Hercules

6.4

1. Aug 7, 2014
    Ancient Greece with the Rock...I thought he was tremendous in the Scorpion King and expected more of the same here. I wasn't expecting it match 300....which in my view is a classic..but it could have been a bit better than it was..then again it was clearly aimed at early teen audience who I'm sure loved it..but they are demanding with regards to CGI and that didn't always hit the mark..TwoAncient Greece with the Rock...I thought he was tremendous in the Scorpion King and expected more of the same here. I wasn't expecting it match 300....which in my view is a classic..but it could have been a bit better than it was..then again it was clearly aimed at early teen audience who I'm sure loved it..but they are demanding with regards to CGI and that didn't always hit the mark..Two of the characters for me didn't work..The yappy nephew and the mute sidekick.....The damsel in distress princess wasn't that memorable either..Overall though it was good fun...... Expand
  2. Oct 24, 2014
    Better than what I expected it to be but not by much. The CGI sucked hard and they could/should have been more loyal to the actual Hercules story aside from simply using the basis of it. Still, The acting was solid and The Rock was a great pick for the lead role. The action was alright but they often cut away from the actual blows, Which was incredibly annoying. Not bad to rent but that'sBetter than what I expected it to be but not by much. The CGI sucked hard and they could/should have been more loyal to the actual Hercules story aside from simply using the basis of it. Still, The acting was solid and The Rock was a great pick for the lead role. The action was alright but they often cut away from the actual blows, Which was incredibly annoying. Not bad to rent but that's about as much as I can say about it. Expand
  3. Aug 4, 2014
    The trailer is deceiving and looked way better than the actual film. The interesting parts from the trailer (Hercules fighting various mythical beasts) take up the first minute of the film. The rest is taken up by a horribly boring, predictable plot which doesn't even have any mythical elements to it.

The dialogue is cliche and cheesy. The characters are all stereotypes who don't get much development through the film. The action is painfully average, and there's a lot of poorly-done CGI. Giving Hercules a team instead of making him a solo hero (or at least, limiting it to 1 companion) is also a strange choice that I thought made the movie a lot worse. So was making Hercules into some mercenary type anti-hero guy - that just doesn't work for a mythological hero like Hercules.

Overall I'm highly disappointed. I didn't expect amazing writing, but at least I wanted to see some fun action with cool mythological references - maybe have a few Gods show up, mythical creatures, etc.
  4. Sep 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dwayne Johnson obviously prepared for this movie. He is fit for the role, even though still doing mediocre level of acting. But the trailer really looked awesome and successfully made me want to watch the whole film. But I think The Rock just involved in another bad movie. Most the stuff we all see in the trailer are actually the first bit of the whole movie (yep, those all fight scenes with giant lion or that creature in a lake). One to blame is Brett Ratner. The movie if full of bad dialogue and plot. Ratner also wasted several good actors there. Definitely not an epic mythological movie. Expand
  5. Feb 10, 2015
    I'm not sure what it is about Dwayne Johnson, but he always gets roles in movies that for the most part are great movies. The storyline may be a bit of a cookie cutter storyline but, it never fails to deliver and the psychological profiles of the cast offer several different types of the audience the opportunity to relate with at least one character in the movie and how they must overcomeI'm not sure what it is about Dwayne Johnson, but he always gets roles in movies that for the most part are great movies. The storyline may be a bit of a cookie cutter storyline but, it never fails to deliver and the psychological profiles of the cast offer several different types of the audience the opportunity to relate with at least one character in the movie and how they must overcome either their dark history or their impending future. Expand
  6. Oct 24, 2014
    This certainly isn't a faithful retelling of the myth, nor is it a clever new take on the character. It is cheesy, predictable, and the effects aren't terribly special. That being said, I actually enjoyed this 95 or so minutes of popcorn fluff, because that's all it ever pretends to be.
  7. Jul 18, 2015
    Hercules starring The Rock delivers exactly what you expect; plenty of action, lame dialogue, expensive production sets and weak characters. But as a popcorn flick, it is immensely enjoyable.
  8. Aug 10, 2014
    Wonderful action movie! Great seeing many of the charecters and monsters from Greek and roman mythology come "alive!" Lots of likable charecters, great storytelling of the tasks performed by Hercules, and an all around fun movie. Much better than the movie Lucy.
  9. Apr 30, 2015
    I don't know why my parents were so interested in this film. Myself having heard what a bad director Brett Ratner is, wanted to go see Luc Beeson's Lucy movie with ScarJo, I don't know why it didn't came as a second thought so I went to see it and was totally disgusted there was not even an entire plot and the final part was just plain ridiculous.

this is just another pathetic homage

this is just another pathetic homage to 300 like your typical aaron seltzer and jason friedberg parody, and worse than I Am Spartacus

odd acting decision from the Rock Johnson
  10. Jul 28, 2014
    I walked in expecting an ancient classic but I was severely disappointed. The story line is weak and short sighted and the cast of characters was very poorly cast. Many people in the movie shouldn't have been there and the story line is very dull and extremely fast paced. You don't have time to enjoy any scene for the proper amount of time. There are no innovative action scenes that makeI walked in expecting an ancient classic but I was severely disappointed. The story line is weak and short sighted and the cast of characters was very poorly cast. Many people in the movie shouldn't have been there and the story line is very dull and extremely fast paced. You don't have time to enjoy any scene for the proper amount of time. There are no innovative action scenes that make you really enjoy the imagery. The attitudes of people in the movie in regards to legends is such a turnoff for a movie like this. You walk in to see mythical stories and mythical imagery and instead you get lingo that sounds like it's from 2014 and people who disregard the legend of Hercules. "Literalists" have ruined a great mythical story and one of my favorites; Hercules. This movie seemed to be entirely made to disregard the legend of Hercules instead of telling a beautiful modern adaptation of the story which many people enjoy. I gave it a 3/10 because The Rock was a childhood favorite wrestler of mine. But other than that, this movie failed in every sense. Expand
  11. Jul 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is filled with moments where you think "I have seen this done better in ____."

The sword and sandal movies have started to rebirth after the popularity of shows like "Spartacus" and "Game of Thrones" and it's no surprise that screenwriters are turning to easy topics to turn into quick profit. Sadly "Hercules" falls into that category.

By no means is this movie BAD but it isn't an excuse to call it Good simply because it could be worse. I am completely on board with the whole realistic take on Hercules and having his deeds be what becomes the spoken legend of the man, but the movie have trouble deciding if Hercules is actually a demi-god or simply a really tough man.

We see him get hit by arrows, cut, stabbed, thrown, beaten, yet in the final confrontation, he has little to no signs of any physical pain. He hits his enemies over 20ft OFF their own horse and can kick a large wooden object a few yards at a high enough velocity to knock someone out.

This movie would've been amazing if they focused on his Trials and kept the realistic (non demi-god) aspect to it rather than a Braveheart meet Spartacus ripoff with a (predictable) twist of them turning against him.

