Phase 4 Films | Release Date: May 11, 2012
6.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 25 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Andys_ReviewsJul 6, 2013
I first have to say that I have no problems with the performances; everyone did a great job in that department. Throughout the film Luli is drawing in a sketch book as she narrates and I really liked the simplicity of the drawings. No, whatI first have to say that I have no problems with the performances; everyone did a great job in that department. Throughout the film Luli is drawing in a sketch book as she narrates and I really liked the simplicity of the drawings. No, what let it down (IMO) was a poorly put together script. They say it’s a bad idea to let the writer of a novel attempt the screenplay and I suspect this is a case in point. It probably works very well as a book, but it really didn’t work on the screen in this form. I like the actors fine but I found little to like in the characters. Our main focus, Luli, has very few redeeming features; she was a victim of circumstance all the way through and I found it quite frustrating to watch I’m afraid. Sadly not one I can recommend.

SteelMonster’s verdict: NOT RECOMMENDED

My score: 4.9/10
Bruce722Aug 5, 2013
Hick feels at times like a pointless movie that has an Indie vibe to it but the performances by Chloe Grace Moretz, Blake Lively, and Eddie Redmayne keep you engaged. Moretz is young but she's a star in waiting. She manages to perfectlyHick feels at times like a pointless movie that has an Indie vibe to it but the performances by Chloe Grace Moretz, Blake Lively, and Eddie Redmayne keep you engaged. Moretz is young but she's a star in waiting. She manages to perfectly capture the essence of a teenager and the conflicting emotions you're bombarded with when you feel lost and alone in life. The plot drags but again, the hopelessness of Moretz's situation and how the characters around her are affected and affect the course of actions that play out are enough. Expand
OmarGarciaSep 18, 2012
I'm not going to lie I was pretty entertained watching the whole thing, but really confused where they were trying to go with this, but still entertaining to watch.
python2000May 25, 2013
This certainly isn't a good film for the star Chloe Grace Moretz to continue her career with. Not long after the visually stunning Hugo. But it's really not too bad when you come to think of other movies which came out in the same year and genre.