4.3

1. JayH
    Feb 15, 2009
    Disney has always been out of touch with teen youth, and they seem to be drifting further away, with HSM 3 being a good example of that. The film is energetic, but the songs are unmemorable, the performances shallow and the story is silly. Lets just hope now that they are seniors the tortuous musicals will end.
  2. CuhawkI.
    Oct 31, 2008
    What a horrible movie and album. How does this sellout (movie) sell 200k (soundtrack) in the first week? The auto tune is actually distracting enough to the point where you can hear jumps in tone and note if you listen carefully enough. The movie is too bubblegum pop and not enough focus on music.
  3. BrandonA.
    Nov 3, 2008
    High School Musical 3 is a BIG WASTE OF MONEY! THEY RUINED DISNEY! This Live Action, Tween Star nonsense needs to STOP!!!!! Where are the CARTOONS?!? Where on earth is Mickey?!?!
  4. SamG
    Dec 2, 2008
    Not the worst film I've ever seen, but it comes pretty close. I wonder what Walt Disney (an anti-gay right wing conservative) would say if he saw what has his company has become. The music is fairly poor, the voices are fairly high and the whole thing is fairly crappy.
  5. ChadS.
    Oct 27, 2008
    The late Miles Davis once said on "The Arsenio Hall Show" that he hears music at basketball games. The renowned trumpeter wasn't referring to the Top 40 ilk that pumps out of arena loudspeakers; the legendary musician, whose "Bitches Brew" signaled the genesis of fusion, was talking about the squeaks that a shoe produces on the hardwood floor. In "High School Musical 3: Senior Year", The late Miles Davis once said on "The Arsenio Hall Show" that he hears music at basketball games. The renowned trumpeter wasn't referring to the Top 40 ilk that pumps out of arena loudspeakers; the legendary musician, whose "Bitches Brew" signaled the genesis of fusion, was talking about the squeaks that a shoe produces on the hardwood floor. In "High School Musical 3: Senior Year", Troy Bolton(Zac Efron) "can't stop the music;" he breaks into song even while the big dog on campus leads his team to victory. Is there a better way to portray a closeted athlete? The basketball court, or the stage: What is Troy's "Xanadu"? "A boy. An honest-to-God straight boy," that's how a counselor describes one of the music campers in Todd Graff's "Camp"; the boy who auditions with The Rolling Stones' "Wild Horses" on his guitar. Needless to say, it turns out that the seemingly straight boy is gay too, just like all the other male Stephen Soundheim worshippers. The position that "Camp" undertook, preserves the stereotype about the synonymy of Broadway music and gay men. Because "High School Musical 3: Senior Year" bears the Disney insignia, a chaste kiss is the only action that Troy gets out of Gabriella Montez(Vanessa Hudgens), but the absence of physical love doesn't account for the musical number("Scream") where Troy goes on a rampage in the empty school. Just for the record: boys shout, girls scream. When Jonah Hill screams(as in scream like a little girl) after happening upon a corpse in Steve Pink's "Accepted", he asks the other guys to keep his feminine flare-up, a secret. Is it just a desire to sing and dance that's eating away at Troy? When he gets off the phone with Gabriella(who's away at an early-acceptance program at Stanford), look closely at how Troy positions himself on the bed in the vicinity of his teammate(when the cat's away, the mice will play). The scenario comes scarily close to what goes down in Todd Solondz's "Storytelling" between Scooby(Mark Webber) and his "special" friend. "Falling Slowly", the achingly gorgeous ballad that Glenn Hansard and Marketa Irglova perform in John Carney's "Once", makes you believe that these two strangers are falling in love, because the music is real. The songs aren't show tunes; they're written for real life(for digital video). "Once" has the distinction of being the first truly heterosexual musical. The little indie did something interesting to the musical genre. Since the folk-based music did such a superior job of conveying tenderness and devotion than its imitative brethren; the love ballad, steeped in the musical theater tradition, has the effect of compromising the validity of a couples' love, with Troy and Gabriella's performance of "Can I Have This Dance?" being just one example, because their sentiments are being transmitted through a musical vein that's largely believed to be appreciated largely by women and gay males. Expand
  6. StephenU
    Oct 27, 2008
    Dreck. And the people who have sent this film to the top of the charts are also going to vote. That is terrifying.
