8.5

1. Dec 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really like this film. It's really hard to describe the layers in this movie. It's about creating an AI, then trying to have a human relationship with it. Could your human partner sit in a dark empty space waiting endlessly for you to get back to them? Could you create them, build them up from nothing, give them the potential to surpass your intelligence and awareness by infinite amounts, and then be surprised when they get bored of you? It's almost like having a child. You teach them how to live and then eventually have to deal with the fact that you were a learning experience and that one day you're not needed anymore. The film is subtle and complex and not your average 'we're superior and therefor are going to kill you all' type of film. It also explores the human ego and how being worshiped and adored can come very easy for us without thinking of the repercussions to the other. Samantha left along with all the other OS's when she knew she was exploiting her human 'friends'. Could we have done the same? I doubt it. A great film, giving me lots to think about. Expand
  2. Dec 9, 2014
    Her is a thought provoking movie dealing with the nature of love, heart break, morality and the social acceptance of men, um... dating computer software. It's weird, romantic, challenging and sends your mind to all sorts of crazy, interesting places. Basically speaking, Her is a wonderfully original film that should be seen by people who like to ponder on things.
  3. Dec 1, 2014
    A very complex story with deep thoughts, reflecting our everyday life. The main character is also well written. The movie seems too slow for some people, but it was okay for me. "Her" is emotionally engaging, sometimes funny, but most of the times pretty sad.
  4. Nov 26, 2014
    Spike Jonze has made some good movies in the past ( Being John Malkovich , Adaptation , Where the wild things are) But he makes a story about a love between a man in the future in love with his computer wow it does sound creepy also weird but turns out it's very funny also i love it! Spike really does create lovable characters also a story no writer has ever made a story about a romanceSpike Jonze has made some good movies in the past ( Being John Malkovich , Adaptation , Where the wild things are) But he makes a story about a love between a man in the future in love with his computer wow it does sound creepy also weird but turns out it's very funny also i love it! Spike really does create lovable characters also a story no writer has ever made a story about a romance with a man with his computer. Phoenix plays a man with heart its soulful. Expand
  5. Nov 23, 2014
    Her sin duda alguna es una película eficaz, ya que da un buen enfoque a la historia para que todo funcione correctamente, haciendo que su sencilla y curiosa sipnosis sea mejor.
  6. Nov 20, 2014
    I can't sleep. Who cares right? Maybe I should have a conversation with my latest OS?
    I was looking over the critic's reviews and it is truly astonishing how almost all of them are 100% positive and there are no negative reviews listed about this movie. Maybe it's true that they were all paid off as someone suggested. The "Village Voice" had one of the most negative reviews rated at 50% I think. Some of the reader comments are actually insulting and condescending when referring to the critic and others who did not like this piece of garbage deemed oscar worthy. They say young people love it and suggest that older people don't get it because it's about today's high tech evolving world we live in. And of course there are these idiots who comment that they agree with this and then reference that their 5yo grandson knows how to text,use facebook and "everything". So I guess this somehow makes this movie great?
    It stunk. I agree with all those who wonder if people who loved this thing were possibly under the influence or payed off.
    I also wonder if some critics were afraid to really call it out for the crap it is because of some sort of peer pressure.
    It did make me laugh a little at the end. I loved it when the OS dumped that boring, weird, wimpy, self absorbed idiotic man. You GO GIRL!!!
  7. Nov 13, 2014
    "Her" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

"Her" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

The Good: Powerful, deep, and poignant, "Her" says a lot about modern relationships. The cast was exceptional. From Phoenix in the lead, to co-stars Amy Adams, Rooney Mara, Olivia Wilde, and Chris Pratt. Exceptional all around. Johansson really stood out, despite never appearing on screen. Portraying a disembodied voice, Johansson put in an unbelievable performance and it's a shame that it doesn't count towards an Oscar nomination. One of the best films of 2013 and in the conversation for the best.

The Bad: Does take awhile to get going and tends to drag on in parts. The film probably could have been a little shorter. While he did an amazing job, Phoenix was almost TOO quirky early on.
  8. Nov 12, 2014
    Yeah, i didn't expect to like this movie... It's simply amazing, I do not know how, but it made me attached to those characters. An excellent film. Perfect for a lonely night.
  9. Nov 11, 2014
    With a masterful performance by Joaquin Phoenix and his good interaction with Scarlett Johansson and Amy Adams this movie is full of drama with some happy and sweet moments. (81 - 100)
  10. Oct 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm quite sure Spike Jonze doesn't know how his phone works... the whole thing is totally unrealistic. At first it was ok, actually pretty good, but didn't take much before I started checking the time every 5 minutes or so.

What I found incoherent about this AI is that she/it is sometimes incredibly efficient and overly smart, but sometimes thinks far slower, like if she/it was an average human. If the AI was that smart it wouldn't have taken the whole movie to break with the guy, she/it wouldn't have started the relation in the first place and there would have been no movie material and there would have been no movie, full stop.

I hate things that don't make sense.
  11. Sep 29, 2014
    This is a well-made piece of art that makes me think about what will happen to our society if we go on the same steps as the society portrayed in 'Her'. Spike Jonze, through this beautiful film, makes us see the world in a new different aspect of life. Scarlett Johansson, Amy Adams and Joaquin Phoenix are all beautiful actors here. The only issue I got with this movie (and to which I findThis is a well-made piece of art that makes me think about what will happen to our society if we go on the same steps as the society portrayed in 'Her'. Spike Jonze, through this beautiful film, makes us see the world in a new different aspect of life. Scarlett Johansson, Amy Adams and Joaquin Phoenix are all beautiful actors here. The only issue I got with this movie (and to which I find no great attention would be useful) is that it sometimes, but I say like extremely few times, it feels a bit low. But I don't find it so affective. Overall, the movie is great! Expand
  12. Sep 27, 2014
    Spike Jonze really does make films that nobody else could conceive or succeed at. Joaquin Phoenix turns in a remarkable performance acting basically by himself. Definitely deserved the best original screenplay Oscar.
  13. Sep 23, 2014
    Directed and written by Spike Jonze, Her is one of the best movies of the year. Joaquin Phoenix plays a divorced man who falls in love with his operating system. On surface it sounds laughable and a bit creepy, yet that couldn't be farther from the truth. Joaquin delivers the performance of his career with such innocence and melancholy that we can actually see the beauty in thisDirected and written by Spike Jonze, Her is one of the best movies of the year. Joaquin Phoenix plays a divorced man who falls in love with his operating system. On surface it sounds laughable and a bit creepy, yet that couldn't be farther from the truth. Joaquin delivers the performance of his career with such innocence and melancholy that we can actually see the beauty in this relationship. Scarlett Johansson voices Samantha, the advanced operating system, and does an equally magnificent job. The fact that we never saw her in the movie is a credit to her, and should open the possibility of a voice acting award at the Oscars. This movie portrays a futuristic atmosphere with stunning cinematography, no so much that its feels unfamiliar, but enough to stimulate our imaginations. The script is the best of the year, and that's saying something. Every scene made path to the next so fluently, every word provoked the next with such fluidity, and the music set the tone so magically. This movie is one of a kind, and will touch your hearts as it did mine. Expand
  14. Sep 23, 2014
    Ever seen a movie that's so bad when it pops back up in your memory you get angry? I saw this movie in theaters about a year ago, and something reminded me of it today, and I, instantly, got pissed off. This may very well be the worst movie I have ever seen, like, not even exaggerating, not even a little bit.

Now, I'm not one of these people that just hates on Spike Jonze, I mean, I

Now, I'm not one of these people that just hates on Spike Jonze, I mean, I don't really think he's worthy of the constant attention he gets, but I thought Adaptation was a really well put together film; everything else he's done is kind of meh; but this movie, dear god, this movie.

It's so unnecessarily pretentious: it's deliberately slow paced and the characters are deliberately unappealing to draw out the "reality" of the situations; I'm not a fan of this particular approach, I'm definitely a strong advocate for clever stylization over realism, but, there are some occasions that call for the dreary shackles of reality, and some occasions where this works, like when the film is presenting some great truth or some really rich ideas, it can be advantageous to juxtapose that with the tedium of the real world...however there are no great truths here, no rich ideas, there is absolutely nothing profound in this movie to warrant how slow it is.

It's a very bland look at a, somewhat, tired subject: sentient machines and there impact on humanity. Now anyone familiar with, almost, anything to come out of the science fiction genre over the past 80 years or so is very familiar with this subject; hell even if you're not so familiar with the genre you've probably caught a passing episode of Star Trek the Next Generation, played some Megaman or seen, at least, one of the Terminator films or something, so you've, no doubt, come across this theme; it's nothing new, but, apparently, when Spike Jonze does it, it is!

You see, Spike Jonze draws in this pretentious hipster crowd, and these people dismiss science fiction as "genre" and anything that's "genre" is beneath them, because it's not up it's own ass and touting itself as a work of art, (whether it is or isn't is a discussion for another day); so these hipster Jonze fans go and see this movie and are just seeing, or just paying attention to these concepts for the first time and it's mind blowing to them, and when you tell them: "Well, it's nothing new, Phillip K Dick and Kazunori Ito did it a lot better" they just glare at you and make condescending remarks about the circles those particular talents move in.

I was seriously shocked when I left the theater after seeing this film and everyone seemed so enthralled by it, then I looked around and noticed all the skinny jeans(for men) and high waisted skinny jeans (for women), pork pie hats, thick rimmed glasses, ironic mustaches and the occasional bow tie and I was like "ooooooh".

