiraled a bit into dissapointment as the film unfolded. The problem? Major structural flaws. The film attempts to capture in two hours a tale of very epic scope and ultimately flails its way into mediocrity. The romance element is poorly developed, character development is initiated brilliantly (Blue? the Nazi Assassin) but then fizzles as the film rushes towards its total anticlimax. In fact, the secondary villain (Nazi Assassin) is presented as a seriously badass force to be reckoned with and provides a good bit of dissapointment as he is just elbowed out of the final scenes. All in all the film's problem was in its pacing, spending too much time with banter and moments of humorous slap-stick to do any justice to its epic premise with the two hours alotted. NEVERtheless, it was a dazzling film with something for everyone. The character design, set design, action choreography, plot line, and sheer artistry of the film were awesome, and Ron Perlman was a class-act as Hellboy. With the potential to be a really great and epic action film, like the 5th Element, it is too bad that the film got caught up in some of the classic structural problems, but all in all it was still a very enjoyable feature. 8. Expand
  73. BrocktheDock
    Solid!
  74. AlbertoC.
    Apr 17, 2004
    Amazing from start to finish. I didn't really expect this to be the greatest comic film ever but after it was over I was thrilled with what I just saw. This film is the defintion of pure fun. It has everythig like, non-stop action, awesome cast, wonderful performance from Ron Perlman, romance and a lot of humor. This is a must see for any comic lover or any person that just wants to Amazing from start to finish. I didn't really expect this to be the greatest comic film ever but after it was over I was thrilled with what I just saw. This film is the defintion of pure fun. It has everythig like, non-stop action, awesome cast, wonderful performance from Ron Perlman, romance and a lot of humor. This is a must see for any comic lover or any person that just wants to have fun. The best comic book film ever, simple as that. Expand
  75. EricS.
    Apr 17, 2004
    This is definitely a comic book masterpiece. This has everything you need to make a great comic book movie, I was just blown away with all aspects of this film. Can't wait for the sequel. Go see this right now.
  76. JoeM.
    Apr 18, 2004
    The thing about this movie, and much more movies of this kind of genre is you have to walk into the theatre with an open mind, and not expecting something in the likes of a famous drama like "Rosebud", or an amazing action-thriller like "Die Hard". You really can't be expecting something amazing and prophetic to the film world when you're going to see something that's been The thing about this movie, and much more movies of this kind of genre is you have to walk into the theatre with an open mind, and not expecting something in the likes of a famous drama like "Rosebud", or an amazing action-thriller like "Die Hard". You really can't be expecting something amazing and prophetic to the film world when you're going to see something that's been criticized as mediocre or "just okay" in the first place. That having been said, "Hellboy" was extremely mixed for me. It contained very good computer graphics and surprisingly good voice-over acting. Definitely not something you'd expect from someone who starred in the TV show "Beauty and the Beast". But, unfortunately, the acting of nearly all the other characters failed to get more than decent. The character of Liz didn't show nearly enough vocal inflection, and let down a character that could have been good. The "father" and John were also mediocre at best, but Abe Sapien was a refreshingly un-superpowered character. The plot was really something that kicked the score down, though. It was relatively unimaginative, flat, and something you'd normally find in a fifty-cent comic book at a 7-11 near you. Even more of a surprise was how the movie tended to dip between good and bad. The beginning was very creative, using the nazi category for something other than a holocoust film. It also incorporated a dark sort of shady, mysterious introduction that segues into something more mediocre. However, by the end, you've really heard all the same things over and over again, and attempting to incorporate a weak romance story and "hellboy pride" theme into movies falls short of anything but pathetic. But, through all its shortcomings, the movie succeded in entertaining, and didn't rely on booming shock moments to entertain. What this movie lacked in overall acting, plot and thoroughness, it made up for in visuals and... well.. more visuals. I would probably give this movie a five normally, but it still contains its own slight charm that keeps it as a mid-tier movie. Go see this movie, but at an empty time, get comfortable and pay attention to detail, not how predictable the plot is. Expand
  77. ChadS.
    Jun 18, 2004
    The little Hell-baby is a special effects triumph, second only to Gollum. It enchants, arguably, the most cuddly non-human since E.T. "Hellboy", to my utter amazement, is almost a real movie because it's not just a special effects extravanga. Hellboy (Ron Perlman), more like Hell-man, is funny, recognizably human. The cat farm speaks volumes about his emotional life. There's The little Hell-baby is a special effects triumph, second only to Gollum. It enchants, arguably, the most cuddly non-human since E.T. "Hellboy", to my utter amazement, is almost a real movie because it's not just a special effects extravanga. Hellboy (Ron Perlman), more like Hell-man, is funny, recognizably human. The cat farm speaks volumes about his emotional life. There's verbal and visual wit here. The action has more resonance than your garden variety comic book movie, because the protagonist isn't cardboard, isn't Ben Affleck, is vulnerable. Liz (Selma Blair) saves him in one scene. A woman. Yes, that opening scene goes on a little too long, but "Hellboy" quickly settles down and entertains, and not mindlessly so. Expand
  78. Dice
    Aug 19, 2004
    This movie seems so short because the storyline and characters do not draw you into the movie another thing was that the fight scenes seemed so short and overall it doesn't even stack up to other great superhero movies like spiderman.
