8.7

1. May 4, 2014
    High Fidelity is a fantastic romantic-comedy that perfectly captures the spirit of relationships gone sour. All set to a celebration of amazing alt-rock. For a certain generation, this film hits home hard. I am of that generation. Great stuff!
  2. Oct 18, 2011
    High Fidelity's best attribute is that it is so incredibly self aware and through that self awareness it exudes this sense of realism. High Fidelity is so incredibly real that your connection with John Cusack's Rob is so strong you get invested and you also understand him despite the fact he is an incredibly well thought out, written and acted character. He is joined by Jack Black and ToddHigh Fidelity's best attribute is that it is so incredibly self aware and through that self awareness it exudes this sense of realism. High Fidelity is so incredibly real that your connection with John Cusack's Rob is so strong you get invested and you also understand him despite the fact he is an incredibly well thought out, written and acted character. He is joined by Jack Black and Todd Louiso's Barry and Dick who add a sense of fun to the proceedings which is sorely needed because the main tone set by Rob is one of doom and gloom as he discusses the breakups that ruined him the most. Black especially pulls out all the stops with Barry being a delight because he is just so incredibly self confident despite the fact he is the most despicable of the bunch. This would have been hard to show if it wasn't for Black who really does pull out his best performance. Cusack is great as the bleak Rob and the only reason I don't say this is his best role is because he was just fantastic in Say Anything. (if you thought I was going to say 2012 you deserve to be shot). Overall the film has a confidence you rarely see in films and it knows what its trying to do in a way that by the time you leave the viewing you are extremely happy and satisfied, like me after a roast dinner Expand
  3. Jun 8, 2014
    This is an underrated movie in my opinion. The dialogue in the music store and the structure of the flashbacks is very interesting and funny. Considering that I just caught this movie on TV and was not expecting anything, I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone wanting a light-hearted comedy.
  4. May 13, 2013
    This would make my Top 5.
    The secret to making a good film is the soundtrack and this film nails it. Its a story of heartache, love and the bits inbetween told pretty much first person by a Record Store owner.
    This would make my Top 5.
    The characters in the film are padded out well and do draw you in and you begin to feel who they are rather than empty vessels. There are some nice little double take moments and moments where the plot is directly told to camera. These feel correct in the context of the film and explain emotions and thoughts of the people on screen. Casting fits well with Jack Black doing his normal over the top character, John cusack as the confused Store owner. Even a Cameo by 'The Boss' Bruce Springsteen does not feel out of place. All in all a good solid film which I have watched several times and enjoyed them all.
  5. Oct 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. At the beginning of the movie I was thinking of just close it and surf the net. But I didn't !!! There is something that made me want to see more. This is NOT a boring romantic comedy; instead its a vivid enjoyable, fresh, peerless movie. Its like Cusack presenting his relationship more than just acting. I LOVE BONET!!!! and also Jack Black. I think the music references are the spark for everything. Expand
  6. Jan 7, 2011
    The characters are real, and therefore compelling. High Fidelity plays off the experience of most men, and does it perfectly. Jack Black, John Cusack, and Todd Louiso are simply brilliant.
  7. BlancoA.
    Feb 1, 2001
    This was my favorite movie of 2000 (with "Almost Famous" as a close second). Jack Black is incredible in this film, and John Cusack is his typical brilliant self.
  8. PicoP.
    Jun 1, 2001
    A brilliant movie, perfectly casted, scripted, and acted.
  9. AlecD.
    Feb 3, 2004
    It deserves every point John Cusack is incredible and the movie itself is hillarious and appeals to any man who has ever been in a relationship.
  10. LawrenceP.
    May 24, 2004
    To John Cusack, Stop doing movie's like America's Sweethearts...Keep up the good work.
  11. JoãoS.
    Oct 15, 2001
    Great movie, great story, great top 10 lists.
  12. EscapeFromThePlanetOfTheMulroneycakes
    Nov 29, 2002
    What a great movie. He may have moved the book from London to Chicago (to Nick Hornby and the Range's chagrin), but it doesn't matter because the film doesn't dwell on it - it's filmed in the city, sure, but no-one mentions the place. It could have been filmed anywhere. Which is probably the point; an everyman, living in an everycity, leading an everylife. Cusack is What a great movie. He may have moved the book from London to Chicago (to Nick Hornby and the Range's chagrin), but it doesn't matter because the film doesn't dwell on it - it's filmed in the city, sure, but no-one mentions the place. It could have been filmed anywhere. Which is probably the point; an everyman, living in an everycity, leading an everylife. Cusack is fab - who'd have thought you could do cinematic soliloquy so well? - and of course Jack Black can sing! All fat blokes can sing! Brilliant cameos by Ted Robbins and Zeta (why doesn't she ever get to play anyone Welsh?), wonderul soundtrack, great script, perfectly understated direction from Stephen Frears...I love this movie. But how the hell do you pronounce Iben Hjelje? Expand
  13. JackB.
    Jul 17, 2002
    Yo good movie.
  14. YoonMinC.
    Sep 26, 2003
    A refreshingly candid and reflective movie about a man growing into manhood. There's something about Western culture where men remain boys well into their 30s, fixating on their teen hangups memorialized thru endless listening to songs that awakened and defined their sexuality. While most movies lampoon or celebrate this facet of life, High Fidelity takes a long, hard look at its A refreshingly candid and reflective movie about a man growing into manhood. There's something about Western culture where men remain boys well into their 30s, fixating on their teen hangups memorialized thru endless listening to songs that awakened and defined their sexuality. While most movies lampoon or celebrate this facet of life, High Fidelity takes a long, hard look at its crippling--as well as its therapeutic--effects; but, not without humor(Jack Black is especially great)and without the easy sermonizing of neocon virtuecrats. For those like myself who belong to Cusack's generation, we may find much of ourselves--aspirations, frustrations, self-deceptions, justifications--in his long monologues. In its hunger for truth and its coming to terms with the facts of life, it's nothing less than beautiful. A comparable movie would be Truffaut's Love on the Run. Expand
  15. PatC.
    Jan 7, 2004
    Damn. Look at all these 10's. I'd like to intelligently point out some glaring flaw you all missed, but the whole thing rang true moment to moment. Non-critics who chart the the progress of their lives non-verbally will instantly recognize the pitfalls and rewards of maintaining the soundtrack of one's life.
  16. Flat23
    May 29, 2004
    This is definitely one of THE greatest and funniest and bestest films of all times...i am glad most people here agree with the 10 point vote, as anything else would be WRONG.
  17. JoeA.
    Dec 24, 2001
    When Black starts to sing, it's icing on a cake that satisfies on every level. The movie covers the waterfront describing relationships.
  18. Clint
    Aug 26, 2002
    Great like a movie is great but the book is better, although much of what made the book so good couldn't be scripted into the movie too well. john cusack-definately in my top five actors.
  19. MichaelS.
    Sep 22, 2006
    Surprisingly enjoyable. He makes a very interesting narrator and keeps you interested in this journey. And to Jessica A: that is why you are still single.

Even if it sometimes skips, it's consistently wittier and more idiosyncratic that most studio movies.
  2. Reviewed by: Jay Carr
    Sad, funny, brilliant.
    Causes us to leave the theater quite unreasonably happy.