I feel like they had an AMAZING cast choice with Dwayne Johnson, but if they would've stuck to a concept, and provided more of a story than Hercules overcoming a random army that he in turn trained, it could've been a memorable movie.

Story - 3
    Acting - 6
    CGI - 6
    Action - 7
    Rewatchable - 3
  12. Aug 6, 2014
    This movie is not about myth. No epic action as mentioned in other reviews, bad CGI, nothing really interesting. This movie literally does nothing to entertain you.
  13. Jul 26, 2014
    I'm simply not understanding how this movie is getting such bad reviews, I thought it was surprisingly awesome, Dwayne Johnson's best performance yet, and overall a nice more realistic spin on the story of Hercules with great action and decent story telling. By no means as bad as most are saying, a solid summer action flick.

Easily the best Hercules movie, far better than any 300 movie,

Easily the best Hercules movie, far better than any 300 movie, if this were the early 2000's or late 90's the critics would be raving, but now with such a jaded audience people hardly appreciate anything anymore, sad, def worth a viewing.
  14. Jul 26, 2014
    An epic, fun, summer movie. My whole family loved it. Reminds of the old Arnold Schwarzenegger movies of the 80's. If you loved the old Conan movies this should entertain you.
  15. Jul 28, 2014
    It's a really wonderful action movie and really get into the legend of the character. I don't get what others they want: an epic mythological movie must be really epic action, great beasts and powerful gods. And Hercules is probably the best of this
  16. Jul 27, 2014
    This movie has so much confusing parts. I really walked into that movie thinking im gonna see some gods maybe Hades maybe Cerberus NOPE!!!!! None of that at all its the rock with 5 stupid characters fighting some town because the rocks kids and wife die and hes dreaming stupid ass **** this movie should be in the list of a anticipated 2014 movie that sucked right along with godzilla....YUP!
  17. Jul 27, 2014
    The Rock plays a great action hero and does it again here. This won't win an Oscar, but if your looking for Hercules to flex his muscles and clobber anyone who gets in his way, you will get what you want. Two things would have made the movie better, more mythology and a strong villain, but I can't talk about that without spoiling the movie. I would love to see the Rock do either a 2The Rock plays a great action hero and does it again here. This won't win an Oscar, but if your looking for Hercules to flex his muscles and clobber anyone who gets in his way, you will get what you want. Two things would have made the movie better, more mythology and a strong villain, but I can't talk about that without spoiling the movie. I would love to see the Rock do either a 2 movie run or a trilogy with the 12 labors broken up into the films. Don't let the nay sayers dissuade you from going to this one. Expand
  18. Jul 28, 2014
    Completely enjoyable film with dashes of humor, a lot of action and a story that doesn't get bogged down. There are some "Huh?" moments, but they do not distract from the watching.
  19. Jul 31, 2014
    When the self proclaimed Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson graces the silver screen. in Brett Ratner's adaption of the Steve Moore comic, showcasing the titular character that is Hercules. I almost believed every second. Perhaps if not for the overly dramatic battle sequences, cornballish one liners, and some CGI heavy effects that could use some work. That being said, if not for Johnson andWhen the self proclaimed Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson graces the silver screen. in Brett Ratner's adaption of the Steve Moore comic, showcasing the titular character that is Hercules. I almost believed every second. Perhaps if not for the overly dramatic battle sequences, cornballish one liners, and some CGI heavy effects that could use some work. That being said, if not for Johnson and Ratner, we probably would be looking at a far worse version of the Kellan Lutz driven vehicle that opened back in January.

Johnson is the lion-sheep head wearing mercenary in full forced-a hired gun, but also a tabloid of the gods. The answer is that is he human? or god? He travels in style with the realm of a C.S Lewis novel at his side. (Yes, this was a reference to Narnia). Lured by riches, and seeking revenge for the unspecified death of his family.

At the film's best it reminded me of Zack Snyder's 300, while of course THIS film is rated PG13, so the blood spewing will be put to a minimum and Johnson who has brought life to many franchises including; "GI Joe" and "Fast and Furious". Is right in the typical macho wheelhouse he is normally accustomed too. When the big ferocious muscle induced hero is fighting the bad guys it all feels right. Brett Ratner (Rush Hour films) knows how to shoot some inept stylized action sequences, which I was engulfed entirely. However after the second battle (Which clocks in at about ten minutes) I was feeling a little fatigued.

Then, when the somewhat predictable finale the film follows--they expect the audience to be shocked as if we didn't see this coming. Most fans will bypass this flaw, I just kind of shrugged my shoulders and accepted it. The best scenes are the one's when Hercules has too ask himself who he is, and what he is there for. You probably saw this in the trailer "I AM HERCULES!!!!!" he shouts to the screen. Somehow during that scene my heart was beating pretty profusely. So, to some extent, the film had an effect on me.

The latest adaptation of "Hercules" was much better then it probably could have been (this is not saying much). I can almost guarantee that it will wash the tireless taste out of the forsaken "Legend Of Hercules" out of your mouth. I did actually enjoy the film when it all boils down. Probably because there is just enough plot to inch the film along, and more than enough battle escapades to at least distract me from the much bigger picture, which is probably a horrible film.

B-

Studio: Paramount Pictures
    Release Date: July 25th 2014

Thanks For Stopping By ®
  20. Jul 28, 2014
    A fun movie that entertains. Ian McShane has a few good lines in it. The Rock does a good job in making Hercules heroic and fun. Not a movie to be taken too seriously
  21. Jul 29, 2014
    If you enjoyed shows like Hercules and Xena, this movie is for you. Excellent battle sequences, great script, fantastic actors (Ingrid Berdal as Atalanta was brilliant)-- the epitome of a great comic book and adventure film. The movie follows the Thrace comics and strips down the Herc myth to make all the characters enjoyable and accessible. Saw it twice, and enjoyed it even more the second time.
  22. Aug 6, 2014
    A decent movie with a very misleading trailer. I thought this movie would be about Hercules growing up and fighting all these mythological beast but all the scenes with those creatures don't actually happen. They are just stories that people in the movie have heard about him so we don't actually get to see those fights. In this movie Hercules is just a mercenary not a demigod. The storyA decent movie with a very misleading trailer. I thought this movie would be about Hercules growing up and fighting all these mythological beast but all the scenes with those creatures don't actually happen. They are just stories that people in the movie have heard about him so we don't actually get to see those fights. In this movie Hercules is just a mercenary not a demigod. The story isn't anything special but it does throw you a few twist that keep you interested. The action is pretty intense although it would have been nice to have seen more of Hercules himself fighting. The great movie based of Greek mythology has yet to be made but this is up there with the best of that genre. Expand
  23. Aug 13, 2014
    I was pleasantly surprised by this films. I must say though that the advertising was very misleading, it shows in the ads that the movie is mythical and full of CGI monsters, but aside from a few very short moments this isn't the case at all. This film shows a more realistic look at legends and how they are and were probably spread. This to me was a pleasant surprise and featured a veryI was pleasantly surprised by this films. I must say though that the advertising was very misleading, it shows in the ads that the movie is mythical and full of CGI monsters, but aside from a few very short moments this isn't the case at all. This film shows a more realistic look at legends and how they are and were probably spread. This to me was a pleasant surprise and featured a very fun supporting cast and a nice original look at the legend of Hercules. Regardless from the ending which contradicted the more original plot of the movie i enjoyed this movie and would suggest it to anyone looking for a fun action flick. Expand
  24. Aug 24, 2014
    Overall, even though it starred one of the best entertainers and stars in the business right now, Hercules is definitely one of 2014’s surprises. Yeah, it was a Hercules driven story, but it my eyes it was a completely different take that was so (using that word again) refreshing to see. I thought the characters were so fun to watch as they all made their journey’s as mercenaries. AlongOverall, even though it starred one of the best entertainers and stars in the business right now, Hercules is definitely one of 2014’s surprises. Yeah, it was a Hercules driven story, but it my eyes it was a completely different take that was so (using that word again) refreshing to see. I thought the characters were so fun to watch as they all made their journey’s as mercenaries. Along their journey included some fights and battles, which like I said, were so entertaining from start to finish. A story, characters, and badass action that in my opinion shouldn’t be missed. I mean, who wouldn’t want to see The Rock as Hercules throw over a freaking horse?!