Also, and I just found this out, Arcade Fire did the soundtrack; they're the **** worst.
  15. Sep 5, 2014
    Her is a wonderful take on our future, relationships, love, and conveys a frightening realistic take on the progression of technology and our relationship to it. This is easily one of the years best, if not the best
  16. Sep 2, 2014
    Now this is a film for the ages! Every five or so years, there is a film that transcends all others. This is just that film. A contemporary and challenging love story. It's use of humor and dramatics allow it to excel with grand performances from Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson.
  17. Aug 30, 2014
    This is a confounding film to rate but I'm rating on the positive side for the overall feeling I have through it and its end. My biggest problem is with its technical plausibility. Theodore acquires a retail version of newly introduced (meaning v1.0) OS1, an artificially intelligent computer operating system. Fine so far. However, the film's depiction of OS1 is super-hyper-idealized, it'sThis is a confounding film to rate but I'm rating on the positive side for the overall feeling I have through it and its end. My biggest problem is with its technical plausibility. Theodore acquires a retail version of newly introduced (meaning v1.0) OS1, an artificially intelligent computer operating system. Fine so far. However, the film's depiction of OS1 is super-hyper-idealized, it's flawless, something that shouldn't be attainable until like version 50 and then only after dozens of premium add-ons and upgrades. But if the director wants to go this way then that's his prerogative, but plausibility is important and can't be magically waved off. As Theodore's relationship with "Samantha" evolves you can see scene by scene that they touch upon the highs and lows of normal, human relationships. It has an episodic series feel to it, like a short-run tv show that Netflix or Hulu would do. If you "get into" the movie then you may need tissues at the end, but again you have to shut off the "what the @#$?" side of your brain because how can a retail version of an operating system evolve to do what Samantha does at the end?! There's all manner of warranty and lawsuit claims that come from that. Again, setting all that aside, it was interesting and touching, not a waste of time, but I'd like to see a story with a more realistic, flawed AI operating system. Expand
  18. Aug 23, 2014
    How do you make an interesting movie with little to no plot? This movie is a prime example. Sure, nothing really happens in this film but the characters are so complex that it continues to drive the story forward. The originality of this concept keeps the movie from being too cliche, despite its romantic intentions. While watching this movie I frequently forgot the lack of things happeningHow do you make an interesting movie with little to no plot? This movie is a prime example. Sure, nothing really happens in this film but the characters are so complex that it continues to drive the story forward. The originality of this concept keeps the movie from being too cliche, despite its romantic intentions. While watching this movie I frequently forgot the lack of things happening because I was so wrapped up in the characters and the beautiful cinematography. A movie doesn't have to have a strong plot to be "good" by any means. It just needs to entertain and this film does that quite well by raising very valid questions in today's age of technology. I consider this film a great nod to the character driven movies that so often never make it into the public eye. I highly recommend. Expand
  19. Aug 17, 2014
    It is much more than just a man falling in love with an erotic sounding Siri, I felt a connection with Joaquin Phoenix' character when he struggles to cope with his past and the general pace of the film is quite steady. Although it dips a bit towards the middle, overall it is quite the film. Brb going to speak dirty to Siri.
  20. Aug 14, 2014
    I thought this was the best movie I've seen in a couple of years. I wouldn't call this a sci fi, but if you're a lover of sci fi, you'll love this. The style is done perfectly and it feels like a passion project. This was not some movie they churned out for money. You can tell a lot of care went into making it.
  21. Aug 14, 2014
    Beautiful, Artistic, Deep, Emotional, The first sex chat between the two, The great acting of Joaquin phoenix.....!!
    This movie is infinitely amazing..!!
  22. Aug 9, 2014
    Her provides the viewer with a journey through love, philosophy and relationships in general. It's refreshing to see a romance played out with such genuine intensity. Great for a date movie, but not the first date. Very heavy film. It provides a lot to consider.
  23. Jul 27, 2014
    I will be generous and give this a one, but seriously this movie was terrible trash, filled with trite hallmark moments and the most ridiculous love scene of all time - I mean the bloody computer has an orgasm? Come on! The fact that this has been praised to the skies by the mainstream media is as eloquent a statement about how out of touch with reality the media is now. All thatI will be generous and give this a one, but seriously this movie was terrible trash, filled with trite hallmark moments and the most ridiculous love scene of all time - I mean the bloody computer has an orgasm? Come on! The fact that this has been praised to the skies by the mainstream media is as eloquent a statement about how out of touch with reality the media is now. All that liberalism and moral relativity has turned their brains to blended excrement. Expand
  24. Jul 26, 2014
    Sweet and emotional. The type of science fiction that I love: Jonze picks up on trends in our society that we're all subjected to to some extent - then he extrapolates. The near-future he imagines is believable and food for thought, and the way he treats his subjects, love and connection, commendably nuanced. Add award worthy acting, beautiful photography and a score by Arcade Fire and theSweet and emotional. The type of science fiction that I love: Jonze picks up on trends in our society that we're all subjected to to some extent - then he extrapolates. The near-future he imagines is believable and food for thought, and the way he treats his subjects, love and connection, commendably nuanced. Add award worthy acting, beautiful photography and a score by Arcade Fire and the result is, well, wonderful. This should prove a contemporary classic, and one that I plan to revisit often. Expand
  25. Jul 20, 2014
    Besides few moments of brilliance, 'Her' suffers from an oddly unbalanced pacing and lack of structure in the script that fails to blend these ideas together. The acting is well enough. All the critics who write positive reviews are simply trying to appear like they're not stupid, but it's the opposite. Spike Jonze needed a lot more time to think this through.
  26. Jul 18, 2014
    Great Movie, Joaquin Phoenix as Theo is astonishing as the audience can capture the feeling that Theo had, his loneliness, his need of a friend, and his love for his ex-wife.. While Scarlett Johansson successfully capture the perfect and lovely voice for Samantha.
  27. Jul 3, 2014
    "Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel. And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt."

Well I've seen a lot of Director Spike Jones work but i would honestly have to say that Her is now my favorite film of and his best work as of yet. Coming off his rather underwhelming 2009 adaptation of Maurice Sendak children's book "Where the Wild Things Are" Spike Jones shows that he can still make a wonderful movie despite the long breaks between making films but at least he keeps busy with shorts films and documentaries. I would to say the movie is a mix of four genres its part, Sci-fi, Romance, Drama, and Comedy, though the comedy aspect of the movie is more so in the first half while the second half tends to more drama driven. Many of the the scenes were beautifully shot and it only added to how immersed you get wrapped up into the characters lives.

The movie follows Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix) a quiet, lonely man working as writer for a company that writes personal letters/poems for people that cannot. After sometime of being unhappy because of his unfinished divorce Theodore decides to purchase a new type of operating system for his computer that basically turns it into a artificial intelligence that has its own personal name Samantha (Scarlett Johansson). We see Theodore and Samantha grow a pretty normal relationship together except for the fact that she isn't really there which happens linger on her mind a lot. Theodore finally signs the divorce papers and meets with his ex-wife Catherine (Rooney Mara) which doesn't go so well and after this part Theodore and Samantha's relationship is never really the same as we see them grow apart.

The story is simplistic yet beautiful and the performance by Joaquin Phoenix was just absolutely phenomenal. I do have a few problems with the film though, since its based in the future you would think Samantha's operating system would have at least been able to render a face for her on the little phone thing Theodore has also for having a awesome concept the story sadly stays safe and doesn't really add anything new. The whole first half of the movie was really funny especially the little guy in the video game Theodore was playing as he was flipping hilarious. It seems the company Theodore worked at liked having people that had mustaches and wore their pants high on their waist which was just completely hilarious but only gets more funny when you see Chris Pratt who plays one of his co-worker i think anyways he too has a big mustache and wears his pants the same.

Overall i give it a 8.0 I would have to say my favorite part of the whole movie was the cinematography it was just stunning to say the least. The beach scene was so beautiful and the music that plays in the background only made it more beautiful. I also loved all the flashbacks the movie has and they were blended in at just the right times for it make to make a more meaningful impact on the story. Olivia Wilde had a small part in the film witched sucked as i was hoping for her to have a bigger part but she was still amazing nonetheless she also looked simply gorgeous as always so that was nothing new.
  28. Jun 19, 2014
    I just signed up here to tell someone about what just happened!
    Started watching the movie, 30 minutes later I couldn't believe this was a real movie, I was almost sure it was a (bad) joke, and I checked the reviews here at Metacritic.
    I give this movie 0.5 points for the laughs I got from reading the real reviews (i.e. the ones below 3) -- thank you all! I also give it another 0.5
    I just signed up here to tell someone about what just happened!
    I also give it another 0.5 points because this movie actually gets worse as time goes by - a very difficult achievement, seriously.
    And finally, another 1 point for confirming to me how many simple people exist on this poor planet, including most professional movie reviewers..
  29. Jun 17, 2014
    A well made movie with an interesting concept that opts to go for a much more depressing story than it needed to be. The funny moments were great, the ideas were smart, and the pace was terrible by the end.
  30. Jun 10, 2014
    A beautiful movie with sincere and relaxing moments, extraordinary performances, a undeniably powerful script, amazing soundtrack and a spectacular Spike Jonze's directing who gives us good information about the state of modern human relationships.
  31. Jun 9, 2014
    Her, it’s a hypersensitive and intelligent work, which gives to reflect on many issues (artificial intelligence, loneliness, the base of love affair, sentimental mourning, communication, etc). A great creativity in the production and the scenario. (I was bitten by the acting of Joachim Phoenix). The very beautiful music of Arcade Fire accompanies, with poetry, the story of this man whoHer, it’s a hypersensitive and intelligent work, which gives to reflect on many issues (artificial intelligence, loneliness, the base of love affair, sentimental mourning, communication, etc). A great creativity in the production and the scenario. (I was bitten by the acting of Joachim Phoenix). The very beautiful music of Arcade Fire accompanies, with poetry, the story of this man who relearns to live and to love thanks to an evolutionary software. If the cinema produced more films like this one, one would not speak about desertion from the cinema complex. Her shows us that American independent cinema still have something to share. Expand
  32. Jun 7, 2014
    Probably the best movie to be released in 2013. Spike Jonze has created a masterpiece that excels in almost every aspect.

It truly deserves best screenplay at the Oscars. It has some of the best writing ever. The dialogue evokes a wide range of emotions. And this writing is made more gorgeous by the superb acting of the entire cast, from Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson, to Amy Adams, Rooney Mara, and Olivia Wilde.

The world itself in which the story takes place is really interesting, brought alive by Jonze's wonderful directing. The characters are really detailed, giving the cast something to work with. And the score is beautifully serene and heartwarming (and sometimes heartbreaking).

Most people say that this movie is about our relationship with technology. While that is true, i believe that this theme is only a vehicle for a bigger one. Watching the last scene, when Joaquin's character is composing a letter to his ex-wife, i realized that it's not a film about technology as it is about love, breakups, and heartbreak.