  79. Kabootle
    Aug 24, 2004
    Its fun, and good heroes and great villains. Plot was a little thin here and there and the action wasn't amazing.
  80. Hellboy
    Mar 26, 2005
    Aww This Movie Freggin Rocks The Best Movie Ever Made I Freggin Love This Movie Man I Watch This Movie Like Everyday Man This Movie Rocks Love This Freggin Movie (Ron Perlman) And (Selma Blair) R The Best Actors That Ever Lived Cant Get Enough Of This Movie U Guys Need To See This Movie My Fav. Part Is At The End Where Hellboy And Liz Kiss Its So Sweet I Wish That Could Have Been Me I Aww This Movie Freggin Rocks The Best Movie Ever Made I Freggin Love This Movie Man I Watch This Movie Like Everyday Man This Movie Rocks Love This Freggin Movie (Ron Perlman) And (Selma Blair) R The Best Actors That Ever Lived Cant Get Enough Of This Movie U Guys Need To See This Movie My Fav. Part Is At The End Where Hellboy And Liz Kiss Its So Sweet I Wish That Could Have Been Me I Wish So Bad. Expand
  81. DWP102589
    Dec 21, 2004
    I got the three disc extended edition for my birthday. It's thirteen minutes longer and adds more sufficent character development while still retaining the pace and excitement of the original version.
  82. Aug 23, 2010
    Nazis open evil portal helped by evil monk, hellboy arrives, US troops shut portal, 60 years later, Hellboy works for Government, evil monk returns..
    Slightly better than average superhero picture with some decent effects & good action scenes let down by awkward story telling.
    Ron Perlman is pretty good in the lead despite the cliched dialogue & the 107 year old Nazi assassin is a right nasty piece of work.
  83. Mar 10, 2011
    A truly enjoyable movie, while it borrows some elements from Wolfenstien like Germans opening a portal to hell during WWII, and a top secret government paranormal defence agency, but the unique science fiction plot will have you hooked, a blast to watch with great action and humor, truly enjoyable.
  84. Jan 3, 2015
    Hellboy is a well designed, visually appealing comic book movie from Guillermo Del Toro. Unfortunately, thin plotting and the lack of any decent action sequences scupper any good intentions. Hellboy is ultimately forgettable super-hero fodder.
  85. Aug 1, 2011
    I had heard of Hellboy before, but had never read a single comic, but when that first magnificent trailer came out, I was looking forward to this one big time. It just had a fantastic look to it and once I finally saw it, it also had a good story to go with that look. Ron Perlman is Hellboy, fantastic casting in this situation. Guillermo Del Toro has a very unique look to his films thatI had heard of Hellboy before, but had never read a single comic, but when that first magnificent trailer came out, I was looking forward to this one big time. It just had a fantastic look to it and once I finally saw it, it also had a good story to go with that look. Ron Perlman is Hellboy, fantastic casting in this situation. Guillermo Del Toro has a very unique look to his films that are inventive and magnificent. It was funny, engrossing, the cinematography was excellent (Hellboy against a snowy backdrop looks awesome!) and its pace was great. Most like the sequel better, but while it was a great sequel, for me it didnâ Expand
  86. Feb 2, 2015
    Much like the Punisher, Hellboy was created for the older comic book fans. The character was designed to be an anti-hero, less refined than Batman or Superman, someone who would hate being labeled a superhero. While the comics weren't as popular as others, the film gave life to the franchise and created a cult following. The story is meant to introduce us to the character of Hellboy, a catMuch like the Punisher, Hellboy was created for the older comic book fans. The character was designed to be an anti-hero, less refined than Batman or Superman, someone who would hate being labeled a superhero. While the comics weren't as popular as others, the film gave life to the franchise and created a cult following. The story is meant to introduce us to the character of Hellboy, a cat loving, cigar smoking, red guy, with a bad attitude, who secretly works for the government protecting The United States from paranormal threats. Everyone knows by now that I hate superheroes, so the idea of the anti-hero really appealed to me. I could have easily become one of the cult followers and fallen for Hellboy, the way all the comic-con kids did, if it wasn't for the uncertain direction of the film. Guillermo Del Toro struggled back and fourth with whether or not this film should be geared for kids or adults, and went the PG-13 route. It worked in terms of getting a larger audience, but it also took away from the original intent of the character. Throughout the film we keep hearing about how tough and dangerous Hellboy is, but he's really wasn't that much of a bad ass. If Hellboy is so unlike any hero, why is he working for government instead of breaking the law, and why is it that he doesn't utter a single curse word? The character was far too toned down for my liking, but the flip-side to that was how nasty and creepy some of the bad guys were. Broom is one of the best comic villains I've ever seen and given his Nazi background, he most certainly was not intended for kids. Overall, I enjoyed parts of the film, I loved Ron Perlman, and as with any film by Guillermo Del Toro, the special effects were amazing. However, the lack of direction makes the film somewhat unfulfilling and anti-climatic. Hopefully that will all change when I get up to Hellboy II. Expand
  87. Jan 3, 2015
    Not visually stunning, but there is still something in the movie that keeps you watching all the way from beginning to the end. It is funny, corny, and something beyond those two.
