7.3

1. AG1
    May 7, 2011
    This movie is sick, it is gross and I loved it. If you expected something different, I understand you might not like this movie at all. But if you like grindhouse movies, you can not miss this one.
  2. May 9, 2011
    Hobo with a shotgun is a very entertaining movie, it does right by not trying to be normal and instead treats us to an over the top gore romp featuring sadistic punks, Metal Gimps and paedophile Santas. The film is Brilliant in every way with the over acting and the corny one liners.
    With a John Carpenter esq soundtrack what's not to love about a Hobo with a Shotgun delivering justice one
    shell at a time. Expand
  3. Jun 28, 2011
    Hobo with a Shotgun doesn't wink. It doesn't flinch. And it never refrains from going overboard in ways you've could never have imagined. The good * Very original ways of killing people * Ultra violent (see below) * Utterly ridiculous scenes * Bad guys are over-the-top, diverse, and original * Casting for several characters is great (Rutger Hauer as the Hobo is amazing, Nick Bateman as Ivan is perfect, and Brian Downey makes Drake a much more memorable character than you'd think you would expect)
    * Very nice cinematography in several places

The "bad"
    * If you're not comfortable with extreme violence, then some scenes will make you flinch. I don't mind it, but it goes beyond "normal violence" to the point that I would warn friends that it may be more violent than what they might expect since a lot of it is done in poor taste. We're talking stuff like flamethrowing a bus full of children and burning alive a mother and her baby in the dumpster they live. If you're cool with that level of violence, then it's all good.
    * The movie is a bit less funny than I expected. Instead of "OMG, uber-cheese", it made me go "OMG, that was crazy". Not "bad" per say, just different than what I expected.
    * The strength of the casting for several roles highlights the weakness of the casting in other roles.
    * David Brunt (the original Hobo in the Grindhouse trailer) was said to be casted as a cop. While true, you only see him twice for like 2 seconds.

Thumbs way way up. Turned out better than Machete, IMO. Or Grindhouse (either movie).
  4. Jan 26, 2012
    Hobo with a sho gun. Fantastic, destined to be a cult classic!. More pulpy than Pulp Fiction, more vengeful then Gran Torino. More ultra-violent than Clockwork Orange! The perfect blend that just manages not to take itself too seriously. And the opening soundtrack is breathtaking!
  5. BMF
    May 16, 2011
    This is the goriest movie I have ever seen the special effects guy must have worked some late nights. Rutger Hauer is great in the roll of Hobo a guy who is tired of all the filth in his new town and decides to do some cleaning up... with a shotgun. A damn good movie but dont go see it if you are scared of blood.
  6. Aug 15, 2011
    I'm a huge fan of the genre and this movie really didn't disappoint. A prime example of low art becoming high art. Brilliant cinematography, amazing soundtrack, solid acting and action in bucket loads. Surprisingly enough it manages to be quite touching in parts, mainly due to Rutgar Hauer's brilliant acting. When he starts talking you just can't help but listen. Remember his speech at the end of bladerunner? I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....' well he delivers similar speeches in this movie, one or two actually putting a lump in my throat. He plays an insanely believable hobo too. Genius casting there. I even preferred this film to planet terror. This is the best and most authentic grindhouse I've seen by far and probably the bloodiest, sickest film I've seen too, which in my messed up head is a compliment. Best line is 'you can't cure the world's problems with a shotgun...' Expand
  7. Jul 13, 2011
    This is a B-movie done right! Personally, I found this film to be far more entertaining and tolerable than Machete. Rutger Hauer is excellent as the Hobo, and he fully-embodies this role with all the right tones. Each time he appears on screen, he steals the show. The supporting cast is good, with Brian Downey giving an over-the-top but morbidly entertaining performance. Yes, it's as straight forward in it's storytelling as the title suggests, but it works well, partly due to it's short runtime. It's relentless, unapologetic, and hilariously gory, so if that appeals to your sensibilities, give it a look! Expand
  8. May 8, 2011
    Sheer, mindless fun with lots of over-the-top, stylized blood-'n-guts. Destined to become a cult classic that will have audiences laughing at it as well as with it.
  9. Sep 5, 2012
    Awesome and totally insane. Its has lots of killing and some creative deaths. The main bad guy is great and very crazy. Whats kinda silly is that the shotgun never gets reloaded in the entire film but who cares. Also there is so much swearing that sometimes it actually loses its impact and you think 'are you only gonna call him a piece of **** when you just called that guy a ****** **** ****** ***** ******?' and one time you can almost see him stop and try to think of a word he hasn't used recently. Definitely one of the most psychotically violent films ever and its done in good way, not an 'oh look, more blood, meh.' like many gory films. Some parts are quite funny too, in a psychotic way. Expand
  10. Mar 24, 2012
    Personally I thought ''Hobo with a Shotgun'' was brilliant.It delivers something better than most other films but on a low budget.Very exciting and you just want to watch more, in the high paced , highly violent action/Dark Comedy .Have recommended to friends.

1. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jul 2, 2011
    A continuous parade of slaughter.
  2. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    May 28, 2011
    Hopefully the last, of the fake trailer spinoffs of 2007's "Grindhouse." It makes last year's "Machete" look like "The King's Speech."
  3. Reviewed by: Amy Biancolli
    May 27, 2011
    Is it good bad? Nah. It's just bad. It's so bad it makes "Machete," the other movie based on a mock trailer from "Grindhouse," look like high-gloss Kubrickian satire.