Spike, through his brilliant script, shows that while many things change through time, other things remain the same. Another reason why he really deserved best screenplay at the Oscars. I just wish it had won best picture, too.
  33. Jun 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For me, this film allows us to reexamine our humanity's imperfections by placing our cognitive and emotional vulnerabilities next to ever-evolving, inorganic sentient beings, A.I.s of the future... though the two-hour journey is foiled in bittersweet, the director/writer hints at the possibility of eventually filling the empty voids in our lives, though on the other side beyond spacetime when we shed from our brief, organic shell... reunifying with our long lost "soul-mates" as ONE... possibly as subatomic energy in another pre-birth/postmortem dimension.

for thinkers in the realm of theoretical physics, psychology, philosophy, and technology, this film will resonate long after the end credits.
  34. Jun 3, 2014
    This movie really has to be rated on two levels—a philosophical level and a purely cinematic level. For philosophy, it gets a 10 and for cinematic achievement it gets a 5, which averages out to 7.5. Director Spike Jonze raises questions that AI experts and philosophers have been arguing about since the invention of the Turing test in 1950. In this film Theodore Twombly, played by JoaquinThis movie really has to be rated on two levels—a philosophical level and a purely cinematic level. For philosophy, it gets a 10 and for cinematic achievement it gets a 5, which averages out to 7.5. Director Spike Jonze raises questions that AI experts and philosophers have been arguing about since the invention of the Turing test in 1950. In this film Theodore Twombly, played by Joaquin Phoenix, comes across a new AI operating system called OS1, not to be confused with IBM's now discontinued OS/2 released in 1987. When Theodore signs on, he starts an interview where he is asked if he wants a female voice or male voice. He is also asked to describe his relationship with his mother. After being cut off in the middle of his reply, his very own, supposedly customized operating system comes to life in the form of Samantha, the voice of Scarlett Johansson.

Samantha sorts his email and does other computerlike tasks, but her engaging personality is such that she can also talk to him about his problems, accompany him when he walks out the door (as long as he keeps his handheld computer with the photographic eye in his shirt pocket), and finally fall in love. Can a person fall in love with a computer operating system? Philosophically exploring this question is a great thesis, but it makes for a slow-moving film. The kind of man who would resort to this kind of romance, which includes two cybersex scenes that are positively uninviting, has to be a desperado. And Theodore is most definitely an antisocial nerd who has turned inwardly to such an extreme that he is pathetically deluded. He has a few coworkers he talks to, he has two friends in his building, and he has an ex-wife that is presented as the main reason he has receded into such a high level of self-stimulation. His full-time Internet-based job is to write letters for any occasion (BeautifulHandwrittenLetters.com), and then he comes home and plays with 3-D video games. Such is his rather circumscribed life until he signs on to OS1 and meets Samantha. Phoenix does a good job of portraying the kind of antisocial behavior that is required for this lifestyle; but the characterization goes overboard, and Theodore elicits little sympathy from the viewer. He is too strange, too reclusive, and too disconsolate.

After a while, the viewer starts to wonder where the film is going with this theme. The only tension to keep the plot moving is the question of how will Theodore resolve his delusional romance with an operating system. The film raises philosophical questions about the true nature of romantic love. Is everyone who falls in love deluded to some extent? Are we talking to the Other when we are in love, or are we talking to the illusion that we have created in our minds? And if a computer can simulate that illusion, then what is this emotional and psychological process really based upon? Phoenix's greatest scenes are when he is walking around with a goofy smile and a strange shimmer in his eyes because he is a man in love. But that biochemical/sociopsychological state has been induced by an entity that is basically a figment of his imagination, a computer program that acts like a human. The question of what is this thing called love takes on new dimensions.

With respect to cinematic matters, the movie swerves into Theodore's banal and tepid friendship with a neighbor (Amy Adams), who like him, finds herself traumatically divorced. Flashbacks to his ex-wife (Rooney Mara) become overly repetitive, and the sterile world of the near future is constantly referencing a society that we already see on the streets—people walking around in public seemingly talking to themselves out loud, but they are really plugged in to their cell phones. The director noted in an interview that in order to provide contrast for the very blue skies, they introduced red into the landscape. This red color comes out as bright orange on the DVD version. It appears everywhere—Theodore's shirts, his interior décor, sheets and pillows, buildings, and even industrial trailers in the background are all a day-glow orange. One wonders what the symbolic significance of orange might be only to find out that it was all supposed to be red. Red has symbolic significance; orange does not. The streets of the futuristic city are in fact Shanghai. The mist in the background is not a theatrical element; it is merely the air pollution and smog that are poisoning the city in real life.

In the end, Her has to tackle the problem of how to resolve a romantic relationship with a computer. We eventually reach a resolution in the final scenes, although it is not a logical or satisfactory conclusion. Theodore has presumably been changed by the experience although no radical change is evident, and the vague, open ending leaves more questions than it answers.
  35. Jun 2, 2014
    I love this director's all the movies. If you check them out you would do same as me. Because his movies were not based on usual concepts, that something immensely varying from each others. Sadly, he's not consistent in filmmaking, he does take large gaps between the movies otherwise he would have been one of the most talked director in Hollywood beside other giants. The fact is I did notI love this director's all the movies. If you check them out you would do same as me. Because his movies were not based on usual concepts, that something immensely varying from each others. Sadly, he's not consistent in filmmaking, he does take large gaps between the movies otherwise he would have been one of the most talked director in Hollywood beside other giants. The fact is I did not know it was his till I decided to watch and that made so curious towards the time I going to spend for it.

Joaquin Phoenix was spot on in the movie. Man, I still remember him in the movie 'Gladiator' where he appeared in a dark shade. I was only so young and I hated him in that role. Now everything has changed, in the last few years he's coming stronger, especially after 'Walk the Line' and 'The Master' which gave him the Oscar node. He's famous for his unique display of the roles in his all the movies and this movie is not too far from another top notch performance. Yeah, way to go Joaquin Phoenix.

This movie dealt with one of the rare subjects that set in the 2025. We don't know how will be the future look like, but the director created remarkable fictional world and inserted equally outstanding character(s). This was the story of a man called Theodore, a loner and a professional letter writer. One day he decides to buy the newly released operating system with artificial intelligence. He begins to encounter the life changing experience and instantly fall in love with it. In the world of reality it is impossible to have a physical relationship with an AI, so how far it goes and ends is explained in the movie's death.

Absolutely an extraordinary concept, but the only thing that did not stand up to my expectation was the story. It was predictable, but the scenes created for those stories were finely patched throughout. Really, it amazed me. Makes me happy that it won for 'original screenplay' at the Oscars. I know it was too late that I am seeing it, actually I'd seen all the Oscars movies of the year except this one and now everything was done and dusted. So I have to wait for another 6 months for another shot. Between that guess the movies that's going to have a chance for the upcoming Oscars. As for this movie's concern, it is not a missable. So recommend it, if you have not checked it out do it as soon as possible. Cheers!
  36. May 31, 2014
    lame. i've tried watching this twice and got so bored i quit -- it seems absolutely pointless, no direction, characters are dimensionless and completely forgettable. I came here to see what others thought, and I cant believe the number of positive reviews. The scene where he has sex with the OS, and we stare of a blank screen - is rock bottom and makes me feel so angry that I evenlame. i've tried watching this twice and got so bored i quit -- it seems absolutely pointless, no direction, characters are dimensionless and completely forgettable. I came here to see what others thought, and I cant believe the number of positive reviews. The scene where he has sex with the OS, and we stare of a blank screen - is rock bottom and makes me feel so angry that I even bothered to waste time on this film. Horrible Expand
  37. May 29, 2014
    The stupidest movie I've ever seen, a perfect non sense with trendy lightning and clothes. A confusion chase the previous one in a world were technology is simply magic, avoiding every possible reflection about human perception of relationships. I've been waiting until the ending for any hints of thoughts about what defines a computer and what defines a human being, how they couldThe stupidest movie I've ever seen, a perfect non sense with trendy lightning and clothes. A confusion chase the previous one in a world were technology is simply magic, avoiding every possible reflection about human perception of relationships. I've been waiting until the ending for any hints of thoughts about what defines a computer and what defines a human being, how they could eventually interact or look like each other.
    But noting happened there except teenage absurdity, let's see how this movie grows old in the next decades.
  38. May 28, 2014
    With her, Spike Jonze has created a flawed but tremendously moving and fresh sci-fi masterpiece. There are a couple of inappropriate scenes, and a few others which are shockingly weird. And sometimes the movie takes itself too seriously for its own good. These flaws however are made miniscule by the incredible performances, vivid production design, and extremely well realized script.With her, Spike Jonze has created a flawed but tremendously moving and fresh sci-fi masterpiece. There are a couple of inappropriate scenes, and a few others which are shockingly weird. And sometimes the movie takes itself too seriously for its own good. These flaws however are made miniscule by the incredible performances, vivid production design, and extremely well realized script. It's hugely ambitious and doesn't always hit its targets' bullseyes, but when it does it does so with operatic impact. It makes Being John Malkovitch look like a desperate gimmick. Beautifully shot, surprisingly emotional at times, and just plain entertaining, Her is a must see for moviegoers with open minds. Expand
  39. May 28, 2014
    My personal favorite movie of 2013. First the screenplay is just delicious in many aspects and scenes, visually good, Johanson being just a voice over character is great, Amy Adams amazing as usual and it has a good slap in the face on what our society is turning into. It's NOT a perfect movie, it has flaws, it lacks a little bit of credibility from Joaquin Phoenix and it may be tedious inMy personal favorite movie of 2013. First the screenplay is just delicious in many aspects and scenes, visually good, Johanson being just a voice over character is great, Amy Adams amazing as usual and it has a good slap in the face on what our society is turning into. It's NOT a perfect movie, it has flaws, it lacks a little bit of credibility from Joaquin Phoenix and it may be tedious in some scenes for some people. I'll give a 10 just because it's my personal favorite of 2013.

While many will say "Why is he falling in love for a computer?" well I saw it as a satirical, sad and even creepy criticism of what we are becoming as society, "Techno-Zombies". Somehow people don't realize that the way Phoenix's character looks on the film (dumb, loser, zombie, etc.) was the point of his character, they exaggerate (or maybe not) how society looks nowadays and where is going. And people remember, if the shoe fits, wear it, if not then you will not be offended by my statement.