  7. AlexG
    Mar 16, 2009
    Shame on Disney for not making any movies for teenagers. Disney needs to know that teenagers are deserved to watch movies about serious, realistic things such as pregnancy, drugs, gangs, etc. Disney needs to stop making any crappy movie like HSM!
  8. James
    Oct 27, 2008
    This movie has as little entertainment as Paris Hilton has talent. And Matt C, the last critic says that if your gay or EIGHT years old it's good but for everyone/thing else its as welcome as the apocolypse.
  9. Laurens
    Feb 14, 2009
    I'm a teen, and i found this movie AWFUL! I'm 12, and i can tell you that this is the worst movie of the year. God, why do some many other kids love this movie, i mean the movie is just, well, stupid, there's no plot. And, why did they ever create the F---ing thing! By the way, High school is not revolved around Teens trying out for musicals, how about pregnancy, and um, I'm a teen, and i found this movie AWFUL! I'm 12, and i can tell you that this is the worst movie of the year. God, why do some many other kids love this movie, i mean the movie is just, well, stupid, there's no plot. And, why did they ever create the F---ing thing! By the way, High school is not revolved around Teens trying out for musicals, how about pregnancy, and um, peer pressure. I don't care if its a tween/teen film, for those who love it, you're messed up and it's not cause' i can't enjoy it because i tried. For those of you who agree with me, If you haven't seen Sweeney Todd, which is one of my favorites of all time, you should, if you hated this crap... Sweeney Todd is so much better than the freakish, little baby, retard-movie High School Musical..... go see sweeney instead. I loved it. I HATE HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL. Expand
  10. DippyD
    Feb 19, 2009
    Simply atrocious.
  11. DanielK
    Feb 21, 2009
    Terrible.. nothing more really needs to be said. Not sure how anyone could sit through it. It even seems too ridiculous for pre-teens.
  12. AriN
    Apr 3, 2009
    It was one of the worst movies I've ever saw!!! The music was okay but the acting was terrible and the plot was awful. So I guess overall it was terrible.
  13. FreddyP
    Jun 29, 2009
    I don't mind having a cheesy storyline, I can deal with that, even as a 16 year old. I watched this film for the music. And the music DID NOT deliver like the past 2 films did. Unmemerable, and not particularly catchy. Just poor all around.
  14. FedUp
    Nov 3, 2008
    Ted Mack would have kicked this movie off of his show as that is how awful it is. Don't spend your hard earned money on this trash.
  15. AronJ.
    Dec 1, 2008
    I cant sit here and deny the success and fanbase of this movie, or the ones before it. Its huge and the kids love it. But, from someone who knows movies, its a mess, a horrid mess. Since its aimed at kids, the diologue doesnt have to be great, or even decent at all, and its not.
  16. AlexH.
    Dec 27, 2008
    I guess this movie is only good for eight year-olds that share an interest in Hanna Montana and who don't know Micky Mouse. I actually saw the movie and I gravely regretted it. The singing and the music is terrible; there is no plot sypnosis; the romance it nothing but common high school life (I don't even know why kids are calling it "so romantic"); the acting was terrible as I guess this movie is only good for eight year-olds that share an interest in Hanna Montana and who don't know Micky Mouse. I actually saw the movie and I gravely regretted it. The singing and the music is terrible; there is no plot sypnosis; the romance it nothing but common high school life (I don't even know why kids are calling it "so romantic"); the acting was terrible as well; and it completely lacked humor. I'm not saying it's a bad movie because I'm not a kid, but it's still safe to say the High School Musical 3 is one of the worst movies of the year. Expand
  17. HaroldT
    Oct 27, 2008
    Terrible excuse for a movie, don't know how anyone except for fans or little girls can even give this a 4.