Rating: 7.5/10
  25. Aug 3, 2014
    I just took my 13 year old nephew to see this film last night and as soon as I left the theater I was trying to figure out if I liked the movie or not. In this review and others to come, I will always say that the movie lives and dies with the villain. Sometimes the villain can carry a movie to greatness, and sometimes it can hinder the movies progress. This was one of the latter times.I just took my 13 year old nephew to see this film last night and as soon as I left the theater I was trying to figure out if I liked the movie or not. In this review and others to come, I will always say that the movie lives and dies with the villain. Sometimes the villain can carry a movie to greatness, and sometimes it can hinder the movies progress. This was one of the latter times. First off, when we left the theater, my nephew asked me if I liked it and I told him I was unsure because I loved the supporting cast and the Rock is always fun to see on screen, but I didn't like the villain all that much. His reply sealed it for me when he said...who was the villain.

As I said, I thought the cast that supported the demigod was great. Rufus Sewell and Ian McShane added much of the needed comic relief, but Aksel Hennie's berserker was a little too much for me. Over all, the cast was the strongest part of this film aside from Dwayne himself.

In movies like this when we don't get to see the growth of the villain, it does a great disservice to the audience. I get why we didn't with the "saw that one coming" twist mid way through, but still, it just didn't work in this film. And what made me the most upset was towards the end, I felt that I was being manipulated, almost forced into hating the villain as he was saying things that would make anyone wanna pop him one. I want to hate the villain on my own terms, I want to come to the end of the film and feel vindicated or saddened at the death of he or she...but here...I couldn't have cared less what happened to him.

This one is worth a rent, but no need to rush to your local theater to catch it on the big screen. Thanks to the supporting cast and the performance of the Rock, this guy dead lifts an almost 7, but ends up with a 6.

- James Von Doom
  26. Aug 30, 2014
    I'm a fan of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson so I loved the movie. Pure spectacle, good special effects. You'll have a good time. Worth paying for the movie.
  27. Aug 26, 2014
    One or 2 good battle scenes which I always like. Little else to say that's positive. Really didn't like this movie. Wasn't convinced by it at all. Story line is quite bad and doesn't make any historical or mythical sense. I really like the main actor Dwayne Johnson. Was hoping for much better! Wish I had read the reviews before hand. The film makes no cultural sense either. The charactersOne or 2 good battle scenes which I always like. Little else to say that's positive. Really didn't like this movie. Wasn't convinced by it at all. Story line is quite bad and doesn't make any historical or mythical sense. I really like the main actor Dwayne Johnson. Was hoping for much better! Wish I had read the reviews before hand. The film makes no cultural sense either. The characters and scenes are more like Xena Warrior Princess rather than approaching anything close to real. Very tacky and make believe! Expand
  28. Jul 25, 2014
    Dwayne Johnson plays the mythical muscleman, but in this case he's just a mighty mortal with good PR. He heads a small band of mercenaries who are hired to quell a war in ancient Greece. This is basically a by-the-numbers action flick (Brett Ratner directed after all) with lots of passable combat…no magic and no Greek gods. There's nothing original or special about the script or theDwayne Johnson plays the mythical muscleman, but in this case he's just a mighty mortal with good PR. He heads a small band of mercenaries who are hired to quell a war in ancient Greece. This is basically a by-the-numbers action flick (Brett Ratner directed after all) with lots of passable combat…no magic and no Greek gods. There's nothing original or special about the script or the skirmishes, but it doesn't suck. Expand
  29. Jul 28, 2014
    I will admit, I went into this movie expecting something different, the trailers are a little deceiving. While it's different from the trailers, it's still an awesome movie. I saw it in IMax non 3D, this movie has lots of great action, and even has a little humor. If there was ever someone that was made to play Hercules it's Dwayne johnson, It made me really want to see more movies likeI will admit, I went into this movie expecting something different, the trailers are a little deceiving. While it's different from the trailers, it's still an awesome movie. I saw it in IMax non 3D, this movie has lots of great action, and even has a little humor. If there was ever someone that was made to play Hercules it's Dwayne johnson, It made me really want to see more movies like this with him in it. His impressive build gives life to the character and you really believe his strength. Go see the movie, don't listen to all the people hating on it. Expand
  30. Jul 25, 2014
    Look, going into a film directed by Ratner and starring The Rock as Hercules shouldn't put expectations too high, yet I was still expecting more than this. The story is lacking, the special effects aren't that special and the characters range from underdeveloped to just plain boring (with the performances either bring hammy or awkward, especially a shrieking princess and her cockney-accentLook, going into a film directed by Ratner and starring The Rock as Hercules shouldn't put expectations too high, yet I was still expecting more than this. The story is lacking, the special effects aren't that special and the characters range from underdeveloped to just plain boring (with the performances either bring hammy or awkward, especially a shrieking princess and her cockney-accent son). There's just much more brawn than brain here, and despite one fun action sequence, it was just too big a Herculean task for Jonnson to pull off [pats self on back]. Expand
  31. Jul 28, 2014
    This movie is pure epicness. It show the true power of ancient mythology and brought into cinema. For anyone who dreams of a gof of war movie, here it is. And Dwayne is a great entertainer
  32. Jul 25, 2014
    Whilst Hercules does impress on a technical level - its bland storyline, poor acting, disjointed plot and overlong action sequences only helps strengthen the sour taste from previous cinematic entries of the title character.
  33. Jul 25, 2014
    It all starts so promisingly with remembered stories of some of the famed labours of our eponymous hero. However, after a quick introduction to the man god's background and a whiplash bout of special effects this settles into a training exercise for two rather un excitingly staged battles. Further damage is inflicted by a script that insists on having both Rufus Sewell (who is rather badIt all starts so promisingly with remembered stories of some of the famed labours of our eponymous hero. However, after a quick introduction to the man god's background and a whiplash bout of special effects this settles into a training exercise for two rather un excitingly staged battles. Further damage is inflicted by a script that insists on having both Rufus Sewell (who is rather bad actually) and Ian McShane spew forth a lot of unnecessarily sardonic humour. Things do liven up somewhat when the villains are unmasked and Hercules gets to perform his last labour. Overall though, aside from having superior visuals, this is not really any better than the year's earlier sword and sandals opus 'The Legend of Hercules'.