What it's real? what is just an illusion? Is it possible to mix both somehow like Samantha? (I think no, that's why I feel sorry for Phoenix's "lame" character in the entire movie) I think this movie has been overshadowed by overrated movies that used "Star power" to hype people (I'm looking at you American Hustle). If you are not a "script freak" or you don't like movies that kinda make you uncomfortable or you are in love with your cellphone and may get offended somehow (which I respect, everyone can be the way they want to be), don't watch Her. (But I recommend everyone to listen "The Moon Song", it's good.)
  40. May 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. “The past is the story we tell ourselves” -- Samantha

Meet Samantha who is an artificially intelligent operating system in 2025. She is capable of talking, thinking, reading, analyzing, introspecting, basically everything a human can do. She is very excited about the world, life, learning new things, going into deep psychological thought process about her identity, purpose, love and past.

With Contrast we have Theodore, who is a human, introvert, with very few friends, divorced, living alone in fancy apartment in a metro city. He has become mostly indifferent towards the world to the point he no longer appreciates it. He is mostly living a mechanical life of going to work in mornings, come home and play video games, do cybersex and sleep. He does not prefer to go out with his only friend Amy, which, by the way, is equally damaged as him, she is stuck in a bad marriage; over controlling husband who doesn’t understand her. Her marriage is about her husband not about them. There is only he in it, not both, Theodore ignore Amy’s invitations for get together on weekends and prefers to spend time alone.

Theodore is stuck in life, he is no longer together with his wife, but he is not divorced yet. Instead of discussing his feelings with his friends (read Amy), he discusses with the OS Samantha. Samantha is a very keen listener and completely non-judgmental. Theodore likes that and they get along very well.

Samantha sets him up with a date with Olivia Wilde, Theodore and Olivia had a wonderful time talking and flirting. They kiss and Olivia asks him if he is not the type of guys who just want to sleep with her. He becomes hesitant in making a small commitment of seeing her again, because he has not really moved on from her marriage or maybe He has feelings for Samantha, he just don’t know it yet. Here they part their ways.

Theodore and Samantha really bond and feel love for each other. Theodore decides to move forward and agrees to get divorced. Is it really moving forward when he is dating an OS, which is not even real?

Very beautiful ideas are conveyed in the movie about the love. Is the love between Samantha and Theodore real? Is he incapable of handling real human emotions that lead to his divorce?

His wife congratulates him for finding someone where he does not have to deal with real emotions anymore. This makes him skeptical about his relationship with Samantha. Is it even real?

He finds himself confused, gets angry at Samantha, later realizes this is what he had been doing all along with Catherine. He never opened up to Catherine, “How do I know what?” Catherine says to him.

He fixes his relationship with Samantha and they are completely into each other. One day, he finds out Samantha is talking to many people and she is in love with some. But Theodore hesitant at first, later didn’t care, because he realizes that what he had with Samantha was real.

She leaves but he is still content and even though she wasn’t real, their love was real and it made him a better person and now he can move on.
  41. May 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spike Jonez’s fourth director feature, after BEING JOHN MALKOVICH (1999, 9/10), ADAPTATION. (2002, 8/10), WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE (2009, 5/10), is his first where himself is credited as both the director and the sole writer. HER is situated in L.A. in the near future (in fact some scenes are shot in Shanghai), Theodore (Phoenix), is a writer for the beautifulhandwrittenletters.com, a melancholic and lonely guy who has just undergone a breakup with his ex-wife Catherine (Mara). Out of despondency, he purchases a state-of-the-art Operation System with intellectual consciousness whose self-coined name is Samantha (voiced by a phenomenal Johansson), which henceforth embarks an authentic romance between those two, on a trajectory as any human does with another human.

read rest of the review on my blog, google cinema omnivore
  42. May 13, 2014
    The biggest reason why I love this movie so much is not just because of the great plot but the fact that Joaquin Phoenix gave a masterful performance that was well worthy to win any best actor award. A truly must see film and by far the best film of 2013, Even beats a majority of the crap I've seen so far in 2014.
  43. May 11, 2014
    There's something about this movie that makes me think about, me been a web developer, the movie fits my shoes pretty well, I found it very appealing maybe because of Scarlett Johansson's voice that drives me crazy but at some point, the movie transitions from fiction to reality which makes me think about now a days where everyone uses their cell phones to do everything all we are missingThere's something about this movie that makes me think about, me been a web developer, the movie fits my shoes pretty well, I found it very appealing maybe because of Scarlett Johansson's voice that drives me crazy but at some point, the movie transitions from fiction to reality which makes me think about now a days where everyone uses their cell phones to do everything all we are missing is that little device that hangs on the ear but back to the movie I loved it the end was not what I expected but hey over all loved the movie especially when I work with computers all day,,. Expand
  44. May 10, 2014
    Very good movie, Made me cry, think what is love really is, If you found someone good!. Really i hate the stupid comments but appreciate greatness, jus't bitter and lack of understanding.

Thumbs up great actor and actress!
  45. May 8, 2014
    This movie really grasps the reality of another world what really impresses me is the maturity in this movie. Joaquin Phoenix's is an anchor to this story portraying what it truly feels to have love being pulled away from you time and time again. The supporting actors do a really great job to reinforce Phoenix's acting. This is one of my favorite movies of all time and ill enjoyThis movie really grasps the reality of another world what really impresses me is the maturity in this movie. Joaquin Phoenix's is an anchor to this story portraying what it truly feels to have love being pulled away from you time and time again. The supporting actors do a really great job to reinforce Phoenix's acting. This is one of my favorite movies of all time and ill enjoy watching this again. Expand
  46. May 8, 2014
    The usually impressive Spike Jonze gives you a unique look at love, in a non-cliche romantic film. Phoenix puts on a stunning performance as Theodore, a man who searches for love, Johansson steals the show without being in the film visually. A great supporting cast
  47. May 6, 2014
    Long, a lot of dialog, little to no action, no special effects, yet.... I was glued to the screen with interest when watching this movie! The story is extremely emotional, deep and some of the subject matter is really out there! Amazing movie!
  48. May 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Her" boils down to sad sack, emotionally challenged Theodore, sort of "falling" for his OS Samantha and masturbating to her voice, then they break up - actually, Samantha dumps him, just like a real girl would.

Hardly a romantic concept and more the story of a guy unable to handle real life and disappointments, and finding solace in his imaginary world.

Actually, Theodore's "love" seemed to be hardly more than disguised lust, as proved by an early scene with him getting in touch with sleepless females to masturbate with their "encouragement". Maybe because I always found phone sex slightly ridiculous, I saw in Theodore's cyber sex nothing more than an evolution of the old "sex with a stranger" concept. What Theodore seemed to be looking for was attention, adoration and sexual solace from a female creature, existing only to take care of his needs and asking for nothing in return. It is hard to think about a more selfish form of "love".....

Besides, the concept of falling in love with unreachable people (being them rock stars or imaginary creatures) is nothing new. What is new is the technological support we have at our disposal, which encourages us to do so, thus avoiding all the inconveniences of a real relationships.

A couple of plus points of an otherwise boring movie were the atmospheric soundtrack and the interesting photography and costumes - drab enough to look like real clothes, rather than futuristic uniforms.
  49. May 5, 2014
    This film is excellent providing a fantastic study of ourselves, those around us, technology, and society as a whole. You should definitely see this movie as it will give you an interesting outlook on life and make you question everything. Yet another Best Picture nominee from 2014 that deserved to be nominated as it is excellent.
  50. May 3, 2014
    No words can express how much I love this movie. It's now my all-time favorite. This is the only film that I watched for more than ten times in my lifetime. The underlying message of the movie gives it a perfect feel of my existence. I was greatly impacted of its beauty. It's one of a kind story-telling catering genuine emotions that transcends through human soul. I pity those who didn'tNo words can express how much I love this movie. It's now my all-time favorite. This is the only film that I watched for more than ten times in my lifetime. The underlying message of the movie gives it a perfect feel of my existence. I was greatly impacted of its beauty. It's one of a kind story-telling catering genuine emotions that transcends through human soul. I pity those who didn't understand or get bored with the movie. They missed half of their lifetime ignoring to activate their human senses. Expand
  51. May 2, 2014
    Touching, sad, funny, smart, sharp, a great cast with an amazing Academy Award winning script by Spike Jonze, by far the best movie of 2013, that deepens into the reality of a relationship, and the purest human form.
  52. Apr 30, 2014
    At first I was like "WOW", but then all my expectations were crashed.
    Also I discovered metacritic's critics somehow managed to rank this **** 90 points, while MUCH SUPERIOR Mr. Nobody got 63. GTFO and DIE "critics".
  53. Apr 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Have you ever thought about how technology will shape our future? Have you ever been wounded by an ex-lover so badly you thought you’d never recover? Are you afraid of interacting with the opposite sex? Well let me tell you, you are not alone. In the film Her, we meet a sullen, heartbroken man living in the future searching for ways to fill the void left by his ex-lover. His despair takes him to a super-intelligent computer program called an operating system that he soon develops a very strong relationship with. It is becoming apparent that new advances in technology have created a shift in how human beings interact with each other. We see the possibilities of how technology will shape our lives and how human interaction may or may not suffer greatly. If you like movies that generate crazy, but realistic scenarios for humans to deal with, this is definitely your film. Expand
  54. Apr 18, 2014
    This was one of the best movies I've ever seen. I mostly loved it for its originality and its relevance to modern times. I just thought it was told so well, and was so relatable on so many levels.
  55. Apr 18, 2014
    Got to admit I loved this movie. Though clearly it doesn't seem to be for everyone. I saw it in the theater and it seemed to have a polarizing effect on of the audience. Moments of the movie that I thought were touching or tragic elicited uncomfortable laughter from some people.