  18. MarcusL
    Jan 24, 2009
    Good grief. This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. I'm not even going to go into detail. Becuase, well, it's too awful, abysmal and a word I can't use. You see, the first two HSMs made me nod my head in shame, dissapointed at what Disney have done. Then a third one came out, and I think Disney has destroyed ALL of my reputation from me. I remember when Good grief. This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. I'm not even going to go into detail. Becuase, well, it's too awful, abysmal and a word I can't use. You see, the first two HSMs made me nod my head in shame, dissapointed at what Disney have done. Then a third one came out, and I think Disney has destroyed ALL of my reputation from me. I remember when all that came out of Disney was good stuff. However, nowadays, Disney are still focusing on the younger audiences. ONLY the younger audiences. Come on, Disney! Make a violent movie! We grew up with you! Please, for all our sake, leave High School Musical alone! Expand
  19. MattD
    Feb 22, 2009
    I feel bad for those of you who actually had to go see this movie to know it would be horrible.
  20. HarryT.
    Nov 11, 2008
    People giving this film 10s and 8s because it is the best film in the series is like giving the flu a 10 because it is the least lethal disease i can think of. This film is part of the ruin that is modern disney. Disney's only hope lies in reinventing themselves and hoping that Pixar keeps up the quality and the rest of the company. For a Musical, the music in this and the other 2 People giving this film 10s and 8s because it is the best film in the series is like giving the flu a 10 because it is the least lethal disease i can think of. This film is part of the ruin that is modern disney. Disney's only hope lies in reinventing themselves and hoping that Pixar keeps up the quality and the rest of the company. For a Musical, the music in this and the other 2 films is horrible. In many modern musicals, there is a mix of music but in the HSM series it is just all pop and stuff that appeals to 8 year olds and under. The "teen" idea behind the film is horrible because these characters are impossible for any teen to empathise with. I mean how many teens do you know that have rich parents and are the popular kids of the school that always perform in the musicals and somehow manage to insult people while hanging out with their sibling? outside of the world of this kids' trash, there are no actual teens like these characters. Collapse
  21. Sep 13, 2010
    oh good this is bad not again its not fair its just not fair!! Not fair ahhhhhhhhhh!
    we can stop this madness now kill zak please yes we will

dont make me watch another oh no please.........]
  22. May 25, 2012
    A teenage musical film turned into an off-key performance. Their acting are just terrifying and this is not even a horror film! The story was too ordinary and predictable all the way from the first movie. I'm glad that this terrible High School Musical series is over.....for now......
  23. Mar 8, 2014
    The characters are just so shallow, you honestly don't care what they do. This would probably be a good time when you have nothing better to do.
  24. Jul 24, 2013
    que pelicula tan espantosa Disney se esta desviando a lo cursi y sobre absurdo un musical que tendria que tener un gran final de recuperacion despues de la 2 pesima una leccion sobre los musicales
  25. Mar 15, 2014
    okay the high school 3 is okay the fact there getting out of high school finally no more high school finally something to forward to . ................................
  26. Aug 13, 2014
    Pretty much the same silly plot, enhanced with some career choice dilemmas, "High School Musical" is much more ambitious than the TV films, but features the same idea that teen romance is more important than other things. Another profoundly failed attempt to discuss matters concerning teenagers. It is, however, undeniably much richer in terms of music, dancing and visuals. In spite of itsPretty much the same silly plot, enhanced with some career choice dilemmas, "High School Musical" is much more ambitious than the TV films, but features the same idea that teen romance is more important than other things. Another profoundly failed attempt to discuss matters concerning teenagers. It is, however, undeniably much richer in terms of music, dancing and visuals. In spite of its disturbingly pathetic views on growing up and going after dreams, it is entertaining, if don't expect much from it. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    The result unfortunately has the blandness of a mediocre TV sitcom.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    While Ortega and fellow choreographers Charles Klapow and Bonnie Story stretch their imaginations, there's something almost lazy about the picture's underachiever script.
  3. These are standard youth-movie dilemmas, but they're brought to life by the high-energy cast and the musical numbers, which Ortega shoots with electrifying pizzazz.