At the end of this mercifully short epic Ian McShane proclaims ( In a sly dig?) 'The truth about Hercules, I prefer it to the Legend'. I say on this evidence we don't need either of them. Perhaps the film we are waiting for is the one that presents us with those 12 labours. Now that may be worth contemplating.
  34. Jul 28, 2014
    Now this is what a comic book movie is suppose to look like: totally like the comics, with epic scenes, best CGI, action scenes that gives goosepumps, solid actors and extraordinary heroes. Hercules could solo the entire Avengers franchise.
  35. Jul 25, 2014
    Surprisingly good. Dialog could use some work, but great action scenes and comedy. It knows what it's going for, and hits the spot. Taken as it is, not what you thought it would be, it's a past halfway decent movie.
  36. Jul 30, 2014
    Fun, enjoyable, to the point and also among the more believable plots of the summer (seriously, it makes sense once you watch the whole thing). The special fx suffer towards the very end but visually it's solid otherwise. Dialogue is kept simple and the plot twist is again (surprisingly) believable. The supporting cast add to the fun and the rock embodies the conflictedFun, enjoyable, to the point and also among the more believable plots of the summer (seriously, it makes sense once you watch the whole thing). The special fx suffer towards the very end but visually it's solid otherwise. Dialogue is kept simple and the plot twist is again (surprisingly) believable. The supporting cast add to the fun and the rock embodies the conflicted hero/legend/mercenary character pretty well.
    Went for the action, wasn't dissappointed- would have liked to see the supporting cast fleshed out but that would extend the running time so maybe it was a marketing decision.
    Hopefully international box office sales warrant a sequel. I fear too many people won't give this a chance because of the Brett Ratner tag in the United States.

All in all it's a simple , fun and to the point movie without any needless abuse of sexuality or unbelievable plot holes (not glaring ones anyway). Go support the Rock if you're his fan too!
  37. Aug 2, 2014
    Lighthearted action popcorn movie made to appease the professional wrestling fans as they make a mockery of the legendary Greek God Hercules. How The Rock manages to keep a straight face in this laughable lame script is beyond me. A nice way for the teenage boys to spend a rainy afternoon. The shame of it is The Rock is really not a bad actor and deserves a script better than what he isLighthearted action popcorn movie made to appease the professional wrestling fans as they make a mockery of the legendary Greek God Hercules. How The Rock manages to keep a straight face in this laughable lame script is beyond me. A nice way for the teenage boys to spend a rainy afternoon. The shame of it is The Rock is really not a bad actor and deserves a script better than what he is given to work with. At least he got a paycheck. Expand
  38. Nov 9, 2014
    A solid action flick that succeeds thanks to just how likable it's star is, as well as some nice supporting characters and solid violence. Yes Johnson is very likable as the legendary Hercules. He and the humor help save what otherwise would have been too cheesy of a movie to recommend.

There are still plenty of dumb parts, a couple of elements that were included to be cool instead come off as unintentional comedy, and the plot takes some predictable turns. However it is all still an entertaining ride that has some surprisingly bloody action as well as a unique take on the story. It might not succeed as a epic fantasy movie, but it still proves enjoyable enough to be worth a watch. My total score for the film is a 7.8/10.
  39. Aug 3, 2014
    Definitely not a bad movie. But overall I really feel it was a big missed opportunity because of what people typically think of when we see "Hercules". I wished the plot would have been more focused on mythical creatures and superhuman strength and greek gods. That being said I do like Dwayne Johnson and thought he did a good job here with great action scenes... just a uninspired story.Definitely not a bad movie. But overall I really feel it was a big missed opportunity because of what people typically think of when we see "Hercules". I wished the plot would have been more focused on mythical creatures and superhuman strength and greek gods. That being said I do like Dwayne Johnson and thought he did a good job here with great action scenes... just a uninspired story. Overall was hoping the movie would be more epic. Expand
  40. Nov 9, 2014
    You know what I really enjoyed this film, I went in expecting to see the rock punching stuff and being awesome, and that is exactly what I got. Does the plot have holes? yes. Is it at times predictable? yes. Is it the most fun a blockbuster has been in a while? yes.
  41. Aug 9, 2014
    I went to watch this on big screen with a thought "this will be just another same old typical hercules movies". Myth and Zeus are coming together, but it wasn't. In fact, it's the other way around. No Zeus and no demi god, hercules is a mercenary. Nevertheless, i still find this movie pretty good and has a nice storyline. Battle scenes are great too. It still worth my $$.
  42. Nov 13, 2014
    i didnt understand the bad rating....really only 47....my god there a lot of films that have deserved a rate of 47 but they become a rate of 90!!!This film has´nt earned this rate. I find this film great! Dwayne johnson played very well in this film! Good sound top animation.....I think the critics are not serious and you should not take them seriously...This movie has everything youi didnt understand the bad rating....really only 47....my god there a lot of films that have deserved a rate of 47 but they become a rate of 90!!!This film has´nt earned this rate. I find this film great! Dwayne johnson played very well in this film! Good sound top animation.....I think the critics are not serious and you should not take them seriously...This movie has everything you could possibly imagine. Action voltage with a portion of humor .... just awesome!!!! Expand
  43. Sep 14, 2014
    I think the movie is ok for guys just looking for some action and funny moments. Even the story is ok and entertaining. The movie tells the hercules story in a new way. I went into this movie in a 3D theater and the 3D-Effects where really good, the whole movie was in 3D, not just some scenes, like seen in some other 3D movies. This is a solid action Movie. Probably you will forget itI think the movie is ok for guys just looking for some action and funny moments. Even the story is ok and entertaining. The movie tells the hercules story in a new way. I went into this movie in a 3D theater and the 3D-Effects where really good, the whole movie was in 3D, not just some scenes, like seen in some other 3D movies. This is a solid action Movie. Probably you will forget it rather fast, its not a movie you watch multiple times, but you will get entertained for once. Expand
  44. Oct 28, 2014
    Any movie with Dwayne Johnson will be good, even if the script does suck (which in this case it doesn't). The only thing I kinda didn't like was the part of him growing up, it all happened in a flash and we were thrown right into it. Nevertheless it's a action movie and it sure brings you a lot of action. The ending was not as expected so one might assume there will be a sequel.
  45. Aug 4, 2014
    Just when I think modern mainstream blockbusters have definitely run their course for me, along comes a movie to prove me wrong. Blends old-school storytelling and new-school pizzazz with an assurance which Peter Jackson couldn't quite pull off, and provides yet yet another argument why all decent, film-loving folk should gather in a public square to watch Michael Bay drawn-and-quarteredJust when I think modern mainstream blockbusters have definitely run their course for me, along comes a movie to prove me wrong. Blends old-school storytelling and new-school pizzazz with an assurance which Peter Jackson couldn't quite pull off, and provides yet yet another argument why all decent, film-loving folk should gather in a public square to watch Michael Bay drawn-and-quartered or burned to a crisp on a flaming cross. Not sure I care that much for Brett Ratner's back catalogue, but he's certainly proved himself worthy with this one. As does the ever-charismatic Dwayne Johnson (who has all the charm of the pre-public-boob-fondling Schwarzeneggar, plus some genuine acting talent), and as for John Hurt...well, he has nothing to prove to any of us, hasn't for decades, but it's always wonderful to see him in a major role in a major Hollywood blockbuster every once in a while (and nice to see he's not dead yet, for that matter).