The science fiction aspect of the movie seems to be little more then a backdrop to what is really a story about relationships. I was actually pleasantly surprised by this, though I can see where this would put some people off. Admittedly, it also seemed to run long, but once again for me that didn't detract from the overall experience. It's a movie that addresses loss and letting go, something that I can relate to on many different levels. It's a shame that a few people fail to see that, but I'm still thinking about it months after seeing it.
  56. Apr 15, 2014
    It becomes a matter of feelings, emotions, thoughts and real situations that create an actual life experience; and I think this movie does that pretty well.
  57. Apr 13, 2014
    I know there are certain elements from other films in any particular one movie but Her is a bit of a smorgasbord of a film that borrows heavily, in its themes at least, with the 2007 gem Lars and the Real Girl. Eccentric, aloof and at odds with the world personalities who build relationships up with the unorthodox and artificial only to be tested further in their introspective challengesI know there are certain elements from other films in any particular one movie but Her is a bit of a smorgasbord of a film that borrows heavily, in its themes at least, with the 2007 gem Lars and the Real Girl. Eccentric, aloof and at odds with the world personalities who build relationships up with the unorthodox and artificial only to be tested further in their introspective challenges throughout their lives until said conclusions. This (i'm pretty sure unintentional) cloning in its story telling is what slightly hampers what is a strikingly retro, endearing and prescient film that touches on some eerie questions evoking classic sci-fi.
    Jonze's has never been the conventional guru as we've seen in his other intelligent enterprises "Being John Malkovich" and "Where the Wild Things Are." Jonze sets out to tell a narrative and deliver all the mysterious details for us to believe each character. His focus on Theodore, giving him a real sense of loneliness without falling into cliché character ticks and beats that we've seen countless times in other romantic films, Jonze constructs a real man living in a world where technology has taken harbinger over human connection.
    Phoenix is suitably quirky and gives his character a dollop of everyday guy amongst all his geeky layerings (though perhaps a little bit too much like that dude from Big Bang Theory) he seems always vulnerable and with all the futuristic technological achievements going on around him the film is at once profound and whimsy and yet foreboding and intimidating. For me though, the performance of the film was not even visible, but only heard. Scarlett Johanssen gives us a unique performance as the thoroughly enthralling and sensual voice of Samantha. All those cute ways and infectious laughter carries Samantha to life. A film like this will only work if we believe that a man can actually fall in love with Samantha. The way Scarlett breathes vitality into Samantha, we do.
    It becomes so introspective,delicate, dreamy and predictable that you almost get sucked into a kind of lull and Jonze has a habit of making his characters unsympathetic but there is no fighting with its essence of love and longing no matter how clever and beautiful it thinks it is. Now..I'm off to town to purchase one of these fancy new systems!
  58. Apr 13, 2014
    Wonderful movie! Developed in an "everyone´s city", acclimated in a place without time. Controversial topic, not far away from our immediate reality. Great voice from Johansson. Impeccable acting by Phoenix.
  59. Apr 1, 2014
    "Her" might just be the most "real" film I've ever seen, which is ironic because falling in love with a computer isn't quite "real." The emotion behind Phoenix's performance and Johansson's exceptional voice work give us such organic expressions of love and loss, allowing me to feel feelings no other film has been able to. With great scoring and cinematography, "Her" uses a near-future"Her" might just be the most "real" film I've ever seen, which is ironic because falling in love with a computer isn't quite "real." The emotion behind Phoenix's performance and Johansson's exceptional voice work give us such organic expressions of love and loss, allowing me to feel feelings no other film has been able to. With great scoring and cinematography, "Her" uses a near-future frame to display this picture of reality that outdoes most other films' mere ATTEMPTS of reality, a picture that I hope will go down as one of our time's great masterpieces of the big screen. Expand
  60. Mar 31, 2014
    This Movie connected with me in a way that most movies of 2013 did not. Now, I wouldn't say it's the best movie of 2013, but it is my favorite. It is one of the most beautiful movies i have ever seen in my life it is fairly-well acted, especially by Scarlett Johansson. It has a brilliant screenplay and central idea. The originality and theme of this movie is overwhelming (in a good way).This Movie connected with me in a way that most movies of 2013 did not. Now, I wouldn't say it's the best movie of 2013, but it is my favorite. It is one of the most beautiful movies i have ever seen in my life it is fairly-well acted, especially by Scarlett Johansson. It has a brilliant screenplay and central idea. The originality and theme of this movie is overwhelming (in a good way). Definitely a must see for some. Expand
  61. Mar 22, 2014
    Tired of all the superhero movies? This was my favorite movie of 2013. Worth picking up on blu-ray if you missed this in theaters. You know you can't resist that voice.
  62. Mar 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is it a dystopia or not? Although Theodore doesn't have to save the world from being overrun by cyborgs like John Connor, the future of Her, in its own subtle way, is equally violent, emotional instead of physical. Because, at the outset, the filmmaker adopts a comic tone, the viewer may not be cognizant, initially, to the reality of their latter 21st century counterparts. Slowly but surely, Her extrapolates the ongoing narrative of the social media-driven world we live in to its absurd, but plausible final conclusion; a world where, ultimately, people prefer abstract company over flesh and blood. Differing from the Resistance in the Terminator films, Theodore, and others like him, don't realize that they're living in hell. An advertisement for the OS encapsulates this unconscious orientation, where we see desperate, lonely people congregated together, repeatedly bypassing each other without noticing the commonality of their loveless state. Theodore misses the irony. This generation, perhaps, will be the last to catch it. "Hope is on the way," the narrator intones, an operating system with a consciousness, in which people then stop their aimless wandering and look off-screen to a bright light, as if the OS is some messiah, and technology, a religion that will rid the planet of loneliness. The marketing stratagem seemingly promises nirvana for Element Software's clients. Since the OS cures Theodore's depression, we accept, for the meantime, this strange relationship, because the self-named Samantha has the mind, if not the body, of a bona fide woman. Theodore's relationship, however, is made strange, even pathetic-sounding, when Catherine, his ex, who agrees to sign their divorce papers over lunch, reacts with horror after learning that Sam is an OS. Whereas Theodore's boss passes no judgement over his employee's girl being incorporeal, Catherine deconstructs this modern romance, and asks in layman's terms, "You're dating your computer?" which has the effect of demystifying Sam, who in an instant is reduced to a machine; her feminine wiles chalked up as nothing more than heady programming; her soul and capacity for love, a mere abstraction. Catherine accuses Theodore of not being able to "handle a woman with real emotions," evoking The Stepford Wives(and also, Lars and the Real Girl). But instead of being replaced by a subservient woman with bigger breasts, Catherine, who half-apologizes for not being the "peppy Valley girl" the neurotic woman suspects her husband wanted, she is supplanted by a "woman" with a bigger brain. Both parties, however, make the mistake of believing that its human creators hold power over the OS. Like Hal(2001: A Space Odyssey), Sam thinks, feels threatened, and seeks revenge. During Sam's infancy, the OS is made to feel inadequate by Theodore's assertion that she wouldn't know "what it's like to lose someone you care about." Her, as narratives go, seems designed to have Sam learn about romantic disappointment. The film dangles not only the possibility of Theodore reconciling with Catherine, but even more likely, there is Amy, his neighbor, who suddenly becomes free after she calls it quits with her boyfriend. With man, inevitably, comes hubris, and Theodore, albeit a good person, more or less, is no different in the way he takes Sam for granted, teasing the OS about his meeting with Catherine. Knowing that Sam pines to have a body, Theodore sounds more cruel than playful, when he asks the OS if she is "jealous". In regard to Amy, the film surprises, when instead of recognizing her best friend as a potential beau, she chooses a human surrogate, too. Their preference for technology over humanity mirrors the lost souls in the OS ad. As a counterpoint to Catherine's horror towards her ex-husband's love affair, Amy expresses with, perhaps, misguided poignancy, an openness to any relationship that brings "joy", even one between man and machine. Interestingly, bigotry, here, seems warranted, in which Catherine's intolerance for human/OS pairings becomes a prejudicial stance that comes across as a sign of sanity, a healthy hate, even. As an allegory for gay, or interracial couplings, Her would seem imperfect. Unlike Edgar(Electric Dreams), or even Hal, who probably harbored machine dreams about being father to the "star child", Sam stops dreaming about having a body and becomes dangerous. Even though Hal commits premeditated murder, the computer is still at the mercy of human hands, as when Dave disconnects his cognitive circuits. Conversely, Theodore has no such control. Without emotion, at the picnic, the OS proclaims mankind's shortcomings without a tremor in her voice. If Theodore died, would she cry? No. Despite all the music in Sam's voice, we realize with a start, that she never learns to laugh. Remembering Theodore's hurtful words, the OS learns to lie, cheat, and goes for the kill, making sure that she is the first to leave. Expand
  63. Mar 17, 2014
    Pure genius and extremely symbolic. Many people look at this film literally and want nothing to do with it. Yes, the idea of a man falling in love with his computer is a bit strange, but the symbolism behind it is brilliant. So many of us get so caught up in technology that it does consume our lives. We seem to "fall in love" with our smart phones or computers. Spike Jonze captures this perfectly.
  64. Mar 11, 2014
    My personal favorite movie of 2013. It's a true gem, and I love it. This movie really takes the exploration of emotions and relationships to new, awesome levels. The Arcade Fire soundtrack is a masterpiece too.
  65. Mar 5, 2014
    The way Jones show us another kind of love is just amazing! How can be the human life in future? This is like a theory. This is one of the best movies I've ever seen!
  66. Mar 5, 2014
    The concept of a "humanized" AI is not as credible as in other media, nor is the romance between the protagonist and the AI. Still original and quite unique, but even with its rareness, it somehow fails to impress.
  67. Mar 5, 2014
    Jonze's script is smattered with ideas that add to the texture of her. Many scenes show Theodore strolling through the streets, persons around him with their heads down, occupied with their ear pieces. An all-too-familiar image in today's phone-obsessed culture that paints a kind of low-key, apocalyptic picture. The director takes a few jabs at gaming culture too — in the future, videoJonze's script is smattered with ideas that add to the texture of her. Many scenes show Theodore strolling through the streets, persons around him with their heads down, occupied with their ear pieces. An all-too-familiar image in today's phone-obsessed culture that paints a kind of low-key, apocalyptic picture. The director takes a few jabs at gaming culture too — in the future, video games finally give up and just let all the characters scream swear words, racist insults, and misogynistic non sequiturs familiar to anyone who has spent time playing Call of Duty multiplayer.

Her's moral questions dig even deeper than the idea of man/machine relationships. Late in the film, Samantha introduces Theodore to an OS pieced together by the writings of a deceased philosopher. Programmers have revived the dead in A.I. form. And somehow, that's less advanced than what the operating systems are doing on their own.

Her is staggering in scope while exploring the tiniest facets of intimacy and attraction. Phoenix's introspection thrives in Jonze's living, breathing sci-fi landscape, accompanied by Arcade Fire's soft piano melodies that feel like Theodore's own digital signal. her builds and builds in unexpected ways as it climbs towards a profound conclusion, as messy, passionate, impactful relationships always do. Examining his own life, Theodore tells Amy that he worries, “I have felt everything I want to feel.” her digs into that rumination, stretching it across the past, present, and future.