  88. Jan 25, 2012
    I enjoyed the film to a certain point and when I asked myself (at the end) how I managed to sit through this rather stupid film. The entire plot (while interesting at first) was incredibly stupid, Even for comic book movie standards. The main cast was good for the most part. Ron Perlman was perfect for Hellboy and was an outstanding lead and the rest of the cast was good except for KarlI enjoyed the film to a certain point and when I asked myself (at the end) how I managed to sit through this rather stupid film. The entire plot (while interesting at first) was incredibly stupid, Even for comic book movie standards. The main cast was good for the most part. Ron Perlman was perfect for Hellboy and was an outstanding lead and the rest of the cast was good except for Karl Roden, He was a terrible villian and ruined the film with his horrible acting imo.

The action was good and it did a good job blending the CGI/Animated sequences with the real life ones. Guillermo del Toro is a great director and Hellboy was a passion project for him but was it wise to make this movie? I cant say yes or no. It was a solid film and worth the watch if you can get through it.
  89. Nov 14, 2013
    "Hellboy", you must admit, is a unique movie that feels like a comic book movie, but it isn't based on it. This movie has energy and is dark and thrilling. The dialogue, however, in the film is pretty bad at times. Overall, after watching this film, I wasn't disappointed with it, but I wasn't very pleased with it either.
  90. Nov 12, 2012
    It's got some good qualities, but it's got some bad ones too. Hellboy is scattershot, but it delivers the visuals, and everyone who worked the make-up for this comic-book flick deserves a medal, or maybe an Oscar.
  91. Jan 14, 2015
    Watched it recently on BD. Its not a very good movie. Story is pretty lame. The entire movie doesn't look very good.. Acting was sort of ok I guess. Not much action to speak off.
  92. Sep 5, 2013
    Sporting a great quantity of keen visuals and impressive costume designs, Del Toro's comic adaptation manages to astonish with its unique style and appealing characters.
  93. Nov 13, 2013
    Hellboy spits fire.
    A very unlikely hero from another dimension, amazingly ends up being a pretty solid overall film. A very humanizing tale on and otherwise other worldly creature, and a collection of good action sequences make this more than just your average super.
  94. Mar 28, 2015
    Hellboy is an amazing thrill ride. Not only was it great to pick Ron Perlman, it was great to make this movie. The plot was fun, the effects and music were great, and the fish guy was awesome. My only tiff is sometimes the effects were cheesy. But if you can deal with that youll love this movie.
  95. May 23, 2015
    This movie has some cool action scenes and is surely especially fun to watch for comic book geeks (I had no prior knowledge of Hellboy, though). The story isn't bad, either, but the dialogue isn't the best and, in reality, it just isn't all that entertaining. I'm saying you should watch this film if you think it looks interesting but you shouldn't expect anything outstanding, just a decentThis movie has some cool action scenes and is surely especially fun to watch for comic book geeks (I had no prior knowledge of Hellboy, though). The story isn't bad, either, but the dialogue isn't the best and, in reality, it just isn't all that entertaining. I'm saying you should watch this film if you think it looks interesting but you shouldn't expect anything outstanding, just a decent action flick. Expand

1. Standard-issue superhero movie -- except that writer-director Guillermo del Toro, taking his cue from "Hellboy" comic book creator Mike Mignola, brings a wicked sense of humor to this particular monster mash.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Has more than enough across-the-board appeal to attract mainstream auds unfamiliar with source material.
  3. Directed by Guillermo del Toro with a colorfully kinetic visual imagination that seldom lets up.