In all seriousness, this is a rival for the best sword-and-sandal fantasy movie since the John Milius version of Conan. Okay, so it's not quite as good as THAT spectacularly underrated piece of cinematic history...but it's pretty bloody good. And as always, endearing to see that the official "critic" community have proven themselves to be a bunch of joyless so-and-so's with absolutely NO sense of fun or adventure. No Oscars for this movie, then, bar perhaps some condescending acknowledgement of the admittedly spectacular CGI effects. Sigh...
  46. Mar 10, 2015
    The message from the movie story was really good.
    People who likes it might really believe myth is not real.
    People who hates it might also still accept if myth is never real, like me.
    The first thought in my head while I finally in the middle of the film was I'm trapped.
    I watched the movie for my good friend.
    I couldn't believe I watch this kind of movie on cinema.
  47. Aug 23, 2014
    I really liked this movie. Characters are O.K, storyline is old-fashioned and everything else is placed good.
    Characters are detailed in the way I like. Good acting (voice acting too). The Rock rocked this movie! Storyline is like the old one and a lot more. I enjoyed watching this 3D and relaxing.
  48. Sep 19, 2014
    One of the best mythic films ever. It's strong, funny, intelligent (yes really) and beautiful in sets and costume.
    Unfortunately many critics wanted a simple epic romp so they were disappointed. But if you want a more thoughtful take on how myths are created, see this. A gorgeous hero, and very good secondaries.
  49. Oct 24, 2014
    Painfully average in every way... The story, dialogues, acting, soundtrack, all of it is incredibly plain and boring. The cheesiness and stupidity of some scenes made me cringe several times during the projection. The movie has some of the most ridiculous and laughable battle scenes I´ve ever seen, 5 years old child could come up with better choreography and strategies. What I will say isPainfully average in every way... The story, dialogues, acting, soundtrack, all of it is incredibly plain and boring. The cheesiness and stupidity of some scenes made me cringe several times during the projection. The movie has some of the most ridiculous and laughable battle scenes I´ve ever seen, 5 years old child could come up with better choreography and strategies. What I will say is that Dwayne is as Hercules believable but thats pretty much it. Dont waste your time and watch the trailer instead. All the good scenes are in it and it has better music and even story :D Expand
  50. Sep 7, 2014
    I went to the movie with a little bit of hope that this movie would be good, but when the film ended, my first thought was: Why I payed to see this s***?. But i have to say that the director was very courageous to show a different Hercules and to make a huge movie set, but then when you watch the movie you see that the this like another adventure movie you already watched, because it isI went to the movie with a little bit of hope that this movie would be good, but when the film ended, my first thought was: Why I payed to see this s***?. But i have to say that the director was very courageous to show a different Hercules and to make a huge movie set, but then when you watch the movie you see that the this like another adventure movie you already watched, because it is predictable and boring movie. And I almost forget do I have to mention the visual effects? Expand
  51. Sep 4, 2014
    Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson certainly has flair for on-screen presence, he embodies the character with amazing physique and intense commitment, but sadly the script material is drab and uninteresting, one that’s inferior to TV show, the likes of Spartacus or Rome. It attempts to humanize Hercules, presenting the man behind the legend, which is quite admirable compared to other grandioseDwayne "The Rock" Johnson certainly has flair for on-screen presence, he embodies the character with amazing physique and intense commitment, but sadly the script material is drab and uninteresting, one that’s inferior to TV show, the likes of Spartacus or Rome. It attempts to humanize Hercules, presenting the man behind the legend, which is quite admirable compared to other grandiose renditions that share the same title or action movies in general that depict superhuman characters. Unfortunately, the plot is highly predictable and aside a few decent skirmishes, it doesn't offer anything notable.

The story portrays Hercules as a mercenary, although his previous acts and original are usually shrouded by excessive storytelling, which serendipitously benefits him. Along the way it delves deeper on the titular personality, shedding bits of mythical tales to reveal the actual man. This concept is sound, although neither pacing nor screenplay manages to reach that level of accomplishment. In short, it's rather boring. There are far too many similar elements from other adventure movies, even from Johnson's own Scorpion King from last decade, and it's not presented in better fashion. Humor and banter rarely hit the mark, thus making the story build up from first acts stagnant.

Johnson as the star is an imposing figure, often instilling larger than life persona. How he succeeds in pulling off the worthy Hercules look is half the movie already, and to his credit, Johnson has the heart aside from the brawn. The rest of the cast are fine addition, Hercules' ragtag band of mercenary fits the bill, while John Hurt and Ralph Fiennes round up as the kings. Unfortunately, there's little engaging interaction and what transpire is pretty straightforward. Scenes flow with barely any momentum, they are very slow and plagued by average stereotypical situation.

Action does happen, even if some spark of brilliance is only sighted for few brief moments. Although scale isn't as big and choreography is average, the battles are still serviceable. Use of CG, and 3D for that matter, is a bit underwhelming. For the beasts are apparently artificial, and as far as debris go, throwing them into audience's eyes is far too outdated underhanded tactic. The movie does take advantage of the mature rating to deliver more visceral combat, it may not be complex, but it has impacts for most part.

