6.7

1. Jul 6, 2013
    I first have to say that I have no problems with the performances; everyone did a great job in that department. Throughout the film Luli is drawing in a sketch book as she narrates and I really liked the simplicity of the drawings. No, what let it down (IMO) was a poorly put together script. They say it’s a bad idea to let the writer of a novel attempt the screenplay and I suspect this isI first have to say that I have no problems with the performances; everyone did a great job in that department. Throughout the film Luli is drawing in a sketch book as she narrates and I really liked the simplicity of the drawings. No, what let it down (IMO) was a poorly put together script. They say it’s a bad idea to let the writer of a novel attempt the screenplay and I suspect this is a case in point. It probably works very well as a book, but it really didn’t work on the screen in this form. I like the actors fine but I found little to like in the characters. Our main focus, Luli, has very few redeeming features; she was a victim of circumstance all the way through and I found it quite frustrating to watch I’m afraid. Sadly not one I can recommend.

SteelMonster’s verdict: NOT RECOMMENDED

My score: 4.9/10
  2. Aug 5, 2013
    Hick feels at times like a pointless movie that has an Indie vibe to it but the performances by Chloe Grace Moretz, Blake Lively, and Eddie Redmayne keep you engaged. Moretz is young but she's a star in waiting. She manages to perfectly capture the essence of a teenager and the conflicting emotions you're bombarded with when you feel lost and alone in life. The plot drags but again, theHick feels at times like a pointless movie that has an Indie vibe to it but the performances by Chloe Grace Moretz, Blake Lively, and Eddie Redmayne keep you engaged. Moretz is young but she's a star in waiting. She manages to perfectly capture the essence of a teenager and the conflicting emotions you're bombarded with when you feel lost and alone in life. The plot drags but again, the hopelessness of Moretz's situation and how the characters around her are affected and affect the course of actions that play out are enough. Expand
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    I'm not going to lie I was pretty entertained watching the whole thing, but really confused where they were trying to go with this, but still entertaining to watch.
  4. May 25, 2013
    This certainly isn't a good film for the star Chloe Grace Moretz to continue her career with. Not long after the visually stunning Hugo. But it's really not too bad when you come to think of other movies which came out in the same year and genre.

1. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    May 23, 2012
    I cringed.
  2. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    May 16, 2012
    For a movie that deals with rape, criminality, and even racks up a real body count, Hick is whisper-thin and instantly forgettable.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    May 14, 2012
    One of the most positive comments that can be made about Hick is that it advances Chloe Grace Moretz's claim to be one of the best young actresses emerging into today's spotlight.