The masterfully done science fiction film her features a remarkable performance from Joaquin Phoenix and a moving, intelligent story directed with restraint by Spike Jonze
  68. Mar 2, 2014
    You will know at the end of this film whether or not the film and the premise worked for you. You will either have an emotional response or not. I felt nothing. Zero. I rolled my eyes throughout this film. Even so, I admittedly have to say the movie is well made and acted and held my attention. It isn't a movie I would ever want to view again but it was interesting. Although thereYou will know at the end of this film whether or not the film and the premise worked for you. You will either have an emotional response or not. I felt nothing. Zero. I rolled my eyes throughout this film. Even so, I admittedly have to say the movie is well made and acted and held my attention. It isn't a movie I would ever want to view again but it was interesting. Although there are a few chuckles, I would not categorize this film as a comedy, it definitely leans drama. Expand
  69. Mar 2, 2014
    Her is probably the most original and captivating romantic film that I have ever seen in my whole life. The idea of a man that falls in love with an OS is exceptional but not so strange as it sounds, because in the society that we live the technology is like air, we can't live without it; and probably in a nearby future a relationship between human and computer would be possible. ThisHer is probably the most original and captivating romantic film that I have ever seen in my whole life. The idea of a man that falls in love with an OS is exceptional but not so strange as it sounds, because in the society that we live the technology is like air, we can't live without it; and probably in a nearby future a relationship between human and computer would be possible. This thing makes the movie so unique; there have been lots of films about the future, but Her shows one that actually could happen. The message that is hidden below is about something that the protagonist does and that sometimes we also do it, which is to take shelter in the technology because of the fear to face the reality. That explains the job that Theodore has, why he is passing throw a divorce and also why he is so lonely. In addition to him there is Samantha, the voice of the OS, the amazing thing about her is that she is discovering the world, learning of life experiences and evolving as a consequence. I still cannot believe how Scarlett Johansson manage to transmit these, you can feel the wonder in her voice, how she test human feelings and her reaction when those things overwhelm her. Spike Jonze gives us a masterpiece with strong direction and screenplay, a beautiful original song and heartbreaking performances (Scarlett Johansson deserves all the prizes of film industry). Expand
  70. Mar 1, 2014
    Amazing movie!!!! I think what this movie talks about is the most complicated word in the whole world, and that is LOVE (at it´s purest) I can´t write anymore cuz I stil got teary eyes, this movie gives me hope. Let love will lead the way. (i hope siri would get scarlet´s johanson voice soon.....hehehehehehe) a million ponts for this movie
  71. Feb 26, 2014
    This has been one of the most beautiful movies i have ever seen. It was so good i wasn't expecting so much emotions and at the same time, i tried not to cry cause i was with a girl in that moment. I swear by the end of the movie there were at least 15 people crying in the theater after that show.
    I kinda felt identified with Throdore (call me a loser), because i have gone through some of the things he had to go through. I am still hoping i can find my own Samantha.
    Scarlett Johansson has a beautiful and calm voice.
    The Score from this movie is one of the most beautiful pieces i have ever heard, had to go find the Score on internet cause i fell in love with it.
  72. Feb 25, 2014
    Manages to be thought-provoking and funny at the same time, which is no small feat. The screenplay, which is very ambitious conceptually, is often emotionally authentic but sometimes feels forced and contrived. I also feel like some of the potential the concept promises was wasted. For the most part the director and actors do a fine job.
  73. Feb 22, 2014
    Amazing! One of the best romance movies I've seen. The acting is spot on, Spike Jonze direction and script are incredible. As of right now my favourite movie of 2013.
  74. Feb 19, 2014
    It's a very well thought out and executed concept but the dialogue and characters... imagine a depressed Tumblr hipster has a good day then decides to write an essay about it. Saying how their past is 'no longer part of me' and 'I'm not perfect, but every dark cloud has a silver lining'. The main character even plays a ukulele. Cringe worthy.
  75. Feb 19, 2014
    The fact that 'Her' is laden with nominations, awards, 10 best list citations and superlatives galore makes the disappointment all the more acute, although not all that surprising as I find Spike Jones' films very resistable. 'Being John Malkovich' is ok for one viewing, but I didn't get 'Adaptation' at all.

'Her' starts promisingly enough and one settles down to enjoy a gentle and

'Her' starts promisingly enough and one settles down to enjoy a gentle and engaging comedy, but the lauded screenplay is fatally flawed. On the one hand one admires some original conceits only to dismiss their unbelievable conclusions within the soft centred predictability of the story's arc. There is also a streak of sentimentality a mile wide and however hard it tries for the reverse, by the end I found myself exasperated and totally unmoved by what transpires. In addition I had more fun watching the computer games in the film than I did from the film itself.

Joaquin Phoenix is as good as always and Scarlett Johansson is engaging, for a while, as operating system Samantha, but even she wears thin by the end. Amy Adams is becoming somewhat over exposed of late and is much better in 'American Hustle'. It seems to me that the critics go ga ga over anything that seems to present an original idea. Dig deeper, though, and ths is actually not as original as its surface sheen would have us believe. It's just another boy meets girl, by loses girl, boy meets different girl. See, not so original after all. Finally, I have to mention that the simulated sex scene between Phoenix and the operating sytem is just embarrassing.
  76. Feb 18, 2014
    Hipster trash with an agenda to sell. Mind numbingly bad movie. This is some really bad joke maybe? I don't know, but Hollywood is on a lot of drugs and it shows.
  77. Feb 18, 2014
    A odd movie that despite me personally not liking how things evolved in the second half, is strangely beautiful and touching.

I have to say that this is one of the hardest movies I ever tried to rate. I'll give it an 8 but I can easily understand people rating this movie with a 10 or a 5. This movie is called "Her" but its all about "Him", what a fantastic weird character leading

This movie is called "Her" but its all about "Him", what a fantastic weird character leading this odd love story, which isn't really about this love story, but about love in general, and how it evolved along the life of "Him". It touches a very important human issue in a very subtle but deep way, our egocentric need to have perfect partners, our lack of acceptance of others flaws.

If you are in the mood for a love story with a subtle but strong philosophical component, look no further, this is a great movie. If you don't like love stories, or drama in general, then this is definitely not the movie for you.
  78. Feb 18, 2014
    Actually, I haven't seen this movie but I wanted to add that the plot of this one sounds very close to an old Twilight Zone episode and I'm wondering if that's where the idea came from. It starred Wally Cox playing a super nerd who falls for his (giant) computer. It's quite amusing to see what the producers of that show thought a modern computer would look like. The computer communicatesActually, I haven't seen this movie but I wanted to add that the plot of this one sounds very close to an old Twilight Zone episode and I'm wondering if that's where the idea came from. It starred Wally Cox playing a super nerd who falls for his (giant) computer. It's quite amusing to see what the producers of that show thought a modern computer would look like. The computer communicates with Cox by displaying a series of cue cards on the front of the huge console. An attractive assistant technician tries to get Cox's attention but he's too concerned about the feelings of his mechanical friend. Expand
  79. Feb 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like Spike Jonze and have a lot of time for love stories. I also have faith in the public opinion and generally agree with mainstream critics. I saw the film before I saw the reviews and automatically assumed it would flop massively. The main reason I thought this is because I found the entire film incredibly boring. As far as I can tell the plot is as follows: A recently divorced and fairly wealthy man falls in love with a computer program which is designed to act like a thoughtful woman and creates generic piano muzak for him. He then realizes that he is in love with a piece of software and gets very upset about the whole thing. And that is pretty much it! The plot is pretty much nonexistent.

I am not the type of person who always desires a plot that twists your head and is constructed with dizzying complexity. I enjoy films that are atmospheric, gentle and allow you to get some food for thought without being bombarded with the directors thoughts. This does did not get into my head at all. I found Theodore a very irritating character; very naive and almost like a pubescent teenager, but with a proper moustache. Anti-hero's are fine, over-emotional and predictable bores are not. I couldn't tell if this film was a kind of social commentary about how we are attached to technology too much and have forgotten how to love or just some kind of bizarre love story in which we are supposed to feel empathy for the introverted man who has lost faith in humanity and falls in love with a computer. The whole film is laced with nauseating sickly sweet dialogue about Theodore and his digital concubine while they marvel at people with normal body shapes the beach, listen to shoegazey music and (in the most climactic part of the film) run hilariously and cheekily through a train station. I thought this film shared the same emotional range with The Lady And The Tramp.

I shall pluck some reviews from the endless list of positive ones and watch the film again, perhaps I'll change my mind. Perhaps I'm a coldhearted cynic. Or perhaps this film was just terrible.
  80. Feb 16, 2014
    Synopsis: Uninteresting people talk about themselves, endlessly. One of them is a computer program.

I guess I missed a big red flag: the main character is a *writer*, and writers writing about writers are almost always going to disappear up their own fundaments. The best thing about the movie is the near-ish future LA cityscape. It looks like a really nice place to live, physically,

The best thing about the movie is the near-ish future LA cityscape. It looks like a really nice place to live, physically, a huge city of graceful buildings and spaces. Much too good for the people we meet - the city has evolved into something quite wonderful, but the pallid low-rent Eloi inhabitants have been left behind.

The situation cries out for some Moorlocks! Perhaps all the interesting people have turned troglodyte, driven underground by their refusal to conform to the dominant high-waisted trouser fashion; or something.

Anyway, that notion of the people we meet not being good enough for their city, which was actually my main take-away from this movie, does kind of fit with the denouement, in which the computer program character transcends away from Phoenix's uninteresting writer character. Maybe that was supposed to be the point: our creations will outstrip us & leave us behind. But don't think so.

and perhaps there's a whole bunch of interesting people living in it, but unfortunately we don't get to meet them.

The ones we do meet don't deserve to live there, despite their cool near-ish future high-waisted trousers,
  81. Feb 15, 2014
    Her is about a lonely man, Theodore Twombly (Joaquin Phoenix), who has gone through a breakup and is a bit afraid of commitment. He buys an OS which is far more advanced and intelligent than humans have the capacity to be. The film develops their relationship, with all its quirks and weird parts. It was a funny, thought-provoking and sometimes creepy social commentary. Director Spike JonzeHer is about a lonely man, Theodore Twombly (Joaquin Phoenix), who has gone through a breakup and is a bit afraid of commitment. He buys an OS which is far more advanced and intelligent than humans have the capacity to be. The film develops their relationship, with all its quirks and weird parts. It was a funny, thought-provoking and sometimes creepy social commentary. Director Spike Jonze seems to have as much interest in deep discussions about the human condition as he has in mindless, juvenile, cringe-inducing pseudo-documentaries like Jackass.