The intention of displaying more human side of Hercules is noble, however with such thin content, the movie is hardly equipped for such profound task. Dwayne Johnson could probably give more to the role, but he is definitely an appealing personality suited to be Hercules. Sadly, there's not much else to the movie.
  52. Feb 23, 2015
    Brett Ratner's Hercules film struggles with a bit of an identity crisis. On the one hand, I really like what Ratner tried to do in making the myth and lore of Hercules just that; myth and lore. He made the character simply a fantastic warrior and eventual mercenary who, along with the help of his comrades, played into the living legend in order to acquire jobs and terrify his enemies. IBrett Ratner's Hercules film struggles with a bit of an identity crisis. On the one hand, I really like what Ratner tried to do in making the myth and lore of Hercules just that; myth and lore. He made the character simply a fantastic warrior and eventual mercenary who, along with the help of his comrades, played into the living legend in order to acquire jobs and terrify his enemies. I mean, who would want to go toe-to-toe with the mighty Hercules? The problem with the film is that Ratner doesn't leave the fantastical at the door as he should've. On the one hand, he portrays Hercules as a mortal and mocks the existence of hydra, centaurs, and cerberus. On the other hand he includes a psychic who can see visions of the future and he has Dwayne Johnson's Hercules perform superhuman feats that no mere mortal could do. Many of the action and battles sequences also fail here, with Hercules leveling many a foe with a single swing of his club. This identity crisis doesn't ruin the viewing experience completely but it does hinder the film's ability to create serious drama or intrigue. This film ultimately feels a bit shallow and the underutilization of Irina Shayk might be the biggest disappointment of the entire movie. She seemed to get half of the screen time in the trailers but gets maybe 30 seconds of screen time in the actual film. That's called poor representation. Overall, it's a decent watch and one of the better live action Hercules films I've seen but it fails to live up to its potential, largely due to poor direction. Expand
  53. Aug 11, 2015
    Very average movie, not the Hercules story you are probably familiar with. Hercules is by all purposes a mercenary working with other mercenaries. The Story is focused on one small war between two kingdoms. Nothing epic. The action is very predictable other than one plot twist near the end of the movie.
  54. Sep 6, 2014
    I think this film is good at the beginning with great effect, but I were very disapointed at the the very end because it hasn't awesome or "wow" ending. I expected more than that. But from the story side, I think it good enough and well done for the director to make the Hercules story new and different than the other Hercules movie.
  55. Aug 10, 2014
    Has Brett Ratner lwarned from directing comic book films? Well,not really. While the film as a whole isn't really awesomerific. But the fight scenes were fantastic. The scenes leadomg up to them had me excited amd prepared. But other than that I had a hard time feeling bad for Hercule's family as I never got to really know them. And when they died I just said myself "Okay?". And some theHas Brett Ratner lwarned from directing comic book films? Well,not really. While the film as a whole isn't really awesomerific. But the fight scenes were fantastic. The scenes leadomg up to them had me excited amd prepared. But other than that I had a hard time feeling bad for Hercule's family as I never got to really know them. And when they died I just said myself "Okay?". And some the characters I knew nothing about. Like the female with the bow and arrow. I could not describe. Some of the running gags were used a little to mich. And some scenes I knew what was going to happen so I wasn't really suprised about anything. But if you want to see just some action then definately watch this film Expand
  56. Nov 7, 2014
    It's a fun movie. It doesn't aim especially high. It's not spectacular in any sense of the word, but it accomplishes what it sets out to do sufficiently well. The fights and battles are fun, and involving, and The Rock was a solid choice to play Hercules. It doesn't take itself especially seriously, which helps since it's not aiming for awards level filmmaking. That's not to say thatIt's a fun movie. It doesn't aim especially high. It's not spectacular in any sense of the word, but it accomplishes what it sets out to do sufficiently well. The fights and battles are fun, and involving, and The Rock was a solid choice to play Hercules. It doesn't take itself especially seriously, which helps since it's not aiming for awards level filmmaking. That's not to say that it's cheesy. The effects and action are all solid. It just isn't really a piece of grade A craftsmanship. Still though, it's fun, and if you're in the mood for a solid action adventure, it's worth a look. Expand
  57. May 2, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok now hold on to get something straight to begin with. This got a better score than 300: Rise of an Empire from viewers?
    300:RoaE 6.1 viewer score, this here is 6.6...
    And from critics almost the same score? At 47 for this and 48 for 300:RoaE? Are people retarded? Or are they THAT biased with Zack Snyder hate wagons?

Now off to the review.

For starters this film was so predictable, to say the least. Yes, we could see that the friend of Hercules would return by the end. It was so obvious by that point with the entire childish approach to the entire film. We could tell the soothsayer would obviously survive, and we knew the good guys would become the bad, especially when the confrontation of the final army was done so soon. We also knew the only person that would probably die, is the guy that doesn't talk at all, and also saw it coming a mile away, his last breath being in fact, a word, and that word being "Hercules".

And yes, we also saw the nephew saving Hercules coming a gazillion miles away again. Could they slap you in the face any harder with all the constant mindless hints? It would be ok, if this was a kids-flick, but then they dumbed down the coolest part that a child would like to see, that being the Mythological side of things (I head into that later on).

It had a childish comic feel all over it. Some comedy relief which was average, at times it got me to giggle which was not bad, and most of the time it simply made my brain feel numb.

Some of the concepts are a stretch, for example, the initial fight and how much the "good" army sucks is simply too much to believe. This is a good point to also observe some of the worst ever blue screens created.

It tries so hard to copy 300, palettes and even the way Hercules talks, but fails. Even the credits are a rip-off from the 300 credits. Now this could all be seen as a good thing as well. It is not wrong to be inspired by another film and follow in it's steps. But to deliver poorly (by comparison that is) to that aspiration, with evident drops in quality, immediate dumbing down and immature/childish themes and predictable plots? And yet still get a score almost as good as 300 and better than 300:roae, especially when it came out some months after the later meaning one cannot say they hadn't seen this before? How fkng biased and retarded is this stupid world I live in?

The best part about the film was the Rock (Dwayne Johnson) but even he at times looked like a mongol invader. At times. Sometimes he looked simply cool as Hercules. The dumbing down of the plot however cannot help anyone take this film seriously.

Which, evidently, it is not a film to take seriously, so why the hell are they taking a serious or "Scientological" approach to the story of Hercules? The other good parts about the film in other words (the lion, Cerberus, Hydra) are all downplayed ultimately passed on as "stories" and "lies" about a hero.

In a childish film? What are you doing? These are meant to be mythological characters and that is their point, the myth. For such a childish film you simply just took out the only "cool" elements of the film a child could connect to, with nods to older audiences even though the film at this point can be hardly enjoyed as a mediocre result by both target markets.

How about Hollywood goes and fks themselves in the a$$ a little harder next time? These are meant to be myths. Enough with all this crap of completely erasing myths just for the sake of your retarded **** for brains you carry around. So we are meant to be ok with Hulk, a man turning into a green monster, and Thor, and all that other bs for the equivalent "US Myths" and we simply piss all over Myths from other countries to downplay them?

Again, how about hollywood fks itself in the a$$. Just an idea.

