5.8

1. Sep 15, 2014
    "High Tension" is one of the better entries in the New French Extremity Movement. It's a very gory slasher film (it's one of the goriest mainstream films I've ever seen) with amazing cinematography and acting. I don't hate the ending as much as everyone else. There are some very subtle hints to how exactly the ending works, but they're not very obvious. You have to watch it again and pay"High Tension" is one of the better entries in the New French Extremity Movement. It's a very gory slasher film (it's one of the goriest mainstream films I've ever seen) with amazing cinematography and acting. I don't hate the ending as much as everyone else. There are some very subtle hints to how exactly the ending works, but they're not very obvious. You have to watch it again and pay attention to really get it. The biggest gripe I have with the film is that the dubbing is really bad. I suggest watching a subtitled version of the film if you can. If you can handle the extreme gore, I recommend it. Expand
  2. Aug 17, 2014
    It starts out pretty good. You gotta creepy dude humping a severed head. "Intriguing." A couple of hot french girls. "Alright." And some pretty cool gore. "I'm hooked!" And then you get slapped in the face with a terrible ending that completely destroys the film. Everything before the twist gets a 7/10. But, because of how much the ending ruins the mood, It gets a 5/10 - Mediocre.
  3. Feb 14, 2014
    Bad on so many points and good on so very few. It was confusing and definitely one of the stranger films out there. Though High Tension does seem a little more violent than it needs to be, what it was implying (the violence) is still not clear. Perhaps maybe it will be if one watches it more than once.
  4. Aug 28, 2013
    The film had a decent budget and the effects were pretty good. It lost me about half way through, but picked up again for a nice ending. Not a bad movie overall.
  5. Jan 13, 2013
    Not a good movie. This film is sooo boring. The twist at the end was the most disturbing thing. I mean what the hell..... I also cant understand that this film have so much gore and blood in it?! Before i watched the film i thought i get much more and blood to see, like in SAW. But in the end this movie is a standard horrormovie like nearly every horrormovie. "2 Teenagers drive across theNot a good movie. This film is sooo boring. The twist at the end was the most disturbing thing. I mean what the hell..... I also cant understand that this film have so much gore and blood in it?! Before i watched the film i thought i get much more and blood to see, like in SAW. But in the end this movie is a standard horrormovie like nearly every horrormovie. "2 Teenagers drive across the countryside to their parents after some time they get kidnaped and they must escape!" This is soo boring!! Collapse
  6. Jul 1, 2012
    I was one of those people who loved the twist in the plot - I didn't see it coming. Give this movie a shot. Its not 'too' scary, just tense and gory.
  7. Dec 22, 2011
    This film is an excellent shocker, which is more than I can say for most contemporary horror films.
    The style in which its shot keeps the viewer on edge until the end and the soundtrack adds to the heightened feeling of terror Alexandre Aja has created another great modern slasher horror movie. Be warned this film is not for the faint hearted but a must see for any horror fan. Alexandre Aja is part of The Splat pack who all look up to and worship Tarantino so it is not surprising that the violence is so superbly gritty.
  8. Nov 12, 2011
    I read about this movie online and decided to watch it after already knowing the ending...big mistake. Knowing the ending completely ruins the entire movie. Without going into spoiler territory, the only redeeming quality of this movie is the incredibly hot main character. That alone bumps this up to a 5 for me.
  9. Mar 12, 2011
    Un film angoissant et bien dans l'esprit du cinéma d'horreur francais, avec une cecile de france convanquante dans son role pourtant compliqué a jouer.
  10. Dec 26, 2010
    Carries on the tradition of slasher films. Tons of violence and gore, but not ridiculous like the Saw series. The movie doesn't make too much sense until the end where you'll either be surprised by the ending and or get pissed because you've been over-analyzing the entire film looking for a reason why. I was in the surprised "that's unexpected" camp, because it's a horror film. When wasCarries on the tradition of slasher films. Tons of violence and gore, but not ridiculous like the Saw series. The movie doesn't make too much sense until the end where you'll either be surprised by the ending and or get pissed because you've been over-analyzing the entire film looking for a reason why. I was in the surprised "that's unexpected" camp, because it's a horror film. When was the last time you saw a horror film with an epic story? It's good for what it is and I don't think it was every trying to be more than what it is. Expand

The film revels in blood and gore, but this is not just a run-of-the-mill splatter film. There's a lot of intelligence in both the script and in Alexandre Aja's direction.
  2. Like all horror films, High Tension builds to a final, sobering flash of chaos that settles all scores. Some viewers will hate Aja's movie for its end-game reveal; others will love it for the very same reason.
  3. Reviewed by: Lisa Nesselson
    Deftly juggles gore and suspense, and punchline holds an intellectual frisson or two for fans of gender-role speculation, but basically this is one more horror pic on the distinguished road already trodden by "Texas Chain Saw Massacre," "Maniac" and the like.