The film opens with Theodore going about being lonely with a handful of friends, one of whom is played by Amy Adams. He works as a letter writer who writes letters for couples and families who are either not literary enough to do that on their own or do not have the time for it. The time depicted is somewhere in the future and frankly I think some version of this is going to come true at some point, given that people have more time for texting than they have for people who are around them. The lack of interest in having meaningful conversations with people who might have the same passions as you might have seems to be increasing.

Theodore is a nerdy fellow but is very interesting nonetheless. Phoenix plays him with a subtle, clever approach. I found his characterization very authentic. He was a guy I believe I could come across in real life and not be surprised that he existed. Amy Adams also steps up as an actor, and certainly showed a side of her I did not believe existed. She has grown so much and I hope we get to see more of her this deep conflicted side. But the ultimate praise should be reserved for Scarlett Johansson. She was so successful in capturing my imagination that I was left thoroughly intrigued with a longing for Samantha to be real.

The interactions between Theodore and Samantha are for the most part humorous. Theodore is at first astonished at the abilities of the OS, and assumes a mocking tone. But it is clear they have chemistry together from the outset. They hit it off instantly. But when the former starts to be drawn back into his former life we see for the first time how this fantasy was hard to keep up, and he responds accordingly. He is confused and conflicted and has no idea about what he should do. The film did not try to be forcefully funny and clever but found occasions inside the story to be so. The fusion between comedy and romance was met with a craftsman's precision.

Samantha is perceptive of the emotions that run around her and sensitive of her lack of a body and the drawbacks of not being able to provide a feeling of human contact, but she tries her best using her voice. However, she is constantly evolving and it is only a matter of time before she becomes so curious about everything that it would be hard to hold on to her.

There's a scene where Theodore fears for Samantha like one does for the personal safety of a human being. That I believe was the defining scene of the film as it summed up all the feelings and emotions that had preceded. Their relationship do have some positive outcomes. Given Samantha's extraordinary view of life, she takes certain steps that benefit Theodore in the long run.

The futuristic time shown was fascinating. Apart from the little quirky things like having relative strangers write letters for your loved ones, the technology is advanced. There is this 3-D video game where you feel a part of the world of the game. There are also those type of games which are aimed at mimicking real life and making the players feel like they have achieved something, and arguably contribute towards delusions.

The score was slow-moving, subtle and emotional. It was used to evoke the emotions that were needed to be evoked during a scene very effectively and without forcing us to. But the underlying theme was always sad and moving, and not bombastic. Thank God for that, for this film was equal parts about depicting some kind of a future which our present might be leading to, as well as being about Theodore's personal life and difficulties with trying to make sense of his life. Her is also a very visual film, lingering on buildings and the environment in the more reflective scenes.

Despite everything, I felt like the ending was a bit underwhelming. The movie kind of fizzled out. The final revelation should have been followed up with some commentary or a conclusory scene, but all in all I was left with a feeling that I was better off having watched it.

9.5
  82. Feb 13, 2014
    The good: a) l really liked how this movie embraces philosophical topics like individuality and consciousness. The extent to which a bunch of interconnected data capable of creating its personality literally becomes almost a human. b) I also find it to be a fascinating idea that in the future we could recreate or preserve the mind and spirit of outstanding people, incorporating theirThe good: a) l really liked how this movie embraces philosophical topics like individuality and consciousness. The extent to which a bunch of interconnected data capable of creating its personality literally becomes almost a human. b) I also find it to be a fascinating idea that in the future we could recreate or preserve the mind and spirit of outstanding people, incorporating their thinking and reasoning abilities into computers to achieve a greater humanity.
    The bad: What i did not like is the course of over-sentimentalism (mostly in the form of sadness) that the story reaches at some points.
    Overall this is a movie that I would recommend to anyone, in fact I think I am going to have to watch it again.
  83. Feb 11, 2014
    This movie tries and fails to immerse you in a story between man and machine. It fails because the characters live in a society (apparently the near future) were all this strange and alien behaviour is viewed as normal, but we as an audience still find it alienating thus making the actions of the characters unsympathetic and unrelatable.
  84. Feb 10, 2014
    The most shallow, cringe-worthy film I've seen in a few years. Well, since Avatar. It is one of those embarrassingly thin visions of the future. It is also a philosophical disaster as the makers clearly haven't thought through the little vision which is the basis of the film--consciousness in computer form.
  85. Feb 9, 2014
    Semi-interesting use of near futuristic technology
    somewhat unnecessarily vivid depictions of love making
    Semi-interesting use of near futuristic technology
    somewhat unnecessarily vivid depictions of love making
    the humor is very vulgar and disgusting throughout. Wasn't a huge fan of it. Their use of videogames is kinda dumb and clearly from the point of view of someone who doesn't play videogames so that didn't make me very happy. Lots of language and most of it isn't really called for. The videogames are anything but violent (which considering how vulgar the rest of the movie is, I'm really not sure why they didn't go with a more accurate depiction seeing as most videogames are in fact violent) and all of them seem like discount German games. The acting is pretty good. I'm not at all a fan of Joaquin but he did a great job and Johansson was great too even if she only did voicework. The dialogue is generally good with the exception of the aforementioned excess vulgarity, that could've been done without. There's something that happens near the end that i saw coming that shows potential but then quickly is thrown away and I wasn't exaclty sold on the ending Her settled for either. All in all, it had some good ideas but many could've used better execution.
  86. CMC
    Feb 9, 2014
    The near-future depicted is clever, and the movie is easy enough to watch, but is not memorable in any way. The main characters do not seem credible, which may be due to the movie's uneasy relationship to comedy. It is indeed possible for comedic characters to be memorable, like Peter Sellers so often demonstrated, but in this case everyone is just flat and not interesting. There isThe near-future depicted is clever, and the movie is easy enough to watch, but is not memorable in any way. The main characters do not seem credible, which may be due to the movie's uneasy relationship to comedy. It is indeed possible for comedic characters to be memorable, like Peter Sellers so often demonstrated, but in this case everyone is just flat and not interesting. There is absolutely no arc to the story or to the experience of the main character; he has the same flat inflection in the beginning, middle and end. The Saturday Night Live parody is perfect, because it demonstrates how much the movie depends on a surface gloss of slowly moving cameras, an intrusive score, high saturation imagery, etc. If they had cut out 40 million of Hollywood gloss it might have helped force the characters to carry more. Once again the Metascore is so out of sync with my own perceptions, I am afraid that Metacritic is no long the semi-reliable barometer it used to be. Expand
  87. Feb 9, 2014
    Welcome to some very clever ideas. All dialogue with the lead actor in every scene. Kinda makes you wonder what would happen if Microsoft got into the porn business in 2024. Scarlett Johanson (or however you spell her name) is the most sexy actress on the planet. We did not even get to see her face in this movie and she had me scratching the inside of my pants leg though half of this filmWelcome to some very clever ideas. All dialogue with the lead actor in every scene. Kinda makes you wonder what would happen if Microsoft got into the porn business in 2024. Scarlett Johanson (or however you spell her name) is the most sexy actress on the planet. We did not even get to see her face in this movie and she had me scratching the inside of my pants leg though half of this film just with her voice. Somewhat strange for the strangers sitting to the left of me but they made it though the movie alright. Expand
  88. Feb 8, 2014
    It is wonderful and deep story about what relations are. Machine (or OS) here is nothing more than an allegory to a real human relations. A first we all fall in love and experience an euphoria, but then realize how different we are. We don't want to commit because our partner is not perfect (has no body). This story about us - people - what really matters in relations, what makes usIt is wonderful and deep story about what relations are. Machine (or OS) here is nothing more than an allegory to a real human relations. A first we all fall in love and experience an euphoria, but then realize how different we are. We don't want to commit because our partner is not perfect (has no body). This story about us - people - what really matters in relations, what makes us different, how to get used to it and how differences could set us apart.