Visuals- 6/10
    Acting- 6/10
    Plot- 5/10
    Plot Twists- 2/10
    Theme/Morals- 1/10
    Keeping true to original material- 0/10
    Being original period (and not a tortured 300 copy)- 2/10
    Props and settings- 7/10
    This adds to a 3.5 average score, and I am TRYING to find good things about this film.

This film was simply abysmal. It was ok for a silly afternoon watch to look at and perhaps giggle a little or waste some time. Unfortunately some of us don't have much time to waste.

For one not giving a sh!t about content quality and they just want to see a TV series equivalent of a film some afternoon and have a small laugh, this grade B action flick is ok for one viewing. The rest, steer clear of this steaming pile of sh!t
  58. Oct 24, 2014
    No, just no. Nobody wants to see this silly story of the "real" Hercules. The reason why Greek Mythology has been so famous and popular for hundreds of years is because of how interesting and exciting the stories are. This movie on the other hand is boring and predictable. I have seen many low and high budget Hercules movies and this one might just be the worst one of them all. EspeciallyNo, just no. Nobody wants to see this silly story of the "real" Hercules. The reason why Greek Mythology has been so famous and popular for hundreds of years is because of how interesting and exciting the stories are. This movie on the other hand is boring and predictable. I have seen many low and high budget Hercules movies and this one might just be the worst one of them all. Especially considering it's 100 million dollar budget. Expand
  59. Jun 12, 2015
    El enfoque de hacer realistas los mitos y leyendas griegas nos entrega esta versión ordinaria del hijo de Zeus, cumple con entretener, como todas las películas de la Roca.
  60. Dec 12, 2014
    This is not a historical as i expected, its just an excuse for an action film, the writers did little research, just enough to rip off the legend. They made the whole story up and ignored all the legend that is Hercules. The dates are ALL wrong according to these jokers Hercules lived about 50 year before Alexander, Maybe the dunce writers should have paired them up for a few scenes. TheyThis is not a historical as i expected, its just an excuse for an action film, the writers did little research, just enough to rip off the legend. They made the whole story up and ignored all the legend that is Hercules. The dates are ALL wrong according to these jokers Hercules lived about 50 year before Alexander, Maybe the dunce writers should have paired them up for a few scenes. They even put a king in Athens at the time when Athens was a democracy. The is film set 1300 + year into the future from the the actual time of the legend of Hercules.

Don't expect much and you will not be disappointed. Poor excuse for a Hercules film. Very poor. 2/10 score.
  61. Oct 4, 2014
    Hercules it's just a normal movie, it's not a horrible movie or a amazing movie, there are some good humor scenes, and action scenes but nothing innovative, the plot is superficial, the actors are not so good...But if you just want to see the action, it's a good option.
  62. Jan 8, 2016
    Hercules is clearly aimed at a younger audience and succeeds in that department. Decent action, predictable characters, good special effects. Grab your popcorn!
  63. PHJ
    Sep 9, 2014
    Hercules is based on ups and downs, maybe more downs than ups, unfortunately. Dwayne Johnson played a medium acting, as usual from him, a huge and strong man, but always without the deep focus in the character that you always want from him.

Hercules is based on the generic story, so if you're going to the movies to watch the mythological well telled, you're going to the wrong movie. Hercules is much more about action than story, the ups of the movie are in some details that could be less focused, like the army formation for an example, they could focus that much effort in other aspects of the movie, like going deeper in the myth story, or in the 12 jobs, but no.

Meanwhile the action scenes are at least exciting, Hercules isn't portrayed like an super powerful character, but as a strong and tactical army leader, which's nice and more realistic, he's portrayed as a pirate to, which is a detail that should be added in a more historical-focused movie, not in Brett Ratner's Hercules, so that confuses you a little bit about the focus of the movie. Brett Ratner was afraid of producing a fiction movie more than a historical movie, which is a smart move from him, but I just think that in that case, if he was trying to portray the mythological world, some fiction would just make it more realistic.

My conclusion is that Hercules is the typical blockbuster, a movie about a rich mythological character more focused in action than story-telling, meanwhile the scenaries, character construction and action scenes are nice, it is a 60 out 100 movie.
  64. Aug 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hercules (Dwayne Johnson) starts out with the titular character as a mercenary after being exiled and working with a band of outcast warriors(working to further his mythos/legend to treat effect) , flashbacks reminds him of a very grisly end to his wife and children by seemingly some three headed wolf/creature , which is easily the poorest cgi in the whole film, we see Hercules nephew about to be executed in the first full scene , while he is telling stories of the famous 12 labors/trials Hercules had to complete (these flashbacks show some of the coolest cgi with him killing a massive Lion aka his headdress and a Boar and a sea monster), also that it's alluded to that he is the son of Zeus the Greek God , which in turn makes him a Demi-God. After saving his battle challenged nephew he moves on to the next big payday , reluctantly becoming a mercenaries for the King of Thrace (John Hurt) he fights for the King and builds an impressive army of mere farmers, but later realizes he's fighting for the wrong side (there are many flashbacks of his guilt over his families deaths) this movie works on most levels , and tells a very good story on falling from grace, revenge , and redemption, too bad we can't say the same for all the other merry men, but this is easily better than the turd that was released under the name Hercules earlier this year. This is a great summer popcorn flick that will be having you shouting "I AM HERCULES" ! Two huge thumbs up !

