Buena Vista Pictures | Release Date: March 5, 2004
7.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 50 Ratings
Watch Now
TheQuietGamerMar 15, 2011
A remarkable that is based on a true story, Viggo Mortensen gave a great performance, the movie will have you hooked and dying to see how it ends, a truly fantastic movie.
seagulls55Sep 27, 2011
a predictable movie.....but still worth a watch coz of the horse HIDALGO ,the lead actor Viggo Mortensen and locations of ancients arabia...beautifully directedand good photography....
PatC.Jun 30, 2006
Your chance to see "A" actors in a "B" movie. A plot with possibilities is continually interrupted by scenes that are excruciatingly stupid.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
Jollyjoe1000Nov 22, 2015
It is a good western.The racing scenes are poetry in motion.One of the best parts are defiantly the design of hidalgo.(The horse) A wild paint horse is perfect. I just do not understand why people do not like this movie.
LeZeeFeb 14, 2017
In an unfamiliar territory, everything's a big challenge.

In an unfamiliar territory, everything's a big challenge.

The film was inspired by the American legend Frank Hopkins and his horse Hidalgo. They sail across the oceans to the Arabian desert to take part in a race. This adventure tells their new experience in an unknown territory competing with the greatest riders of the region. Alongside a misunderstanding leads to an unexpected confrontation. From there, how they escape and make back to home halfway across the world is the remaining film to disclose.

A different kind of western that takes place in the original timeline of the cowboy culture which is the late 19th century. But the film has only one cowboy, because of where the story sets in. This film came straight after LOTR. Viggo Mortensen was good and his stunts were excellent. The initial parts that commence in America was heartbreaking and I liked the conclusion as well. It reminded me the animation film 'Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron'. Though the film was more about Frank Hopkins and the horse had a good influence on the story as the film title suggests. Long film, but worth it. Surely won't be a waste of time to give it a try.

FilipeNetoApr 14, 2018
This film has several points of interest. To begin, remember the importance of the horse to the man. The horse is truly our best friend. However, despite being an adventure film, it is not as adventurous as other such films. It has moments ofThis film has several points of interest. To begin, remember the importance of the horse to the man. The horse is truly our best friend. However, despite being an adventure film, it is not as adventurous as other such films. It has moments of great psychological depth, calm, humor and even sad moments. All this has value. I, at least, I was not displeased or felt that the film deceived me. Sometimes what deceives us is advertising.

Vigo Mortensen plays the lead role, with his mustang horse, and get a good performance, full of humanity and feelings, particularly visible when you talk to the horse or recalls his forebears. Your character is a man marked by conflicts against the Indians, with whom he sympathizes, to the point of knowing the language. Omar Sharif is also participating in this film, giving life to the Arab sheik, the host horse racing that the film portrays. As usual, the actor managed another great performance. The scenarios are great, as are displayed desert landscapes. The dialogues were very well thought out and avoid inelegant words.

This is a family film, essentially based on humanistic values ​​and is recommended for the whole family.