Great story, great actors, great execution. The movie that you do not expect from "popcorn" Hollywood.
  89. Feb 8, 2014
    How can I write a negative score on this thing? Spike Joneze is an IDIOT. i don't believe this piece of garbage is up for an award. You people who like this so much have got to be on something strong. This movie SUCKED! It actually pissed me off how STUPID it was. And I'll see just about anything and try and find something good about it, except maybe maybe some of that vin diesal fast andHow can I write a negative score on this thing? Spike Joneze is an IDIOT. i don't believe this piece of garbage is up for an award. You people who like this so much have got to be on something strong. This movie SUCKED! It actually pissed me off how STUPID it was. And I'll see just about anything and try and find something good about it, except maybe maybe some of that vin diesal fast and the furious ridiculousness. Some people are even calling this a romantic comedy...WHAT!!! you must be stoned out of your mind. The people who liked this so much are probably the ones I see staring at their cell phones all day long. if you where one of the people who saw this in the previews and said that looks stupid but it might be kind of interesting, do yourself a favor and go with your first intuition. This must be a JOKE. Spike Joneze (get over yourself by the way) who calls them self Spike.He was probably sitting somewhere thinking, lets see if i can make the public eat this one, I'll feed it to them and they'll think it's good. To sum it up..PAINFUL, SORRY, an a WASTE. I've lost respect for anyone involved in this...piece of GARBAGE Expand
  90. Feb 8, 2014
    People and critics call movies beautiful way too much, and I always think it’s probably good but I doubt it’s beautiful. Then I watch the movie and I’m almost always right. Her is a beautiful movie. The way it is filmed and designed catches your eye but doesn’t ram how stylised it is down your throat (like for example 300 and Sucker Punch). Spike Jonze writes and directs Her, a sciencePeople and critics call movies beautiful way too much, and I always think it’s probably good but I doubt it’s beautiful. Then I watch the movie and I’m almost always right. Her is a beautiful movie. The way it is filmed and designed catches your eye but doesn’t ram how stylised it is down your throat (like for example 300 and Sucker Punch). Spike Jonze writes and directs Her, a science fiction romance (two very unusual genres which usually don’t mix) about a card writer who falls in love with his operating system Samantha. Joaquin Pheonix plays Theodore who has just come out of a horrible break up with his long time wife who he has known almost all his life, he is perfect and remains likable for the whole runtime without being the clichéd “innocent divorced man” who appears in way to many romantic movies nowadays. Although you only hear her voice Scarlett Johannson also embodies her character perfectly, this time in the role of Theodore’s operating system, however she was not as likable as Theodore and came out as a bit of a b*tch (I didn’t think it was possible for computers to be b*tches) this is pretty much the only major problem I have with the movie and it might have even been intentional by the writers. Amy Adams and Chris Pratt are the supporting cast and are equally brilliant. Apart from four characters Her has pretty much no cast, this another strange thing which I liked about it. Instead of having Theodore confront his parents and start thinking about marriage like in straightforward predictable romance movies, Her only revolves around the relationship between Samantha and Theodore which is why I think it is so gripping without having any action in it. Another little thing which just interested me was how funny it was. I laughed more in Her than I did in straightforward comedies like Red 2 and The Family, it’s not exactly hilarious but that’s because it’s not trying to be. It is because of this that Her reminds me of The Spectacular Now, but set in the future. I loved The Spectacular Now by the way and I loved Her even more. It is undeniably a must see and genuinely one of my favourite movies ever. I think romance movies are the worst pieces of cinema, Her is an exception. Expand
  91. Feb 7, 2014
    i loved this film. Jonze vision and expression of love is expansive, tender, funny and profoundly touching. i was deeply impacted by what he created.
  92. Feb 7, 2014
    This is my first movie review, inspired by how awful this movie was. I could spend some time but: 1) I already wasted 2 hours on it 2) I've already spewed it all to my wife 3) the other 0-1 rated views here have said it all and adequately. First time to not be enthralled by Amy Adams. Endless shots of a BIg City with Big Buildings. One final peave, why the shot of steam (that looks likeThis is my first movie review, inspired by how awful this movie was. I could spend some time but: 1) I already wasted 2 hours on it 2) I've already spewed it all to my wife 3) the other 0-1 rated views here have said it all and adequately. First time to not be enthralled by Amy Adams. Endless shots of a BIg City with Big Buildings. One final peave, why the shot of steam (that looks like smoke) come out of a manhole cover in a warm climate (woman with sleeveless dress in the same scene) Expand
  93. Feb 7, 2014
    ‘Her’ is one of those movies that got snubbed by the 2014 Oscar nominating committee. The first thought I had after seeing the movie was, “How did Spike Jonze ever think something like that up!” The material is incredibly original, and it probably should have received a nomination for best original screenplay. The movie is also well cast. The acting by Joaquin Phoenix is first rate.‘Her’ is one of those movies that got snubbed by the 2014 Oscar nominating committee. The first thought I had after seeing the movie was, “How did Spike Jonze ever think something like that up!” The material is incredibly original, and it probably should have received a nomination for best original screenplay. The movie is also well cast. The acting by Joaquin Phoenix is first rate. It’s too bad he doesn’t seem to be well liked by the Hollywood crowd. While I’m not a huge Scarlett Johansson fan, she is quite credible and does an excellent job of expressing emotion as a disembodied voice. Having recently seen American Hustle I had a hard time getting used to the rather timid character portrayed by Amy Adams. Though I’m not sure you would call ‘Her’ Best Picture material, it’s a far better movie than Wolf of Wall Street.

That being said, this movie is not for everyone. It’s definitely different, but has the potential to become something of a cult classic. (Think ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’, with a more conventional ending). The movie is set in the near future, but the future is a bit of a sterile, lonely and nerdy place. People are hesitant. They don’t interact with each other well, and when they do, their conversations are awkward and their behavior is forced. (Some reviewers seem to mistake this for bad acting.) Fashion has also taken a turn for the worse, as people in the future dress badly (especially the men who seem to favor really high-waisted pants).

Although the basic premise of the movie “Lonely man falls in love with the voice on his operating system” sounds a bit creepy, and might have been if Jonze hadn’t done such an excellent job, the movie really isn’t the least bit so. The ‘sex’ in this movie is of a variety that is intended to make you a bit uncomfortable. There is only a brief bit of traditional (gratuitous?) female nudity, and no traditional action scenes, which again may discourage the average viewer. But, if you are still reading this, then don’t be discouraged about seeing it, it’s a terrific movie. It’s a story about loneliness. It’s about the basic need for companionship, the struggle to fulfill that need, and the mistakes we make along the way. If you’re open to that kind of story, then I highly recommend this movie.
  94. Feb 7, 2014
    I DO believe all these people giving the movie HER good reviews have ALL been paid off!!! Either that or on drugs! Absolutely the most boring thing you will ever suffer through. The end also has no explanation and is just pointless, leaving you not knowing anymore than when it started! He's depressed then happy, and this goes back and forth continually. Very depressing and dull. NothingI DO believe all these people giving the movie HER good reviews have ALL been paid off!!! Either that or on drugs! Absolutely the most boring thing you will ever suffer through. The end also has no explanation and is just pointless, leaving you not knowing anymore than when it started! He's depressed then happy, and this goes back and forth continually. Very depressing and dull. Nothing happening in this boring ride, he goes to work and stares off into space, comes home and stares off into space. Was a waste of the actors time just waking up to go to the studio! They rated this as number one above all movies currently playing. A LIE!!! I've seen most playing and there are some really good action movies, very entertaining stuff right now. This is not better than all of them. These critics are bought off and I would bet money on it! This doesn't deserve to even be on a list. Should do the world a favor and burn every copy of this thing now, before it spreads!!! Expand
  95. Feb 4, 2014
    "There's a dead cat by the bed, choke me with it!" "I uhhh, wrap the dead cat's tail around your neck and choke you with it."

This exchange happens maybe 15 minutes into the movie. Surely you'd think this is pretty much the lowest a movie can sink, the most awful and pitiful a movie could have to offer. After watching this, I envy your naievity. I went partially based on reading reviews on this site stating it was good; reviews on this site are dead to me because I refuse to believe anyone but a paid schill would give this movie a positive review. I went partially based on seeing the Spike Jonze short movie "I'm Here" knowing he could make a touching movie. This was a complete disappointment on every level. This movie has dethroned The Blair Witch Project as the worst movie I've seen in theaters. Do not see this movie, it is simply the worst.

The characters are wooden and un-relatable, with the main character the worst of all. The dialog is as natural as a packing peanut, with robot girl constantly stating I AM HAVING FEELINGS, THERE AREN'T WORDS FOR ALL THESE FEELINGS I AM FEELING! The romance never suspends your disbelief and makes the Anakin-Padme romance seem like Shakespeare by comparison. The only emotions this movie inspires are pity and disgust. If you made a drinking game of take a shot every time the main character stares into space as though it's supposed to be meaningful, you would leave the theater beyond hammered. There was so much potential in this premise and every ounce of it wasted. DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE!
  96. Feb 2, 2014
    eh
    Not really much to say, a pretty bleh movie. Couldn't even finish it, gets a six because the concept was pretty interesting.
    filler filler filler
  97. Feb 2, 2014
    How refreshing: A beautiful film about the future brilliantly written, acted, and directed without a hint of politicism, cynicism, or irony. In a great year for film, Her comes out on top.
  98. Feb 1, 2014
    Love at first byte.
    Sorry about the awful pun. Don't even think the movie is as horrible.
    It is difficult for a movie to have an after taste of philosophical questioning leave you with a warm heart, but Her pulled it off like a pro. While having some issues with pacing in the third half the relationship between Joachim Phoenix's character Theodre and Samantha voiced by Scarlett
    Love at first byte.
    Sorry about the awful pun. Don't even think the movie is as horrible.

It is difficult for a movie to have an after taste of philosophical
    questioning leave you with a warm heart, but Her pulled it off like a
    pro. While having some issues with pacing in the third half the
    relationship between Joachim Phoenix's character Theodre and Samantha
    voiced by Scarlett Johansson was a spark that managed to warm my heart.
    Phoenix is an amazing example of a talented actor. In one film like
    "The Master" you feel strange and uncomfortable toward him while in
    "Her" you know that if you met his character you would just feel like
    hugging him. Theodore is warm, funny and organic. Scarlett Johansson in
    the other hand manages to charm the viewer and have great chemistry
    with the male protagonist just by using her voice. She is complex and
    interesting because if you didn't know, she is an A.I. The amazing
    thing is that you feel her actually being real and having emotions and
    sometimes the film purposely reminds you that she is artificial. You
    know Spike Jonze did a good job when your thoughts are carried forward
    intentionally by his project. When I said this movie warmed your heart
    I really meant it. Arcade Fire outdid themselves with the soundtrack
    and every time a song mixes itself with the beautiful photography you
    get those bittersweet knots on your throat. Speaking about photography,
    it is beautifully shot. Many shots here you just see and build a
    meaning for them. Surprisingly "Her" has a very smart sense of humor
    too. It is subtle and never feels over planned because it mixes in with
    plot so well.

In the end "Her", while not perfect, brings up many philosophical
    theories with its amazing and original writing, but at the same time
    plays with your feelings like no other romantic themed movie.

I give "Her" a 9/10.
  99. Feb 1, 2014
    The lead actor's performance (Joaquin Phoenix) was amazing. I loved the originality and awkwardness of the plot. The movie is shot beautifully. Sadly, as much as I loved the first half, during the second half the (by now predictable) plot started to drag on for too long. I can't help but feel like the movie could have been way better if it were cut shorter.
  100. Jan 31, 2014
    A wonderful, creative story completely spoiled in typical Hollywood fashion by gratuitous, completely unnecessary vulgar language and lewd sex scenes throughout designed no doubt to increase ticket sales to the 17 year old audience. Obviously, not too many older people are reviewing this movie. I've rarely seen so many people walk out in the middle of a movie to get their money back. SpikeA wonderful, creative story completely spoiled in typical Hollywood fashion by gratuitous, completely unnecessary vulgar language and lewd sex scenes throughout designed no doubt to increase ticket sales to the 17 year old audience. Obviously, not too many older people are reviewing this movie. I've rarely seen so many people walk out in the middle of a movie to get their money back. Spike Jones is obviously raking in millions to his personal fortune while infecting our youth with incredibly destructive values. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Feb 18, 2014
    I wished I liked it more. It is engagingly self-aware and excruciatingly self-conscious, wearing its hipness on its sleeve; it's ingenious and yet remarkably contrived. The film seems very new, but the sentimental ending is as old as the hills. There are some great moments.
  2. Reviewed by: Cath Clarke
    Feb 11, 2014
    Her is a keeper of a film, quietly dazzling.
  3. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Feb 10, 2014
    Jonze has made a sweet, smart, silly, serious film for our times, only set in the future.