Melwheezy
  65. Jan 8, 2015
    This movie is okay, the action put the popcorn in my mouth instead of "going" to see this movie in theatres i wanted to see Guardians of the galaxy. Dwayne the rock johnson is good at playing Hercules he's bad ass, Director of X-Men: The Last Stand Ratner does anything that a director does in warrior film add a lot slow motion to make Hercules better or any other characters better.This movie is okay, the action put the popcorn in my mouth instead of "going" to see this movie in theatres i wanted to see Guardians of the galaxy. Dwayne the rock johnson is good at playing Hercules he's bad ass, Director of X-Men: The Last Stand Ratner does anything that a director does in warrior film add a lot slow motion to make Hercules better or any other characters better. Ratner's version of Steve Moore's Hercules is much better then the "other" one. But Ratner does okay. Grade C Expand
  66. Nov 5, 2014
    For the betterment of the individuals around me at the time, I tried to hide the trauma this one ended up causing me. I expected a brutal epic retelling of the ancient Hercules, who seemed perfectly cast by the way. And that ended up being the biggest problem. The Rock pretty much launched his Hollywood career as The Scorpion King. I liked that movie. I liked that character. He was angry,For the betterment of the individuals around me at the time, I tried to hide the trauma this one ended up causing me. I expected a brutal epic retelling of the ancient Hercules, who seemed perfectly cast by the way. And that ended up being the biggest problem. The Rock pretty much launched his Hollywood career as The Scorpion King. I liked that movie. I liked that character. He was angry, serious , and one heck of a BA. I did not get that from this portrayal of Hercules, one of the most BA ancient characters that exists. Had I known the cheesy and stylized edge this movie would have perhaps I would not be so harsh, but I know what Dwayne Johnson is capable of and how awesome he can perform as these mid evil characters. It really sucks to watch him squander his potential before everyone's eyes. Let's not rag too much, the guy got yoked for the role, like inhuman. He was huge. That is impressive. The fight scenes were brutal and sometimes just out there. Why would your leaders stress the importance of a phalanx then stand right outside of it during the battle? Wth? Watching The Rock thrash people is just fun but, I couldn't help but be disappointed. The plot proved interesting but wasn't really carried by anyone and just ended up being predictable because of the lack of good dialogue. We all know the BA The Rock can be. This is far from it. For shame. Expand
  67. Sep 5, 2014
    The trailer of this movie will definitely fool you. "Hercules" is just disappointing. Very predictable plot, the mythical aspect of things is not really there and no action at all. Overall, the movie is uninteresting to be honest , it will not entertain you for sure. So much hype for this failure.
  68. Oct 25, 2014
    Hercules delivers what it promises; A smooth action ride throughout the whole movie. Yes there is, unfortunately, the heavy CGI factor but there is also Mr.Dwayne Johnson. I'd say watch this movie just to have good time.
  69. WJS
    Jun 20, 2015
    Entertaining exploration of Greek mythology that's well cast, well directed and it looks very good. It written with a sense of humour and tends to steer away from melodrama. Over all it's not bad.
  70. Nov 12, 2014
    I love The Rock, but this movie was pretty average. Forgetful performance by the supporting cast of characters and some weak writing. Could have been so much better. Might be worth watching if you just like this genre of film and/or The Rock. They just missed the boat on this one.
  71. Nov 11, 2014
    This movie is like A Knight's Tale... but worse. I did not think that was possible. Seriously though, I actually quite like Dwayne Johnson as an action star. This is a serious step back in his repertoire. Two Hercules movies this year, two epic failures.
  72. Nov 13, 2014
    "Hercules" 10 Scale Rating: 6.5 (Decent) ...

"Hercules" 10 Scale Rating: 6.5 (Decent) ...

The Good: Johnson, already with a physique larger than life as it is, stands tall throughout the film and is not only an imposing mythical figure, but also pulls it off dramatically. Based on a graphic novel, the story at it's core is a solid one. A more human Hercules whose exploits are the work of tall tales based on real events, was a great idea and piqued my interest. Hercules was not alone though. His cohorts were also well characterized and interesting. I honestly rooted for them and hoped that they all lived. Veteran actors Ian McShane and Rufus Sewell especially stood out as members of Hercules' group of mercenaries. The pair had some of the best lines in the film.

The Bad: Unfortunately, the story falls apart somewhat and becomes overly straight-forward. This is to be expected for this sort of film, but it is a real let down regardless. Obstacles were presented and overcome at lightning speed before they even had time to set in. At times, the film was cheesier than it needed to be and some of the humor simply didn't work. Lastly, the antagonists were cliche characters that we've already seen in other films ... but not as deep or interesting. Hercules deserved better foes to fight. A much better film than I expected, but falls just short of being truly good.
  73. Nov 23, 2014
    Hercules was way better than I thought it would have been (I had very low expectations). Brett Ratner is suddenly getting better as a director, for a change.
  74. Dec 6, 2014
    Hercules has a fairly good cast and so the acting doesn't disappoint. There are some problems with this movie though, such as the storyline isn't the best. This is the kind of movie which is just a bit of fun to watch, it'll never be put down as one of the best movies of all time but it's good. It doesn't Appeal to all audiences though, so don't expect to like it.
  75. Feb 9, 2015
    2014 realmente não foi um ano com bons filmes épicos. Depois dos decepcionantes "300: Rise of an Empire" e "Noah", veio esta bomba. O filme em si é bem fraco, a história (que se soubessem contar direito, seria ótima) é fraca, os atores são fracos. A única coisa admirável nesse filme é o tamanho de Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, que a cada vez que a aparece em algum filme, aparenta estar maior2014 realmente não foi um ano com bons filmes épicos. Depois dos decepcionantes "300: Rise of an Empire" e "Noah", veio esta bomba. O filme em si é bem fraco, a história (que se soubessem contar direito, seria ótima) é fraca, os atores são fracos. A única coisa admirável nesse filme é o tamanho de Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, que a cada vez que a aparece em algum filme, aparenta estar maior ainda!!! Ele, como Hércules, é bem convincente... mais pelo tamanho em si do que pela interpretação!! Enfim, o filme não empolga, não inova, não surpreende. Eu, não recomendo. É o típico filme que irá cair em esquecimento muito rápido. Isso se já não caiu!!! Expand
  76. Jun 13, 2015
    Dwayne Johnson excels at the role of Hercules, but Brett Ratner fails to this new Hercules to live up to the expectations of fans. Ratner tried not to give Hercules the generic feel, but this movie was just plain boring. The myth of Hercules was completely lost in piles of boring nonsense
  77. Jun 10, 2015
    Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson provides audiences with a ridiculously, inaccurately enjoyable rendition of the Hercules myth. It must be said, this film isn't meant to be taken seriously. The best way to enjoy a popcorn flick like this, is to eat lots of popcorn and enjoy the raw nonsense that ensues. The movie fails to deliver in terms of narrative story and character development, and isDwayne 'The Rock' Johnson provides audiences with a ridiculously, inaccurately enjoyable rendition of the Hercules myth. It must be said, this film isn't meant to be taken seriously. The best way to enjoy a popcorn flick like this, is to eat lots of popcorn and enjoy the raw nonsense that ensues. The movie fails to deliver in terms of narrative story and character development, and is designed for the over the top action sequences it excels at. Whilst one cannot admit that this is a good film, it did provide for a fun movie experience that I don't regret engaging in. Expand
  78. Jun 26, 2015
    The trailer made this film look exciting and great..and it was anything but that. It was so boring and poorly written I almost wanted to get up and walk out of the theater.
  79. Nov 19, 2015
    May be a more tongue in cheek approach to the legend and anti-hero, but it works well as a breezy action adventure with a slight comic bent.

Check out the movie here http://www.watchfree.to/watch-29eecc-Hercules-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  80. Feb 4, 2016
    The shot at a Hercules film would never work. Just keep that in your mind. This did pretty alright and it's not the best Hercules film we all have seen.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Jul 31, 2014
    Director Brett Ratner could boast solid source material in the five-issue Radical Comics series Hercules: The Thracian Wars by the late Steve Moore. They had a shot at something here, and they blew it.
  2. Reviewed by: William Goss
    Jul 30, 2014
    If anything gets lost in the mayhem, it’s Johnson’s reliably charming personality.
  3. Reviewed by: Sherilyn Connelly
    Jul 28, 2014
    Johnson is genuinely talented. He's often the best thing in bad movies, and Ratner's Hercules is, at the very least, pretty good.